Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

48 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Here kitty, kitty kitty...
anarch
post Oct 29 2010, 07:08 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

When I was vegetarian, some devout Christian friends explained that they disagreed with the idea that eating animals could be unethical, because God gave humans dominion over the earth and its creatures.

I should say that they wouldn't abuse or neglect animals, and wouldn't use this "dominion" thing to excuse anybody's abuse or neglect. But I wonder if it's linked to behaviour like koffeewitch's...acquaintance.

I wonder what she'd say, koffee, if you said, "Hey, I've been wanting to ask you, how can you live with a cat for years and then just dump her at her most vulnerable as if she was a bag of trash or a broken lamp?"

Blech.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
genghis cunt
post Oct 29 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #2

BUSTie

I think it definitely has somehing to do with it. It's confusing to me (non-Christian here) that people exploit and degrade the earth and her animals--isn't it the Lord's creation and we should respect it? But Christianity says animals don'thave souls so they should be treated as such.

I got my cat when a woman in my building was evicted. She left him outside with abag of cat food. He disapeared for a few months, and then started coming around. I wonder if she treats her little boy the same way.

Gandhi said the moral progress of a nation can be judged on the way it treats animals. I agree.

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Oct 29 2010, 09:05 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(genghis cunt @ Oct 27 2010, 06:50 PM) *
Okay, forgive me if I am insensitive here, but...why would you stay friends with a person who dumps any living thing? That shows a clear disrespect for life, feline and otherwise.

Oh, I'm in complete agreement..."friends" was kind of a loose term with her anyway. I met her because she happens to have lived in the same apartment complex these past few years, aside from that we had nothing in common. Our city, comparatively speaking has a lot of resources for cats...she didn'tneed to just dump Tig and her kittens. Besides that, she just moved into an entire HOUSE with her daughter...if they could bring one cat and her daughter's dog, she could surely have brought Tig and the kittens until they found a proper home for them. (Then there's the issue that TIg has had countless litlers of kittens even though I got Leslie all of the info she needed to get Tig fixed for just $10 at Cat Welfare. Apparently, she couldn't be bothered to do this for Tig).

I have not contacted her by e-mail, or otherwise, and have been debating on the issue shouold she contact me. I don't know if I will confront her directly or just not respond. I mean what do you say to someone who can live with a cat for years and then just dump her at her most vulnerable as if she was a bag of trash or a broken lamp? It's really low of me to post digs at a person's religion, but she's one of those Jesus people always going on about "the Lord". I find the irony in this infuriating.

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
anarch
post Oct 28 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

ok, dunno if y'all have heard of Pavement Cat, but if not, it's feel-good:

Back story

Video

+Quote Post
genghis cunt
post Oct 27 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #5

BUSTie

Okay, forgive me if I am insensitive here, but...why would you stay friends with a person who dumps any living thing? That shows a clear disrespect for life, feline and otherwise.

This breaks my heart because I worked at a No More Homeless Pets clinic for 11 months. This is an initiative started by the Best Friends Society to end the shelter cycle by providing free or low-cost sterilizatin and vaccination, especially for people on public assistance. There are many veterinarians who can provide free sterilization if you ask. The resources are there. During those 11 months, I saw dogs brought in whose uteruses had been prolapsed for days, and one who had prolapsed 3 weeks prior to her getting medical attentin. Pit bulls with their ears cut by their owners, dogs with rubber-coated wider embedded 1 inch into their neck, a dog who tried to chew her feet off from being chained and abandoned for a month...it hurt. We frequently found cats in buckets at the door and dogs tied to our spigot.

The good news is that Trap Neuter Return WORKS. Citizens can rent traps, trap a cat, and for $30 the cat is sterilized, vaccinated, and ear tipped (a corner of th ear is removed during surgery so the cat can be identified as being sterilized). The cat goes back to his are. The City of Jacksonville no longer takes in feral cats, or euthanizes them. Our feral population is starting to slow, and owner surrenders to the city pound are reducing, as are euthanasias.

So...sorry for ranting. happy.gif

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Oct 19 2010, 09:42 AM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

I think you're smart to keep Ketto indoors...even when I lived out in the country I remember too many sad stories. It's like you think, "it's okay, my cat/dog never goes in the road"...until one day for whatever reason, they do. Or some sicko thinks it's funny to harm an innocent animal or steal somebody's pet to give to their pit bulls that they're training to be fighting dogs. There are just too many weirdos in the world.

Have you guys followed the story about Lola the cat (in the U.K.)? She is okay now, but a totally innocuous older lady called Lola over to her, started petting her and then maliciously grabbed her up and shoved inside a lidded trash bin. Fortuantely there was a camcorder over head and Lola's owner saw the whole incident on tape after she came home and rescued poor Lola. What flipped me out is that you think of some stupid teenage boy doing these things (or atleast I do)...not some grandmotherly lady. You just never know about people.

And BTW, the little kitten is getting bigger every day...he has the run of the house now and seems very happy. I hope he has forgotten about being trapped inside that awful bag.

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
ketto
post Oct 17 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Yeesh, bad cat stories, although it's so great that you're little guy is doing okay, Koffee.

I cannot imagine doing that to a kitten. I found my cat when I was 8 in the middle January (-40 Celsius here). Someone had abandoned her and another cat there and her paws were so frost bitten the skin had peeled off. I'm so thankfully someone at least left them somewhere where they would be found quickly. The people who owned the home where they were abandoned took one cat and we too mine.

Ugh, Anarch, that's horrible. When I was 11 or 12 I was in the car with my mom when she accidentally hit a cat. I completely lost it and couldn't stop crying and my poor mom felt so bad. Everyone assumed I was the cat's owner because I was so upset about the whole thing.

We were lucky at my parents house because they live in a long U-shaped street in the bottom part of the U - so there's virtually no traffic except the houses on that part of the street. We were able to let both of our cats have free reign outside with no worries in 17 years.

We're not going to be letting Ketto outside anytime soon. Luckily an apartment makes that really easy. I'd be so paranoid in high traffic area's.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
anarch
post Oct 16 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh, koffeewitch. Good thing you were there to foster the little guy back to health. Looking forward to hearing what L says about Tig.

Bad news over here:
Yesterday, driving down the street, I saw ahead in the middle of the road a girl standing slightly to the side of the yellow line & thought, "Why is she standing in the middle of the road stopping traffic in that lane?" Then the cars ahead of me swerved to the right to avoid her, and I saw that she was standing over a caramel-brown-burnt toast cat with a fluffy tail. It must have got hit. Her (bf?) was scooping the kitty up in a towel. I wish I could have done or said something to help, but really, what's going to help in that situation.

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Oct 16 2010, 08:06 AM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Okay, you guys are not even going to believe this one. I was out walking and ran into some neighbor kids who had just found a tiny kitten, about a month old, thrown into a plastic bag filled with catshit and tossed into a dumptster to die in it's own filth...the kitten was (and is) still alive, but so weak when they found it, it went into shock when they washed it off. This is the point where I took the kitten home with me, and miraculously he has recovered beautifully...the first day, he couldn't even open his eyes as they were so red/swollen from being caked with shit. WHO would do such a vile, evil, disgusting thing? There is just no fathoming human beings.

Thankfully, he has turned into a healthy, chubby, normal little kitten...but he's still a little scared of strange people...I want to find a home for him when he get's a little older. I hope I can find someone he can learn to love and trust and who will always take good care of him.

As for Leslie, my friend who dumped her nursing cat...I'm waiting for her to e-mail me so I can ask her "what she did with TIg" and see if she'll even admit to dumping her and her kittens....

--------------------

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Oct 13 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #10

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

You should definitely say something to her! That really pisses me off. mad.gif Is there a shelter you can take her and the kittens to, so that they're taken care of and she gets fixed?

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
anarch
post Oct 11 2010, 03:20 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

damona -- I'm glad Pepper recovered.

koffeewitch -- man, how awful for the mother kitty. Do you think you can say something to friend that won't result in friend getting hostile? If so, it's worth a shot. You never know when someone's brain will go *click* and they'll remember your words and go "Hmmm, so that's what she was talking about."

But it's such an obviously shitty thing to do that I'm having trouble coming up with polite words to use.

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Oct 11 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

So glad Pepper recovered on his own! I, too, struggle like mad to pay for vet bills and good quality cat food. More and more I find myself making fresh food for my cats...I know they can't like eating processed food out of a bag all the time. Fortunately for my squeamish vegetarian ass, my cats love to eat yogurt, broccoli and grains.

So anyway, the story about "Tig" gets even worse. Not only was she just dumped...she is still a nursing mama with kittens to care for! How could anyone live and care for a cat for YEARS and then just decide to leave her behind?? And since she is not fixed, she will contintue getting pregnant and the population of feral, homeless cats will just keep on growing.

Do you guys think I should say something to my friend who dumped her? I mean, do people who do things like that ever "get it" anyway? I'm wondering if I would just be wasting my breath...

--------------------

+Quote Post
damona
post Oct 10 2010, 09:43 PM
Post #13

can i go to bed now?

just realized i never updated y'all...

Pepper recovered on his own by the time of the vet appt. i think it was just a bout of kitty flu or something. which is good, since the vet wanted $35 up front since i didn't pay the last bill on time. which was not entirely my fault, since said bill was incurred by the last stray i brought in to be de-wormed, etc, and that stray was adopted by The Boy and The Boys' mom, and she told me she'd take care of it, and then forgot. but i should have kept track on my own, so, eh. it's all settled now, so no harm done.

ketto, congrats on adopting Ketto smile.gif

suk, that was a great ad!

koffeewitch, ugh, sometimes i just hate people. we've taken in more strays with good manners, already litter trained and all that, who were obviously just dumped... people are such assholes. thank you for being one of the good guys!

--------------------
"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Oct 9 2010, 08:49 AM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

Godfuckingdammit!! mad.gif A neighborwoman I was friends with just moved out of our complex and she appears to have just dumped her cat. She had told me she was only taking "Itchy" to the new place, but not "Tig"...still I thought (hoped) that meant she was going to find a home for Tig and not just fucking leave her behind to starve/freeze. I guess I now have one more stray cat to buy food for...

--------------------

+Quote Post
anarch
post Oct 8 2010, 04:39 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

soukoyant, thanks for the IKEA link. Great ad!

So nice to read about your Ketto, ketto!

Sort of a downer link but also it's good to know that this is happening:
More shelters for domestic abuse are inviting in the cats and dogs of their clients as the connection between domestic violence and animal abuse becomes more well-known

+Quote Post
ketto
post Sep 16 2010, 03:57 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Koffee, this was the first time for me picking out a cat at the humane society. I found my 17 year old cat after someone abandoned her and a sibling in a garage when I was 8 years old. It was the middle of winter so we took Mittens, the people who owned the garage took the other cat, and here we are 17 years later.

So, on Sunday we brought back Catmund so she could catch her plane to the UK. Right after we dropped her off paperboy and I went to the humane society. I'd never been their before but it was so beautiful and impressive. I thought they would keep all the cats in cages but they're all in rooms about the size of a large closet with big windows and lots of toys and other cats. You get to put on an apron and go into each room to hang out with them and get to know them. We checked out maybe 5 or 6 before we got to the cutest little gray and white kitten. She was so happy to be held and just curled up in both our hands.

So we brought home Ketto (yup, that's her name) on Sunday and we can't get enough of her. She's so satisfied to just be held and she slept right in between paperboy and I on the first night. She's a major lap cat which is exactly what we wanted.

Pants, we actually may be getting a 2nd cat. Paperboy also has a 16 year old cat that still lives with his mom. His mom isn't happy about keeping her but she's a very loud (vocally) cat, and she scratches furniture really badly and sheds really badly too because she's a long hair (i'm midly allergic). I told him I didn't have a problem with her living with us so long as we got our own cat too. His problem is that he loves his cat but doesn't really want to bring her to the apartment, but he feels guilty about leaving her with his mom. We've agreed that Ketto would need to be a lot bigger before bringing another cat in so right now we're just seeing how it goes with her. He also isn't telling his mom we bought one. tongue.gif

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Sep 13 2010, 03:22 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

This is cute. An Ikea in the UK let a bunch of cats run around their store to demonstrate comfort
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/video/2010...08/ikea-cats-ad

+Quote Post
pants
post Sep 6 2010, 02:44 AM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

Ketto, maybe you could look into getting a mother cat and her kitten. I know shelters often like to house them in pairs to make it easier for them to adapt to a new setting

There's a new ginger kitten in our neighbourhood. His name is Ivan and he has giant paws and ears and is very nosy. We were recuilding our garden fence last week and he supervised the whole event. I refer to him as Ivan the Terribly Cute and get lots of glares my cat, Oliver, whenever I give him attention. But seriously, he is full on adorable and needs to come live with me. Oliver would get used to it eventually. His little girl Lucy, probably would not be pleased with the situation though so we'll just continue on with our illicit love affair.

--------------------
I am not a reliable narrator
This is a place where I talk about other stuff, and try to make it interesting.

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Sep 3 2010, 10:54 AM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

ketto: that will be so exciting to go adopt a kitty from the shelter....my cats have all appeared on my doorstep, homeless and starving, so none of them were "planned".

damona: I've been having problems suddenly with one of my kitties throwing up, too...and it's not just hairballs, like it usually is when he gets sick. Please let us know what your vet says about it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ketto
post Sep 2 2010, 09:53 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

Damona, hope pepper is doing okay. My boyfriend thinks my family is crazy because we bring out cats to the vet every year and as soon as they have an abnormal issue, but our cats were outdoor cats who both had fairly serious illnesses at one time or another over the last 17 years.

We're still cat-sitting for about two more weeks and I LOVE this damn cat. She's so freaking cute and petite and is basically a little, quiet love bug who loves being petted and sitting in your lap and being picked up and cuddled - most of the time. Paperboy said he wished you could test cats out before you get them because we wouldn't have wanted to keep my brothers cat but we would love to keep Catmund.

I really wanted to foster cats but paperboy put his foot down and said he wants us to get our own. I was surprised because I thought he was the one who didn't want to make the committment. So as soon as we drop Catmund off at the airport, we're planning to check out the shelters. Originally I wanted an older cat, 7+ years because I know they're harder to adopt out, but paperboy said he kind of wants a kitten...and now I've been thinking about having a kitten. But basically we're just going to go to a shelter and see which one speaks to us. I'm a little over excited about it now.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post

48 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 24, 2014 - 09:59 PM