Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HPV and STDs
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
sweet_theresa
Oh used don't do anything rash. One out of every five people you know has herpes. Four out of five people you know will contract HPV in their lifetime. And for most people who contract those viruses the symptoms actually burn out over time. You are not a freak, you are not dirty, your chances for happiness and kids and a good relationship and great sex in life are far from over. In fact, statistically, you are actually a deviant if you are not carrying one of those viruses. It's also unlikely that you could really know where you got it from, condoms don't necessarily prevent those things. For all you or your boyfriend know, you could have got it from him! All the stigma that accompanies herpes and HPV is way overblown because there is so much fear and stigma surrounding sex.
knorl05
..&confused: it has not only "happened" to you... it happens to everyone. every person in the world contracts viruses everyday, whether it be the flu virus, aids, hpv, herpes, etc. these things are out there. it's a part of life. but like sweet_theresa said, the main reason people feel such shame over some viruses and not others is because of the stigma attached to them. we are exposed to bacteria, viruses, molds, etc everyday.. whether or not we contract something or show symptoms is dependent upon a lot of different factors. you cant worry yourself over it, you just cant. because then you'll be living your life in fear of living your life. do what you can to protect yourself, educate yourself, but then just let go. no one person is ever going to have perfect health throughout the duration of their lifetime. people get colds, measels, lice, chicken pox, headaches, allergies, cancer, and hpv along with a whole TON of other health concerns during their time on earth. that's just how it is. that's why we have the science and medical fields to help us understand and hopefully combat them.

basically what i'm saying is it's normal to be afflicted with something unfavorable throughout your lifetime. the thing that matters is how you choose to deal with it.
knorl05
check out this link about the hpv vac and some of its more serious side effects
prvtpuss
i wonder how long it will take them to recommend it be given to boys as well. i really think they should have been testing the HPV vaccine's efficacy in males at the same time as they were testing it in females. especially now that they've linked HPV to throat cancer in men and women. oral sex is NOT safe. un-freaking-believable sleep.gif
fuego_lento
Either the HPV vaccine or the one in development for herpes -- one of them, I just don't recall which right now -- turned out to be ineffective in male test subjects, and only had an effect on women. Oddly enough. So that *may* be why the HPV vaccine is being marketed so aggressively toward women and totally ignoring the menfolk.
dani1983
QUOTE(sassy @ Sep 28 2007, 07:19 AM) *
used: Calm down! Some 75% (or some crazy high number like that) of women have been exposed to HPV. There is no way to really know if a guy has it or not unless he currently has genital warts. A lot of women don't even get the warts...they just have to have their cervix monitored for cancerous changes. Are you sure you are talking about HPV? I wasn't aware that there was a pill for this...

I know. As I just posted in another thread, I was JUST diagnosed with HPV too. and what did I learn from this? To be more careful next time! Used&Confused, I cried for like an hour when I found out I had hpv, but then I remembered that the doctor said that 80% of americans have had/has hpv and most of them never find out! You should consider yourself lucky for finding out about it now, and not later(when it could develop into cancer). I don't have any warts or anything, not an indication of having hpv WHATSOEVER, except an abnormal pap smear. I'm 99% sure that my ex bf gave it to me, since he's a dirty a***le. Last time we had sex was august 2006, and after him I had sex with 2 more guys but I used condoms(and they were good, clean guys), so i KNOW that it was him. Darn these guys for never showing symptoms! Hopefully, since they say hpv can clear itself out in more or less 2 years, that means I have one more year to go, woohoo! If not, o well. I'm trying to be as positive with this as I can. I'm young and healthy, so I hope my body will clean it up soon! I have to go this wednesday to get the results of my biopsy. I've been waiting for 2 weeks for these results, and I'm pretty sure they won't be bad ones (like, if I had some form of cancer they would have called me as soon as they found out, right? or something like that). So I'm expecting them to be like "so yeah, you have it. see you in 6 months for a new pap smear." I don't know why they made me get a biopsy, I almost fainted :'( I know its just to be sure that nothing will get worse, BUT I'm hemophobic for god's sake, I can't deal with anything cutting ANYTHING in my hoohah :'( (even though I have a piercing down there....don't even ask haha!).
So this is how I found out I had hpv.
Like 4 months ago I went to get my annual pap exam done. Then, like 3 or 2 1/2 months ago, I got a letter saying that my pap smear came back with abnormal cells so I needed to go get checked. So I made an appointment (the date they gave me was someday 2 months later, but I was supposed to have my period then so I delayed it 2 weeks).When I went to get my colcoscopy done 2 weeks ago, they sat me down, explained what they were going to do, and then they were like "is this the first time you've been diagnosed with hpv?" . I was liek WHAAAATT?!?!?!?!? NOBODY TOLD ME I HAD HPV!!!!! The lady was like "oh they didn't? well you do, but dont be worried, its not bad. 80% of people have it at least once in their lives". I almost fainted. But then I was like well, f***, ok. Then they told me that if they found something weird in my colcosopy, they would perform a biopsy in me. So they did the colcoscopy, and they said, ok, biopsy time. I was so SCARED, I was like what please don't tell me I have cancer or something. And the doctor said that it was just a routine procedure, that it didn't seem like I had anything bad at all, but they just wanted to be 100% sure. The thing that made me feel better is that they said that I only had one small area with abnormal cells (instead of all over the place, you know?) and the nurse told me that when they first got my pap smear back, my result rate was grade 1 (of grade 1 to 3), grade 1 being the less dangerous, and grade 3 being the worst. Needless to say, I'm still a bit nervous about going to get my results this wednesday, but I'm pretty sure I won't have cancer (as I said before, if it was something THAT bad they would have called me already as soon as they got the results).
By the way, is having a weird smell down there is a "sign" of hpv? or maybe I just have bacterial vaginosis (as I posted in the other BV thread?) I love how I stress myself out to the max. Everybody, cross your fingers for me!!
dani1983
Just as an update... I went to the gyno today and got the results back. Thanks GOD I have nothing to worry about, the hpv is in its "first"stage, meaning I don't need treatement or anything, just wait months and go back.
By the way, I found out I dont have BV. Seems like having sex 2 days after getting the biopsy done was not well received by my hoohah tongue.gif No infections either, but the doc still did a chlamydia/gonnorhea exam JUST in case. Although he says I probably have nothing to worry about. THANKS GOD. Girls, be careful of who you sleep with!
prvtpuss
I'm sure it's been posted here, but just to remind, the HPV strains that can cause cervical cancer are not the same strains of HPV that cause the visual warts.
prvtpuss
QUOTE(fuego_lento @ Oct 10 2007, 06:50 PM) *
Either the HPV vaccine or the one in development for herpes -- one of them, I just don't recall which right now -- turned out to be ineffective in male test subjects, and only had an effect on women. Oddly enough. So that *may* be why the HPV vaccine is being marketed so aggressively toward women and totally ignoring the menfolk.

i checked this out and found that:

"The Phase III trial involved 1,529 people who received a three-dose regimen of the vaccine -- known as Gardasil -- over a six-month period. The study found that males and females ages 10 to 15 produced a higher level of antiviral antibodies to HPV than women ages 16 to 23 (Reuters, 5/20). Among 10- to 15-year-old girls and boys, 99.9% of participants developed antibody responses to HPV strain 18, compared with 99.1% among 16- to 23-year-old women, according to the study (AP/Yahoo! News, 5/19). All participants experienced 100% antibody responses to the other three HPV strains -- types 6, 11 and 16 (Merck release, 5/19). Antibody levels for all four types of HPV were significantly higher among the adolescent boys and girls than among women in the older age group."

So basically, it works best before the age of 15 and it works for boys as well as girls. I guess they're still just focusing on cervical cancer, but soon enough I'm sure they will admit that everyone should have the vaccine to eliminate head/neck/oral/throat cancers.
amazonprincess
ETA clean bill of health.
sixelacat
Welcome *your name here*! New threads are fairly rare, as unlike many other boards they are not used here for one single discussion but generally for an ongoing topic that can have several discussions (and re-discussions) in it. There are several forums (such as The F-Word, Media Whores, Our Bodies Our Hells), and each forum has many topic threads. If there is something specific you are looking to discuss or share, chances are there is a thread for it.

For example, if you're looking to discuss a good movie, the Reel Life thread in the Media Whores forum would be the place to go. Or, if you wanted to discuss female beauty standards in Western culture, you could pop into the Constructing/De-Constructing the Pretty Girl thread in the F-Word forum. The only reason the posts in most of our threads don't go back literally years is due to the old software this board used to use. But still, most threads do go back for a year or two, and the discussions generally make for thoughtful reading.

If you do find there's something you want to discuss and can't find an existing thread for it, the Community Forum is exactly the place to ask! smile.gif Someone will point you in the right direction, or even bump the thread to the top of the board for you to make it easy for you to find. That way, everyone gets the benefit of all the older posts on the topic as well as your new one!

I hope that makes navigating the board a little easier for you. Enjoy!

*many pardons to the BUSTies already utilizing this thread*
psychicfemme
Please drop by the HIV testing poll on the HIV thread if you have not already done so!

pf
fuego_lento
What I said a month ago about a vaccine for either herpes or HPV being ineffective in men...

I was looking online and found an old article mentioning a herpes vaccine that is ineffective in men: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...754C0A9659C8B63 (scroll down about 1/3 of the article).
This is the 2002 press release from the National Institutes of Health announcing the start of the clinical trial for the vaccine, and mentioning about a 70 percent efficacy rate in women but no clear effect in men: http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/nov2002/niaid-20.htm
This is the website for the clinical trial for the Herpevac study: http://www.niaid.nih.gov/dmid/stds/herpevac/ As far as I know, the study is still under way.

And I think this is actually a totally different herpes vaccine study from 2006 that also looks promising: http://www.montana.edu/cpa/news/nwview.php?article=4115
_octinoxate
bump for a bustie
prisma83
(thank you so much oxtinoxate. I'm so new to this.)...I'll repost what I posted earlier today in the Lets Talk About Sex forum...

I'm not really sure how this works but my best friend recommended I come here to for help. I went to the emergency room last night in extreme pain and found out I have herpes. I am very confused and have so many questions. It seems like the women here would have good advice I can trust. Basically I was raped about 3 months ago. I didn't get tested right away. I know I should have. I just wanted it to all go away. I met someone who was helping me through it. We slept together without a condom and have been sleeping together for the last few months now. It was stupid, I know. We were going to go get tested together but with the holidays and all it just kept getting put off. However, after 3 months no symptoms showed up on either of us so our fingers were crossed that if it wasn't HIV we were probably fine. He had been in a relationship for 9 months before me, been tested, was clean before he met me- so i don't think i could have got it from him. the rape was 3 months ago - would it take this long for symptoms to show up? the only other sexual activity I've had has been with two other people - one was with the guy I'm with and another girl. we both fisted her and they both went down on me. he went down on her and so did i but he didn't fuck her. his genitals didn't touch hers and neither did mine. and that episode was also a month ago. could i have gotten it that way and if so why haven't either of us shown any oral or genital signs of it until now a MONTH later?? also, i has oral sex with another guy around the same time and he also went down on me for a bit. but that was a month ago as well. he also didn't show any signs of any bumps (i know that doesn't really matter) and also all of the sexual contact we have had has been with people who are our friends and we think we can trust so i assume they would say if they knew if they had herpes before being sexual with us. and how likely is it to pass along genital herpes orally? and don't symptoms show up in 2-14 days? why so long? i am confused. also having my terrible painful first outbreak as i write this i am frustrated and confused and there is so much about this disease that sounds like rumor. does anyone know how i likely could have gotten this? or any other information or advice. herpes isn't really the best way to bring in the new year.

Oxtinate helped answer a few questions for me. Everyone seems so nice here. But I am also wondering...can you pass type 2 herpes orally as well if there is no genital contact, just mouth to genital contact? Also, I'm trying to trace where I got this so I can figure out who I have to tell who I've had sexual contact with. If it came from the rapist jerk that really sucks because he's my boss and I know he has done things to some other girls at work I'll have to tell them about it to? I don't know. Where does people's privacy vs. health safety come into play? its very politically sensitive to let this out at work. but i am worried about these girls if i got it from him. and if i didn't it will be publicly embarrassing for a lot of people. erg. i don't know how to handle this.
thank you so much for everyone for taking the time to help me. xoxoxoxo.
mollychan
first off, i'm sorry you're going through this, prisma. i wish i could offer you some advice, but i'm a little bit useless in that area. sad.gif hence my own rambling questions...

i posted this in the yeast infection thread too, but i don't think that's what's happening so i'm posting everywhere i can think it might be relevant.

i've been feeling a little irritated after sex in general, but for the past few days i've been super itchy. there's no discharge and nothing looks red down there, but i keep catching myself wanting to just reach down and scratch like crazy (eew). could this just be general irritation? i'm trying to tell myself that it's a result of other factors. for example, i just started back on the pill, i just started riding a stationary bike a lot, and my guy is good with the oral (yessss) but has facial hair.

so hopefully it's one of those factors, but i'm paranoid that it could be a sign of returning hpv, which i was originally diagnosed with about 2 1/2 years ago, but last year was told there were no signs of it. could this be a different kind of infection? maybe a reaction to the condoms? i can't figure it out.
werebunny666
QUOTE(prisma83 @ Jan 5 2008, 06:50 AM) *
(thank you so much oxtinoxate. I'm so new to this.)...I'll repost what I posted earlier today in the Lets Talk About Sex forum...

I'm not really sure how this works but my best friend recommended I come here to for help. I went to the emergency room last night in extreme pain and found out I have herpes. I am very confused and have so many questions. It seems like the women here would have good advice I can trust. Basically I was raped about 3 months ago. I didn't get tested right away. I know I should have. I just wanted it to all go away. I met someone who was helping me through it. We slept together without a condom and have been sleeping together for the last few months now. It was stupid, I know. We were going to go get tested together but with the holidays and all it just kept getting put off. However, after 3 months no symptoms showed up on either of us so our fingers were crossed that if it wasn't HIV we were probably fine. He had been in a relationship for 9 months before me, been tested, was clean before he met me- so i don't think i could have got it from him. the rape was 3 months ago - would it take this long for symptoms to show up? the only other sexual activity I've had has been with two other people - one was with the guy I'm with and another girl. we both fisted her and they both went down on me. he went down on her and so did i but he didn't fuck her. his genitals didn't touch hers and neither did mine. and that episode was also a month ago. could i have gotten it that way and if so why haven't either of us shown any oral or genital signs of it until now a MONTH later?? also, i has oral sex with another guy around the same time and he also went down on me for a bit. but that was a month ago as well. he also didn't show any signs of any bumps (i know that doesn't really matter) and also all of the sexual contact we have had has been with people who are our friends and we think we can trust so i assume they would say if they knew if they had herpes before being sexual with us. and how likely is it to pass along genital herpes orally? and don't symptoms show up in 2-14 days? why so long? i am confused. also having my terrible painful first outbreak as i write this i am frustrated and confused and there is so much about this disease that sounds like rumor. does anyone know how i likely could have gotten this? or any other information or advice. herpes isn't really the best way to bring in the new year.

Oxtinate helped answer a few questions for me. Everyone seems so nice here. But I am also wondering...can you pass type 2 herpes orally as well if there is no genital contact, just mouth to genital contact? Also, I'm trying to trace where I got this so I can figure out who I have to tell who I've had sexual contact with. If it came from the rapist jerk that really sucks because he's my boss and I know he has done things to some other girls at work I'll have to tell them about it to? I don't know. Where does people's privacy vs. health safety come into play? its very politically sensitive to let this out at work. but i am worried about these girls if i got it from him. and if i didn't it will be publicly embarrassing for a lot of people. erg. i don't know how to handle this.
thank you so much for everyone for taking the time to help me. xoxoxoxo.

actually with herpes people can have it and go for years with out showing symptoms
HSV-1 and HSV-2 can be found in and released from the sores that the viruses cause, but they also are released between outbreaks from skin that does not appear to have a sore. Generally, a person can only get HSV-2 infection during sexual contact with someone who has a genital HSV-2 infection. Transmission can occur from an infected partner who does not have a visible sore and may not know that he or she is infected.

HSV-1 can cause genital herpes, but it more commonly causes infections of the mouth and lips, so-called “fever blisters.” HSV-1 infection of the genitals can be caused by oral-genital or genital-genital contact with a person who has HSV-1 infection. Genital HSV-1 outbreaks recur less regularly than genital HSV-2 outbreaks.

thats some of what i found out ..
LoveLife
Hi... well so my bf of almost a year just had an outbreak of herpes. i have never had an outbreak and we are both faithful. it's very strange and he is super bummed about it. i am not having any symptoms. as far as i know... are there other symptoms to have that are not bumps? i am not new to infections that's for sure. i get chronic BV and yeast all the time. but everytime i am tested it is those and not herpes. anyone have any advice for any natural ways to try and heal the sores? ingested or topically? he also has such a bad sore throat he is having trouble eating. is that common? i have no idea what to think about this. he has not been with very many people, i have been with quite a few more, but never had this or anything else luckily, been tested and never positive for anything. we are lucky to have eachother i guess though! should we always use condoms from on? he may have had one before this, but it was so small and was like chaffing, no bumps. (this was like chaffing too, but there was one little pustule, so we figured it was herpes.) and it seems to happen only when we don't use condoms, which happens once a month. any advice would be greatly appreciated. i love this forum! we are so lucky to have each other on here. smile.gif
stargazer
are his herpes active? meaning, that they are draining or oozing. you want to be careful that you don't catch herpes as well. condoms definitely help prevent the spread of herpes.
pepper
yesterday when the little mister came home from school it looked like he had been licking below his lower lip, you know how kids do that, it was irritated and red. he doesn't usually do that so i talked to him about stopping because it was making his skin dry out. well, this morning he came downstairs and told me that he had yawned and his lip cracked and hurt and i took a look and saw what looked like an irritated patch. i thought it was just from the licking but today after school he has a big cakey puss-y mess there and i am pretty sure it's a cold sore.
HOW did this happen? i don't get them, we haven't had anyone over or been anywhere, he doesn't share food or drinks with the kids at school or drink from the fountain. i called the school and his teacher hasn't noticed any of the other kids with breakouts. it's an unpleasant mystery.
my 6 year old has herpes. i am distraught.
is there anything that i can do beyond what i come up with in google that will help prevent and treat this? any secrets you know that you can share with me? he's stuck with this for the rest of his life, poor boy, so i want to help make it as bearable as possible for him. and i REALLY want to make sure that the baby doesn't get it too! i'm pretty sure that i'm immune but i don't think that keeps me from being a carrier and passing it along to the wee girl too. yikes!
lisa1
Hello,
I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place. I just noticed that inside my vagina, there is a white film-like appearance. I don't know how else to describe it other than when I look in there, it looks white inside instead of the usual pink. What's strange about it is it doesn't go away with washing or wiping, and when i touch it, I don't end up with any of it on my finger (visibly) and it doesn't seem to 'move around' like regular discharge. Its really freaking me out. i have an appointment in a few days but I'm just looking for some input/support. Thanks,
Lisa

Also, I should note, I have HSV1- could that be it? Could it be a symptom? I've never had symtoms like this one before.
culturehandy
Hi Lisa!

I'll answer your question, but also check out the general health question thread as well. I have a white film in my vag as well, and I've been tested numerous times in the past year (like 7!) and it's just me, but see doctor and see what your doc has to say.
damselindistress
QUOTE(saktii @ May 10 2006, 02:46 PM) *
even my MOTHER has it, and she's not exactly the sleeping around kind!

You there? I came across this blog, and wanted to ask you a question. Do you think you could ask your mother if she had HPV when you were born? I am just so certain that it is being passed from mother to child much more frequently than drs believe. We're told that HPV is RARELY passed and that having a child is safe, but I'm not so sure. I had the virus myself when I had my daughter at 20. I hadn't had any symptoms at the time, doctors said all was well and yet my 14-year-old daughter has symptoms of the virus. I've read of so many women whose mothers also have it.....coincidence? I also think HPV is the reason we all have recurrent vaginal infections, even my daughter, viral vaginitis, but the drs just say no, no not related.
damselindistress
QUOTE(sassy @ Sep 26 2007, 09:53 AM) *
peach: My mom has had the LEEP procedure and she said it wasn't too bad. She was put to sleep for it and she said there was just cramping and bleeding afterward. I think you have to abstain from sex for about a month, too, while your cervix is healing. I'm not sure about the fertility issues.
In HPV related news, I got my first Gardisil shot yesterday and it hurt! Ow. I'm glad I'm doing it, though.

Sassy, you think you could ask your mom if she was aware of the HPV when she had you? I think I passed it to my daughter, but drs. say "nah". I keep finding women with these issues have mothers with the virus too.
crazyoldcatlady
per stargazers request:

cocl's reasons for personally getting the gardasil vaccine ('cos i like lists; no particular order):

1. Association with the development of cervical dysplasia [low-grade (LGSIL), high-grade (HGSIL)] and cancer; increasing evidence of association of throat and oral dysplasia and cancer. **

**i've got referrences, if anyone's interested. but i thought it'd be overkill.

2. Prevention is better than treatment: i'd rather have three inconveniently-spaced shots that hurt (yes, your shoulder may hurt for a few days) than a cervical biopsy or a LEEP/cone excision. the latter can cause cervical stenosis (narrowing of the canal; making the cervix less able to dialate during pregnancy and therefore c-section, and may even narrowly affect chances at pregnancy. this all assumes that your LEEP doesn't show that you need ADDITIONAL surgery, which can be more radical and locally damagin. PLUS, no sex for a month?????*)

*says the girl on an involuntary sexy times hiatus x 5mo

3. So you're a crazy, Sarah Palin abstinence only parent, and your little girl would NEVER have sex outside marriage and therefore doesn't need the shot? Fine. So Sarah Jr. is a virgin until marriage, but on the wedding night Johnny McFrisky passes along the latent infection he acquired somewhere along the way. WHOOPS.

4. So you've already got HPV? Some studies suggest that getting the vaccine may help aid in the regression. Also, say you've got strain X. The vaccine covers X, Y, Z, so you can at least help prevent the acquisition of Y and Z.

5. Say the random-controlled trials were conducted by monkeys on acid, and it actually is no more effective than placebo. You break even. Assuming that it's not just a governmental conspiracy to tag unsuspecting women for alien-human hybridization. but every medical intervention has side effects or potential downside, even if they're not known at the time of introduction. it all comes back to acceptible risk. for me, potential side effects, known and unknown, were an acceptible risk to take to prevent the potential worst-case scenario.

I don't necessarily think it should be mandatory for school, however. Mandatory vaccinations should include those easily communicable and tragic to other children: measles, mumps, ruebella, diptheria, etc... If someone thinks that their child shouldn't have it, fine. but make an informed decision.

the only downside to not making it mandatory (that i've heard) is that low income/medicaid won't cover it, thus the girls seemingly more in need of it can't get it (meaning not that poor girls are "easy", but that they're less likely to have regular medical care, including screening tests like pap smears and std screenings).

SO, stargazer, if you decide ('cos it's all up to ya'lls own decision; the reasons above are why i got it), check with your insurance to make sure it's covered since you're outside the age range.
stargazer
thanks cocl! wink.gif have they done studies with women older than the age range?
sassy
QUOTE(damselindistress @ Jun 11 2008, 12:48 PM) *
Sassy, you think you could ask your mom if she was aware of the HPV when she had you? I think I passed it to my daughter, but drs. say "nah". I keep finding women with these issues have mothers with the virus too.

I'm fairly certain she has only recently had problems with HPV/cervical dysplasia, so I don't think she had it when I was born 23-years ago. unsure.gif

That said, I had mild cervical dysplasia a couple of years ago and had to have a biopsy. I've been clear for the past couple years, though. I think the girl my husband was with before me had it because she had to have a biopsy right before they broke up.
crazyoldcatlady
star, i haven't officially looked at the studies on age; most is anecdotal/what my own obgyn doc told me:

basically, part of the age recommendations come as a result of the reasoning that the female is most likely to be exposed to the virus during this time period due to increased likelihood of multiple partners; it assumes that by 26 or so, our vaginas have been closed for business (i.e., now in a monogamous relationship)-- less partners = less chance of exposure. but we know better.

from an immunologic standpoint, the teen may be able to mount a better response to the virus after having the vaccine than the adult, generally speaking. but the adult can still respond, perhaps just not with as much gusto as the teen, but still effectively.

p_176
there was no research that i could find based on age. there is no research either toward how HPV affects men (ie, would men benefit from the vaccine too). my dermatologist told me there were preliminary studies that showed people who already had HPV benefitted from the vaccine because it stimulated the immune system to fight the virus. i have not been able to find information in the internet about those studies.
dayglowpink
So I just got my first abnormal pap smear. I'm 32, and they've always been fine. I know all the rational details like that it may be a false positive and that it will most likely be fine in 6 months, etc., etc., but I still freaked out when I was talking to my doctor on the phone. I don't even know for sure if I have HPV at this point, and I know this isn't a huge deal to say the least, but I'm kinda bummed and concerned still. I was always so happy that I had never had it and thought maybe I had been exposed when I was younger and cleared it. I decided last year not to get the vaccine, and now I'm kicking myself for that, too! Also my boyfriend and I have unprotected sex with a few select other partners, and now I'm all guilty like I've exposed them to it or something. It's just as likely someone gave it to me, and I know too that it can still be passed even with condoms, but anyway, it's just a bummer, and I really hope things work out okay.
crazyoldcatlady
dayglow, did you get an ASCUS (or AGUS?) An LGSIL or HGSIL? basically, did they give you the exact wording of the cytology report, or did they just tell you "abnormal cells" over the phone? because each entity i listed above falls under the "abnormal" category, but mean different things. i'm assuming, since you just have to get rescreened in 6 mo, that it's probably an ASCUS, in which case can happen for a variety of different reasons [benign: inflammation, infection, "that ONE cell just looks a little wonky adn we're not comfortable calling it totally normal so we'll just get closer monitoring" vs. dysplasia (still; even on the low-end LGSIL/CIN I/HPV effect, it's still possible to clear the infection on your own)] so DON'T freak out yet!

p176, they're just starting to look into men and the vaccine, but yeah, nothing firm yet.
damselindistress
QUOTE(dayglowpink @ Nov 5 2008, 09:32 PM) *
So I just got my first abnormal pap smear. I'm 32, and they've always been fine. I know all the rational details like that it may be a false positive and that it will most likely be fine in 6 months, etc., etc., but I still freaked out when I was talking to my doctor on the phone. I don't even know for sure if I have HPV at this point, and I know this isn't a huge deal to say the least, but I'm kinda bummed and concerned still. I was always so happy that I had never had it and thought maybe I had been exposed when I was younger and cleared it. I decided last year not to get the vaccine, and now I'm kicking myself for that, too! Also my boyfriend and I have unprotected sex with a few select other partners, and now I'm all guilty like I've exposed them to it or something. It's just as likely someone gave it to me, and I know too that it can still be passed even with condoms, but anyway, it's just a bummer, and I really hope things work out okay.

Dayglowpink, be sure to ask for the HPV DNA test next time you get the PAP. Being 32, I'm surprised they didn't offer it to you anyway. Even that isn't 100% accurate, especially with low risk HPV, but it just might tell you if your abnormal PAP was a result of HPV. Most likely, though, you have been exposed sigh
dayglowpink
Thanks for the reality check, cocl. I am actually a nurse, and I know a bunch of the stuff you mentioned, but I hadn't even considered that and was just in freakout mode. I even wrote a paper on the epidemiology of HPV in grad school! If course it's different when it's actually happening to me. I asked my doctor about getting a HPV DNA test, but he said it wouldn't be recommended before getting a followup in 6 months. He's a family practice doc, and I really like him, but I'm wondering if maybe I should make my next appt with a gynecologist. I guess my doc can always refer me if anything comes up. Hopefully this will just turn out to be nothing.
sassy
Just read on msnbc.com that Gardisil is now saying that it prevents genital warts in men.
stephanie
hey cocl! have you got any references about gardasil being good for women who already have one type of hpv? I caught the genital wart virus when I was 17 (I'm 23 now) - I didn't think it was worth it getting the vaccine now - thought it was too late!

Thanks
Stephanie
crazyoldcatlady
now, i don't know the details of your infection (i.e., proven HPV type; were the "genital warts" actually HPV condylomas, or manifestations of another infection?) or treatment (surveilance vs. colp) so i can't be too specific (i.e. talk to your doctor about the vaccine in the context of your circumstances).

BUT, gardasil covers more than one type of HPV. in theory, if you're affected with one type, the vaccine may confer cross=protection to other subtypes. this is something that's still being investigated, but showing promise. here's a great world health organization break down HERE. it's a bit thick, but mid-way through they sum it up:

"For cross-protection to be clinically
meaningful, it will be necessary to demonstrate
that administration of HPV
vaccines reduces the incidence of persistent
HPV infection and biopsy-proven
CIN caused by HPV types related to
HPV 16 and HPV 18. Studies are continuing
for both vaccines."

another more general article is HERE. emedicine is a great site, fyi. probably better than webMD, imho.
twelve_percent
I have a little story that still gets me surrounding gardasil.

My mom was saying that she needs to remember to get me the vaccine and my brother, out of nowhere, in an almost confrontational voice says "Those are really expensive!"

NOW! Does it really matter how much it costs if it can protect me from cancer??? Which is exactly what I asked him and he said "I'm just saying, it's really expensive." This just goes to show how little my health means to him.

He has also asked me to sign up for selective service as a favor to him because it's "Only fair." But that's a different story.
candycane_girl
Okay, so maybe we're just freaking out but my boyfriend told me something today. I'm on my period and we've had sex twice within the last 24 hours. There were quite a few hours between the first and second times that we had sex. Anyway, he took a shower and then he told me that during the shower the head of his penis felt like it was burning. Do I have something? Does he somehow have something? Gah?! Is it possibly just because we had sex twice and maybe somehow my period blood irritated him? I feel so stupid right now.
edie52
Candycane girl, try not to freak out. My boyfriend has a really sensitive penis (he's uncircumsized) and sometimes he simply gets irritated from too much sex. He also has a history of yeast infections. We use condoms, so I can't comment on the period blood. If the burning was only during the shower I would say the head of his penis may have been a bit raw or chaffed from the sex and the water on it was painful. But, if the burning continued, or if there is any weird discharge or change in appearance, definitely get tested ASAP. Even if not you could both be tested just to ease your minds.

"Burning" is a common symptom of several STDs so getting tested is really the only way to know. Please, don't feel stupid. A lot of us have been there. Just be responsible and take care of yourselves.
candycane_girl
My boyfriend is uncircumcised too. We both agreed that we should get tested but I just feel so freaked out right now. I've had tests before and have never tested positive for anything. I hope that everything is okay. I'm also finding it difficult to locate any place that does testing for couples. There is one clinic that is supposed to be good but the men's and women's tests are at different times.
hellcat
I have just got back on to the single scene and am now faced with the telling new partners my sexual history- whoopee! So, here is my question fair BUSTies - do I have to tell? I had a single genital wart break out starting sept 2006 and they were cleared up by dec 2006. I remember my doc saying something like if after 2 years there was no reoccurance it was highly unlikely it would come back. I'm wondering if I could still be a carrier or something. I know most partners probably won't care much either way but...well you get the point. Right?

Candycane_girl, how is his penis today? Is the burning still there? It might be a good idea to ask what they are testing you for because some tests aren't as complete. In my city we have a sexual health clinic that you can sign up for and they don't do it by gender. Those waiting rooms are always great, no?
candycane_girl
He said that his penis is fine now. We're still going to get tested just in case but I suspect that it's just because of what I originally said, with him being uncut and not showering for so long in between (plus I was on my period and there's always weird shit coming out of there).
_octinoxate
hi hellcat. what about going to your doc before you start having sex again, and see if she (or he) can straight-out test you for that strain of HPV? they should be able to do that, and then you know for sure if there's anything to disclose or not. if going to the doc isn't an option, well, if i were in your next sex partner's shoes, i'd want you to let me know the situation just as you presented it to us. that way, he/she can make an informed decision, and you won't have to feel bad if (on the off chance) something DID happen.

so, i have a question of my own. please let me know if this has already been discussed, or fits better in another thread. Q: what's the best way to have the safe-sex Talk in general? i don't have any stds, so i'm not coming at this question from the angle of how-do-i-disclose. i just find it really awkward to have that talk (about the last time we were both tested, what for, etc etc) and would LOVE some suggestions on how to go about it. when do i approach it? what do i say? etc? and- is it overkill to use condoms/dental dams for oral? thanks a lot for any feedback.
hellcat
thanks _octinoxate! I am planning on going to the sexual health clinic, my doc just moved to the states (wah!). I just reread over my last post and I sounded a lot more crass and uncaring then I was going far. Bad hellcat! I didn't think it was possible to test for HPV unless it is for the types that can lead to cancer. Well, I'll just have to go to the clinic and figure this out. The internet cannot be trusted for such an issue.

I've only had 3 sexual partners so I don't have a lot of seasoned advice for you on bringing up "the talk". With the last two partners I brought it up right before the gettin' it on started gettin' on. I suggest bringing it up earlier because it can either a) ruin the mood cool.gif lead to unclear answers or c) lying. I have always asked about testing and if there was a sex partner b/w testing and I still ended up with genital warts from the guy I was in a serious monogomous relationship with. Tricky situations.

I am on the fence re: oral & condoms/dental dams. I feel like it is a neccessity in this day and age, yet I still find the idea of blowing a condom covered c*ck unappealing. I've never had experience with a dd but I hear if you put some lube b/w your skin and the dd it feels extra nice!
_octinoxate
oh, hellcat, i didn't think it sounded crass/uncaring. just extra matter of fact! and yes, they should be able to test you for at least the 2 main types of hpv that lead to the majority of warts. (i suspect they may NOT be able to test you for so many other strains of hpv but that shouldn't matter too much.)

hmm... yes, your point about bringing safe sex up early (eg, before it's getting supersexxxy) is a good one. as you point out, it's tough to know exactly what to ask- there are all these little loopholes and issues that still put us at risk even when we are careful. i think part of my trouble too is just the wording. i tend to be direct so i lean toward saying something like "hey, so, i really want to have sex with you. could we get a certain conversation out of the way so that we can make that happen soon?" hehe, wonder if there's a smoother way to do that.
stargazer
octi, i don't think having the safe sex talk is ever smooth. bravo to you for being mature to have that conversation with your next partner! most men have usually just whipped out a condom in the beginning. jazzman was the only one who needed more training...like no condom, no sex...and i was lying there naked and i had no problem walking out the door. i have more difficulty in knowing how long in the dating game when to not use condoms. but, i guess that is just the next discussion. i will admit that i'm still slow to the whole using a condom for oral sex. i realized that when i filled out my sexual health history for my annual. i usually average 1-2 partners a year (hey, i'm not that much of a whore wink.gif ) and i get myself tested for HIV yearly. i will still do this even when i get married cause you never know. plus, i just see it as being responsible for my own body.

hellcat, i think octi put it best about meeting with your gyne so you can ease your mind and feel better about being with your next partner.

ETA: there's a funny scene in the movie "jeffrey" about managing to reveal your sexual history with a partner. it's a gay movie, a love story, set in the beginning of the AIDS outbreak in NYC. btw, i also get tested yearly after a good friend passed away from HIV related illness.
zoya
octinoxate - I basically just am like "we have to use a condom" no condom, no penetration. We can mutually masturbate, etc. (which I find to be really sexy) but I'm not letting a guy in me if there isn't a condom....and I fucking hate condoms. But it's just sensible. I have to say I've never used a dental dam or condom for oral sex - I know this is not the best thing, but I just haven't.

a way that I have put it with a guy before is that it's just as much for him as it is for me - how does he know that I don't have an STD? Most of the guys I've been with haven't thought of it that way - they just think of it as us not wanting to use one so as to not catch something or get pregnant.

in terms of the not using condoms thing, in the past when I had a steady partner and we were exclusive, I just got on the pill and we stopped using condoms. No testing, anything. But now if I get to that place with someone, I'm going to say that we'll both need to get tested first. No big deal - it's just being responsible. I think that even if you both know you're clean, it's just a good habit to get into, and it gives you a clean slate with each other in terms of sex. You don't even have to have thoughts about if they have something they don't know about. I actually did say that to someone recently that I'd been seeing for a couple of months and we'd been talking about not using condoms - I said that if we were going to continue, I really wanted to not use condoms (he agreed.) but that we'd both have to go get tested and we'd also have to agree that we weren't sleeping with anyone else. I wasn't trying to pressure him into anything, I just think that it's mature and responsible. I don't think that not using condoms with someone equals a major committed relationship, but I do think that it does necessitate some level of mutual commitment and honesty.

oh, eta - we never ended up doing it, because he broke up with me. that's another story, though.
auralpoison
Huh. I've never had unprotected sex with anybody that wasn't long term committed. And I always insist on testing before we drop the condoms. A dear friend died in '86 to an early round of AIDS & it scared the ever living desire to fuck bareback out of me.

HB & I were six months into dating, four months into exclusivity before we stopped using condoms. We knew we were both clean, but I just kinda think both of us getting tested made it more official. Like, "We got tested, everything is cool, we are not going to be fucking anybody else, so buh-bye raincoat!"

fuego_lento
Hellcat, I'm not sure whether your doctor went over this with you, but there's apparently no test for HPV in men. So even if he went to the doctor and asked to be tested there's no way for anyone to know if he had it. And yes, your doctor can test for the strain(s) you had before. I'm not sure whether they test your Pap smear or check some other way, but it's doable. That's how I found out I am HPV-free, since my girldoc tests all her over-30 patients.

Also, lemme get on my soap box a second. Unless you ask specifically for a doctor to test you for herpes, it's not done. Many of them will look at you funny and break out a bright lamp, which isn't good enough -- you want a blood test, which checks for antibodies. The HerpeSelect is pretty inexpensive even if your insurance doesn't cover it, and will check for antibodies for both HSV1 (usually oral herpes) and HSV2 (which is usually genital herpes).

As a chick with herpes, I rarely have to tell a guy twice that he needs to wear condoms with me. It's one of the upsides of having cooties (the other being that I can quit worrying about whether I'll get it). I can't say it makes the "have you been tested" talk any easier, though. It's been years and I still freak out every time and wonder if I'm bringing it up too soon, being too awkward, etc.
hellcat
Thanks for the advice! I am for sure booking an appointment this week at the clinic and hopefully get this all figured out. Although, now my hopeful sexy time situation is seeming less probable sad.gif . Alas, it will be good to know anyways! I'd really love to find out my HPV status just so I can be clear in my mind. Good to know it's doable so now I can be more assertive in my care.

Sometimes I wonder if it is like "So, I had a wart on my foot two years ago...can we still touch feet? I could wear a sock until we know each other better".

I was "completely" ok with HPV while I was in a relationship but being single has rebrought up the same ol' issues. I'm (trying) to get over it by telling more people that I can trust. I told one of my guy friends and his reaction was pretty minimal, although he was a bit of a weirdo in that he said he'd still have penetrative sex but wouldn't go down on me. Pfft. I also told another friend of mine. So now at least 7 people know plus all of you! It isn't much but it's something!

I think it was one of the nurses at the sexual health clinic that first raised my awareness on people using the word "clean" to describe their sexual health status. I'm not meaning to pick on anyone because I used to use that term all the time. The nurse stopped me mid-sentence and told me that by saying "clean" I am implying that people with STIs are dirty. Which they aren't. So I booted "clean" from my vocabulary. Just a thought.

Also, one more thing _octi, like zoya mention "the talk" is for you too. Could you try introducing the subject by saying when you were last tested because hey you just wanted to let him know and hopefully he'll share with you too, or thik "hey - i should get myself checked out".

There might be more info/opinions in the Going Down thread re: protection and oral sex. Dunno though- I haven't been back all that long so you'd know better than me.

This thread, and Tracy from potpsychology have really helped me through this STI fiasco!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.