Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What bands are you currently listening to? What excites you?
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
culturehandy
I had some on this compilation and went off and downloaded some stuff. Fucking hell, it's so amazing.
doodlebug
Hey all....stargazer sent me here for this:

The band and I have been asked to do a gig for a family reunion, too well-paid to turn down. The catch is, they want "mainly country."

My country awareness being limited to the Dixie Chicks, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and the Judds, I am looking for song suggestions, good songs by women country singers/songwriters/bands/musicians. Please help!

I'm totally willing to take on old school country like Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Patsy Cline, etc., with a feminist caveat: while I'm willing to sing something like "One's on the Way," I will NEVER, EVER sing something like "Stand by Your Man," even in an ironic way b/c many country fans don't "get" irony.

I'm also into taking on new country, or in-between country. This will be a multi-generational event.

Help? Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?????
edie52
Ooh. What about Neko Case, particularily her older stuff- there are a few songs from Furnace Room Lullaby in particular that seem like they would fit the bill- "Guided By Wire" is great, and "Whip the Blankets" is great if you're looking for an upbeat stompin' kind of song.

Oh! And "John Saw that Number."

There's also an amazingly fun song called "Jason Fleming" that Neko covered live with the Sadies for their In Concert album (I believe it's a Roger Miller cover).
crazyoldcatlady
lyle lovett? he ups and downs the twangy based on the songs; i don't consider him pure country ('cos i like him!)
TheBeesKnees
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Jul 9 2009, 06:44 AM) *
I am currently obsessed with Morcheeba! Gosh, Morcheeba gives me panty soup.

AAAHHH! That is the funniest thing I've seen in days..."panty soup"...*clutches sides*
auralpoison
Doodle, Gillian Welch, Allison Krauss, & EmmyLou Harris did a song together on the "O, Brother" soundtrack that's lovely, but they all do great stuff individually.
designermedusa
I definitely agree with Jenny Lewis (mainly her first solo album) and Neko Case (almost all her stuff is very country).

Eleni Mandell also did a country album.

Those Darlins just released a country, honky tonk type album.
doodlebug
Oh thanks for the input, everyone! I'm going to start pulling up some of that stuff tonight.....

The gig is August 1. Last night I managed to learn: Jolene, Rockin' with the Rhythm of the Rain, Love Can Build a Bridge, There's Your Trouble, and One's on the Way.
auralpoison
For some reason the simple tunes of Austin's Harlem have been rocking my shit. They have this really great song called "Beautiful & Very Smart" that will likely wind up in the next hipster-y romcom.
period_monster
Jessi Sykes is great. There's always Lucinda Williams too.
thirteen
Recently I discovered the band Metric-- "Help, I'm Alive" was playing on the radio and I fell in love straightaway! Good stuff!

Gosh, I have been listening to just tons and tons of music-- a great variety. Cat Stevens, Grace Slick, The Beatles, Brandi Carlile, The Kills, Serge Gainsbourg, Deep Forest, Radiohead, The Vaselines, t.A.T.u. (I know they started out as a gimmick but their music is actually rather nice-- and most definitely catchy), Patsy Cline, The Velvet Underground, Nirvana....and of course Beethoven, Mozart, Dvorak, Saint-Saens...

My latest fixation is Michael Nyman's music-- especially the haunting, lovely soundtrack for The Piano. The music and the movie both are excellent.

epinephrine
I just got Siouxsie and the Banshees' Kaleidoscope the other day and I can't listen to anything else. But stupid iTunes fucked up and for some reason I'm missing 4 of the songs. I complained and hope to have it straightened out soon. But my god, is it ever a good album. Like some kind of strange spicy candy for my ears. Liquorice, maybe.
doodlebug
I am IN LOVE with the Duhks. I must have more. Also Trailer Bride. I am not through listening to everything yet, but I'm doing it right now. How could I have forgotten the Be Good Tanyas? *smacks forehead* They did a benefit for us when I was involved in the women's centres coalition! *smacks forehead again*

Seriously. I am BLOWN AWAY by the Duhks. That's where I'm stuck, actually, I've been pulling up a bunch of their stuff and haven't made it past. wink.gif
auralpoison
I so miss Trailer Bride, Melissa is now a part of the Moaners & they are pretty sweet, too.
stargazer
I'm revisiting all of my favorite house music. Plus, 80s & 90s R&B. During a fit on insomnia, I was watching videos of Lisa Lisa, Jody Watley, and Terrence Trent D'arby on youtube. I never did so many neck pops in my life.
stargazer
QUOTE(rudderlesschild @ Jul 23 2009, 10:36 PM) *
I've downloaded a lot of old R&B and freestyle lately, as well, star. Bell Biv DeVoe, they were like the inadvertent soundtrack to my freshman year in highschool. I always really loved Lisa Lisa and some of the other freestyle bands from back then...

OMG. You won my heart, rudder!! You really took me back with Stevie B.! If You Leave Me Now is one of my favorite songs by him. You would've enjoyed all of the videos I was playin' last night. I was about to post Lisa Lisa's I Wonder If I Take You Home. Such the jam! You would've loved the DJ spinnin' last Saturday. Lots of freestyle and R & B songs.

As for BBD, no truer words were spoken as "Never trust a big butt and a smile...that girl is....POISON..." wink.gif
hellotampon
QUOTE(rudderlesschild @ Jul 24 2009, 03:36 AM) *
I've sort of immersed myself in Trailer Bride for the past couple of months. I wish I could have caught them live when they were still together! I do love the Moaners, though.

Now I'm falling all over myself for Kino (Кино), this 80's Russian group I found through my class. They're long gone as well - their lead singer died in 1990. I am always late to the party!

I've downloaded a lot of old R&B and freestyle lately, as well, star. Bell Biv DeVoe, they were like the inadvertent soundtrack to my freshman year in highschool. I always really loved Lisa Lisa and some of the other freestyle bands from back then... like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQmYtUI-RI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDC-CqvNpWs

I used to have some Trailer Bride songs downloaded, and I remembered them a while ago and have been racking my brain trying to remember what their name was. Glad you posted this!
epinephrine
I've been trying to claw my way out of this huge music rut I've been in for ages now, so I started buying an album off iTunes every month and raiding my local library for new things. Today I got The Campfire Headphase by Boards of Canada and Christmass by Frank Black, and they're both awesome.

So, including those two, here are my latest additions:

Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase
Frank Black - Christmass
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Kaleidoscope
Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me
The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
The Pixies - Trompe le Monde
Portishead - Third
The Stooges - Fun House
The Grave Life - apparently untitled album that I bought at their show. Excellent punk band from BC that my bro toured with this summer.
stargazer
I've been listening to Lords of Acid today. I forgot how much I liked 'em.
epinephrine
Holy shit, I remember Lords of Acid! I listened to them tons back in the glory days of Napster, when I was a young 'un just discovering the joys of drugs and alcohol and psychedelic music, and I'd download mass quantities of anything that sounded trippy and listen to it in my friend's basement on his enormous improvised speaker system while we smoked ourselves stupid with our pop bottle bongs. Wow, nostalgia...

So, my new albums this week are:

Sleater Kinney - Kill Rock Stars
David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World
Frank Black - 93-03

I just ordered about 20 albums to be put on hold for me at my local library branch, so I'll be doing a major binge this week. I'm cleaning them out of all their albums by the Smiths, some Smashing Pumpkins, Some older Cat Power, more Siouxsie, and tons of other stuff. So excited!
oxfordassassin
So I know this thread has been dead for a while.. but I need some suggestions for some seriously upbeat music to listen to while I'm at the gym! Something different, upbeat but not top 40. I've been all over Pandora and even Youtube for suggestions but I'm out of ideas.

Someone.. anyone? wink.gif
likeanyother
Have you heard Ladytron's Velocifero? I find it good for pumpin up!
crazzycat
I downloaded new Placeb album and can't stop listen it rolleyes.gif
crazyoldcatlady
crazzycat, i don't know which placebo album is the newest one, but "meds" is hott shitt.

and oxfordassasin, i don't know what you like to work out two, but i have two settings, techno (running) and rap (lifting):

techno:
the swordfish soundtrack
the crystal method, "vegas"

rap:
dre's 2001
wu-tang and off-shoots

i'm back on the early/late 90's, early 2000's trip hop kick again (massive attack, portishead)
MadameHooch
QUOTE(oxfordassassin @ Sep 7 2009, 12:36 AM) *
So I know this thread has been dead for a while.. but I need some suggestions for some seriously upbeat music to listen to while I'm at the gym! Something different, upbeat but not top 40. I've been all over Pandora and even Youtube for suggestions but I'm out of ideas.

Someone.. anyone? wink.gif

the Rapture's House of Jealous Lovers and I Need Your Love always gets me going at the gym. Good jams!
MadameHooch
QUOTE(epinephrine @ Aug 19 2009, 01:33 AM) *
Holy shit, I remember Lords of Acid! I listened to them tons back in the glory days of Napster, when I was a young 'un just discovering the joys of drugs and alcohol and psychedelic music, and I'd download mass quantities of anything that sounded trippy and listen to it in my friend's basement on his enormous improvised speaker system while we smoked ourselves stupid with our pop bottle bongs. Wow, nostalgia...

Thank for just bringing back a flood of happy memories from my young dumb and stupid years. I'd never go back, but man those were fun times. The Napster era!
epinephrine
Yeah! For me it was all about Cypress Hill, Aphex Twin, Sublime, and the Prodigy. To this day, whenever I hear Cypress Hill, I'm temporarily transported back to that basement. I can fucking smell it.

Just got Bjork's Post and can't believe I didn't have it before. I didn't have any Bjork before! In the past week I've acquired four of her albums! But so far Post is my favourite. I'll be listening to it a lot. Also got the only Bauhaus album the library had and was super excited about it, but it's a new one and kind of lame. Here are my latest additions:

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Best of
Cat Power - What Would The Community Think?
The Smashing Pumpkins - Adore, Mellon Collie
The Smiths - The Smiths, Louder Than Bombs
Dinosaur Jr - Beyond
Cocteau Twins - BBC Sessions
Sleater-Kinney - One Beat, The Woods
Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped
Explosions in the Sky - All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone
Cocorosie - The Adventures of Ghosthorse and Stillborn
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
Tegan and Sara - If It Was You, So Jealous, The Con, This Business of Art
Massive Attack - Collected, Protection
Bjork - Medulla, Post, Debut, Homogenic
Bauhaus - Go Away White
The Go-Go's - Beauty and the Beat
The B-52's - The B-52's
The Cure - 4:13 Dream

Wow. That's a lot. No wonder my computer's getting slow. I'm particularly enjoying Explosions in the Sky right now. They're a fucking awesome epic instrumental band. Really beautiful music. I haven't even had a chance to listen to a lot of this stuff at the rate I've been getting it. I'm hoping to get some Tricky, Love & Rockets, and some older stuff by the Cure next. And I should really get some Gogol Bordello, seeing as I'll be going to their concert next month! I've heard and enjoyed some of their music, but I don't have any of it. I'm willing to bet they put on a killer show, though.
lilacwine13
Gogol Bordello does indeed put on a killer show. I saw them a couple years ago and had the time of my life.

Right now, for me, I like Rodrigo y Gabriela, which is pretty guitar music and I finally bought the Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique which has been played practically nonstop for the past couple months.

To round out the trip to the past, I've also been listening to a lot of old riot grrl and music from the 90's, mainly L7, Bikini Kill, 7 Year Bitch and Babes in Toyland. I miss that sort of music.
epinephrine
Gogol Bordello rocked my fucking world. One of the most maniacally energetic shows I've ever seen. Wow.

I'm currently kickin' it oldschool with the Prodigy. I was so, so into these guys when I was in my early teens. It's really sad that I was just a kid in the 90s. I should have been a raver.
mouse
edward sharpe and the magnetic zeroes. like neil young crossed with arcade fire. seriously. amazing.
anna k
I just heard of Christian Scott, a jazz trumpeter, and his music seriously blows me away. It sounds new and inventive, with such a fantastic band, and I love jazz music that has a fusion feel with great musicianship.
nickclick
QUOTE(anna k @ Oct 7 2009, 11:06 PM) *
I just heard of Christian Scott, a jazz trumpeter, and his music seriously blows me away.

good pun!

has anyone heard the new Gossip - Music for Men? gotta get myself to iTunes soon.
girltrouble
hi nickclick!!!!! long time no see!!! welcome back. wub.gif
nickclick
aw shucks, thanks!
epinephrine
I'm really into Marissa Nadler right now. It's gothic folk, really sad and lonely, but in this uniquely organic and pretty way. Imagine Edith Piaf's ghost singing American folk. Or something like that. I don't even know. It's like strolling through an overgrown graveyard in a white dress on a beautiful, sunny, sultry summer day.
anna k
Her voice is gorgeous.
olla86
Beyonce! She is realy talented!
LuLu*Gazoo
pussy galore - dial m for motherfucker
chicaloca
I'm loving The Gossip now...

Beth Ditto has such an awesome voice... too bad to see so many people seem to hate her, for no apparent reason other than not giving shit about what other people think about her. She's just awesome!
nickclick
who hates Beth Ditto? i'll crack heads.......
chicaloca
Crap like this...
http://www.rantrave.com/Rant/I-hate-Beth-Ditto.aspx

And in many comments in forums, Youtube, etc., you'll find a lot of posts of how she's fat, ugly, annoying... and a lot of clueless teens supporting Katy Perry (who is quite more annoying, I'd say...)

I think it has to with her being brutally honest, a lesbian, and overweight. I guess it makes certain people uncomfortable... to hell with them, but it's so sad how people can be that judgemental. I bet if Beth Ditto was a size 2, straight girl, then everyone would praise her for being who she is and The Gossip would be really mainstream.
crazyoldcatlady
i know i'm late to the game on the yeah yeah yeahs, but i'm diggin' show your bones, in particular phenomenon... i love bumpin the base in my car.... makes me wish i had a manual so i could shift on cue.

also loving ghostface killah's new album ghostdini... so freakin' dirty and catchy.
chicaloca
It's never too late to start listening to the Yeah yeah yeahs, lol.
nickclick
agreed, and you should get your hands on Fever To Tell and the new It's a Blitz - mucho bass bumpin'.
rogue
I just discovered Owl City this morning and I really like them. They really remind me of The Postal Service and I loooove The Postal Service. I like the music - sweet and uplifting, which sometimes I need. =)
zoya
I am sooooo into Ancestors right now. "Of Sound Mind" is a fucking epic album.
rogue
I just discovered Barcelona. They are amazing. Such a good balance of quiet and a little more of a busy sound. I do believe it's love. =)
auralpoison
Visqueen, the XX, Odetta, Them Crooked Vultures, Fever Ray, Alice Russell, & Parliament.

Oh, & Mike Patton's soundtrack for "A Perfect Place".

And Dead Man's Bones. I remember seeing Ryan Gosling on Breaker High back in my weed saturated art school days & thinking to myself that the guy had the "it". Who knew? I'm enjoying their record a great deal.
pants
right now i am all about the Mountain Goats (moody americana type stuff) and Tilly Against the Wall (they have a tap dancer!)
auralpoison
I'm not trying to be an asshole (I rarely have to try!) but it's Tilly & the Wall. I just wanted to clarify in case anybody wanted to check them out. I once wasted I dunno how much time trying to find a band because somebody on here screwed up the name & I was madder than a wet hen about it.

Oh, & I have been checking out your blog, Pants.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.