Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Thread Thread: Fiber Arts, Needlework, and Fabric Stuff!
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
emtee
lowredmoon, that breaks my heart. I just finished University, and I can't imagine doing it without the support of my parents.

Going to buy some Red scarf yarn...
lowredmoon
emtee i know what you mean. i remember the first time i got sick away from home, and how awful i felt. my parents actually came down to visit me because i was so miserable. i can't imagine what it would be like to have no support system at all. and i can't imagine they've ever had anyone bother to hand-make something just for them, which is why i think this is a much cooler idea than just collecting the store-bought kinds.
Sapphy69
Hey, fiber lovers!

It's been a few months since I posted in here, but I've been plenty busy all summer with knitting, sewing and...spinning! Yes, I bought a spinning wheel in June. I've been having so much fun experimenting with different fibers. Last week I finished knitting myself a pair of socks out of my own handspun. I'm ridiculously, absurdly proud of them. smile.gif

Today is my day off and I plan on spending most of it at my sewing machine. I have some gorgeous taupe silk that I have been working (slowly) on making a dress out of, and I might also cut out the pieces for a skirt I'm planning out of some nice faux-suede in a beautiful plum/eggplant sort of purple color.

As usual, too many project ideas in my brain and never enough time to execute them all!
anoushh
Sapphy, you have every right to be ridiculously, absurdly proud of them! Go you!!

Reminds me---I have to get my wheel back from the friend who kept it for me when I was in the UK. I've never actually made anything from what I've spun. I need to practice.

Note to self--you don't need that silk yarn on ebay. You've already bid more than you really can afford. Yes, I know it's 100% silk, and lovely colors, and considering that it's a good deal, but it's still money you know.... And, and....I'm weak in the face of the silk....
Sapphy69
Mmmm...silk. No one would blame you if you gave into that temptation, Anoushh!

Have you made anything for the bun in your oven?
anoushh
The price got too high for me to justify it to myself. I did get some Debbie Bliss silk not that long ago. Mmmmm--silk......

So I used the excuse that as I hadn't spent that money I'd spend the money on a pedicure instead, which I'm having tomorrow.

I recently finished a cardigan from Tara Jon Manning's book Mindful Knitting. And right now I'm working on one of these wool soakers at the moment. No idea if I'll like them or not, but lots of people seem to swear by them, so worth a try. And it's with Brown Sheep Wool, which I love.

I was going to make a Maya Wrap Sling, but I think I'll buy one on ebay instead (then I can get one in the cool Guatemalan fabric!) And I have fabric for diapers, but have yet to take the plunge in trying to make them. I don't know why it seems so intimidating.
Sapphy69
One of my co-workers has made about a gazillion of those soakers. It's like her signature project.

I love Brown Sheep also. I'm knitting a sweater for SapphMan from their Nature Spun Sport. It's intended to be a Christmas present, so I can only work on it when he's not around (luckily I can knit at work!). I started in June. Not sure if I'll get it done in time or not. If not, it might end up being a gift for his birthday in February. I hope not, though...sweater season is practically over by then here.

Oh yeah, that Debbie Bliss silk is niiiiiice. My dream is to be able to spin perfect silk singles. If I spin it myself, I might be able to afford to make a substantial garment.
anoushh
Ok, took the plunge with diapers and they are turning out ok.

However, I"ve had to stop before I loose my mind. Why? I keep breaking needles and I DON"T KNOW WHY.

I'm going along fine then suddenly the needle hits the plate and then SNAP.

I've lost count of how many times this has happened. I've made two diapers.

I cannot afford this, both financially nor emotionally. Any suggestions?

Sapph--that reminds me. I need to get my wheel back from the person who kept it for me while I was in the UK. I have some silk that I got there that I want to have a go at spinning. I've never tried silk. Hell--I'm not that good with wool--but might as well practice.

Knitting at work--definite bonus. I used to knit during lunch and stuff, and I have to say it really, really helped the stress of my job. ( I loved the job, but it was definitely stressful.)

What kind of sweater are you making?
anoushh
Raisin, did you ever make the Baby Tart hat? I've been thinking about it, but reading the pattern the bobbles scare me a bit.

Anyway, found this--the motherlode of free patterns--so thought I'd share:

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php
pepper
anoush, STOP!!!
check and make sure that you can still sew other things before you keep trying. usually the needle hitting the plate indicates a need for servicing. if your machine can manage other fabrics you're cool to keep trying but if it gives you trouble it needs some professional help.
i've had this problem before and haven't been able to fix it myself, it's always ended up in the shop.
kittenb
Can anyone recommend some good yarn to make dishtowels with? I want them to be decorative but functional (ie. won't melt, fade in one day, be too thin, etc.)
And another thing. I am also thinking of getting dishtowels and then personalizing them with different iron-ons. Can iron-ons be used on terrycloth or crocheted towels?
txplumwine
Kitten, if you're OK with worsted, you really can't go wrong with Sugar 'n' Cream for functionality - substantial, sturdy, and absorbent after one wash. Color range is also good, but not having put any cloths I've made to use, I couldn't tell you how quickly they fade. I have also seen patterns that call for mercerized cotton; don't know how absorbent they are, but I'd wager they don't fade as quickly as untreated cotton.

Many are fans of Euroflax for the purpose, but a) it's expensive and b ) it sheds like hell.

I have a brag. While I have put hands to a sewing machine before, I'd never set one up until tonight. My mother-in-law's 30-year-old, pristinely kept Kenmore has a slightly confusing book, and yet...

...it also now has properly wound and loaded bobbins, is correctly threaded, and has neatly sewn seams in a handful of scraps. And I did it without a lick of assistance other than the manual.

Tomorrow, I actually sew.
kittenb
Good luck w/ the sewing txplumwine. Thanks for the suggestions.
kittenb
laugh.gif Cross posted in Midwestern Mamas:

Everyone who is interested is invited to come to Pressure Billiards and Cafe on January 1, 2007 for Stitchfest 2. About one a half years ago, my friend organized the first Stitchfest to raise awarness for the Chicago Rape Crisis Hotline. There is still one thing that needs to be finished from this event. We started a blanket for the Hotline staff and volunteers and it is still unfinished. So from noon until midnight, we will be making blanket squares (about 4"x4") and making them all into a blanket. Show your support for the Chicago Rape Crisis Hotline by picking up your crochet hooks and your knitting needles and making some squares! If you have "donateable" crochet hooks or knitting needles, or any other accessory, let us know. We will try to get them back to their owners, but can't promise anything.

The event will be at Pressure Billiards and Cafe at 6318 North Clark Street in Chicago. However, if you want to participate but cannot get there, you are more than welcome to send blanket peices. We don't really care what they look like, as long as they are made with love.

TELL YOUR FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to set up a MySpace page for this as soon as MySpace lets me. It's giving me all kinds of problems at the moment.
humanist77
Hi knitters,
I'm looking at this yarn on ebay, but I don't understand the gauge listed. All it says is- "4/10-10.5" I'm guessing that means 4 sts to 10-10.5 rows? centimeters? I've never been sure how to read those. Does anyone know what weight this yarn might be based on the gauge given? It's hard to tell from the photo. Thanks for any help!
humanist77
D'oh! I should really be more observant..the title of the auction says "Heavy Worsted" right in it..silly me..
raisingirl
Oh my gosh, Anoushh, I have had a few problems with the Baby Tart hat, first with finding the brown cotton yarn that's supposed to be the crust. I ended up getting a different brown, so it will look a little different than the picture, but it's a decent enough brown.

And then I had the hardest time trying to decipher the bobble pattern, so I actually sent an email to the woman who wrote the pattern. Thank goodness she wrote back and explained it, because THEN she said, "Oh, by the way, there's a mistake in the pattern" -- and then went on to explain the typo or misprint. This is my first time knitting anything from Knitty and all I could think was, well, if the writer knows that there's a misprint on the website, why hasn't it been corrected?

I hate this shit.

I'm sure it will be adorable when I end up finishing it (and yes, I'll post a picture), but in the meantime, what a pain in the arse it's been so far just for a baby hat. I've really got to get moving on it this week if I want to give it to baby for her first winter.

Has anyone started any winter projects?
pepper
i started this afghan

http://iamtotallyobsessedwithyarn.blogspot...h-pictures.html

sorry about the bad looking link, there are no instructions anywhere on how to make them nice and i just don't know how to on my own *pissy*.

anyhow, it's a giant granny square afghan, and it's my first one, and i don't know how to read a pattern. so, it took a bit to figure out the stitches but i've got a few rounds now and it's looking alright. i'm using a varigated mossy green and tan yarn with pale chocolatey brown stripes every 8th row. it's for the bf, he likes those colours and is always after me to do handy crafts for him. he's going away for 3 months too so i have Plenty of time to get it finished. it's kind of addicting actually, i had to force myself to stop crocheting in bed last night at midnight, i could have gone on for another hour at least!
kittenb
Here is the MySpace page for Stitchfest 2!. Please, please friend me. I need to get this around.

Here is the MySpace page for Stitchfest 2!. Please, please friend me. I need to get this around.
raisingirl
Just an update on the hat I posted about earlier in this thread: I would NOT recommend it as a knitting project unless you're looking for stress and something to be a pain-in-the-ass that should have been fun.

It's cute, but what a freaking chore to get through it. It could have been written better. Maybe this is a problem with patterns that are written by the average Jane and not professional knitters. Now I'm hesitant about tackling another Knitty pattern, even though I've printed out a few of them I'd like to try.
humanist77
Yay! My first granny square~
IPB Image

and my first scarfy thing with sc, hdc, dc, and tc
IPB Image

Yes, I, a knitter, learned to crochet. And once again, from Debbie's book. Notice the obligatory, ugly, yellow, acrylic, worsted weight yarn.
girltrouble
i don't know if anybody posted anything about Craft: the craft magazine by the Make: people. i posted more info in media whores' mag mama thread.
tart
Delurking to give Humanist a big highfive for her forays into the crocheting world - they look great! The fugly yarn is requisite for your first projects - mine were all in blaze orange & blue heather tongue.gif I'm a crocheter, teetering on the edge of learning how to knit - there's just too many great patterns out there that don't translate well to crocheting. I got this book for Christmas, and it's lit a fire under my ass to get some decent needles (ie. not honking huge plastic jobbos) and give it a whirl...

While I'm here, any of you sewers have recs for good fabric sites? I'm specifically looking for the uber-twee Japanese cotton prints (tiny bunnies, in particular) that crop up in my favorite craft blogs. I'm making a duvet cover for the Tartlet, and want to indulge a bit. Any ideas?
humanist77
Awww, thank you tart! I really am proud of learning how to crochet, finally. It was one of those things that I tried so many times, and gave up. I really think that it is Debbie's book that got me through it-the directions are so well explained. I've found that so many other books I've tried to learn from are vague and confusing. That looks like a fun book, tart-what kinds of projects are in it?

Look! I made my first hat! Here is the pattern for it. This woman makes really neat stuff and posts all the patterns, free, on her website. This hat was pretty easy, especially for a beginner. The flower on the side, came from the Happy Hooker-although the 3rd round I didn't quite understand, so I just did 2 sc's in to every other V, with 1 ch in between, which seemed to work fine.
IPB Image
I've only been crocheting for little over a week now. I found that it's a lot easier than knitting.
IPB Image
tart
Sweet hat! Look at you, only a few days & you're already doing increases & clusterwork! See, this is exactly why I've put off the knitting thing - crochet is so forgiving, you can kind of make it up as you go along... One Skein has a variety of stuff like scarves, bags, hats, etc, but there are some goofy fun things like knit cupcakes (with fluffy eyelash yarn for icing). That's a great site, BTW - she's got an unusual technique for doing ribbing on cuffs/hems that I'm totally geeking on...
mouse
tart, re: fabric, get thyself acquainted with repro depot STAT!
anoushh
QUOTE(raisingirl @ Dec 31 2006, 02:20 PM) *

Just an update on the hat I posted about earlier in this thread: I would NOT recommend it as a knitting project unless you're looking for stress and something to be a pain-in-the-ass that should have been fun.

It's cute, but what a freaking chore to get through it. It could have been written better. Maybe this is a problem with patterns that are written by the average Jane and not professional knitters. Now I'm hesitant about tackling another Knitty pattern, even though I've printed out a few of them I'd like to try.

Are you talking about the Baby Tart pattern? I got discouraged just reading the pattern.

I've made other knitty stuff and had no trouble, though, if that helps.
raisingirl
Oh my gosh, Humanist, that's amazing! Congratulations on teaching yourself how to crochet! I think I can't wrap my brain around using one hook when I'm so used to two (or more) needles. I'm firmly planted in the knitting world, but that hat is out of this world.

Anoushh, that's the hat I'm talking about, but good to know you've made other stuff and haven't had a problem. The pattern could have been written a whole lot better. I'm still annoyed!
humanist77
Thank you, raisingirl! I really appreciate it. I'm actually amazed that I was able to understand the directions, and even though I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing, I just kept going, hoping it would turn out right-and it did! I still love knitting more than anything, but when I was first learning to knit, it took SO long to really get the hang of it-so many tries, frustration, and awkward/difficult little practice pieces. Crocheting definitely handed some of that to me, but I've become comfortable with it much more quickly. The methods are a lot different from each other, but really they are simply different ways of pulling loops through other loops.

Right now I'm starting to knit a scarf made of the same dye lot as the hat, just a heavier weight. I will post photos when I'm finished-hopefully before it's too warm to wear an alpaca scarf!
tart
Hey, Mouse, thanks for the ReproDepot link! I'd passed them up initially, as I remembered their stock being all flames/tattoos/kitschystuff... Heh, was I wrong! I got 3 yards of this for Tartlet's duvet cover - enough to make a matching pillowcase when he's a bit older. In my searching, I did find another great site: Purl Beautiful fabrics, yarns, patterns...

Now I get to play around with paint chips & wallpaper books to find something that will go with the fabric... off to House of the Gods...
LoveMyPugs
I’ve been crocheting for years. However, I’ll start something and then my ends never come out even and I get frustrated and quit. My mom keeps trying to explain to me how to turn around and come back for another row and I guess I just don’t get it. I’d like to buy a beginners book. Can anyone recommend one?
llamas
LMP, I wish I could remember what book I used to learn to crochet, but I think the instructions in The Happy Hooker are supposed to be pretty good.

I have a slightly random question...I just did my first Crafster challenge (making an inanimate object out of felt) and also used a felting needle for the first time; I think I may be conceptually in love with needle felting. Has anyone done anything interesting with it besides embellishing knits or felt?
gumby_cc
Hey llamas,
I was making stuffed animals out of felt using a needle....I made little rabbits and a mushroom. They were super cute. You can buy kits on ebay, too, although these I did on my own. It was super easy!
llamas
Gumby, those sound so cute!

(And if anyone wants to see my craftster felt project, scroll down past the poll here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=161993.0 ; it's the second pic, the lil' red push-pin with a face!)
ginger_kitty
I don't think I a have ever ventured into this thread before....

A strong urge to craft and zero extra cash to buy materials has driven me to start making a quilt. I had a bunch of scraps laying around so just started piecing them together and figuring out a pattern. The patterning is really random, but I stuck with yellows, reds, oranges and browns so everything looks kind of cool. I'll post a pic when I am finished.

BTW, llama that pin is uber cute!!

Moonpieluv
Definitely new territory for me, but I have lots of friends who want to learn how to embroider, knit, and crochet here in my small town.... that is, we are starting a "stitch-n-bitch" so to speak cause we are tired of the same ole' thing and want to jump on the bandwagon.... drinking cocktails with nothing to do with our hands but smoke fags and bitch. This seems way more healthy and therapeutic to say the least.

Plus, I want to make little crochet/knit toys, embroider my own pillows and on quilts, etc. mend my clothing....

Does anyone have any suggestions on How-to books for crochet/knit, embroider, and sew in general? I've seen some round, but I want the best of the best for beginners who want to make kitcshy stuff.
toastybean
QUOTE(Moonpieluv @ May 21 2007, 07:19 AM) *
Definitely new territory for me, but I have lots of friends who want to learn how to embroider, knit, and crochet here in my small town.... that is, we are starting a "stitch-n-bitch" so to speak cause we are tired of the same ole' thing and want to jump on the bandwagon.... drinking cocktails with nothing to do with our hands but smoke fags and bitch. This seems way more healthy and therapeutic to say the least.

Plus, I want to make little crochet/knit toys, embroider my own pillows and on quilts, etc. mend my clothing....

Does anyone have any suggestions on How-to books for crochet/knit, embroider, and sew in general? I've seen some round, but I want the best of the best for beginners who want to make kitcshy stuff.

stitch n bitch, as well as happy hooker are both good knit/crochet books to learn from...and i believe they sell them at the bust store. i have the knitting one , from which ive been able to figure out everything ive needed to know...ive just finished my second hat ever and it turned out really good.
Moonpieluv
Thanks for the suggestions! and congrats on the hat!

We want to start after we complete a craft fair thing in july. SO as my booth/table, I want to make silly sock monkey creatures, and a few other crafty items that aren't as time consuming as the monkeys, but may sell.

Does anyone have experience making sock creatures? I have a great book on it that lists the proper materials, but I haven't started yet!!

What's some silly ways you have used to embellish them? Or what have you found frustrating about making them?

Thanks... I wanna keep this thread going literally.
marianita
hi, i'm new to this thread but i love making stuff!

i've been reading around in here, and duplessix, i got a copy of wendy mullen's 'sew u' book a few months ago and i've found that it's very thorough and aimed i think towards someone who wants to make their own clothes. it comes with free patterns, too, which is neat.

also i always feel like i'm doing something wrong when i'm crocheting, because it takes me way way way longer than knitting. does that happen to anyone else?
lilypickford
Hello,
I've been a BUST subscriber for years, but just joined the lounge recently. On my newbie post, I asked a crafty question-- probably a rookie mistake. So I ask again in this more proper thread:

One of my friends just came back from Brooklyn with this crazy cute DIY apron-style halter top made out of an old t-shirt. No sewing involved, just cutting. It's tied both behind the neck and across the back, and drapes rather nicely on the neckline in front. I just searched high and low for instructions, but couldn't find any... Does anyone know how to make this lovely item? I made one and it came out OK, but my friend's was much better...

Marianita, if you're new to crocheting, don't fret about it going slowly, especially if you're attempting a somewhat complex pattern and/or using a really fluffy/furry yarn, or a baby-weight yarn. That's a lot of stitches and a lot to pay attention to at once! You'll get faster and better at it the more you do it.

avaadore
I don't know if this is it exactly, but it's sounds really close to what you were talking about, hope it helps!
lilypickford
Avaadore, did you attach something? It's not appearing... but thanks for the quick response!
avaadore
Oops, sorry! I wasn't paying attention when I posted it and I didn't realize the link didn't show up! Here it is:

http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/haltertopouto_sxwp.htm
lilypickford
That's EXACTLY it! THANKS!!!! biggrin.gif
lilypickford
Now that I read it again, it's not exactly the one... but it's very cool, and I'll certainly make one!! Especially the tip on the DIY halter bra!

The style I saw is shaped exactly like an apron, which ties behind the neck and across the back.
bustygirl
Forgive me for the cross post, but I'm trying to get the word out to whomever might be interested.

The STL Craft Mafia is holding their first-ever DIY Craft Fair on August 18th, and we will be giving out free gift bags to the first 500+ people that show up. If you have an arty or crafty business and want a cheap way to reach like-minded consumers, including some small goods in these goodie bags with your name/business name/website info attached is a good way to do it! We will accept anywhere from 1 to 500 items from you.

Anyone who's interested or needs more info can email me at beqi13@yahoo.com. The deadline for submissions is July 31st. For obvious reasons, we won't be able to accept anything from large corporate and/or fundie groups.

PS--is the She's Crafty thread gone? Or am I just looking in the wrong place?
treehugger
So, are there any knitters in the house? I'm trying my hand at making myself a hooded pullover sweater with a pouch in the front, then it opens up and has three buttons. I'm having a hard time understanding what I'm to do for the front...the directions read as follows:

Front: Work same as back until front measures approximately 10 1/2" from cast on edge, ending by working a purl row.

(okay, I understand that far)

Placket Opening: Row 1: Knit 28 sts, bind off next 5 sts; knit across: 28 sts each side.

Note: Both sides of Placket Opening are worked at the same time, using separate yarn for each side.

(Okay, I'm confused.) I get it in terms of the 28 stitches, binding off, but how does it work when I go to switch from having one skein of yarn to two? How do I get it started? I can visualize the process after that...but how do I introduce that second ball of yarn?

I'd really appreciate it if somebody could explain it to me...I can't figure it out and my knitting books aren't helpful in this regard either.
kiss_the_fiddler
Hmmm. . . I take it you're starting from the bottom hem of the front? Hmmm. . . I think you'd just make a slip knot and start knitting with the new ball for the second half. Remember that you've made an extra stitch with the slip knot so you don't end up with an extra on your way back. I can visualize what you're saying but have no formal knitting experience, just what I manage on my own. That's how I'd do it. Sounds like a cute sweater. Mind if I ask you for the pattern?
kittenb
Wow. This thread had dropped off of the page. I hope to be posting more here now that I have the urge to crochet again. It seems my creative flow has returned!

So now I have a question. I want to make the Garden Scarf from the S'n'B Happy Hookers book. It says to be made with Karabella Ex. Fine Marino Wool which I am pricing at about $8 per skein. How can I figure out if I can substitute this instead?

Thanks for the help.
taligator
The cotton yarn isn't nearly as flexible as the merino will be so it'll lay/hang differently. I don't have my book at the moment so I can't look up that particular pattern but you could give it a shot and see.

If cost is an issue Lion does have a cotton yarn which is amazingly soft and would drape beautifully I think. It's their Organic Cotton yarn. They also have Cotton Ease which is a cotton/acrylic blend which softens the cotton up and gives it some movement.

-=-

I also picked up my hook the other day and started working on some small projects to just get the feeling back into my hands. I enjoy doing crochet more in the cooler months anyway so it's time .. smile.gif

Yay for fall!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.