Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sniff, sniff,mmm. What is that perfume you're wearing?
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
turbojenn
Heee - and ebay scares ME! smile.gif

All you do is start a thread in the For Sale forum, and list your wares with prices, shipping, and specify if you're willing to ship internationally too, and ask folks to PM you if they're interested. Note that you can only have ONE thread in the for sale forum, so I paste the link to my thread in my personal profile notes section, so I don't lose it.
quantumspice
Just make sure your prices meet the forum price caps, coz we're pretty hard assed about that. There's a pretty thorough price cap list that also lists how much which LE cost, in case you forgot.
turbojenn
Hi qspice!! Good to see you in here!! We've *meeced you!* Thanks for the link to the price caps!
quantumspice
I've been pretty busy of late - finals-related crap, moving halfway cross the country (down to southern Arizona), starting a new job, and then my spare time has been eaten up by my new bpal-y project - a wiki. It'll be pretty slim aside from forum stuff when it goes up, but the hope is that people will make articles about anything ranging from how to swap & what to expect at meet n sniffs to about Shakespeare and aromatherapy (and other inspirations) and from how to make (say) bath salts to general perfume-y information.
angelle321
Thanks for the reference qspice. It's still scary but maybe one of these days I'll give it a shot. In the end I'm just looking to lose as little money as possible on this stuff. Lately anything I make back just goes into buying more anyway. smile.gif

It is early and I managed to get up a little earlier than my alarm. So I'm able to sit here and drink my coffee slowly and not be making myself late for work (yet). I don't know which bpal I want to wear today. My yes pile has grown almost too large for me to handle easily. It is nice to have variety though. This time of year especially. It all smells so much better on me in the warm weather.

And today's choice is... Jack! On me it smells like warm peach pie filling. So yummy!
quantumspice
The price caps for bottles are pretty simple, don't charge more than a few bucks [or as the case may be, $2.50] more than what you paid for. It's the pesky imps that get crazy, and that's because there's some weirdness in how the imp packs were priced.

I've been wearing Phantasm for about two weeks straight. I'm thinking that today, I ought to peek into my big box and find something else to wear.
tart
Hi, QSpice! (flappityflap) A BPAL Wiki sounds awesome...

I have just the opposite problem, Angelle - my list of wearables drops off considerably when the weather heats up. I tend to favor incense, woods & spices, so once the temps go above 75, it all gets too heavy & overwhelming. So far only Kumiho, Enbalming Fluid & Tweedledee are really working - I can sometimes pull off Mag Mell, but the verbena usually comes whomping out... I may well be interested in buying some of your imps, if you want to PM me a list of what you're looking to move. I have a pretty small collection of stuff to offer in return, but can PayPal if you prefer the dinero...

Today's cooler & rainy, so I dredged up an original imp from my very first order - Cathedral. It's aged really nicely - the cedar is way more prominent, and the sandalwood is finally stepping back a bit.

Thanks for the resale input, Turbo & Q - I don't think I've got the disposable income yet to get into it regularly, but when/if I do, I'll go the forum route, for sure... I missed the LE run this round, anyway... or did I? It's still up on the site...
quantumspice
Dude, I'm glad someone else thinks the wiki sounds like it's got potential! I just hope people will actually go and add and edit articles, otherwise it's just going to be about the forum. Which, I suppose, is still a step up from our existing rules & regs, since it'll be easy to search, reference, and ask questions (coz if you click the add reply button n the wiki, it'll take you to the forum), but I've got delusions of grandeur, that the wiki will be The Next Big Thing smile.gif But yeah, I'm pretty sure that added functionality to our guidelines is the main reason why SV's agreed to the wiki.

Plus, I think it would be 10 kinds of cool to be able to go the wiki, type in a perfume name, and be able to not only have a link to the review (or better yet, the 5ish most recent reviews) but also learn more about it. Or to be able to a page about a single note and learn more about the plant, ways the oil can be made, descriptions of what it smells like, and a list of perfumes that has that note in it. See, delusions of grandeur. But it would be soooooo cool if it happened!

I wore Mr Ibis today. I was afraid that he'd be all heavy musky, but instead, he was light and vanilla-y. Yay! I'm thinking that tomorrow I may try to dig up Death Cap, as it turns into this wonderfully spicy earthy resin but not too powerful. If not, NeoTokyo will do me finely.
angelle321
I think it sounds like a fabulous idea and very, very useful. I hope it turns out even better than you imagine! smile.gif

I think pumpkin smells like peaches on me. I won a bottle of Pumpkin Patch #2 and it arrived yesterday. I figured it would make more sense to try it today since I was already wearing Jack yesterday. This seems to have the same peachyness that Jack does on me. Weird!
tart
Dudes, it's a Paris Hilton-themed update. blink.gif
zora
A hilarious PAris hilton Update! Hah!
tart
I'm wearing Pumpkin #5 today - thanks for the inspiration, Angelle! The longer it ages, the more the woods come out, the cloying sweetness tones down... and dare I hope, a whisper of the promised ivy.

I ordered a bunch of empty vials yesterday, as I've decided to just dip my toe into the decanting racket. I figure I'll start with what I've got on hand, & keep an eye out for good deals in the forums & on Ebay.

Pruno! laugh.gif
vesicapisces
Qspice, Phantasm was one of the imps I got in my *very first BPAL purchase ever*, received earlier this week - unfortunately it doesn't last very long and turns pretty soapy on me. I'm loving Arcana, Envy, & Black Forest.
gogosgirl
krampus today, 'cuz nothing makes me feel more confident than a big dose of sexy scent (well, except for big ol' boots, but those don't come into play very often in the islands...)!
tart
Continuing the Yule theme, I'm test-driving Herr Drosselmeyer - it's really nice, but smells oddly of hot buttered pannetone...
avaadore
That Britney Spears makes one HELL of a perfume. Amazing, my absolute favorite.

But seriously, it's smells horrible. Like cotton candy and death.

turbojenn
Bwahahaha!! Ava, you crack me up!

*BTW, at the Chicago bustie gathering last night (where tart was missed greatly), the bpal was uncorked, and jokes made at the expense of pop princess perfumes*

Don't you worry, my dear....On Saturday at the BBQ, we'll get you fully bpal-ennabled. Its what I do best. smile.gif
angelle321
Anyone else order Pruno? I'm still trying to decide how I feel about it. I smell fruityness but it also has something that reminds me of deoderant soap. I think.
Arcadia
Does anyone else love Calgon? It doesn't last forever and it's pretty cheap to buy, but I totally appreciate it. I get them for Christmas a lot and I have so many that I layer them to make different scents. My favourite of the original line is Tahitian Orchid and Hawaiian Ginger. They also have a new kind that is based on yummy desserts - I like the Vanilla Swirl and Marshmallow of those ones.

I don't know, I just think that they are great for summer because they are so light and fresh smelling. I know they've been around forever and aren't overly expensive but I love them.

I also wear Gap and Body Shop scents. In the city I just moved to there isn't a Gap here so the next time I go back to my hometown I will have to pick up some "So Pink". It's definitely my favourite out of all of them. Every time I smell it, it brings me back to a certain place in my life that I love to relive, which is probably my favourite thing about perfume, actually! Depending on the scent, it always reminds me of a significant part of my past. Sometimes I purchase new scents just for that purpose alone.
tart
I used to wear Calgon, Arcadia - there was a tea & ginger scent, maybe your Hawaiian Ginger, that I liked a lot. I liked that they didn't have the commercial perfume funk, and I could put on a good layer without clearing the room, you know? And the Body Shop's Freesia single note was my very first "grown up" perfume purchase (ie, not bought by some well-meaning family member)...

Back on the BPAL wagon, Caliban has turned out to be the surprise hit of the summer.... it's lovely & green & verdant, like lying in a bed of ferns with the sun filtering through the leaves & the ocean in the distance. Perfect for hot & humid days when most of my oils are way too heavy. Thanks so much for passing it along, Angelle!
tart
Update! Gaiman, Pratchett & Leo, oh my!
angelle321
It's update time! There's a new "13". It sounds nice. So now I'm resisting the temptation cause I need to cool it on the spending for a while. I am curious about it though. I have the last two 13s too though and they didn't work as well on me as I hoped. Perhaps this one wouldn't either.
octobersky
I'm always allured at the thought of 13 - but I got the October one and it just went straight up chocolate on me - none of the loveliness of the other notes listed. sad.gif

Shouldn't there be a carnivale update this summer? There hasn't been one for sometime.......
vesicapisces
I just found an bottle of perfume oil in the bottom of my purse and thought I'd come in to put in a plug for its creator - Kamala. I used to wear her Aries oil a lot, and now I remember why! She's a trained herbalist and really knows her stuff health-wise, plus she makes some amazing scent blends. My ex husband used to wear her Satyr oil and it was all I could do to keep from jumping his bones right in public. Pure sex in a bottle.
quantumspice
Rumor has it that they're working hard on the next act(s) of the carnival. biggrin.gif
octobersky
Yay!! More carnivale!!

Not to be greedy but I was secretly hoping that BPAL would release a Harry Potter inspired oil for the last book! I know they would have to be careful of copyright infringement and all, but *sigh* it's a loverly thought!
mouse
so, i've dipped into the bpal pot before, i found my favorites (xiuhtecuhtli, bliss, dorian) and stuck to 'em. i'm pretty picky and most of their stuff smells like a headshop to me sad.gif recently though i decided to try a few more that sounded good and ordered some imps.

OH my GOD why did i not find out about kitsune-tsuki SOONER!@!!!!! this is IMMEDIATELY getting ordered as a big bottle. sweet jesus.
taligator
Ahhh BPAL, I must unearth my box of bpal and start wearing it again. I've been seeing the BPAL ads in Shojo Beat and each time they make me smile.

mouse
i totally passed beth and puddin' on the escalators at comic con yesterday. i was wearing macchu picchu. if we weren't going opposite directions i would've stopped to tell them so. sadly i could not, and did not feel like shouting.
taligator
I swiped on some Machu picchu last night and smelled good all the way through bed .. was about to put more on this morning but decided on Swank.

It seems to have mellowed since I last tried it, that or my own body chemistry has changed. I don't recall liking it this much. smile.gif
mouse
tal, macchu picchu was one that grew on me too. i liked it at first but it didn't knock me out until i forgot about it and then remembered several months later. i don't think it's aging either since i liked what i rediscovered so much i ordered a new bottle, and it smells the same. yum.
mouse
one of my coworkers knows neil gaiman, and today i saw she had a poster for the bpal collection at her desk and i kind of flipped out. she just had it cos of him. but i was like "OOH OOH I KNOW THAT!"
LASUE
My favorites are Narcisso Rodriguez, Chanel No. 5, and Michael Kors
amywoman
Hi folks. Haven't been here in forever, mostly because I had a house disaster that ultimately ruined all my BPAL. Long story. And I don't wear any other scents. Ergo, nothing to talk about.

I sent in a BPAL order July 26th and haven't gotten a click-n-ship even though people who sent in orders on 8/1 are getting theirs. I'm wondering if that's because I ordered an imp set of the Chakra oils? I've heard that an imp set can make an order take significantly longer. I don't know, what do you all think? I know I can email the lab but I'd rather not nag if I can avoid it and I honestly don't see an existing thread on the bpal boards. Am I missing such a thread where I can ask how likely the Would rather not start a whole new thread just for this.

I know I'm being impatient. Just want to make sure that my order isn't lost because a lost order would be horrible. *hand to forehead* ohmy.gif

Aside from all that, I am wearing Persephone today! Yummy rose and pomegranate. It's one of the two bottles that I managed to salvage because they weren't in with the rest, the other being Snake Charmer. An LE that didn't get ruined out of sheer luck. Small favors, eh?
quantumspice
I would actually email customer service that, myself...
amywoman
I guess I was hoping that someone would say that yes, it was the imp set that made it take longer (am I imagining that about imp sets?) but I think I'll do that if I don't have a CnS by the end of today. Thanks, quantumspice!
amywoman
If anyone was wondering, I got my reply from customer service and it was indeed the Chakra imp set delaying the shipment. Just a note for anyone ordering those in the future.

I asked if I could pay extra and split up the shipping. We'll see what they say, and if they can't, no big deal.
taligator
So my co-worker ordered some BPAL after I was blathering about them and she got an imp of Pele in her order. She didn't like it so she passed it on to me ...

I read the reviews for it and one person said it smelled like Amazing Grace by philosophy which completely made me want to try it. To me, it resembles it but doesn't do for me what AG does. That said, I do like Pele .. reminds me of Machu Picchu in its sweetness but it doesn't last long on me. *pout*

I think I should make a new BPAL order. smile.gif
raisingirl
*pokes head in*

PELE? As in Boys for Pele?!

And Mouse, you know someone who knows Neil? *swoon*

I have a one-track mind these days with the Tori fever.

Many months ago I got a bunch of BPAL samples from a Bustie (not sure if I can name her or if she wants it kept secret...?) and I'm still on Jolly Roger, I like it a ton and it's the only one I've given myself a chance to get into. It reminds me of the warm Caribbean sea and all the associated scents and I think it smells decent on me. I kind of just want to eat it and lick it up.
amywoman
Knowing Beth, probably the goddess Pele.
raisingirl
Oh, COOL. The same Pele!
taligator
Pele - Whimsical, temperamental, radiant and ravishingly beautiful Goddess of Volcanoes, Fire, Lightning and Dance. She is the Mother of Eruptions and the personification of destructive power. Volcanic eruptions are said to be a side-effect of her jealous rages and her epic quarrels with her siblings are legendary. This perfume embodies her gentler, benign aspect as the capricious Goddess of Dance: muguet and Hawaiian white ginger enveloped by warm, damp tropical blooms.

biggrin.gif
Shugga
i want the halloweenie scents!!! i wonder when they will be released.

i had been neglecting my bpal but the other day i put on some aged dorian. i fell in love all over again. smile.gif too bad my dorian is just about gone. meh.
quantumspice
I bet it's soon, it's nearly September, after all!
amywoman
Oh my. Mme Moriarty is WONDERFUL. I lurve her!
Shugga
Mme. Moriarty is one of my favorite blends too, amywoman. my mom stole my bottle!

so Halloweenie Update! what is everyone excited about? nothing really jumped out at me...oh how being broke makes me choosy! i was very disappointed that Punkie Night didn't make a return. I think i'll order Pumpkin 1 because it sounds lovely. other than that i'm not sure what to get.
raisingirl
Oh boy. Now I'll just have to get it, Taligator. tongue.gif
taligator
I received my scent locket yesterday along with 7 imps that were a surprise. I love surprises!

I received: Alecto, Black Dahlia, Catherine, Chimera, Destroying Angel, Dragon's Blood, and Hymn.

I've owned Black Dahlia before and Dragon's Blood so those weren't so fun to try out but the others have been enjoyable.

I also placed an order for 5ml of Pele and Machu Picchu along with an imp pack of Dorian, High John the Conquerer, Florence, Baghdad, 51, and Aglaea. I didn't realize until after I'd placed my order that I already had an imp of Baghdad but that's OK since it's one of my favorites so more isn't a problem.

Overall, it's been a good scent week. smile.gif
tart
Oh Weenie update, how you wreck me. I ordered 5 bottles, in the hopes that somewhere there is a fall leaves scent that delivers & that doesn't just envelop me in vetiver funk... Very sad to see that Devils Night didn't make another appearance - I have a bottle from 2006 that's aging beautifully, and I'd hoped to get a back-up... ah well.
amywoman
Tsk on Shugga's mom! You know, I've been bringing the bottle of Mme Moriarty to work with me so I can smell it when I want to. What's wrong with me? huh.gif blink.gif

As far as the Halloween update goes, I have a friend who I think would love Samhain 2007 and maybe I'll just get it for her as her birthday is shortly after that. She loves autumn and I have threatened to enable her off and on.

Pumpkin III looks good, although perhaps too foody. Usually I don't mind foody at all, however. I'm tempted by Pumpkin V as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.