Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where You Lead, I Will Follow, Gillmore Girls Season 7
candycane_girl
post May 16 2007, 03:35 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

I've never ventured into this thread before but my mom and I have had a habit of watching Gilmore Girls together every Tuesday night for the past few years. I have to admit, as one tv critic said, the characters were just starting to behave so stupid and so out of character that it was painful to watch at times. But I enjoyed the final episode and it seems weird that the show won't be there anymore.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
juls
post May 16 2007, 04:17 AM
Post #2

BUSTie

I am the same. Kind of a Mulder & Scully thing, although I'm not certain that those two ended up together.

Although it was very predictable and cheezy, I wouldn've never forgiven the show's writers if the finale didn't show Lorelei and Luke back together again. For a while I thought that Jesse was going to make a surprise appearance, but I'm glad that the show ended the way it did.

I am going to miss the quirkiness of Stars Hollow's residents' ...

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post May 16 2007, 03:55 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

Yeah. When this show was good it was really good: and then it just got bad.

I am a big sucker and I must say that it was a relief to finally see Luke and Lorelei resolved.

I remember an episode when Emily meets Luke at the hospital during some kind of crisis early in the show...and, after watching him do his Luke thing of being extremely concerned but energetically and dramatically aloof about Lorelei, she turns to him and tells him (something like) he's a jackass. Implying that he is "Just like Lorelei", and that they were perfect for each other: a thought which didn't make her very happy, but was nevertheless true.

I've been on edge about Luke and Lorelei ever since, because I knew we'd be just like Emily: forced to watch the two of them dithering around in stupidity about each other for years while knowing with full certainty that they were perfectly suited for one another and actually really loved each other.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
juls
post May 15 2007, 06:15 PM
Post #4

BUSTie

Oh how I will miss thee...

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Dec 7 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

as far as I am concerned Emily Gilmore is the best part of the whole show. I loved her bit with the message on the answering machine and her whole tirade to Lorelai was so right on.

I hope Luke gets custody of April. I like April. I like how Luke is a great father.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Dec 7 2006, 02:59 PM
Post #6

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

I can see your points Charlie, except that I think ChaCha and I are referring to Christopher unloading Gigi on Lorelai, not Sherry. Of course it's about damn time Sherry was an active participant in the raising of her child, even if it is over 3500 miles away (I looked that up!)

Anyway, Gigi has to come back at some point (Oh, it so pissed me off when he just went into Rory's room and started packing up her stuff so Gigi's stuff can go in there. I don't care how old Rory is, how unlikely it is she'll be spending many more nights at home- you don't go in there and start messing with her shit! Of course, I'm not sure how well Rory would take the phone call to come get it all) and he wants Lorelai to take care of her, plus have another? What an ass.

You're right about how she treated the wedding planner, though- how cute and simple would it have been to do a kitschy/retro Parisian theme? Fun and significant for Lorelai, and you could make it fancy enough for Emily's taste!

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Dec 7 2006, 01:03 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Emily is always awesome. That's her job!

And you're right--Lorelai was a bratty, snotty, "I don't want to be married to Chris!" imbecile, who treated her mother and the wedding planner like dirt, just because she can't admit to a big truth that is becoming obvious to all and sundry.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
CharliNye
post Dec 7 2006, 09:41 AM
Post #8

BUSTie

Sorry, but I was actually with Christopher through most of the episode.

I don't think he was forgetting Gigi at all. I think he was mainly referring to the child he had with Lorelai already. As for Gigi, it IS about time that Sherry stepped up to the plate and took care of her. I don't think of it as him unloading her (sorry this one bugs me, I was a divorced mother whose ex didn't step up to the plate for a while and now finally sees his son several days a week vs one a week). He is allowed to have some time to himself after Sherry so selfishly walked out of her daughter and HIS lives to go work in Paris for years.

As for changing Lorelai's habits, well she's in her late 30's and acts like she's 10 often. And in this episode it was more evident then ever before. Even I wanted to jump in the tv and slap her silly half a dozen times. I mean the whole incident with her mother and the wedding planner? I felt awful for Chris as obviously did her mother.

Chris was dead on that it seemed as if she had no problem saying I do and planning a big wedding with Luke but not with him. To me it seems as if she already regrets marrying him.

And as for food choices?? I think he's trying to urge her to eat better and not like a college kid. I mean seriously who at that age still still eats nothing but crap? I'm in my late 30's and if I tried to do that my system would revolt.

I think this whole episode showed Lorelai and Rory in a really awful light. The writers lost me with this one.

That whole Marty/Lucy thing was a joke. I'm serious, give me a fucking break. It was three years ago and they were friends, never dated though he liked her and they had a falling out because of Logan and even Rory treating Marty like crap. No wonder he pretended not to know her. Though that was seriously dumb as hell. And that chick acts like a five year old who can't get the tiara cake for her birthday. Shut up! It's NOT like they had a secret affair and had been lovers.

For once I actually thought the men in this episode were in the right. And it's about time Luke stood up to that sketchy bitch Anna. Sorry but there's something majorly fishy with that one.

I still think April will turn out not to be his. And where the hell did they get that lawyer? No rights my ass. He had no say for 12 years because the mother kept her from him and now conveniently shows up and then takes him away because it suits her. wrong.

Oh and Emily was awesome.

So yeah, all the men and Emily were the only ones worth this episode. The women came across just horrid.

And what surprises me is that I usually NEVER have a bad word to say about this show no matter how weak the episode.

--------------------
Not a newbie, just a username gone awry.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Dec 7 2006, 05:26 AM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Dec 6 2006, 06:41 PM) *

Was it just me, or did Christopher seem to *forget* about Gigi when he proposed his "let's make a baby" idea to Lorelai? When he said "The last one turned out okay", referring to Rory...or was it just implied that he meant the last one with Lorelai....cuz it sounded to me like he meant the last kid he had, with Lorelai or not.

Ugh, that scene was the most manipulative. Chris has been written as the absolute worst father and husband I've ever seen portrayed on television. When Gigi was born, he wasn't even thinking of being around--Lorelai and Rory were stuck looking after his crazy girlfriend when she gave birth! Remember also that at the same time, he was cheating on his pregnant girlfriend with Lorelai! And he was a graciously absent father where Rory was concerned from the moment of conception to over-the-top-luncheon as she's about to graduate from Yale. He's always had this likeable veneer (but I always thought that was something we were supposed to see because of Lorelai's persistent adolescent feelings about him), but really, he's really neglectful.

So now he's sulking because he's jealous that Lorelai held an infant in the presence of Luke (the diner guy?) and she doesn't want to:

1) move from a town where she's lived for all of her adult life, and where she's built a business she seems to want to continue to run
2) up and have another kid when he's planning to unload his latest one on her even though she's still working on his first abandonned child, and even though she's approaching her 40's already and probably wants a break from running after his cast off babies for a while?
3) change from having the kind of crappy food choices she's always made--even though he thinks he can determine what she eats now, too? That supermarket scene was just terrifying and so "my way or the highway" of Chris.

No wonder Lorelai's so resistant to everything he suggests.

Yeah, I think the lawyer was a little negative about Luke's chances of getting April for partial custody. I know our legal system can be slanted towards the mother, but to say he has little chance of gaining custody, someone who obviously wants to help raise his daughter, who's had his choices taken away from him for the past 12 years?

And has no criminal convictions (Luke was feeling guilty about a traffic accident in that interview--it's his only "brush with the law") and a stable, profitable business, and owns property in a town he contributes a great deal towards, and can provide for April in terms of time and means. And who warrants enough trust that April's mother has no qualms with leaving her daughter with him for weeks at a time while she goes off to look after her own mother. What judge would deny him, at all?

If I can remember this stuff, and you can remember this stuff, how come the writers on this show are so quick to forget it all? Makes me wonder if they've ever seen this show before they were hired to turn it into a soap opera/drinking game.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Dec 6 2006, 05:24 PM
Post #10

Was it just me, or did Christopher seem to *forget* about Gigi when he proposed his "let's make a baby" idea to Lorelai? When he said "The last one turned out okay", referring to Rory...or was it just implied that he meant the last one with Lorelai....cuz it sounded to me like he meant the last kid he had, with Lorelai or not.

Poor Lorelai having to take on being a mom to Gigi- who the hell wants to get married on a whim, have to raise a young step-daughter who has some issues (which are bound to have multiplied when she gets back from Paris- how long is she supposed to stay there, again?) and think about having another kid with a guy you're not so sure about?

Yeah, I think the lawyer was a little negative about Luke's chances of getting April for partial custody. I know our legal system can be slanted towards the mother, but to say he has little chance of gaining custody, someone who obviously wants to help raise his daughter, who's had his choices taken away from him for the past 12 years? It will be interesting to hear, once the legal proceedings go forward, what April has to say about this, what she wants to do. Yes, I agree the actress's portrayal of April can be a bit heavy-handed at times, but she's a socially awkward 12 year old girl- who wasn't overly emotional and dramatic at that age?

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Dec 6 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

Anyway, there needs to be more hand to hand combat on this show!

Exactly what I was thinking. With some kickcing and dragging thrown in for good Yuletide measure (plus, I imagine Luke wears a good, sturdy workboot where Chris wears sneakers).

Yeah, that was funny considering (and now we're gonna argue) meek n' mild Chris started it after a teary lonesome beer session. He does like his alcohol, that one. And he'd have to be a little tipsy to think he could take Luke on--there's definitely a size discrepancy there.

Anyway--it was due.

Now I'd like Logan to take on creepy, stalky Marty--cause I predict Logan is about to be dumped.

--------------------

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Dec 6 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

Okay, how hilarious was the fight scene between Luke and Christopher? Seriously, I gasped but only in a "omg, this is too funny" way.

I can't stand the art girl. She annoys the hell out of me and if I actually knew someone like that in real life I would do my best to stay far far away from her.

And I think that she definitely over-reacted to the fact that they already knew each other. How come people on tv never give the other person a chance to explain? And even then, what was there to explain? "We've known each other since freshman year but your boyfriend is an asshole who decided to pretend that he didn't know me." the end.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Dec 6 2006, 01:33 PM
Post #13

Jesse?????

Are you guys talking about Marty????

Or are you talking about Jess, Luke's nephew??

So confused.

Arty girl's name is Lucy. I know because ((shhh!)) that's my name. Yeah, total drama queen. I can imagine being miffed about it, but that was an over-reaction. Certainly not worth leaving good, cheap Indian food for (I hope Logan was gentleman enough to pay for the meal.) Logan's still an ass for letting the cat out of the bag, though.

Anyway, there needs to be more hand to hand combat on this show! Just kidding. I wonder if either of them will ever admit that happened. Christopher's sheen is wearing of- ha! I never liked him. And good marriage advice coming from Emily? Wow, never saw that coming.

My opinion of the Jess character is still out there- I started watching the show about 3/4 of the way through season 3, when most of the Jess drama had simpered out. I'm Netflixing all the earlier episodes though and just got my last disc of season 2, so I'm almost there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rizzo
post Dec 6 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #14

BUSTie

Isn't it sad? "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" was on last night, so I only turned to GG during the commercials. What I saw was less than impressive. The only part I liked was the realistic portrayal of a college student stealing cereal from the dining hall.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Dec 6 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

Kitten, I hated (HATED!!!!) the Jesse character passionately, really because Rory was such a doormat around him and it made me really nervous every time they had a segment together. I kept thinking: what other kind of debasement will she show us now? Ugh. Though the last time he showed up, with his finished novel in hand, it looked like he was trying to grow up a bit and he was not such a bastard around Rory. Course, when Logan showed up to feel intimidated by him, Rory happily resumed her doormat stance with him...

...and so I'm glad Heroes is catching on.

And my problem with Logan outing them comes from the fact that Rory told him she would handle it when it could be done appropriately. But that wasn't good enough for Logan, and Logan was feeling insecure around Marty and his 4 jobs, so Logan told what he knew to get revenge on Marty and put Rory back in her place as his cute l'il gal. He hadn't counted on the fact that Arty would be humiliated by his exposition, as she was; and in the end, he didn't even care.

Now, if Rory hadn't made it clear to him that she would handle it at a better time than at a dinner date, an invitation he accepted out of Arty Girl's kindess and willingness to accept him as Rory's friend, Logan might have been justified--but only if he "told" in such a way that didn't cause Arty so much pain.

Everyone used to expect better of this show.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Dec 6 2006, 10:48 AM
Post #16

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

I am happy to say that Milo is doing very well on Heros so will hopefully never have to come back to GG.

Yeah the fact that "boyfriend" and Rory kept it as a secret does make it look like there was something to hide. I have no problem with Logan outing them as I do not understand what they were doing.

The whole fight scene just seemed weird and out of tone with the whole show. It was just such a stereotypical "stupid male" thing to do. I used to expect better from this show.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
wombat
post Dec 6 2006, 10:44 AM
Post #17

Dragon Velocity

It was more arty girl -- gosh, she's so stereotyped we can't even remember her NAME! boobling on and on about, Isn't it weird and hilarious that Jesse has so many jobs?! Math and common sense are not her strong suits.

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Dec 6 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

Well, for one thing, Arty Stereotype girl will feel angry because it looks like both her boyfriend and Rory were hiding something from her. And they were. Logan, however, is an ass for bringing it up (especially after he and Marty were goading each other with their remarks). I do recall that Rory told Logan she'd bring it up with her friend when the time was right--and that dinner, that evening, the time was not right.

So I can understand that Arty S. is furious. Plus, she's by nature overly dramatic--she's a stereotype! Whatd'ya wanna bet Rory has to choose between the Trust Fund Baby Logan, with all his promise of republican stability...and devil-may-care, bohemian temperament Jesse and his novel writing? We'll have to see how well Milo Ventimiglia does on his new show to know whether or not his attendence will be requested back on GG for some taut but hackneyed dramatic tension.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wombat
post Dec 6 2006, 10:17 AM
Post #19

Dragon Velocity

I only saw the last fifteen minutes or so, as my guy fell in love with a special about a native american rock-climber in Yosemite. He is such a PBS dork sometimes smile.gif

I could have insisted, but for Gilmore Girls? Nah.

Interesting that Rory is getting so disenchanted with Logan, but i can't see what the big deal is about arty girl dating Jesse years later. "You didn't TELL me!' Why tell you? It was years ago and I was only beginning to get to know you when he appeared, telling would look more like "staking a claim and it's a big deal" than NOT telling.

but, TV being TV, Rory can't just come out and say this, they will drag it out till the end of time.

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Dec 6 2006, 08:37 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

I think the story line involved a paternity test to test between a number of different potential fathers, and Luke was the one who was "most likely to". But I can't see the characters ever being involved closely enough to make a baby; Luke and Anna together? Not bloody likely. What did he see in her?

Like you, candycanegirl, I'm a bit annoyed at the direction that arc's taking now too--Luke's legal chances of gaining custody rights are so much better than what the "lawyer" tells us they are on the show, which is so frustrating.

But I suppose Luke had to be put in a bad mood somehow, so that he wouldn't walk away from DrunkChris' big punch-out challenge. That fight was lacking something. Not just a musical backdrop of irony, or witnesses to try and stop it--what it really lacked was a definitive knock out, where Luke walks away and Chris just limps away.

I hate last night's episode more every time I think about it. Once again, only Kelly Bishop and her wonderfully patient wedding planner made it worth the effort, as we all know that on her best day Lorelai's transparent "I don't wanna be married to Chris!" rudeness would be silenced by a one word witticism from that man (and I so wanted him to say it!). Forever.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 24, 2014 - 05:06 PM