Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

13 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Go Ahead...ask Me About My Abortion
i_am_jan
post Feb 10 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #81

Hardcore BUSTie

Datagirl: it's okay to have conflicting feelings datagirl. ((((hugs)))) It may take you a little while to work through all of those emotions. Abortion is not an easy choice to make, it's one of the most difficult (if not the most) any woman will ever have to make, so it's normal to have emotions and be sensitive about it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
datagirl
post Feb 10 2008, 07:13 PM
Post #82

Hardcore BUSTie

I had an abortion last year August the 15th.
I would have been due around April (I really don't want to know the actual date). I'm beginning to feel alot of sadness
regarding the seposed birth of the baby I carried for just seven weeks.
I'm starting to think about it more often.And if I see an ultrasound on TV I get a bit emotional.
All the feelings come back to haunt me.I remember a couple of days after I had the termination I was really
teary.Crying all the time.I know that it was the pregnancy hormones but it felt real to me at the time.I had to go through all that at work too.
Something I never want to have to do again.
I know that I made the right decision for me.So why am I getting so emotional?

+Quote Post
obelix2
post Feb 8 2008, 09:46 AM
Post #83

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks, Anarch. I've never had one, and I hope I never have to (but would in a heartbeat if I got pregnant). I've wondered exactly how the procedure goes.

+Quote Post
anarch
post Feb 7 2008, 12:34 PM
Post #84

Hardcore BUSTie

Just like a woman,

I'll post what I remember of mine, but it was a year ago so a lot of the details have gotten fuzzy. I didin't opt for sedation, but a lot of women do, which means they might not have been conscious of many details and maybe wouldn't remember much.

I went to PP around 10 a.m. and left around 2 pm or so (very busy clinic so I think they wre about an hour behind). They called me in the first time to talk about why I was having the abortion, make sure I was sure about my decision (and unpressured by my husband, probably - we'd started talking to a girl and her friend ni the waiting room, and Mr Anarch told me afterwards that one of them said "Why don't you go in with her?" He said, "Well, they probably prefer to talk to her alone because I could be abusive or something"), and talk about what birth control methods I planned to use. She probably also filled me in on how the procedure works, aftercare information, and prescriptions (painkillers I think, and birth control) but I can't really remember. I told her I didn't want general sedation and she said that was ok, they'd just inject a local.

Went back to waiting room, waited, was called in for the ultrasound. The tech asked, "If it's twins, would you rather not know?" I said I wouldn't mind knowing, but it turned out it was just one. She told me how many weeks along it was. Can't remember anything else about that. Went back to the waiting room.

They called me in to the surgery room. The aide had me undress - bottoms off definitely, but I think they let me keep my short-sleeved top on (I think they needed to take my blodo pressure so long sleeves wouldn't have worked). I was shivering with cold from nervousness. "Put your underwear on top" of the pile of clothes, they said - turns out because the aide put my underwear on for me, afterwards. I put one of those blue sheet thingies over my hips. She had me sit in the chair, put my feet in stirrups. Doctor came in, we chatted about the protestors outside. They went over again, in more detail, how the abortion would proceed. I think (please correct me someone if I get this wrong) they put in a vag speculum, injected a local anaesthetic (into my cervix?) - it took more than one injection, maybe 3 or something, but the first one froze sensation fast so the subsequent ones were more pressure than pain.

I suppose the vacuuming came next. The aide gripped my hand tightly and I was grateful for that. How long did it last? It wasn't one long continuous burst. There might have been 3 times of suctioning, lasting maybe 5-8 seconds each? The doc warned me before each time. Didn't really feel like anything but suctioning, not painful exactly but a sort of strong pressure pulling outward, and as I posted before I beamed love and gratitude toward the foetus, asked it to come back later when I'd be better able to take care of it, pictured its soul returning to the Universe, asked the Universe for things to turn out ok.

When they'd done I felt really cold (shock?), heart thumping, lightheaded. The aide put my underwear on. They told me to put my shoes on (or did I already have my shoes on? can't remember) - anyway, told me to grab my clothes, anddirected me to the recovery room: lots of reclinable doc's office-type chairs with women in them covered in electric blankets, munching on crackers and drinking juice. The electric blanket was fantastic since I was so cold. The juice was to wash down antibiotic pills, and the crackers because taking the antitbiotics on an empty stomach might make you vomit them back up. I put my clothes on a neighboring table or chair. They took my blood pressure, which was sky high,both numbers, and worried the person who took it, but when she asked someone else about it they said "Oh, that's very common with people who don't get sedation," so she just kept on taking my bp ever few minutes to make sure that it would come down and it did within about 10 minutes. I'd have loved to stay there under the blanket for a while but of course they needed the chair for others, so I probably was in it for 15 minutes total before I said I felt ready to stand up and walk.

They showed me into a one-stall bathroom to change into my street clothes and check how much blood was on the maxipad (the aide must have put a maxipad into my underwaer before she put them on me). They gave me a birth control pill prescription, directions on how and when to start them, went over again the aftercare directions and what to watch out for (bleeding heavily like filling up more than several maxipads in an hour). I went out into the waiting room, my husband drove us home, I took a tyleno or advil or something (there was somewarning about using one but not the other, can't remember the reason) as a pre-emptive measure against pain though I wasn't really feeling much. I sat on the couch listening to an audiobook until I fell asleep. Never had to fill the prescription for a stronger painkiller. My bleeding lasted for less than a week and was never heavy. I don't remember any clots but I may have had some (if so, nothing interesting).

If I had to do it over again, I'd be happy with surgical again. The main reason I chose surgical rather than medical was the thing about the pills maybe not being able to get everything out and so I might have to go in and get the surgical procedure anyway, to make sure everything was out. I hate having to redo things just because the first attempt didn't work properly. The fact that I had someone to drive me back was huge though. They strongly recommended not using public transportation by myself, to get myself back home.

+Quote Post
Just like a woma...
post Feb 6 2008, 08:23 PM
Post #85

Hi, all. This thread is amazing and offers some wonderful advice, especially on the emotional effects of having an abortion.

I just found out that I'm pregnant and have a surgical abortion scheduled for February 15. I went back and forth between surgical and medical but was convinced to go with the latter when the nurse on the phone told me that I could have blood clots the size of oranges. (I saw that another person heard they were the size of lemons. What's with all of the citrus fruits?)

The long, detailed post on medical abortion is wonderful and almost swayed me back to that option. If anyone is willing, could I have a similar description of a surgical abortion? Anyone have an opinion as to which is less painful, etc.? Any medical abortion ladies who would go the surgical route if they had it to do over? Vice versa? I know that it is a personal decision, but I'd really appreciate any guidance.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
anarch
post Jan 29 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #86

Hardcore BUSTie

*clinks glasses with I_am_jan and other Busties*

To reproductive freedom!

Also, I still thank Cod I made the right decision and had that abortion.

Thanks again, I_am_jan, for starting this thread.

+Quote Post
knorl05
post Jan 25 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #87

Hardcore BUSTie

check it. interesting "debate" on yahoo answers regarding abortion. sign up and say your piece.

o boo. it was deleted. nm.

--------------------
We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
- M.C. Escher

+Quote Post
i_am_jan
post Jan 23 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #88

Hardcore BUSTie

Just a bump. And a toast ~ to life, and to reproductive freedom of choice! It's here. It's not going away. And we're going to tell our stories like it's no thing but a truth thing. We'll not be afraid to use the word 'abortion' anytime it applies to our lives. PEACE!

+Quote Post
i_am_jan
post Dec 26 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #89

Hardcore BUSTie

princess evangeline: Thank you so much for taking the time to get that all down. It's really going to help guide someone through the whole thing letting them get some idea of what to expect. It's so great this info is out there! I actually referred a young friend here recently who is facing an unplanned/unwanted pregnancy and was so glad this was all here, good information straight from women who've made these choices.

PEACE ALL smile.gif

+Quote Post
anarch
post Nov 27 2007, 12:17 PM
Post #90

Hardcore BUSTie

bunnyfluf, thank you for such a detailed description. All that info is important for each person to make her choice an informed one. Beck and princess, thanks also for yours.

Not directly related to abortion, but it's been on my mind - I was just talking with my brother the other day about our parents and what a shit our dad was to our mom, and too bad she had to marry him instead of someone who'd have treated her better - someone who'd have been at her level of maturity, instead of dragging her down and making her wonder if she was the crazy one. We agreed that while we think our lives add value to the world, if it would have made our mom's life better, of COURSE we'd have been happy never to have been born.

Anyway, what a great resource this thread is. Thanks all around.

+Quote Post
princess evangel...
post Nov 19 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #91

BUSTie

QUOTE(bunnyfluf @ Nov 16 2007, 06:23 PM) *
so sorry i disappeared -- got swamped with work and a pinched nerve. :/ but, here goes with the long and winding descrip:

i had my appointment at PP on the 23rd. i wasn't really worried about what protesters would say, as i was committed to my decision, but fortunately none were about. i went in, went through the metal detector while the guard glanced through my bag, and then went into the waiting room to check in. my name was called a couple of times to check insurance info and stuff like that before being called back by a nurse. they asked for a urine sample and then we went for an ultrasound (vaginal). the nurse/technician was very efficient so it was over quickly with a minimum of discomfort. i was then led to the lab where they did a finger prick and collected a small pipette of blood to test my iron levels and rh factor. i was then sent back to the waiting room for a bit.

next, the counselor called me back and we sat in a small room while she made sure that i understood the procedure, including possible risks, and asked me why i was choosing to have an abortion, as well as why i chose the medication method over the dnc method. i told her that i wasn't in a good place personally to be raising a child right now, and the person who happened to be the father was not someone i was wanting a serious relationship with. i also told her that i chose the medication method because it seemed much less invasive to my body and because i wanted to go through the process in the comfort of my own home, rather than the clinic. she thought these were reasonable answers, and asked if i had any questions or concerns. the only doubt i had was that really strong cramps often trigger back spasms from an old accident, and if not taken care of with the proper drugs, could trigger full-body muscle spasms, so i asked for a prescription for percocet. i knew that i had a good reaction to this drug, and it didn't make me loopy at all, just pain/spasm-free. she wasn't sure if they'd be able to write that scrip for me, but she would check. she then sent me back to the waiting room to await the nurse practitioner, who would be giving me the actual medicines.

then the nurse practitioner called me back. she asked me again if i understood the procedure and risks, and i confirmed that i did. the medication abortion works by taking one medicine in the clinic, which stops the pregnancy from developing any further. it was said that this first medicine had possible side effects of nausea, cramping, and possible spotting, but i didn't have any of these. then a second medicine is taken 24 - 48 hours later, and this medicine is what starts the bleeding and passage of pregnancy tissue, and can be accompanied by nausea and strong cramping. the nurse gave me the first medicine, a prescription for anti-nausea medicine to take before the second dose, a prophylactic course of antibiotics, and a prescription for the percocet i was afraid i'd need, along with plenty of informational pamphlets and phone numbers to call in case of emergency. she also gave me a shot in the shoulder of something because i have a negative rh factor, that would prevent any problems in an ensuing pregnancy, in case the baby were to have a positive rh factor.

i took the first medicine in her office, took my other pills and prescriptions and pamphlets, and then checked out. that was that. total time in the clinic: two hours. i wasn't feeling any of the potential side effects or anything other than normal, so i actually went to work for a few hours. my business partner could tell something wasn't right with me, but i wasn't about to go into it with him, so we just hammered away on a few tasks before i went home. i had been expecting to feel worse, and had cleared out my schedule as much as i could, so didn't have much to do except wait for the 24 hours to pass so that i could take the second dose of medicine.

finally, the time came, wednesday evening. i took one of the anti-nausea meds and a preemptive dose of ibuprofen for the cramps an hour before the med, as recommended, so that they would have time to take effect. then i took the four tablets of the second med and held them between my cheek and my gums for an hour, two on each side, as recommended by the PP staff to minimize the nauseating effects. it wasn't that bitter, mostly just chalky. after the hour, i rinsed the rest of the medicine down with a glass of water, as it hadn't dissolved completely. almost exactly an hour after that, i started cramping, mildly at first, but swiftly increasing in intensity. i usually like to take a hot bath to relieve cramps, but baths (and swimming) were prohibited, as that would increase the chance of infection. i took a hot shower instead, but it wasn't helping, and i was starting to feel shaky and dizzy and nauseous, and i could feel my temperature rising as my body reacted to the pain. i had been told a low fever was normal and expected, so wasn't worried. the cramping was swiftly getting worse to where i couldn't sit still or find any comfort, so i took one tablet of hte percocet. within 20 minutes, i couldn't feel the cramping anymore, and just felt normal (again, because percocet doesn't make me loopy like other narcotics, esp valium).

i was told to avoid tampons, which made sense to my body anyway, and to wear pads. i usually use a diva cup, and they said that would probably be fine to use, but again, my body didn't feel like having anything inside it at the moment, so i just used pads. i could feel the material building up, rather than freely leaking out, so i went to the bathroom, sat down and pushed. a flood of tissue and blood came out, very thick, some kind of grainy. the counselor had told me that i could expect to pass clumps of tissue as large as a lemon, which freaked me out a little at the time. i didn't pass anything that large in a coherent clump, but that amount of material may have been about right by the end of the process. this continued for a while, where i would feel it build up, and then go to the bathroom and push it out, maybe every 30 minutes to an hour or so. i made a batch of cookies, and watched the quentin tarantino movie, death proof (probably not the smartest movie selection, but oh well). every three hours or so i would start to feel the cramping again, so i would take half a tablet of the percocet. the amount of material i was passing was dwindling and becoming less tissue and more blood, and was healthy happy looking blood from a normal period, i.e. bright red and not too thick, not too watery.

i had taken the medicine around 6p, started bleeding around 7p, and it was now 2a. i felt like i had passed everything i was going to pass and the cramps were receding so i went to bed. i woke up around 4a from cramping, so took another half-tab of percocet, went to the bathroom to see if there were anything to push out, and then went back to sleep. woke up around 9a, and just felt like a normal period. the "normal" flow rate continued on for about 7 days, so longer than a regular period for me. then i continued to spot very little dark brown blood for the next three weeks, up till today, when i think i've started a new period.

i went for a follow-up appointment two weeks afterwards, on the 6th, so that they could see if the pregnancy had actually terminated and all the pregnancy tissue had been passed. i had taken a home pregnancy test the night before and it showed negative. the nurse was a little surprised when i told her that, because apparently it can take up to six weeks for the hormone levels to go back to normal after the abortion. she said it was a sign that i would probably have a usual period sooner rather than later, as it can be anywhere from 4 - 8 weeks after an abortion to have the next period. their way of confirming the abortion was another vaginal ultrasound, and mine showed that my uterus was indeed back to normal size. the total time in the clinic was only about half an hour this visit.

i wouldn't say it was an easy process, but i think it went as well as could be expected, due mainly to the percocet, which minimized the pain and therefore minimized distress and fever and other side-effects. ibuprofen had absolutely no effect on the cramping, as it was just too intense to compensate for, so i would recommend a stronger pain reliever to anyone else considering this process, something that you know your body tolerates well. i hope i won't have to do this again, but if i do, i won't be afraid and will be able to understand what is happening to my body a little better. also, the only pregnancy symptom i had while pregnant was very tender breasts, which continued for a couple of weeks after the abortion as well. i hope that is a good sign if i become pregnant later, that i won't have horrible morning sickness? *fingers crossed* i also seem to have gain a cup size (B -> C) and this hasn't decreased yet. i can live with that tho. smile.gif

i hope i wrote this out well. feel free to ask any questions you may have. thank you to everyone in this thread for their support and well-wishes.

voodoo princess here< I too have had this medication method abortion, at a private clinic, and I was administered the medication intial dose the same way, in the office, HOWEVER, I was instructed to NOT take the 2nd dose orally and to instead insert the pills into my vagina..... this seemed odd to me but I was not very very familiar with this procedure and the nurses told me that the 2nd dose is given orally OR vaginally and either is acceptable...... My experience was very like BUNNY's and I did not feel well at all after the 2nd dose took effect and passed very large amounts of "solid matter"...... I do think the recovery time was short, shorter than would have been with a regular DNC..... What really freaked me out though, is that after all this was done, I find out that this "vaginal" administration of the medication is HIGHLY discouraged and can be quite dangerous..... the clinic told me they recommended it because it was "faster" and more"efficient" but never indicated the danger involved.... I was quite upset when I found out and very relieved that I did not have any complications...... While I do recommend this procedure if abortion is something you feel you need to do, I also recommend you research the procedure and not just take some clinics word on everything because there are clinics out there who don't follow the rules and a short cut like the one they had me take could kill you..... If I had known, I would have taken the medication the way it was designed to be taken.....

+Quote Post
beck
post Nov 19 2007, 07:51 AM
Post #92

Hardcore BUSTie

hey BUSTies. I have been thinking about posting in here for some time now - I hope this is not derailing or inappropriate to the thread, but I thought some might possibly find it helpful or interesting. I recently lost a (planned and very much-wanted) pregnancy at 8 and a half weeks. I have always been very pro-choice although never needed an abortion, and having wanted this baby so much, I found it a little difficult for a while seeing pregnant women and babies.

But you know what? The experience also really strongly reinforced my position on abortion. Partly because it reaffirmed to me the ways in which having a child would change my life and the importance of being prepared for that, but mainly because it really underlined for me the fragility and precariousness of early pregnancy. I really felt that at that stage I was not carrying a 'life', but the potential for one, and the miscarriage really confirmed that in my mind.

And seeing how my body changed, first with the pregnancy, and the process of going through and recovering from the miscarriage (which has taken longer than I expected) also brought home to me the fact that pregnancy and miscarriage themselves take their toll on your body. What I went through is very similar to what bunnyfluff went through, except that it took a lot longer (6 days rather than overnight) because it happened naturally, and some of the side effects/risks are similar to those of abortion.

Not quite sure what my point is now, but I think maybe just to try and reassure those considering abortion that it is not a million miles from what happens naturally anyway, and can be a positive choice for you and your body. I hope this is helpful to people.
xx

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Nov 17 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #93

go ahead . . . push the button!

bunnyfluff, thanks for posting. i really didn't know much of the medication abortion other than that is an option in some states. it sounds like it maybe truely the more natural way to go.

--------------------
"Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you; and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live."

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Nov 17 2007, 08:29 AM
Post #94

cryostat bitch

bunny,

Thank you for such a detailed account! HOPEFULLY I never have to go through this again (tubal ligation), but if something were to happen and it were to fail I'd definitely consider this as an option.

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
bunnyfluf
post Nov 16 2007, 06:06 PM
Post #95

BUSTie

so sorry i disappeared -- got swamped with work and a pinched nerve. :/ but, here goes with the long and winding descrip:

i had my appointment at PP on the 23rd. i wasn't really worried about what protesters would say, as i was committed to my decision, but fortunately none were about. i went in, went through the metal detector while the guard glanced through my bag, and then went into the waiting room to check in. my name was called a couple of times to check insurance info and stuff like that before being called back by a nurse. they asked for a urine sample and then we went for an ultrasound (vaginal). the nurse/technician was very efficient so it was over quickly with a minimum of discomfort. i was then led to the lab where they did a finger prick and collected a small pipette of blood to test my iron levels and rh factor. i was then sent back to the waiting room for a bit.

next, the counselor called me back and we sat in a small room while she made sure that i understood the procedure, including possible risks, and asked me why i was choosing to have an abortion, as well as why i chose the medication method over the dnc method. i told her that i wasn't in a good place personally to be raising a child right now, and the person who happened to be the father was not someone i was wanting a serious relationship with. i also told her that i chose the medication method because it seemed much less invasive to my body and because i wanted to go through the process in the comfort of my own home, rather than the clinic. she thought these were reasonable answers, and asked if i had any questions or concerns. the only doubt i had was that really strong cramps often trigger back spasms from an old accident, and if not taken care of with the proper drugs, could trigger full-body muscle spasms, so i asked for a prescription for percocet. i knew that i had a good reaction to this drug, and it didn't make me loopy at all, just pain/spasm-free. she wasn't sure if they'd be able to write that scrip for me, but she would check. she then sent me back to the waiting room to await the nurse practitioner, who would be giving me the actual medicines.

then the nurse practitioner called me back. she asked me again if i understood the procedure and risks, and i confirmed that i did. the medication abortion works by taking one medicine in the clinic, which stops the pregnancy from developing any further. it was said that this first medicine had possible side effects of nausea, cramping, and possible spotting, but i didn't have any of these. then a second medicine is taken 24 - 48 hours later, and this medicine is what starts the bleeding and passage of pregnancy tissue, and can be accompanied by nausea and strong cramping. the nurse gave me the first medicine, a prescription for anti-nausea medicine to take before the second dose, a prophylactic course of antibiotics, and a prescription for the percocet i was afraid i'd need, along with plenty of informational pamphlets and phone numbers to call in case of emergency. she also gave me a shot in the shoulder of something because i have a negative rh factor, that would prevent any problems in an ensuing pregnancy, in case the baby were to have a positive rh factor.

i took the first medicine in her office, took my other pills and prescriptions and pamphlets, and then checked out. that was that. total time in the clinic: two hours. i wasn't feeling any of the potential side effects or anything other than normal, so i actually went to work for a few hours. my business partner could tell something wasn't right with me, but i wasn't about to go into it with him, so we just hammered away on a few tasks before i went home. i had been expecting to feel worse, and had cleared out my schedule as much as i could, so didn't have much to do except wait for the 24 hours to pass so that i could take the second dose of medicine.

finally, the time came, wednesday evening. i took one of the anti-nausea meds and a preemptive dose of ibuprofen for the cramps an hour before the med, as recommended, so that they would have time to take effect. then i took the four tablets of the second med and held them between my cheek and my gums for an hour, two on each side, as recommended by the PP staff to minimize the nauseating effects. it wasn't that bitter, mostly just chalky. after the hour, i rinsed the rest of the medicine down with a glass of water, as it hadn't dissolved completely. almost exactly an hour after that, i started cramping, mildly at first, but swiftly increasing in intensity. i usually like to take a hot bath to relieve cramps, but baths (and swimming) were prohibited, as that would increase the chance of infection. i took a hot shower instead, but it wasn't helping, and i was starting to feel shaky and dizzy and nauseous, and i could feel my temperature rising as my body reacted to the pain. i had been told a low fever was normal and expected, so wasn't worried. the cramping was swiftly getting worse to where i couldn't sit still or find any comfort, so i took one tablet of hte percocet. within 20 minutes, i couldn't feel the cramping anymore, and just felt normal (again, because percocet doesn't make me loopy like other narcotics, esp valium).

i was told to avoid tampons, which made sense to my body anyway, and to wear pads. i usually use a diva cup, and they said that would probably be fine to use, but again, my body didn't feel like having anything inside it at the moment, so i just used pads. i could feel the material building up, rather than freely leaking out, so i went to the bathroom, sat down and pushed. a flood of tissue and blood came out, very thick, some kind of grainy. the counselor had told me that i could expect to pass clumps of tissue as large as a lemon, which freaked me out a little at the time. i didn't pass anything that large in a coherent clump, but that amount of material may have been about right by the end of the process. this continued for a while, where i would feel it build up, and then go to the bathroom and push it out, maybe every 30 minutes to an hour or so. i made a batch of cookies, and watched the quentin tarantino movie, death proof (probably not the smartest movie selection, but oh well). every three hours or so i would start to feel the cramping again, so i would take half a tablet of the percocet. the amount of material i was passing was dwindling and becoming less tissue and more blood, and was healthy happy looking blood from a normal period, i.e. bright red and not too thick, not too watery.

i had taken the medicine around 6p, started bleeding around 7p, and it was now 2a. i felt like i had passed everything i was going to pass and the cramps were receding so i went to bed. i woke up around 4a from cramping, so took another half-tab of percocet, went to the bathroom to see if there were anything to push out, and then went back to sleep. woke up around 9a, and just felt like a normal period. the "normal" flow rate continued on for about 7 days, so longer than a regular period for me. then i continued to spot very little dark brown blood for the next three weeks, up till today, when i think i've started a new period.

i went for a follow-up appointment two weeks afterwards, on the 6th, so that they could see if the pregnancy had actually terminated and all the pregnancy tissue had been passed. i had taken a home pregnancy test the night before and it showed negative. the nurse was a little surprised when i told her that, because apparently it can take up to six weeks for the hormone levels to go back to normal after the abortion. she said it was a sign that i would probably have a usual period sooner rather than later, as it can be anywhere from 4 - 8 weeks after an abortion to have the next period. their way of confirming the abortion was another vaginal ultrasound, and mine showed that my uterus was indeed back to normal size. the total time in the clinic was only about half an hour this visit.

i wouldn't say it was an easy process, but i think it went as well as could be expected, due mainly to the percocet, which minimized the pain and therefore minimized distress and fever and other side-effects. ibuprofen had absolutely no effect on the cramping, as it was just too intense to compensate for, so i would recommend a stronger pain reliever to anyone else considering this process, something that you know your body tolerates well. i hope i won't have to do this again, but if i do, i won't be afraid and will be able to understand what is happening to my body a little better. also, the only pregnancy symptom i had while pregnant was very tender breasts, which continued for a couple of weeks after the abortion as well. i hope that is a good sign if i become pregnant later, that i won't have horrible morning sickness? *fingers crossed* i also seem to have gain a cup size (B -> C) and this hasn't decreased yet. i can live with that tho. smile.gif

i hope i wrote this out well. feel free to ask any questions you may have. thank you to everyone in this thread for their support and well-wishes.

+Quote Post
anarch
post Nov 6 2007, 10:13 AM
Post #96

Hardcore BUSTie

cool article, crazyoldcatlady. Thanks for posting. What a wonderful idea: "They plan on having the compaƱeras meet with the women before the abortion, accompany them during the procedure and then meet with them at periodic increments afterwards as well (two weeks, two months, four months, etc). This mimics the role of a birth doula, who frequently meets with women before and after the birth, and goes beyond the support that most abortion providers currently offer." I hope they're able to get this idea off the ground.

shinyx3, thanks! Your comment about my "strength" has been on my mind and have made me think, actually, that here I am talking about how important it is to be open with out experiences and words, and how our stories hopefully might make a dent in the perception of people who think most women who get abortions do it for convenience and without any forethought or gravitas,...but I have never considered mentioning mine to my one anti-choice friend. If anything might have a chance of getting through to her, it might be a personal story from someone she actually knows.

Really, if I had to pick an anti-choicer to mention it to, she'd be it - a true Christian, by which I mean she's always thinking about how to be a better person, and once she decides her attitude needs adjusting, she follows through in behaviour and words. At least, she always has before. Certainly she's not one to spew natred at me or shove medically inaccurate pictures in my face. She'd certainly be deeply disappointed in me though, and that might change how our friendship feels, for the worse. Well, I'll just keep the idea on the back burner and keep considering how things could turn out.

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Nov 4 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #97

the moistiest

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/blog/2007/10/30/mi-companera

interesting article about abortion doulas
(link c/o feministing)

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Nov 1 2007, 01:14 PM
Post #98

go ahead . . . push the button!

anarch, thanks for posting. you are so right. there in nothing dirty or wrong about saying it out loud. i applaud your strength!

--------------------
"Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you; and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live."

+Quote Post
girlygirlgag
post Oct 31 2007, 04:42 AM
Post #99

Super BadAss

taken to the take it outside forum.

--------------------
Constantly on.

+Quote Post
anarch
post Oct 30 2007, 10:08 PM
Post #100

Hardcore BUSTie

I went to a PP Lobby Day today, where people interested in urging legislators to support some bills (1. a Buffer Zone bill that'll prevent protestors from being close enough to grab patients, 2. a Health Education bill to mandate education in schools re nutrition, physical fitness, mental health, violence prevention, and sex ed including abstinence AND contraception & STDs, and 3. getting archaic laws off the books including "sale of contraceptives banned unless the people who want to buy are married" !!) got walked through the process. I learned a lot.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting about it here is: I asked someone in my group about what the training was like to be a clinic escort, and she said the major thing was, they prepare you to deal with the heinous shit the protestors often spew. "Oh yeah," I said, "I had an abortion a while back and got a taste of what you guys have to deal with," and even in that supportive environment where I knew we were all on the same page, people went silent.

Maybe I'm reading things into it, maybe it was just one of those weird lulls when everybody's separate conversations quiet down at the same time, but it made me wonder if I'd shocked anybody, saying it out loud. Oh well. I'll keep on doing it, in safe environments. "I had an abortion" is not a dirty word (phrase, whatever). We need an Eve Ensler to do for "abortion" what she did for "vagina".

I_am_jan, thank you for your words.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 17, 2014 - 05:39 AM