Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
missladyj
dude in a brown blazer with a pink button down shirt. Scroll down to light blue jeans with tears in both knees on almost all the way down to his ankle . and he was wearing flip flops!!! seriously it was a total scroll down fug.
crazyoldcatlady
seriously it was a total scroll down fug.

laugh.gif
i'm totally stealing that

missladyj
use it all you want COCL, I got it from gofugyourself.com

anyone gettin in on the march madness there? it is a delight!
hellotampon
I totally do the play clothes thing too. My boyfriend gets in the shower and gets dressed as soon as he gets up in the morning. I shower and get back into pajamas until 5 minutes before i have to leave, and then I'm usually putting on scrubs for work, which are like more pajamas. When I actually have to wear real clothes somewhere, as soon as I get home it's on the with flannel pants, off with the bra, the bangs get clipped back (looks really ugly), etc.
bunnyb
missladyj, march madness has been great fun! I love gofugyourself.
lananans
I've been following/voting in the march madness! I think Swinton will take it.
missladyj
I am so on team SWINTON!! glad you are enjoying the fugmarch madness!
Christine Nectarine
COF – 20-something girl on the subway last week: oversized heavy-knit zip-up sweater, beige with some sort of brown animals on it, shiny turquoise leggings, beat up moccasin slippers. I’m hoping she wore the leggings clubbing the night before, woke up groggy so forgot to remove the slippers, and borrowed a friends sweater for warmth on the way home. Somehow though, I’m guessing it was all a carefully selected ensemble.
zizola
yikes, lilac. I live in Phoenix; which bar was that? Sounds more like something you'd find in Tempe or Scottsdale.

QUOTE(lilacwine13 @ Mar 22 2009, 02:41 PM) *
I forgot how many COFs I can spot in Phoenix...

--outside of Whole Foods: college-aged girl, too-tight tube dress the color of oatmeal that did nothing for her
--while driving: woman wearing a denim vest, black leggings and white Ugg-like boots
--lots of bleach blond/fake tanned college girls last night, to the point where the guys I was with were complaining about how they all looked alike
--one guy at one of the bars: dark, dressy, button-down shirt...with beat-up cargo shorts (these will go out of style, right?) and flip-flops
--and my favorite, at the same bar last night: college-aged girl, very short, black overall jumper, white ribbed tank top underneath and white chunky heels. I could not stop staring.

crinoline
Christine Nectarine -lmao! If only she had the excuse...
raisingirl
Um, I heard that ACID WASH JEANS are making a comeback, despite them never being in fashion (in my circles) in the first place. Pass the eye bleach.
chachaheels
I am one of those people who believes SWINTON can do no wrong, no matter how insane her outfits are.
I have to admit, though, that sometimes she pushes that envelope.
(I'm surprised she hasn't invited the FugGirls over to meet with her in Britain for a shopping/atelier spree, so they could write up a whole "One Day with SWINTON" special--or, just a whole new blog, for that matter).
kittenb
I have a hard time understandin how GFY's March Madness works, I am embarressed to say. I think it has something to do with my total lack of understanding about how basketball works.

So, I recently went on an Old Navy shopping spree with mixed results. I got 3 great capri's, two tee-shirts, two sweaters and a pair of jeans. I tried on the jeans but when I wore them for a day they seemed huge on me, as in, almost fell off of me when I was running for the bus. So I went back and exchanged them for a smaller suze that I did not try on. On that trip I picked up a great skirt as well. The small jeans were so tight I could barely get my leg in them. So I had to go back and return them. I exchanged them for a pretty blue smummer dress that I did not try on. rolleyes.gif The dress fits me like a tube or a sack. There is no shape to it. So I bought a belt. The belt looks ridiculous. At this point, I am too embarressed to return the damn dress so I now have a $26 house dress and a nice new belt. I think I might be able to wear the dress out w/some creative scarf tying but I have been clearly reminded to try on everything!
missladyj
cha cha that is a GENIUS idea!!

kitten, that'll learn ya! I wonder if they will have a dressing room at the clothing swap? hmmm? can't wait!
lananans
QUOTE(chachaheels @ Mar 26 2009, 10:35 AM) *
I am one of those people who believes SWINTON can do no wrong, no matter how insane her outfits are.
I have to admit, though, that sometimes she pushes that envelope.
(I'm surprised she hasn't invited the FugGirls over to meet with her in Britain for a shopping/atelier spree, so they could write up a whole "One Day with SWINTON" special--or, just a whole new blog, for that matter).

I feel like Swinton would provide enough material for an entire blog about her -- she keeps a younger lover on the side, her husband is aware of the arrangement, and apparently lets it fly. I think he might be much older??? Who knows... but she's quite the character for sure.

QUOTE(kittenb @ Mar 26 2009, 10:48 AM) *
So, I recently went on an Old Navy shopping spree with mixed results. I got 3 great capri's, two tee-shirts, two sweaters and a pair of jeans. I tried on the jeans but when I wore them for a day they seemed huge on me, as in, almost fell off of me when I was running for the bus. So I went back and exchanged them for a smaller suze that I did not try on. On that trip I picked up a great skirt as well. The small jeans were so tight I could barely get my leg in them. So I had to go back and return them. [/b]

I used to work at Old Navy - and I refuse to wear their jeans. They are so ill-fitting it is ridiculous. Always gapping in the back, or too tight in all the wrong places. And I found it very confusing, because they seem to pride themselves on their quality denim - we were taught all about it. I like their other clothes - every summer I stock up on their tank tops and flip flops, and a couple dresses.

As for a Crime of Fashion around here -- yesterday I saw a woman walking down the street in work garb - winter wool coat, dark dress, dark tights -- AND WHITE SNEAKERS! I'm sure she had her fancy work footwear in her bag. But oh honey, no.
chachaheels
lananans, that's what keeps me admiring La Swinton--the whole "older husband younger lover" arrangement. I want that, I want that, I want that, god. If dressing the way she does is part and parcel of that arrangement, someone should extrapolate on exactly how that could be confused as "Fug".

The truth is, though, that Tilda looks a lot like David Bowie did when I was twelve years old and completely awestruck by his red bobbed hair and his dual coloured eyes and music like Golden Years and Young Americans. I remember watching him on The Dinah Shore Show (no one here knows who that is, I'm sure) when he made an appearance to promote the film The Man Who Fell To Earth, and the very genteel and gracious Dinah asked him who would be his "ideal" woman. He answered: "Someone who looks just like me, but female", because he was part young cocky asshole and part truth-telling fool.

Tilda Swinton is exactly that "someone". Only a lot taller. And she's definitely got his fashion sense, too.
lananans
She does kind of look like the older woman version of a young David Bowie!

PS -- She almost got taken out by Katy Perry - Just made it through!

flanker_ji
I think it's gonna be SWINTON all the way. "CELEBRATE ME, BRAD!"

In line for coffee today, there was a woman wearing a tapestry-shoulder jacket, fringe and all. The tapestry came down in a point at mid back and was detached from the rest of the jacket, so it really did look like she was accesorizing with something from her house. The rest of the jacket was a solid color, to highlight this fine piece of work up top, I guess. Ugh.
freckleface7
the mass amount of of over-shown boobage at the hockey game last night left the mr & I pretty floored.
1st: it's ice hockey. hello- c o l d ?
2nd: it's a family event; I'm sure a good # of nursing babies thought they'd wandered into the Promised Land.

the worst offense was a young woman in a v-kneck w/ both fake boobs & sporting a totally unneccesary push up bra. her boobs were So fake, they looked as tho they'd been put in the wrong place & were painful to look at.
she left early & we hypothosised that she had to get to her "other job."
finally, I had to remind the mr that hey- I have boobs too- and to to stop staring. dry.gif

also: flipflops worn at an ice-rink.
I know this is nc & all but really??

( I am still icked out by flip flops worn by most men anyway, but when it's occassion-inappropriate it's that much worse.)
girltrouble
heh... have i got flip flops for you, freck:

today i saw a woman, and i was so distracted by her footwear i have no clue what else she might have been wearing, here is why: the most egregious use of the sock/sandals combo ever devised-- think light forest green green knee high socks, cut off at the ball of the foot, so her pedicure is bared, red toe nails, and bright pink and blue flip flops.

out of panic, i grabbed to packets of catsup from the nearest jack in the box, and smeared them on my naked eyes to soothe the pain and scarring from the pure idiocy of her clothing.
stargazer
Why do people (designers) think 80s fashion is a great comeback? Since i've scrolled this thread, I've read about acid wash jeans, neon tights/socks, ripped jeans, etc sported on COF victims. i mean, it is terrible enough that the black leggings and oversized sweater/shirt and belt combo came back.

Please make it stop. I feel we are one step away from all getting perms again. unsure.gif
missladyj
I saw a man in TAPERED JEANS. He was basically wearing Mom Jeans. And if that wasn't horrifying enough he was also wearing crocs. ( I almost typed crotch which would have been funny and less disturbing than a man in mom jeans and crocs) Ugghhh!!!
kittenb
Confession - I happen to love leggings w/oversized sweaters and I have been trying to decide if I can make that look work for me.
roseviolet
Mom jeans AND Crocs? On a guy?! Sweet jesus, that's insane.

The '80s silhouettes scare me. The slouchy bagginess & the pleating are not flattering on my hourglass figure. I like that there's more color out there, though. According to Color Me Beautiful ( remember that book? ), I'm a Winter so the jewel tones on the market now are great for me.
lananans
Today a man came into my store wearing jeans, smelling of cigarette smoke (not a COF, but still..) and wearing a black T-shirt that had HOLES IN THE STOMACH AREA. And he was VERY FAT! It was disgusting.

PS- for those of you following Fug Madness - SWINTON is in the finals -- Monday --- Vote early, vote often!
missladyj
I was hoping for a Solange vs SWINTON show down. O Day doesn't stand a chance !
lananans
I dunno -- O Day took out Solange pretty decisively. That girl is pretty fug. But I think it'll be SWINTON, all the way.
missladyj
VOTE SWINTON

she needs your help as she trails ODAY 46% to 53% . this cannot stand, SWINTON must be crowned the QUEEN OF ALL FUG. her fug is a classy fug unlike miss oday. who is more ass than class.
lananans
SWINTON was taken down by Aubrey O'Day. Tragic. It was a good run.
janeinane
It was the mustard colored gown that made me think, verbatim, I can't vote for SWINTON. She's beautiful. I love her.

It was the news of the 29 y.o. lover that made me realize I want to be SWINTON when I grow up. 'Course I'm only seven years younger than her, apparently, so I'd better hurry up! wink.gif
missladyj
sadness
kittenb
Let's hear it for unashamedly being a crime of fashion. Today I am running a few errands, close to my house, in a red tee-shirt, pj pants w/scube diving sock monkeys, and a Japanese fesitval jacket that I found in a thrift shop in 1989. Stacey & Clinton would have me executed.
girl_logic
I have an announcement! If you're going to wear an acid wash denim jacket with matching acid wash denim jeans, please do it in 1985. If you're doing it last Friday it's just ghastly.
culturehandy
Denim and denim is never a good combination. Ever.
girl_logic
How right you are Culturehandy.
candycane_girl
My boyfriend wears denim and denim. I don't know if I should say anything.
llamas
Dude yesterday at Easton obviously thought it was 1985 as well: curly mullet, aviator glasses, and a denim shirt with the sleeves cut off and the armholes frayed. With deer airbrushed on the back of said shirt.
Christine Nectarine
QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Apr 26 2009, 06:22 PM) *
My boyfriend wears denim and denim. I don't know if I should say anything.

next time you're looking for a gift, make it a (non-denim) jacket!
candycane_girl
I saw a Lady Gaga clone on the streetcar today! She had the long bleached blonde hair, huge sunglasses, black booty shorts over top white fishnet stockings, and black leg warmers what were pulled down over her stiletto shoes. It was weird. I really hope this look doesn't catch on.
girltrouble
hilarious. i love how she wears her same stupid outfits on the street. what an idiot.

she really needs to realize there is an off stage where you can dress normally. the paparazzi will still take her picture, and people won't think she's are a lunatic, and her career might just last longer than 15 minutes.
crazyoldcatlady
so, i just saw a commercial that started off as "tired of the same old look this summer?" and showed some girl in a dumpy looking outfit.

turns out that THAT outfit wasn't the "tired same old look", it was, among others, the new merchandise they were peddling.

so of course, i had to find the website. these were the outfits.

(editor's note: outfits under $50??? i wouldn't pay 10! )
auralpoison
OMG! How did they know?! I'm all about looking frumpy for summer!
pollystyrene
So, LeBoy and I went to a tie-dye & blue jeans themed wedding tonight- the bride & groom are big Grateful Dead fans and they got married several years ago in a civil ceremony, but never had a reception or anything. They found a church they like, so they had a ceremony there and then a reception. Most people wore the standard t-shirt and jeans, but there was one fashion disaster in particular.....

The faces have been blurred to protect the innocent...

Now, if I ever have legs that good, let alone at this woman's age (I'd guess she was in her mid-60's to early-70's), I'd flaunt them too, but not in a skirt that hardly hides my ass and high-heeled snakeskin mules. And support hose. Dear lord, can you say "age INappropriate"? I don't think you can tell from that picture that it's actually a skort, not a skirt. And the angle makes it look longer than it actually was.

And the site of her dancing.....it was like Elaine from Seinfeld. I got some video on our camera, but I have to have LeBoy clean it up a little before I put it on YouTube.
girltrouble
i saw Hipster Douche Baby's dad today. he had ear plugs (you know, the stretched out earlobe kind), messy hair, a headband, and faux gucci eyeglasses with a great big gold "G" on each side.

what he was wearing below the neck, i haven't the foggiest. i was so traumatized by the view from the neck up, i fainted, hitting my head on the counter.

polly, my condolences. that's just deadly. hose+snakeskin mules?!
futura
The look that Hipster dad sports sounds awful, Girltrouble. I don't understand the whole 'ironic' thing. Well, i do, but i don't see the point in looking all fugly in the name of irony.

Omg, Polly, that wedding sounds...i have no speech.

Yesterday i was at a party and my friend was talking to this guy....he wore a jacket..it wasn't exactly a jacket, but some kind of weird mix between a pin-striped suit (jacket only) and a hoodie. A pin-striped hoodie, but with the fit of a formal jacket. It was mesmerizing..and soo wrong. I can't believe no one commented on it. I just moved to this town, so i'm relatively new, but the fashion crimes people commit over here....the mind boggles.
stargazer
Polly, I remember on WNTW a sign in the intro that says miniskirts should not be worn over the age of 35.

GT, hipster douchebaby's daddy is one hot mess.

Living in the 'burbs here, I am constantly presented with CoFs here. Since I went to see T4, I was presented with alot of bad CoFs by men. I'm particularly trouble with the belief that I can wear a size 32 waist jean even though my 42 gut says differently look. Just sad.
girltrouble
i'm a firm believer in the phrase, "ironic ugly isn't cute. it's just ugly. and that, that is ironic."

somehow hipster ugly is just so much worse. i think it's because they work at it. if someone doesn't know any better, that's one thing, but if they put effort into it like HDBD? i just don't see the point. punk was an aesthetic rebellion, hipster ugly is just trying to be cute.
angie_21
The whole ironic ugly thing drives me so crazy! The big glasses, the trailer-trash grey leggings, the greasy tangled hair and the baggy t-shirts. WTF? I'm starting to feel like I'm the ugly one just because I want to wear clothes that aren't paper thin and are actually fitted to my body! and because sometimes I like my clothes to actually match? It's like the thing to do these days is reach blindly into your closet, pull out any 3 or 4 random shirts, ripped lace tights and short shorts, and wear all of them all at once with giant boots and heaps of plastic jewelery. Maybe it's just all the kids in this backwards city who haven't really got the fashion down, I don't know.

Ususally I suspect they don't even know how ugly they look, they just think it's cool because they were never around in the 80's. We assume they must be trying to be ironic because we can't think of anyreason anyone would wear this stuff a second time round!
stargazer
I think the thing with the hipster ugly dress, like HDBD, is that this style has gone from one of self-expression to desperate need for attention. No matter what style of dress you wear (hipster, yuppie) desperation is a terrible smell on your clothes. I can smell that shit a mile away.
culturehandy
I saw three women who were hipster cool in front of me yesterday.

All wearing tights, cowboy boots and some ratty old sweater (which probaly costs gobs of money) and over the top sun glasses (when it was raining out) and plastic bracelets. It was fugly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.