Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why I Love Or Hate My Job!
thirtiesgirl
post Oct 9 2008, 01:29 AM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(neverending @ Sep 25 2006, 03:11 PM) *
I was a Phlebotomist/Lab tech for 4 1/2yrs. and I loved the job but I hated all the bullcrap associated with it (backbiting,Gossip, Physicians&RN'S that think they are God,etc).I am now in Nursing school and I feel I have made the wrong choice.Don't get me wrong!I am a people person but I really don't want the stress and responsibility that comes along with Nursing.There are millions of jobs out there and I wanted to know why you all love or hate your jobs so maybe it could help me make a decision as to what I want to do with my life. I am currently thinking about Radiology, Surgical Technology, and Dental Hygiene.Any thoughts?

I know this was written in 2006, and I don't know if neverending is still posting or still around, but I'll offer my two cents. My mom got her RN license and worked her way up the food chain at the clinic where she was employed, until she became the manager of the phlebotomist lab and all the nurses and techs who drew blood (which is what a phlebotomist is). She was happy doing that job for many years.

Personally, as a school counselor, I love the relationship I have with some of 'my' kids at work. I hate some of the pointless administrative crap we have to do, along with the usual pettiness that seems to exist at almost every school I've ever worked, from the lowest clerk on the totem pole ("please don't touch my stapler on my desk") to the administrators who talk about other staff members behind their backs and then do petty things like restrict some staff members' computer access because admin is unhappy with the way they're doing their job, or throw said staff members under the bus at staff meetings.

Most days, I prefer the kids at work to the adults.

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Oct 8 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm a CNA in a nursing home. I love hanging out with old people and taking care of them. I like that I get exercise and stay busy.

I hate how stressful it is, and I know all about the backbiting, gossip, and god complexes too. It's emotionally draining (but emotionally fulfilling too).

+Quote Post
missjanuary
post Oct 8 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(neverending @ Sep 25 2006, 06:11 PM) *
I was a Phlebotomist/Lab tech for 4 1/2yrs. and I loved the job but I hated all the bullcrap associated with it (backbiting,Gossip, Physicians&RN'S that think they are God,etc).I am now in Nursing school and I feel I have made the wrong choice.Don't get me wrong!I am a people person but I really don't want the stress and responsibility that comes along with Nursing.There are millions of jobs out there and I wanted to know why you all love or hate your jobs so maybe it could help me make a decision as to what I want to do with my life. I am currently thinking about Radiology, Surgical Technology, and Dental Hygiene.Any thoughts?

That is really ironic, im looking into the same occupations as well! Im leaning towards Dental Assisting.

+Quote Post
neverending
post Oct 3 2006, 01:02 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

Pepper:I know what you mean! I hate gossip/backbiting and will not tolerate it at all. I think if your not in the gossip click then you are a target because they feel you are trying to be better than they are.I hate it!

turbojenn:I did'nt realize they had another thread until after I posted this one.I went over to the other one but did'nt get much response.Oh well! smile.gif

+Quote Post
pepper
post Oct 3 2006, 10:44 AM
Post #5

this is kind of a strange place for this thread. working girls would be better, i think.

i'm off work for four months of stress leave 'cause of backbiting gossipy ick. i'm never going back to that job either, what the hell for? i can do something else.

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Oct 3 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

uh....why is this in Our Bodies, Our Hells, and not in Working Girls? ...just a thought.

And there's already a thread over there for "what the hell do I do with my life," or something like that, so you may get more responses over there.

I will say that backbiting, gossip and egos exist everywhere, so just try to use your run-ins with the more unsavory parts of working as an opportunity to learn more about yourself, and how to thrive when the environment isn't exactly what you wish...then try to create the working environment that you desire.

Good luck!

+Quote Post
mamiwater
post Oct 3 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #7

BUSTie

love teaching, hate the early hours, the rigid structure, and the paperwork

+Quote Post
neverending
post Sep 25 2006, 05:11 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 30, 2014 - 10:27 PM