Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm Mad As Hell!!.... WORK SUCKS!!! rant thread dealing with everything!
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Working Grrls
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
buttercups
Thanks so much Angie and Ketto- I think people really do forget how hard it is to be in the job market- they just reject you with such ease. I really thought I had this job-the hiring director gave me a 20 min tour of the place and said she'd call me later about orientation- the only thing she called me about was to tell me that she decided to give the extra hours to the part-time employees, so nothing for me. I've applied to so many places, gone places in person, called and called back, this was the only place that actually responded, so I was really excited. I don't know what to do and part of the problem is that I need the job for the summer, but then have to go back to school in the fall. Nursing jobs are more like a career than a summer job, so no one also wants to hire someone that has to leave almost as soon as they get trained. I understand that, but I want experience so bad, and the last thing I want to do is spend another summer doing something I would have done in high school when I have a qualified degree now to do a more professional job- ugh. Really don't know what to do.

Angie that sucks that your school isn't prepared so now you have to stress, I hate how disorganized so many institutions can be! I'll keep my fingers crossed that they get their shit together for you!

Ketto that is exactly how I feel- how can i get experience if no one will give it to me?? I'm sorry about your brother, sounds like he's in a worse place than me. Tell him to hang in there, I know i'm going to have to!
angie_21
It is so stressful! I hate always being between jobs, always wondering if I'm going to have work in a few months, and going through peroids where I feel like half of my identity is just blank because I don't know from month to month what it is I'm going to be spending 50% of my waking hours doing. Buttercups, it is frustrating, and for some of us it takes longer than others, but it does settle down and you will be OK. you're allowed to be upset as much as you want until then smile.gif

On the other hand, as soon as I got a job that settled me down (if only for a few months before the internship ended) I got antsy and applied for school because even worse than the uncertainty is the boredom of actually having the same job every day. Grass is always greener, I guess.
angie_21
ha ha we posted at the same time!

One very wonderful woman at the department got everything sorted out for me. So I will be going into the field in a month unless anything goes too horribly wrong!

Hmm I hear ya on the experience thing. is there lower-level hospital experience you can get this summer to help you out next summer? As a unit aide or anythign that involves interaction with patients? Even food services?

It was the same thing with me, the guy showed me the office and introduced me to everyone and asked what kind of projects I would want to work on, then told me to call him next week and he never returned a single call or email. As it turned out, the office was moving to another city and he knew it on the day he showed me around and everything!
nakedmolerat
AAAAH!! I know what you mean about being kinda inbetween jobs!!! I am a substitute teacher, and a single mom, and work has been so sloooow! I never know if I'm going to have work or not, it is so hard to budget. I have been trying hard to find ways to make supplemental income, I am even embarassed to admit I am now getting food stamps, and I have been job hunting with no luck so far. I have been making and selling my jewelry, but that is hit or miss also. The plus side is I have lots of jewelry to wear everyday! Lol

Sending good luck vibes to all the hard working busties out there!
buttercups
Wow Angie, they knew they were moving and still showed you around! Now that is a whole new level of rude ugh! I'm so glad everything worked out for you, one less thing to stress about! I am definitely looking into positions that aren't necessarily in nursing, like being a home companion for people or something like that. Not exactly nursing but at least its interacting with people I figure. Ugh I'm so desperate right now I'll do anything!

Nakedmolerat that is so hard, makes me feel like I shouldn't complain bc I'm not a single mom. I really hope that everything works out for you and that you find something soon. It is so hard being out of work right now. Sending you lots and lots of luck!
buttercups
Applied and went to interviews for 2 more jobs today that I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get. I am becoming so depressed from all this and even though I'm trying to stay positive I can't take all the rejection mixed in with the stress of finals and everything else I've got goin on. My mom told me today that I should just go back to waitressing for the summer, but I don't even think I can make myself. I can't take that disappointment. I waited tables for over 6 years and I have a muscle problem. It was debilitating and my body couldnt take the strain every day. It is also one of the most stressful jobs I have ever done- and anyone who's ever done it I'm sure knows what I'm talking about. I feel like I've worked so goddamn hard to get to where I am and to have this degree and now I can't do shit with it. I know its because its a temporary situation, but the idea of going back to waiting tables made me cry. I just want experience in my field and I just want to do something that won't make me feel miserable for this whole summer. I know that nothing has ever come easy to me and I don't expect getting a job to either, but I'm working so hard at it. I've always believed that if you push yourself and work really hard then things will happen for you, but that hasn't been how my life has worked out. The only thing that has done for me is caused me to push myself way too hard into everything to the point where I end up with constant stress and anxiety. Not being able to get a job is keeping me up at night, and it hangs over my head all day. I'm trying to study for exams and write papers at the same time as calling up a million places, driving all over the state to try to fill out applications and meet people in person (i figure its harder to reject me to my face-doesnt seem to be true though), and going on anxiety-provoking interviews. Maybe I should just give up and take something that's not related to what I want to do, go back and waitress for another summer, but one of the best parts of going to school was thinking that I would never have to do that job again. I'm so disappointed in myself and in what my life is now. It's nothing like I thought it would be or wanted it to be. I know I'm due for a lucky break, but it looks like I'm going to have to try and find someway to make my own luck, I'm just failing at that right now. Sorry for the long post, just has been a long and hard day and I've spent the last 2 hours crying my eyes out cause I don't know what to do anymore. I know it could be worse, I'm grateful for what I have, but I need my lucky break- where are you?
angie_21
aaarrrgggghhh I hate international requirments. I had no idea how much paperwork was invovled just to cross a border... 5 years ago you didn't even need a passport to walk into the US, but to be a student and to work there, the paperwork started in April and it still hasn't stopped! I spend 3 full hours a day, every day, for the last 4 weeks, calling people, filling out forms, faxing forms, mailing things, opening new bank accounts, and paying fees. I can't take it anymore!
buttercups
Had such a stressful day at work and feeling like what the hell am I doing? I don't think I can be a nurse and I feel like a fraud when I'm at work because I have NO idea what I'm doing. I'm scared every second that I'm going to mess up and I have zero confidence whatsoever. Today was my first time being left alone and when I had to make a big decision I was terrified. I've spent all afternoon worrying about it. I can see now how nurses get burned out. I want to help people but all I feel like I'm capable of doing is harming them. Even though no one got hurt today, I still feel completely incompetent and stupid. I don't like being the only medical person responsible when I just passed my damn exam in March. i dont know if i can do this, nursing is scary as hell. what on earth was i thinking??
jpeb808
why is it that people in the work place that do jack shit seem to always get promoted quickly? what the hell am i doing wrong? Caring too much....
Persiflager
Hi jpeb! Please stop by and introduce yourself in the newbies thread (I've bumped it for you in 'Ladies who lounge').
anarch
jpeb, you know The Dilbert Principle? “leadership is nature's way of removing morons from the productive flow.”

QUOTE(buttercups @ Jun 18 2010, 02:13 PM) *
Had such a stressful day at work and feeling like what the hell am I doing? I don't think I can be a nurse and I feel like a fraud when I'm at work because I have NO idea what I'm doing.

(((buttercups)))

If you don't know about this study, you should read about it:

Most incompetent people do not know that they are incompetent. On the contrary. People who do things badly, Dunning has found in studies conducted with a graduate student, Justin Kruger, are usually supremely confident of their abilities -- more confident, in fact, than people who do things well. . . . Unlike unskilled counterparts, the most able subjects in the study, Kruger and Dunning found, were likely to underestimate their competence.
buttercups
Aww thanks anarch! I do feel seriously incompetent, but thank you for making me feel like maybe that means I'm more competent than I think haha! I do know the exact overconfident type that this article describes, and a lot of times those are the people that make the most mistakes. I just wish I could feel some confidence in myself, but I guess that will come with time. Very interesting article though, thanks again!
enfermera
how's it going, buttercups? are you seriously by yourself already? i've never been in that situation yet...are you working in a nursing home?
buttercups
Hey enfermera, it's going all right I'd say, thanks so much for asking! I'm working at an adult day care, so I have been alone a few times so far. It's my very first nursing job so I'm very nervous about everything and feel like I know absolutely nothing! I don't even know what to do when someone has a headache- I panic and think the worst! Everyone keeps telling me I know more than I think I do, but I'm not so sure...I did an accelerated nursing program that got me my RN in one year, so I feel like I haven't had the time to process the information or anything. I feel like it just all leaked out of my head and I can't remember a thing! I do love the patient interaction though and since I want to work in geriatrics I feel lucky that I get to start out working with my favorite population. Sometimes I wish I never went into nursing though and that I did something like social work, so I could still be helping out but not feel so responsible for them health-wise.
bob4both
OK, so this past March a manager quit and I was asked if I wanted the job. I said I was interested & would help fill in until the official offer was made. 10 weeks later they make a (lame) offer, which I countered. 3 weeks after that we settle on a decent offer. It's now been 15 weeks, they haven't selected a replacement for me to train so that I can go to my new position. I've been doing both jobs for the past 4 months; getting a little stressed that I'm not doing either job up to par because I'm doing both...and the other day my boss says that I "need to get my arms around what's happening in my department." Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
foryoursplendor
I've been working a full time and a part time job since the beginning of April. I've worked nearly every single day, I don't have weekends off, nothing. I'm calling in sick today because I really need a day off. I feel really bad doing it, I have a terrible conscience for these things because it is my choice to work 2 jobs and they shouldn't affect eachother. Augh.

Bob, that sucks big time. That's very unfortuante that they aren't looking at the entire situation and making changes for you. Nasty.
ketto
Bob, that's unbelievable. It's horrible being in a job where you're doing everything and not even getting appreciated for it.

FYS, I could not do that, physically or mentally. I used to be really bad about calling in sick, but I feel like a mental health day is justifiable when it comes to taking sick days. It's true its' your choice to work both jobs, but you need to take a break sometimes, especially since you've already been doing it since April.
bob4both
Yeah, FYS; I'm with Ketto on this one. Feel no guilt for taking a sick day, or you may need to take MANY of them! I've tried a part-time with a full-time before. It really wears on you fast.

On a positive note (in my situation), a replacement for me was named, and I am finally seeing my raise in my salary. They promised my back pay and I saw most of that this past week. But there's always the other side of the coin...

My replacement is on "paternity" leave (I guess family leave is more like it) for a new baby for who-knows-how-long, so I can't start training him until he gets back! But wait, it gets better! HIS replacement, who he has to train first before coming to my group, has NOT been selected yet! I swear, the only reason I hang around is to see what's gonna happen next...
sageykins
Oh bob- they shouldn't have treated you so badly. SUCKY!! They better be paying you for both jobs, sheesh.
I came in to rant about my own frustrations, but honestly reading everyone else's is making me feel slightly better. I'm grateful for the girls I work with at least smile.gif And my patients are always a delight- well almost always. smile.gif
foryoursplendor
Only 2 more weeks and I'll be done with the full time summer job, and I'll be on vacation!!! I don't think I could have worked like this for so long if I didn't have a vacation at the end of it. Finally, relaxation and fun.
anarch
Awesome, foryoursplendor!

bob, I'm late to the party, but I hope things are better, or at least not worse.
sageykins
So I have asked for 2 days off this entire summer, and have worked at this job for almost 2 years. Today I asked for the Friday before Labor Day off. The boss told me another therapist had asked for it off, and so she would be off. She's been there less than a year, and has already had almost 2 weeks off this summer. So while I understand she asked earlier in the day, but on the same day, I would think that seniority and previous time off would play into it. I said, rather boldly, 'so if I had asked first I would be off and she would have to work?' The thing is, we have 3 people who are regular call in therapists, and another who has been coming in frequently the last few weeks. One of the regulars can't work, but she basically told me I would need to work a half day - no mention of the other regulars, no suggestion that something else be figured out.
This is incredibly frequent of the boss. She has her favorites, and while I bust my ass daily, spend time arguing with nursing for my patients, help everyone I can, and work incredibly hard, she apparently prefers the kiss ass-ing that the other therapist does. That therapist spent almost 2 hours, during work hours, on a conference call with her husband and a fertility clinic today.
Seriously.

Very much considering quitting this place and doing the traveling therapist gig. Anyone in healthcare have any opinions of the traveling deal? Contract companies?
Have had it.
pants
is there any polite way to tell someone you share space with that chewing with their mouth open is 100% grody and that it MUST STOP?

bob4both
is there any polite way to tell someone you share space with that chewing with their mouth open is 100% grody and that it MUST STOP?

Yeah, pants, it goes like this..."knock it off you cud-chewing hog!" Or maybe what you said above would suffice!

Sagey; is your dept that tight that they can't reschedule patients; or does everyone have to be seen every day? That's the way it usually goes, though. The cooperative employees, or those tolerant enough to put up with the sh** usually get taken advantage of. As for travelling therapy, what type of therapist are you PT, OT? I know several of each & they love the home health field; flexible schedules, and not definately not boring. I dont know about travelling for other types of therapy, however.

An update on my situation, just cuz it gets funnier every day. They made the new health physicist an offer, but it was so ridiculously low he may actually lose money if he takes it! He had till this past Thursday to decide, but I haven't heard anything either way. So, back to the drawing board with him, or possibly consider the next candidate. A full month since my last post (that long already?) and nothing has changed.

"Sometimes you just gotta laugh to keep from crying!" HA!
sageykins
Bob- I'm in PT as a Physical Therapist Assistant- and have talked to some people, they have all liked it a lot. I can't yet do home health because I haven't been treating long enough to have my indirect license. As a PTA I can almost everything a PT can- except a few things, and one is that I must work 'under' a PT (or 5 smile.gif ha) and once I have my indirect license I could do home health, because they assume that with that many hours/years, I would be competent enough. Apparently I'm not yet smile.gif All of our patients have to be seen every day- I work in Skilled Nursing/Rehab and ours is such that therapy must be seen 5x/week for insurance, etc.

Things are better at work. The boss talked to me and did some arranging and has another call in covering my case load and I will have the following week off smile.gif! Which is great since I am looking to move and need to have time to pack and just not be there for a while.

So things are better, but I'm still looking at traveling. If you could give them my info, I'd love to ask questions, get agencies, etc. I can PM you my email.

I'm sorry your work situation isn't better. Gotta be frustrating. sad.gif Did the rest of your back pay come through yet? Did you actually get to start your new job or has that guy still not returned from paternity leave? Or is that him that they offered the spot to? (I'm slightly confused, sorry).
I hope it gets better soon!
bob4both
I used to date an OTA (still on good terms) that did home health (which is where I learned about it...and medical "ethics" as well!). She did home evaluations, therapy, etc. She was supposed to work under the OT, but it seems she had better therapy skills than most of her OTs cuz they spent so much time on the paperwork/regulatory side and so little on the actual therapy; I'd assume it's similar with PTs.

My situation; yes, confusing. The guy who was on family leave is back. He's supposed to replace me, but there needs to be a new hire to replace him first. The offer to the new hire was the ridiculously low offer. So if the new hire doesn't take it, it daisy-chains to me not getting replaced. I did not get all my backpay, so I sent a memo protesting their decision & made sure it was included in my personnel file. And I'm still doing 2 job...
sageykins
BBLLLLEEECCCHHHHHH!! I'm sorry. Sheesh.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.