Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
pepper
there's a thread just for shoes chica bellas. i'd be shocked silly if you can't find a link to something that you absolutely love in there.
pherber
Oh, I'll check that out!
I just consider the current shoe trend to be a CoF, that's why I had to rant here...
doodlebug
On Friday morning I saw a guy in purple Hammer pants, walking down the street.
prettynpink

Quick sukouyant! Wish for Bush to get impeached!! If it worked on the hammer pants, it HAS to work on him...
edna
There are a lot of long, tunic sorts of tops right now (the just below the ass length like the dress lowredmoon described) which I thought were perhaps meant to be worn with skinny jeans or leggings or whatever, but I keep seeing girls wearing them as dresses. and not looking so great.

I just succumbed to a fashion trend and bought some skinny jeans. I am terrified of looking like a COF in them, so I'm just wearing them around the apartment. I recently saw Cat Power in concert, and she was wearing some, but kept saying, "don't believe the label on the skinny jeans; they call 'em skinny, but they make you look fat." Of course, she looked great and not fat in hers. Hrmph.
bunnyb
I agree: those dresses should be worn with jeans or leggings. If you really must show your legs then team it with a denim skirt or something but your ass on show makes a pretty dress look fugly.
pherber
It's one of those trends, started by the anorexic glitterati.

Funny how in the 60s not even the heroin addled rock star girlfriends wore their tunics like that.
sybarite
Agreeing on tunics-should-not-be-worn-as-dresses. I do like proper sweater dresses though, as long as they are long enough to be worn on their own. Does no-one teach people that you should practice sitting down when trying on a short dress?

I have a pair of skinny jeans too. I'm short-ish; those wide-legged things look wrong on me.

So uni has re-opened, admitting through its doors this year's crop of women with tans and straightened hair, with the 2006 addition of randomly worn leggings under aforementioned tunics or flippy skirts. I have more of a problem with the hair and fake tan than the clothes, tbh.
wombat
*Ack!!* to the Barbie look.
Fake tan, fake nails, or "french manicure" which LOOKS like fake nails, straightened and usually dyed-blonde hair (which is not as subtly done as they think it is) -- and the attitude that anyone who doesn't look like that is ugly.

And the grey/silver/white ROOTS showing makes me think someone is a slob or just literally insane. I see a lot of women just walking down the street with it, dressed up, thinking it doesn't matter - but it's a lot worse than just dark roots in blonde hair.

and, not being ageist, cause my own hair went gray at 28 -- it's just -- the horror of having really bright roots and also showing what you're trying to cover up that gives the *insane* willies. Like, wait, you spend a ton of time and effort not to show your gray hair, but you don't look in the mirror and just comb it or pin it differently when it's time for the hairdresser and you're going to go out in public? gads.
pollystyrene
I got a new cell phone this week, one with a camera, and yesterday, I tried to take a picture of a COF, but I forgot that I have to "save" it, it doesn't do it automatically. This woman was about 40 or so, white trash bleach blond hair, decent body, but wearing these short-shorts, white with a red floral pattern and a matching halter top with lots of midriff exposed, and cheap red mule shoes with it. It was bad. She was attached to the arm of a sleazy looking guy, which made it worse.
misspissed
And the grey/silver/white ROOTS showing makes me think someone is a slob or just literally insane. I see a lot of women just walking down the street with it, dressed up, thinking it doesn't matter - but it's a lot worse than just dark roots in blonde hair

i wonder if that has anything to do with women trying to grow out their hair all white? if that's the case, it will look fugly for months until all the dye has grown out/been cut out.

agreeing that the attack of the jessica simpson clones are pretty much the worst fashion crime out there.

so, would this be the proper place to post a crime of home decor fashion? because i am gonna.
i live in a very ethnic neighborhood, and the people tend to be devout catholics. a lot of the houses round here have these white "lace" curtains up in the front windows, which while not my style, are pretty benign.

there is one house, though, which has this full collection of religious curtains -- including "praying hands and rosaries", with the showstopping "pope Benedict" style.

oh my.
pherber
QUOTE(wombat @ Sep 18 2006, 02:58 PM) *

-- and the attitude that anyone who doesn't look like that is ugly.

I really love that sentence! cool.gif
Always tried to find words for that annoying affectation they always display.

misspissed, I think when it comes to homedecor, you'll probably never going to get two people to agree on something. I mean what's gross to someone might be "tres kitsch" and "oh so camp!" to someone else...

pepper
really pherber? how about the lawn mary? in prayer, enclosed in a plexi glass fronted vaulted cubby? how about the gaudy corinthian pillars avec plaster lions in mid growly leap? hmm? or the fancy pebble labyrinth "lawn" with fountain center? can we all agree that that is all just hideous? i think we can.

i bleach my eyeballs now at the painful memories...
misspissed
I mean what's gross to someone might be "tres kitsch" and "oh so camp!" to someone else...

hmmm..considering that said curtains are in little old church ladies' homes, and not some hipster's place in brooklyn, i think they are meant as a serious statement.
where does one even GET religious themed curtains?

how about the lawn mary? in prayer, enclosed in a plexi glass fronted vaulted cubby?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! the horrid memories.

my neighbor around the block has the best lawn ornament ever:
A LAWN PIG. with a monkey riding it.
even better? they dress it up according to whatever holiday is coming around.
lady_ell
Seen in Boston this weekend, on the arm of a man in stupid hot topic bondage pants and armbands and goth platform boots...

gray tweedy formal short shorts that did that balloony thing (i.e. looked the rubber pants we wore over cloth diapers as babies)
gray heathered leggings, not in same shade as formal shorts
tiny shrug/bolero thingy that laced up the back
gross henley T-shirt thing with long sleeves

Also - college kids are back, and so are the gauchos.
WHEN WILL IT END?
bunnyb
So, I indulged in a CoF yesterday... I bought leggings. Oh yes I did. Black ones. I have resisted for so long and vowed I wouldn't but I also bought a huge cowl neck grey jumper which will look good over them. The leggings look okay on and teaming them with flat black shoes. I own footless tights too but haven't worn those yet.
pherber
QUOTE(pepper @ Sep 19 2006, 04:23 AM) *

really pherber? how about the lawn mary? in prayer, enclosed in a plexi glass fronted vaulted cubby? how about the gaudy corinthian pillars avec plaster lions in mid growly leap? hmm? or the fancy pebble labyrinth "lawn" with fountain center? can we all agree that that is all just hideous? i think we can.

i bleach my eyeballs now at the painful memories...

ohmy.gif I swear I have never seen such things...
Maybe because I'm European, sounds hideous, though. laugh.gif

QUOTE(misspissed @ Sep 19 2006, 05:36 AM) *

hmmm..considering that said curtains are in little old church ladies' homes, and not some hipster's place in brooklyn, i think they are meant as a serious statement.
where does one even GET religious themed curtains?

I didn't doubt, that she meant it as a serious statement.
It's just still the same object, no matter, how it's meant....
(hope that made sense)
wombat
Hi, lady -ell! Good to see more Bostonians on Bust!

I kind of like tacky lawn ornaments. My family and my town was so consciously trying to be "classy" that they just didn't DARE. This was the kind of place where neighbors would mutter to each other if you didn't rake the leaves or mow the lawn fast enough for their taste.

Boston has a large working-class family population from catholic nations: Ireland, Italy, Sicily, and Latin America. I like the Mary's and the other silly things -- "fancy" stone walls with "lanterns" and the like. Putting grape vine lattices over your driveway -- look, a carport and wine too! and the Christmas decorations are so over-the-top that they're legendary.
bunnyb
I like gnomes and OTT o/s Christmas decorations (although not when put up in November).
misspissed
i know this is totally OT, but i never understood the virgin mary on the lawn thing.
while my parents are off the boat italian, they always refrained from public displays of religion like that.

there's this house the town over, that is COVERED with statuary. i mean, imagine a regular house in the suburbs, the neighbors are 10 feet away, and statues everywhere -- over the lawn, on the porch, not to mention the HUGE (church size) crucifix affixed to the front of the place. i have no idea how that thing stays on.

i need to take a picture of this place and post it!

/ot sidetracking...back to fashion.
herculesgirl
Are the lawn Marys an Eastern US thing, specifically East Coast...?

I recall seeing them years ago when I was a kid in Norfolk, VA, then we moved to AL and not a Mary to be seen (not a very Catholic state). Surprisingly, things were similar in TX and CA (although one of my neighbors out here had a creepy fetus flag for awhile)...
wombat
Fetus flag!! laugh.gif
misspissed
a fetus flag? wow.

yeah, i guess lawn mary is an east coast thing.
or a catholic thing, i dunno.
lilacwine13
I think lawn marys are a Catholic thing, since I can't recall seeing anything like that on a lawn owned by a noncatholic. I've seen several here in the Southwest and a couple in the Midwest, so I don't think they are only on the East Coast.

However, I'd take that over a fetus flag any day.
lowredmoon
in the west village last night, from the bottom up:

silver stiletto sandals
black fishnet tights--large-holed weave
black "peasant" skirt with silver mirrors (?) sequins (?) on every flounce.
a black off-shoulder short-sleeved sweater.
a blonde bobbed wig.

i'm fairly sure she was a drag queen--i only saw her from the back, but there were some fairly broad shoulders and no hips involved. and some scary wrinkled elbows that make me think she wasn't as young as the rest of her implied...honestly, i'm HOPING she was a drag queen, because NO ONE else should be allowed that sort of outfit. i was also very impressed by her ability to walk in those heels over a brick walkway.

herculesgirl
Fetus flag description: it was about the size of a standard flying-from-the-front-porch American flag, had a white background, with a weird cartoonish drawing of an upside-down, smiling, Caucasian fetus in a womb outlined in red and blue, and the words "Choose Life!" in red at the bottom. Now I'm all for expressing religious and/or political beliefs and had no problem with the flag, it's just that the fetus was CREEPY.

They took it down about 6 months ago or so.
lady_ell
Yeah, it's a Catholic thing. My dad calls them "Mary in a Bathtub." My great-grandmother had a BV (Blessed Virgin, abbreviated as such) in a bathtub on her lawn, as did all of her 13 brothers and sisters. I've got a soft spot for them and could conceivably put one on my lawn at some point. I'm not even Catholic, but hey, New Hampshire Episcopal is basically some extremely liberal Catholicism so I think it'd be OK and not totally fucked up. Mary in a bathtub with a rainbow flag background, or something like that. It's a plan.

Back to COF's:

rollerbladers bug the shit out of me. I guess that's a lifestyle CoF.

I'm actually feeling remarkably cheery and un-bitchy today, so I'm letting a lot of things slide.
bunnyb
I'm Catholic but I'm not sure where you would have to go to buy that stuff. In parts of Ireland they even have the statues along roadsides.
pepper
oh, i totally forgot about rollerbladers! ha ha ha! ah, the joys of living in a very hilly mountain town. rollerblader free!

i have a friend who used to (maybe he still does, anyone here from T.O.?) rollerblade around town in the summer in nothing but his fuzzy little pink g-string. ok, sometimes he'd wear a cowboy hat and/or his camelback.
man, good thing he was so buff and cute, but still, how does Anyone pull that kind of thing off? and, sure, he was straight....
lucizoe
to continue the bathtub mary ot-ness - There was a house in my hometown that had both a bathtub mary and an enormous great dane (as great danes are wont to be)...I drove past once and the dog was pointing (ears pricked, front paw lifted off the ground, tail straight up) at the statue

well, I thought it was funny anyway

I'm ready for big honking leather belts to be gone. It's like everyone is wearing back bracers on the outside of their clothes.
dusty
Heh, Pepper, oh NOW you tell us he's straight...I've never seen him but my friend has, I can't tell you if he still does that.
crinoline
lucizoe- I actually enjoy the belts, because I feel like they are bringing us closer to the natural female form. (but then again-I really, really enjoy 1950s tight belted sweater-skirt combo)
For so long it's [fashion] been all sacks on a stick, I'm ready for some curves to be thrown in.

COT of the day- I don't know if I've posted this before, because this is the second time I've seen it, but:

Cute Brunette sorority girl, voluptuous (I mean all over, not just boobs)
She wore flip flops, sorority shirt, and...now this is the bad part...
Okay, so ya'll know those little plaid patchwork mini skirts and shorts that Old Navy barfed all over the place?
This was made of that fabric, except it was BALLOONED! Which can be totally cute in a non-bulky, non-QUILTED fabric (also, non-plaid)

But the worst part about this hellish garment was the length, it was as though the skirt had an identity crises. It was too long for a mini, even a mid-thigh mini, but also way too short to be a knee length or calf length skirt.

The hem hovered uncertainly in a terribly unflattering no-mans-land of thigh flesh.

I think this upset me mostly because she could have looked so NICE in something else. it baffles me.
curioushair
Cropped, flared pants, argyle socks pulled up to the knees, and Chuck Taylors that have probably seen too many mosh pits in the early nineties. That was enough for me, I can't even remember what was on top. I think it was a gray hoodie.

Oh, female. Early thirties.
maimy
Crinoline - oh, HEE!

I loathe the balloon skirts. This year's version looks like the skin thrown away after an eye tuck - indeterminate blah earth tones, thin and crinkly textiles that resemble sagging, crepey thin skin, bad deflated-looking hem lengths every time, and always always paired with vastly overpriced/terribly cheap looking wan sweaters and way-too-long-pointy shoes.

(I thought we'd done with way-too-long-pointy shoes three years ago ... ?)

They were ugly as bubbles with some shape, shorter, back in the 80s. They are uglier still now, and actually show literal signs of aging. Ew.

And will someone please sing the "Oh, SKINNY PANTS ARE BACK IN AGAIN" song with me - harmonizing on the irony of pretending skinny has EVER been out in the past 135 years?? Ugh. I actually saw a magazine cover today - "And yes, YOU CAN wear them!"

No. No, I can't. And what's more, I prefer not to feel vilified for that. Thank you.

Ass. Holes. I hate fashion sometimes.

(Hah - and off I go to watch "America's Next Top Model" ...)
pepper
ppfft maimy, eye tuck skin. funny And gross.

dusty, i Know that he's straight *wink wink nudge nudge*. he was that kind of friend. yummy. but such a CoF in that non-outfit, gah!
pherber
QUOTE(curioushair @ Sep 20 2006, 10:01 PM) *

Cropped, flared pants, argyle socks pulled up to the knees, and Chuck Taylors that have probably seen too many mosh pits in the early nineties. That was enough for me, I can't even remember what was on top. I think it was a gray hoodie.

Oh, female. Early thirties.

Shit, that might've been me! laugh.gif

edna
on a mid-twenties, otherwise very average-seeming girl shopping at Fred Meyers: green over-sized extra-long top made of sweatshirt material...came down to mid-thigh, had a ten or twelve inch ribbed band around the bottom, and dolman/batwing type sleeves. Worn with sheer black footless tights, no pants, and Tevas. Ugh. ly.

Once again, it was a top meant to be worn with real (i.e. not sheer) leggings or skinny pants being worn as a dress. And tevas. Christ. Tevas.
bustygirl
Um, I like skinny black pants. And way-too-pointy shoes.

Also, I think worn out chucks and argyle socks sound peachy. I guess I'm a CoF today.

But I will never, ever, ever like Tevas. They're like sweatpants for the feet. They shouldn't be worn out of the house. Or in it, for that matter.
pepper
sweatpants for the feet!! ah, that's brill.

does that make a toque sweatpants for the head? hmm, i guess it does.
lilacwine13
Tevas are meant to be worn for hiking, camping, those sorts of activities, none of which I can imagine doing in a batwing tunic and leggings.

Of course, if you're camping or hiking, fashion rules really don't apply. Some of the clothes I wear while camping (and yes, that does include Chacos, which aren't much better-looking than Tevas) would burn most people's retinas. However, comfort and warmth trump looking good when you're in the middle of the woods, IMO.
wombat
I like skinny black pants too! I have size 14 GAP Audrey hepburn skinny pants.

I usually think GAP is Satan, but I couldn't find black cotton pants with a real waist and decent pockets anywhere else. I heart them. I got the last two size 14s they had.

Hey, if they want to NAME my size 14 pants "skinny pants" it's okay by me rolleyes.gif
maimy
POINTY shoes, I like. Way-too-LONG-pointy shoes, no. Unflattering to the foot, painful, generally shaped in such a way as to accentuate the toe-lumps pressing against the tortured interior of the uppers - and popular for about five minutes, starting five years ago. I'm not talking about classic kitten pumps. I'm talking about needle-nosed, duckbilled-platypus, LONG pointy shoes. Ugly.

And generally rendered in lime green, orange, or - inexplicably, given the two previous colors - taupe.

Not attractive on anyone.

As to "skinny pants" - my point was not so much about the garment, as the pretense accompanying them, that "skinny" is "BACK" ... as if to suggest for a moment that the disgusting shape of a woman has ever been in style, since the morons pushing "skinny" have been in power.

It's like republicans and SUVs. There's no waiting them out. They just keep coming back, long after the fad should've worn off, or the political pendulum swung.
curioushair
Skinny pants aren't so bad as long as they're straight all the way down to the ankles with no tapering. That cut is flattering to no one larger than a size zero.

COF O' the Day: Twenty-something in tight, tight (not skinny-cut-- just spandex) jeans whose stone-washing resembled a visible panty line.
amilita
God, I think Tevas are ugly, too, but I love frolicking in rivers, and my Adidias slides (which I love) just fall off and wet tennies give me fungus-foot and I hate swim shoes more than Tevas. So I'm gonna buy some, as soon as I can find 'em cheap.

I saw a lady walking down the street wearing a tight hot pink shirt tucked into jean cutoff shorts which were not buttoned and only zippered about halfway up! All the better for her belly to jiggle around freely, my sweet!

And I don't know where else to post that I saw a sign for a shoe store called SHOE FUNK. Ha.
yuefie
QUOTE(lilacwine13 @ Sep 22 2006, 01:49 PM) *
Tevas are meant to be worn for hiking, camping, those sorts of activities, none of which I can imagine doing in a batwing tunic and leggings

laugh.gif I laughed out loud when I read this.

Every single piece of clothing in Lane Bryant right now is a CoF. Seriously.

thingsarenice
I haven't posted in a while, but I got an Allure catalogue in the mail today and I just had to share this with everyone:

Classic looks with modern details, like plaid leggings and appliqued galoshes!

There were plenty of CoFs within its pages, but I think that picture illustrates it best. Honestly, there were overalls in that catalogue. Overalls! Overalls are something to be worn when you're gardening and you don't want to get dirt on your non-ugly clothes.
wombat
I see new young students come into town, beaming with glee at their hipness in wearing cut-off boob-only sweaters and carrying quilted Vera Bradley bags. We've been ridiculing those items for at least a YEAR now.

And: finally, today, I saw it:

A woman dialing her cell phone AS SHE WAS GOING THROUGH a revolving door. Awkardly stuck out in front of her as she carried other items. Totally not looking where she was going.

And if I had gone IN to the revolving door she was on her way OUT of, it would have knocked the cell phone *ping!* out of her hands.

I'm not that cruel, I used the side door.

mornington
the woman in the white sweater-thing looks like she got up in the middle of the night 'cos she heard a noise and had to go out into the muddy garden.

lady heading down the road... I've seen her off and on regularly so I think she lives round here. Black too-tight mid-thigh skirt. Too tight sleeveless turtleneck which gives her six boobs (either that or two spare tyres). Paisely-patterned fishnet tights, cowboy boots (black). Mid-80s backcomed (think Heart) peroxide-blonde with inch-long roots. Too-heavy black diamanted cats eye glasses. Bright red lips and a face like a smacked bottom. Just wrong.

lilacwine13
Amilita, you could try looking on eBay for cheap Tevas. They might have the style and size you're looking for at a pretty good price.

Thingsarenice, you owe me a new set of retinas. Ouch.

*goes off to the Johnny Depp thread for relief*
possum
This newsboy cap mess has just got to stop forever. It was ugly then and it is ugly now. Blargh.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.