Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
culturehandy
On the topic of perfume, I rememer all that.

Remember the Cool Water trend, too? I wore (and still do) Contradiction by Calvin Klein, that's a nice scent. I do recall CKone, then CKBe. PoloSport, the gap scents. I could go on and on.

What the hell are those pants.

I have to say I'm rally not big into the gladiator shoes. not my thing.
geekchickknits
The Katie Holmes rolled jean isn't NEARLY as bad as strapping those up the ankle/calf gladiator sandals OVER jeans.

Sienna Miller (a so-called fashion icon) has done this on multiple occaisions.
mouse
due to some free shit thanks to a friend who works at a high-end shoe design company, i seem to have, as of tonight, jumped on the gladiator sandal trend. they are only two straps, and they are NEON HOT PINK, which makes any ridiculousness of the gladiator sandal to begin with over-the-top and thus (often) acceptable....is this OK?

i need bustie approval!

also: can i wear them with my turquoise short-shorts? or should i be shot?
sybarite
Actually mouse, I think turquoise short shorts are one of the items which would adequately complement neon pink gladiators. I don't do gladiator shoes, but I like the sound of yours: kind of like an ironic take on the gladiator shoe.

Don't be adding any chartreuse to the mix now...
missladyj
I agree with sybarite for sure . go ahead with your badself and rock that look mouse!
thirtiesgirl
Oy vey. I just saw that pic of Katie Holmes and I can't believe wearing baggy rolled jeans is coming back in fashion (or that people are making an attempt to have it come back). I was in junior high in the '80s when that was the trend. I rolled my jeans that way, as did every other girl at my school, and most of us looked absolutely ridiculous doing it.

I have to say, though, I work at a middle school now and I see the girls doing some pretty silly things with their jeans. For about 2 years, they were rubber-banding their jeans at the bottom and ballooning them out slightly over the tops of their sneakers. In the past year or so, I've started to see a lot of middle school girls get into the skinny jeans trend, but not all the girls like them. They seemed to be equally divided between girls who wear skinny jeans and girls who band their jeans at the bottom. Now I've started to see girls doing something new, which is tuck the bottom edge of their jeans inside the tongue of their sneakers (this is usually done with low-top Chucks or Nike basketball sneakers), and let the back bottom edge of their jeans hang over the heel of the sneaker. (This is best done with jeans that have a slightly bootcut leg, so it looks like skinny jeans will soon be going out of fashion, once the 12-14 year old girls stop buying them.)

I guess it shows my age that I really don't get these new trends and think they look pretty ridiculous on the girls (I mean, the whole thing with rubber-banding jeans at the bottom and puffing them out just made the girls' legs look shorter), but I'd certainly never say anything about it to them. I wouldn't have trusted any adult who told me the whole rolled jeans thing in junior high looked stupid.

And mouse, I totally agree about Grass. I loved that scent when the Gap made it. I wish they'd make it again. My friend Kathy introduced me to it and I trust her judgment on all things scented, since she has a much better sense of smell than I do and knows her perfume and bath products. She also introduced me to the Lush store; need I say more?
culturehandy
Mouse, I agree with Syb and missladyj. I'd do the pink gladiator shoes.

thritiesgirl, I always thought the uber large looking skater shoes with the jeans tucked into them. A very strange combination indeed.
lilacwine13
Those pictures of Katie Holmes rolling her jeans brought back memories of elementary school for me too, I was waiting for her to appear in a Hypercolor shirt and LA Gear shoes.

mouse
alas, i spoke too soon. the gladiator sandals are fucking uncomfortable. i have a slight foot malfunction where i tend to roll in on my soles, and this means that, because the sandals are attached above the ankle, the sole doesn't move with my foot and i end up walking half on the ground, half on the shoe. lamey lame lame.
bustygirl
I like chartreuse, but on the acid-green yellow tinged side, not the godawful DayGlo neon green they keep threatening to bring back.

I like skinny jeans, so I'll keep buying them until you can't find them anymore. I also like straightleg jeans, so when Converse One Star came out with theirs I bought multiple pairs. I hate bootleg jeans, and I hate hate HATE flares.

I know neon is coming back, because Fashion is a tarty whore that has a short, unoriginal memory. However, I plan on looking on in uppity disdain wearing my charcoal grey/black/denim uniform when it does. One of the nice things about getting older is that you don't have to follow any trends you don't like.
i_am_jan
QUOTE(bustygirl @ Aug 18 2008, 07:09 PM) *
Fashion is a tarty whore that has a short, unoriginal memory.

Love it tongue.gif Read this interview recently of Deborah Harry circa 1984 and when asked to comment on fashion she replied, the opportunity to express herself and commented that she hated the idea of office work, or anyplace where you were told what to wear. She then commented that what she did not like about fashion was that it repeats itself. This was shortly after she donned the razor blade dress designed for her by (? forget? does anyone know?) Just thought I'd share that since she is a fashion icon for many of us and while we were on the subject of fashion repeating/not representing, had to share.)

As for neon, I'm indifferent. It comes, it goes. I wear a pair of neon orange sunglasses, a hot pink neon shirt for a year or two, then toss it away carelessly like a used piece of chewing gum the next. Polly Styrene and The Pistols were all about the neon though, so oh well.

I am currently wondering what's *really* up with "FitFlops"? I'm not sure I'm ready to take on the responsibility of having to get fit while I walk around during reg. daily mobility. I bet they're probably a tad more costly than reg. flip flops, too, (haven't checked for sure though) They have a slightly "Dr. Scholl's" reverbation to them, if anyone remembers late 70's/early 80's, like the suggestion you need these sandals for the health of your feet or some shiznite.
auralpoison
Stephen Sprouse?

Fitflops are just ugly shoes they want $50 for.
i_am_jan
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Aug 18 2008, 07:51 PM) *
Stephen Sprouse?

Fitflops are just ugly shoes they want $50 for.

Still, I can see them catching on via, like, HSN, or QVC, or Victorias Sec or something, tee hee. *sniffle* sad.gif
mouse
i, for one, welcome our new neon overlords. i have always been a fan of bright colors that most people don't think go together. cof me if you will.
girltrouble
QUOTE(i_am_jan @ Aug 18 2008, 06:45 PM) *
Still, I can see them catching on via, like, HSN, or QVC, or Victorias Sec or something, tee hee. *sniffle* sad.gif

yeah, but they sell quacker factory too.

...oh i shouldn't have brought that up...
she's a walking cof.

thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(bustygirl @ Aug 18 2008, 12:09 PM) *
I like skinny jeans, so I'll keep buying them until you can't find them anymore. I also like straightleg jeans, so when Converse One Star came out with theirs I bought multiple pairs. I hate bootleg jeans, and I hate hate HATE flares.

I'm so there with you on the straight/skinny jeans tip. I love them...although I have to say, for my shape, bootleg jeans look good on me, which is the only reason I have a few pair. Flares just make me look like an aging hippie without the hippie hair, so I try to avoid them at all costs.

Whew...Quacker Factory... don't even get me started. Seeing that lady on QVC gives me PTSD flashbacks to what fat lady clothing used to be. I swear, there was a time in the late '80s/early '90s when there was no cuteness or individuality to plus sized clothing. I'd go in the Broadway (remember that store?) or Robinsons-May, down to the basement where the fat lady clothing was, and find nothing but big sweatshirts and sweaters with little puffy clouds, ducks, chickens, etc., sewn on. As if all fat ladies are middle-aged midwestern mamas who don't know how to dress themselves. Apologies to the midwestern mamas who don't dress that way, as I'm sure there are plenty who have unique senses of style and chic that don't involve puffy clouds, big sweatshirts or rhinestone studs. But I think you know what I mean. Jean Bice is their queen.

Now Leslie Hall, the gem sweater lady is a different ball of wax. She, at least, had a sick sense of humor about her personal sense of style, and I absolutely love it. But Jean Bice is all heart, baby. She gets those chickens sewn on her sweaters and she is completely earnest about her love for them. She's not only the president, but a client. A true believer in the goodness and magic of having bugs, birds, weather patterns and rhinestones sewn on her sweaters, and she wears them with pride.

The horror...the horror.
crinoline
Seen *ohmyeyes* on my campus today:
Sorority type girl, blonde ponytail/dark roots. Generic T-shirt and running shorts (practically a uniform around here right now) over BLACK PANTYHOSE, not even tights. But it gets worse. With these seam toed pantyhose she was wearing FLIP-FLOPS!!!!!!!!! Like, nasty ass ninja style! I actually did a double take when I saw her.

Unfortunately awkward looking young man (probably a freshman) with a polo shirt buttoned to his chin and tucked into pleat front khaki shorts. Socks and Keds type sneakers. Ok, drab dresser -whatever. What was truly bad was that, despite the fact that he had a backpack, he was wearing a black leather FANNY-PACK! He wore it dead center, where his belt buckle would be, and he had a water bottle strapped to the front of it. wtf? His backpack even had those meshy pockets for water bottles!

...I'm scared to go back tomorrow
culturehandy
Ahhh the joys of back to school time, where COF's are everywhere.
take some petrol darling
probably the funniest one i've seen lately was a girl walking around the minnesota state fair in short-shorts and a homemade shirt that said "I DON'T WANT YOUR LOVE. I WANT JUICY." i am pretty unclear about what that could possibly mean, hahaha.
shinyx3
fiddler and i went to a tiny lil' podunk town fair and saw so many CoF's but the best was a man singing and playing keyboard on the "free stage". starting at the top. very thinning gray hair that seemed to be permed and fussy and in the shape of a triangle ala alice from dilbert only with out much on top. then very fright geometric print top, hot pink, ref, green orange etc. under a nylon vest of different pattern but similar colors. faded blue jeans with wide legs and old white dirty tennis shoes. he was somewhere between 55 and 70 (one of those truly ageless people) and was taking the music very seriously.

thought i was gonna have nightmares

take some- that shirt is hilarious! i have no clue what it means but it totally made me lol! mind if i make it my new quote?
mornington
*runs in screaming*

snap-crotch lycra body. with hot pink mock crop-top. also comes in peachy flesh-tone.
and the tan leather crop-top.

h&m, I love you, but seriously, MY EYES!!!
lananans
Today I saw an otherwise well put together girl commiting a serious COF.

She was wearing a green t-shirt, khaki bermuda shorts, and WHITE SOCKS AND SNEAKERS! AHHHHH! I know you need comfortable walking shoes, but seriously, there are better looking ones than that. That would match.
Christine Nectarine
cof in tim horton's a couple weeks ago...
middle age man w/ lionel richie style hair (when it was still a little long in the back)
blue, read severe blue suit over black shirt w/ over sized collar. gold chain. and shiny SHINY black shoes.

felt like he should be leaning on his convertible, telling me he knows "where there's a really great party tonight"...
lilacwine13
Last night, I think I found the bars where mullets go after they die. And no, it wasn't populated by hipsters.
Queen Bull
um, not really the most original crime of fashion, but wife beater thats at least a size too small, paired with whitey tighties and pants that are at least three sizes too big. complete with the obligatory crotch hold.

'twas magical...
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(Christine Nectarine @ Aug 30 2008, 05:58 PM) *
cof in tim horton's a couple weeks ago...
middle age man w/ lionel richie style hair (when it was still a little long in the back)
blue, read severe blue suit over black shirt w/ over sized collar. gold chain. and shiny SHINY black shoes.

felt like he should be leaning on his convertible, telling me he knows "where there's a really great party tonight"...

Heh. I'm imagining glass topped tables with lines of coke.
i_am_jan
Take some petrol: just saw your post about the "Juicy" tee. He he, yes, I am aware of a couple of "Juicy" girls in my area. They are a rare breed (yet there are tons of them) who can live WITHOUT love. As long as they have their Juicy Couture, just as the tee stated. Many of them can also live without food. They are quite a species. I hope they are done wearing velour tracksuits with juicy written on their butts this year though. Their butts is their fave place for the Juicy logo. (Even though "juicy butt" sounds awful to me, like a leakage.)
LilPinkElectricChair
On campus this year there seems to be an epidemic of hipster girls who wear bike shorts with oversize tunic shirts and scarves. It makes for a look that's half "let's Get Physical" meets Russian Peasant. Not good. Though I do admit as a 5 year old my favorite outfit consisted of bike shorts, a button up vest and neon fanny pack.
shinyx3
driving in the rain today i saw a man on his bike peddeling through the rain. we was wearing those thin nylon type cargo short. not my fav but whatever. the problem that in the rain they tend to get wet. and being that they were a light gray color, when wet the go pretty much transparent. and he apparently is not into wearing underwear while riding a bike. odd i know but never the less i am totally sure he had none on as i could see his ass very clearly and since he was standing up on the pedals i could actually see his junk dangling down as well. not really so attractive. *shudders at the memory* consequently i have no idea what the rest of him looked like.
hellotampon
eww haha!

I didn't pay much attention at the state fair this year, but I did see one girl who had one of those fake tattoos. It was a "tramp stamp" of a rose over some tribal thing, and it was stupid. She had her dumb Eblens tanktop rolled up and tucked under to show it off.
culturehandy
what is with shorts and scarves anyways?

It's 45 degree celcius out there, I don't think you need a scarf to keep you warm.

I like shorts and I like scarves.

When worn seperately.
mornington
dear man on the tube this morning -
saggy-arsed dad jeans* cut off into shorts do not, repeat, do not, belong with braces**. Especially not if they make you look like you're wearing a nappy, which you've just filled. the white socks and deck shoes weren't the greatest choice either.

*the male equivalent to the mom jean
thirtiesgirl
Pics seen in the current Delias teen fashion catalog: rolled up sweats with TOPSIDER loafers. I can't find an actual pic from their online site, but here's a similar look with loafers and skinny pants.

I don't get it. I just don't get it.
mouse
ummmm i have been coveting a pair of topsiders for ages, actually.
Christine Nectarine
QUOTE(thirtiesgirl @ Sep 5 2008, 09:59 PM) *
...TOPSIDER loafers.

are they supposed to be shoes? they look like my house slippers. i've never seen them as shoes before...
Queen Bull
i have a pair of topsiders... i love them, they are so comfy. ha. tho, i suppose im pretty close to delias target age range...

tho i must say, i have never worn them with bunched sweats. nor will i ever. lol. i do have a pair of uggs tho. those, i have worn with bunched sweats, and that i will admit, is a crime. minor, but nonetheless...
thirtiesgirl
It's not the topsiders, per se. It's pairing them with skinny jeans or rolled up sweats. I just don't get the connection.
bee_elissa
We all hate crochet bikini tops when they're worn away from the beach (seriously - it's like a knitted bra - it's not a top) and we all hate flouro (ewwwwwwww who thought that it would be a good idea to bring back the early 90s?) and now I have experienced the ultimate travesty - a flouro yellow crochet bikini top.

Someone combined the two and it was bad. Really bad.
designermedusa
I saw a handbag today that was really cute, then I saw the label, it was Paris Hilton. I thought no way could I buy a bag that has PH written all over it. I picked it up and the quality was shit, but damn it was cute.
bustygirl
Don't worry, I'm sure Paris had absolutely NOTHING to do with the creation of that bag.
hellotampon
still, you don't want to look like you have anything to do with paris hilton either.
konphusion26
Now I'm not a fashionista or anything, and I don't know if anyone here has ever heard of this singing group called Danity Kane. But this my friends, screams hooker couture at it's slutty worst. She should be put out of the group for this. I wouldn't wear this in the comfort of my own home! Nasty! Too bad she's not the only person in the group with bad style. She's by far the trashiest though.
candycane_girl
So, as most of you know, I'm a university student which tends to expose me to a lot of CoFs. But yesterday I was just confused. I saw a girl wearing thong sandals with large beads on the thong part, black leggings that were sort of the same material as tights underneath what appeared to be cut off sweatsuit bottoms. And a yellow hoodie. It did not look good.

Last week I saw a guy who took the dirty hipster look to a whole new level. He had some unlaced high-tops, slightly oversized silver basketball shorts, a dirty white t-shirt with a very deep v-neck, a super thin scarf thing around his neck and of course messy hair and big sunglasses.
candycane_girl
Oh, one other thing. Can someone please explain to me girls who wear skinny jeans and then buckle their gladiator sandals over top of the jeans?! It's not even edgy, it just looks stupid and uncomfortable.
mornington
short, fat girl. loose-fitting, heavy rugby top. with a cropped zip-up hoodie (the kind meant to draw attention to your breasts) over the top. not a good look.
hellotampon
A girl in my class was wearing some plain old boring tee-shirt and jeans, but with heavy knit fingerless winter gloves. ???? It was like 70 today.
i_am_jan
Maybe she comes from a planet where it's really, really, hot like Venus. And she just never got used to the cool temperature here on Earth...particularly in her hands mellow.gif
hellotampon
Oooh I almost forgot about this! Yesterday I saw a girl with yoga pants worn low- really low, so you could see her green athletic shorts (which were thicker than the pants) sticking out the top. It looked like she was channeling this.

Oh and can we make superfluous perfume a crime of fashion? It makes me sneeze/gag/get a headache, and someone in my class was wearing like an entire bottle of cologne yesterday. This is your 9am graphic design class. We sit in a dark room, there is no one to impress and no need to smell like you took a bath in artificial fragrance.
Christine Nectarine
i thought the whole point of yoga pants as fashion was that they make your ass look great. that would seem to defeat the purpose!
i_am_jan
The crime of too much parfum is no minor misdemeanor. The one time I encounter without fail it is on the bike/walking trails in my hood. I'll be walking along my merry way down the trail, taking in all of the wonder, the natural aroma of the fresh summer air, pines, water, wildflowers ... suddenly, here comes (usually) hot chick/dude in expensive athletic gear, sweeping by leaving their nasty/inappropriate in nature/artificial/STANKass overpriced dept. store fragrance to aromatically assault all unsuspecting passersby. And the scent just hangs there in the warm, wet summer air.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.