Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: why can't I just stay unemployed? the job hunting hell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Working Grrls
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Muffy
QUOTE(silverhalide @ May 18 2007, 09:42 PM) *
I recieved my BFA in Photography from Columbia College in Chicago. My mother passed away last April, so after I graduated I moved back to Michigan to be with my family and I have been looking for a full-time job for a year. I got a part-time job at a stationary/invitations store but they only are able to give me one day a week. I get interviews but no offers. It sucks. Job hunting is one of the hardest things in the world. It's not great for your self-esteem either. I get really encouraging responses from interviews, but then they just don't call. Maybe it all boils down to chemistry. Also Michigan isn't exactly hopping with photography jobs. I hope something pops up soon because I have student loan bills. I am going to a temp agency on Tuesday.

I agree it isn't good for you self-esteem. I'm in the same boat. I have two art/design degrees and work part-time in retail because they won't give me more than 8-10 hours a week. I'm not sure there is really a good place to be looking for a job.
good luck with the temp agency.
Tan Princess
The jobs market in the states sounds really rough from your posts you guys. I read bait & switch by barbara ehrenreich recently and it was really interesting. I guess what she said is true about how hard it is to find white collar jobs. I live in europe and the jobs market is pretty good and fairly secure too.
Tan Princess
The jobs market in the states sounds really rough from your posts you guys. I read bait & switch by barbara ehrenreich recently and it was really interesting. I guess what she said is true about how hard it is to find white collar jobs. I live in europe and the jobs market is pretty good and fairly secure too.

I dunno how you survive on 2 weeks holidays a year either. We get 20 days legal minimum and i think its mean!
hazystargazer
That's it...I'm moving to Europe!

TanP, I've been at my job for six years, I get 18 days of vacation, and that's the maximum (for my company, at least)... dry.gif
silverhalide
hermit--I have thought about the housekeeping idea too, don't you have to be bonded or something? Gotta love money under the table.
Muffy
QUOTE(Tan Princess @ May 22 2007, 09:39 AM) *

I dunno how you survive on 2 weeks holidays a year either. We get 20 days legal minimum and i think its mean!

Its hard to find A job in general in the US. I know I've tried temp jobs, office jobs, and nothing so far...
I'm jealous - you get vacation time???!!! I would love vacation time, I once had a job with vacation time - it was an awful job working for a boss who was disgrace to humanity but I did get vacation time, that was my only "benefit" of working there.
hazystargazer
Hmmm, I think I'll check out "Bait and Switch"...I read "Nickel and Dimed" by her awhile back and that was an extremely interesting book.
DaisyJane
I need some advice. I currently work as a secretary at a school. I get (after taxes) 11$ an hour and no benefits or vacation or anything. I am technically a substitute so I can kind of work when I want to by not answering my phone. but I get marked down for that and get less work and calls next time. I fucking HATE being in an office. I am sitting on my ass all day, typing, answering phones and wearing skirts.
I get up at 6am and get home around 4pm. Mr.Daisy gets home around 8 so we have from around 8pm-11pm together (I get tired around then) I have weekends off, since i work in a school.

SO my question is. Should I change to being a waitress?

I would work only about 5-6 hours a day, 4 days a week. Approx. 4pm-10 or 11pm. Where i want to work Id make an average of $130 a night in just tips plus the min. wage. In turn for this awesome money and hours, i would NOT have any days off guaranteed like I have weekends now. If I got home around 11, Mr.D and I would spend a few hours together before bed but he would have his 'man' time in the house alone so he could play guitar and whatever.

Should I change jobs? Is waitressing hard? How do you deal with the weekends having to work? Do you have more or less time with loved ones or yourself?

I cant decide if I should switch or not! Id be working with my best friend, so thats not too bad.

Oh yea, and the place is a Southern cookin, Ribs kinda place and Im vegetarian. hehehe.
Muffy
QUOTE(DaisyJane @ May 23 2007, 11:30 AM) *
SO my question is. Should I change to being a waitress?

I would work only about 5-6 hours a day, 4 days a week. Approx. 4pm-10 or 11pm. Where i want to work Id make an average of $130 a night in just tips plus the min. wage. In turn for this awesome money and hours, i would NOT have any days off guaranteed like I have weekends now. If I got home around 11, Mr.D and I would spend a few hours together before bed but he would have his 'man' time in the house alone so he could play guitar and whatever.

Should I change jobs? Is waitressing hard? How do you deal with the weekends having to work? Do you have more or less time with loved ones or yourself?

I cant decide if I should switch or not! Id be working with my best friend, so thats not too bad.

Oh yea, and the place is a Southern cookin, Ribs kinda place and Im vegetarian. hehehe.

well waitressing has its good points and bad. You most likely will be required to work some weekends - at least the two resturaunts I worked for did. When I was in college I waitressed and it was fast money and I didn't have many bills. However, I worked part time and went to school full time & didn't have a single day off... I would usually go out after work if my friends wanted to get together, I didn't date much in college either.

And you are going to work your ass off to get those tips don't be fooled by the shorter hours and more money. I think its age that makes you tired after working all day.. that and stress and not being satisfied with what your doing. If you hate your job I say give it a whirl, your clearly not happy with what your currently doing.
Tan Princess
QUOTE(hazystargazer @ May 23 2007, 01:02 AM) *
Hmmm, I think I'll check out "Bait and Switch"...I read "Nickel and Dimed" by her awhile back and that was an extremely interesting book.

Bait & switch is very interesting if a little depressing about the job search. I can't believe you guys have jobs with no hols at all??? Thats crazy. But your wages are probably higher than ours though when you get work.
kiss_the_fiddler
Ugh.

I hate job hunting. Ugh. I finished a master's degree over a year ago and have yet to find work I want to do in my field of study. In Feb, I began working for a friend who works in the oil and gas industry. It was really great pay but required that I travel for weeks at a time halfway across the country. The pay was good enough that I was willing to do that. The work itself was so-so. All is well, right? Nope. The guy I was working for walked away from his job. There goes my job. There goes my income. Grrr. . . Now I'm back job hunting again. Back at square one. This totally sucks.

faerietails2
Oh no, don't say that, fiddler! I just got my master's a couple of weeks ago and I've been sending out hordes of resumes. Not one bite. This is depressing. I just need a "real" job. I can't deal with retail anymore because people are rude and I'm generally a little anti-social by nature. lol

Plus, I hate when people ask me if I'm in school, then I have to tell them I graduated already. The topic eventually leads to me having to talk about grad school, and the people just give me that Look (or outright say), "You have a master's from THAT school and you're working HERE?..." Yeah. Sucks.
Muffy
don't feel so bad faerietails2, I have two degrees (fine arts & graphic design) and work retail too, good jobs are hard to come by unfortunately. I'm planning on applying to grad school for '08.

People do what they have to do to pay the bills, sometimes its not glorious. Those people that give you that 'look' obviously don't realize how hard it is to graduate and not get a job in their field.
sassygrrl
I'm also applying to grad schools for 08. I'm reading "Bait and Switch" right now as well. The job market right now just really really sucks right now. I even got that at my last job "You have a degree from that school, and you're working at this shit job??" It really made me consider grad school even more...

But the more I send out resumes, the more depressed I get.

kiss_the_fiddler
faerietails2, what's your degree in? I'm just curious. Mine is in social work and while there are a few masters level sw positions available, there is huge competition for them and they don't pay much at all. I'm so frustrated. Grrr. . . I hope you don't have to look as long as I have.
candycane_girl
This is my first time ever venturing into this thread. Technically I have a job right now but it's only been a few days and already I hate it. So I'm still handing out resumes. I just graduated from college but I've decided to go to university in the fall, so I kind of lied to my interviewer about how long I was willing to work at the place. I just find it ridiculous that in my city you have to know someone just to get the simplest job. I've only had one job that I got entirely on my own, for every other place I knew someone that already worked there. I handed out a bunch of resumes today just for retail and food service jobs, hopefully I'll get a call back.
silverhalide
I know people who have had to take their degree off their resumes because they couldn't get a job, because of overqualification. Kind of sad.
kiss_the_fiddler
silverhalide, i've been tempted to do that, but at this point, i'm still too proud of having earned it to take it off. Plus, i'm one of the most stubborn people i know of. Grrrrr. . . .
Muffy
QUOTE(sassygrrl @ Jun 6 2007, 02:42 PM) *
But the more I send out resumes, the more depressed I get.

true that...
lately even the interviews that I do get are depressing. At first I'm excited, then I get there. They tell me that like a zillion other people applied, they are doing priliminary interviews and narrowing it down from there for the almighty second interview... and the job sounds about as exciting as watching paint dry, somehow the ad for the job always sounds better than when you get there for the interview...
c'est la vie!
hazystargazer
QUOTE(Tan Princess @ Jun 3 2007, 06:19 AM) *
Bait & switch is very interesting if a little depressing about the job search. I can't believe you guys have jobs with no hols at all??? Thats crazy. But your wages are probably higher than ours though when you get work.

I'm sure it is pretty depressing...Nickel and Dimed definitely was. Yeah, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...there are PLENTY of jobs here that offer NO benefits whatsoever. And I make $13 an hour...I started out a $9 an hour six years ago. Though again, plenty of jobs start out much lower than that. Obviously it depends on the type of job, but many jobs aren't even at a livable wage.
gogosgirl
I moved to Oahu almost a year ago, having quit my job with benefits, a title, biz card, authority, etc. I found work pretty quickly, but now it's occurred to me that I don't *want* to work in an office, so I've been craigslisting all kinds of interesting job posts. But here's the thing -- no one has gotten back to me, save one job at a hotel (my other obligations, like my paddling team, made that job untenable). What's going on? Is it just the weather, that makes people slow to respond in the tropics? Or am I not nearly as employable as I thought? Or am I (gasp) over-qualified and therefore none of the businesses I've sent my resume to are going to take the time to email me back? This is frustrating...I just want a reliable paycheck and a job where I get the chance to be with the public. Hire me!

Thanks for letting me vent...you may now return to your previously-scheduled program.
faerietails2
*sigh* i got called in for an interview, but if i get the job the pay is 30k, which is really not that much considering rent, commuting costs, and the bills i'm going to have when my student loan repayment kicks into gear in september. it's definitely better than what i have now (20 hrs/wk working retail!), but still. i think i would take it, because i've sent out hordes of resumes and have only gotten this interview offer. ugh, i hate job searching. i would make more as a teacher. dry.gif i would go for teacher certification, but that's another few thousand dollars i don't have. plus, i don't think i could deal with k-12 aged kids!

meanwhile, my lease is up at the end of this month and i have no place to live come july! i was holding out to see if i could move according to where i found my job, but it's not gonna happen. *gulp*

fiddler, my degree is in women's history, which is completely useless to me right now! my original plan was to go into academia, and i probably will eventually, but i'm so burned out from school at this point that i just want to take a few years off.
Muffy
faerietails2, while 30k may not seem like a lot where you live right now I'd settle for it. I was just told by unemployment that I made too much money this week to recieve part-time unemployment benefits. How much did I make this week before taxes you ask? $218!!!! I wonder if the folks at unemployment who make these f'n rules know how much money it costs to put gas in ones vehicle and the cost of living. I'm so upset I could throw up. I've had one day off, I work part-time, 2 jobs at that and still need unemployment benefits to at least squeak by. this sucks.
silverhalide
Just finished up another round of resume sending from the ads in the Sunday paper..it's like I am willing to take any full-time job..i don't care! I just want a stable income. I have wondered a lot about the overqualification thing too..I have made two different versions of my resume, so hopefully that helps..I really would like to get into non-profit/social work/human services if I can't find anything art related.
silverhalide
sassy&muffy--where are you applying to grad school and what are you thinking of going into? I graduated last yr w/my BFA and I have had a couple of "fuck it I'll be a nurse" moments..I am thinking of grad school too..I would love to get my mfa, but I have also been thinking about counseling psychology--I am interested in art therapy, so that way I can combine both. Then again--all of this requires money smile.gif
toastybean
i just had a "fuck it I'll be a nurse" moment. I have one last year of college to finish up and i would like to go to grad school but my university only accepts 6 fucking people into the program i want...and lets face it i really dont stand a chance. so now im trying to look into a job that is more related to my major (psych) than my current job (tierd/poor ass photographer). but any job that pays decent needs a fucking masters!!!! im screwed
Muffy
silverhalide, I was thinking of applying to a couple of schools RI School of Design and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts (Boston) both have good MFA programs... Columbia University also looks like it'd be a good school, but they are a bit pricey, though it is Columbia.
I'm a painter so I was thinking of going for fine arts, I figure the economy sucks I may as well follow my bliss. I suppose with my MFA I could always teach too.
silverhalide
muffy--cool! you will have to let us all know. Going back to school in this economy is not a bad idea. All this job hunting trouble gives me a complex..aahh..
faerietails2
I swear...if I send one more resume, I'm going to explode.
Muffy
I'm sure job hunting has given me a complex as well.

Someone just really pissed me off though, I love how people who are NOT on unemployment can sit back and make judgements about those of us who are, as if we enjoy pounding the pavement and getting a pathetic excuse for a check from unemployment! yeah I love staring at my checkbook wondering how I'm going to pay bills or crying poverty to bill collectors because my health insurance is crappy and doesn't cover everything.
sassygrrl
My best friend who is basically a waiter and has been for almost a decade (nothing wrong with it and it and I stand by it wholeheartly), but he completly chewed me the other day. Maybe it was tough love, but it really fucking hurt.

It's the exact same thing muffy said. Although he did say that I may be able to live off unemployment for a while...I just feel really weird that I went to college, and I'm stuck feeling overqualifed...

I think that after taxes unemployment will give me not even $200 a week.. which is fucking horrible...Mcgeek is already helping me out with with food.

Muffy, thinking of MLS in library science. Just gotta study GRE, and gotta get into a program. May as well as follow my bliss as well, and already have an english degree.
phobia
I'm currently employed but will be looking soon -- we're looking to get out of this area -- and I was hoping for some resume help...

This is my first "real" job, and I'm not quite yet "up the ladder," so any job I get will be pretty similar to what I'm doing now. I'm not really looking to jump ahead. Just wanna keep doing my thing, but in a new city. Anyway, since the people hiring me know I know what the job is about, and know I can do it, how do I set myself apart? I have an award for health and safety (lame!), and I co-wrote a white paper (which turned into a poster presented at a conference). How can I play this stuff up to set me apart? I'm really really bad at writing resumes sad.gif
Muffy
'phobia', you want to highlight you skills relevant to the job your applying to in a section called "skills", your education, and even though you've only had one 'real' job you defintely want to put that on there too, maybe right at the top... that award and/or the paper you co-wrote wouldn't sound so bad on a resumé either. Maybe in a section entitled "acheivements?"

hope this helps.
sassygrrl
FUCK

I got denied for unemployment. I'm not even sure how it happened, but it did. Now, I feel like one big piece of shit. I was hoping to at least pay my bills for a while as I continue to job search...

FUCK!!!!!!!!

faerietails2
(((sassy))) That fucking sucks.

I know what you mean about paying the bills. Right now I make about $110 a week, which isn't even enough to pay my rent. If it weren't for my parents' financial help I'd be really really screwed.
phobia
Ooh, Muffy -- I like the idea of an "achievements" section. Thanks for the input!

Hugs to all the unemployed... been there, done that, washed those dishes sad.gif

My only advice is to try to have ~some~ fun sometimes ... when I was out of work, it was really hard to feel motivated to keep up the job search, let alone do anything enjoyable. I mean, most fun costs money, and whatever didn't cost money required effort and motivation that I just didn't have. It's sooo easy to slide into depression... Of course, working then presents its own set of problems. Can't win, right?

Anyway, hang in there smile.gif
Muffy
sassygrrl, is it possible your last employer said you quit when you didn't? I had an employer that said I quit when I was layed off... you should try to find out why they won't accept you, if its something your last employer said you might be able to talk to an agent from unemployment. Its worth a try.
sassygrrl
My last employer was an evil bitch, so who the hell knows. But, it wouldn't suprise me that they're probably trying to block my unemployment. Anyway, I'm going to appeal. I know it's only like $200 a week, but in this economy I really need it.
hellotampon
I was telling my boyfriend's uncle (who lives in Cape cod) about how I work at a gas station and I can't afford to move out of my mom's house even on 45 hours a week, and I'm still in community college because I have no idea what I want to do with my life (although at this point I might just pick something, ANYTHING, just to be able to get a job that pays a living wage and health insurance), and he suggested that I call up a catering company because it's decent cash when you do it, and it's really flexible- they call you and you just tell them if you can do it on that day or not. But I just looked up catering places in my area and there are NONE in my county or the next. I live in the middle of nowhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something similar I could look into? I'm not hot enough to be a stripper and I don't want to sell drugs! I can't think of any other way to make money and I've been really frustrated for a while.
Muffy
hellotampon,
well there's always waitressing, unfortunately you don't have the luxery of telling them whether or not you can (or feel like) working that day. Depending on the resturant you might be able to make some decent money.
phobia
(((Hellotampon))) -- here's a couple of quirky ideas from people I know:

TTY relay operator (have to type real fast and there's not a relay center everywhere, but it's good work and pays well)

Courier (if you have your own car and have a good driving record, places like laboratories need drivers a lot)

If there's a college or university nearby, check out their webpages -- I've got several friends who put themselves thru school working at the campus bookstore, as an admin assistant in an office, and in the cafeterias. Usually universities will give tuition breaks to employees, as well as paying health care.

Bank teller -- easy hours and decent pay, plus you get fewer spooky customers! One of my punk friends got a job as a teller -- it was hysterical, he grew his hair out, and had to wear button down shirts!! He didn't have a whole lot of, um, "skills," you know, so that could be an option (ETA: you said you're still in school so I don't know what your skill level is! no offense meant!).

This is really off-the-wall, but if there's a location of the state utility locate service in your town, they may need operators. Try googling "dig safe" plus your state.

Good luck, and I hope my suggestions help you out. You did mention you're in school at the community college. Are there any professors you have a good relationship with? Maybe one of your profs could help you out! It never, ever hurts to ask.
hellotampon
Those are good ideas! Thanks. The relay operator job sounds pretty cool.
sassygrrl
Okay, I was so stoked. A recruiter emailed me on Friday, so I sent back my resume. My boyfriend and I went out to celebrate this weekend, b/c I thought it might be a decent lead. No fucking response. Why do they have to lead you on like that? She emailed me!!

It's with a temp agency, but hey even if it gets me a week of work I'll be happy. But, right now I'd just like her to respond.
silverhalide
I had a great interview yesterday with a digital imaging/printing company. It would be a great position, full time. The woman told me that things look really good. Cross fingers smile.gif

faerietails2
I just got back from an interview. I really really really hope I get it. It's perfect for me, it's half a block away from Central Park, it would make me stop sulking over having to get rid of my blue hair in preparation for the interview, and it would put me out of my job-hunting-hell misery. It was kind of a weird interview, though. She only asked me like 4 questions about myself and my goals, and she spent most of the time (almost half an hour) talking about the position. So I don't know how to take that. It wasn't the traditional "what are your strengths? what is your biggest weakness?" type stuff. Really, it was just like, "Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work here? Tell me about this experience. What are your long-term goals? Any questions?" That's it. *shrugs*

A mutual friend of ours (the interviewer and me) told me about the job, so I'm hoping that little inside track got me bonus points.

(((fellow job hunters)))
Muffy
faerietails2, some interviews are like that. I once went to one that lasted 15 minutes -I think - the woman talked so fast and asked like maybe 4 questions, they were trying to discern who they wanted back for a 2nd interview, it was a little impersonal... at least yours lasted longer. Good luck!

Sometimes if they do nothing but talk and don't ask too many questions, I ask them questions at the end... hotjobs.com has some interesting interview tips on their site including questions to ask on an interview.
.em.
I'm not really looking for a job at the moment...just advice.
I really, really want to work for a magazine some day (or make my own ^^) as a writer--I want to be a journalist! (i'm 18, just in case you need to know)
I think it would be fun to work with a magazine such as Bust, or a Japanese-y magazine like Shojo Beat.

I'm kinda lost on what to do...I'll eventually be taking some journalist type classes at my Community College, and I know interning helps.

So any advice would be good: different magazines, websites, schools, interning, etc, etc.

Thanks!
silverhalide
Well, Good news! I got the job at the digital imaging place that I applied. Full time. Only thing is they only pay $8.50/hr, which is what I make now at my retail job, and it looks like I will be doing twice as much work. I can't afford to not accept it and I am afraid not to due to how long it has taken me to find a full time job, but come on $8.50?? The job asked for a college degree. I was hoping for atleast $10/hr Maybe that will change after the probation period. I didn't have the guts to ask.
hellotampon
A customer at work wanted someone to work 2 nights a week cooking and cleaning for some old lady (I don't know who the old lady is), so I gave her my name and number... I really really really hope she calls me! I've been wanting to do something like that for a long time. I love old people. If I could do this then I could drop a day or 2 from my gas station job, where I despise most of the customers. Luckily the customer that I gave my number to likes me but unfortunately she doesn't shop there constantly (one of the reasons I hate most of them) so I have to wait around and hope she calls me.
faerietails2
i just got totally shot down for a really great publishing job right now, and it was during a phone screening. not even a real interview.

if this keeps up my self-esteem will be shot forever. i hate job searching. and i had an awful interview experience on tuesday that i'm not quite over, so i'm extra pessimistic right now.

i feel like i'm going to be working in retail forever and ever and ever...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.