The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creatively Self-employed..., For inventive gals who are or want to be their own bosses!
alluna
post Dec 18 2008, 04:01 PM
Post #1

BUSTie

Hey gang,

I'm always looking to feature Etsy artists on my site, so if anyone is interested, toss me a PM. It's a small gallery-type feature that will hopefully get the word out about your goods.

Oh, I'm not talking about ad space here, it's an artist feature on my site at About.

--------------------
Rain Blanken
'Rain Strong!'
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lustandgore
post Dec 8 2008, 12:19 PM
Post #2

Thanks mouse. I will check Etsy out today. I appreciate the suggestion.

Unfortunately, it seems that, unless you have a stockpile of cash, at least a part time job will be needed while business gets up and running. It definitely takes away from the free time . . .

As we rollergirls say, "Roll out with your hole out!"

--------------------
Aurora Gory Alice
Owner, Lust & Gore Hardwear (www.lustandgorehardwear.com)
Arizona Renegade Rollergirl

+Quote Post
mouse
post Dec 7 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #3

Most Likely Procrastinating

lustandgore, just a thought, but how about, in addition to your regular site, setting up an etsy site? the reason i suggest is that i know etsy gets TONS AND TONS of traffic, and they have their own marketing and customer base already. once you get popular there, people will follow you to your regular site. you could use it like just another advertisement kick. good luck!

lately i've been having all of these good ideas for branching out and starting my own stuff. i even found a company that prints custom fabric in small runs!! a friend and i want to start a line of something small and printed with one of the screenprinter guys from my work (teatowels or something along those lines) but none of us can get our act together fully while juggling full time (and often more) jobs. it's frustrating, because the fulltime job gives the funds for starting something new, but it takes away any time you could have to work on it. argh.

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
lustandgore
post Dec 6 2008, 02:24 PM
Post #4

My partner, Lusty Crush, and I just started a business. Our website, www.lustandgorehardwear.com just went live the day before Thanksgiving. One order is it so far. It's a great idea. We customize cowboy hats, military caps, and make original jewelry designs with hardware. The idea is to make people feel hardcore, and badass. It is our way of bringing that great feeling roller derby has given us to the people of the world. It is a badass, in your face, "I am who I am and I know you want to be me" feeling and attitude. Still, only 1 person has elected to try that feeling on for size. Traffic is not bad, about 100 visitors per day, but no one is buying. So, we spend all day marketing. Flyering, friending, posting, doing press releases, link exchanges, and the like.

It might be a bad time for a good business idea. Lusty is applying for a couple of flexible part time jobs since my work experience doesn't really lend me to part time work. So I will press forward at this rate for a couple more months and then look for big girl work if things don't pick up. Boo to the big girl jobs! I want this to work . . .

--------------------
Aurora Gory Alice
Owner, Lust & Gore Hardwear (www.lustandgorehardwear.com)
Arizona Renegade Rollergirl

+Quote Post
eyelet
post Nov 17 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

Actually, my website has always been my primary venue. I do about equal parts wholesale and retail because I manufacture the stuff. The commercial space was a branching off from that. That's why leaving the space was just a mistake, not the end of the business. Sales are down now of course, but because it's virtual I can operate very lean and will likely weather this phase that is taking out other small businesses. I'm frustrated by the drop in sales, but it has made me prioritize and get creative. Am freelancing web and pr work now to cover the gap. At some point I'll probably register another ID in the lounge I don't need to be anonymous and I'll post in the self-promotion thread.

+Quote Post
caroline_no
post Nov 16 2008, 02:14 PM
Post #6

BUSTie

Thanks for that, Eyelet. I don't own my own business yet, but like to know what to look for when I do. Hm, maybe you need to move your home decor biz online for awhile. I hate saying that because I enjoy the experience of visiting live stores, but.. Maybe we'll see more co-ops soon, too.

+Quote Post
eyelet
post Nov 14 2008, 10:10 AM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(caroline_no @ Nov 12 2008, 10:26 PM) *
Eyelet, I would like to know what the big mistakes are in running your own biz and how to avoid them. I hope your own experiences were not too bad!

The biggest mistake was not using an accounting software from the very beginning and not truly understanding basic business accounting. I thought that since I'd always managed my personal finances fine, it would be easy, but it very quickly became more than I can handle. About 3 years in I finally had a grasp of it, by which time I discovered I'd lost quite a bit of money in unbilled invoices and even some credit card income that had never posted to my account by the merchant service. Now, of course, I feel like I could teach a course on business accounting, but I was forced into learning.

The other mistake was signing a commercial lease several years back because I let my ego do the thinking for me. It was a really cool space that matched the aesthetic of my line and made me feel successful, but I had no business committing to that overhead without a reserve of cash in the bank. The owners promptly sold the building and the variable fee called "triple net" (which covers taxes and property maintenance) nearly doubled, making the rent unaffordable. Exiting the lease cost a lot of money and headaches.

So now I'm much more humble and careful, but I do wish I could have the prosperity of those first few years combined with the knowledge of the present.

I could go on and on, but would be happy to answer questions when I can about specific things you are considering or dealing with.

+Quote Post
caroline_no
post Nov 12 2008, 09:26 PM
Post #8

BUSTie

Eyelet, I would like to know what the big mistakes are in running your own biz and how to avoid them. I hope your own experiences were not too bad!

+Quote Post
eyelet
post Nov 12 2008, 03:58 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm self-employed for six years now. This is the toughest year yet because I sell non-essential home decor and not many people are buying. Am in the process of making big cuts to overhead to pull through this phase. I think I've made most of the typical mistakes if anyone wants to know how to avoid them.

+Quote Post
angelle321
post Nov 8 2008, 04:44 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

Are there still any self-employed busties around?

+Quote Post
mouse
post Feb 29 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #11

Most Likely Procrastinating

wow. sometimes spam is so surreal and beautiful.

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
angelle321
post Feb 20 2008, 02:50 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

Just checking in. Business things still kind of stalled at the moment while I'm getting the website built and waiting for it to warm up a little! Then I'll start trying to get some HS senior shoots booked.

How is it going for any of you other self-employed Busties?

+Quote Post
truliegifted
post Jan 4 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #13

BUSTie

Thanks for the link! SWEET....have a great weekend everyone..

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Jan 2 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #14

A symphony of atrocities.

hey tru you should go to the shameless self promotion thread
and tell everyone about your new venture.

--------------------
"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." -Exodus 22:18

+Quote Post
truliegifted
post Jan 2 2008, 05:57 PM
Post #15

BUSTie

I'm in the process of getting my company up and rolling. Trying to find the time between my day job and creating handbags/accessories. Let me tell you, it's a real pain. But I'm excited to work for myself and see my product all over. Thanks for the article hopefully I will be able to absorb this knowledge to better me and my company.
Check it out, www.truliegifted.com or http://truliegifted.blogspot.com/

Happy New Year

+Quote Post
angelle321
post Dec 30 2007, 04:42 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

The shoot ended up going very well. I got a few portfolio shots out of it and made a little extra money. I'm hoping in a few more months I'll be able to start getting some high school senior portraits to do. Otherwise it has been very very slow. Alas.

+Quote Post
car
post Oct 26 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #17

for being here so rarely, how do I have so many damn posts?!

I'm currently trying to explore some options to either be self-employed or doing part-time work from home....since we moved in late August, I've been a stay-at-home mom to my boys (3 1/2 and 1 1/2) and while I know financially we need me to bring in more income, it breaks my heart to think about returning to the workforce full time and paying a significant chunk of my salary out in childcare.

One thing I've just started looking in to is Miles of Marketing (http://www.milesofmarketing.com/home.html) which is an awesome concept, using Moms as a street team marketing angle. The money isn't much, but I'm hoping by piecing together little creative $$ makers like this, it will help me in my efforts to stay at home longer. If anyone is interested in joining M.O.M., I can answer most of your questions, or you can just email Liza directly.....

+Quote Post
kiss_the_fiddler
post Oct 26 2007, 12:19 AM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(shinyx3 @ Oct 8 2007, 07:35 PM) *
woo hoo! our company has something to sell. now quick, i have to make a site to sell on.

what are you selling?

i want some.

--------------------
Everybody loves the truck!

+Quote Post
kiss_the_fiddler
post Oct 26 2007, 12:18 AM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

angelle, how did your shoot go? get lots of good shots that you can use? did you have fun?

I finally got the needed papers from the state. I'm legal now (with the state). still need to get a tax number. anyway, one thing down. yippee!

fiddler

--------------------
Everybody loves the truck!

+Quote Post
angelle321
post Oct 13 2007, 03:00 PM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

Now that I'm pretty much ready to go, I'm getting kind of impatient for things to get going. I pretty much want my growth just to be by word of mouth to start out because I'd hate to get in over my head with the business parts. But I need those first few mouths to start the ball rolling. I have a shoot with a friend of my mom's tomorow but she can't afford to pay me much and so I'm mostly hoping for some portfolio shots. Maybe she'll help bring more business my way as well.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 16, 2014 - 01:58 PM