Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Thread Thread: Fiber Arts, Needlework, and Fabric Stuff!
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
kittenb
Thanks Tali.
I think I linked to the wrong thread. I wasn't intending to substitute it with a cotton yarn. However, I cannot remember what yarn I was thinking about. But I know where to find it.
So how do I know what yarn can be substituted for other yarn?
taligator
Generally a yarn that is the same weight and stitches per inch will work ..

Here is a list of standard yarn weights.
humanist77
yay I FINALLY finished this scarf, that I've been working on since last november. I ran out of yarn when I was almost finished, and the person I order it from was taking awhile to get some more in stock, so it took a long time. I've made so many scarves for other people, I just wanted to make the perfect one for myself. It's made of baby alpaca, so it's as soft as cashmere, only a lot heavier and warmer. I found a cable pattern in a Barbara Walker book. The scarf didn't turn out wide enough, so I crocheted a shell pattern on the sides, and I put tassels on the ends. It's now about 8 inches wide and 6 1/2 feet long. photos!:
part of it wrapped around my head
another view
and another one
oh this is going to be sooo warm in the winter!
tankgirl
wow humanist, that is beautiful, im so jealous!
humanist77
Thanks, tankgirl!
llamas
Humanist, soooo pretty! And wonderfully cozy-looking, too. smile.gif
sista-c
Hi. I'm new here. Actually, I was a member a few years ago but I'm glad to be back. I was curious if anyone has some tips for me. I am currently learning how to sew my own panties and I am wondering if anyone has any advice for me about how to hide seams and just general advice b/c I am clueless. Thanks.
dusty
I saw a cool pattern the other day for a purse that you knit and then throw in the washing machine so that it felts. But I don't knit.
pepper
ooh sista-c, i make panties out of old tshirts. the best thing i can suggest is that you find some elastic that has a fold down the center for sewing on like bias tape. it hides the seams without any bulk and it comes in lots of colours. i gather slightly more right at the bum cheek to prevent them riding up. you can sew both edges of the crotch (what a word eh? crotch, eww) insert internally too. make sure it's centered right, riding a horizontal crotch seam is painful at best!

i just moved and have a new baby but once i'm unpacked and have the sewing room sorted out i'll make a pair and link you to a tutorial. it might take a bit but i'll do it.
sista-c
Thanks for the tips, Pepper. I'm afraid they may have been lost on me as I am so green to this sewing thing. I just got a sewing machine today and I do have a panty pattern and some supplies. The nice ladies at the sewing store helped me out w/ the supplies but I just feel lost and overwhelmed now. I guess I'll have to just jump in sometime. I welcome all of the tips and help that I can get, though.
pepper
can you take a pic of your pattern all laid out and post it? that way i can get an idea of what you're working with.
what size are you?
btw, the best resource a sewing gal can have are the ladies at the fabric shop. a lot of them are absolute pros and will help you with whatever you need. sometimes asking them is a bust (ooh, i mean that in a less good way than the usual around here) but if so, keep asking! you'll find one eventually who is just an amazing help and happy to do it too!

i did a bit of work in the basement today but have a LONG way to go before i get set up enough to sew anything. i'm working on it though!
Garlic
The past few days I've been knitting for the first time in my life.

I actually don't need any more new clothing, but scarves for the winter are always a necessity, I currently have only a pink one and a pretty much antique football scarf, which I don't want to wear at the moment in case total strangers come up to me in the street asking me what I think about the manager quitting. You can see how this could get annoying by the third time that same question's been asked! Anyhow I like clothes and accessorising, but dislike sweatshops. So learning how to make my own clothing would be a good idea and as far as I am concerned is the only viable way of ensuring other women have not been exploited to make my clothes.

I started on a kind of fox-brown scarf (really gorgeous colour IMO) and as this is a first effort have dropped a couple of stitches. Normally I'm a bit of a perfectionist but have decided not to go back and correct these stitches or I will never get the scarf done. There is only so much I can expect from myself on a first go. This doesn't make me a lazy arse does it? And what should I do about the little gaps this has created? I was thinking of getting a large needle and using the wool to stitch over them, in case it looks like my neck wear's been mauled by clothes moths.
pepper
can you crochet? you could make some pretty yarn flowers and attach them over the gaps.
i love crochet, so much more forgiving than knitting IMO.
i'm almost finished my first ever afghan, it's only taken me since december, ha ha! i moved across the country and had another baby though so... pretty good timing as far as i'm concerned!
Garlic
QUOTE(pepper @ Sep 22 2007, 09:39 AM) *
can you crochet? you could make some pretty yarn flowers and attach them over the gaps.
i love crochet, so much more forgiving than knitting IMO.
i'm almost finished my first ever afghan, it's only taken me since december, ha ha! i moved across the country and had another baby though so... pretty good timing as far as i'm concerned!

What a good idea, didn't think of that. Thanks! There was some lovely maroon coloured wool that caught my eye at the same time as I spotted the fox coloured variety, I'll get a ball of it and crochet the flowers using that.
pepper
here are some very pretty fleurs
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=191498.0
gumby_cc
I have absolutely nothing to do with this show, but it seemed interesting.

September 30, 2007 Call For Fiber Artists The goal for the is to give
a opportunity to people who crochet or knit, whether professional
artists or hobbyists, to come together all over the world to express
our concerns towards our countries extreme dependency on oil for
energy. Those who participate will crochet or knit 36"x36" fiber
panels that will express each artists view on this topic. By taking
the step to create a panel with any design, and sending it in, in the
larger picture, is expressing your concern towards this topic. Once
all 800 panels that are needed are received, they will be sewn
together to completely cover an abandoned gas station and gas pumps in
central New York. No entry fee. Due March 15 2008. Contact: Jennifer
Marsh, International Fiber Collaborative OR
http://internationalfibercollaborative.com OR blueangle1412@yahoo.com
crinoline
Well, Holiday season is fast upon us so I'm working through my list:
Bro 1- 12 DVD case (knit/fabric) Bro 2- Hat (crochet) Bro 3- ipod case (haven't found the pattern yet, maybe crochet)
Dad- Guitar strap (knit) Mom - sheep ornament (?clay or crochet)

I need help with my Aunt, I would like to make her a skinny scarf with scattered crochet flowers of varying size / color. (Actually- very like those gorgeous scarves in the pics below, but simpler)
If anyone knows of some quick or easy flower patterns, I would really appreciate it. I'm still in basic stitches, so I can't go too complicated.

Does anyone else have holiday projects?
pepper
fleurs
crinoline
Thanks, pepper!

Is anyone into Amigurumi crochet? You know, the Japanese 3D spiral crochet that makes cute animals? I'm just learning how to do it, and I already have three fluffy crochet critters to love. I'm amending my holiday crochet list to include animals for everyone.
They're just so CUTE!!
Here is a site with some examples, if you don't know what I'm talking about.
LoveMyPugs
Just started this counted cross-stitch project. Hoping to have it done by December 1st!!!
anoushh
QUOTE(crinoline @ Oct 24 2007, 05:32 PM) *
Here is a site with some examples, if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Ok, I'm in love. I'm going to have to learn to crochet now.

And dusty, I've had a bag like that in the works for ages. They tend to be very easy, so that's a bonus.
dusty
QUOTE(anoushh @ Oct 24 2007, 05:35 PM) *
Ok, I'm in love. I'm going to have to learn to crochet now.

And dusty, I've had a bag like that in the works for ages. They tend to be very easy, so that's a bonus.

Hee. You just have to know how to knit...
kiss_the_fiddler
I'm full throttle into making christmas gifts. I'm making mitten/hat sets for my friends and family - well, for some of them. I have the mittens for my mum finished and am about halfway finished with her matching hat. I may have enough yarn left over for a scarf that matches the mittens and hat. I finished the mitten/hat set for my dad's wife. They're my favorite so far. I finished the mitts for shinybaby and am about half finished with his hat. I've started the mittens for my sis, mandy. i'm not sure i like them though so i might rip it out and start over with a different combo of yarn. I have lots of fun knitting mittens. They're quick and they come together so neatly. Yippee!

fiddler
kellebelle
Oh my gosh, when do I *not* knit/crochet Christmas gifts? This year I'm knitting slippers for all my neices & nephews as my mom's arthritis means she can't do as much as she used to. My own projects include knitting fingerless gloves for friends, and shawls/cowls with buttons to allow them to be done up in more than one way or closed with decorated kilt pins that I'm designing.

At least this year I have a Stitch & Bitch group to join up with from time to time. I'm teaching the gals how to knit socks next session!

Oh yeah, and I'm doing a watercolour painting for my Dad of his farmhouse, a mini scrapbook for my mom of pictures of her and I while I was growing up, and hopefully a few crocheted snowflake ornaments, which is one of my signature Christmas gifts smile.gif

And when I'm not exploring my artistic side, I'm trying to finish my MA thesis.

Can I knit my thesis?
kiss_the_fiddler
OOOOh, socks - will you teach me too? There's a yarn store in the town near here that I can go to if I get stuck but they don't have room to just sit there and knit. I wish they did. It's a nice atmosphere, all those warm fuzzy colors. Yummy.

fiddler
kellebelle
Fiddler, if you're anywhere's near Vancouver, Canada on November 9th I'm happy to bring you along to the Sock-a-Palooza night. If not, just plug in "Stitch and Bitch" (thank you Debbie Stoller!) plus your location into Google and you're bound to find a local group or a local guild who would be more than happy & able to teach you sock knitting. Whereabouts are ya?
kiss_the_fiddler
Kellebelle, I'm in MT. I will look for a knitting group. It'll have to wait 'til after christmas though because i have lots to get done before now and then. neat-o.

fiddler
thatgirlkelly
Hi All! First post in this thread. I'm newer knitter. I've done some socks, a few hats and scarves. Just completed by first sweater and boy does it SUCK! I did the mariah pattern from knitty and even though I checked my gauge the things is huge and the sleeves are ridiculously long and the arm pits are at my waste.

I'm just beginning to understand construction so modifying a complicated sitch patern with cables, like the mariah, to fit the length I need doesn't feel possible. What is a good starting sweater pattern that I could use to learn how to modify a pattern to fit my person. And does anyone recommend a book that I might look at for this type of stuff?

I just finished this in yellow...me likey.
i_am_jan
Hello ladies and gents...first of all wanted to say I really admire everyone here for their awesome ideas, there are some seriously cool projects going on here! I'm pretty broke this year for the Holiday and am considering making all the kids in the family mittens. I have some ideas for sewing felt objects onto them to personalize them for each kid (like a hot wheels car for my baby nephew might be cute)...I don't knit so I'm thinking of making the mittens from sweatshirt material?. I'm wondering whether anyone has seen a pattern for mittens anyplace that I could look at. Anyone? I really appreciate any help.
kellebelle
Hey thatgirl (how funny, my name is Kelly too.... do you ever get people asking you if you've ever seen the episode of "Cheers"... "You know, the one where Woody writes the song for his girlfriend?"... duh, no, I couldn't possibly EVER have been asked that question, you're so original....)

Anyways, I know exactly what you mean about the Mariah sweater, I call it the "Bane of My Existence" sweater. I knit it in a medium when I generally take a large because I knew the sleeves would be a bit long, but come on.... they're 8 inches too long!! It now sits on the floor in a corner by my couch with the pile of term papers I'm marking on top of it. It so sucks because I loved the cabling and knitted the sleeves THREE TIMES! I guess it's not just me LOL.

As for altering sweaters, go check out "Fitted Knits" by Stephanie Japel; not only does it have some great patterns, she gives a lot of information on how to alter a pattern for gauge and to fit your measurements. Also check out some of the articles on the Knitty.com site, there are some really good ones there for free.

Oh, and if you haven't do so already, sign up for an invite to Ravelry.com.... great links to free patterns and a fabulous online knitting community!

Kelle

QUOTE(thatgirlkelly @ Nov 20 2007, 06:19 PM) *
Hi All! First post in this thread. I'm newer knitter. I've done some socks, a few hats and scarves. Just completed by first sweater and boy does it SUCK! I did the mariah pattern from knitty and even though I checked my gauge the things is huge and the sleeves are ridiculously long and the arm pits are at my waste.

I'm just beginning to understand construction so modifying a complicated sitch patern with cables, like the mariah, to fit the length I need doesn't feel possible. What is a good starting sweater pattern that I could use to learn how to modify a pattern to fit my person. And does anyone recommend a book that I might look at for this type of stuff?

I just finished this in yellow...me likey.

thatgirlkelly
Kelle, why no, no one has EVER asked me if I heard the Cheers song, no once not ever....I lie. All the freakin time!

Wow so awesome to know that the mariah is a difficult knit. thanks for your tips, I will check out the book and am super excited about Ravelry...is there a secret hand shake?

Working on a space invader scarf for the boy. fun fun!
jayboogie
hey...i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions about good websites with free knitting patterns for beginners.
I really want to make some legwarmers! rolleyes.gif
treehugger
Hey, I'm here cause I want to make legwarmers, too. Have you tried www.knitty.com?

I'm here because I'm wondering if anybody knows how to convert a pattern? Dang pattern calls for a 12" circular needle, which I can only find in a #8. My original pattern calls for a bulky weight yarn that normally takes a #10.5 needle. So...I have some beautiful worsted weight yarn that can use anywhere from a #7 to a #9, if I can figure out how to convert the pattern. It's a cable pattern, too.

If my original bulky weight pattern calls for 450 yards, would it still be the same amt. of yarn if I used worsted weight? And, do I make more cables or increase the number of stitches in the repeat? How do I figure out how many stitches and rows to do?

Hmm....this may be a toughie. Any hints?
knorl05
how funny.....!! i just came to this thread to post the http://www.knitty.com website. and low and behold, treehugger beat me to it. LOVE IT.
kittenb
I am working up my courage to try to crochet a sweater. There is a lovely pattern in the Happy Hooker book that looks simple. Don't know why I am actually nervous about it. It's not like anyone but me will suffer if it doesn't turn out.
kellebelle
QUOTE(kittenb @ Mar 24 2008, 06:54 AM) *
I am working up my courage to try to crochet a sweater. There is a lovely pattern in the Happy Hooker book that looks simple. Don't know why I am actually nervous about it. It's not like anyone but me will suffer if it doesn't turn out.

Do it! The patterns in The Happy Hooker are great, and lacy crocheted sweaters look great in spring. Which one are you going to make??
mornington
kitten, which one are you thinking?

I want to try the one with the skull on it...
kittenb
I can't remember the name at the moment. It's red and all one piece so there is no sewing needed, I think.
mornington
i know the one you mean, kitten, i like it.

I'm taking this pattern with me to scotland: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=105776.0 and I'm going to make a hat as well. I figure eight hours on a train is perfect crafting time!
lunia666
Would like to show off my first CS
mornington
lunia, those are very cool. I do heart subversive stitching so. Have you seen the flickr group?

are there any busties on ravelry? I've just gotten my account so I'm a little... addicted.
faith
I am on ravelry! I am a rank amateur but ambitious. My handle is "Calyx"......
faith
I am on ravelry! I am a rank amateur but ambitious. My handle is "Calyx"......
humanist77
It's yarnin' season again! And apparently we skipped the 2008 season here :\

Like most knitters, i've made a million scarves for other people. I've only made one for myself though a couple years ago, and I'm starting my second one. Like my first scarf, it's made up of an intricate cable pattern. My first one came out beautifully from the start-the cable crossings and ribs came out perfectly. I'm about 30 rows into my latest scarf though, and the cables are just not forming. I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong. I'm using size 8 needles with worsted yarn, knitting at a perfect tension-not too tight, not too loose, and I know I haven't made any mistakes with the pattern itself. I'm doing it the exact same way as the first one (a different cable pattern, but all the same techniques).
So here's a photo of the original pattern,
and this is my attempt. I mean, you can kinda see it, but it's still so mushy looking. Btw, I'm only using about two rows of the original pattern.
here's my first scarf, notice how the ribbing just pops out-it's all well defined.

Now why the hell is this one all flat and shapeless? Is there a trick to making cable ribs more defined? i've gotta be doing something wrong huh.gif
Anyone else working on something neat?
pollystyrene
QUOTE(humanist77 @ Sep 29 2009, 03:32 PM) *
It's yarnin' season again! And apparently we skipped the 2008 season here :\

Like most knitters, i've made a million scarves for other people. I've only made one for myself though a couple years ago, and I'm starting my second one. Like my first scarf, it's made up of an intricate cable pattern. My first one came out beautifully from the start-the cable crossings and ribs came out perfectly. I'm about 30 rows into my latest scarf though, and the cables are just not forming. I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong. I'm using size 8 needles with worsted yarn, knitting at a perfect tension-not too tight, not too loose, and I know I haven't made any mistakes with the pattern itself. I'm doing it the exact same way as the first one (a different cable pattern, but all the same techniques).
So here's a photo of the original pattern,
and this is my attempt. I mean, you can kinda see it, but it's still so mushy looking. Btw, I'm only using about two rows of the original pattern.
here's my first scarf, notice how the ribbing just pops out-it's all well defined.

Now why the hell is this one all flat and shapeless? Is there a trick to making cable ribs more defined? i've gotta be doing something wrong huh.gif
Anyone else working on something neat?

If it doesn't work, I'll still take it off your hands!
koffeewitch
Wow...how did I not notice this thread before??

I have the same situation of giving all the scarves/hats etc. away to other people. Every time it gets cold I ask myself how someone who knits, crochets and (sorta) spins yarn can possibly not have enough cold weather gear.

On the cable pattern issue: hopefully you've worked the bugs out now, but if not maybe you should try a sample in another yarn. Sometimes the direction the yarn is plyed can affect how bold the pattern looks even in plain stockinette...It's weird that you had no problem with cables before and now suddenly something isn't right. It really does make me wonder if the problem isn't YOU, but the yarn, pattern, etc.

I need to start on a scarf, too. My 6 year old lost his only warm scarf last season (fortunately not a hand knit) and will need another ASAP. Here in Ohio it's already getting cold; it might even FROST tomorrow morning. Other than planning scarves and mittens I've been a little baby bootie making factory...nothing too glamorous/exciting.

Does anybody hand spin yarn? I'd like to get better at it and would love some learning suggestions.
culturehandy
Humanist, I'll consult with my mom, she's a master knitter. Is there any way you can send me the pattern as well?

I'd offer to help, but I can't knit for crud, now embroidery, THAT's my thing.

I'm sort of working on a love bird table cloth thing for a friend, but I don't like what I've done so far, so I'm going to get more material and some new thread and start again.
roseviolet
CH, I adore embroidery! I haven't done it in years, though. I really need to give it another try. Post some pics of your projects if you get a chance.

Humanist, from that pic it looks like you lost your way & went off the pattern somewhere in the middle there. The pattern seems to disappear, for lack of a better word. I'm wondering if you cabled back a few times when you should have cabled forward. I also think there are some places where you perled when you should have been knitting. With a pattern as complex as that, I'm sure it's hard to keep track. Either that or ... well, I don't know! If nothing else, you could start again using a slightly smaller needle. I find that sometimes my cable & lace work looks more crisp and clean if I use a slightly smaller needle than recommended.

I'm getting back into needle arts after a bit of a hiatus. This summer I crocheted an afghan for some friends who just bought their first house. They have long admired an afghan in our living room that I made a few years back, so I was sure it would not be a waste of effort! It's a wonderful, easy, reversible basketweave pattern that I found on the website for Lionbrand yarns. I'd post a link, but they make you join their website in order to have access to their patterns. If you're willing to sign up, just look for "basketweave throw" in the crochet section. It's super easy & works up quickly.

I also made a purse for my mom using the Buttercup Bag pattern. It is such an adorable little bag! It's on the small side, though, so if you decide to make it, you might blow up the pattern a bit on a copier or you can buy the larger version of the pattern (the small pattern is free).

Now for knitting. After oodles of scarves, I am finally making my first sweater! And instead of making something for someone else like I usually do, this is for me. It's a cardigan from the Spring/Summer '09 issue of the Debbie Bliss magazine. If you have this magazine, it's in the Havanna Nights section. It's called "Ribbon Edged Jacket" but I'm doing it in dark blue and I'm leaving off the ribbon. It's a very simple long cardigan with wide ribbing and a V neckline. Simple, but sense there's no lace work and since it's all done on small needles, it has taken me FOREVER! I started on it this summer and got SO DAMN BORED & frustrated with it that I tossed it aside about a month ago. I just felt like I was making no progress whatsoever. Then on Monday I picked it up again and finally finished the back. In the meantime, my mother knit 2 sweaters this summer! I feel so inept! I would love to start on another project - perhaps something involving lacework - but I need to finish this thing first. I think I'll start one of the front panels this morning. Wish me luck!

culturehandy
Hmm, it appears that the pic is not on photobucket anymore. I don't remember if I actually deleted it.

But, RV, if you go to my pics on crackbook, there is an album, there is one pic there.

I'll reload the pic and post it later.

I also put two love birds on a hoodie, right inthe small of the back. It's like an old school tramp stamp tat, but on a hoodie!
girltrouble
hey, can any of the embroiderers take a picture of a pattern or two? i want to make some of my drawings into patterns to sell on etsy, but i haven't a clue what they look like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.