Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Academia nuts
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Working Grrls
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
sybarite
Bunnyb, what the others have said... and try to unify the papers iwith the info given into the theme of the panel. A short but detailed paragraph should do it.

Maryjo (nice to see you here!), at the risk of being too literal, I would just make sure your abstract is well structured. It's an overview; give a prose outline with your points succinctly made rather than cutting and pasting. Back away from the involved theory... for now anyway. smile.gif

I am glad to see this thread busy again! Self-appointed chapter draft submission deadline for me next week, and meeting with advisors re. previous chapter on Monday.
maryjo
I submitted the abstract... I have a kind-of-a unofficial mentor, a professor I know from the internets, who is involved with the organisation of the conference and she liked what I had come up with, so I feel pretty good about it. She also asked me to be on a roundtable at the same conference, so I feel all professional and stuff now!

I'm here because I have too many papers to write, Syb... nice to see you too though! I'm reading sf crit and I keep seeing references that make me think of you wink.gif. I have a ton of secondary literature I need to read even though I know I am not going to make more than the most fleeting use of it in my paper (it's all focused on an aspect of the text I'm working on which is not the aspect I want to emphasise, but I need to be familiar with it), which is what I'm procrastinating about now...
summerbabe
Do you guys mind if an on-the-brink grad student vents in here??

CAUSE I'M GOING COMPLETELY CRAZY!!!!!! I'm in the third month of my new grad program in a boring and way-too-cold city where I don't know anyone and all I do is work work work seriously ALL day! It's non-stop and there's never an end in sight!! I've got research proposal deadlines and papers and presentations every week for my grad courses plus a TA-ship, and I've gotta be ready by May to go to the jungle for 6 months and I'm all stressed about leaving my boyfriend for so long since he's the only thing keeping me sane, and even he lives on the other side of the country! I feel so lonely and overwhelmed and some days I'm so productive but on others I just want to cry!! UGH!!!! I've been planning on going on to get my PhD after this but at this rate I'll be lucky to make it out of my masters alive!

I feel like such a baby for complaining, it's like "welcome to the real world!", but really...
I need a hug sad.gif
mivee
(((summerbabe)))
as a first-year grad student, i feel you. so. much. work.
no coherent advice to give, but a virtual, empathetic hug
stargazer
(((summerbabe))) you have every right to be here in this thread. and, no, you are not complaining. there is alot to juggle, which is made difficult when you don't have a nearby support system to make you feel good. grad school does take a toll on you and your loved ones. i had to put so many things on hold or the backburner to finish my doc. good luck with all of your deadlines!

sybarite~yeah, i'm glad this thread is up and running again too. but, i'm sure all of the academia nuts are working with deadlines right now to be writing in here. i'm so glad i'm done with my classes...
faerietails
((((summerbabe)))) The first year of grad school is rough and can definitely be overwhelming, but it really does get better! One of the first things my thesis advisor (the program chair) told us when we first entered is that she cried every day of her first semester of grad school! I know how it is, though. I'm also on the other side of the country away from everyone I know, and there are times where all I want to do is cuddle up in bed with my dog (also on the other side of the country). And it's hard because it's just sooo different from undergrad. But the second semester is better than the first, and the second year gets a lot easier, too. You can do this! *more hugs*
summerbabe
thanks mivee and (dr.) stargazer, it's so good to read about other people going through the same things, it makes me feel slightly less crazy! It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't hate this city so much :P
oceandessa
Summerbabe - First of all, hugs to you. Secondly, unfortunately what you're going through is normal. I had a mini nervous breakdown my first term of grad school. I think the problem for me was that I really did feel like a glorified undergrad, doing double the course work and the TAing while I was supposed to be doing "more important" work. I don't know what to tell you except that things got a lot better as time passed by. I think stress management is key - you need to have at least an hour to yourself a day where you take a bath or do some excercise or something. It also helped me to have a really good cohort to make friends with and to seek support from.

I think one important thing I learned in that term was that deadlines are very flexible. If I couldn't get a paper in on time, then I asked for deadline and the world wouldn't end. This was a blessing.
grenadine
hey there, all you academic busties...

i couldn't resist sharing this quote from one of my students' papers:

"The trifecta of nefarious afflictions that bejeweled Hitler's mind discussed here can no longer linger in the shadows of doubt or be cast aside as illegitimate bastard ideas..."

i don't know whether to laugh or cry. but i have to laugh!
sassygrrl
Hello. I was wondering if any of you lovely busties knew of any good programs dealing with MA in communication disorders/speech pathology? Should I just try the special education field, and go from there? Thanks for all help!

go_kayte
I'd just like to say *FINALS WEEK UGHHHH!!!!*
I have one more left, analog circuit design. I'm so full of coffee and equations I'll burst.
stargazer
good luck go_kayte!
sybarite
Happy New Year! Is anyone else struggling with getting back into their work now the holidays are over?

I have a clear four months to write at least 2 chapter drafts from scratch. I have a definite shape for both; I just have to get my ass into gear.

Oh, and grenadine, cheers for that terrifying quote awhile back, it made me laugh. Surely there's enough misused jargon out there without throwing words like 'bejeweled' into the mix?
go_kayte
I started my grad school application today. I don't have a great GPA, and I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I have the support of two engineering faculty members and the chair of history (who I work for). I have to write a "statement of purpose"... Any academic busties have tips on that? I have no idea what they want from me.
sybarite
Go kayte... I'm in cultural studies so know zilch about engineering. Did they stipulate a word count, and does the statement refer to a proposed thesis or your proposed programme in general?

Generically speaking, I would draw up a succinct paragraph or two outlining and emphasising the strongest elements of your study/experience so far and make suggestions about how you would expand your knowledge/experience in those areas at the college/s you're applying to. If you can, customise the statement of purpose for each college. Write clearly and to the point: good pithy writing is always a selling point. Good luck!
go_kayte
Thanks sybarite. They didn't give any info or guidelines at all. I'm applying to a different department, same college as my bachelor's so maybe an explanation of why I'm switching would be good. I procrastinated on the application and the deadline is jan 15 for fall 07 enrollment so I've gotta really slam it out.
bunnyb
*breathes life into thread*

how's everyone doing? I am loving having a break from education/academia (after graduating from Masters) but need to start work on my teaching application... I have to write a personal statement and it has been many years since my original for higher education, does anyone have any tips?
oceandessa
I have just started to write my thesis (in paper form), and the stress is KILLING ME!
But the end is near, oh yes it is!
faerietails
oceandessa, we're in the same boat! i was freaking out last semester with my topic change and all, but i really got it together over winter break and came up with 30 pages worth of outline. woot! but now that i have to actually sit here and write it, i'm dying!
lapis
QUOTE(bunnyb @ Jan 31 2007, 07:58 AM) *

*breathes life into thread*

how's everyone doing? I am loving having a break from education/academia (after graduating from Masters) but need to start work on my teaching application... I have to write a personal statement and it has been many years since my original for higher education, does anyone have any tips?

Good luck with your statement. One thing that seemed to help me get into grad school in terms of the statement was coming up with specific ways I was going to be in the program--trying to match up my skills with their offerings, kind of like imagining you're the perfect team. For example, talking about special things about a program that make it unique that you can build on or contribute to, and places you could really expand. That kind of thing can help show them a picture of you being there and help them recognize your special talents in conjunction with their strengths. But I haven't applied to teach (yet) so maybe it's completely different.
whitelightning
good luck with your applications, bunnyb...sometimes it helps to keep thinking of the big picture of your goal. it can be overwhelming when we're so mired in the paperwork.

...speaking of being mired, i have a feeling i'm about to crack or just scrap my whole goal of becoming a nurse. i can't begin to describe my feelings of defeat, i'm not being hyperbolic here. i am really having a hard time with this. the prerequisites are different for almost EVERY SINGLE SCHOOL i'm applying to (which is only three!) and they keep CHANGING their already-haphazard prereqs. now my bio course is no good because it didn't cover *genetics* and i just found out i need statistics if i'm applying for the accelerated program, not the regular BS program, etc....i could bore you all with it. but i definitely feel out of control. it's ridiculous...i'm a straight A student and my odds of getting accepted to a nursing program this year are like, 1 in 10 at best.

i have a better chance at winning powerball.

sorry for the rant...keep up the good work, everyone!
yemaya
QUOTE(whitelightning @ Feb 8 2007, 07:15 AM) *

good luck with your applications, bunnyb...sometimes it helps to keep thinking of the big picture of your goal. it can be overwhelming when we're so mired in the paperwork.

...speaking of being mired, i have a feeling i'm about to crack or just scrap my whole goal of becoming a nurse. i can't begin to describe my feelings of defeat, i'm not being hyperbolic here. i am really having a hard time with this. the prerequisites are different for almost EVERY SINGLE SCHOOL i'm applying to (which is only three!) and they keep CHANGING their already-haphazard prereqs. now my bio course is no good because it didn't cover *genetics* and i just found out i need statistics if i'm applying for the accelerated program, not the regular BS program, etc....i could bore you all with it. but i definitely feel out of control. it's ridiculous...i'm a straight A student and my odds of getting accepted to a nursing program this year are like, 1 in 10 at best.

i have a better chance at winning powerball.

sorry for the rant...keep up the good work, everyone!

Hi whitelighteneing…funny you should mention about an accelerated BSN course (for those who have a BS/BA but not in Science or nursing) because I have seriously considering pursuing that level of study in conjunction with my Masters that I am currently working, based on speaking with several RN’s and the degree of flexibility work and career wise

Accelerated programs definitely vary from school to school, but what I have noticed about the 4 schools that I am considering is that they want you to have the basic Science courses out of the way before they will consider your application like Anatomy, Biology, Chemistry with labs are the biggies. This is probably the hardest part of the application process, if you don’t have their science preqrequistes. One advisor told me that you should squeeze in as many science courses as you can before the deadline, since they award points based on subject criteria. You should try to get an appointment with an advisor/information session for the schools you are interested so that you have precise information on their application process and what they are looking for.

I think if you have a strong GPA, have good grades in your science courses, and do well on the NET (or whatever Nurse examination your school employs), personal statement of intention, etc. you should be fine.

I don't know where you live, but due to the shortage of nurses already, at least around here, they want students, again I think you should be fine. Also consider MSN programs and programs not in your state.

Also did you check out http://www.discovernursing.com/? They have a lot of good information.

Now if someone can give me any study hints on Research Statistics, you’ll be my savior.
whitelightning
yemaya, what are you getting your master's in (i know that's not gramatically correct but i never know how to ask that question...!)? i know UC san francisco has an accelerated master's program in nursing for those of us with previous degrees. most of these programs are ultra-competitive, as i'm sure you know. i live in portland, oregon and am applying to a couple of 2-year associate RN programs, as well as the BSN and accelerated BSN programs at OHSU. i just received a discouraging email from the latter...apparently, i also need statistics to be considered for it (in addition to that wily bio w/genetics) - what kills me is that i worked my course plan out with an advisor at my community college almost a year ago. the prereqs have also changed and i can't be grandfathered in b/c there are simply too many qualified applicants.

so OHSU tells me i should seek out a statistics course online or something so that my "$120 application fee doesn't go down the tubes." but my problem is that i can't find a quick course to take that will be covered by financial aid - and, truth be told, my math skills suck, so going into statistics so blindly might not yield the best grade, which is a huge factor to consider.

i'm so confused. i told them i'd like to meet with an advisor at some point and they told me they DON'T MEET WITH PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS due to the sheer # of people interested in their programs.
so now i don't know what to do...should i scramble to find some online statistics course to be considered for the accelerated program that only has 27 spots open anyway? or should i stay on my steady course, take my prereq for statistics and bio w/genetics in the spring and then statistics in the summer, throwing my $120 application fee down the drain? i should also note that i applied to OHSU's regular 3-year BSN program, which doesn't require statistics or bio w/genetics.

whoa. sorry for such a convoluted post. but i guess since i can't meet with a human being about my options, you'll all just have to be my interim advisors rolleyes.gif .

thanks for letting me vent.

hope this doesn't discourage you, yemaya.
yemaya
QUOTE(whitelightning @ Feb 13 2007, 07:34 PM) *

yemaya, what are you getting your master's in (i know that's not gramatically correct but i never know how to ask that question...!)? i know UC san francisco has an accelerated master's program in nursing for those of us with previous degrees. most of these programs are ultra-competitive, as i'm sure you know. i live in portland, oregon and am applying to a couple of 2-year associate RN programs, as well as the BSN and accelerated BSN programs at OHSU. i just received a discouraging email from the latter...apparently, i also need statistics to be considered for it (in addition to that wily bio w/genetics) - what kills me is that i worked my course plan out with an advisor at my community college almost a year ago. the prereqs have also changed and i can't be grandfathered in b/c there are simply too many qualified applicants.

so OHSU tells me i should seek out a statistics course online or something so that my "$120 application fee doesn't go down the tubes." but my problem is that i can't find a quick course to take that will be covered by financial aid - and, truth be told, my math skills suck, so going into statistics so blindly might not yield the best grade, which is a huge factor to consider.

i'm so confused. i told them i'd like to meet with an advisor at some point and they told me they DON'T MEET WITH PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS due to the sheer # of people interested in their programs.
so now i don't know what to do...should i scramble to find some online statistics course to be considered for the accelerated program that only has 27 spots open anyway? or should i stay on my steady course, take my prereq for statistics and bio w/genetics in the spring and then statistics in the summer, throwing my $120 application fee down the drain? i should also note that i applied to OHSU's regular 3-year BSN program, which doesn't require statistics or bio w/genetics.

whoa. sorry for such a convoluted post. but i guess since i can't meet with a human being about my options, you'll all just have to be my interim advisors rolleyes.gif .

thanks for letting me vent.

hope this doesn't discourage you, yemaya.

Hi whitelithening…you definitely have some obstacles that I have not run into even though the nursing programs are also competitive. One of the advisors that I have begun the application with stated that she would even be willing to accept “unofficial” transcripts in order to review them and note which classes would be acceptable and which ones are needed to join the program. I think I have a very good chance of getting to at least 2 of the 4 that I am considering. Genetics is not a required component in ANY of the programs that I am looking at. None. And this if for general Biology with labs?

Statistics SUCKS. I am really struggling with this class and I don’t have any stats experience and I am taking it online in addition to the courses that I have to attend face to face. Therefore, unless you have previous experience in STATS (or any advanced math experience), are very disciplined, then it may not be a good idea to take an online class. If you are willing to take up the challenge, make sure you review and add supplemental material to your required textbook, find a good tutor (if you can afford one-I can’t) then you may be all right.

I am ironically taking my Masters program in Mental Health COunsueling. As corny as it sounds, I have a gift for Empathy, I am extremely Sensitive, so I feel that this profession would utilize these talents best. Plus some of the issues and abuse I suffered would help others.

Your right. The process you are dealing with is convoluted, but I admit I am aghast, because once again, there is already a nurse shortage and it is getting worse, therefore I have seen people getting accepted into programs in which they were hardly stellar100% Perfect students. Maybe it’s the South.

I think you are on the right track by applying to the three year program, if the accelerated venture doesn’t work, but since you mentioned that you are pretty much concentrated in Portland Oregon, then competition is probably very fierce. Have you considered other schools in California? Again maybe you should consider programs in other states. I am looking at an MSN program at UMASS Worcester which sounds intriguing, although you do have to take the GRE.

I am still perfectly aghast the burecratic crap you have to deal with. People should be rolling the red carpet out for potential nurses who are earnestly trying to get into Nursing School not discouraging them.
yemaya
QUOTE(yemaya @ Feb 14 2007, 03:50 PM) *

Hi whitelithening…you definitely have some obstacles that I have not run into even though the nursing programs are also competitive. One of the advisors that I have begun the application with stated that she would even be willing to accept “unofficial” transcripts in order to review them and note which classes would be acceptable and which ones are needed to join the program. I think I have a very good chance of getting to at least 2 of the 4 that I am considering. Genetics is not a required component in ANY of the programs that I am looking at. None. And this if for general Biology with labs?

Statistics SUCKS. I am really struggling with this class and I don’t have any stats experience and I am taking it online in addition to the courses that I have to attend face to face. Therefore, unless you have previous experience in STATS (or any advanced math experience), are very disciplined, then it may not be a good idea to take an online class. If you are willing to take up the challenge, make sure you review and add supplemental material to your required textbook, find a good tutor (if you can afford one-I can’t) then you may be all right.

I am ironically taking my Masters program in Mental Health COunsueling. As corny as it sounds, I have a gift for Empathy, I am extremely Sensitive, so I feel that this profession would utilize these talents best. Plus some of the issues and abuse I suffered would help others.

Your right. The process you are dealing with is convoluted, but I admit I am aghast, because once again, there is already a nurse shortage and it is getting worse, therefore I have seen people getting accepted into programs in which they were hardly stellar100% Perfect students. Maybe it’s the South.

I think you are on the right track by applying to the three year program, if the accelerated venture doesn’t work, but since you mentioned that you are pretty much concentrated in Portland Oregon, then competition is probably very fierce. Have you considered other schools in California? Again maybe you should consider programs in other states. I am looking at an MSN program at UMASS Worcester which sounds intriguing, although you do have to take the GRE.

I am still perfectly aghast the burecratic crap you have to deal with. People should be rolling the red carpet out for potential nurses who are earnestly trying to get into Nursing School not discouraging them.

Also white lightening…after going over your post again…the community college who structured your course plan.they may have been following a plan that a 2 year ADN program would accept not a BSN or accelerated BSN. Thus it may actually be all right to get into the ADN program because you will still be a registered nurse. Then have the hospital or clinic pay for your Accelerated BSN tuition.

I have met a wonderful nurse (an impromptu role model) who does not have Bachelors (20 years in the game), she works in laser hair clinic now making a tremendous amount of money, without the stress, but when she worked in hospitals she was making at least 80,000 with stress. She was a specialized nurse, though working in osteopathic, and then she was a surgical nurse, but still, she was doing super great without a Bachelors and she still is.

So you might want to take a breather and decide if the accelerated BSN track is worth the aggravation right now, especially when you already applied to the longer more traditional program and the ADN programs in your home state. NO matter what you will still be a Registered Nurse. You still have to take RN exam just like the accelerated crowd. And you will still making more money, you just may not be able to hold supervisory positions and run departments without a BSN and in some cases an MSN.

Of course keep your options open should you decide to stay in Oregon but don't be disappointed if you don't get into the acelerated program. I want to get my schooling done as quickly as I can too, but it just may take awhile. You're smart for even wanting to take on this behemouth called nursing.
whitelightning
yemaya, thank you so much! i love what you said about rolling out the red carpet for potential nurses - i'm not one for feelings of entitlement, but i must say...the powers that be are certainly making it difficult for people to enter the profession. the problem is not that there aren't enough people applying to the programs, but that there aren't enough *instructors*. so, as the nursing shortage continues to proliferate, older nurses are retiring and not enough new nurses are being churned out b/c no one's around to teach them - the older, more experienced RNs are either retired or making more $$ at a hospital.

i think it's great that you're getting your master's in mental health counseling and you'll have so many opportunities with that in nursing! psychiatric nursing, forensic nursing...it's so flexible. and being caring and empathetic is crucial to becoming a nurse (something these lottery-based programs don't ensure...)

i am open to moving to different places; however, i just "settled" into life in portland after moving around a bit and i have my friends and boyfriend here. i love this town! but i'm still open to it. california is a more viable option, mainly because i've lived there before. but many of their nursing programs are going the way of the lottery system. i'll see what i can still apply for this year, and just apply *everywhere* next year and see where fate leads me.

oh. i officially withdrew my application for the accelerated program. you're absolutely right - why kill myself over this beaurocratic bullshit? i'd probably have a better chance of getting my BSN once i'm an RN, so why not wait? i also found out yesterday that i'll need to take math 95 before i take math 111C, which is the prereq for statistics. so....i won't be done with this until the fall (completely different from what i had worked out with the advisor - who did, in fact, know that i was applying to BSN and accelerated programs). according to that plan, i would be done at the end of this term. blink.gif

yemaya
Great whitelightening. It’s really counterproductive trying to push yourself into the Accelerated if you have to work 1000% harder then the rest of the applicants. If you must settle for one of the ADN programs, as I Said you can still become an RN, make a lot of bank and then apply for those RN to BSN programs if you really see your self doing supervisory work and going into business on your own, in future. Still I don’t think you should have any difficulty getting into the traditional BSN program if that is where your heart really is.

Great that you are going to keep your geographical options open. I think California has a really great public university system, so you have plenty of options down south.

Please update your progress and I wish you the best of luck.

Regards
Y
whitelightning
thanks, yemaya! i will definitely keep you posted. and if i hear anything about programs for mental health nursing, i'll send info your way. and although i have a 4.0 GPA (maybe 3.8 combined with my previous degree, i'm not sure) and volunteer at a homeless clinic, my chances of getting into the 3 year program is still about 1 in 10, due to the competitiveness. and i've only got one thing against me...years ago, i was arrested for a misdemeanor, although not convicted. but in choosing between qualified applicants, i doubt they're going to want to take me, with my badass rap cool.gif

are there any other pre-nursing students on here?
yemaya
QUOTE(whitelightning @ Feb 16 2007, 02:36 AM) *

thanks, yemaya! i will definitely keep you posted. and if i hear anything about programs for mental health nursing, i'll send info your way. and although i have a 4.0 GPA (maybe 3.8 combined with my previous degree, i'm not sure) and volunteer at a homeless clinic, my chances of getting into the 3 year program is still about 1 in 10, due to the competitiveness. and i've only got one thing against me...years ago, i was arrested for a misdemeanor, although not convicted. but in choosing between qualified applicants, i doubt they're going to want to take me, with my badass rap cool.gif

are there any other pre-nursing students on here?

Again, with your academic and community qualifications, they would be absolutely preposterously stupid not to accept you, even with your legalistic quirkiness. I know you would have no problem getting into a program down here and my cumulative GPA is not A + perfect- its 3.8 and I feel confident in my choicees.

Still, I was doing a search for my own benefit and I came across this website/forum (if you haven't already found it then ignore the rest of this post) which looks very active and seems to have a lot of useful information. http://allnurses.com/forums/index.php. I just lurk, there I don’t post. The posters there will proabably be able to answer your questions much better .

There is even a forum for Oregon Nurses. http://allnurses.com/forums/f169/ and there is a section for Nursing Student with a subsection of pre-nursing students.

Good Luck.
whitelightning
thanks - actually, i have been to allnurses.com, but mostly as a lurker (can't remember if i posted anything). i remember they had a thread about legal issues....mostly, people were wondering if their assault/DUI/possession past would jeopardize the RN licensure they already had. so i should be in the clear!! i had a measly (totally unwarrented) charge of "disorderly conduct".

i think we're monopolizing/killing this thread laugh.gif
yemaya
Ok.
anarch
The Romantic Life of Brainiacs
"College-educated, highly successful women have long had a reputation for marrying less (and having lousier sex). But in a historic reversal of past trends, these women now triumph in matrimony"

article by historian Stephanie Coontz, author of the fantastic book Marriage, A History: How Love Conquered Marriage
yemaya
Very good article. I think that man might be willing to acquiesce to an intelligent mate for economics pragmatism. I think now, in an atmosphere of increasingly high cost of living and flucuating economic insecurity a man with a solid middle class income is less likely to worry about supporting a SAHM and one or more children then ages past. It was been shown historically that the growth of a nation which supposedly supports egalitarian values is more likely to prosper when women enter the workplace. Of course Social and Emotional intelligence were not discussed or the power of wisdom, but I understand the focus on educational and income levels since that is data that is easy to collect and correlate.

I didn’t understand the paragraph of Black Women though. There are a slew of educated Black women that lower their marriage prospects by simply living with a man or who dates someone who makes significantly less than they do. Seeing as there is an income and educational disparity among Black men and women Black woman , due to social obstructions that are different from the majority, we (in general) are the group least likely to look at interracial marrying prospects then other races, even though the trend may be increasing slightly in large megalopolises, however, and I never saw an interest of highly educated non-Black men for highly educated Black women who were not White, Asian, or Hispanic as the New York times engagement section illustrates.

In regards to the egghead male with low sex drive, I read an article in Discover which talks about a service http://www.sciconnect.com/ that attempts to bring like minded Science oriented braniacs together, and what was interesting about some of the comments that the Women posted was that many of the men were looking for women significantly younger then themselves. The article does not touch on this level of frustration among women who want relationships but are cut off due to age prospects. Also the dot.com era shows that geeks like Bill Gates are great earners, thus you don’t have to be the archetype J.R or Donald Trump who display testosterone driven corporate raider tactics to snag highly “accomplished” women.

Still this me brings back the other trend of successful men or simply men with solid incomes who do feel threatened by intelligent, successful women and are looking to the second and third world such as Russia, Eastern Europe, Thailand, Cuba, and Columba, to bring back brides who are willing to play the more traditional role.

Also using Massachusetts as her supporting point on braniacs may be somewhat skewed, simply because there are so many venerable academic institutions there that actively attracts branicas, male or female, so of course you will bound to have a well-educated female population overall. In addition, Massachusetts along with Vermont, Maine and New Jersey are some of the top states that have the highest income levels, which directly ties in to higher educational levels.

I think her central point for women is valid and for which I myself admittedly worry about, the older I get. Women should not dumb down her abilities or wait for a knight in shining armour to rescue her economically. It is best to continuing pursuing your dreams; you just may get the ring your thirties and forties instead of your twenties.
lux
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but since there no longer is a thread for Canadian busties I'll try here.
The thing is that I've applied to take a semester in Queen's University in Kingston, ONT as a part of my BA in Women's studies. Now I've started towonder if I should accept the place, since I don't really know anything about the place. I'd be ever so gratefull for any info on if it's worth spending four months there, what kind of a place is it to live, is the education any good? Thanks, and sorry if I'm completely in the wrong place.
bunnyb
lux, there is still a Canadian BUSTies thread (it's in F&F, not far down) but there's no harm asking in both threads.
lux
oops! so it is. beeing away from here for a long time also causes blindnes:)
Alotta Errata
*knocking on screen*

hello? anyone still come in here? Anyone else writing a masters thesis? applying to PhD programs?
funnybird
I'm (still) doing my MA: about to start term 7... *sigh*
I have a 20,000 word dissertation due in in January.
How about you alotta? (Love the name!)
Alotta Errata
I'm finishing my MA in sociology this year... should be done in May. The school I am at now does not offer a PhD, so I'm also in the process (though not as far along as I'd like) of applying to PhD programs.

My thesis is focusing on how shopping malls are racialized spaces, and how teens (both caucasian and minority) make sense of it and how it affects their socialization, views, self image etc.
sybarite
Alotta, your thesis topic sounds great. Is that for your current MA or your proposed Ph.D?

If you haven't already read it can I suggest Mike Davis' City of Quartz; he writes about exactly what you describe. Meaghan Morris' essay on shopping malls would also be good for general context: it's very much from that postmodern moment of cultural studies.

And cheers for kickstarting the thread!
Alotta Errata
Thanks for the heads up on Davis, I haven't read that yet. I just got through a great ethnographic study on how kids and tweens view and deal with consumption in the "inner city" areas of New Haven, CT. It's for my current MA program, though depending on my findings it might turn into a dissertation. I'm also interested in green consumption and consumption and religion, especially cognitive dissonance experienced by christian consumers. So many interesting topics, so little time!
lananans
QUOTE(lux @ Mar 6 2007, 07:49 AM) *
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but since there no longer is a thread for Canadian busties I'll try here.
The thing is that I've applied to take a semester in Queen's University in Kingston, ONT as a part of my BA in Women's studies. Now I've started towonder if I should accept the place, since I don't really know anything about the place. I'd be ever so gratefull for any info on if it's worth spending four months there, what kind of a place is it to live, is the education any good? Thanks, and sorry if I'm completely in the wrong place.

I was just going to respond to this, then I realized that its in March and lux has most likely made her decision... but I do go to Queen's University! haha. It's pretty cool.

Also, I don't suppose anyone on here would know much about Memorial University in Newfoundland? I'm thinking about applying there for graduate studies in History. I'm also considering other Master's programs, in either History or Journalism. I'm also taking the LSAT on Saturday, but I don't know if I want to go to law school. My parents want me to go to law school. It's all very confusing right now. Is doing a Master's really beneficial? Or should I just get a job? I need advice.
dj-bizmonkey
hello out there? anyone else wallowing in the mire of a PhD program? i just got reamed by my advisor today....sigh.....sometimes i just want to drop out and drive a schoolbus or work in an ice cream shop. that could be satisfying too, right?
lananans
I'm currently doing my BAH, in History. Not a PhD, but still university... I'm thinking about applying to do a Master's in History, but everyone is always like "aaand what do you plan to do with that?", and I don't really have a response. So i guess my question is, is it worth it? Or should I just try and get a job?

I am also very sick of school at the moment. But I'm almost done. 5 more months!
sybarite
I too am embroiled in a Ph.D thesis, currently rewriting having submitted a full (-ish) draft. I have been repeatedly tempted to throw it all in and become a waitress (um, again) but the end is in sight. What I find hardest is the relative isolation (no-one wants to hear about your topic for hours at a time), the financial penury and the ongoing insecurity job-wise. I know that's selling it to you people... tongue.gif

On the other hand, I really (still) enjoy my work and find it fulfilling in a way nothing else is (maybe teaching, but that has its own stresses too, and its increasingly based around dealing with over-entitled undergrads IMO). It's a gift to work at something you love and that's what keeps me going.

Lananans... I'm not sure what to tell you. As I understand it, history in particular is an overcrowded and competitive field in academia, especially in the US. It's also really specialised, meaning you run the risk of qualifying yourself out of any other kind of work unless you have wide work experience.

On the other hand, an MA in history may help you get curatorial posts or other work in museums, maybe archive work (although you would also need a diploma for that). What might help is thinking about the kind of jobs you want and working backwards...

DJ Biz, I'm certainly no stranger to 'constructive criticism' from my advisors, but it can still sting. Do you and your advisor generally get along, share similar perspectives?
lananans
I think what I'll end up doing is applying for Masters programs, seeing if I get in, and then make my decision. And I'll keep up the post-grad career search. I like how you say there are 'over-entitled undergrads', because in my seminar the other night someone tried to make the case for the United States being worse than the Soviet Union because of civil rights. I was just like, "hello, Red Terror?" Some people just think they know everything, and that is usually combined with an extreme liking of hearing themselves speak. Bah.
faerietails2
lananans, i just got my MA in women's history, and let me tell you, the job market is ROUGH. i haven't heard so much as a peep from any of the schools i've applied to adjunct lecture at (then again, i'm in the nyc area and competition around here is fierce since everyone has a MA). i wanted to teach at a community college or something while i saved up a little cash for my plunge into PhD hell tongue.gif, but since i haven't found ANY jobs, i'm in the process of applying to another graduate program right now, this time for my MLS. i know i can find work as a librarian or archivist, it just sucks that i have to spend more time and money to do it.

my heart is in academia, so i'll still shoot for the phd. it just won't be any time soon. not to freak you out or anything! i know if i moved to another area, i could probably find work as an adjunct. it's just probably not gonna happen here. if you can do some internships during grad school, do them. i'm still kicking myself for not beefing up my experience while i was in grad school.
lananans
Hmmm... an MA in Women's History is sort of what i was thinking about too:P I think I'm probably just going to end up working. As of right now I'm kind of sick of school and can't really see myself wanting to put myself through MORE of it after this year. Who knows. Everything is very confusing right now.
dj-bizmonkey
i'm getting my PhD in physical anthropology (primatology really) and GAH. that's how i feel. i'm getting ready to go fail a statistics test in about an hour. it's fabulous. the thing is, i ended up here because i like doing fieldwork, traveling, being in the jungle. i never thought about having to differentiate between mcnemar's test and a chi square. blegh. it's part of science and i'm supposed to be a scientist, but i can't wrap my mind around these concepts. i keep telling myself that this is finite, if i want to teach i have to do this, and i don't have to be at a research 1 university when i decide. sometimes i wish that i had gone into literature or history......

i think getting your bachelors is more about finding yourself as a person and finding what you love. graduate school is such a commitment, i think you've got to be very passionate about what you are doing. yes, finding a job is scary and it is hyper-competitive out there. but if you REALLY love history (or whatever else) you'll find a way to make it work.

sybarite- my advisor and i get along really well, which sometimes makes it even worse. if she was just a total bitch about everything, then i could write her off. but because we're more on a friendly basis, it feels that much worse when i screw up. i'm constantly questioning if i deserve to be here! i've never felt so dumb in my life. i know i'm being ridiculous, but geez louise. it's only my first semester and i have been living in the jungle for the last two years, soooooo, i guess i should cut myself some slack. i now know what my undergrad advisor meant when he said, 'graduate school is NOT for everyone.'

in the end, i want the knowledge, i want the degree and i'm willing to suffer through biostatistics in order to get it. on that note, i'm off to ace, not to fail this test. gotta think positive.
lapis
I sympathize, dj. 5th year in a doctoral program. hard stuff. but you reach a point where there's more life in front of you beyond the phd and i really want that life, so i continue. it will get easier, then harder. and then you'll know more about your thing than anyone else, and it will feel really good. hang in there, monkey...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.