The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Talkin' Smack, Is this out of control or what?
erinjane
post Sep 14 2008, 09:21 AM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey funk, this discussion has moved over to feminism/pop culture thread.

--------------------
I Could Tell You Stories That Would Make Your Ears Curl
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
funk0039
post Sep 14 2008, 04:10 AM
Post #2

BUSTie

I am jan,

Yes, I've noticed the same damn thing, and every time I do I get royally disgusted. That's why I won't watch those damnable makeover shows, because these people are ruthless.

As a man, I have to say that I don't look that closely at a woman's every tiny detail on her body. I basically check out the whole thing, and then I try to determine if I'm physcially attracted to her overall. Immediately afterwards I just look in her eyes to try to find out what her heart is like. Then, if I can get up the courage, I talk to her and try to find out if she's got a brain, if her elevator goes all the way up. FYI, my idea of the ideal woman would be close to Madison Michele on the tv guide channel. From my personal and the experiences of my friends, none of us are anywhere NEAR as critical of a woman's appearance as women themselves seem to be.

More and more, I've noticed the constant hammering women are enduring to make them all physically identical. It makes high school with all the crushing peer pressure I endured look almost quaint by comparison.

I don't know what to say to you. I really don't know what I could possibly say to help anyone feel better or help stop this kind of behavior. I feel pretty helpless about it.

I'm gonna go play a computer game and distract myself, otherwise I'm gonna get pissed again.

--------------------
"Know thyself." Socrates
"This above all to thineownself be true." William Shakepeare
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." the Bible
These 3 laws govern who I am, whether or not you like it.

+Quote Post
i_am_jan
post Dec 14 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks humanist, this discussion has moved over to feminism/pop culture thread...

+Quote Post
humanist77
post Dec 11 2007, 11:16 PM
Post #4

belligerently lazy

maybe it can go in this not too-old feminism/pop culture thread??
or even in the feminist outrage thread. this is actually a subject that bothers me a lot too, jan...

eta~well the pop culture feminism thread isn't exactly the same, but whatevah~

--------------------
I pledge allegiance to and wrap myself in the flag of the United States Against Anything Un-American and to the Republicans for which it stands, two nations, under Jesus, rich against poor, with curtailed liberty and justice for all except blacks, homosexuals, women who want abortions, Communists, welfare queens, treehuggers, feminazis, illegal immigrants, children of illegal immigrants, and you if you don't watch your step.
-Matt Groening, Life in Hell

+Quote Post
pepper
post Dec 9 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #5

hey there, just a little reminder that it's really appreciated it if new threads are talked about in the community forum before being started up. sometimes there isn't enough interest in a topic to create a whole new thread about it and sometimes there is a place that the topic is being discussed or where it would fit in already. this is in the interest of keeping the board as neat and tidy as possible for ease of use. it really works, this is the cleanest, best organized, easiest to read community forum i have ever been on and that's because we all collectively work at keeping it that way.

so, next time please give a little checkeroo in the community forum. thanks so much.

+Quote Post
i_am_jan
post Dec 9 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

Is anyone else getting tired of hearing young blonde celebrity women being talked down constantly?

Why is it okay to constantly scrutinize their bodies, their personal choices, whether it be marriage, divorce, pregnancy, what they wear, the color of their hair, who they go out with?

Why does this same thing not happen to young male celebrities? I mean with the way things go, you would think Ryan Phillipee, Nick Lacheey, Justin Timberlate, Jake Gyllenhaal, whomever would be ripe for the picking.

It seems to me that talking these women down makes it okay for us to be judgmental of women in everyday life. And for men to be as well.

Why do we act as though women are not capable of making good decisions? Or as though we have some right to be all in their business about the ones they do make?

Do men follow our lead? Is one of the reasons men feel it's acceptable to pick us apart and disrespect us because we allow this to go on? We set an example?

I mean ~ what's up? If you ask me, this is totally a feminist issue.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 22, 2014 - 09:28 AM