Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
freckleface7
CoF :
wide black/white striped tube top, way too short acidy-faded mini skirt w/ strings hanging down, black boots of some sort, wavy over-bleached yellow blond hair, TONS of blue-eyeshadow/makeup and a black/white houndstooth print newsboy cap.
at the ice hockey game where it is COLD. and the very worst? she had 2 teen/pre-teen girls w/ her too, equally "tacked up."
that was the very worst part, the impression I'm sure she was making on the 2 innocent (not that they looked it) young girls.
roseviolet
I am a COF today because I'm wearing hand-me-down Mom Jeans. Tapered legs & all. Their only saving grace is there are no pleats. The worst part: these Mom Jeans used to belong to my own mom so they are real Mom Jeans.

I can be forgiven, though, because it's laundry day.
auralpoison
Hey, my laundry day outfit is a heinous black tank dress with a big hole in it, you are more than forgiven.

Okay, so I gotta ask: you said no pleats, RV. But. Is there any elastic involved in the waist?
lilacwine13
I survived the eighties and nineties too and if I wanted to sear any retinas, I'd track down a scanner and post some pictures.

I recently found a picture of me in the sixth grade--around 1990--wearing a white sweatshirt with puff paint, neon teal windbreaker, acid washed jeans and, because I wanted to be unique, a hat covered with glitter, buttons and feathers. The hat didn't match the windbreaker or the shirt and if I remember correctly, I probably paired this with red and white striped tennis shoes.

And to think this was well before I did any sort of drugs...

roseviolet
Nope, no elastic in the waist. So I suppose it could be worse. But there's a little too much fabric between the waistband & the crotch, so despite the lack of pleats, they're kinda blousey in that very special Mom Jean kind of way.
auralpoison
Oooooh! They come with their own fupa! That is a wonderful facet of Mom Jeans. You can be skinny as a stick & have a Mom Jeans induced fupa.
girltrouble
*shudders*
chachaheels
I was a *young adult* in the eighties, with pretensions. I still think my clothes were cool (delusion, yeah!) and I know I had at least two pairs of very hot shoes. But then when the nineties came I took the whole empire waist mini with blundstone boots a bit too far. Also, my hair has always been wrong: comical baby bangs which were always at least two inches shorter after being cut (it's curly! It retracted! why didn't the hair dresser anticipate this?) and coloured blue black against all nature and common sense (in my defense, it went gray too early).

But enough about me.

Last night I was watching a doc program, a series called "Who do you think you are?" in which some well known people in the entertainment industry go back and search out their geneological roots--it's fascinating, really. Chantal Kreviazuk was the featured participant, and I followed along with one nagging thought in my head--she was making this documentary program dressed in a message t-shirt that had been "weathered" to look like it was old; camouflage print cargo pants with great big binder sized side pockets that flapped--and the camo print was in shades of blue; and over everything, a navy blue "heather" acrylic sweater (so she co-ordinated the colours! this was not accidental) with a shawl collar and self belt, which she let hang while she wrapped the sweater around her tightly, as though she were a shivering waif. Also: she changed! And put on Uggs. To go up into the northern areas of Manitoba.

I thought: I love this story, but what the hell is she wearing? and when I voiced it, my husband looked at me and laughed hard. He said I often spend my days off dressed (his words) "like a mental patient". That's not nice--"mental patient" is not a kind way to think about those with emotional diseases.

My argument: it's my day off, I'm not leaving the house for anybody, and I'm comfy in my jammies, riding boots, and beret okay? But this woman not only went out in the world like that, she went out and made a film in that outfit.
zoya
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Mar 8 2009, 09:04 PM) *
And Christ, the grunge era was awful. I'm so glad I avoided cameras because I wore some hideous shit. The layering! Still love flannel & Doc Martens, though.

The beginnings of "grunge" were totally functional, though. The "look" started in the Northwest where that's what people wore because it is cold and you have to layer to stay warm! Plus, at the time, the whole hair band / make up look was in, so going to thrift stores and finding old flannels and thermal tops that were comfy to wear was the total antithesis of the "Poison" look. It was kind of a "no look" look.

....of course, until Nirvana broke and the media made up the name "grunge" and fashion co-opted it, and then you have some kid in Florida wearing ripped jeans with thermals underneath, and layering their flannel tops. To me, that was a crime of fashion, not so much the "grunge" look in locations where it actually made sense. Hell, in the NW and Western States (ie: CO and UT) people still wear stuff that's kinda grunge-ish in the colder months.

Granted I suppose I can say that because I was kickin it with those bands so I came from the 'function' POV, plus they were so fucking poor that all they could afford to do was shop at thrift stores......
culturehandy
Oh I love Doc Martens, but I should have went into more detail, I suppose it was the poser look more than anything.

And I've said it before, I'll say it again, UGGS are FUGGLY. Easily the worse shoes ever. seriously, they look like slippers.

Pleats are horrible!! Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be dragged outside and shot.
bunnyb
CH, Uggs actually ARE slippers!
zoya
... yeah, and whoever told people that uggs look good with skirts should be taken outside and shot.

I have to say that the new uggs that are kinda knitted with buttons aren't quite as bad as the originals, but they're still not wearable with a damn thing.

COF - wearing juicy couture (or juicy couture-like) velour sweat suits out IN PUBLIC. Now, I have me nice midnight blue velour juicy couture sweatpants with matching hoodie that I splurged on last year. (bunnyb can attest to the fact that I look like a complete WAG in it) but I would NEVER wear it out in public to do my shopping, et al. I think it just looks sloppy. When did people start thinking it was ok to walk around in their jammies in public? Of course, you're talking to a girl who, even when she's dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, makes sure it coordinates and puts on make up before walking out the door if she's gonna be in public. Mamma taught me to DRESS.
culturehandy
Bunny, really? $300.00 for a pair of fuckin' slippers? Are you kidding me? Wow...

zoya, you and me both, even when I'm feeling like death, and I have a horrible cold and I have to go out, I'll still put in an ounce of effort. It may not be a full face of makeup, but at least I'll comb my hair.

bunnyb
For those on crackbook: I have a photo of zoya in her WAG-like juicy couture you should check out.

I don't understand the PJs outside thing either - the matching pink patterned knitted ones, tucked into Uggs with oversized knitted cardigan and hat over them... I've seen many a photograph of Paris Hilton, Mischa Barton , Miley Cyrus and the like all dressed like that. Who told them it was good look? I'm all for comfort and loungewear but when you are lounging around the house, not out shopping.

CH, hand on heart - in Australia, Westerners are laughed at because they are wearing slippers on their feet thinking its a fashion statement.
kittenb
QUOTE(lilacwine13 @ Mar 8 2009, 10:44 PM) *
I survived the eighties and nineties too and if I wanted to sear any retinas, I'd track down a scanner and post some pictures.

I recently found a picture of me in the sixth grade--around 1990--wearing a white sweatshirt with puff paint, neon teal windbreaker, acid washed jeans and, because I wanted to be unique, a hat covered with glitter, buttons and feathers. The hat didn't match the windbreaker or the shirt and if I remember correctly, I probably paired this with red and white striped tennis shoes.

And to think this was well before I did any sort of drugs...

If it makes you feel better, you might have caused other people to do drugs. To me, that outfit sounds rad. Like you should have been a character on a TGIF show.

My laundry day outfit always ends up being a skirt w/a totally mismatched teeshirt or sweatshirt. I look, like someone said below, like a mental patient.
culturehandy
Well then, that adds yet another reason to the list of why I will never buy uggs. EVER.

I remember why I came in here initially.

I'm cleaning out the basement and the sheer number of blossom-esque hats I have is horrible. People always bought me hats and I didn't even wear them that often as a child. Blech.
missladyj
first it's raggin on fatties now mental patients?

yea for busties who call em like ya see em. I am so down

In the eighties I had a jeans jacket that I bleached and added rhinestones to. I totally rocked it with my swatch watch and it always smelled like Poison perfume because at the mall I would always douse the jacket with Poison.
lilacwine13
Well kittenb, at the time I thought I looked pretty rad... laugh.gif

I had quite a hat collection back then, I think I watched too much Blossom.
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Mar 8 2009, 12:05 PM) *
Okay so basically what you're saying Thirtiesgirl, is that I discriminated against that woman because of her size? And that I said her cellulite was disgusting?? Thank you for putting words in my mouth hun. If you look back:
How is my opinion of her tacky pants suit and choice of undergarments/shoes discriminatory? Yes I mentioned her cellulite. But I wouldn't have seen it if her bad outfit hadn't made it EASY for all to see. I never said cellulite or fat is disgusting. NEVER. It was never even about her SIZE either. Lots of people are taller and bigger than me. I wasn't singling her out for her size or weight. You just chastised Bunny B for "reading too much" into your comment. Then you turned around and did the exact same thing to my post. My disgust was in the outfit and the ugly shoes to match - not her physical attributes.

I have no problem with the fact that you didn't like the outfit your co-worker was wearing. What I take issue with is your attitude about cellulite, and that fact that it seemed, by the tone of your post, that you find it disgusting. Please explain to me how writing "might I add, lots of ass cellulite, and ugly white shoes. Blechhhh" is not expressing disgust for the woman's cellulite and the fact that you could see it through her pants?

QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Mar 8 2009, 12:05 PM) *
I could care less what size the woman was. I was merely painting a picture of her atrocious style for the day.
This has been blown way out of proportion frankly. If I was making an "anti-fat" sentiment - I'd essentially be speaking against my own fat azz. And personally, I'm not into self hatred. If the chick didn't want to be talked about, she shouldn't have worn that mess and thought it was appropriate for the office or anywhere else for that matter.

You may protest as much as you like, but you're not convincing me. The way you chose to express your feelings in your post suggests anti-fat sentiment to me.

I'm sorry you don't like the fact that I stand up for what I believe in, but I'm a strong advocate for health at any size and fat acceptance. I was hoping, perhaps wrongly, that it would have a place here, on a forum that represents a magazine who's outlook and message I generally respect.

As I've stated before in this thread, I'm all for spirited commentary on things we see people wearing that we don't like. But I won't allow anti-fat sentiment to go without comment. I don't believe it has a place on this forum.

The thing I find most amusing (in a sick, sad way) is that after my initial comment to you, Konphusion, about your post (which was, simply put, "cellulite's ok"), AP preceded to read me the riot act for being "all 'fat acceptance, hooray!' & bully for you for it," and that I'm "coming from a hyper-sensitive fat place," and then accuses *me* of going over the top with my comments. You write that I'm "blowing things out of proportion." I've also been told I'm "fucking bitching about shit," when I have not yet once devolved into name calling or foul language and have tried to keep the debate civil. I would laugh if I wasn't so disappointed about the lack of understanding you and AP have shown.

I really was hoping for better and am disappointed that it's not here. I'm out and may not be back for a while.
Persiflager
Thirtiesgirl, what's your stance on anti-short sentiment?
girltrouble
seriously, thirties, there has got to be a statute of limitations on beating a dead horse.

bunnyb
Here's hoping she is out and not back [for a while]. However, in the event, that she does come back and continues to beat that horse until there's nothing left: THIRTIESGIRL, TAKE IT OUTSIDE. We can ignore you there without the thread being derailed. Although for the record -and castigate me for my opinion, I don't care- cellulite isn't a crime of fashion, it's purely and simply ugly.
crinoline
Seen at a sandwich restaurant, Crinoboy's jaw dropped and he did a double take on this lady-

Early to mid seventies, full figure lady with CRAZY teased out Phyllis Diller hairstyle. I mean, It was a foot out from her head on all sides and slightly spiky. To go with this she had thick black cateye eyeliner with blue opaque shadow, tire-iron blush (from the '80s) , and pink lipstick with dark brown lipliner.
Whyyyyyyy!?!?
freckleface7
QUOTE(crinoline @ Mar 13 2009, 11:14 AM) *
Seen at a sandwich restaurant, Crinoboy's jaw dropped and he did a double take on this lady-

Early to mid seventies, full figure lady with CRAZY teased out Phyllis Diller hairstyle. I mean, It was a foot out from her head on all sides and slightly spiky. To go with this she had thick black cateye eyeliner with blue opaque shadow, tire-iron blush (from the '80s) , and pink lipstick with dark brown lipliner.
Whyyyyyyy!?!?

bc hell ya she CAN.
she's old. she's Proud.
ok so the brown lipliner w/ pink lipstick/blush is a bit too much even for me, but the cateye liner & rockin' hair?
HELLYA! biggrin.gif

but what was she wearing?
girltrouble
thanks, freckle. that's my future you're talking about crino!

i was gonna say i always adore those old ladies who dress like they are still living in another era. infact i'm planning on snapping up some double knit polyester pant suits/jumpers (lime green, bedazzled, thank you very much!) to wear in my old age along with my (currently) ridiculous drawn on eyebrows and cat eye makeup. and, yes, i am going to take over the kereoki circuit doing elvis, tom jones and wayne newton songs.

i expect you to show up to atleast one of my shows so i can get you loaded, too crino. ten years from now, so prepare yourself!
auralpoison
Oh, I can't wait to get crazy old where I start looking like a circus clown just because I can! I wanna be somewhere between 70s Pam Grier & Mrs. Roper!

I've mentioned this lady before, I knew her when I worked at a camera store when I was nineteen. She was like a million year old Jackie O. I doubt she bought any clothes post sixty-four. Hats, gloves, the whole nine yards. She was perfectly rouged & smelled like Chanel N0. 5 powder. It was like she'd been shrink-wrapped. BUT. There was always something a little . . . off. Not quite right. Lipstick on her teeth, weird accessory, hair wonky, whatever. She came in one day in her leopard swing coat & a lavender outfit. Topped with a frilly purple fez . . . that had a HUGE bird claw on it clutching a gigantic faux amethyst. She was so John Waters.

ETA: I moved it elsewhere. Done & done.
ananke
Ah, shut up and take it outside. I'm over hearing about it.

And seriously - uggboots are slippers. My husband is wearing a pair right now because it's storming outside. They aren't shoes, they're slippers.
auralpoison
Um, FUCK YOU, Ananke, it's not like you've been an active part of the dialogue recently or Bust really for that matter, you little lurker. I was well within the rebuttal grace period. You're over it, don't like it, go back to a thread where you actually fucking contribute something once in a while. So suck it.

The vision of a man in Uggs is about a thousand times funnier than a woman wearing them in public. I'm sure Mr. Ananke is perfectly masculine in them, but it just sounds so bad from the sad North American perspective where we misguidedly wear them like actual shoes. Perhaps mens Uggs aren't as heinous as womens?

Nope. They still look geigh. The actual slippers aren't so bad though.
girltrouble
Oh, I can't wait to get crazy old where I start looking like a circus clown just because I can! I wanna be somewhere between 70s Pam Grier & Mrs. Roper!
fuck yeahis, aural. i'm pissed off because i recent date told me that i look like i'm in my mid 20's. motherfucker, i'm f'ing 40! goddamn it, and i'm not gonna wait and extra 15 years to look like a crazy ol' lady cos i look young. fuck it, i'm starting today!

i adore stylish old ladies, even if their style is off or outdated they are the absolute utmost!
grrrlyouwant
i saw this lady at target one time that had to be at least in her late sixties, early seventies. she was dressed perfectly normal in the grandma uniform of slacks and flats with a nice cardigan set, and she had this perfectly white short spiky do that looked so cute on her. but the ends of it? they were hot flaming flamingo pink. i nearly prostrated myself at her feet, all "oh my god, i so want to be as cool as you when i grow up!". she was very gracious about it, said it was her grandkids' idea and she thought it sounded like fun. i just wish the momster had been around so i could be like "see, see? i don't ever have to grow out of it, this lady is totally cute!" i'm with gt and aural, i can't wait til i'm an old lady and can dress as outrageously fabulously as i want. biggrin.gif
missladyj
I was a totally COF today and my excuse was that I woke up a half hour before I was supposed to go teach my deep water aerobics class ( which is full of awesome sassy old ladies) so I grabbed what was clean and some shit off the floor.

I wore black yoga pants with a hole in the left knee from the time I tripped and fell flat on my face walking down the steps to my front porch, beige and purple pumas, a sports bra which gives me monoboob, a t-shirt and a grey new york fire department hoodie sweatshirt. As if that wasn't bad enough I then and proceeded to go shopping after teaching my class with crazy wet pool hair. It was baaaad!!!
curioushair
QUOTE(grrrlyouwant @ Mar 14 2009, 06:51 PM) *
i saw this lady at target one time that had to be at least in her late sixties, early seventies. she was dressed perfectly normal in the grandma uniform of slacks and flats with a nice cardigan set, and she had this perfectly white short spiky do that looked so cute on her. but the ends of it? they were hot flaming flamingo pink. i nearly prostrated myself at her feet, all "oh my god, i so want to be as cool as you when i grow up!". she was very gracious about it, said it was her grandkids' idea and she thought it sounded like fun. i just wish the momster had been around so i could be like "see, see? i don't ever have to grow out of it, this lady is totally cute!" i'm with gt and aural, i can't wait til i'm an old lady and can dress as outrageously fabulously as i want. biggrin.gif

My grandma let me put blue streaks in her hair once, back in the day when you could find those hair color wands that looked like large tubes of mascara. Her hair was pure white at the time, so it gave her sort of a punk rock Cruella-vibe.

Today, sixty-year-old twins, same frizzy perm, drawn on eyebrows, spackled make-up and bedazzled sweaters.

They were kind of awesome, actually.
ananke
The vision of a man in Uggs is about a thousand times funnier than a woman wearing them in public. I'm sure Mr. Ananke is perfectly masculine in them, but it just sounds so bad from the sad North American perspective where we misguidedly wear them like actual shoes. Perhaps mens Uggs aren't as heinous as womens?

Nope. They still look geigh. The actual slippers aren't so bad though.

Uh...he was wearing them as slippers, because it was cold outside. Like I said.
raisingirl
Zoya, I saw those pictures of you in the velour! wink.gif

I was thinking about this horrible trend of wearing one's pajamas/sloppy clothing out in public... do you think it has anything to do with the breakdown between the public and the private? A lot of people don't seem to care about having horribly intimate conversations on their "cellies" out in public (OHMYGOSH... the things I've heard that I didn't want to hear!), so isn't the parading around in flip-flops and sloppy pajamas/sweatsuits an extension of the private being brought out into the public?

I am BY NO MEANS a walking fashion expert, but I am horrified by the seemingly paired actions. The trend has to reverse at some point... right? Not that we'll go back to wearing hats and gloves, but just bring a shred of dignity back, that's all I ask, even if it means wearing pants that have a non-elasticized waistband.
raisingirl
Oh oh! I just remembered what I was going to post about. Right, so yesterday I was out and about driving around town. I drove past a group of people and almost all of them were wearing obnoxiously bright green shirts. I thought to myself, hmm, that's weird, wonder what that's about. A few moments later I drive past EVEN MORE groups of people, again, most of them wearing green shirts, some with green pants. I thought there was a big Celtics game going on. And THEN I drive past an Irish pub with people standing outside and I see some shamrock decorations and ONLY THEN does it hit me why everyone and their dogs are wearing green. There was a parade yesterday, too. St. Paddy's day is so not on my radar. Duh! laugh.gif
auralpoison
I don't get it, either, but I wouldn't be surprised if your theory was correct, Raisin. It's one thing if you're running in to grab a quart of OJ or something at a convenience store or you're coming from the gym, but out to dinner? To a gathering that isn't a slumber party? Put some damned clothes on, people!

Wasn't there an episode of Seinfeld where George says something about wearing sweats in public? Like, to him it was like telling the world that he'd given up.

I admit, my weirdness about this stems from when I was a kid & I had school clothes & play clothes. The first thing I did when I came home was change into my comfies & I still do it to this day.

stargazer
raisingrl, you live near st. patty central! lol you couldn't get more irish than...well...ireland. too funny.

i think i've heard stacy and clinton say that sweats are the "i give up" clothing.

well, most people are perturbed about the sweats, i cannot understand for the life of me the perpetual wearing of flip flops/sandals in winter. i noticed that this trend was mostly with white people, especially white women. so i asked my friend (who is white) what's with the wearing of sandals in obviously cold temperatures. she said it was so they could feel like they were constantly in florida. laugh.gif which would explain the tanning to the point where they are darker than me in december. wink.gif

i will admit my crime of fashion is letting go of clothes i like that don't obviously fit me anymore. a friend had to do an intervention on me when these jeans were so sagging in my butt. i need that.
raisingirl
I know, Star! That's what makes it even more laughable. Wicked embarassing. Yes, it's true: I live in my own universe. I don't even know when Easter is, either, come to think of it.

Do NOT get me started on the fake bakes! One of my teenage students was into that. So orange. My heart bled for her.

I totally remember George saying that. And AP, I'm with you on the outdoor clothes/indoor clothes. Back when I wore suits to work, I was practically taking off the pantyhose in the hallway when I'd come home from work. Couldn't WAIT to get out of those clothes and into house clothes. Now I usually wait until I've closed the door at least.

Hey Star, too bad it's not easy to get a good pair of jeans taken in, you know? tongue.gif
kittenb
The only time I allowed myself to be seen outside the home in sweatpants was when I was recovering from surgery. Everything else was too tight. Double standard - I don't mind men wearing sweatshirts but I won't ever wear them in public. They do make me feel like I've given up, like I might as well just get grey pin curled hair and a sweatshirt w/appliqued kittens and a dickie turtleneck.

I thought St. Pat's Day wasn't even celebrated in Ireland, that it was just American stupidity? I happen to hate St. Pat's Day and I hate the way my town celebrates it. On St. Pat's Day, I was trying to avoid the monstrous crowds by not leaving my school building for lunch. School is located in a big office building w/a food court. 3 places stay open on Saturday. Somehow, people from the crowd knew to come in. I saw a gaggle of college students. The guys all had kilts and sneakers. The girls had a variety of green bustiers and green lacy slips w/boy cut panties underneath. Most had lacy gloves w/shamrocks and lots of green glitter everywhere. It was barely 50 degrees on Saturday. Frostbit nipples does not sound like fun.

I hate that stupid holiday.
crazyoldcatlady
I admit, my weirdness about this stems from when I was a kid & I had school clothes & play clothes. The first thing I did when I came home was change into my comfies & I still do it to this day.

Back when I wore suits to work, I was practically taking off the pantyhose in the hallway when I'd come home from work. Couldn't WAIT to get out of those clothes and into house clothes. Now I usually wait until I've closed the door at least.

yes yes yes! i HATE "real clothes" and immediately strip down the minute i get home and step through the door.

well, most people are perturbed about the sweats, i cannot understand for the life of me the perpetual wearing of flip flops/sandals in winter. i noticed that this trend was mostly with white people, especially white women. so i asked my friend (who is white) what's with the wearing of sandals in obviously cold temperatures

ha! i totally have wool-lined flip flops and have been known to wear them in the snow. much like real clothes, i hate real shoes, hence the proclivity toward bare-minimum shodding
starshine
QUOTE(raisingirl @ Mar 16 2009, 06:03 AM) *
I am BY NO MEANS a walking fashion expert, but I am horrified by the seemingly paired actions. The trend has to reverse at some point... right? Not that we'll go back to wearing hats and gloves, but just bring a shred of dignity back, that's all I ask, even if it means wearing pants that have a non-elasticized waistband.

They say that the tougher the economic times the more conservative people dress, and that the less money people have the better they dress to display their wealth. As times have been extremely prosperous I think that is why we have seen much more casual wear, but as times get harder and more people are fighting for fewer jobs, we will hopefully see less pajamas outside of the house as people try to give the perception that they are more financially well off. That's just a theory though (combined with a little optimism that pjs are left at home)
auralpoison
QUOTE(kittenb @ Mar 16 2009, 04:08 PM) *
I thought St. Pat's Day wasn't even celebrated in Ireland, that it was just American stupidity?

They do celebrate, they usually have a five or so day fest in Dublin. It's not the idiotic, yahoo, green beer, free for all that it is here. It's pretty chill & the parade is nice.

I am guilty of the flipflops in winter. If I'm just hopping in & out of the car, no snow on the ground & in a hurry? I will skip locating matching shoes & clean socks.
sybarite
Paddy's Day is thoroughly celebrated in Ireland and I'm sorry to say Irish celebrations are as drink-fuelled and vomit-covered as those elsewhere in the diaspora/world. However, generally the tourists are the ones wearing the outsized leprechaun hats.
auralpoison
Maybe my family were just sticks in the mud . . . nobody got drunk, nobody got in a fight (Any more than usual.), nobody hurled. We went to mass, did the parade, had dinner, down to the quay to watch fireworks, & then to the pub. I never encountered the weird trappings we have here (Like that hats, green beads, green beer, etc.) & I was happy to not get groped by any frat boys screaming, "Kiss me, I'm Irish!".
purplestain
I have only four fashion rules, and one of them is "no sweatpants in public," but since I go to college in a seaside town, that puts me in the minority. I agree about the public/private thing: add Facebook into that theory and you've got a Sociology dissertation in the making.
missladyj
yoga pants are technically not sweatpants right? whatevs I was in a hurry that is my excuse.
bunnyb
I don't think your outfit sounds that bad, missladyj; I sometimes dress a lot worse and that's without being in a hurry!
missladyj
thanks bunny, the wholes in the knee gave it that extra special touch I think.
lilacwine13
I forgot how many COFs I can spot in Phoenix...

--outside of Whole Foods: college-aged girl, too-tight tube dress the color of oatmeal that did nothing for her
--while driving: woman wearing a denim vest, black leggings and white Ugg-like boots
--lots of bleach blond/fake tanned college girls last night, to the point where the guys I was with were complaining about how they all looked alike
--one guy at one of the bars: dark, dressy, button-down shirt...with beat-up cargo shorts (these will go out of style, right?) and flip-flops
--and my favorite, at the same bar last night: college-aged girl, very short, black overall jumper, white ribbed tank top underneath and white chunky heels. I could not stop staring.
amazonprincess
Ok, I've got one. Girl in her early teens wearing short fraying cutoff denim shorts with shiny gold leggings and turquoise converse. I think her top was a black t-shirt type thing that was off the shoulder and with a gold tank top strap (or maybe it was a gold unitard) showing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.