Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HPV and STDs
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
pixiedust
Good idea in theory I guess...but considering how many people are too embarrassed to even go to the doctor when they are having OBVIOUS symptoms, I doubt it would help anything. the responsible people who would do it are the same ones who would mention it to potential partners. Plus, Men just don't always have as many symptoms as women do.
cloverbee
I think you are totally right.
tatiana
QUOTE(cloverbee @ Jul 16 2006, 11:37 PM) *

Soooo, I have an idea that I would like to propose. I think it would be a good idea if people registered their sexual parts w/ the Health Department. We could all carry around a card that lists our STD's and we would have to get it updated yearly. It would not be illegal for you not to update the card but you may not get laid as often as you'd like if people demanded that it be current. I know it seems rather invasive but I think it would protect a lot of people from serious STD's. bad idea????

Oooh, cloverbee, can I borrow your idea for a short story? I'm sure I could make something out of it. smile.gif There are toilets that can assess your health by analysis your, um, deposits. What if our toilets monitored us that way and physicians were required to report disease to a central database. Then we could "google" potential partners to see what they have or have had. No muss, no fuss, no privacy. Oh well, can't have everything wink.gif
chani
The newly available one is by Merck and is marketed as Gardasil for warts as well as carcinogenic/HSIL strains. It's supposed to be available by the end of the month. There's another by GlaxoSmithKline called Cervarix that only targets the carcinogenic strains.
Unfortunately it's going to be over $300 for the complete set of shots. It works though... as long as you've never had those strains of HPV before... and that's the problem for us! Ideally we'd be giving this to our kids/sibs/little neighbours before they're sexually active.
pixiedust
Chani,
One of the things I've been wondering...I have a very mild, non concerous strain that just produces a few warts at a time...and it seems that my immunity has finally kicked in and gotten it under control. Does this make me ineligible for the vaccine against the canceruos strains? knock on wood, Mr. P is teh last sexual partner I wil have, but I've wondered about the possibility of me spreading it to him, and getting it back from him later on down the road.
pollystyrene
Sorry to jump into the thread, but I can't get a clear answer to my question, and it's not a difficult one!

Can the cold sore-type herpes, like the non-sexual kind you get on your mouth, be transferred to your partner's genitalia during oral sex?

I've had cold sores on and off since I was little, and I'm concerned about performing oral sex, in case it could be transferred to genetalia.

Thanks for your help!
pixiedust
Polly, it depends on where you read your research what answer you'll get. I've decided no one really knows so they say the risk is there. I get cold sores too and just don't perform oral sex during those times. If you don't want to give up oral sex, you could always use a dental dam or something. I figure if I accidently give it to my DH that way, i'm the one who will end up getting it from him and suffering, so better safe than sorry.
pollystyrene
Exactly- everywhere I look, the answer's a little different. But I get them so rarely that I'm not too worried about it. I had one about a year ago and that was the first one in about 10 years. But, yeah, if I gave it to him down there, he could pass it back to me down there. That would suck.
chachaheels
I've always been told (and read, too) that Herpes can be spread from the mouth to the genitalia, especially if contact occurs during the time when the herpes sore is actively contagious (first two weeks of its appearance). So I've always remembered never to have contact!

It still makes sense to me to just be careful and avoid contact when sores are present around the mouth. In my mind, the herpes viruses are not all that different from one another, and they seem to have their virulence in common, no matter what other characteristics they seem to have individually.
alwaysonmymind
o.k. you guys I think I am going to have a Leep soon. What does it feel like? Does it hurt?
chani
QUOTE(pixiedust @ Jul 18 2006, 11:49 PM) *

Chani,
One of the things I've been wondering...I have a very mild, non concerous strain that just produces a few warts at a time...and it seems that my immunity has finally kicked in and gotten it under control. Does this make me ineligible for the vaccine against the canceruos strains? knock on wood, Mr. P is teh last sexual partner I wil have, but I've wondered about the possibility of me spreading it to him, and getting it back from him later on down the road.

Can't help you with that one, pixie. The US regulations and availability is a mystery to me. You probably have the option of having testing for the cancerous strains. If that's negative and you've never had an abnormal pap, it might be worthwhile getting the shot. I don't know if you guys have the ability to test whether you've EVER had a cancerous strain, in which case you'd have fought it off and developed natural immunity and the shot would be worthless.
That's a question for your doc, who can run it by their local Merck rep.
good luck!
margot
Hi Alwaysonmymind,

I had a LEEP. It hurt me, in so much as I kept having sharp little cramps during it, (like little bursts of very bad period pain) although the surgeon thought that could have been due to a recent gynaecological surgery.
They gave me as much anaesthetic as I asked for though, and did offer to stop.

I felt pretty sorry for myself afterwards for a day or so.

Make sure you ask what you're allowed to do afterwards. I had a flight booked the next day, as I was emigrating. AFTER the LEEP, the doctor informed me I couldn't fly for 3 weeks!
He also told me I couldn't lift, excercise, or have sex for 6 weeks.
Would have preferred to have known this in advance. Advice seems to vary though, from doc to doc.

Sorry, that all seems a bit negative! I just had a very insensitive doctor, and was at a stressful time. I know other people aren't as bothered by the procedure.

I hope it all goes well.
p_176
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6071700955.html

i found the above article today on the hpv vaccine. it gives good info on who should and could get the vaccine.

t'is expensive, but insurances will be covering it soon.
pixiedust
Humm...I wonder how they came up with the Magic 26 age? I am 29, I have had one strain...it cleared up in the 2 year period. But I know the chances are good that I have passed it on to Mr. Pixie and I don't really want to get this again in the future. Although I guess in a perfect world the Immunity that got rid of it should keep me protected.

If given the option and insurance would pay for it, I would certainly get the shots.
dynamitedamsel
Hello, I'm new to this thread, but was wandering if I could get some advice? See, here's the thing a couple of years ago I was diagnosed with HPV but it was one of the strains that causes cancer so I dealt with that whole mess, they cryofroze my cervix to rid me of the HPV and cancer cells....it was great I was HPV and cancer free for two years. Now, I that I'm finally back in the dating scene I confirmed my worst fears...the HPV is back but this time it's a wart though; my question is how do I tell him?
bebesho2
Ok..old time bustie here-had to sign back up aftr the server change...

Anyway, I want to discuss this in further later but I need to add to read and learn before getting the vaccine! Please, Please, Please...and not just want Merck tells you! (and yes, I HAD tested positive for a strain of the HPV that the ysay the vaccine helps protect against.)

Thios link is awesome. It has links to the manufacturer, CDC, articles, anti vax stuff and all. A great start!

http://www.vaclib.org/news/2006/gardasil.htm

Gardasil
From the package insert
Virus-like particles of HPV Types 6, 11, 16 and 18.
" The purified VLPs are adsorbed on preformed aluminum-containing adjuvant (amorphous aluminum hydroxyphosphate sulfate). The quadrivalent HPV VLP vaccine is a sterile liquid suspension that is prepared by combining the adsorbed VLPs of each HPV type and additional amounts of the aluminum- containing adjuvant and the final purification buffer."

"Each 0.5-mL dose of the vaccine contains approximately 225 mcg of aluminum (as amorphous aluminum hydroxyphosphate sulfate adjuvant),
9.56 mg of sodium chloride,
0.78 mg of L-histidine,
50 mcg of polysorbate 80,
35 mcg of sodium borate,
and water for injection.
The product does not contain a preservative or antibiotics."

Umm..do you want that injected in you? I think the HPV is much less dangerous than injected ALUMINUM...
pixiedust
bebesho...great to see you again....I rememebr you, but I may have had a different name back then...probably venusrival.

Dynamite....Just be honest. It fits in nicely with the whole birth control speech. By the way, I just wanted you to know..I have HPV...so does half the population...It really isn't a big deal, but if you wanna look it up and know what you are getting yourself into first, I understand.
If you aren't intimate enough to have that convo..you probably shouldn't be sleeping with them anyway...and if he disappears when you tell him, he wasn't the one for you.
tatiana
QUOTE(bebesho2 @ Jul 20 2006, 08:54 PM) *

Umm..do you want that injected in you? I think the HPV is much less dangerous than injected ALUMINUM...

Unless you're going to avoid all vaccinations, you ARE going to get injected with aluminum. All vaccines contain an adjuvant and the most popular one for human use seems to be aluminum.
bebesho2
Personally, I do avoid all vaccinations. For this and many other reasons.

But there are many other reasons to read up regarding this particular vaccine. Even MErck agrees and states HPV is usually harmless (in many cases) and there are dangers in teh vax, especially if you already have HPV. And HPV is so common, even in non sexually active populations. I will bring actual facts asap...lol I am dying my hair and getting it in my eyes right now...

BTW, I am very pro-read and learn everything-do not just do it b/c a doc/commercial/insert it here/ said too.
dynamitedamsel

Dynamite....Just be honest. It fits in nicely with the whole birth control speech. By the way, I just wanted you to know..I have HPV...so does half the population...It really isn't a big deal, but if you wanna look it up and know what you are getting yourself into first, I understand.
If you aren't intimate enough to have that convo..you probably shouldn't be sleeping with them anyway...and if he disappears when you tell him, he wasn't the one for you. [/color]
[/quote]

Pixie....Thanks so much...I know HPV isn't really that big of a deal but now that I've had an outbreak(my first) I need to do some reading up about those strains...any advice on some good sites? It's just I get so nervous because I fear the worst response.
tatiana
QUOTE(bebesho2 @ Jul 21 2006, 06:19 PM) *

Personally, I do avoid all vaccinations. For this and many other reasons.
[snip]
BTW, I am very pro-read and learn everything-do not just do it b/c a doc/commercial/insert it here/ said too.

So do I, and so am I (I am actually changing fields because to make more I would have to get vaccinations and I won't--longer story that of course). Many aren't though, and aluminum--in and of itself--is a common vaccination ingredient which I thought wasn't entirely clear from your post, that's all. smile.gif
pixiedust
I would just google HPV. Unfortunately when they did a thread clean up a few weeks ago they deleted a lot of the archives which had some pretty great information in them. To try and condense a bit for you...about 50-75 % of teh sexually active popluation have or will have HPV. most get no symptoms whatso ever. And a lot of teh wart causing strains aren't all that dangerous, cancer wise. Most people also build up an immunity within 2 years. Something that has worked for several of us is to use Aloe Vera gel on the warts...we don't know why this works exactly, but it has worked for several of us on this board. I use banana Boat brand..it worked better than the Wal Mart brand I used for a while.
I don't really want to sound dismissive about men's reactions...but I haven't had anyone reject me over this yet. Most decent men aren't going to be too concerned about it, especially since they probably have it already. Men tend to be asymptomatic.
dynamitedamsel
My gyno has me using Aldara to treat my wart. Aldara is an immuno response modifier which will Prevent it from growing back in that same spot, the only downside is that Aldara can only be used on the skin so for those who have warts around their vaginal opening it cannot be used.

Pixie....Aloe Vera really?
angelle321
I think I probably used the Aldara closer than I was supposed to but I wanted it gone. I also had better results when I started using Aloe gel as well. The aldara is three days a week and I used the aloe on my off days. Definitely seemed to speed things up.
pixiedust
yep...aloe vera, just like you would put on a sunburn. Someone else did a salt water soak that worked a little bit...there seems to be a moisture issue. Things that dry things up, seem to work well. Aloe, salt water, even neosporine has been mentioned in this thread as thing that seem to help.The neosporin was after the wart had been burn off with acid. I have never used aldara. I had a coupls warts burnt off the first time and then I started using the aloe and got rid of the rest.
bebesho2
I would just google HPV.

Know what? Prior to the "tell someone" campaign and oh so not coincidental approval of the HPV-then amazingly name changed Cancer vax-google turned up a good array of results. Now everything is the same blurb from Merck. That is why I posted the earlier link. Albeit an anti vax site, they include ALL links. Justmy 2cents.

Aloe Vera? While I do not have warts, my little guy has a "common Wart" that will not go away. (Yes, all warts are called HPV btw! but you all probably long know that! lol) We have used everything and his Doc tried to freeze it off but instead horribly blistered the area around the wart and the wart stayed strong! I am losing it and I see another now! I have tried garlic but he takes it off, tea tree he screams it burns (he is 4 years old). Aloe vera sounds gentle-I will so try it!
pixiedust
Well now, Don't I feel foolish! Yes, I knew hpv caused all warts. I even used that to make my mom bak off when she was saying they shouldn't have an hpv vaccine since people wouldn't get it is they just didn't sleep around. I pointed to one of her warts and told her she had hpv. But I get little common warts all over my hands. I ususally use the over the counter acid stuff to take them off. It has never occured to me to use aloe on them even though I was the one who origionally tried aloe on the other warts in here.
angelle321

I was the one who origionally tried aloe on the other warts in here.

and may I just say how glad I am that you did!
pixiedust
I'm glad it helped so many people!
coral
Hi,

I recently had my first outbreak of hpv. How likely is my boyfriend to have an outbreak?
pixiedust
Lots of men are asymptamatic meaning they carry, can pass it to others, but might not ever have a visible lesion. Chances are that if you have, so does he. Either he gave it to you, or you have probably passed it on to him. My doctor told me you can be infected for several years before ever having an outbreak.
catsoup
Re: the HPV vaccine -- I'm a part of GlaxoSmithKline's vaccine trials. I've been in for almost two years. I either got the HPV vaccine or the Hep A vaccine. I don't have HPV and have only had one sexual partner since starting the trial (my current partner). I've had no problems so far and have really enjoyed being a part of this trial. I love the idea of a vaccine for this virus. I firmly believe it will make a big difference globally. Oh and about the age 26 thing? From what I know of the GSK vaccine, it's only been given to women 25 and under. I started at 25 and was told I was at the age limit for participating. I'm guessing they wanted younger women who are more likely to have more sexual partners. (Yes, that's a lousy stereotype.)

Yes, Merck did "happen" to start their HPV awareness campaign right before they got FDA approval which is obnoxious. But as an educator for a teen reproductive health clinic, I'll take any kind of awareness campaign we can get. People do not know about HPV and cervical cancer. Sure they may have heard about genital warts, but HPV? Nada. I love that we now have girls asking questions about HPV because they "saw a commercial on tv" - it's been making a difference. (And I'm someone how thinks the pharmaceutical companies are the root of almost all evil.)

I do think people should learn about their health care, research what they hear, don't just take the media messages as fact. I wish more people did that. But every day I talk with teenage girls who are only worried about herpes, HIV, and pregnancy when they have sex.

Thanks for letting me bust into your conversation. smile.gif
saktii
Yeah, I've been wondering if the aloe would work on "common warts" as well.
pixiedust
I keep forgetting to try it. The two I have on my hands right now are so little I usually don't notice them.
dynamitedamsel
Ok girls...tomorrow's the day, the first day I"ll be seeing CR since I found out about the HPV problem...I'm not really stressing over it but, am just a tad bit nervous though because I'm just not sure how to bring it up. Got any suggestions? Someone mentioned before about bringing it up with the bc issue...the thing is we've already had sex a few times before I discovered the wart, and discussed the other issue (condoms every time)..so see my delima. I came to the conclusion that I'm just not going to stress over it too much because well what's the worst that could happen?...he doesn't want to see me..oh well, my delima is the closer it gets the more nervous I do.
psychicfemme
Hey dynamite,

Just to put a few things in perspective, you may have caught this from him. He could pass you the virus even without any symptoms of his own. You both should get tested for this and other stds while you're at it. You in particular need to know the strain you have to see if it's one associated with cervical cancer.

As far as the talk goes, just tell him you noticed something unusual and went to the doctor. They did some tests and found that you have hpv. Be prepared with some info about it if he has questions, and encourage him to get tested too. I can remember the stats, but I think a very large number of women have been exposed to one form of this or another.

pf
dynamitedamsel
QUOTE(psychicfemme @ Aug 1 2006, 09:50 AM) *

Hey dynamite,

Just to put a few things in perspective, you may have caught this from him. He could pass you the virus even without any symptoms of his own. You both should get tested for this and other stds while you're at it. You in particular need to know the strain you have to see if it's one associated with cervical cancer.

As far as the talk goes, just tell him you noticed something unusual and went to the doctor. They did some tests and found that you have hpv. Be prepared with some info about it if he has questions, and encourage him to get tested too. I can remember the stats, but I think a very large number of women have been exposed to one form of this or another.

pf

I have already had one of the strains that cause cervical cancer but that was a few years ago ... they cryofroze my cervix to remove the "bad" cells. As for contracting it from him, I talked with the doc and since we've used condoms everytime we think it's more likely that I just picked up more than 1 strain and that it's just taken this long to show itself. Although, I had my OB/GYN swab my cervix just to make sure that the cancerous cells aren't reappearing. I did have the whole speal of STD tests done-all negitive except it said that there may be HPV present...I didn't take it too seriously until I discovered the wart. Thanks Psychicfemme.
bella coola
Hey all. I'm getting discouraged. I had warts diagnosed about two months ago, and frozen off. I haven't found a recurrence as of yet (touch wood), and I want to know what the likelyhood of a recurrence in the future might be. It was a mild infection and I take pretty good care of myself (try to!) so I'm hoping that it will be the sort that is resolved/supressed sooner than later. It's all so bloody vague; 'maybe the warts are less contagious when they aren't visible, but it's possible that that's inaccurate. And maybe if you don't have a recurrence shortly after the first outbreak you won't have one unless your immune system becomes very weak - but it's possible that that is untrue'. ARG!!!!! I've heard it said that there are no true 'facts' in the world of medicine, it's all statistics and hypotheses. But really - is anyone doing any research on the bloody virus?! Must not be much prescription drug money in it for them. So frustrating. The only reason I'm really concerned about it is to be able to be able to inform a potential partner about it - but, I guess I can just tell how little is known about it! And how common it is. Sigh. It's good to hear that fellas don't often seem to kick up a big fuss over it, if anyone could keep the encouragement going it would be MOST appreciated! Also - more info would warrant some major thanks. At the very least thank you for listening (reading)!
pixiedust
bella...there really isn't a lot of info out there. It's been brought up before that for something so common, there seems to be little research being done about it. When I found out I had it I combed the internet for as much info as I could find. I also had a really great doctor at Planned Parenthood who was really patient and answered all of my questions.
From what she told me, and I will preface this by saying there is a lot of contradictory information out there on every aspect of this disease, if you are older(as in over 25) fairly healthy, and fairly manogomous, chances are you might never have another outbreak. I think it all has to do with riskfactors associated with being reinfected. I was also told I could have been carrying it for as long as 2 years before I ever had an outbreak. At the time I was diagnosed(about 3 years ago) there wasn't the DNA test available to determine the strain. So at least some progress is being made. Again, this may be outdated information, but she told me that they didn't really know why, but most people end up building up an immunity to it after a while.
With the new vaccine out, I'm sure there will be tons of information available, of course, you have to take it with a grain of salt;the pharmacedical companies only put the information out there that they want you to know or that makes them look the best.
dynamitedamsel
QUOTE(bella coola @ Aug 4 2006, 02:36 PM) *

Hey all. I'm getting discouraged. I had warts diagnosed about two months ago, and frozen off. I haven't found a recurrence as of yet (touch wood), and I want to know what the likelyhood of a recurrence in the future might be. It was a mild infection and I take pretty good care of myself (try to!) so I'm hoping that it will be the sort that is resolved/supressed sooner than later. It's all so bloody vague; 'maybe the warts are less contagious when they aren't visible, but it's possible that that's inaccurate. And maybe if you don't have a recurrence shortly after the first outbreak you won't have one unless your immune system becomes very weak - but it's possible that that is untrue'. ARG!!!!! I've heard it said that there are no true 'facts' in the world of medicine, it's all statistics and hypotheses. But really - is anyone doing any research on the bloody virus?! Must not be much prescription drug money in it for them. So frustrating. The only reason I'm really concerned about it is to be able to be able to inform a potential partner about it - but, I guess I can just tell how little is known about it! And how common it is. Sigh. It's good to hear that fellas don't often seem to kick up a big fuss over it, if anyone could keep the encouragement going it would be MOST appreciated! Also - more info would warrant some major thanks. At the very least thank you for listening (reading)!

Bella,

I was diagnosed with warts about a month ago and well, to tell you the truth the aspect of having to tell my current partner scared the living hell out of me. But, after having told him today I feel so relieved...his reaction was soo not what I expected..thank god! I was origionally diagnosed about two years ago with one of the cancer causing strains and that was a piece of cake for me to deal with emotionally...and virtually pain free, well except for the biopsy they had to perform to ensure it wasn't just precancerous cells...I had the cancer removed with cryosurgery...and from the way it was explained to me I was cancer and HPV free...now two years later I had a outbreak with a wart..Dr. says it's more likely that I've had this strain since the time I was first infected because CR and I have always used condoms. You're right..there are no real clear facts which is soo frustrating but, I was told it's most likely that I will never have another outbreak unlees I was to become pregnant. For some reason Drs have found that most pregnant women who have had a previous outbreak will end up having serious outbreaks during their pregnancy. Right now I am treating myself with Aldera, a cream which will dimish the wart and prevent it from coming back..only bad thing is it takes 8 to 12 wks for the completion of treatment.

QUOTE(psychicfemme @ Aug 1 2006, 09:50 AM) *

Hey dynamite,

pf

Thanks Doll, we had the talk today and CR was completely understanding....plus it was the best O I've ever experienced, finally relief and no worries of him running off.
pixiedust
QUOTE(dynamitedamsel @ Aug 4 2006, 11:40 PM) *

For some reason Drs have found that most pregnant women who have had a previous outbreak will end up having serious outbreaks during their pregnancy.

Uggh! I hadn't heard that before. Hopefully, since I seem to have built up my immunity *knock on wodd* I won't hav eto deal with this all over again when Mr. Pixie and I have children.
greenbean
Okay, hope I'm not derailing but I have a question. Brit boy and I want to have sex without a condom. He got tested yesterday to make sure hes all good to go, and I planned on doing the same.
Problem is, since I dont have any STD symptoms, I'm having a real hard time getting an appointment. I can get HIV testing easy at a drop-in clinic, but as for all the other stuff, no one is making room for me!
My question is should I even bother? I've know lots of people with stds that had symptoms, but I've never known anyone to get surprise results, like find out they have something when they had no symptoms.
All the clinics' website say you CAN have something without symptoms, but the message they are sending me is "but if you dont have symptoms then we dont have time for you".
By the way, my last pap was in March and was normal,..since then I have had unprotected sex once, with someone I trusted but who ever knows really. Any insight is much appreciated!
punkerplus
[size=1]Greenbean, I'm totally stalking you across the lounge

[size=3]I am by far not an expert or professional or whatever, but what about Chlamydia? I know that can have no symptoms in women.

But I have no idea on how to make them give you an appointment.
greenbean
Haha! No prob punker, yer a cute stalker!

Yeah, I guess my question is if I cant get checked out before he gets here, should I go ahead and have condom-less sex with him anyway? (granted that his results are negative)
I guess I feel like as long as I dont have HIV, anything else is curable right? (except HPV and herpes, but condoms dont always stop that anyway, right?)
_octinoxate
Greenbean, man, what a drag. Where do you live? If you're in a decent-sized city it seems there should be plenty of places to get checked out. Did you try planned parenthood? County Health? Crisis Pregnancy Centers? (The latter I find to be somewhat obnoxious as they push an abstinence-based Christian agenda, but they get the job done.)

Personally, I wouldn't have sex with the guy without a condom, for several reasons:

1. As you said, you can't be sure the other dude you slept with unprotected was trustworthy. It's probably a good idea to get checked out after that anyway.

2. Condoms do provide some protection against HPV and herpes (which your boy was NOT tested for because those tests are not available as general screenings... and you can have either or those without knowing it yet still being able to pass it on).

3. There are plenty of STIs that can be asymptomatic for a long time. Even if they're curable, why put yourself (or him) through the worry, physical discomfort, and expense of diagnosing and curing it later?

4. Using a condom isn't that big a deal, right? My M.O. is generally that condomless sex is worth the managed risk if you're going to be in an ongoing relationship, but if it's just a fling, why bother potentially exposing yourself or the other person?

I bet you could talk your way into an appointment. Maybe you could tell the (half-) truth that you had sex with someone unprotected who wasn't tested and you're worried about it. Or if that doesn't work, you might even want to lie and claim some general symptom, say, painful intercourse or itching/burning. Heavy discharge. Something like that. Any of those can be later chalked up to a yeast infection that went away on its own. Lying like that may or may not be unethical. I don't know. But it's an option, anyway. Good luck.
greenbean
Yeah, octin. I think I'm gonna lie about symptoms to try and get an appointment. Unethical maybe, but I've been trying to get in for two weeks, and I'm just trying to do the responsible thing here! There are more places I can try too that are out of my area...we'll see!
sweetmelissa
Hey y'all

Just thought I'd post that I had my first Gardasil vaccine today. I know that a lot of folks have questions about it. I'm pretty stoked about the vaccine. I have one more in October, then another in February.
saktii
QUOTE(greenbean @ Aug 6 2006, 09:26 PM) *

Yeah, octin. I think I'm gonna lie about symptoms to try and get an appointment. Unethical maybe, but I've been trying to get in for two weeks, and I'm just trying to do the responsible thing here! There are more places I can try too that are out of my area...we'll see!

Greenbean- try the Golden Gate PP on Eddy st. in the city. They always seem to have appointments open right away.
tatiana
QUOTE(sweetmelissa @ Aug 11 2006, 07:33 PM) *

Hey y'all

Just thought I'd post that I had my first Gardasil vaccine today. I know that a lot of folks have questions about it. I'm pretty stoked about the vaccine. I have one more in October, then another in February.

I'm jealous! My doctor's office called and said I needed to come and to talk about my Pap results so I stewed for a few days before I could get in and then it turns out the receptionist was wrong and it was my iron level. mad.gif I'd love not to have to worry about HPV!
_octinoxate
Melissa, how did you get the vaccine already? I called Planned Parenthood and they told me it's not available until October and then there's a wait list. Oh- Are you the one who's in a clinical trial?

Also: my insurance told me they're not planning to cover the vaccine. I think that's such bullshit. Does anyone else know if their insurance company is going to do better?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.