Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NYC Busties: Does it have to be August to make plans?
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
tyger
Aloha!
I'm apparently spending a week-ish in New York City in August (the middle, I think) Meetup? Suggestions on fun things to do? I'm not only 19, so not legal in the states (le sigh)
humanist77
bump
jemisoutrageous
oooooops. huh.gif I so didn't see this. Please to ignore the asshole thread I just opened for no damn reason.
-Jem
dirtyfrenchnovel
hey nyc busties! on sunday,i'm moving to brooklyn for at least the next three months.
anyone wanna meet up sometime?

jemisoutrageous
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BklynBookClub/

Book Club link...
xxxoooo
girlbomb
I'm going to a great open mic next week -- Faceboyz Open Mic Night. It's every Sunday night at 9pm at Mo Pitkins (34 Ave. A between 2nd and 3rd Streets), and you get eight minutes of stage time for your four bucks. I won't be there tonight, but next week I'm showing up to read a sneak preview of my second book. Anybody who enjoys singing, making music, performing, reading from their diaries, reading from someone else's diaries, blathering, or staring silently at an audience while they shift nervously in their seats should come on down and avail themselves of one of the best hosts and audiences in NYC. Drunks, sluts, and crazy people are always especially welcome!
mouse
hey NYC busties! forgive me for straying from the promotion thread for some, uh, promotion but i wanted to reach a pertinent audience. my friend is in this awesome group the boston league of women wrestlers (B.L.O.W.W.) and they're having a show at coney island this weekend. they are awesome and hilarious and hardcore (don't go expecting a burlesque show for this one, cos even tho it's part of a burlesque festival, it ain't) and if you are into that kinda thing, by all means check them out. here are the details:

The Boston League of Women Wrestlers is performing tomorrow, Saturday 8/18, at Cha Cha's on the fabulous Coney Island Boardwalk. Our show starts at 8pm so get there early.

This is all part of a big rockabilly and burlesque festival that sounds awesome!

Tickets are only $5.00! So this won't hurt anybody's wallet. Come ride the Cyclone and the Breakdance with me before the show!

Here's our lineup:

Happy-go-lucky stewardess Malicious Mile Heidi will be defending the B.L.O.W.W. belt against the scurvy trickster Captain Hook'er.

Major player, Ninja-Ho, takes on our Thunder from Down Under, The Wrathalie.

Susie Screw unleashes metal-head mayhem on nurse Sophie Suture

Skank Williams Jr. and Betty Rage dispute who knows the most about honky-tonk music.

http://www.blowwboston.com
raisingirl
Found it, WB.

Don't know if it matters at this point...?
walkingbitch
See I'm just Special Ed.

Shit. I feel bad for creating a redundant thread now. Should I cross post the message to this one? I hated that crap when I was a MOD many moons ago.

And, how pissed was I? I thought I had typed all the state abbreviations in CAPS, and it looks all sad now. Besides, no one wants to come to my house apparently WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH sad.gif
walkingbitch
cross posted from NY/NJ/CT Tristate Bustie Thread I made because I couldn't find this one...

Sneaks in and looks around...

I hope it was OK to restart this, because I've decided there is no reason why on a Saturday once a month (or every two) I couldn't host a lil get-together brunch action in my Brooklyn apartment with y'all. I'm open to anything. We could do different theme like get-togethers such as liquid brunch one time, jewelry/ clothing exchange where we swap out pieces we no longer want, book club etc.

I just know I'd like to get together with a bunch of you more often than I do, I miss having a group of women that I feel I can converse with on a somewhat adult level, and because our age ranges and interests vary so much, I really enjoy you all....so I figured I'd open up my place if enough people bite.

So who is biting?
raisingirl
Chomp chomp! Yeah, too bad I don't live in NYC.
babydrool
Hi, WB! I live in NYC too and am an active lurker on BustLounge -- used to post more often back in the days. Never got to meet any of the NYC busties during outings because, well ,life always got in the way. Would love to hang out. I live in Manhattan and work in Brooklyn so I'm just a subway ride away... keep me posted on any get-togethers and hopefully I can make it!

By the Way.... What happened to Mandolyn? Anyone know?
faerietails2
Ooh! Fun! That would give me something to do besides...sitting in front of my tv all day long wishing someone would call me with a job interview offer. lol

(LOVE your sig, btw! smile.gif)
fuego_lento
I'd be in as long as it's a Saturday afternoon or Sunday thing. Not like I'm trying to tell you what to do, or anything...
faerietails2
Okay, gals...help me decide!

Have you all gone to the BUST Craftaculars in the past? I want to be a vendor this year, but I don't know if it'll be worth it. The way I see it, it's $225 to get my table, and about another $100 in the cost to make my product (gourmet organic dog/cat treats). So if my products sell at say, $10 a pop for a bag of organic goodies (much less for doggie brownies, etc.), I'll have to sell at least 33 bags to break even.

So first of all, do you think it's worth it, and second...do you think it's worth it? (lol, sorry...I'm a bit tipsy right now and lost my second question.) I mean, I went last year and people were selling soaps and stuff, so obviously they're making enough money to break even. And other people were selling handmade bags for upwards of $50, and they were selling. But dog/cat treats at a craft fair...do you think it's the right audience?

The deadline is Monday, and of course, I'm waiting until the last possible minute to do this...

I've never done this before. But I want to try if I think it won't be a waste of money (I'm kinda poor right now). I think it would be a lot of fun. It's a cool environment to be in.
girlbomb
faerietails, I wish I had some advice for you, but I ain't never been to one of the Craftaculars. Still, your organic treats sound great, and I'd love to get some for my kittehs.

Mostly just barging in here to spam the thread with announcements: Tomorrow night at 7 at the Slipper Room (Ludlow and Stanton), there's a free party for Girls Write Now, an organization that's been pairing at-risk public high school girls with writing mentors for TEN YEARS, to great success -- I'm reading, as is author Tayari Jones, and BUSTy band Royal Pink (featuring editor Emily Rems) is playing. Free! Party! Yay!

Also, I'll be reading at the mid-Manhattan library (40th and 5th Ave.) on Monday, Oct. 29 at 6:30, free -- a sneak peek of the new book, HAVE YOU FOUND HER, due out on Feb. 26 but already available for pre-order on Amazon.

Also, I'd love to hang, get some dim sum, whatevs. And I'm hoping to host another clothing swap after we move in December. Yay, NYC BUSTies.
walkingbitch
RE THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!

Hey all.

Ed and myself were having a discussion about Thanksgiving. Since we aren't getting together with our families, well with exception of my nephew who will be going wherever Ed and myself are, I wanted to know who would be interested in attending
Zuba and Ed's Misfit Thanksgiving Celebration!!!!

There will be food, frivolity, and merriment. I will cooka my ass off. You will come with wine or other imbibables, or snacks, or side dish or dessert. Or you can show up with a recipe and all the ingredients and I'll cook it alongside with everything else.

I'll need to know if I have enough people to do this by Wednesday 11/14/07 this week.

hugs and love
Zuba and Ed
nickclick
who's going to the craftacular this saturday???? i'll be there! shopping, not crafting.
anna k
I'm going, too.
nickclick
whoa, huge crowd at the craft show! i bought a cute pair of mix-and-match floral earrings. a typewriter key necklace for a xmas gift, and got a signed book by amy sedaris. by the way, she's hot!
faerietails2
i should've gotten the book. and the autograph. i'm regretting that now.

i got a cute little kimono-tie long sleeved shirt for my nephew, a bust subscription (10 bucks?! couldn't resist, considering i always buy at barnes and noble), and a coin purse that was knitted out of recycled plastic bags.

i would've gone crazier if i'd had more cash on me, so i guess that's a good thing i forgot to stop by the atm beforehand! lol
Lilith
Aw, Jezebel and I really wanted to go to the Craftacular... but we couldn't at the last minute. Sucks.
mollychan
hey nyc! i need some girly advice.

i've been living here in the city since april, finally got insurance in september, but have yet to register with a primary care physician. i know, bad, but it's really overwhelming when there are so many names that come up when i search my insurance company's website. it's getting to be time for a pap test, but i should probably get an overall checkup anyway. actually, as posted in the general sex questions thread, i am having more urgent reasons for a doc and am trying to get an appointment with planned parenthood this week, but i also need to bite the bullet and just find a normal doctor.

SO, my actual question: can anyone recommend a friendly doctor's office with good female doctors? i don't need just a gynecologist - i'd actually prefer to find a female PCP who will also do pap tests under the same roof - but all recommendations are welcome. if it's a very specific doctor or office that you don't want to post, you can pm me. thank you thank you!

in the meantime, i'm going to suck it up and deal with planned parenthood's wait list... meh.
auralpoison
So I am trying to plan my holiday. I want to rock NYC for a few days before I hop the pond. My friend's movie premiere is the 28th. Who is gonna be around that last week o' Feb? I am considering getting a suite at the Plaza or the Drake & having a mega Bustie slumber party.
sukouyant
If you had a slumber party I would SO want to be there Aural.
I visit my sweetheart in new york all the time so I might make it if it happens if you'd have me.
auralpoison
Um, so seriously. Next week. That big old maggoty apple some of ya'll call home. AP, kickin' ass & takin' names. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
sybarite
Hi all. I have a question about JFK.

If I fly into Terminal 3 and catch a connecting flight at Terminal 4 1 hour 30 mins later, is this enough time to get from one terminal to the next? I'm thinking yes, as I won't be checking bags and the shuttles IME work fairly well, but I'm a little concerned about anything else that could cause a delay.

If anyone has experience of changing terminals to catch a connecting flight at JFK please let me know...
zoya
Hi Sybarite!!

have you booked your whole flight on one airline (or partner airlines) and they have booked it as one big trip? The reason I ask is that if the airlines have booked it that way, then it's a legal connection - which means that the airline has decided that that is sufficient time for a connection - including clearing immigration - and if by any chance you didn't make it (ie: first flight is late, weather, etc) then the airline will book you on the next flight without any charge.

If you've booked two separate flights yourself and they're not on partner airlines that will let you check in at your originating airport all the way through, then 1:30 should be fine to get from one terminal to the other, especially if you don't have checked luggage. But you're going to have to clear immigration and there is no telling what that will be like.

I'd say if you've made two completely different reservations, check in online for the second flight, and print the boarding pass. That will save you having to get to terminal 3 and checking in, and you can get there from terminal 4 and just go to the gate.

Hope this makes sense...
sybarite
Thanks zoya! You told me exactly what I needed to know. I haven't booked yet, thought I'd check JFK logistics first. I'm booking each leg separately, hence the concern. I'm sure I had a 90 minute window to make a connection once or twice in Heathrow, but that was years ago, and I'm never sure how slow US security is going to be.

Cheers for your help, very much appreciated!

/derail
girlbomb
Me again: reading at Bluestockings this Friday, the 21st, at 7pm. Should be a good time -- music by my friend Dana, and the feminist-iest crowd in town. 172 Allen Street, just south of Stanton. Would love to see some of you there!
nickclick
x-posted with the day to remember thread, and i apologize.

we're planning for a november wedding, and i'm so ready to start shopping for a dress. THE dress. i'd love something vintage or new but vintage-y. and less than $500 if possible. any suggestions where to shop in NYC?
ris

Hey, don't know if you found anyone, but for primary care, I go to Dr. Katherine Keil on W14th St - 212 206 6560. she might do paps, but I'm not sure. It's a small office. She's very sweet and seems to genuinely care. I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes to see her.

For gyno, I go to Dr. Zoe Rodriguez at Union Sq - 212 844 8590

Good luck!

QUOTE(mollychan @ Jan 7 2008, 02:59 AM) *
hey nyc! i need some girly advice.

i've been living here in the city since april, finally got insurance in september, but have yet to register with a primary care physician. i know, bad, but it's really overwhelming when there are so many names that come up when i search my insurance company's website. it's getting to be time for a pap test, but i should probably get an overall checkup anyway. actually, as posted in the general sex questions thread, i am having more urgent reasons for a doc and am trying to get an appointment with planned parenthood this week, but i also need to bite the bullet and just find a normal doctor.

SO, my actual question: can anyone recommend a friendly doctor's office with good female doctors? i don't need just a gynecologist - i'd actually prefer to find a female PCP who will also do pap tests under the same roof - but all recommendations are welcome. if it's a very specific doctor or office that you don't want to post, you can pm me. thank you thank you!

in the meantime, i'm going to suck it up and deal with planned parenthood's wait list... meh.

vesta
Hellooo! Can I just say that I am SUPER stoked about the Anniversary party on the 12th! Just wanted to pose a quick question to anyone who knows the public transporation system in Manhattan/Brooklyn fairly well: I'm going to be coming in from Jersey for the big event and just wanted to know if there was a realtively quick way for me to get there using Public trans. Thanks!
anna k
Me too. I definitely want to go.
vixen_within
Hm I'm going to be in new york this weekend (not the 12th-weekend unfortunately)
What's happening y'all?
vixen_within
Did anyone go to the Bust Party?
anna k
I wanted to, but I had some personal problems and couldn't go. I was disappointed.
Jezebel
Lilith and I went. We had a good time, but then it's kinda hard to go wrong with goodie bags and free subscriptions and cocktails and busties and a great view of NYC wink.gif

http://evilslutopia.com/2008/08/bust-15th-...sary-party.html
MissE13
Does anyone know where non-photo booth pictures from the party can be found? There were a few people taking pics during the pre-party, but it was so loud I couldn't hear the name of the website they said their pics would be posted on.

Thanks!
girlbomb
Hey, NYC ladies, I'm throwing a women-only clothing swap and benefit screening of the Showtime documentary "Very Young Girls," to benefit GEMS, an organization that helps girls leave the sex trade. It's on Sunday, Jan. 4 at 5pm -- email me for details if you'd like to be on the guest list. Should be rocking -- hope to see some of you there!
futura
Hi all.

This January i will be visiting NYC along with 2 of my friends. I'm really excited about it; i was in NYC in 04 and i look forward to going back.
I was wondering if you guys might have advice on things like where to go, what to see...

Hope your benefit turns out well, Girlbomb!
vixen_within
Does anyone know of any worthwhile exhibits or shows happening in Brooklyn or Manhattan this weekend? I want to hang out with a girlfriend here, but we're stuck for something to do/see.
anna k
There's a series of photographs by Eudora Welty at the Museum of the City of New York, plus a Marc Chagall exhibit at the Museum of Biblical Art. There's also the Dance on Film festival at Lincoln Center. You can check out Time Out New York or The Village Voice for more things to do.
vixen_within
Thanks Anna K
vixen_within
Is anyone going to the spring fling?
girlbomb
I'm not going to the spring fling, but maybe other BUSTies will chime in with an affirmative?

In the meantime, I just wanted to drop by and invite all NYC-area BUSTies to a party to celebrate the 10th birthday of an organization called GEMS, which helps girls escape commercial sexual exploitation.

GEMS was the subject of a recent Showtime documentary called "Very Young Girls," a film that starts with the sobering statistic that the average age of entry into the sex trade in the US is thirteen. The film has started to raise greater awareness of the issue of domestic trafficking and commercial sexual exploitation, and celebrities including Beyonce, Ashton & Demi, Ellen, and Diddy have been getting on board the GEMS cause.

Join them in supporting this amazing organization! Pay what you can, and come to the Bowery Poetry Club, 308 Bowery at First St., on Friday, May 8 from 6-10pm for dancing with DJ Jools Palmer, cupcakes by Sugar Sweet Sunshine, a reading by GEMS founder Rachel Lloyd (whose upcoming memoir, ACCEPTABLE VICTIMS, is astounding), and brief readings some of the GEMS girls who have been taking my weekly writing workshop there. I know the girls would LOVE your support!

I'll be reading and hosting, but I'll also be dancing and celebrating! I hope you can come and dance and celebrate too.

Here's the invite: http://tinyurl.com/GEMSparty2
And the Facebook page: http://tinyurl.com/GEMSparty

Please feel free to send the invite to friends!

Thanks. smile.gif
girlbomb
Sorry to be a noodging spammer, but this awesome party for GEMS is tonight, and it would be great to see some of you there.

http://tinyurl.com/GEMSparty

Actually, as past experience has proved, it would be great to see some of you anywhere. Remember, it doesn't have to be August for NYC BUSTies to make plans!
girl_logic
QUOTE(girlbomb @ May 8 2009, 09:46 AM) *

Actually, as past experience has proved, it would be great to see some of you anywhere. Remember, it doesn't have to be August for NYC BUSTies to make plans!

lol
girl_logic
I'm going to be visiting NYC with my moms in three weeks. Is anyone interested in a meet-up? It IS August after all, too.
anna k
I could do a meetup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.