Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yeast infection--experienced advice, anyone?
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
chachaheels
Boric acid beats any of those monistat anti-biotic/anti-fungals out there, hands down, for yeast infections--it's nice to know it helps with bacterial vaginosis too.

Always be sure to test for other similarly-symptomed illnesses so that you know for certain that what you are treating is yeast. Rule out serious diseases such as gonorrhea, and chlamydia. Make sure you get a pap test so that you can rule out any kind of degenerative tissue illness, and cervical cancer. If you test positive for yeast or bacterial vaginosis, the boric acid will work well. But if your symptoms are really something else altogether, then it's best to treat those accordingly.

You can find standard boric acid suppositories at any pharmacy which has a compounding lab. Usually the suppositories come in "lines" of 12, each suppository 600g. of boric acid. You should order 2 weeks' worth of suppositories, and use them at night.

Or, you can purchase powdered boric acid and gel capsules that you can fill yourself and use just like the suppositories. This is a little iffier--it's harder to measure precisely and filling those capsules without a capsule plate gets to be some work...but the suppositories and capsules work so well at alleviating the symptoms and setting things right internally. The monistats, diflucans, etc. etc. merely suppress the symptoms temporarily.

And, yes, daily doses of acidophilus (as long as they are smaller doses, like what you would get from cultured yogurt or cultured butter and raw milk cheeses) won't cause harm. Using the larger doses of acidophilus will create problems with gas and diarrhea, so you must save the use of those varieties of acidophilus for times when they are needed.
kittenb
Considering how many live bacteria or whatever is in acidophilus, what constitutes a large does? I had a very persistant yeast infection that Fluconazole was only kicking back to almost cured until I started taking two pills a day (can't remember the pill size, the instructions were on the bottle.) I also realized that I could eat yogurt now (I thought being lactose intolerant would be a problem but it's not) so I have been having some once a day. Yeast infection all gone! Knock on wood.
little_idiot
omg, is that why I'm so gassy?? I've been taking lots of acidophilus in hopes of keeping any yeasties at bay... maybe taking too much? The stuff I have isn't a very high dose so I've been taking more than what it says to on the bottle...
ohmy.gif
chachaheels
You measure dose in the acidophilus pills by looking at the number of minimum live microorganisms.

A minimum of 12 billion/dose of acidophilus and bifidus is what's usually available in practitioner driven lines--ie lines of products which are used to treat actual pathology...like the yeast infections mentioned here, or digestive trouble such as food sensitivities and allergies. Usually people are sent out to purchase these formulations by an ND, nutritionist, homeopath--and more recently, MDs who prescribe anti-biotics. Many of these high dose products also list specific microflora which address specific problems--not all of the microflora are the same in these preparations, as particular microorganisms address particular health problems.

Anything less than that is meant for ongoing daily use by the general public--not really for treating ailments in digestion or iatrogenic ( in this case, anti-biotic induced) illnesses like yeast. These are meant to maintain a good microflora balance in the gut so that the body can stay healthy.

If you can get a really good quality organic, full fat yogurt or raw milk cheeses and cream, you don't really need to be buying these acidophilus preparations as these foods are natural sources for these beneficial organisms; other fermented foods like kombucha and kvasses also provide the same type of microorganisms for the gut and the same kind of health benefits (but you have to know about them to eat/drink them...and lots of people don't). This might be an option that sounds better for you if you're just interested in maintaining health and vitality, as opposed to treating a particular ailment or avoiding a yeast infection if you're taking anti-biotics for any reason.

Kittenb, your signature is one of the most inspiring, hope giving things I've ever read. Every time I see it, I feel I've been lucky enough to have been reminded of it, at just the right time.
kittenb
A little off-topic, but, thanks chachaheels! I took the quote from a very inspiring friend and I use it to remind myself that as rough as things have felt for me, lately, I can still make new things. It has helped.
Kiffany
I am unable to start a new thread, says I don't have permission, don't know why, maybe cause I am new here.

so I will post here,

I have a burning, no itching in my vagina for a long time now, worse when urinating. Been to several Drs, tests for UTIs, STDs, yeast all come back negative. So they just tell me to use more moisturer like replense.

It seems to come and go. Gets worse then better then worse again. It is really bad if I get aroused. When I do I get this intense burning for several minutes and then start to bleed. My Dr. thinks it is just menstrural fluid being released cause of muscle contracts. This will be in the middle of my cycle, I am on the pill. And it is bright red like a cut or something. She says she sees nothing on my physical exam that indicates any problem.

Any advise/expericence with this?

Thanks

Kiffany
chachaheels
Well, if you test negative for candida, does nothing else come up as a possible cause? Even a urinary infection?

The burning and bleeding on slight friction does sound like some of the symptoms associated with yeast but they also sound like something connected to hormone balance too. If you've used any kind of corticosteroid, any kind of birth control pill...you may be seeing a side effect from the hormonal imbalances these preparations cause. Many times when every test comes back negative, doctors will conclude that the cause is idiopathic but hormonal.

If you've noticed a pattern, what is that pattern? Do you get any other symptoms with it--such as rash, odour, itching? Has your sex partner been tested for yeast or fungal infections?
_octinoxate
Kiffany, I'm puzzled because I've never experienced or even heard of this problem before. It sounds absolutely terrible. It also sounds like it might be helpful to get a second opinion from another doc. Since most of us are slaves to insurance policies, we go to the most available/cheapest doc, but it's probably worth it at this point to shop around, ask around, and find out who's the best in your area. Good luck with this.
Kiffany
No itching, rash, discharge, odor, or anything. My gyno says that my tissues look very healthy. Vaginal swabs look fine with very little white blood cells.

I will get the burning just by being aroused, no physical contact at all. I am trying some OTC yeast infection creams and took a diplican (got another dr. to prescribe it), which seems to help. Could this be a type of yeast?
_octinoxate
It sort of makes sense that a yeastie could make you burn when you get aroused, because that would mean there's extra, ah, moisture in the area... and I've definitely found that getting wet in the shower can make a yeastie burn.

My gyno says that for both yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis it can be helpful to get boric acid capsules (available over the counter) to insert into your vagina for--was it 10 days? Maybe 14. Anyway, that might be woth looking into, since it sounds like it's a more general treatment for vaginal health that could take care of a couple different potential culprits.
chachaheels
I don't think looking for any particular offending organism will necessarily lead to a "yeast" conclusion here--that's why it's so tricky. Your skin could still be suffering from some of the symptoms of yeast or some other fungal infection current lab tests can't detect (because they're really looking for quite specific species). Still, highly sensitive skin, very thin and fragile skin which breaks easily, skin that becomes irritation significantly on arousal: these are all fungal-type symptoms. They're also the kind of symptoms which plague women with hormonal imbalances too (they often result from cortisone cream use).

So that could explain why there are no significant changes in normal white blood cell counts.

Boric acid would be something to try to help ease the irritation; and you may have to take a break from anything that might irritate the tissue for a little while just to give the skin a chance to heal. I don't know if I've said this before, but has your partner tested for any yeast or fungal infection? Partners can be a source of the infection and a source of re-infection as well.
Kiffany
Aw, have had odd thyroid levels for a long time, was referred to an endo, saw her last Friday, I was told I had Graves disease years ago, she thinks its not and that I might have a pitutary tumor and high prolactin levels which would account for the vaginal discomfort

Getting blood work and an MRI of my head this Friday. So scary, my mom had one and almost died before they got it under control.
chachaheels
Kiffany, that sounds so frightening. But the good part of all this is that you may find out what is actually taking place to cause these symptoms, and that will be a BIG step in the right direction towards finally treating this effectively.

Though I know it's really hard, it's not good to worry--I think you're in good hands if your doctor wants to do a round of tests and rule out any possibilities of disease. Once you know more about what is actually going on, then you can take all kinds of measures to handle things well. I see this as such a sign of hope; I hope you do, too.
little_idiot
So this yeastie's been bugging me for a few days. It's not real bad, so I've been trying the tea tree oil tricks I've read about. (A few drops on a tampon and leave it in a few hours) I think it's doing some good, but I've only done it twice, yesterday and today, so it's hard to say. Today I was at Walmart picking up some Azo Yeast pills and I saw this other stuff called Yeast Gard. It's "homeopathic" which the package says means: a pharmaceutical science based on the theory of treating certain conditions with very small diluted doses of similar natural substances. The ingredients are: Pulsatilla, Candida Parapsilosis, Candida Albicans. It's a suppository you use each night for 7 nights. Now, doesn't it seem kind of contradictory to put putting MORE yeast in there when you've already got too much? Has anyone tried this stuff, or something like it? Does it work?
chachaheels
Save your money: that stuff is not homeopathic, and that definition of homeopathy is bogus. That is what is known as a polypharmacy remedy--these are made to take advantage of people who don't know anything about homeopathy, but are desperate to try anything cause conventional medicine can't cure this illness. They're also pushed on health food store owners, MDs wishing to cash in on public interest in alternative medicines, and people who don't want to study homeopathy but wish to sell product to the unsuspecting in their care. They may mean well, but the stuff has never been tested in the human body and they eliminate all means for case management--so you never know if you're getting well on the stuff or getting sicker.

In homeopathy, the medical system is based on a natural law: Like cures Like. Substances which cause symptoms in healthy people can cure those symptoms when they occur in the sick.

The operative word is "can"--meaning this law has to be applied properly; "symptoms" always involves more than just "symptoms of a particular disease", and most importantly, it's got to be individualised to the patient's WHOLE case, not just a few symptoms labelled as a specific disease.

This never boils down to: if candida albicans is present in yeast infections, it can be used to cure yeast! And, anyway, there is a name for this kind of treatment--it's isopathy, not homeopathy. A technicality, I know, but a really significant one that anyone who purports to know about alternative medicines should know well too. Another technicality: isopathy rarely works. That's why there's no medical system known as "isopathic" medicine, but there is a 200 year old one known as "homeopathic medicine". A lot of poorly trained people get these types of medicine confused, but if they've had any clinic training they'd know the difference well, one works every time, the other, never.

If you want to find a homeopathic cure for yeast, then go and see a qualified classical homeopath who would never use such a product on anyone.

If you want something over the counter to help ease your symptoms until you seek out a practitioner to work with in an alternative medical system of your choice, stick to nutritional supplements, topical acidophilus caps or ovules which you can use internally, or tried and true relief providers, like boric acid suppositories you can use for a few days in the meantime. Consider kombucha or kvass drinks as well--they're easy to make, easy to drink, and very effective too. And they won't do any harm, unlike the (I'm betting it wasn't cheap!) polypharmacy remedy above.

hellotampon
I had a yeastie last week (I get one every time I let my boyfriend go down on me- it sucks!), and for some reason I ended up using an over the counter 3-day treatment where you shoot cream up there every night. I don't know why, because normally I go the acidophilus/oregano oil/pau d arco/tea tree route. Before I started the treatment, I was mostly really sore and raw, and my labia felt dry and sorta rubbery- pretty normal symptoms for me. During the treatment the soreness was replaced with a vague itchiness. It's been a few days and I still feel a little off. Are the treatments still "working" or did they just irritate my vagina (this almost feels similar to spermicide irritation) or did it just not really work at all?
_octinoxate
Tampon, I've never used the 3 day, but I have used the one day and that type definitely does not claim to *cure* the yeastie in one day... it's just that the treatment is only one day long, but it still takes a week to get better. I'd imagine the 3 day treatment is the same story.
chachaheels
I think it's too soon to tell, too--at best. But I don't have a lot of faith in those anti-biotic cures like monostat or gynecure or whatever name they're marketed under (they are usually nystatin).

But I'm curious that you get a yeast infection whenever your boy goes down on you--does he have a beard? Is it possible he has a form of thrush in his mouth that he's passing to you, which you may be passing back? It would certainly go a long way to getting rid of a maintaining cause if you could figure out what's bringing on the symptoms this way. You should be able to enjoy oral sex without wondering whether or not it will make you sick.
little_idiot
Thanks Chacha--I was hoping you'd have the answer to this! I figured it was too good/too simple to be true. The stuff wasn't actually that expensive, $3 something, but a waste of money nonetheless I'm sure.

P.S. The tea tree oil apparently wasn't working... I broke down and used a one-day treatment last night, eww. All day at work today I've got this soupy mess leaking out of me and I know it probably won't do any good in the long run, anyway. Grr. Why, oh why, can't I just have a *normal* cooch like I used to??
chachaheels
It's not so much the money for me--it's the misuse of the medicine, and not knowing what the consequences will be. That's what "costs".

LI, have you ever tried the topical acidophilus or the boric acid?
little_idiot
I know what you mean... I hesitate to try different possible remedies because I'm afraid it might cause things to get worse. I did try inserting an acidophilus capsule (the same kind I swallow every day) once when I felt a yeast infection coming on, and I think it might have helped, but then shortly after I got a UTI and I worried that the acidophilus might have caused it, because I very rarely get UTI's and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use some different kind of acidophilus. The boric acid and capsules are in my cupboard but I haven't tried it yet. Despite how much praise the BA treatment gets, I'm still a little scared to try it, I guess just because it seems kind of crazy to me that you shouldn't get it on your hands, but you should put it in your cooch... ya know? I probably will try it next time, but then I wonder what I need to do to replace the good bacteria, etc. that the BA will kill off? Just take acidophilus? Or will my body re-balance itself on its own? I wish there was something, a pill or a suppository or ANYTHING that would just get the pH in balance and allow the body to be normal...
chachaheels
Why shouldn't you get the boric acid on your hands? I have watched lab technicians in a compounding lab who made contact with the substance all the time (they make up the capsules and suppositories). Most of the suppositories I've seen were also meant to inserted by hand, too. They usually come in a strip of 12 little bullet shaped containers--you push one out and insert it. Boric acid may refer to its slightly acidic state--like our own pH level. But I can see how someone would associate the idea of an acid being "corrosive". A lot of women find a great deal of relief from using them, which is good: it buys you some time to actually try and find a real cure for the problem so that it doesn't recur.

Rebalancing the good bacteria--there you have to take a more holistic tack. You have to work on trying to support the whole body. Nutritionally you can do this by adding foods to your diet that you may lack--lactofermented foods like the yogurt with live cultures, raw milk foods and cheeses, they are a good start and people really enjoy them. Butter--especially raw milk butter that's come from an organic source--is especially beneficial in that it helps to eliminate fungal conditions anywhere they occur in the body. Plus it has a bunch of other nutrients and enzymes that help regulate glandular function and hormones. I'm not saying you have to eat spoonfuls of the stuff, but it does help to cut out poor quality fats and oils (like margarines, commercial vegetable oils and canola oils, and other hydrogenated or trans fats) and use butter in your overall diet instead. It also helps to supplement with omega 3 and 6 fatty acids cause we don't get enough of them in our foods and they're really important; and adding other boosts like the kombucha or kvass also helps overall. The other stuff--choosing good foods and food ingredients over processed, packaged, pseudo-foods, for example--all help provide the body with a lot of healthy nutrients and support, so it can function optimally. Over time, but always more quickly than you'd expect, things will "rebalance".

I'm assuming, of course, that you've ruled out maintaining causes--like making sure this is indeed yeast and not a more insidious, serious illness; or considering the possibility that the birth control pill could be at the heart of all the imbalance...
_octinoxate
Little, I've read that it's not a bad idea to buy special slightly acidic soap to wash up your cooch with... normal soap has a higher PH than the vagina does.
little_idiot
So the one-day treatment I used seemed to help for a while... and now as soon as my period's over, the yeast is back. It's not very bad, but still. I tried the tea tree oil again last night, and I've been eating plain yogurt (gag) every morning and taking acidophilus religiously. The yogurt says it contains live active cultures including acidophilus and bifidus and now that I'm *finally* getting used to the taste of it it's not that bad. I think it's helping but still, it's ridiculous how many times I've had yeasties. And yeah, Chacha, I'm pretty positive it's caused by the bc pills because in the 5 years I was on Depo, I had one yeast infection, and since I've been on the pill (a little over 3 years) I've had more yeasties than I care to remember. It's been chronic, every month fighting this shit, for most of the three years. I do use a soap with a slightly acid pH (4.5) but I don't know that it does much to help. Really, if you think about the basics of this business, the vag needs to be at the right pH--if it's too acidic, you get yeast, if it's too basic, you get BV--right? Something along those lines? So I guess I'm too acidic. Oh, and when I talked to my doctor about the chronic yeast, she said she's never heard of yeast infections as a side effect of the pill!! Think it's time for a different doctor?? Sheesh... The thing is, though, there aren't any other acceptable methods of bc for me. I'm on the lowest dose pill I can find, I won't go back on depo, and every other kind of pill will probably still [s]give me varying degrees of this issue. Any hormonal bc is probably bad news. I've thought about a copper IUD but I'm not excited about the heavy bleeding, etc. that would likely come along with it. I hope there might be some great bc breakthrough on the horizon--but until then, I'm stuck with this chronic problem I guess. It usually isn't very severe, just a lot of discharge (white and lumpy) and a little itching/burning. But it interrupts my sex life and make me generally uncomfortable a lot of the time. Argh!

P.S. I read on the BV thread that you should try not to get boric acid on your hands because it makes your skin very dry, or something. I'm going to try it tonight, finally.
chachaheels
LI, I point out a connection between the birth control pill and yeast because hormonal changes, whether they are naturally recurrent in the menstrual cycle or whether they take place because of drugs calculated to add hormones to the body, will make you susceptible to yeast. They will actually make you susceptible to whatever it is that you seem to be vulnerable to. For many women, that means they suffer from a yeast infection on a recurrent basis, when they are most likely to be susceptible to becoming ill.

I guess your doc is nitpicking, because the actual birth control pill won't bring on yeast directly. It simply brings about all the right conditions for you (and many other women) to become susceptible to yeast. In conventional medicine not a lot of thought is given to the concept of susceptibility--so it's easy to miss "cause and effect" relationships between medicines and their effects. Medicines aren't tested to see if they might compromise the whole body in some way and end up making the patient more prone to sickness. That's why no direct link can be established. Lots of women know, however, that sometimes drugs can alter the body's susceptibility so that they become more vulnerable or more prone to any kind of illness or disease as a result of taking the pill. An imbalance in the hormone production in the body will make the body more susceptible to illness; that's not a secret and it is no surprise to anyone. Anything which brings about that imbalance would be responsible for creating the conditions in which illness or disease can take place. For a lot of women, the pill does just that.

Deep seated, fungal conditions like yeast are really systemic illnesses, they aren't just localized in one spot. There are also all kinds of yeast/fungal infections out there--they can be minor like the ones we experience--discharge from the vagina, etc, etcl. The more insidious kind can actually destroy tissue in the heart or lungs and be fatal. I'm just writing this to give you an idea of the extent to which a fungal condition can progress on a chronic level, in someone who is extremely ill. All of them can occur even though the birth control pill is not being used, because anything can make people susceptible.

So, the point is that the acidity or alkalinity level in the body hasn't much to do with yeast infections--it's just one thing which may make you susceptible. And though there are living organisms involved in both the candida and the probiotics people use to deal with candida overgrowth, handling the problem always means more than just taking stuff to wipe out candida or replace the flora that's been destroyed by the candida.
The conditions which allow for the recurrence of this illness still exist; so you need to contend with those conditions before you will see any change in the recurrence of yeast infections.

This takes a little more work because it means that your body has to get over the intrusive effects of the Birth control pill, which takes a lot of time for some women. We don't realise that the pill will have an effect on the entire body's workings, not just on the menstrual cycle; and it takes an extremely healthy and strong, resilient body to recover from those changes.

The best thing to do to really change this susceptibility is to incorporate habits that will support the body's return to full health--and that means a holistic approach as well, as you've got to eliminate things from your life which undermine your strengths as well as support the body so that its ability to fully heal itself is restored. Sometimes this means you've got to change your diet to ensure you're getting the best quality food and the best nutrients (no more processed foods, junk foods, unhealthy diets that force trans fats on you or deprive you of good fats that you need, increased variety, fresh greens and whole grains, etc). Sometimes it means you've got to supplement the diet too--with appropriate exercise and recreation, nutrient supplements to address deficiencies; and always, it means examining your life for other realities that need to change, such as relationships which undermine you as a person. Whenever I learn about ailments that seem to localize in the reproductive or sexual organs, I have to wonder--what are the attitudes and habits that we have about our sexuality, and our sexual relationships? Is the partner good and supportive, or does he/she seem to create or recreate destructive relationships or leave us in any other way unhappy or unfulfilled? You'd be amazed to see how often those realities end up creating the susceptibility for disease or illness which interrupt our sexual expression and our sexual relationships.

There are plenty of things to do to help alleviate the symptoms, like the boric acid suppositories (it's okay to touch these with your hands, they won't dry them out or kill you), or salt water baths (salt water is an excellent way to help ease the itchiness), or taking probiotics. But to get rid of the condition all together, you have to take the approach I mentioned above.
annelise
just saw this thread and was wondering how kiffany is doing... i have a pituitary growth (i call it my "sprout" because it sounds better than "microadenoma"). i have all sorts of crazy hormonal symptoms, so i'm susceptible to all sorts of itchy symptoms, which drive me mad at times.

i've started taking oregano oil--how often/much do people typically take? how long does it take to help? (or, how long should i give it a chance?)
chachaheels
What form of the oil are you taking? What concentration is it in? Why are you taking it--did someone prescribe this to you?
annelise
i'm taking it in supplemental pill form for its antifungal properties--
http://naturesway.com/NaturesWay/productde...productid=15181

i'd bought it a while ago after reading about it, and hearing some busties mention oregano oil as a helpful thing for yeast probs. it's been a year or so, and i've kept it in the refrigerator.

i think it helped a bit then, iirc. but i dont' really remember my research about it from then. i don't have much energy to re-research, but i'd like to take it if it could help. i don't want to take it for too long, because it doesn't seem like it's been studied much. i'll probably just take it for a few days until i can find some further info.
chachaheels
I was going to suggest a pill form rather than the liquid oil form (it really irritates the skin, even on the inside of the mouth). It hasn't been put through many "double blind + placebo" tests, but the oil has been used for thousands of years with a great deal of success for treating various ailments, so we don't have a lot of "studies" but we do have quite a lot of empirical knowledge about it's use and effectiveness. The active ingredient is carvacrol, which actually exists in a number of essential oils (though the oregano one is definitely the fashionable one, at the moment). It has powerful anti-fungal properties and it really should be taken internally for the best results.

I can see from the product write up that the concentration is 2:1 oregano to flax; that's pretty concentrated. You really don't need to take any more than one capsule a day of this formulation, and I would take it with some kind of food so that it isn't "felt" or tasted so easily. As with any botanical product, I'd give it a good three months in total to see what kind of effect it will have. After that time you'll be able to tell whether or not you're improving on it. This should help by eliminating the fungus, but it won't do much, other than maybe help your immune system to react more effectively, regarding the hormonal imbalances you're experiencing. But who knows? It may give your whole body enough strength to deal with whatever is happening with the pituitary (and the other glands that one effects) that things will rebalance and heal themselves. That's the only way healing ever takes place anyway.

That being said, I think it would be a really good idea to keep a close eye on what happens with your "sprout" while you use the oil. Just to be aware of any changes, and to ensure that you are safe.

One last thing: It's not a good idea to use oregano oil topically: it sounds like an unnecessary thing to say but I know some people have tried to do this. It really does burn.
annelise
yeah, i've read that it feels really uncomfortably warm when used topically--i've never dared to, since i've never seen it recommended.

thanks so much for your advice and information! i've been taking one pill a day because that's what's recommended on the package. hopefully i'll be seeing results with itchiness at least. smile.gif
chachaheels
Anytime, Annelise. Hope the treatment really helps--keep us up to date on how you do.
annelise
i've taken the oregano oil for about a week, and i'm not itchy today at all. i thought i remembered getting zits the last time i was on it, and now a big zit has appeared on my cheek (i haven't had a zit in a while, and no changes in lotions or cleansers).

so, it does seem to help the itchiness, at a bit of expense to my complexion. it still seems worth it--i'll probably just try it from time to time when i'm a bit itchy, rather than taking it every day.
chachaheels
It sounds to me like your skin is doing exactly what it's supposed to do--so it may not mean a permanently "perfect" complexion. It does, however, mean you have perfectly healthy and capable skin. So the blemishes will pass once the body's handled most of the work of healing itself.

Try cutting back the dosage and see what happens--if you go to once a week for a while, or take a dose every other day, do you still feel free of the itchiness--or does it come back? It's always good to gauge how your body is actually working with the oil before deciding what to do about dosages, as a "cold turkey" stop might change the improvements you've already experienced.
annelise
thanks chacha!

looking up a bit more info on oregano oil's benefits--looks like it's helpful with bacterial as well as fungal infections:
"Two studies have shown that oregano oil, and in particular carvacrol, one of oregano's chemical components, appear to reduce infection as effectively as traditional antibiotics."

i'll continue taking it less often, since that seems like a good idea...maybe i'll see how i do with twice a week. i was very glad to see it's possibly antibacterial as well, since i tend to be prone to UTIs. i usually fend them off with cranberry pills, but another natural pill for my UTI-prevention arsenal would be wonderful. sometimes i get bad enough that i have to take otc mild-antibiotic stuff, which i hate to take, and which of course causes itchiness galore...
little_idiot
Annelise, do you think the oregeno oil helps with discharge too? I'm not terribly itchy but still having discharge... and not a ton but more than I think should be normal. I did the boric acid for 2 nights, and it seemed to fix everything for a few days... maybe I didn't do it long enough? I read recommendations from one night to 14, so idk.
annelise
peoples' response to the boric acid seems really individual. i never got the miraculous help that other people reported--actually, if anyone is interested in still-sealed packages of yeast arrest, i bought lots in anticipation of a long boric acid run and then got fed up.

i'm feeling really positive about my experience with the oregano oil--i haven't typically had discharge probs so much as the itchiness, but it could help. it's certainly easier to take a pill every day than to deal with suppositories and the mess they make...

i was going to cut down to twice a week but now i'm taking it 5 or 6 days a week, because i really want to make sure i'm maintaining its benefits. (i'm having no itchiness at all for the past couple of weeks--which is pretty amazing since i had to be on antibiotics a couple of weeks ago)

i have tried every other yeast remedy short of a complete diet overhaul (though my diet's pretty healthy already), and this seems like the most effective thing for me. smile.gif
pepper
anyone know of natural anti-itch remedies that are effective?
chachaheels
Natural anti-itch for vaginal itching? The safest, easiest soothing treatment is a salt-water bath. Put about 1 cup of sea salt in a warm bath and get in. Avoid using soap at all--the high salt concentration is an attempt to replicate sea water; it's naturally very healing. It should soothe the irritation.

You can do this once a day until the itching stops (it can actually help to clear up irritation for good). Try to avoid mixing oils in the water (Pepper, normally I'd have a bunch of oil recommendations to make but they are all mint-family plant oils--it's best to avoid those during pregnancy).
lysistrata
Hi guys,

Please help! I read this thread all the way through before and have tried a lot of the stuff, but I am currently living in Spain and find it close to impossible to find some of these things. Here's the backstory:

I had tonsilitis and/or strep throat and I had to take antibiotics - which my mother basically bullied me into, seeing as my temperature was 40 degrees and I didn´t really have the strength to say no, I hate them, I will get the worst yeast infection EVAR. Anyway. Then I went back to Spain and the yeasties began JANUARY 11th. I took garlic pills, I ate lots of all natural yogurt with active cultures, I put said yogurt on my bits, I cut refined sugar out, cut fruit out for a while, you can see the rest below. Eventually, the lovely Fina sent me some fluconazole, as I couldn´t get anything here without a prescription and I am still awaiting my health card.

So I took the generic brand Diflucan that the fantabulous Fina sent me and the itchiness, in general, seemed to go away. Unfortunately, and this has happened to me before, the whole thing seemed to have spread asswards, at least, the itch and yeasty smell. Who knows. Anyway, I know that discharge is a big thing as far as telling if you have a yeast infection or not, but I don´t really seem to get that, so much a thick layer of nastiness on the surface of the skin...which has lessened, but it´s not like your regular, normal daily vaginal goodiness, it still kind of ROLLS off in little chunks if you run your finger along the skin. Another friend who has experience with UTIs has helped me with some info on them, but I don´t know if it´s something else...it burns a leetle when I pee and it´s quite yellow, but that doesn´t seem like enough to be a UTI. I still have a little bit of squirminess too, but it´s not that bad.

I´ve tried eating yogurt, I´ve cut processed sugars out of my diet, I have eaten bread twice in a month, I only ever wear cotton undies, I´ve washed all my underwear hot with vinegar, I put yogurt in my cooch, etc. I can´t find a bunch of the stuff you guys helpfully listed before, so I really just do not know what to do. I read the whole page of yeast info that Sidecar sent me, but ugh, really. Does anyone know if it can get really awful if you have it for too long? Pllllllease help...somehow. Someone has to know more than me...

I can´t get boric acid here and I don´t know where to find acidopholus, etc.
chachaheels
Lysistrata, I'm fairly sure you can find essential oils in pharmacies all over Europe. Oregano oil in a base of olive oil or in capsules is fairly effective as a boost to the body's own abilities to heal itself, so that it results in being an excellent anti-fungal oil. Taking some of that daily has helped a lot of women get rid of candida on a very deep level. It's best if you use this oil by taking drops or caps every day--don't apply it topically because it can really burn the skin.

Acidophilus might not be readily available in tablet form in Spain, but it is naturally found in yogurts and also in raw milk food products--raw milk, cream, and butter (which has fantastic anti-fungal properties) and cheeses. Pasteurized milk won't substitute--it's dead, comparatively, to raw milk and it's cultures. If you can get some of the raw milk food every day, then you'll get enough of the live cultures needed to rebalance your gut.

Repeatedly using antibiotics and antifungals just makes the yeast problem worse (as you've experienced, first hand). Changing the diet doesn't really do much for yeast either, unless you're adding things in like lacto-fermented foods (kombuchas and kvasses you make using whey and vegetables--I've posted recipes for them here before), and specific fats such as the raw cream butter or coconut oil, which contain potent natural anti-fungal acids.

Moonpieluv
Forgive me if you have addressed this already, but I have a question about plain yogurt.

How long (couple of hours or overnight) should a yogurt dipped tampon be left in? This is a quick possible remedy since I have it on hand until I get to the store for boric or oregano oil. I take acidop. pills everyday, so is this method even necessary? Would tea tree be a better solution working in conjunction with the acidop. ? I usually get the mild ones (no real itching or inflammation just creamy discharge) a week before my period using the pill, which I believe to be a rather direct cause of having them in the first place. Are there or would there be any adverse reactions to using different methods simulateneously?

Also, I wanted to say thanks to this thread, I have received so many great tips and illuminations. I'm not the only one who probably owns a small fortune of cotton undies!
chachaheels
I think it's better to use a yogurt douche than it is to use a tampon, even though it may not be as convenient; and there is a good point made in the fact that you're already taking acidophilus by mouth anyway. I don't think there's any real damage in taking the multiple treatments, but things always point back to the maintaining cause, which you suspect (probably correctly) is continuing with the pill.

The best approach if you're goint to continue to use the pill is to opt for the treatments which offer as much support to your body's overall ability to cure itself--so, taking acidophilus orally on a daily basis, and using a daily dose of oregano oil seem to make the most sense given the maintaining cause. If things get really out of hand and you get the symptoms again, the yogurt douche can help to palliate some of the symptoms, as can the boric acid if they're really bad. But if you're supporting the body anyway, then it's likely you won't need to use the "multiple" treatments (like the yogurt and the boric acid as topical treatments) as often.

Hope this helps!
stephanie_erin
my sister has had a yeast infection for 3 MONTHS now. the doctors have been kidding with her, they all meet up every time she comes in. they said to her this last time, "if this doesn't work, we'll just take you out to lunch.".
any off the wall remedies she might want to try?
Moonpieluv
Have you scanned through all of this thread? Cha-cha gives some really great tips.

Oregano oil, Boric, yogurt. I think it really comes down to supporting your bodie's overall health, as well as knowing the triggers.... for ex, I get them from stress, not being used to frequent sexual intercourse, sweaty undies, etc.

Have your sis read this thread through, it's really very helpful.

QUOTE(stephanie_erin @ Mar 7 2007, 08:52 AM) *

my sister has had a yeast infection for 3 MONTHS now. the doctors have been kidding with her, they all meet up every time she comes in. they said to her this last time, "if this doesn't work, we'll just take you out to lunch.".
any off the wall remedies she might want to try?

stephanie_erin
i'll pass it on to her.
thanks to chacha and moonpie!
annelise
listen to chacha, she has great advice!

i was hesitant about taking oregano oil, but thanks to chacha's advice, i've been taking it for quite a while now, several times a week. i checked with my naturopath and she says it's fine. since i've been taking it: dramatically less itchiness, nearly none of my verge-of-UTI symptoms (which i used to get regularly--argh!). it's wonderful stuff.

smile.gif
chachaheels
Stephanie Erin, if your sister gets better (and she will), her doctors should take ME to lunch. The weasels.
stephanie_erin
haha, agreed chacha.
:-D
chachaheels
Partystar, there's a strong connection between hormonal changes and balance and susceptibility to yeast infections. Many women experience infections during ovulation, some experience no symptoms but flare ups before, during, and/or after the period. If you're on the pill or taking steroids for any reason (like as an asthma or ecxema treatment) you will find these also make you susceptible.

Sex, of course, also creates the possibility of a yeast infection being passed back and forth between infected parties. Men just don't get the same symptoms we do, so many times they experience yeast but don't even know it....making it really easy to pass them back to you.

I'd take a multi-pronged approach:

1) a very potent acidophilus/bifidus microflora supplement, which includes pre-biotics as well as pro-biotics, and more than 12 billion live organisms per dose; A good one I like is Genestra Seroyal HMF Replete sachets--buy two of the packages and use them over the course of 2 weeks.

2) boric acid vaginal suppositories or pessaries, 600g per pessary, enough for two weeks of dosing, 2 times a day (you can buy these are your local compounding pharmacy)

3) supplementing with essential fatty acids, specifically omega 3s, 6s, and 9s. A good combo that's well formulated just for this purpose is Efalex--tuna oil and evening primrose oil capsules. Follow the directions for taking larger doses at first then taper down to a lower, maintaining dose. This should help regulate hormone balance (as long as you're not taking hormone meds like the ones I mentioned. Including the pill).

Make certain your sex partner is also careful to treat his own yeast infection and wear a barrier whenever you have sexual contact. As well, ensure you're keeping your vagina dry, and panties dry as well. Wear breatheable materials like cotton or silk only; wear a panty liner or pad to keep excessive moisture to a minimum.
prvtpuss
lysistrata and anyone else who hates and avoids antibiotics, you should always take them for strep throat, as untreated strep can lead to rheumatic fever... the antibodies your body makes to the strep can mistake the cells in your heart muscle for strep and attack them!! it's called cross-reactivity! that can lead to serious valve damage and serious heart problems!

i hate taking antibiotics and avoid them if possible... but don't avoid them for a STREP infection!!!!!

sorry for the PSA but reading that got me very excited... i'm in med school and we just studied that.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.