Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What bands are you currently listening to? What excites you?
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
crinoline
Everyone has good suggestions. For classic country, I would also suggest Roger Miller who did the soundtrack of Disney's Robin Hood . Bobbie Gentry is one of my favorites. I also love the whole "cradle of Rock and Roll" group that Johnny Cash was part of. Jerry Lee Lewis , Roy Orbison , and of course, Elvis Presley .

For contemporary alternative country, I adore Jolie Holland and The Be Good Tanyas . And for Australian country, Kasey Chambers is awesome.
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(crinoline @ Feb 1 2009, 05:29 PM) *
For contemporary alternative country, I adore Jolie Holland and The Be Good Tanyas . And for Australian country, Kasey Chambers is awesome.

Yes! I can't believe I forgot Jolie Holland and the Be Good Tanyas. Love them both. They haven't been on my playlist rotation for quite a while, but you've reminded me to put them back in.
stargazer
i've been in an english beat/general public mood lately.
crazyoldcatlady
a shitfuckton of FREE AMAZON MP3S
acewalker
the hives--veni vidi vicious is currently the walking-around-the-melting-city-in-the-stranger-sun album of choice, with girl talk--feed the animals and eagles of death metal--peace love metal being close runner ups.
knockoutclothing
Today it's Jefferson Airplane, Ladyhawke, and Yelle.
stargazer
i'm not listening to this band. but, i thought some of you might find this new supergroup interesting. blink.gif
acewalker
radiohead, and ben kweller now. due to someone sending me radiohead songs...and being taken to a ben kweller show.

mssglamorous
Artic Monkeys.PJ Harvey.Oh no Oh my.Hot Hot Heat.Beck.Jenny Lewis
MerDeNoms516
I've just recently gotten into the bands Kings Of Leon, Sigur Ros and M.I.A. Haven't stopped listening to these 3 for

the past couple of weeks.
acewalker
mmm. what beck?
auralpoison
The new Beck is a fun listen albeit not his best. Songs like Gamma Ray are happy, poppy little things. Danger Mouse produced it & I think he got a little heavyhanded with the pastiche. I picked up a few tracks from the War Child Heroes Vol 1 & one was Beck's cover of "Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat" that is a delightfully fuzzy stomp.
acewalker
oh man i loved modern guilt, especially volcanoes. very nostalgia-for-summer-08 inducing. i find it more focused and unified than other beck albums--probably danger mouse's influence, although i found the production a little heavy too, especially at first. it really grew on me though.
ladylezbrariannyc
turin brakes
rubberdollz
Genitorturers. Gen has this badass voice for a chic... ugh... I love her.
missladyj
Q- Tip The Renisance is the bomb!
angie_21
I was happy with the groovy-ness of Modern Guilt, after how blah and disappointing The Information was. I will always love Guero though, it has a great theme and feel to it! Even if he is a scientologist.

Right now I am listening to Elvis Costello. His crazy voice always helps me chill out when I need to.
LilPinkElectricChair
Has anyone heard the new Bat For Lashes album Two Suns? She's an amazing artist and the whole album has a very Kate-Bush feel to it. Def the only thing I've listened to for the last two weeks.
Chairman Miaow
I'm currently switching between Pavement, Camera Obscura, and Casiotone for the Painfully Alone. I have a lot of time to listen to new music these days.

My broken headphones can only get me so far though - I'm dying to go to a honest-to-goodness show, mosh pit and all biggrin.gif
Christine Nectarine
Beast
Leonard Cohen Live in London

...awaiting the new Spiral Beach
acewalker
spiral beach are working on something new?
auralpoison
Yknow, I really liked Fur & Gold, but I'm not completely sold on Two Suns yet. I think it might be the Kate Bush-y thing, particularly the drums on Pearl's Dream. And Scott Walker gives me the wiggins, kinda. I really do like Sleep Alone, though & the hints of Siouxsie Sioux keep me coming back to the cd.

And I echo the question, new Spiral Beach?
stargazer
Hhhhmm, glad I checked in here, I've been considering the new Bat for Lashes. I read in the current issue of Bust that a former relationship really inspired her current album.

AP, oh gosh, you had to mention Scott Walker. *shudders* I bought a best of cd after the recommendation of some dude. Some times, hipster icons really go over my head. He's ok and I definitely hear the influence he had on Nick Cave and Jarvis Cocker. But, too much Scott Walker makes me crazy.
Christine Nectarine
Indeed, new Spiral Beach.

there's a new song up on their myspace.
acewalker
huh. well that makes sense. it's been what, a few years since their last album?
Mermeg
I just discovered A Camp, a band consisting of Nina Persson of the Cardigans (looove them) and some other transplants from indie type groups whom I can't remember right now. I got their debut album which I believe came out a few years back and it's really gorgeous wistful americana-ish pop...I guess, I'm not good at describing bands' sounds. They have a new album that's being released in May and they're actually touring the States soon but unfortunately I won't be able to go because it would be 2 hours to either Cambridge or Brooklyn and I have work for both dates. (So jealous of people who actually live in or near major cities! But anyway...) I recommend checking them out if you're into that sort of thing, or if you like the Cardigans later stuff.
thirtiesgirl
School of Seven Bells. Lovely Cocteau Twins-y vocal melodies, with some Lush/Ladytron influences and hints of Miranda Sex Garden/Rasputina-ish goth-isms. Dark, pretty, perfect pop.
auralpoison
100% correct folks. SoSB's Alpinisms' is a great, chill-out record. If you picked it & some Bat For Lashes up, you're good to go.

I think the last Spiral Beaches was, what 2007? I am excited for the new stuff.
acewalker
yup, 2007. they've been playing lots of shows all along so i totally forgot about new material...
Chairman Miaow
I like A Camp Mermeg! I'm astounded at how cheap tickets are in America. $12 to go see them, not that I can make it. But still!

I'm listening to Conor Oberst, because I'm supposed to review the new album, but I'm posting here instead.
adoseofjen
just discovered duchess says.

my god they are so amazing.

and matt and kim.
they are so fun to watch live.
kim is also super rad.
thepointybird
QUOTE(adoseofjen @ Apr 26 2009, 06:38 AM) *
just discovered duchess says.

my god they are so amazing.

Wow, just checked them out on MySpace, loved them! They're playing in a town near me soon too, must check that out. Cheers, Adoseofjen!
adoseofjen
QUOTE(thepointybird @ Apr 28 2009, 09:44 AM) *
Wow, just checked them out on MySpace, loved them! They're playing in a town near me soon too, must check that out. Cheers, Adoseofjen!

youre welcome! and ack! youre so luuckyyy. ohmy.gif
i bet they put on an insane show. i hope they decide to come to los angeles soon. *crosses fingers*
crazyoldcatlady
new peaches!

and indie group pash (like early letters to cleo. god i loved them).

puscifer's got some new hott shit out on their site, no new record yet.
twelve_percent
The Wombats. They're a pretty awesome group of guys. I also am in love with Mika! He's a hot sexy hunk of man who both myself and my gay counterpart can agree on.

Also! I'm loving Marcy Playground. It's a blast from the past yo!
thepointybird
Hey Adoseofjen, saw Duchess Says the other night and they were amazing! Annie-Claude is bonkers and the whole thing was just brilliant!
foryoursplendor
If you're into trip-hop, there is a band called Lovage that I've just discovered. They're wonderful.
auralpoison
Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By. Geez. I can't believe that Lovage record is almost ten years old now.
Texas Chica
I am very picky and weary about bands because I live in Austin and new bands are a dime a dozen here. Seriously if you throw a rock you are likely to hit a guitar player. But... I heard a band recently, well in March, at a Grilled Cheese Festival of all places and I am totally excited about them! I even bought both of their CD's! It is a duo called Before Dawn and they are from Austin. They are pretty different from most stuff out there right now, other than the fact that they are pretty high energy, dancey and have a laptop. I saw a twit recently that said that they are like "Sonny and Cher meets Van Halen" which is pretty accurate but it is more like Sonny and Cher meets Van Halen with Salt n' Peppa crawling in through the window. Anyway, they are really floating my boat these days and they seem like a very sincere form of dance music if that makes sense????
shoveit
I am completely loving the Yeah Yeah Yeah's new album It's Blitz. I was pretty skeptical at first, because it is pretty different from their previous albums, and im a die hard fan. But its grown on me so much, definately worth checking out!
epinephrine
I've just picked up Trompe le Monde, the only Pixies album I didn't already own. I didn't even really realize I was missing it because iTunes, my main musical source, doesn't have it for some reason. Probably that stupid licensing glitch, or whatever it is, that's keeping so much good stuff out of Canada right now. I can't even watch a lot of videos on Youtube anymore. Even Canadian artists, like Kate and Anna McGarricle, can't show their videos in Canada. How fucked is that?

Anyway, SO excited to hear some new Pixies (well, new to me, anyway). They were the first good band I ever got into. I started listening to them when I was 12 or 13, very sheltered and clueless about music, and it was so new and different that it took them a little while to really grow on me. But they're just so fucking special. I feel like I can't possibly get sick of them. It's like their music was written especially for me. I'm convinced that if you could hear the sound of the atoms of my body vibrating and rubbing together, they'd be humming a song by the Pixies. I just feel like it's in my blood or something. I saw Frank Black last year, too, and he was fucking amazing. I was expecting him to play with a band, but he just walked onto the stage alone, sat down and started playing. He had an acoustic for some songs and an electric for others. The first song he played was Caribou, and he played a bunch of other Pixies stuff through the rest of his 2 1/2 hour nonstop performance. I was really disappointed when he didn't play Hey, though. It's one of my favourites, and watching Frank Black play it live and unplugged would have absolutely blown my mind.
MissB
I'm the Queen of Recommendation so... here's my currents...

*On the event of playlist hunting on youtube, I found this great band called The Long Blondes. Great song of theirs that was the first song I got into was "Once and Never Again" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9BQa-p6Pz0&feature=PlayList&p=0EEC66EFA6B5FD04&index=0&playnext=1)

* A great French-Rock Band, the Plasticines, their newest single... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMy7DRLlDaE

Youtube is taking forever for me to listen to some of these bands you're suggesting so I'll be back with my favorites!
MissB
I'm the Queen of Recommendation so... here's my currents...

*On the event of playlist hunting on youtube, I found this great band called The Long Blondes. Great song of theirs that was the first song I got into was "Once and Never Again" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9BQa-p6Pz0&feature=PlayList&p=0EEC66EFA6B5FD04&index=0&playnext=1)

* A great French-Rock Band, the Plasticines, their newest single... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMy7DRLlDaE

I've heard better electronica than Duchess Says no offense anyone, look up Tracy + the Plastics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUKmvF5FesA or if you want to go with just solo artists, Annie, she's my homegirl and she and I have talked on myspace and she's quite possibly one of the best unknown artists on this planet: her newest single here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpv3TBtUcTQ
thirtiesgirl
Talking Heads, Life During Wartime.
auralpoison
Thank you for reminding me about Annie, MissB. Her new single drops later this week & I am quite excited.
MissB
QUOTE(auralpoison @ May 31 2009, 08:50 PM) *
Thank you for reminding me about Annie, MissB. Her new single drops later this week & I am quite excited.

She is fabulous, I absolutely can't wait for her album. If you like Annie then you should take a listen to another sexy Norwegian popstress... (norwegian ladies are so damn hot!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=issxl_LCULs
zoya
I totally have a musical crush on Newton Faulkner. Just saw him do a live, solo concert last week. He's an acoustic guitar virtuoso with this amazing voice that can go from gritty blues to operatic, and it will give you chills to see him do a solo live performance. It was the first time I've seen him, and he absolutely blew me away. If you haven't seen him, don't bother with his albums, I find them a bit too produced to really "get" him right off the bat. Go on Spotify and listen to his acoustic versions of his songs. He does an AMAZING cover of "Teardrops" by Massive Attack. Or go on You Tube and look for decent live clips of him (there are a bunch) He's just so fucking good, once I got over the hippie looking dreadlocks, I got so into him. And this is coming from a girl who likes Slayer.

ps - bunny, if you're reading this, you can stop laughing now, I want EVERYONE to love Newton as much as I do!!! Besides, he's cute. tongue.gif
ululah
Currently listening to April March, circa 1995. Fun summer music! You might recognize one of her songs if you're a Tarantino fan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8NZtrHziZ4...feature=related
culturehandy
I am currently obsessed with Morcheeba! Gosh, Morcheeba gives me panty soup.
crazyoldcatlady
ahhhhh morcheeba!

"la la laaaaaaa... i'm a trigger hippie..."

that whole album is fantastic
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.