Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

> Holdays Galore! Kwansitmaka!, everything holiday
shinyx3
post Oct 27 2007, 06:53 PM
Post #1

go ahead . . . push the button!

how about soft leather gloves?

--------------------
"Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you; and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
edie52
post Oct 27 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Shiny, that's a good idea- it'd be perfect BUT his brother got him a flask for Christmas just last year. A really cool antique one with engraved illustrations of men.

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Oct 27 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #3

edie how about a flask with his name engraved?

treehugger, i am drooling! that sounds so good! we usually have panettone with rum sauce, it sort of reminds me of stollen.

--------------------
"Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you; and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live."

+Quote Post
edie52
post Oct 27 2007, 02:34 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

Ooh, yeah, I hope we'll get a mini-tree! I want to make popcorn and cranberry garlands with a needle and thread- except I'll use lingonberries instead.

Giving gifts makes me nervous. The only ideas I have for him are a book of some sort or a nice bottle of whiskey.

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Oct 27 2007, 01:04 PM
Post #5

cryostat bitch

nope, no sugar crust. plenty of cardamom though. smile.gif

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Oct 27 2007, 10:17 AM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

treehugger- My mother's family is Dutch, and we always have stollen at Xmas- so yummy! Does your Oma put a sugar crust on it? I've never had it with coffee poured onto it before, that sounds delish!

Does anyone else celebrate Sinter Klaas? aka St. Nikolaas Day?

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Oct 27 2007, 04:44 AM
Post #7

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

treehugger, that sounds AMAZING! I heart stollen.

edie, you should open gifts in bed, either at midnight on Christmas Eve or when you wake. Will you have a tree? even if you could have a mini one you could dress it together whilst listening to Christmas music.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
edie52
post Oct 26 2007, 05:26 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks zoya. The idea of going to the country for a night sounds really nice, I'm going to look into it (we don't have a car or even licenses to rent one, so transportation is an issue). But we are going elsewhere for New Years, so that will probably be enough of a splurge.

Treehugger, I've never heard of that, but it sounds oddly appealing.

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Oct 26 2007, 04:12 PM
Post #9

cryostat bitch

I'm wondering if there are any other "bohunk" Busties who have this tradition? We make a type of stollen/raisin bread, slice it and break it into chunks, put it into bowls and pour sweetened coffee with cream over the top...that is our traditional Christmas morning breakfast. I'm told that it is a Czechoslovakian peasant breakfast tradition.

We ALL had this for breakfast...even the children who usually hated it (coffee, I mean...hehe)..but it's one of those traditions that grows on you and now it doesn't feel like Christmas without that "christmas bread breakfast".

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
zoya
post Oct 26 2007, 01:47 PM
Post #10

uh huh.

edie - yes, it's more like a loaf cake the way I make it... it is hands down my favourite thing to bake. (and apparently it's my 'specialty' because people always ask for it. If I had a decent oven, I'd make a bunch of it for christmas. Alas, not to be.)

ps - bunny, you will quite assuredly be the recipient of some once I have a kitchen with a better baking oven! haha

edie again - the ex and I used to spend christmas together with no family around. what we did was usually have a really nice dinner on christmas eve, then lie in on Christmas morning (afternoon!) then watch TV and eat leftovers. It was just nice and chill. We'd maybe take a walk in the afternoon or a nice drive. A couple of times we splurged and went to a hotel somewhere not too far, but far enough to be out of the city and in the countryside, and spent a night or two and just had a mini vacation.

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Oct 26 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #11

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

mmmm, I want some of zoya's pumpkin bread!

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
edie52
post Oct 26 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

Ah, zoya, that sounds good, is that like a banana bread type "bread"?

Well, this Christmas will be spent with my boyfriend, both of our first away from our respective families and hometowns (and our country, actually). I want it to be fun and special. Does anyone have any ideas of things to do in a situation like ours? My ideas so far are pretty obvious, though very appealing: cooking a big dinner, drinking wine and a bit of liquor, laying in bed, taking a bath, and watching Christmas specials.

And I don't know what to get him! It should be simple. I thought about trying to knit a scarf, but then I heard something about a knitting curse (don't knit for a man until you're married). I realize how ridiculous that sounds, but I'm soooo superstitious.

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Oct 26 2007, 10:23 AM
Post #13

drool drool, that sound yummy! i might have to make that when i get back from san diego. (going for a little trip)

--------------------

+Quote Post
zoya
post Oct 26 2007, 09:41 AM
Post #14

uh huh.

you got it!

1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 cups white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder

1) combine pumpkin, oil and eggs. sift together dry ingredients. Combine the two mixtures, blending thoroughly (I use a mixer)

**ok, now at this point, I taste the batter - then I start just adding more of the spices to taste. I also put a little bit of vanilla in (I never really measure, but about a teaspoon or so) I basically try to get the batter to taste just a little less deep in flavour than a pumpkin pie would. The flavours will deepen upon cooking so you don't want to make the batter taste JUST like you want it, or it will be too overpowering when it's done.

2) Pour into two greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pans and bake at 300 degrees F (150 C) for 1 hour. a toothpick inserted will come out clean

3) let the loaves cool for about 5 minutes in the pans, then take out and cool completely on a rack. I actually usually cut myself a slice about 10 min after the oven - nice and warm!

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Oct 26 2007, 07:54 AM
Post #15

oh, yummy! post your recipe?

--------------------

+Quote Post
zoya
post Oct 25 2007, 07:43 PM
Post #16

uh huh.

I'm a gigantic fan of pumpkin bread. cheap to make, and easy to transport. I always add extra spices so it tastes more like a pumpkin pie...

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Oct 25 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #17

chocolate no bake cookies! super easy and yummy!

--------------------

+Quote Post
gogirlie
post Oct 25 2007, 02:47 PM
Post #18

BUSTie

I am always a fan of taking cookies to pot lucks when there are circumstances like yours. You can even get some nicely decorated ones at the grocery store and then you don't have to cook at all. Put them in your own container or a plastic bag and no one will be the wiser.

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Oct 25 2007, 01:44 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

Yay! I'm glad you made this thread. I have a holiday related question, so I guess I'll post here and in the Halloween thread.
I need ideas for food to bring to a Halloween party on Saturday. (I'm going as a Pirate.) It can be appetizer or dessert.
It has to be: Easy to transport (45 minute drive), Easy to make (I'm lazy), and CHEAP (college student)
Any ideas?

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Oct 25 2007, 10:21 AM
Post #1

Oh, the holidays! The time of year that i love the best. I love the rich traditions, the silly things that remind us of holidays past, the party planning, the party going, the food, the decor, all of it. I love love love it. I thought it would be interesting to share traditions, ideas, and other holiday delights (or frights) that we busties enjoy (or hate). So share your traditions etc and what your plans are for this years holidays.

--------------------

+Quote Post
10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 1, 2014 - 01:55 AM