Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What bands are you currently listening to? What excites you?
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
stargazer
the pipettes!

*dances away*
mouse
i second the vote of going to go see the decemberists live, mostly because right now they're touring with lavender diamond, who are someday going to be as big as the decemberists, mark my words, and anyway they're amazing and you will be blown away.
wombat
Oh, boy, I was listening to OLD STUFF before I went out Friday.

On the playlist:

Iggy Pop's "The Idiot, " but only Nightclubbing (so appropriate) Funtime and Mass Production.

Aerosmith's "Get Your Wings"

And my new (old) love: DMZ's "Relics" Jeff Connolly in full "Monoman" mode doing originals and Roky Ericson (I know I've misspelled that somehow) covers.

Charmz
The bands that have been on constant rotation for me lately are:

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife (gogosgirl, I'm envious that you've seen them live!)
The Raconteurs - Jack White alone is too blah, Brendan Benson alone is a bit too sugary....mix the two together though...and YUM!
Sunset Rubdown - highly recommended to any Wolf Parade fans.
The Broken Family Band - I quite enjoy this band...they almost have a slight twang to them
Joanna Newsom - Ys - Her second album, it's brand new and I'm still feeling it out...but it's lovely.
mouse
charmz, how are you liking the new joanna newsom? i saw her play a bunch of the songs from it and they were quite different than her previous album--isn't it like, only ten songs but like two hours long? i recall her getting into even more ridiculous wordplay from the show, but i forget exactly what....."hydrocephalitic listlessness"...
Charmz
Hey mouse! I quite like Joanna Newsom's new album, it is a lot different from her first album, it's not as immediately catchy. The shortest song is 7:17 with the longest almost 17 minutes long! In my opinion, it's definitely more of an album that'll grow on you, rather than grabbing you by the balls immediately. It's definitely worth checking out though.
sassygrrl
CrazyCatlady, Lyle Lovett is ever better in concert. Seen him about 5 times!
Puts on one hell of a show.

In rotation in my cd player as of right now, Scissor Sisters new one. Also going to buy Decemberists and Snow Patrol at some point in the next couple of weeks....and Raconteurs as well.

Cat Power played her last week, and I missed it. sad.gif
bunnyb
sassy, when you seeing Scissor Sisters? I'm seeing them Nov. 6th but know that you're beforehand.
sassygrrl
I didn't get to see them, due to all the fricking hospital visits. Damn. sad.gif I hope you have a blast! The cd hasn't left my player in two days! My favorite song is "Kiss You Off."
bunnyb
Oh (((sassy))) that sucks sad.gif. "Kiss you Off" is a fantastic track- the whole album is fab.
sassygrrl
I agree! smile.gif

Yeah, I missed not only them but Pet Shop Boys... boo. sad.gif
kipboom
LILY ALLEN!!!

I love great female voices with fun beats.
Check out
http://www.myspace.com/lilymusic
anna k
My sister got the Marie Antoinette soundtrack, and I made a copy of it. It features a lot of post-punk and New Wave, as well as classical stuff. I didn't realize that I already knew New Order's "Ceremony" from the alternative rock comp Left of the Dial, featuring 80's post-punk bands. I really liked the Bow Wow Wow songs, Radio Dept., and the Strokes song. Haven't heard the rest yet, but it's really great stuff.
go_kayte
New(ish--very ish) albums I'm loving:

-Art Brut - Bang Bang Rock'n'Roll
-MIA - Arular (not really new but I'm still crazy for it)
-Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine (same as with MIA)
-the boxset "One Kiss Can Lead To Another: Girl Group Sounds" (it's so big I still probably haven't heard everything on it closely enough to appreciate)
-the Coup - Pick a Bigger Weapon
-Css - Cansei de ser Sexy
-Erase Errata - Nightlife
-Fred Schneider - Just Fred
-Kid Congo Powers - "Solo Cholo" and "Philosophy and Underwear"
-Kill Me Tomorrow - Garbageman and Prostitute
-Lady Sovereign - Vertically Challenged, Public Warning
-Man Man - Six Demon Bag
-Partyline - Zombie Terrorist
-Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower - Dissertation Honey, If You Cut Us We Bleed
-the Residents - River of Crime, The Big Bubble
nickclick
oooh, i'd like to hear the marie antoinette soundtrack, sounds like a cool compilation.

i almost checked out fiona's extraordinary machine from the library last nite, but chose the arcade fire insead. sorry fiona, next time....
nickclick
btw, i'm loving the arcade fire funeral. why didn't i hear this before?
femmespeak
Erase Errata just had a review in Girlistic Magazine. So did the movie Marie Antoinette. tongue.gif

QUOTE(go_kayte @ Nov 28 2006, 12:58 PM) *

New(ish--very ish) albums I'm loving:

-Art Brut - Bang Bang Rock'n'Roll
-MIA - Arular (not really new but I'm still crazy for it)
-Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine (same as with MIA)
-the boxset "One Kiss Can Lead To Another: Girl Group Sounds" (it's so big I still probably haven't heard everything on it closely enough to appreciate)
-the Coup - Pick a Bigger Weapon
-Css - Cansei de ser Sexy
-Erase Errata - Nightlife
-Fred Schneider - Just Fred
-Kid Congo Powers - "Solo Cholo" and "Philosophy and Underwear"
-Kill Me Tomorrow - Garbageman and Prostitute
-Lady Sovereign - Vertically Challenged, Public Warning
-Man Man - Six Demon Bag
-Partyline - Zombie Terrorist
-Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower - Dissertation Honey, If You Cut Us We Bleed
-the Residents - River of Crime, The Big Bubble
ellenevenstar
I just bought Regina Spektor's Begin to Hope and listened to it twice through in a row. It's good!
girltrouble
i love rip slyme-- japanese hip hop that at times sounds like jurassic five.
gogosgirl
I'm a huge fan of music and check on stereogum.com everyday for new stuff. right now I highly recommend heading over there and downloading all the team9 mashups. my fave of the moment -- wolfmother/gnarls barkley, tho thr thom yorke/beatles is a close second.
ellenevenstar
Those are awesome gogosgirl - thanks!
Desmofemme
wow- huge range of tastes here, very impressive... I am constantly downloading music from limewire, love hear/try new groups, plus the club where I work (read the noob thread) allows us to play our own music instead of the DJ picking it out, so I get my very own, very loud jukebox...

some of my odd tastes include:
Mars Volta
Gogol Bordello (perverted gypsy punk, it rocks!)
Blackalicious, Jurassic 5, Hieroglyphics and Dialated Peoples when I am in the mood for intelligent, not-on-radio lyric-heavy hip hop
Miles Davis. of course.
Bad Religion (never give up my political punk)
Gotan Project (sounds like a techno soundtrack to a Parisian cafe)
Muse continually amazes me with their innovation
System of a Down for raw-ness and talent
I am still loving the remastered version of the nightmare before christmas soundtrack...

track notes (single songs I am adoring... I have found myself into fun covers lately, dunno why)
Rasputina and Marilyn Manson- Transylvanian Concubine (an all-girl cello trio w/ manson... wow!)
Placebo- Pure Morning and Nancy Boy
Social Distortion- cover of Ring of Fire
KMFDM- cover of Nancy Sinatra's Boots (bombs remix)
Manson- cover of Tainted Love
A Perfect Circle- cover of Imagine
and much more, but that's the best for now!
mornington
ooh, team9 does some good mashups. a good blog for mashups and covers is http://puritanb.blogspot.com he seems to do a mixtape every few days.

i'm going through a christmas song phase, i am ashamed to say. Belle & Sebastien doing "o come o come emmanuel" anyone?

vesicapisces
I'm anxiously awaiting release of The Shins' third album in Jan. - "Phantom Limb", the first single, is good - still recognizably Shins, but different. I like. Only wish it was out already so I could ask for it for Xmas. smile.gif
Desmofemme
QUOTE(mornington @ Dec 15 2006, 06:25 AM) *

i'm going through a christmas song phase, i am ashamed to say. Belle & Sebastien doing "o come o come emmanuel" anyone?

haha awesome!! for fun, check out Twisted Sister's O Come All Ye Faithful... very amusing!
girltrouble
hey. i'm starting a LP/record collecting/thrift store record finding thread here:vinyl voyager
if you thrift for records, love old weird music, lounge, jazz, international music etc, check it out. there are some links to a site where you can upload and share your lps converted to mp3s for free, and i can tell you how to do that too for less than $15.

sorry. i'm vinyl obsessed.

thanks for the link, mornington... i am obsessed with cover versions (usually songs written before 1980) but he also has a lot of LCD SOUNDSYSTEM, and i adore them!!! thank you thank you thank you!
hiddenpoet
i'm really excited about Shiina Ringo recording solo music again. when it will be released nobody knows but until then i can always have Miho Hatori's Ecdysis in my player. if i'm super lucky perhaps i can get the cd for x-mas.
divaintraining
Love me some Citizen Cope!
go_kayte
I got the Girlmonster compilation for christmas and I've been listening to it today. I like everything on it at least a little bit, and many things I like a lot. Almost all of it is new to me too so that's cool. It's all females doing things with electronic music, and it's pretty varied in style.

Also I bought my boyfriend the Love box set "Love Story" for christmas and I've been listening to that too. I love Love. smile.gif
punkrockgrrrl
Brand New is a pop punk/Indie rock band out of new york. Their new album "The devil and God are raging inside me" is pretty rad.
stargazer
dr. dog from pennsylvania. remind me of the beatles in some way. check 'em out.
anna k
I've been trolling a lot of used record stores in Brooklyn and the East Village, finding cheap CDs and cassettes this weekend:

Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Gwen Stefani - CD single of Cool
15 Tracks that Inspired Bob Dylan (Mojo CD for $3)
Kelis - Tasty
VH1 I Love the 80's comp
Patti Scialfa - 23rd St Lullaby
punkrockgrrrl
I know that this isn't in any way obscure or unheard of but I am constantly smiling as I listen to Regina Spektor.
LoveMyPugs
Artist: Secret Garden
Album: Dreamcatcher
Genre: New Age
Favorite Song at the Moment: Sona (track seven)
katieface
hi busties!

i'm making a valentine's mix & need some help. i want it to be kind of like an evolution of a relationship...songs that represent: looking for love, being crushed out, sex, falling in love, being in love, troubling times, breaking up, after the breakup, then on the prowl again. anyone have any suggestions for any of those catergories?

PS: there used to be a general music thread, but i couldn't find it. i hope this isn't too off topic! also: i'm currently excited by peter bjorn & john "the chills" and a reggea remix of TI "what you know about that"
LoveMyPugs
I’ve been listening to a lot of New Jack R&B (this is what Barnes & Noble calls it so correct me if I’m wrong). I think this was the one point in time that I really, really enjoyed music. Most of what I’m listening to is 90’s R&B. For example: TLC, Tevin Campbell, Boys 2 Men, Aaron Hall, En Vogue, SWV, Keith Sweat, Xscape etc. I’ve been downloading my favorites from iTunes. There are some good songs from that time that I would personally put on a Valentines mix.
anna k
I like it a lot too, although I was too young to remember the songs (just SWV, En Vogue, TLC, and Keith Sweat). I thought Brownstone would blow up after "If You Love Me," but nothing happened. There's a New Jack Swing concert in Newark next week featuring Guy and SWV, but I don't want to go alone and I was too young to remember the music anyway.
shinymoonrox
Currently, I've been listening to or trying to get my hands on more songs by Corinne Bailey Rae. I've also realized that I've become addicted to Copeland. I've been listening to their old cd, In Motion and I just bought their new cd, Eat, Sleep, Repeat. If you like Jimmy Eat World, then you will probably enjoy them.

Does anyone know the name of the site that lets you listen to music and recommends music that you might like. Is it pandora.com or something?
faerietails
yup, pandora.

i feel like i fell in love with sleater-kinney all over again over winter break, only faster and harder (even though i never stopped loving them). i've also been listening to a lot of scissor sisters lately.
GoGoMassacre
I have THE weirdest taste in music but here's the stuff I've been listening to alot lately:

GWAR!!!
Pink
Justin Timberlake
Slayer
Patsy Cline
The Monkees
Nothingface
David Bowie
mc chris
Iggy Pop
LoveMyPugs
GoGoMassacre –

Wow, that is an interesting list of music.

Right now my playlist in iTunes is:

TLC – Red Light Special & Creep
Keith Sweat – Twisted & Nobody
Tevin Campbell – Can We Talk?
Ciara – Promise, 1 2 Step, Oh
En Vogue – Don’t Let Go (Love)
Brownstone – If You Love Me
Ginuwine – Those Jeans
Will Smith – Summertime
Seether w/ Amy Lee – Broken
Dreamcatcher – Sona

I keep a rather short playlist and then rotate it out when I get tired of it. I think maybe I’m living in the past, listening to so much New Jack, but I have to admit it was when I liked music the most. I have a whole list of 90’s hits that I want to download but I’m short on cash right now. My birthday’s in May so I’m hoping I get a bunch of iTunes gift cards.

I’m afraid to say it but I’ve never heard of Sleater-Kinney. When I get home and can listen to them loud (in school right now) I’ll have to jump on BarnesandNoble.com and see what their all about.
mornington
ooh, Pugs, you must listen to Sleater-Kinney. I keep trying to find thier cds over here but they're always so expensive.

I just got "John Peel - Right Time Wrong Speed", a compilation of things from the seventies and eighties and I love it. Also.. Pony Up! (the unholy union between the pipettes and sleater-kinney), Absentee, and Art Brut. again.

I love that Seether/Amy Lee song, and I've got a couple of really old Seether tracks floating around... before they left south africa and changed thier name (prompt chorus of "sellout!").

GoGo, that's a good list! mm, Bowie...
mouse
--hefner, hefner, all the time hefner always. and anything else darren hayman touches. wish he would touch me.....*sigh*
--recently unearthed my old heavenly albums and am in love, again. marine research (her side project) is also brilliant.
--from bubblegum to sky (i'm so into twee poppy stuff right now)
--NIXON! (ditto)
--voxtrot (ditto)
culturehandy
Oh itunes, I have to say it's very dangerous, I could spend so much time downloading.

Anways.

I've been on a Cafe Del Mar binge lately. And while he's not music, I still love listening to him, Lewis Black.
nickclick
anyone hear the new Shins?
vesicapisces
I've heard a couple of cuts: "Phantom Limb", the first single, is being played pretty heavily on the independent radio station I listen to, and I heard "Red Rabbits" on a Live365 channel the other day. I may even have the CD waiting for me when I get home - I pre-ordered thru Amazon.com and it shipped Mon. Can't wait - I love their music.
nickclick
thanks vesica, be sure to post your review when it arrives! i also heard "phantom limb" a couple of times but wasn't totally impressed. maybe i've too high expectations! i'll buy it when i get around to the record store.
vesicapisces
Yay, Wincing the Night Away was waiting for me last night when I got home from the movies, but I didn't listen to it yet. I'll post sometime this weekend.

Here's my other piece of musical excitement for the day biggrin.gif :

My BFF, the Empress Doctor Kate, sent me unexpected news this morning about an old favorite recording of hers and mine, which has now been issued on CD even tho' the artist is about as obscure as you can get. Her name is Ruthann Friedman, and she only ever put out one album, Constant Companion (1968), which Kate found on vinyl (a dj's one-time promotional copy) at the St. Vincent de Paul thrift store in Wheeling back when we were in college and bought solely for the 1960s cover art. Friedman's music is sort of airy and dreamy and a little jazzy in places, and we loved that record and played it to death. I made a cassette tape so I could have a copy too. (The tape is long since gone.) I even learned to play one of the songs, "Danny", and it's still one of my favorites to sing:

Danny shines
silken sunlit lashes from his eyes
soft grey open windows when he cries
away the afternoon

Danny has
toys to fill each corner and inch of
time means nothing at all to his
small busy hands

Danny born
with a tick-tock song too fast and a bit out of
tune so they fixed him with a lasting
pair of funny shoes

Danny runs
up the hall with his arms spread out or reaching
up for me to spin him around
til he wants some more

Danny shines
silken sunlit laughter from his eyes
soft grey open windows when he cries
away the afternoon

I was so excited I immediately went to Amazon.com and bought it, and also the compilation of rarities/demos/etc. that was put together by the company that re-issued Constant Companion. I can't wait to hear it again. Her voice sounds a lot like Beth Orton - seemingly fragile and slightly cracked.
gogosgirl
try as I might, I can't stop listening to cold war kids, final fantasy, of montreal, and fujiya & miyagi. I blame stereogum and obscuresound. but I thank them, too. rolleyes.gif
mouse
saw winter flowers, the finches, and lavendar diamond last night. winter flowers--man, i love them, but sometimes it's really goddamn hard to watch them without giggling because they are SO earnest and renaissancey and all look like donovan/love children. the finches i hadn't heard before but they were really lovely--she shouldn't let the guy sing, though. she's so much better than he is. lavender diamond i've been in love with forever--matador is putting out their EP next week, and they have a new album coming out in may CANNOT WAIT--and this was one of the funnest shows that i've ever seen them play--up there with when i saw them on halloween and they were dressed up as "the tinfoil man", "the cowardly walrus", "the abominable scarecrow" and "dorothy, the wizard of oz". she told a crazy story about getting caught in a power outage in nordstrom's shoe department. LOVE THEM SO MUCH.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.