Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What bands are you currently listening to? What excites you?
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
thirtiesgirl
I posted this a few days back in the 'what song is in your head' thread, but I thought I'd add it here...

I'm in a dreamy mood and currently grooving out to ethereal folkie Marissa Nadler... Mexican Summer (love love LOVE this video; absolutely gorgeous. I don't think it's an official video, as Marissa's a very independent artist and doesn't have a video director on her payroll, but it should be.) Here's another gorgeous song...Fifty Five Falls, which I usually tend to listen to when the weather starts to change. It hasn't started yet, but I think I'm ready for it to get a little colder.

I'm also grooving out to the new Stereolab album and can't wait to see them live in another few weeks. Yippee!
mouse
anna, sax & violins is my absolute favorite talking heads song of all time! definitely an earworm.

speaking of, i'm going to brag again about how i am going to go see david byrne next month wub.gif
anna k
So cool! This may sound like a brag, but he came into the museum where I work a couple of weeks ago. I recognized him immediately, then when he talked to his friend his voice boomed out, sounding much like his singing voice. I didn't talk to him much, just took admission, but it was a cool surprise.

I heard Sax and Violins on the soundtrack to Until the End of the World, and really dug it. I also like the version of Burning Down the House in Stop Making Sense, it's more funkier and wilder than the album version.

In my dance class, the instructor picked Busta Rhymes' Don't Touch Me Now, and it is such a fantastic, funky, percussion-driven song. The routine we did was hard and rough and made me feel so strong and badass and cool.
thepointybird
Y'all should check out Ponytail, this band from Baltimore - find them on Myspace. Fab!
mouse
OMG ANNA YOU MET DAVID BYRNE IN CIVILIAN LOCALE?????? *jealous*
knorl05
electrocute

and getting into death metal lately..
any busties know of any good metal bands?
je.ne.sais.pas
QUOTE(knorl05 @ Sep 11 2008, 06:18 AM) *
electrocute

and getting into death metal lately..
any busties know of any good metal bands?

ooooh, if you like electrocute you should try ultraviolet sounds or gravy train laugh.gif
knorl05
nice! ty je.ne.sais.pas wink.gif
Jezebel
Still on my Jack's Mannequin kick. Also really liking Kerli right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjXnwas8ytU

http://www.myspace.com/kerlimusic
lestercrawley
My favorite band-of-the-moment during the past year or so is Agent Ribbons, a pair of happenin' gals who hail from my hometown of Sacramento, CA. I've got a fairly sizeable crush on singer Natalie Gordon, and I've always thought of them as BUST-friendly, if there is such a thing. (I know they're not famous, but I'd love to see them on the cover of a future issue someday!) Drummer Lauren Hess tends to vanish onstage cause she's shy and all, but she's pretty darn cute too. Check 'em out here!
anna k
Thanks for that Agent Ribbons, lestercrawley. They're really great.

I like Rachel Sage. She seems influenced by Fiona Apple and Ani DiFranco, and has an interesting voice and style.

This thread is great, I'm looking for new things to hear.
lestercrawley
Glad you like Agent Ribbons, anna k. They recently flew to the U.K. to do a tour there but were refused entry into the country and ended up being banned by immigration officers for the next ten years! I don't know the whole story, but I felt so bad for them knowing how much they were looking forward to it. They certainly deserve to be better known outside of Sacramento.

BTW, I looked up Rachael Sage on Allmusic.com and thought she was quite promising, so I'll keep an eye open the next time I drop into one of our local independent record stores. Any particular CD that you'd like to recommend?
mouse
seconded the agent ribbons rec! they sound great. i'll definitely keep an eye out to see if they come to LA soon....looks like they're just doing a radio show thing. boo.
auralpoison
Besides the music, I like that I can buy Agent Ribbons directly from Agent Ribbons.

FUCK THE RIAA! THEY'RE A BUNCH OF GREEDY DINOSAURS THAT ARE CAUSING THEIR OWN DEMISE BY NOT CREATING A NEW BUSINESS PLAN THAT WORKS WITH NEW TECHNOLOGY!
lestercrawley
Agent Ribbons do get down there once in a while, mouse, so I'm sure you'll get to see 'em eventually. And what's really cool is that not only do they sell their own records, some of the CDs you can get at their shows come with handmade sleeves. Mine's got some fabric glued to paper they stitched together and a cute illustration of a monkey they colored and a button sticking out on one side. Their craftmanship ain't all that great, but it's cool they took the time to offer their fans these one-of-a-kind souvenirs.

Well, this isn't a new band by any stretch of the imagination, but I just saw X tonight and was thrilled to see they hadn't lost their mojo after all these years. I saw 'em in Davis, CA back in '85, literally half my lifetime ago. Only a handful of people showed up at that show and stood perfectly still while I was dancing all by my lonesome. Oh, and I remember one brave soul taking a chance on diving into the lackluster crowd from the stage. This time the club was jam-packed and literally hoppin' (and conveniently located just two blocks from where I live). I was lucky I didn't get thrown off my feet by the big-drunk-and-scary boys who were moshing in the middle of the floor. What a difference 23 years make! And to top it off, I got Billy Zoom to sign my CD when he walked out to kiss the girls after the show. I met John Doe some years ago at a Borders in-store (a story for another time), so I just need Exene and D.J. to make their mark and I'll be all set! Needless to say, I'm excited about X all over again!!
auralpoison
Karen Dalton (folk/bluegrass/country) & the new Tv on the Radio.
stargazer
dood, everyone and their mother is raving about the new Tv on the Radio. i guess i need to get on it and check it out.
auralpoison
I've been a DIE HARD fangirl since the first ep. Let me put it this way: I've never thought to myself, "Hey, I'd like to get gangbanged!" This TVotR album is so GOOD it has me convinced that they should absolutely pull a train on me. GENIUS! But I expected that.

Tunde is in the new Jonathan Demme movie. He's sooooo talented & sooooo HOT!

The video for the first single, "Golden Age". This shit is so tight it squeaks.

Weirdly, "Shout Me Out" is reminiscent of Tom Petty's "Running Down a Dream" before it veers off into total fucking awesomeness.
thirtiesgirl
I have one ep by TV on the Radio which took a little while to grow on me, and I recently bought Cookie Mountain, but haven't listened to it yet. I know I need to catch up with them, but I'm slow on the uptake. Isn't the singer guy in the new indie movie with Anne Hathaway? ...Oh, wait. AP just said that. Duh.
octobersky
I agree TV on the Radio is just fucking amazing. The new album "Dear Science" is soooo good. I would love to go see them but they are playing in Cincinnati and that's just too far to drive. A guy at work actually met them when they played in Columbus last time and said the band was very nice.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check out the movie....
auralpoison
DOODS! If you love the music, call KEXP! 2069035397. I have dropped $350 bones today in the favour of the propagation of good music. MONEY WELL SPENT. I coulda bought shoes, but I gave to my peeps instead. KEXP is pure, they are LOVE. They are people that really appreciate good trax!
crazyoldcatlady
lovin' the RZA alter-ego, Bobby Digital

i jammed this for like a month straight

bunnyb
I can't help but love Kings of Leon "Sex on Fire"; that song really gets me. I haven't really paid attention to them before but I'm going to listen to the new album.
thirtiesgirl
For fans of Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, check out Gallon Drunk. Main Drunkman James Johnston has played guitar with the Bad Seeds (most notably on Murder Ballads). The Drunk have been around since the early '90s, but just released their newest album, Rotten Mile, from which the above video was taken, at the end of last year. It's the best thing they've done since their early days, like a big juicy burger with pickles, ketchup, mustard and a mess of greasy fries. I wish they'd tour the U.S., but after opening briefly for Morrissey in New York around '93 or '94 (Morrissey's audience had no idea what to make of them), they fled back the U.K. and continued doing what they do best. All their albums, You, The Night & the Music, Tonight...the Singles Bar (a singles/EPs collection), From the Heart of Town (their most popular album, the one that got them on tour with Morrissey), In the Long, Still Night, and Fire Music have been reissued with extra tracks, live material and b-sides. I've been in lust with James Johnston for years, but he's happily married to former Stereolab contributor Geraldine Swayne. Ah, well. Just my luck.
anna k
My brother introduced me to Steve Arrington's music, and I really dig it. He was a funk/soul singer from he late 70's and early 80's, and played/sang with a group called Slave. I heard his music in a jazz club a few weeks ago, and my brother told me about him, and his music just had such joy to it that made me happy. He quit music to become a minister, but left behind some classic tracks, like Feel so Real.
auralpoison
I am liking the Cold War Kids & Low vs. Diamond. I used to shag one of the LvsD guys back in the day, so I am biased.
hiddenpoet
i'm stuck on Chemical Chords from Stereolab right now.
crazyoldcatlady
thanks to a feministing heads-up: little dragon
lustandgore
Devil Doll and Carrie Rodriguez
musiclovr89
I like listening to The Killers, Snow Patrol, Oasis, Coldplay, so many to list. I like music with good lyrics and a good beat.
bottleblack
QUOTE(bunnyb @ Oct 21 2008, 05:13 PM) *
I can't help but love Kings of Leon "Sex on Fire"; that song really gets me. I haven't really paid attention to them before but I'm going to listen to the new album.

Kings of Leon's new album is fantastic!! I just want to swim inside their music, I love his voice and their style.
thirtiesgirl
New Neko Case album, Middle Cyclone, out in March '09. This is a preview video of Neko talking about the new album, how and where it was recorded, and some of the songs. She says some great stuff, and the music sounds great. ...Extra frogs...hee hee! I can't wait.
ihateoly
QUOTE(thirtiesgirl @ Dec 16 2008, 09:02 PM) *
New Neko Case album, Middle Cyclone, out in March '09. This is a preview video of Neko talking about the new album, how and where it was recorded, and some of the songs. She says some great stuff, and the music sounds great. ...Extra frogs...hee hee! I can't wait.

I just saw her play in September here in Tucson and she played several of the songs from the new album. It was amazing and I can't wait! biggrin.gif
thirtiesgirl
Currently grooving out in a mellow way to Low. I was listening to their limited edition 1999 xmas album (just called "Christmas") while wrapping presents, and it put me in the mood for more of their stuff.

Dinosaur Act from their fifth album, Things We Lost in the Fire (clips of the band on tour, w/ Alan and Mimi's one year old daughter).

A Little Argument With Myself (acoustic) from their sixth album, Trust.

Murderer (live in Minneapolis) from their most recent album, Drums & Guns.

Torch
Lately I've been listening to Stephanie Mills, Q-Tip, Oddissee, and Stevie Wonder all in the ride as I go to work.
stargazer
vivian girls and women cause i can never get enough of lofi, garage sounding, psychedlic poprock.
auralpoison
I miss oink. There has been a lot of crucial shit that I have on wax that I can no longer find. I hate you RIAA!

I've had a yen for Crime & the City Solution.

Yes, I am old, fuck you.
mouse
vivin girls are great, star! i used to play kickball with them way back when. you should check out cause co-motion too, it's a band full of dudes but they're all friends and share a similar sound.

thirties, that low album is heartbreaking! "long way around the sea" can make me weeeeeep.

my vacation involved a lot of getting stoned and sharing music with my best college girlfriend and her boyfriend, they both have amazing taste. i introduced them to hercules & love affair, david byrne & brian eno's new album, & m83, while they turned me onto krautrock like la dusseldorf and harmonia, and an amazing brazilian new wave band called fellini.

i'm also really into the clientele ep that came out in august. "george says he has lost his way in this world" is my favorite song right now. i love the clientele so much.
LilPinkElectricChair
That new Vivian Girls album is really awesome, it reminds me a lot of a similar groups like the Aislers Set and even further back, Young Marble Giants.
bunnyb
Florence and the Machine excite me. I heard them whilst travelling home for Christmas and immediately wanted to know who they were; their album isn't out until June so I need to keep them in mind.
thepointybird
I'm hearing everyone on the Vivian Girls love! Also, check out this Australian band called Architecture in Helsinki, accidentally overheard them being played in a vintage shop in Belfast when I was home for Xmas and I loved it...

http://www.myspace.com/aihmusic

mouse
aw i love architecture in helsinki, they are so fun.
foryoursplendor
Its an old song, but it excites me and makes me dance:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=0L1hD5OlPtw
auralpoison
Bat For Lashes - What's a Girl to Do?
StarLightBright
I'm really into Paramore right now but their early CD's rather then the new stuff they have come out with, and Lady Gaga, even though she has like one single, im addicted to it.
candycane_girl
I wasn't really sure where else to post this but it has to do with music so it's relevant. Does anyone have any suggestions for classic country artists? At my work, we had this great classic country cd but I never took note of which artists were on it. So far the only artists I have been able to come up with are Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Emmylou Harris and Loretta Lynn. Any suggestions along those lines would be very welcome. I don't like new country but the old stuff is really great.
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Feb 1 2009, 01:01 PM) *
I wasn't really sure where else to post this but it has to do with music so it's relevant. Does anyone have any suggestions for classic country artists? At my work, we had this great classic country cd but I never took note of which artists were on it. So far the only artists I have been able to come up with are Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Emmylou Harris and Loretta Lynn. Any suggestions along those lines would be very welcome. I don't like new country but the old stuff is really great.

Add Patsy Cline, George Jones, and Tammy Wynette to your list. I'm also a fan of some of the newer "alternative country/Americana" artists like Neko Case, Tarnation, 16 Horsepower, Slim Cessna (and any band he plays with), the Handsome Family, Jim & Jenny & the Pinetops, Trailer Bride (whose singer/songwriter Melissa Swingle disbanded the group in 2004 and went on to front The Moaners, with a darker pop sound), and some 'slow-core alt-country' artists like the Cowboy Junkies and Hem (as in, the hem of a skirt). Most of the bands I mentioned mine the classic country and countrypolitan sounds of American musicians from the '40s to the '60s. Neko Case is very much influenced by Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn and their soulful counterpart, Dusty Springfield. Tarnation also has that Patsy Cline feel (particularly in Paula Fraser's sob of a voice), with hints of '60s pop mixed in. L.A. based singer-songwriter Eleni Mandell also recorded a great album of country covers and originals a few years back, Country For True Lovers, with covers of George Jones, Merle Haggard and Hank Cochran. Worth checking out.
auralpoison
What Thirties said.

I'd like to add alt-country's Gillian Welch & one cannot forget the Dolly Parton or Merle Haggard. I like a lot of stuff like Porter Wagoner, Flatt & Scruggs, the Carter Family, Lefty Frizzell, Waylon Jennings, Hank Snow, Connie Smith, Marty Robbins, Buck Owens, Ernest Tubb, Ray Price, etc.
stargazer
Alison Krauss is considered bluegrass, but i would add her to your list. new or newer country isn't so bad. you just have to surf through alot of pop country. trisha yearwood is pretty cool to me. the judds too. dixie chicks. there is more i'm sure i'm missing. i have a mean crush on garth brooks. i was SO excited to see him playing at the inauguration special on HBO.
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Feb 1 2009, 02:03 PM) *
What Thirties said.

I'd like to add alt-country's Gillian Welch & one cannot forget the Dolly Parton or Merle Haggard. I like a lot of stuff like Porter Wagoner, Flatt & Scruggs, the Carter Family, Lefty Frizzell, Waylon Jennings, Hank Snow, Connie Smith, Marty Robbins, Buck Owens, Ernest Tubb, Ray Price, etc.

Porter Wagoner was an interesting figure in the country music scene. In 1967, he hired Dolly Parton to sing on his TV show, just 3 years after she was out of high school. Her early duets with Wagoner and her solo material from that time (late '60s to early/mid-'70s) are worth checking out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.