Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sniff, sniff,mmm. What is that perfume you're wearing?
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
altargrrrl
gah! i'm so weak! i broke down last night and bought one bottle each of chrysanthamum moon, midnight on the midway, and mme moriarty. i'm such a sucker for incense scents.

btw, i'm thinking of swapping or selling some of the bottles that i'm just not terribly in love with or don't wear that often. i'm almost positive that my CTIII and Pit and the Pendulum are up (so sad that the latter didn't work for me). i might also trade/sell my Monsterbait: Underpants and Jacob's Ladder. Any interest?

ETA: my lush discon order is being delivered today. i'm so excited. now i can slather myself with the scent of blue skies every day in the shower. wheeee!
angelle321
I've been trying my darndest to win a bottle of Underpants on ebay. How much would you want for it? All I have in my sell pile are general catalog imps, so probably nothing interesting to trade.
altargrrrl
cool! it's not that i dislike the underpants, but it's a little sweet for me, and i find that i don't wear it very often. the bottle is basically full, just below shoulder level (it was barely at shoulder level when i got it). let me think about it for a bit (a day, maybe) before i decide for sure to let it go. my collection isn't that big, but i'm not exactly made of money, and i need to make both financial and literal room for more bottles. as i posted below, i just bought three more, and i know i'm going to want some of the holloween scents (all saints 2006 please!). if i do decide to sell it...

i'd like $20.00 for it (that's what i paid for it). plus i'd charge $5.00 (for usps) or $8.00 (for ups) for shipping, since it wouldn't be a trade. (i'm assuming you're in the u.s.) your choice of shipping provider. i hate the post office because they always seem to mess something up. plus, with ups you can track even ground shipped packages. you get what you pay for, imho.

i don't have a paypal account, so i would prefer you to send a check, and then i'd send the underpants within a day or so when the check clears. would that be a problem?

btw, i can't believe what some of the bpal goes for on ebay. totally ridiculous.

p.s. (i really like parentheses) tongue.gif
Shugga
ok, i have three pending orders. they are small but i've been sort of broke. i'm supposed to be paying off credit card debt but i charged one of the orders anyway. i'm bad.

1. Harvest Moon. sad.gif all i could afford
2. 10ml's of Bordello and Antique Lace.
3. 5ml of F5 and an imp of Cockaigne.

i'm so excited to try Cockaigne.

i've been collecting the lunacies this year but i was so broke that i didn't order Mum Moon. i figured i could pick it up later. besides red musk and ginger don't really work on me. red musk hates my skin. this is what i keep telling myself. sad.gif

ebay is out of control! omg. i have only used ebay a couple times and never again. i just can't afford to spend that much.

haha. i just realized i'm a total bpal fan girl. i use OMG! constantly in my posts in here. laugh.gif

ETA: i also joined a CD decant circle. this way i know where to invest in a bottle. i'm scared of clowns but XANTHE sounds awesome. GUAVA....
turbojenn
OMG - shugga - I totally need to get in on a decant circle for CD - I totally forgot that was an option!

*runs out of thread to find a decant group*
Owl_Gang_Girl
I haven't heard of about 90% of the perfumes in this thread! I just have to stop by and sing the praises of my new signature scent. Kingdom by Alexander Mcqueen. It's VERY Strong when you first smell it but when you wear it it's spicy and makes your tummy feel all warm. Yum.
Xxx.
turbojenn
hey owl - welcome! Mostly, we're all agog over the new Carnival Diabolique scents from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab....they're all hand blended from essential oils, and I dare say...once you try them, you'll mostly forget all about those alcohol based perfumes they sell in stores....so wander on over, and beware what may befall your wallet!

I love sexy, warm spicy stuff too, and there is much of that to be found over at bpal!
Owl_Gang_Girl
How eloquent and informative you are. What a darling. I shall take a look at my own peril after all i only have a holiday to pay/save for and a birthday present for my best pal and my tattoo.

*Update*

Looks like my wallet is safe. They only ship within the US apparently!

Xx.

olhakadirf
i have toyed with the idea of trying bpals, it seems everyone buys them on ebay, can I just order them off of their website? what is the difference? thanks for your help smile.gif *waves at turbo*
quantumspice
QUOTE(Owl_Gang_Girl @ Aug 10 2006, 06:43 PM) *

How eloquent and informative you are. What a darling. I shall take a look at my own peril after all i only have a holiday to pay/save for and a birthday present for my best pal and my tattoo.

*Update*

Looks like my wallet is safe. They only ship within the US apparently!

Xx.

actually, they ship abroad, but you have to order via paypal wink.gif
Owl_Gang_Girl
Darn! I think my bank card just ran for the hills! laugh.gif
Xxx.
turbojenn
indeed, owl...hide that bank card now!!! laugh.gif

dirf - I'd definitely recommend ordering straight from the source - you generally pay too much on ebay, and that way you can pick out what you want. They sell little sample vials, "imps" for not a lot of $$, and they give you several applications to try things out and see what you like....and its fun to read all the descriptions and try a few things. Alternately, you can go on qspice's bpal forum, bpal.org, and look in the swap/sales section and buy a few imps there, for a bit less than you might pay the lab...most of the folk on bpal.org are pretty responsible swappers.
angelle321
altar that sounds peachy smile.gif Just let me know. You can email me if you want angelle321 at hotmail.
taligator
I haven't worn my bpal in awhile but the other day dabbed a little Blood on and was smiling the whole day. I love that scent. I'm looking to invest in another set or two of imps and just making out my list and checking it twice. I will need to get more Machu Picchu that's certain ...
dani837
Does anyone here knows when Versace: Yellow Jeans is coming back? I LOVE that parfume and last time I went to buy it , I asked 10000 places and they all told me it was discontinued:( They do have the red jeans, and pink jeans, but I miss the yellow jeans:(
Right now my favorite parfume is Incanto, by Salvatore Ferragamo smile.gif
sassygrrl
Yay! Going to jump on the bpal bandwagon and purchase some carnivale scents and a few of the wanderlust ones.... hooray!

Dani,
http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_cid_pe...__products.html
lorajc
I rec'd my Harvest Moon over the weekend. It took about 24 hours for me to fall in love with it. To me, it's a cross between last year's Harvest Moon (only slighly applish) and Lughnasadh. The drydown is spectacular. I'm wearing Hungry Ghost Moon today and loving it more today also.

I rearranged my oils last night and cleared a large space for my pending Carnivale order.

FYI - for new people - I sell imp packs on E-bay of Limited Editions. My auctions usually go for listing price. I sell 3 imps for $12.50, so it's not that expensive and this way you can try stuff you missed out on.

If anyone has an extra bottle of Midway - please let me know, as I'd like to purchase one and the listing on E-bay is getting too high.
dani837
QUOTE(sassygrrl @ Aug 13 2006, 11:45 PM) *

Yay! Going to jump on the bpal bandwagon and purchase some carnivale scents and a few of the wanderlust ones.... hooray!
Dani,
http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_cid_pe...__products.html

Thanks sassygrrl, but those bottles are the small ones, they are like the size of my finger. I DID see them when I was asking for the yellow jeans, but I want the big ones and those are the ones they don't have anymore:( Maybe I should buy that little one just to have something, right?? smile.gif

Lorajc, you sell packs of oils? Can you give me the link? thanks!
altargrrrl
angelle321-

i pm'd you. underpants are a go!
lorajc
Dani - I'm computer challenged. I don't know how to link, but my user name is Lorajc946 on ebay and I have stuff listed now under "Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab - Imp Decants". I have about 13 packs of 3 each listed. I just listed over the weekend.
dani837
Alright thanks! SO they ARE oils right? Do you have any pics? I work better with pics tongue.gif

Alright thanks! SO they ARE oils right? Do you have any pics? I work better with pics tongue.gif
turbojenn
dani - you can also buy the little sample vials (imps) straight from the Lab - clickie, as well as their bottles. There's not really any piccies of the bottles, but the descriptions are really quite amazing. The imps are 1ml samples which is good for quite a few wearings, and the bottles are 5ml, which doesn't sound like a lot, but in the two years that I've been bpal obsessed, I've only totally emptied 2 bottles...with straight essential oils, a little goes a long way. And the skins morph on your skin as the day wears on, so its fun to sniff yourself all day and see how the scent changes! For most of us, once we try bpal, we rarely return to the world of commercial alcohol based perfumes.
lorajc
No pics - and I only sell Limited Edition blends in sample size. You can read reviews on BPAL.org for descriptions and reviews.

I'm looking for bottles of Chaste Moon and Midway if anyone has one they'd like to sell me.

zora
Lora, I'll sell you my midway. It just smells like vanilla on me and being a pastry chef, I have a lot of vanilla on me at all times. Send me a pm!
zora
I got a Click and Ship! I got a Click and Ship!
Chaos Theory will soon be in my little hands and six lovely imps. Woo!
Shugga
lorajc- harvest moon is wonderful! and it lasts! i have loved all the lunacies this past year but they just don't seem to last very long and harves moon did. i think they just keep getting better and better. this one and hungry ghost moon have been my favorites of the '06 lunacies. makes me wish i had tried the harvest moons 04 and 05.

zora- yay! i still have two orders pending so i'm looking forward to mine.

i am wearing Antique Lace. Oldie but goodie.

i'm moving to California in november and that's just dangerous...i'm only a couple hours from L.A. Will-Call here I come!
lorajc
Harvest Moon smells wonderful, but it doesn't last that long on me........aging a bottle should take care of that though.

I ended up paying over $40 for Chaste Moon on E-bay today ........not even a full one!! I love it though!

Zora - PM'd you about the Midway.
olhakadirf
I wish I had the guts to order some imps, but I know when I get started it wont stop sad.gif I think after I get the kid all in school and my school loans caught up I will jump in, for now I will live vicariously through everyone here

I need a boyfriend who likes to buy gifts............
lorajc
Oh.....go for it. ORDER. You won't be sorry.

I'm wearing Berenic today...........mmmmmmmm smells good but different than the last time I wore it.

Zora - I Paypaled the $ for Midway this morning before I left for work. Thanks so much.
zora
My Chaos Theory arrived. It smells nice on Ben, but personally, it's not something I'll wear.
Haven't had a chance to really try the imps yet. I got three freebies! Yay!
dani837
QUOTE(olhakadirf @ Aug 16 2006, 08:32 PM) *

I need a boyfriend who likes to buy gifts............

No, you need a sugar daddy haha!

turbojen, can you explain more about those things? I don't understand(i,.e: what's imp??)"quite a few wearings"?? I thought they were those oils that you heat up with a candle and all your house smells yummy??

And the skins morph on your skin as the day wears on, so its fun to sniff yourself all day and see how the scent changes!

?????? mellow.gif
turbojenn
sorry, dani, if I jumped ahead a bit. An "imp" is a small 1ml sample vial of the perfume oils from bpal...you can order them individually for, I think $3.50 each, or 6 for $19.50 - and you can order imps from the general catalog scents - there's more info on the linky above as to what you can and cannot order a sample of...generally, you can't get any of their limited edition oils in sample vials.

I can usually get about 7-10+ wearings out of an imp, depending on how much I slather on. A little goes along way with bpal, because its 100% handblended essential oil perfumes - no filler oils, no alcohol. And while you can use the bpal oils for room fragrance, their primary use is as perfume. The sample imps come with a dipstick in the vial, and you just dab it on your pulse points, and sniff your good smelling self all day!

As for the "morphing" of scents...most perfumes have a top note, mid note, and base note, and you can smell each note as the perfume changes on your skin throughout the day. Bpal, however, has many more notes and we say that the scents "morph" on your skin, as the day goes on. And everyone's skin takes scent and reacts to scent in different ways, so while you can compare what you like to what I like, they may smell very different on you and I. The morphing of the scents is possibly my favorite thing about bpal - I love to see how the scents change on my skin throughout the day, and what different things I can smell in the oil as it wears on my skin. Interestingly enough, during your period, the scents may also smell differently on your skin, as your hormone balance changes.

I hope that clears up some of the confusion...we can get a little carried away in here!
tart
Turbo, you wanton BPAL slatherer... I'm getting 30+ wears out of my imps! Makes me think I could be a little freer with The Precious...

I am trying so, so hard to abstain from a BPAL binge - I've blown much moolah on bras/slings/pretty baby gear the past few months, and can't really justify another splurge.

BUT. And There Was a Great Cry in Egypt... o, how it cries my name! I'm also trolling eBay for a bottle of Hexennacht. Crap. So much for paying off the credit card anytime soon...
turbojenn
heh...I guess I am a wanton slatherer...though truly, I was guessing, as I can't remember really ever fully using up an imp...if I fall in love with it, I generally buy or swap for it...

c'mon tart - even a new momma needs some nice smellies once in awhile - treat yourself!!
tart
Now how can I possibly argue with that, Turbo? I just bid on a 5ml of Pumpkin Patch #5...
olhakadirf
if i had mowed the lawn yesterday myself, instead of paying to have it done I could have splurged wacko.gif

I have a list of what I want for my first order of imps (someday)

yes dani i do need a sugar daddy biggrin.gif
tart
Share your list, Dirf - some of us BPAL veterans might have a few spare imps that could be passed on to a newbie!
dani837
Thanks for your explanation turbojenn! Do you have any favorite imp that you can reccomend?(and if you describe the smell, even better:-D )
edit: I forgot to add, do they also have the properties described in the webpage? Like one of them says it would attrack men, the other one said it would make you want to sleep?? is all that true or its just propaganda??
edit2: like for example the descriptions in this one http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/voodoo.html
Are the all true effects?
lorajc
Wow -- that's a lot LOT of use out of an imp. I have extremely dry skin and an imp only lasts me 2-3 wears - depending on the strength of the oil and how many times I touch up during the day. I usually just buy bottles, cuz with BPAL 2-3 times isn't enough time for me to really judge a scent, as some of the notes are so unique that your nose needs to warm up to them (from my experience at least).
turbojenn
hmmm....well dani, as there are about 700 scents now, I can't describe them all. tongue.gif Oh, and Beth, who is the creator of these oils is a master perfumier, and also trained in voodoo arts and crafting oils with healing properties, so yes, the somnus blends are for aiding sleep - they're really lovely - I swab them on my pillow a bit. And the voodoo are crafted from voodoo recipes and have active properties...but as with anything, the intent paired with the oil matters as much as their creation.

Ok, here's a couple that lots of folk like:

Dorian - lightest white musk, with sugar lemon icing on top, with a hint of tea....I reach for this one whenever I need something comforting.
Snake Oil - Beth's signature scent - heavy dark musk, paired with sweet vanilla
Pele - Light, airy tropical ginger with a background of tropical blooms

Hmmm....I need to think a bit more, but check out bpal.org and look through the reviews section for specific reviews of each and every scent....it can be overwhelming, but there's all the information you could ever need, and more out there!
sassygrrl
Yippee! I just got 6 imps: Bordello, Jabberwocky, one of new Carnivale scents, London, Red Blood, and another one that I can't remember! My first adventure into BPAL... smile.gif
zora
It was a Great Sword Of War....

And it smells awesome on me. It's my new "I'm a fucking Bad-Ass" scent.
sassygrrl
Oops, Red Devil and Block buster were the other two I was forgetting. Should be able to get them in a few days. I figure Block Buster may help me focus more at work. smile.gif
taligator
OK - I didn't really need more BPAL but I just requested the following:

#20 Love Oil, Baghdad, Bayou, Machu Picchu (anybody got a 5ml of this they want to sell?), Saint Germaine, Dragon's Tears, Old Scratch, Rage, Titus Andronicus, Anathema, Bloodlust, and Madrid.

I'm hoping that it goes through (buying from swap board). I haven't yet purchased anything from BPAL officially because I'm far too impatient to do so but may have to if I want the larger size of Machu Picchu since it doesn't seem to exist outside of imps on the forums.

I'm wearing a strange combo this evening but I like it .. swank, sin, and penitence.

Say .. did Sin get discontinued? If so, that's really a bummer since I love to wear sin and penitence together.
mouse
taligator, i'm waiting on a 5ml of macchu picchu from the lab; if i don't like it, it's yours! (i think i'll like it though)

i think i will have some tide-me-over-till-the-big-bottle-arrives imps of xiu waiting for me in my mailbox tonight. woo.
taligator
mouse - machu is easily my favorite bpal scent for some reason. It just hits all the right notes with me. Right now I'm really enjoying Morocco .. I have a definate penchant for the Wanderlust scents. I've not yet met one I didn't like in some way.

dani837
Hmm what does Macchu Picchu smells like? Somehow I don't think it smells like the real place tongue.gif
taligator
I'm wearing Queen today and I feel like I sprayed myself with Raid bug spray .. just not working on me. Yuck.

Machu Picchu ..

The official description is: Sweet tropical fruits burst through deep, wet rainforest boughs, enormous steamy blossoms, over thin mountaintop breezes, mingled with the soft, rich golden scent of Peruvian amber.

It's very sweet, surprisingly so, but doesn't have that sharp undertone which most sweet scents have. It's not chemical or even floral to me. I don't think it smells fruity either, at least not any fruit I'm aware of just very sweet. I love amber and I think it fits this scent very well. To me it adds a deep layer underneath which tempers the sweetness of the scent. It doesn't make it overpowering. When it's wet it's VERY ripe/sweet but settles down and it's one of those scents that whispers to you all day long if you move your arm a certain way and it's just a happy scent. I can't possibly be as eloquent as others when describing it but to use some of their terminology, on my skin, it's got great throw. wink.gif

dani837
Oo that's something I don't get! When they say "amber" do they mean the actual tree amber? Like, i didn't know that had a smell!
mouse
wooooooooooooo i get to go to sunset junction this weekend and buy lots of smellies right from beth & the labbies' hot little hands! *dances*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.