Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
auralpoison
I was a CoF yesterday. I dropped several pounds last week & none of my pants fit. I looked like I dropped a load in my trousers.

I can attest, my cousin wore five inch clear stripper heels to her nuptials. She tromped down the aisle like a Clydesdale. I kept waiting for them to light up.

Back in the day, when I was the first kid in my school in Docs, a knock-off brand made pairs faux pairs in clear. It was like a foot sauna, all you could see was a sweaty fog & moist pink flesh.

I think some of us were born for hats. I love hats. If I find a cute one that'll actually fit my melon, I'm on it. And it is one of the cool things about going to church with my grandparents: black women like hats. Their church is sometimes more like a holy-roller fashion show than worship.

See, Mouse, I knew we had different perceptions of "old lady clothes". The Women Within look was what I was talking about. My mom got both that & Roaman's & they make me want to cry.

Please tell me nobody decides it's a good idea to bring back Hypercolor. That was the grossest trend evah in the 80s. I remember when it hit here in the late 80s & my jr high went crazy for it. "Look, I have sweaty pits & they're green while my shirt is light blue!" Although you always knew who got play at a make-out party.
crazyoldcatlady
amen, mouse. i was looking at that site, and it took me like 10 minutes to figure out that it was for plus-sizes, despite what the models were.

re: lilac's site.... um, "mineral wash"? as in, "stone washed"? what i want to know is when the 90's revival will come around. nothing says apathetic angst like babydoll dresses and chokers.
octobersky
COF spotted today at First Watch (breakfast/brunch place) in an upscale section of town: short ill fitting stonewashed jean shorts, not horrid but working the way up - orangey floral print tank top about four sizes too small, no bra and DD cup breasts shoved into it. Seriously she was spilling out all over the place, and the girls were hanging almost to her waist. Plus you could see all of her stretch marks and bluish breast veins - (which I have but don't display for all to see at brunch!) My brother and I thought that we were going to see a nip slip along with our waffles.......
Gypsymoth
Not so much a COF as a crime of context. I saw a girl today wearing a tiny, tiny bikini and riding a bicycle. The bikini did look good on her, but from certain angles it looked like she was wearing only the top.
culturehandy
Speaking of '80's I must express my disgust that people are wearing Marty McFly Nikes. And they are in the most horrible colour, it looks like someone vomitted on shoes to colour them.
freckleface7
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Jul 6 2008, 09:48 AM) *
I can attest, my cousin wore five inch clear stripper heels to her nuptials. She tromped down the aisle like a Clydesdale. I kept waiting for them to light up.

Please tell me nobody decides it's a good idea to bring back Hypercolor. That was the grossest trend evah in the 80s. I remember when it hit here in the late 80s & my jr high went crazy for it. "Look, I have sweaty pits & they're green while my shirt is light blue!" Although you always knew who got play at a make-out party.

ok I still have the pair of 4 inch lucite light ups.. they lite blue & red, but only wear them, uhhh Never (except to take them out of the box every once in awhile & mash around & make the mr & frecklette laugh (wonder what the pupp's would think of them? they are so easily facinated, lol) and while I *know* they are sooooo wrong, I cannot bear to part with them.

hypercolor reminded me of neon.
maud did I hate neon!!
once, my friend's mom who owned a small boutique in our town, took both of us to the merchandise Mart downtown chicago & up to the Buyers Floor & issued a challenge to us: we each got to pick out 2 or 3 things that she would sell in her store and we'd see who had better retail instincts.
my friend chose all neon. bracelets (those awful thin stretchy kind that now have 'dirty meanings') & oversized wife beaters (to be worn w/ a tighter fitting tank under & bike shorts) & hair scrunchies I think (w/ the mall hair bangs & pony) whereas I chose more classic: fitted white button down shirts & something w/ pearls & I think a classic, tasteful plaid of some sort, maybe a skirt?
anyway, a few weeks later we met at the store to see how it went and most of my friend's stuff was still there.. marked down bc it hadn't sold, whereas Mine was selling well still.
Ha HA! classics & taste Prevail ~ !

please please, 80's music & optimism can return yes, but no bike shorts as actual ok to go out in public shorts, no elastic stirrup pants & NO NEON.
doodlebug
Oh my f'ing god, we got stirrup pants in at the clothing store I work in.

Fortunately, I haven't seen anyone buy them yet. But on Saturday, I saw a woman with a mullet walk into the store....so the stirrup purchases are coming....yeeeaarrrggghhh!

Anti-CoF: apparently there was a Jehovah's Witness conference in town, and we had a whole crowd of JW women and their families in the store on Friday evening. All the women on staff kept commenting in the back room about how good it was to see nicely-dressed men and children for a change. Honestly, they all looked so sweet and gorgeous - and not in suits or big frilly dresses or anything - just clean and tidy, and very nicely-dressed, appropriately for the hot weather. (I guess there is something about this time of year that compels you to write about anti-crimes of fashion!)

I had a hypercolour baseball hat, as I recall. I got bored with making handprints on the brim really quickly.
i_am_jan
W'tup crimeys, laughing so loud as I read through the keen observations. Holy tamale sauce.

This may have been mentioned before but if not, I have bad news for jocky, athletic girls on the bike path today sad.gif I think we've all had quite enough of the folded-over Soffe athletic shorts with the white cotton waistband hanging over. For an awkward moment between about 2001 - 2007, it was cute? but now it's back to just looking like you're walking around with the biggest wedgie ever / your shorts up your arse / like a doof with your white cotton skivvies screaming out, "Notice me! Notice me!"

snarky7
Seen driving thru local campus today...40-ish, female, athletic-style crop pants in orangey-beige, white athletic shoes, but get this - yellow oversized tshirt TIED UP on the left hip. Even the semi-mullet haircut. Talk about take me back....
thirtiesgirl
Re: Woman Within... yes, absolutely HORRIBLE name for a plus size online catalog. I believe it's actually owned by Lane Bryant, since they sell a lot of the same items as Lane Bryant Catalog (which sells different items than the Lane Bryant store itself; the catalog and store being two separate entities).

That said, though, I've ordered a few items from Woman Within. Some of their tops lately aren't so bad. I ordered this pintucked shirt in black (which hasn't arrived yet, and I wish it would hurry up, but it's on backorder because it's so popular)...

And I ordered this top in dark blue and kind of a dark teal green (although they're apparently not selling the dark blue any more). I love the Battenberg lace along the neckline (gives it a very Victorian/'20s detail), and the top is made of a non-wrinkling linen fabric, so it's very light and comfortable, not to mention cute (well, at least *I* think so!). I got them about a month ago and I absolutely love them.

With regard to stirrup pants... I believe they are coming back in fashion. Sad but true. Observe:

...But since this thread is about crimes of fashion (many of which I've committed in my day), I'll share one that I observed at the mall yesterday when I went to try and return some skinny pants at Torrid. I saw a teenage girl wearing white cotton pants (not jeans, mind you, but white cotton pants made of very thin fabric), through which you could clearly see her orange and pink polka-dotted bikini underwear. She was walking the mall with her mom and I kept wondering how her mom could let the girl go out of the house that way. But then mom was wearing a pair of khaki daisy dukes that nearly disappeared beneath her ginormous red t-shirt (which was emblazoned with a 4th of July motif with many rhinestones and shiny studs), so if you didn't look twice, you might think mom was just wearing the t-shirt and nothing else. Ah, familial inspiration.
lilacgypsy
Last night at a local baseball game...on the gal (16?...18?) who was singing the National anthem...

Starting from the feet white high tops, White biker shorts under a denim mini shirt with sequins and applique around the hem. Topped by a long white t-shirt ( going over the mini and a cropped denim jacket with more applique. ---and she destroyed the song*

goes under cob.

mornington
other than the usual display of shirtless beer-bellied men...

too-tight white trousers, muffin top, visible thong. several times

tights under shorts with the control top showing *on the leg* (as in 60den tights, where the gusset/pant bit is darker). on several occasions.

and repeat after me: leggings are not trousers. leggings are not trousers.

octobersky
Spotted at NIN concert in Seattle:

Strangely boxy white/grey shirt
"Mom" style jean shorts, cut to midthigh in a pale blue dirty wash
Back fishnets under said shorts
Teal/grey athletic socks pulled up to the lower calf
Dirty white Reebock circa '92

I didn't see a full front on but I really don't think she was trying to be ironic.

Yet another:
Late 40ish man
Oompaloompa tan
Dyed black hair which looked normal from the front, but when he turned around he displayed a butt-length scraggly rat tail
Black eyeliner
Black shirt/jeans
Over shirt/jeans a cheap looking black satin kimono jacket trimmed with gold satin, plus the sleeves were gathered with elastic so they were puffy. Just a strange looking little man....
cecilia
Oompaloompa tan! Ha, I love it! Whenever I see a man sporting a rat tail, it makes me wish I kept scissors in my purse.
thirtiesgirl
Pardon my ignorance, but what is an oompaloompa tan?
lilacwine13
On my last trip to the mall I saw a 70 year old woman with a rat tail that went halfway down her back. The rest of her looked normal, though.

An oompa loompa tan would be really, really, orange.

octobersky
That fake bake, orange-y spray tan. In the first "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" the Oompaloompa's had orange skin tones, hence the name smile.gif

Edit- yeah what lilac said! Yes he was very, very orange.
mouse
last night, at the liquor store, two girls dressed identically:

--black boots
--black, hole-y tights
--baggy plaid flannel button-down, at least 3 sizes too big

ok, i get it. you're trying for that i'm-not-trying, lindsay-lohan-via-devendra-banhart, everything-that-gives-the-eastside-a-bad-name look. i understand, and sometimes that look can work. but come on, you two are obviously there as friends. one of you just handed the other some cash. i mean, isn't that basically as bad as showing up to the prom wearing the same dress as another girl? you guys obviously know each other, why don't you call each other before planning your meticulously unplanned eveningwear? cos otherwise, that shit's just embarassing.
yuefie
Spotted at a my local mall:

Man, mid forties still dressed as he clearly was in the 80's.

Example one: Big time mullet. We're talking business up front, party in back. He may as well have had a flat top with a wide rat tail in the very back.

Example two: The original Pac-Man tee that was so old it was see thru.

Example three: The acid wash pale blue bleached mom cut jeans (high waist, tapered leg) that were so light they almost appeared to be white with darker patches around knees from being so old, completely frayed at the hem.

Example four: Very, very old, dirty ass velcro Reebok's.

He was also sporting a large beer gut which was peeking out of the bottom of his shirt.
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(mouse @ Aug 4 2008, 02:21 PM) *
last night, at the liquor store, two girls dressed identically:

--black boots
--black, hole-y tights
--baggy plaid flannel button-down, at least 3 sizes too big

ok, i get it. you're trying for that i'm-not-trying, lindsay-lohan-via-devendra-banhart, everything-that-gives-the-eastside-a-bad-name look. i understand, and sometimes that look can work. but come on, you two are obviously there as friends. one of you just handed the other some cash. i mean, isn't that basically as bad as showing up to the prom wearing the same dress as another girl? you guys obviously know each other, why don't you call each other before planning your meticulously unplanned eveningwear? cos otherwise, that shit's just embarassing.

That look sounds decidedly Grunge to me.

I should have picked up on the Oompaloompa orange tan thing. I *was* an Oompaloompa, fer chrissakes. Not in the movie, of course, but a kids' theater group I was in at age 10. We did a production of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, and they painted all the Oompaloompas orange. We even had to be in some dopey children's parade with our green wigs and orange makeup, which of course melted in the sun as we walked the parade route. ...Hmm, perhaps this should be in the confessions thread. Bless me father, for I have sinned. I was an Oompaloompa and hated it.
mouse
i think grunge would at least deign to put on some goddamn pants.
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(mouse @ Aug 4 2008, 10:43 PM) *
i think grunge would at least deign to put on some goddamn pants.

This is true. But I recall seeing at the time a lot of girls doing the big flannel shirts, cut off denim shorty shorts, ripped tights and DMs. Sometimes the flannel shirts were so big, they practically hid the shorts from view. That and the babydoll dresses with big clunky shoes and bruised knees. Two looks I hope to never see again.
octobersky
Mmm the grunge look, I remember that pretty clearly. I was about 20 (gah, i'm old) and one of my favorite outfits was a pair cutoffs - stolen from a boy, black tights, Doc Martens, black or some other nondescript color shirt with a flannel or sweatshirt or baggy sweater tossed over it. Comfort, pure comfort. I also owned a few babydoll dresses and clunky maryjanes....Yes Busties I was a crime of fashion!! But seriously soooo comfy, plus I thought I looked adorable. I wouldn't be caught dead in said outfits now though......

*Hangs head in shame and waits for rotten fruit to be thrown*
girltrouble
oh now, octo, there is no shame in grunge. you're up here in the pnw, yes? the wetlands? up here it made complete sense. back then seattle was waaaaaay more working class in atmosphere-- honestly i miss that seattle instead of the stupid, pretentious, microsoft millionare, i-have-a-condo-and-drive-a-hummer, nouveau riche bullshit that's over run it.

there was nothing wrong with grunge-- it was a product of it's environment and a reaction against the even worse cof, hair metal stylee, and the bright obnoxiousness of early to mid 80's color and shoulderpads.
thirtiesgirl
Being a '30sgirl, I never had an issue with shoulderpads in the '80s, although some of the colors were pretty annoying. By the '90s, I was in full-on mod mode, I think as a reaction of sorts to grunge style. I wore monkey boots instead of Docs (although I did own a pair of two-tone Doc saddle shoes: burgundy & blue), tartan skirts, little sweaters, and black loafers. If they'd had skinny pants & skimmers at the time, I would have worn those, too.

That said, though, I also had a goth side that I never seemed to be able to find the right clothes for. I grew up in a small beachy tourist town about 2 hours north of LA, so there wasn't any place for me to shop for goth gear in my hometown. I didn't have a car in high school or early college, so I couldn't drive to Hollywood to shop at places like Retail Slut on Melrose (long before Hot Topic took over the malls of America, there was Retail Slut). So I was what I like to call a 'Ross goth.' We had 1 Ross store in my hometown, which I'd trawl about once a month for flowy, lacey tops and dresses, usually made in India, and hopefully dyed black. If I couldn't find black, I'd go for burgundy, purples or red. If they had any kind of knit or crocheted detail, all the better. I had a pair of granny boots (aka, hobnail lace-up boots) that I wore with most of my Ross goth outfits. And as I gained weight in college, the Ross goth look worked well to 'hide' the extra lbs.

What I was *actually* doing was making myself look more & more like a Stevie Nicks reject, unbeknownst to me. My 'Ross goth' look was actually 'upscale hippie/beatnik,' which I didn't realize until I saw an upscale hippie beatnik woman (there were many in the touristy beach town where I grew up) come into the record store where I worked in college, wearing the same blouse I'd bought at Ross just a month before. Oh sure, she was all pinks, mauves and aqua blues, but it was still the same damn shirt worn by this crystal-wearing hippie with the Darryl Hannah from Splash hairdo, smelling of patchouli.

I promptly went home, cleaned out my closet and got rid of as much Ross goth stuff as I could, I'm sure making any hippie/beatnik types who shopped at the Goodwill very happy. I tried to contain my Ross goth shopping in the next few years, but it was difficult. There really weren't any decent plus size clothing stores in my area at the time, save Lane Bryant, and their styles were so trendy back then, I really didn't like what they had to offer. It wasn't until I moved to LA in the late '90s that department stores really began to make some decent, wearable plus sized fashions that weren't uber-trendy or looked like old lady resort wear with rhinestones, shiny studs, puffy clouds, etc., or all made out of seersucker cotton. Lane Bryant slowly got better, less trendy and a little more individualistic (although not by much). But in the meantime, it must be said that I perpetrated many crimes of fashion while waiting for clothing retailers to catch up to the fact that there are many plus sized women out there with different, individual senses of style, and we don't all like to look the same, follow the trends or hide behind our clothes.

...Anyway, 'nuff said for now, before I rant myself into the plus size fashion thread. What can I say? I'm a big girl with a big mouth.
mouse
i think there's a very large difference between grunge and the current hipster i'm-not-trying no-style style. for one, these girls were wearing urban outfittery heeled boots, not docs. definitely not a throwback to 90s styling, but more a concerted effort to be very current. unfortunately they did not consult each other and ended up looking like twins, which only highlighted their fervent trend-following.

kind of like seeing five sorority girls in a row walk by in juicy sweatpants, little white t-shirts, and uggs. awesome.
octobersky
Nah, GT I wish I was in the pnw. My bf lives there so I've been there several times - that's how I spotted the COF in at the NIN concert. I went to college in a hippie/liberal town, so about anything flew there. I'm actually considering moving to the pnw though....

Thirtiesgirl - I can totally identify with trying to be "goth/alternative" in a small town, pre-HotTopic - not that I would have shopped there anyway. wink.gif My clothes were an odd blend of Express/Nicole/Limited and thrift store/Army Navy surplus store. Yep, that right. Combat boots and Limited jeans with a Navy peacoat accessorized with thrift store jewelry. Also complemented with a permanent scowl, Robert Smith hair and black eyeliner. Honestly in my dismal little town that was akin to social death in some circles. The aesthetic at the time there was Guess jeans, GIANT mall hair, Guess sweatshirts, matching flats and Liz Claiborne purses.

"kind of like seeing five sorority girls in a row walk by in juicy sweatpants, little white t-shirts, and uggs. awesome."

Exactly mouse!!! Reminds me of that line in the Holy Grail - "you're all individuals. right?" "Right!!"
auralpoison
Totally OT: Oh. My. Cod. Liz Claiborne! The locker room my freshman year of high school absolutely REEKED of that stank ass Liz Claiborne perfume. LC, Exclamation!, & Aquanet. Oh, and foot & ass.
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(octobersky @ Aug 5 2008, 09:00 PM) *
Thirtiesgirl - I can totally identify with trying to be "goth/alternative" in a small town, pre-HotTopic - not that I would have shopped there anyway. wink.gif My clothes were an odd blend of Express/Nicole/Limited and thrift store/Army Navy surplus store. Yep, that right. Combat boots and Limited jeans with a Navy peacoat accessorized with thrift store jewelry. Also complemented with a permanent scowl, Robert Smith hair and black eyeliner. Honestly in my dismal little town that was akin to social death in some circles. The aesthetic at the time there was Guess jeans, GIANT mall hair, Guess sweatshirts, matching flats and Liz Claiborne purses.

I wish I'd had that much fashion sense in high school. I didn't start visiting the Army/Navy surplus store until I was in college, and then I was almost too afraid to try anything on. I first went in to buy a Swiss Army gas mask bag (remember when those were THE punk rock purse? army green shoulder bag w/ a little Swiss Army cross on the front) because the Army surplus store was the only place that sold them (well, duh!). I probably never would have gone in, otherwise. I was still kind of a wuss back then. But the more I looked around, I realized it was a pretty good resource for 'alternative' fashion. I was so happy when I discovered the pea coat. Such a great look and mine have seen me through many winters (I have a standard black wool, and a chocolate brown wool with leopard print lining on the inside - love it!).
octobersky
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Aug 5 2008, 10:16 PM) *
Totally OT: Oh. My. Cod. Liz Claiborne! The locker room my freshman year of high school absolutely REEKED of that stank ass Liz Claiborne perfume. LC, Exclamation!, & Aquanet. Oh, and foot & ass.

You forgot Colours de Benetton!! rolleyes.gif OMG Exclamation! A boyfriend of mine gave me a bottle of that - yech. Cover Girl had some perfume called "Navy" *I think* A friend of mine wore that. Does anyone remember High Karate for the boys? Horrid stuff. tongue.gif

On the subject of stanky perfume/cologne when I was in middle school my parents made me take social dancing lessons. Oh yeah. Not my idea of fun. There was the one boy with the last name of Browning which described him perfectly as he was rather well, brown. But he would bathe in the most gawd-awlful cologne and the poor kid sweat profusely making it reek even more. Us girls had to wear white gloves and after you danced with him your gloves would just reek the entire class. To this day I don't like white gloves or stank ass cologne! laugh.gif

Thirtiesgirl, thanks for the complement, but I don't think it was fashion sense, just a need to not conform. Really if you saw my hair, it was laughable. That look works on one person - Robert Smith.
lilacwine13
I remember Exclamation! and Navy, remember dousing myself with one of those before a high school dance. Yikes indeed.

I think thirtiesgal inadvertently described my former department head's sense of style in her description of her high school outfits: upscale beatnik/hippie. I seem to recall her wearing lots of flowy skirts and tops, and this was in the past year. Not sure if it was because of choice or because she had problems finding clothes in her size, though.

As for high school fashion, the less said the better. I lived far enough in the sticks to not have a decent thrift store and couldn't travel to the nearest big city to go shopping (Minneapolis or St. Paul), so I had to make do with whatever was at the local mall or Target. This meant I looked really boring back then because well, that's where almost everyone else shopped too. I did manage to find some hair dye a la Manic Panic at the local record store, so my hair was really bright red for a while. It was great.

What I did do was hats. Lots of hats, lots of different varieties, floppy, baseball, pillbox, flapper, I could have given the girls on Blossom a run for their money.
girltrouble
omg--- lilac-- one of my friends nabed one of the store displays for 'hi-karate'. i thought it was so funny. no the stink that was prevailant in my era was "drakkar noir"....ugh
auralpoison
Dang. Hai Karate was like Brut or Old Spice. Thank goodness it went away, I wish it would have taken the other two with it.

Polo. We forgot Polo. Late 80s/early 90s guys dug that shit. During homecoming I had to sit next to this smelly football player in a Fiat. He reeeked like a jockstrap soaked in Polo.

I started getting weird in hs. P-HT, I got bondage pants & spiked things & my first anorak from a catalogue called BLACKOUT! A lot of LipService & stuff like that, they sold mod clothes, too. I tried on many different styles, but I always came back to boots, tights, cutoffs/jeans, band tshirts, dresses/skirts, & flannel. Army surplus was a treat. I still have my gasmask bag, except mine is decorated with Sharpied insects.

ETA, my peacoat is dark grey.

OT, On flannel, where has it all gone? I used to be able to go to discount store & score five for fifteen bucks. This year, meh.
i_am_jan
Ooh, ooh, thirtiesgirl: Still got my pea coat too ... I haven't found a coat I like as much yet, and the style just looks better and better to me every decade. This must be some sort of pea-coat phenomenon!! tongue.gif Mine is dark navy...
octobersky
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Aug 6 2008, 12:22 PM) *
He reeeked like a jockstrap soaked in Polo.

Bwahh!!! Yes Polo, what about CK? Guys and girls wore the crap out of that. Blech. I swear they still sell that. Gives me a headache just thinking about it. Polo and CK were the signature scents of the douche-y frat boys, I could smell them a mile away.

During the early/mid 90's I wore The Body Shop's sandalwood oil. Kinda fit with my gothy/hippie/grungey sensibility at the time. I hope I didn't reek!
mouse
my highschool years were only about a decade ago so i don't really have fun crappy trends to report on...i wore a steady diet of paint-splattered mens pants and little boy t-shirts from the 50-cent goodwill. i also shaved my head twice, which really won me a lot of popularity (not). if i wasn't getting catcalls questioning my gender and/or whether or not i had recently enlisted, people were nervously asking my friends if i had cancer.

but i have to say, smell is a really evocative sense for me and as immature and stank as they may be, i will always have a soft spot for old spice and drakkar noir because it was every boy i ever fell in love with in highschool, and some of them were HOTTTTT. dirty mohawked chainsmoking quaker boys in skirts and doc martens wearing old spice. guhh.
i_am_jan
QUOTE(mouse @ Aug 7 2008, 02:13 AM) *
but i have to say, smell is a really evocative sense for me and as immature and stank as they may be, i will always have a soft spot for old spice and drakkar noir because it was every boy i ever fell in love with in highschool, and some of them were HOTTTTT. dirty mohawked chainsmoking quaker boys in skirts and doc martens wearing old spice. guhh.

Dang, write a one-handed read why dontcha!
missladyj
I too am of the drakkar noir generation. I distinctly remember that smell. I myself was a white linen girl

Speed stick deodorant is one of those smells from my adolescence that gets me purring
sybarite
Oh yikes, you are all taking me back, and not in a good way. Count me in the drakkar noir era, ditto polo, ditto the godawful CKOne. This one girl used to wear so much Obsession you could tell if she'd been in the school bathroom 15 minutes after she'd left.

All those scents were so strong. Yuk. I think I hit my limit with 'Poison'. Even I could tell that stuff didn't smell right on my 15 year old self.

I liked grunge but as I recall all the clothes were a hell of a lot baggier than they are now. This time around, as noted below, people are just skipping the trousers and showing off the tights. The look makes no sense without doc martens anyway.

There's a world of difference between actually wearing your boyfriend's shirt and buying a carefully oversized plaid shirt/jacket that is 'boyfriend-sized.' Did irony leave the building right behind grunge?

*shakes head, mutters 'these kids today...'*
lilacwine13
Hai Karate, ha.

For some reason, I'm having trouble remembering what the boys in my high school wore for cologne. Either they were too "manly" for it, or else it was all so horrible that my memory has blocked it out.

I..used to like CK One, and all of their scents. However, I like to think my taste has improved, perfume-wise. My signature scent for the last three years of high school was something called Cherry Vanilla, some sort of retro perfume that has been discontinued. At least I didn't smell like everyone else.

One perfume that sticks out most in my mind, though, is Malibu Musk. Oy, that stuff was vile.
llamas
Mmm, Cherry Vanilla. I used to wear that too. And I swear I've seen it a store somewhere semi-recently, so maybe they're making it again.

Interestingly enough, I think the guys at my high school didn't really wear cologne, which is probably a good thing. However, pretty much any guy, ever, who wears Old Spice is not going to get anywhere with me, because I associate that particular smell with my dad.
crinoline
omg, malibu musk!!! My best friend in junior high wore that! It was truly vile, I was allergic to something in it and whenever she sprayed it I choked. I think it cost like a $1.50 a bottle or something. just nasty, I can smell it right now!

I graduated high school recently enough that the halls reeked of AXE body spray, which my brother in high school now uses in copious amounts.

I like speed stick on a man. I hate cologne, my European grandfather has always worn heavy cologne and he's the only one I could ever stand it on.

As for COF- An open letter to 40% of girls on my campus-
Wow, that sure is a cute top honey, but I think you forgot to wear PANTS!!!!!! Damn you tunic tops!
mornington
unpleasant though ckone is, it is infinitely, infinitely better than lynx (axe in the states, I think). There is nothing quite like the smell of unwashed 14-year-old boy under a cloud of lynx wrapped in wet wool, which is the smell I associate with boys at my school.

I wore gap blue, until some bitch decided it was "her" scent and bought a bottle, then told everyone I'd copied her - it was easier to give up - so I smelt of coco butter and the bodyshop's vanilla scent.

they still sell ckone.
mouse
oh, i remember gap perfumes! i loved gap grass SOOOOOOO much. i was so bummed when it was discontinued!
deschatsrouge
In jr. high every girl smelled like vanilla fields. You would have thought I went to jr. high in a pudding factory.
mouse
wtf, busties?

so katie holmes wore some weird rolled-up baggy jeans for like three days and now it's a national trend. designers are talking about making pre-rolled jeans and today a chick in the marketing dept at my work (in the fashion industry, so no it was not a fug coincidence) was sporting the exact same style--super baggy, pegged just above the ankle.

seriously it's been like three days since katie first debuted these. how the hell does a trend catch on that quickly?

the most hilarious part: Us magazine says that katie was just wearing her husband's jeans and had pegged them because they were too short for her. AND THIS SUDDENLY BECAME A VALID TREND. IN THREE DAYS. W.T.F.
girltrouble
THIS SUDDENLY BECAME A VALID TREND.

not on my black ass it didn't.

tch. it's not like she hasn't got access to millions, go buy a pair of jeans that fit like someone with some sense.
mouse
PSH, gt, by "valid" i certainly don't mean "approved" or "cute" or "attractive"--i just mean that it is undeniably all of a sudden, A TREND. wtf, though? how does that happen in under a week????? and with something so FUG?
auralpoison
All it takes is for one "stylish" media personality to do something stupid & all the painfully tragic characters emulate.

BUT PINCH FOLDING YOUR JEANS?! That was retarded when I did it back in 1988!
vixen_within
Clown pants I call them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.