Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tell Us What Busty Means
mornington
post Jun 17 2008, 11:20 AM
Post #21

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

LL, it's great that you're sticking around - thank you for making the effort, it definitely means a lot to us!

ok, I'm going to guess that a bustie (as in a board member) is someone who takes an interest in the world around them - who is happy to share thier knowledge when they can, but equally happy to learn from others, widen thier horizons, and admit mistakes. They can acknowledge - and even embrace - that feminism isn't about having one opinion, and that you can still give a shit about clothes or last night's tv without being a "bad feminist".

Plus, well, they're just... good people. You might not love every person here like they were your best friend, but when it comes down to it, they're still the sort of people you feel blessed to know.

rose - I'd forgotten that thread! *hearts*
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Jun 17 2008, 09:22 AM
Post #22

(o)(o)

I do have to say that I'm really loving the fact that the new LL is in here frequently and is engaging and participating in the topics.

I don't feel like we mean nothing to you now. I see you coming here and responding not just sitting and rocking back and forth on your shoes. It's nice for a change.

Pugs, thanks for the comments. Awwww. And I still consider you a feminist, you take control of things, you take control of your sexuality and you aren't submissive, you care about women's issues.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
LoungeLady
post Jun 16 2008, 02:42 PM
Post #23

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for the responses so far! (Not to mention the welcomes and advice) happy.gif Though I am not going to lie and speak for future interns, I will definitely try to do a better job keeping up with the Lounge while I'm here (and see what I can do to encourage those that come after me to do the same). All that said, if there is anything else you think I should be doing, drop a message at the problem/suggestions thread, which is the first place I stop by every morning I'm in the office.

--------------------
So mod!

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Jun 16 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #24

Pacifism kicks ass!

LL, welcome to the forum. It's nice to have a moderator who is making an effort to be a larger presence here. smile.gif

Yes, there's a difference between the Bust-Magazine-Busties and the Bust-Lounge-Busties. They overlap in many places, but I think the members of the Lounge are a more diverse population. You'll find the same teenagers & 20-somethings here as you'll find buying the mag, but you'll also find women in their 30s, 40s, and even 50s here. There are a few guys, too (I actually met my husband here on Bust). I'm in my 30s now and I still occasionally buy the mag, but not as often as I used to. Frankly, I was really turned off when they ran ads for cigarettes in Bust & I refused to buy the issues that featured tobacco advertising. This magazine is specifically targeted to young women - many of whom are too young to even purchase cigarettes - so it felt horribly inappropriate. I simply hold Bust to a higher standard than that.

Anyway.

Before the forum changed and oodles and oodles and oodles of posts got deleted, the "You Know You're a Bustie When ..." thread had some great examples of what it means to be a Bustie. There are still some good examples on there, just not as many as there used to be.
http://www.bust.com/lounge/index.php?showtopic=52232

I've been on this forum since early 2001. When I joined I quickly felt welcomed. I had found a place where I could see that I really wasn't alone and that there are more people out there who think the way I do than I realized. It's just a huge repository of kindred spirits. We are all so very different, but there is a love and respect here that I havent encountered on any other forum. Being a Bustie has made me feel far more comfortable identifying myself as a feminist ... and teaching people that, whether they realized it before or not, they are also feminists. I love that I can come here and talk about relationship problems or the latest recipe I served at a dinner party. I can vent my frustrations over the racism in my community and I can also talk about what happened on the latest episode of Project Runway. It's a hodge podge of what it means to be a woman in the western world today, but it's warm and welcoming enough that a number of men call this place home, too.

In short, I think of Busties as people who just get it ... but I'm not quite sure how to define what "it" is!

+Quote Post
LoveMyPugs
post Jun 16 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #25

welcome (new) LL! I just wanted to say that in my opinion it's not only hard to be an intern but it's hard to be a "newbie" on the bust boards. I'm surprised I've lasted as long as I have. Sometimes some of the ladies on here make me so mad that I don't ever want to come back and I often wonder why I do. Obviously, there is something about this website that keeps me coming back day after day after day. I can tell you I come back for ladies like culturehandy and girltrouble. They are the first ones to help you when you have a problem and also the first ones to put you in your place when you are wrong. Whether it's tipping the person who makes your coffee or the issue of racisim, they don't shy from telling you how it is. There are many other ladies on here that do this as well. I need this in my life. That's why I love the lounge. I don't read the magazine. I also don't consider myself a feminist. I'm so different from some of the ladies on this board. I'm not as knowledgeable about politics, feminist issues and topics like that. I guess I'm priviledged so I don't think about those issues as often as other busties in the lounge. When I get brave and venture into those threads I'm welcomed and educated. On the other hand, I do think I can contribute a lot to dicussions about long term relationships, sex, music, movies, acne, dieting, dream analysis and a few other topics. Some of the other ladies on this site probably think that I don't have a clue about anything and I feel the same about them but at least we can respect one another and not jump each other's shit everytime we post. I think that is what a bustie is. A bustie may know a lot but they don't know everything and there is always someone to teach you or show you the truth. You respect others and in turn gain the respect of others. You learn and teach. For me that sums up the lounge. It's a learning experience and a way to teach others. The best of both worlds. Since joining bust I feel like part of the group. These ladies are my only "girlfriends". I feel accepted by them. In real life I tend to hang around with all men who obviously don't know what it's like to be a woman. When I need "girl" time I sign into the lounge. I consider all the ladies on here my friends whether I agree with their posts or not. I can't even begin to tell you how much I've grown and changed since joining the lounge because of the ladies here. I'm thankful everyday that I just happened to come across this site. I know that was kind of drawn out but that's what bustie means to me.

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Jun 16 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #26

it's cards on the table time

LL, I didn't intend to be at all dismissive; I was just observing that, for whatever reason, structured calls for feedback haven't generated many replies in the past, IME. I'm glad you enjoy the boards; that's what they're here for after all.

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Jun 16 2008, 11:16 AM
Post #27

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

I don't think that LL had any intention of being patronizing or upsetting and, as she is new, I don't see the point in being upset with her for mistakes of past LL's. When I first saw the thread, I assumed that the intention was for the people in charge of the magazine to get more involved with the board which will probably be a good thing.

So let's not scare off the new LL. Being a intern can be a tough gig and I see no reason to be hostile to her. If she is made to feel welcome, then other interns will be able to help us out as well. And while we may only "need" a moderator to:

familiarize yourself with this place, delete troll posts* and get old busties their passwords when they request them

it is always nice to have new members.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jun 16 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #28

new highs in personal lows daily!

QUOTE(LoungeLady @ Jun 16 2008, 07:41 AM) *
My last intention was to be patronizing. But I did leave the question vague so people could answer however they wanted--maybe it backfired.

ya think?
As for busty vs. bustie, we interns seem to fall on both sides of the fence. I personally use busty as an adjective, and bustie(s) as a noun
When I took over LL duties, I didn't realize the ladies of the Lounge and the magazine's readers were such distinct entities (something the editors were quick to let me know when they realized I put up this thread). Regardless, I do enjoy checking out the threads as I lurk around hunting for spam and double posts to delete.
one thing that will bug the fuck out of people on any forum are people who jump in without knowing the environment they are in. in here, the issue isn't where the interns stand, it's where the users of the lounge stand. i hate to be snotty, (ok, actually, i live to be snotty), but this is a monster of bust's own creation, thanks to it's neglect. it sounds like you are a new, LL, from your post, my advise-- create a new admin name+avi. i'm sure i'm not the only one who gets a little teed off at the inaction of the LL(s) that came before you. it's not that busties cry about every little thing, to the contrary, this is a self modded fora, and it suits us fine, but when we get trolls leaving antagonistic posts in sensative threads, when we get them posting doctored anti-abortion all over the place, and the LL would not react for DAYS.... well, i for one see red any time i see an LL post trying to be all friendly.

speaking for myself, that leads to some pretty hard feelings when you get sarcasm, patronizing comments and fluff threads, like this.

really all we need you to do is familiarize yourself with this place, delete troll posts* and get old busties their passwords when they request them. but if you keep going down the patronizing/sarcastic route, there are a few of us who will hand you your head on a platter.

*just so you know, troll posts are easy to spot. busties will point them out, just check out the troll thread. we post their names and any other info in there.

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
LoungeLady
post Jun 16 2008, 08:24 AM
Post #29

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(stargazer @ Jun 15 2008, 03:28 PM) *
Maybe there have been a lack of responses because the question itself seems patronizing to these people who are committed to this forum.

My last intention was to be patronizing. But I did leave the question vague so people could answer however they wanted--maybe it backfired.

As for busty vs. bustie, we interns seem to fall on both sides of the fence. I personally use busty as an adjective, and bustie(s) as a noun.

When I took over LL duties, I didn't realize the ladies of the Lounge and the magazine's readers were such distinct entities (something the editors were quick to let me know when they realized I put up this thread). Regardless, I do enjoy checking out the threads as I lurk around hunting for spam and double posts to delete.

--------------------
So mod!

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jun 16 2008, 07:16 AM
Post #30

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Hmm, suddenly the newbies are experts at defining us?

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
civichick06
post Jun 16 2008, 06:30 AM
Post #31

QUOTE(pherber @ Jun 12 2008, 02:17 PM) *
blink.gif

Oh, fuck me, NOW I get it!!!!

A BUSTy is a Bust magazine acolyte, and a bustie is a forum bitch, who'll speak her mind.

I had no idea it were that simple.

mellow.gif

I totally Agree with VallyVal tongue.gif

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Jun 15 2008, 01:58 PM
Post #32

it's cards on the table time

LL, I concur with Auralpoison. I have often thought the lounge represents a fascinating community of women, who can have wildly varying viewpoints but articulate them (generally) clearly and passionately. But for whatever reason, we don't seem to respond to surveys or other structured questions much. *shrugs*

Interesting question though. I don't have much to add except that busties can be intrepid, arguing their corner but usually attempting to understand the other side.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jun 15 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #33

Big Fat Bitch

I've been kinda flipflopping with this. I read the mag, but the Lounge is something all together it's own. So I can't say I can define BUSTy, but then I can't define a Bustie, either. You just are or you aren't. There are women here that drive me starkers, but I love them anyways. They're Busties. They transcend definition. That's what it means to me, I guess. We are inexplicably everything at once. We're elemental.

And LL, we're not so good at this sort of thing. In all the time there's been an "Ask Betty" thread 3000 of us looked at it, but nobody has ever responded.

ETA, I'm not sure I like elemental anymore. Mercurial, maybe?

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Jun 15 2008, 01:11 PM
Post #34

brown delicious

QUOTE(LoungeLady @ Jun 10 2008, 10:19 AM) *
How do you define BUSTy? And what does it mean to be a BUSTy lady?

Maybe there have been a lack of responses because the question itself seems patronizing to these people who are committed to this forum.

but, maybe i am being too cynical.

i'm working on not saying anything at all if you can't say anything nice.

i guess it's not working.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jun 14 2008, 03:30 AM
Post #35

new highs in personal lows daily!

blink.gif

A BUSTy is a Bust magazine acolyte, and a bustie is a forum bitch, who'll speak her mind.

mellow.gif

what are you if you are annoyed by the question? ...oh yeah...

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
mouse
post Jun 12 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #36

Most Likely Procrastinating

LOL @ pherber.

i agree with what everyone has said so far. i think it's a specific type of woman who is both pretty deeply intellectual, socially conscious and opinionated, while at the same time unabashedly enjoying whatever she may choose to enjoy. busties are egalitarian and question both sides of each issue, ultimately coming to their own conclusions. there's a lot of searching & trying to educate on this board; at the same time there's a hell of a lot of silliness, appreciation of ridiculously voyeuristic, consumerist, superfluous &/or frivolous pursuits, & genuine affection for fellow busties. i think that being a bustie is about balance--it's not cosmo, but neither is it ms. or bitch--and finding what that means individually (which, sometimes, is actually not in line with the publication).

i think there IS a difference between a reader of the mag and a reader of the forum--i think the forum has taken on a life of its own, but it will always be indebted to bust for giving it life.

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
pherber
post Jun 12 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #37

Hardcore BUSTie

I was just being sarcastic, because she was spelling it BUSTy, directly after your statement.

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Jun 12 2008, 03:12 PM
Post #38

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

So are those of us who love the magazine as well as love the board both bustys as well as Busties? wink.gif

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
pherber
post Jun 12 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #39

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(VallyVal @ Jun 12 2008, 02:02 AM) *
To be BUSTy is to be comfortable in your own femininity, this runs the gamut from not leaving the house without your makeup and heels to working an old tshirt and tattered cutoffs. To be BUSTy is to appreciate the full continuum of femininity-from being born with the parts to embracing life a a woman regardless of what parts you were born with. To be BUSTy is to never apologize for how you choose to live out your femininity and supporting all those whose definition of woman differs from your own.

blink.gif

mellow.gif

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Jun 12 2008, 01:27 AM
Post #40

I know it's only rock 'n' roll. But I like it.

A bustie is someone who always strives to be true to her own damned badass self.

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 1, 2014 - 08:56 AM