Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

224 Pages V  « < 218 219 220 221 222 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pregnancy - all things good, bad, and otherwise
jasmine77
post Aug 2 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #4381

BUSTie

We got great news today and I just have to share!!

The Mr. and I had our ultrasound today and the little smidge is healthy as can be! All limbs and digits are present and accounted for, the heart and brain look strong and healthy and we even got a peek at the little package. Yup, we're having a boy!! I'm really happy 'cuz I was kinda hoping for a boy for my first one!

I've been feeling pretty good too. I'm 19 1/2 weeks along and haven't had too many problems other than some hip pains when I try to sleep at night.

My only major complaint is that my boobs are HUGE!!! Maybe I should post in the large-breasted lady thread but I'm getting very uncomfortable and worried. I started out on the large side at a large 34D/ small 34DD and I'm already busting (heehee) out of my 36 DDD bras. Does anyone have any idea how many cup sizes the average woman's breasts grow during pregnancy? I'm just wondering becuz I already have to special order my bras online and I'd hate to be stuck waiting for bras to come in the mail when I have this baby and my milk comes in. ouch!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chani
post Aug 2 2006, 01:30 PM
Post #4382

Hardcore BUSTie

Blech. It is 38 degrees and HUMID today! The OR aircon can't keep up with the heat and we're decked out in heavy gowns and masks and goggles under the hot surgical lights. I haven't passed out yet, but the palpitations and numbness tell me it's only a matter of time, and my compression stockings won't arrive until Tuesday! It better cool down soon!
I went to bed last night before Chanibaby did! I'm just exhausted by the end of the day. I hate the first trimester. I know it's your body's way of making you slow down until you get big enough to be physically hindered. It still sucks.
Hope you ladies are having a better day!

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Aug 1 2006, 03:52 PM
Post #4383

Hardcore BUSTie

We met with a birth doula yesterday and both really liked her. We are also interviewing another one next Monday and we'll make our final decision then. I feel better just having decided to have a doula.

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Jul 29 2006, 10:17 AM
Post #4384

Tink's Red headed Step Sis

cranberri...I don't know exactly why, and I don't remember which trimester, but I know me and at least one other person i knew could only eat mexican food during our preganancies. I don't rememeber if it was just craving, ot that was teh only that didn't make us want to puke, but Taco Bell became my best friend. Saltine crackers work really well if you don't want all the fat from chips. And pretzels.

--------------------
~May the Fleas of one thousand camels infest the crotch of any person who messes up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch!~

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Jul 29 2006, 10:15 AM
Post #4385

Hardcore BUSTie

Cran, right now eat what you can. And the advice to eat a very low salt diet is outdated for normal pregnancies. It used to be thought it could help prevent pre-eclampsia, but that hasn't held up. (Good nutrition is thought to play a role, though, especially getting enough protein.) So don't worry about the salt.

I'm glad you've found something as it is so miserable to be sick all the time.

I'm a big person, and I was afraid I'd end up gaining a ton of weight with a pregnancy, but I havn't. In fact, I've had a hard time eating enough, overall. (First it was the nausea, then the increasing pressure of the growing uterus in my abdomen meant I just couldn't eat that much!) So for the first time I feel pretty free to eat what I want with impunity. It's been pretty good. I was totally off chocolate for the first few months, though--amazing. Now I like it, but I don't get cravings. I do get cravings for protein foods, like tofu, and even eggs sound good, which I don't usually care much for.

+Quote Post
cranberrigirl
post Jul 29 2006, 05:42 AM
Post #4386

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks all for the suggestions. I ended up getting "what to expect," and Hot Mama How to have a babe and be a hot babe. Its just a funny-feel good book that I like.

So this past week has been the worst. I'm going into week 7 and I've been peeing all night, waking up feeling vomity, and friday I had a killer headache and lost my breakfast.

I went to work, and luckily ended up telling a co-worker who's been prego before and she said to eat "and you're going to think I'm crazy" she said, "Chips, salty chips." I grabbed some tortilla chips that I had packed for lunch and I just chomped on them. like all day. It's the only think I could manage. Last night for dinner I finally had an appetite and I thought okay, I had a thin slice of pep pizza, a large salad and AN ENTIRE box of fries. with salt. now I love salt, but people these were white with salt. It's like the only thing that doesn't make me vomity. Potatos and salt.

I'm going to be a brick house.

My mom, (who doesn't know yet) told me not to touch salt, but I can't get enough of it.

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Jul 28 2006, 08:04 PM
Post #4387

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks Chani,
I have appointments set up for interviews with two doulas in the next just over a week. Both sounded good on the phone.

Another question--are there any decent web boards, etc, for pregnant women? I'm thinking Bust-like, not the usual crap.

+Quote Post
chani
post Jul 27 2006, 06:26 PM
Post #4388

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks everyone! It definitely took me a few days to get used to the idea... last time we were trying so hard to get pregnant and had been expecting it to happen for so long that there was no mental preparation required. It's all good though - I think it's going to work out perfectly, as long as I survive the next 8 weeks.
Cranberri: I'm a medical person, so I do have an allopathic bias, but I found that What to expect was a pretty good book during my first pregnancy. The medical stuff was complete and correct and there was lots of great "is this normal" stuff that your doctor won't cover (and might not even know the answer too!)
Anoushh: Doulas in Canada need very little experience to get the certification. I don't know if it's the same in the states. Make sure you check their references and experience, and consider someone who is familiar with the medical system so that they can explain things correctly and thoroughly. I know a massage therapist and a retired nurse who work as doulas and I'm sure they'd both be incredible! Imho if you're paying big bucks for a support person, you shouldn't be paying someone who knows less than you do! Oh, and ask how they're going to support your partner as well. They need to feel involved and useful during this time too. Good luck!

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Jul 27 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #4389

I persoanlly don't, but a lady I used to work with had doulas at all of her births. She swore by them.

--------------------
~May the Fleas of one thousand camels infest the crotch of any person who messes up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch!~

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Jul 27 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #4390

Hardcore BUSTie

Anyone have experience with a doula for birth or postpartum? We are seriously thinking about it.

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Jul 24 2006, 02:41 PM
Post #4391

I just remembered the one that I enjoied the most was "the girlfriends guide" I can't remember if it was guide to pregnancy, or motherhood, or maybe even one of each. The writer has several books in The girlfriend's guide collection.

--------------------

+Quote Post
car
post Jul 24 2006, 02:29 PM
Post #4392

for being here so rarely, how do I have so many damn posts?!

Chani!! Mazel Tov!

I have been computerless for the past 2 weeks (no LJ, how have I survived) so this is the first I'm reading of this! While I know you said the timing isn't ideal, congrats on having an easy time of conception this time around. I am loving have two little ones close in age, fwiw

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Jul 22 2006, 07:13 PM
Post #4393

Hardcore BUSTie

See, everyone I know HATED "What to Expect When You're Expecting." I think they said it was dated and condescending, but I can't be sure that was all. I avoided it, however. And as there are some books in the UK libraries I liked called "Your Preganncy Week by Week" (a couple different with the same title) I looked for one here. The library had one--a different one--and I got it. It's by some guy called Glade Curtis. Can I just suggest that you AVOID THIS BOOK AT ALL COSTS. It was awful. Scaremongering and full of prejudice against home births, midwives, etc, and portrayed all doctors as wonderful and medical intervention as always necessary and good. It acted like there was nothing you could do to avoid epsiotomy ever, home birth would kill you (with no evidence and just WRONG "facts" and such like.

It was total crap.

So what did I like? So far Sheila Kitzinger (well known in the UK, not so much here) was good. And Ina May Gaskin is a goddess. Yes, her books have lots of hippie language, and the pictures are of back to the land hippies with flowing hair and beards, but The Farm has an impeccable record of birthing with almost no ceseareans, no maternal deaths, very very little pre-eclampsia, almost 70% of women with no tears, and almost no one needing an episiotomy, etc.

So those were both really good.

The book of the same name by Lesley Regan was not bad, though. (It may also be called "I'm Pregnant!" in this country--gah, what an awful title.)

The BBC has a week by week calender that's ok, too.

Chani! Whoohoo!

+Quote Post
squidmo
post Jul 22 2006, 10:35 AM
Post #4394

BUSTie

I picked up Great Expectations, and the week by weeks were good in that one, also it has a really good section on baby stuff (and all of the safety standards). Another one I got was The Mayo Clinic's Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy, and that one is ok, too. I prefer the other one, though. you can sign up for a thirty day free trial at Whattoexpect.com, and there are lots of resources on that site. hope that helps! Congrats!

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Jul 22 2006, 08:20 AM
Post #4395

That's a really great resource. It's not much of a read, but it has a lot of common questions and answers in it. I'm also fond of "pregancy week by week" calendars online. Just google it and several should come up. I kind of like to know what happening in there every week.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cranberrigirl
post Jul 22 2006, 07:36 AM
Post #4396

Hardcore BUSTie

Congrats everyone.. good baby vibes to everybody.

So there must be something in the water where I am, because a ton of people are preggers. I have been keeping a tight lip (superstitious reasons and I don't want to talk baby talk for the next several months.)But one of my supervisors is pregnant with her third, and a guy at Mr. Crans job is (are you sitting down?) having triplets.

I'm kind of caught in this world of baby explosion and baby repulsion though. I sort of want to be all giddy and think only baby goo, but at the same time I want to create a clothing line of tees that say..."not just a breeder. Well-thought out, planned for, coming to a good home of rational parents that thought about this, thought what this will do to the environment, the future, the public -baby inside."

On a brighter note I'm feeling fine. I'm coming into my 7th week. I'm running out at some point to get a book on this whole thing, since I'm not talking to anyone about it yet. My doc recommended "what to expect when you are expecting.. " any suggestions?

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Jul 21 2006, 07:18 PM
Post #4397

Congrats Chani! Oh I can't wait till I can join you guys! This weekend we do teh deed and hopefully in 2 weeks or so I will be coming in here with my own good news!

--------------------

+Quote Post
chani
post Jul 21 2006, 06:59 PM
Post #4398

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks jasmine, congrats are definitely in order - we want a bigger family, the timing is just a little off. If it had been 3 months from now I would have been ecstatic! It's just taken me a few hours to get used to the idea. Have fun at your ultrasound, they're pretty incredible.

+Quote Post
jasmine77
post Jul 21 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #4399

BUSTie

Thanks anoushh!

I think what I'm feeling is the baby moving. It feels a lot like going down a hill really fast... Kinda that fluttery, tickling feeling low down in the belly. It's gotten more noticable and distinct in the past couple days, so I think that's it. yay!! The Mr. and I have an ultrasound scheduled for next Weds and we'll get to find out if it's a boy or girl then (if the mini-Jas is agreeable and shows us the goods, that is)! I can't wait! I can finally stop calling it "IT" and maybe use a semi-proper pronoun. biggrin.gif

And congrats Chani... I think.

+Quote Post
chani
post Jul 21 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #4400

Hardcore BUSTie

5 minutes ago I got 2 lines on the pee stick! I'm a little embarrassed - I work in obstetrics and all my colleagues know we weren't planning to get pregnant any time soon. What can I say - whoops!
Last time around we needed fertility drugs so my dismay at being pregnant again so soon (Chanibaby is 12 months) is reduced somewhat by relief that I don't have the same risk of a twin pregnancy with a natural conception.
MrChani will be home soon. He's going to be very excited. Oh well! I guess I have 9 months to get used to the idea!

+Quote Post

224 Pages V  « < 218 219 220 221 222 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 24, 2014 - 07:09 AM