The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

> This Just In..., The News Thread
ginger_kitty
post Jan 8 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

nickclick, that made me even more affraid to go to jail!!

girltrouble, I agree, they definately aren't showing enough footage about the war. I think more people would realize we need to get out of there if they saw more of what is going on. I read an article that said only like 37% of the troops in Iraq think that it is a good idea that they are there. The rest just aren't backing Bush, I think the American public needs to hear more of this from the actual soldiers over there. And more images of the wounded, to make things seem more real. But I have always been opposed to publicizing executions, though. It seems barbaric.

I guess as a non parent, myself, it is really easy to jump to the conclusion, that the parents must have been partially at fault. I have always had troubles believing anyone of sound mind would watch something like a hanging on TV, then try to re-enact it.

--------------------
-We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.

-What we think, we become.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Jan 8 2007, 08:17 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

in my local paper today: First accuser testifies in jail officer's rape trial

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jan 7 2007, 05:58 PM
Post #3

new highs in personal lows daily!

i don't know, i think it should have been. i think there has been precious little blood shown being shed from this stupid war, and part of the problem is not seeing the repercussions of war, and a stupid president's stupid mistakes.

i know i don't have any kids, so it's easy for me to say the parents weren't doing their job, but not showing what is going on in iraq is irresponsible imho.

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post Jan 7 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

I never considered my bra, saving my life!!

On a serious note I agree, about the parents being somewhat careless about that kid. But the hanging never should have been have televised.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wombat
post Jan 6 2007, 09:00 PM
Post #5

Dragon Velocity

That is High-larious, freckle!

Hoo! Hah!! Here comes wonder woman! Blockin' bullets with her bra!

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jan 6 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #6

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Interesting article about all the good stuff The Gates Foundation is doing, but the bad news about how their investments canceling it all out.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
freckleface2727
post Jan 5 2007, 09:55 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Bra Slows Bullet Fired Into Air in Florida

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (Jan. 5) - A woman watching New Year's Eve fireworks from a picnic table found out that her bra can do more than lift and support: It also slowed a falling bullet.

The .45-caliber bullet struck Debbie Bingham, 46, after someone fired a gun into the air about 20 minutes before midnight. She still needed stitches, but the wound might have been much worse except for the bra strap, police spokesman George Kajtsa said.

Bingham, who was in town from Atlanta, said she is thankful for the undergarment, which she said was "very cheap."

"I'd love to have a couple more of those bras," she said.

Bingham said she was listening to music and enjoying the fireworks with her daughter and son when she felt a sharp pain in her shoulder.

Then Solanda Bingham, 30, noticed blood seeping through her mother's white shirt, and they found the bullet lodged halfway into the gold-colored bra. The other half was barely breaking the skin, Bingham told WTSP-TV.

Kajtsa described the wound as a "big scratch with bruising."

St. Petersburg police were searching for the shooter to determine if the shooting was intentional, Kajtsa said.

01/05/07 17:01 EST

all I can say is, I want one of those bra's! as a matter of fact, I think every Bustie should get one.. imagine the publicity for the company were they to advertise in the mag? ok I'm being silly but WOW.

--------------------
I am a *spark* in this world; get lit.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Jan 5 2007, 04:36 AM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

I don't think you'd find many parents who'd think that was okay--but many parents don't supervise their children's TV viewing 100% of the time, just because it's impossible. That hanging was shown over and over again, for several days. I'm still hearing about it and seeing "bits" of footage everytime it's mentioned on TV, and it's days after the event.

It's also 2007 now, and the phenomenon of people tragically copying the imagery which is repeatedly shown on television is neither new or suprising. A police officer who throws the blame on "parental neglect" when the images the child imitated are everywhere is simply expressing an opinion that isn't based on reality. But the opinion does suggest that parents are supposed to pick up the pieces and the slack whenever seriously fucked up societies think the kind of public brutality you'd see in a hanging is acceptable.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
mouse
post Jan 4 2007, 02:41 PM
Post #9

Most Likely Procrastinating

although seriously, what parent thinks it's okay for a 9 year old to watch a hanging???

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
girlygirlgag
post Jan 4 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #10

Super BadAss

""It was an accident which happened due to carelessness of parents," said district police chief Sultan Ahmad. ""

Um parental neglect? Try Media neglect.

--------------------
Constantly on.

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Jan 4 2007, 02:01 PM
Post #11

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

ohmy.gif I have no words.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
mouse
post Jan 4 2007, 01:54 PM
Post #12

Most Likely Procrastinating

unbelievable. apparently saddam's TELEVISED (seriously, who ARE we, as a WORLD, that we feel the need to SEE these kinds of things??) hanging has sparked copycat suicides.....including one by a nine year old boy.

we are already in hell.

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
wombat
post Jan 4 2007, 10:32 AM
Post #13

Dragon Velocity

Y'know what's even funnier, polly?

Me and my boyfriend had just netflixed, watched, and returned Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

He had never seen it. And I was thinking, isn't it funny that noone has talked about UFOs for awhile?

girltrouble -- I did see coverage in The Boston Globe, a fairly intelligent and liberal newspaper, and, unlike most places in the world these days, young hipster types I know actually read it.

There was also a lot of coverage of the African Meeting House anniversary.

But, yeah, a mayor being shot -- you'd think it would get some TV. Louisiana.

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jan 3 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #14

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Heh, Le Boy just blogged about the UFO sighting at O'Hare.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jan 3 2007, 06:48 PM
Post #15

new highs in personal lows daily!

npr:Louisiana City's Mayor-Elect Found Dead

Day to Day, January 3, 2007 ยท Gerald Washington, who was to be the first black mayor of Westlake, La., was found dead of a gunshot wound on Saturday. The local coroner has ruled the mayor-elect's death a suicide, but Washington's family questions that finding. Eric Cormier, a reporter with the Lake Charles American Press, talks with Madeleine Brand.

this i find utterly shocking-- particularlly the lack of coverage nationally. even npr has it squirreled away on their westcoast day show, day to day, but is not covering it other wise......i really have a hard time thinking race isn't involved in that. if this was a white mayor anywhere, there would be many more questions.....i just don't buy the suicide story here. ---huh?
who would work tirelessly for a year to get into office, only to kill yourself a few days before you take the oath? and who kills themselves by shooting themselves with your left hand when your right handed, and if you were to shoot yourself in the chest, would you hold it normally, bending your wrist? or hold it backwards, using both hands, thumb on the trigger, the other hand steading it? and more than that...who's gun was it? there is just way too much wrong here.

thanks for the thread, bunny... my head was gonna 'splode otherwise....

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
wombat
post Jan 3 2007, 06:39 PM
Post #16

Dragon Velocity

By Jon Hilkevitch

In the sky! A bird? A plane? A ... UFO?
Video: UFO over O'Hare Airport?

Published January 1, 2007

It sounds like a tired joke--but a group of airline employees insist they are in earnest, and they are upset that neither their bosses nor the government will take them seriously.

A flying saucerlike object hovered low over O'Hare International Airport for several minutes before bolting through thick clouds with such intense energy that it left an eerie hole in overcast skies, said some United Airlines employees who observed the phenomenon.

Was it an alien spaceship? A weather balloon lost in the airspace over the world's second-busiest airport? A top-secret military craft? Or simply a reflection from lights that played a trick on the eyes?

Officials at United professed no knowledge of the Nov. 7 event--which was reported to the airline by as many as a dozen of its own workers--when the Tribune started asking questions recently. But the Federal Aviation Administration said its air traffic control tower at O'Hare did receive a call from a United supervisor asking if controllers had spotted a mysterious elliptical-shaped craft sitting motionless over Concourse C of the United terminal.

No controllers saw the object, and a preliminary check of radar found nothing out of the ordinary, FAA spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory said.

The FAA is not conducting a further investigation, Cory said. The theory is the sighting was caused by a "weather phenomenon," she said.

The UFO report has sparked some chuckles among controllers in O'Hare tower.

"To fly 7 million light years to O'Hare and then have to turn around and go home because your gate was occupied is simply unacceptable," said O'Hare controller and union official Craig Burzych.

Some of the witnesses, interviewed by the Tribune, said they are upset that neither the government nor the airline is probing the incident.

Whatever the object was, it could have interfered with O'Hare's radar and other equipment, and even created a collision risk, they said.

The Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (the term that extraterrestrial-watchers nowadays prefer over Unidentified Flying Object) was first seen by a United ramp worker who was directing back a United plane at Gate C17, according to an account the worker provided to the National UFO Reporting Center.

The sighting occurred during daylight, about 4:30 p.m., just before sunset.

All the witnesses said the object was dark gray and well defined in the overcast skies. They said the craft, estimated by different accounts to be 6 feet to 24 feet in diameter, did not display any lights.

Some said it looked like a rotating Frisbee, while others said it did not appear to be spinning. All agreed the object made no noise and it was at a fixed position in the sky, just below the 1,900-foot cloud deck, until shooting off into the clouds.

Witnesses shaken by sighting

"I tend to be scientific by nature, and I don't understand why aliens would hover over a busy airport," said a United mechanic who was in the cockpit of a Boeing 777 that he was taxiing to a maintenance hangar when he observed the metallic-looking object above Gate C17.

"But I know that what I saw and what a lot of other people saw stood out very clearly, and it definitely was not an [Earth] aircraft," the mechanic said.

One United employee appeared emotionally shaken by the sighting and "experienced some religious issues" over it, one co-worker said.

A United manager said he ran outside his office in Concourse B after hearing the report about the sighting on an internal airline radio frequency.

"I stood outside in the gate area not knowing what to think, just trying to figure out what it was," he said. "I knew no one would make a false call like that. But if somebody was bouncing a weather balloon or something else over O'Hare, we had to stop it because it was in very close proximity to our flight operations."

Some joke, others research

The databases of various UFO-watching groups are full of accounts filed by pilots about sightings of unknown aircraft and anomalies that affected navigational equipment onboard planes.

Whether any of the UFO incidents are real or merely the result of individual perceptions, some experts say the events pose a potential safety risk to pilots and their passengers.

"There have been documented cases where safety appears to have been implicated, and more and more we are coming to the point of view that we are dealing with an intelligent phenomenon," said Richard Haines, science director at the National Aviation Reporting Center on Anomalous Phenomena, a private agency.

"We must be proactive before an aircraft goes down," said Haines, a former chief of the Space Human Factors Office at NASA's Ames Research Center.

Haines is investigating the O'Hare incident. He said he has determined that no weather balloons were launched in the vicinity of O'Hare on Nov. 7.

"It's absurd that the military would be conducting aerial test flights" near the airport, Haines said.

All the witnesses to the O'Hare event, who included at least several pilots, said they are certain based on the disc's appearance and flight characteristics that it was not an airplane, helicopter, weather balloon or any other craft known to man.

United denies UFO report

They're not sure what was hanging out for several minutes in the restricted airspace, but they are upset that no one in power has taken the matter seriously.

A United spokeswoman said there is no record of the UFO report. She said United officials do not recall discussion of any such incident.

"There's nothing in the duty manager log, which is used to report unusual incidents," said United spokeswoman Megan McCarthy. "I checked around. There's no record of anything."

The pilots of the United plane being directed back from Gate C17 also were notified by United personnel of the sighting, and one of the pilots reportedly opened a windscreen in the cockpit to get a better view of the object estimated to be hovering 1,500 feet above the ground.

The object was seen to suddenly accelerate straight up through the solid overcast skies, which the FAA reported had 1,900-foot cloud ceilings at the time.

"It was like somebody punched a hole in the sky," said one United employee.

Witnesses said they had a hard time visually tracking the object as it streaked through the dense clouds.

It left behind an open hole of clear air in the cloud layer, the witnesses said, adding that the hole disappeared within a few minutes.

The United employees interviewed by the Tribune spoke on condition of anonymity.

Some said they were interviewed by United officials and instructed to write reports and draw pictures of what they observed, and that they were advised by United officials to refrain from speaking about what they saw.

Federal agency backtracks

Like United, the FAA originally told the Tribune that it had no information on the alleged UFO sighting. But the federal agency quickly reversed its position after the newspaper filed a Freedom of Information Act request.

An internal FAA review of air-traffic communications tapes, a step toward complying with the Tribune request, turned up the call by the United supervisor to an FAA manager in the airport tower, Cory said.

Cory said the weather might have factored into what the witnesses thought they saw.

"Our theory on this is that it was a weather phenomenon," she said. "That night was a perfect atmospheric condition in terms of low [cloud] ceiling and a lot of airport lights. When the lights shine up into the clouds, sometimes you can see funny things. That's our take on it."

----------

Contact Getting Around at jhilkevitch@tribune.com or c/o the Chicago Tribune, 435 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611. Read recent columns at chicagotribune.com/gettingaround

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post Jan 3 2007, 05:58 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

Crap, I have nothing to say right now, but I'm so glad you started this thread! I've often thought we needed a thread like this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Jan 3 2007, 05:38 PM
Post #18

hehe, *waves back* (((freespirit)))

yeah the world is a newsless place...

although 2006 was a good year for losing some bad, bad men: Milosevic, Pinochet, Hussein.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
free_spirit
post Jan 3 2007, 04:16 PM
Post #19

BUSTie

(Unlurks)

Hi Bunny!

(((Bunny)))

Ok, I'm out of here, I have nothing constructive to add.

--------------------
Don't Follow Your Dreams... Chase Them.

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Jan 3 2007, 08:21 AM
Post #1

This Just In ...

BUSTies needed a thread to discuss current events. Girlygirlgag suggested a thread where we can break and discuss news and a few of us agreed as the I am gonna miss 'em and Celebrity Gossip threads elevate the passing/execution/miracle of Saddam Hussein's literal demise (by miracle I mean that it's miraculous that the sham of a trial got that far).

It's a thread we've needed for a bit as people are usually unsure of the "right" thread in which to post world or local news (sometimes it's eaten up in Kvetch or Okay by that thing called life.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
59 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic

59 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 27, 2014 - 04:56 PM