Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: why can't I just stay unemployed? the job hunting hell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Working Grrls
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Muffy
potbunny, is there any way you could put your child in some sort of daycare even for one day a week so you could go out and be an adult? Or even join a community YMCA or something? I know when I'm low on cash and have cabin fever, taking walks is a nice way to leave the house without spending money.

Sassy, there could be a slight chance they just haven't gotten around to 2nd interviews. Its happened to me, my first job out of college waited like a month. I had given up hope.

faerietails2, I hear the government doesn't hand out much financial aid for graduate students, usually the school awards the money, if your lucky. I know I can't do a loan, I have at least $2000 in medical bills. If it weren't for the medical bills I would've applied already and I probably wouldn't be so broke either, I make bare minimum payments which just means I'm going to be paying them until I either win the lottery or turn 80, lol...

I've thought about those teaching fellowship things. I'm not so sure how I feel about them, they sound good in theory. But it also sounds like a LOT of work, I think you really have to want it because your going to eat, sleep and teach and nothing more. I looked at a sample schedule for one in Boston and basically you get to your fellowship school at 7am, work all day teaching with a mentor, then you go to school at night and all day friday... and most likely go home an pass out after it all is said and done. I have a lot of energy, but it sounds insane! you have NO life outside your job.

I want a job I love but I also don't want it to consume me so much that I have no time for anything else. I dated someone who was married to their job. I never want to be like that person. I felt sorry for her.

anna k
I have another job interview, this one at an arts organization as an administrative assistant. We'll see how that goes.
swedishchick
*delurking*

I have an interview next week! Go me!
I love hydro power more than ever!

*relurking*
octobersky
Yay for the Busties finally getting job interviews!!!! smile.gif

Still searching just nothing. I really don't know what the hell to do. I'm on career builder daily and applying, it's just that I'm not getting any nibbles. Working for giant coffee conglomerate is completely soul sucking. Plus I found out that the previous manager lied to me about how much my health insurance cost, he told me 30 per week, so 60 per paycheck is high when you only get 25 -30 hours per week. So I declined, come to find out it would only actually cost me 30 per paycheck, now I don't have any health insurance and I have (i think) carpal tunnel in my left hand and have no insurance to see a doctor. Gaaaa!!!!!!!
Moonpieluv
Good luck to all... and damn do I know how everyone feels...

I've been a away from the threads awhile cause my last job banned me from coming to this wonderful site...didn't have a home computer at the time... and was in the moving process...

With that said, I have moved and am looking for employment. I f-ing hate this crapazola! I've been in my dang jammies all day... forced myself to brush my teeth for cripes sake as having banged away on the computer ALLLL day to scrape up something that would actually PAY me... (but on the upside, I can actually masturbate without roommates about...lol)...

It's the not having a routine and having to comprise one to suffice for now. ugh. The only people who have responded to me have been either scams or dickheads offering "informational interviews". WTF is that?!!
See, I got an interview the day before thanksgiving... got all gussied up in my new pro-pro clothes that I struggled to find with a very limited budget... and got there.. ONLY to find out that they weren't actually hiring, that they just wanted to "get a look at me cause I seemed the part". Then went on to suggest that I start at the VERY BOTTOM to like "prove" I really wanted to work there. What a self-righteous prick! I was all.. you're such a dick that I might as well suck you cause that MAY actually get me a job. I think that because I didn't mention I like Jam bands (no offense to those that do) may have like got his abercrombie undies in a wad.
I've applied to non-profits (I have a history) but most are in the medical/mental health/etc field in which I don't have experience, nor a huge interest in anyway. But I NEED $$.
Now I'm on to temp agencies.
If Urban Youth Empowerment Program thru the Urban League doesn't respond, I'll be really disappointed as I FIT every requirement! ahhh...

oh...the frustration and my butt smells. sigh. dry.gif
faerietails2
"on the upside, I can actually masturbate without roommates about...lol"

LOL! well that's one way of looking at it! biggrin.gif

I can't apply to jobs anymore. I just can't. It's demoralizing. Someone got back to me and told me I was overqualified and wouldn't be happy. And I'm like, "obviously I don't care since I applied for the job. Give me the fucking job!!!" Grr.
sassy
Yeah, so I found out yesterday the job I interviewed for a couple of weeks ago hired someone else. I had to find the guy's e-mail and e-mail him to find this out. Why can't jobs just tell you that they hired someone so you're not home waiting for a call?? That's the worst damn part! Anyway, he said I was a "strong candidate but we've hired someone else." If I was such a strong candidate, why didn't I even get a second interview?

Anyway...I haven't applied for anything for almost a month because there hasn't been anything in my field as of late. I'm frustrated, upset and feel like a failure. Family doesn't help...they just say "you'll find something soon." It's been 4 months...I sure don't feel like I'll find something anytime soon, especially when I haven't applied to anything for a long time. *sigh*
konphusion26
QUOTE(sassy @ Nov 28 2007, 12:52 PM) *
Yeah, so I found out yesterday the job I interviewed for a couple of weeks ago hired someone else. I had to find the guy's e-mail and e-mail him to find this out. Why can't jobs just tell you that they hired someone so you're not home waiting for a call?? That's the worst damn part! Anyway, he said I was a "strong candidate but we've hired someone else." If I was such a strong candidate, why didn't I even get a second interview?

Anyway...I haven't applied for anything for almost a month because there hasn't been anything in my field as of late. I'm frustrated, upset and feel like a failure. Family doesn't help...they just say "you'll find something soon." It's been 4 months...I sure don't feel like I'll find something anytime soon, especially when I haven't applied to anything for a long time. *sigh*

OMG We must've applied and interviewed with the same A-holes!!! Except the ones I dealt with were courteous enough to email me the same thing...."Oh you were a strong candidate, your qualifications were impressive, loved your interview. Yet we found another candidate whose qualifications more closely met our needs". WTF??? After 2 interviews, 2 computer assessments, and 3 wks of waiting.... How in the hell could they do that???? I've been out of work for almost 2 months now. I feel rejected, frustrated, and as you said, like a failure. I hate when ppl ask have I found something yet. Hello!!!! If I did, I would be working right now. GEEZ. After many tears and cussing out my old boss in my head, I applied for 2 or 3 new jobs. Haven't heard anything yet, and after going through the motions with this last company is kinda discouraging. Best of luck to you sweetheart!!!! It will get better for both of us!
konphusion26
QUOTE(anna k @ Nov 16 2007, 09:54 PM) *
I signed up with my third temp agency this week, and went to a job fair at my college visiting reps from Simon & Schuster, Penguin, and Random House. So now I know where I can apply directly for job positions there.

konphusion26, that really sucks. I worked for two weeks as a temp last month, and weeks without work makes me feel lazy and inept.

Hey Anna K! I seriously considered temping again. But with no car, and no way to get around other than the bus (which doesnt go everywhere, and taxis are ridiculous), it makes it increasingly more difficult to even do that! My sister's like, "well that would be a start"... Yes it would, but clients expect your azz to be able to GET to work on time in order to give you work. So, I dont understand what she's not comprehending about the whole thing. I used to be a temp, which led to my last permanent job. So being a TEMP is not a problem for me. But LOOK AT ME NOW MA!! LOL Sitting here at the PC in my pj's waiting for my next big break... LOL
anna k
My friend told me about a good temp agency in NYC called Manpower. I sent my resume to her career counselor, and am expecting to hear from her this week or next week.

I went for a job interview this morning at a non-profit organization presenting traditional and contemporary music from around the world, for a job doing data entry. I thought the woman interviewing me was very pretty in a soft, natural way, and I dressed nicely (black pants, peasant-chic top, silver bracelets, purple necklace) and felt confident. I was under the impression that it was an office assistant job, and was surprised when she said it was a volunteer job. If she offers the job to me, I'll take it, even though it's nonpaying, because I don't have anything else to do.
sassygrrl
Manpower is good. I've worked for them before. Volunteering is good, sometimes it can lead to something else. I got a job that way once.

I temped for a while too, before this part time job I have now. I hate that they expect you to kiss the ass of their client (I had one of the recruiter completely change around my resume three times in order to get a call). Nothing.

I'm working retail, which is boring as fuck. It seemed my the field that I want to go into has nothing unless I go get a masters.

Knon and Sassy, I fucking hate that. Best of luck!

((everybody))

oceangirl
It seems like most people I know are having trouble finding jobs. I have a friend who went through for his MA in English lit and did teacher's college and last I heard he was operating a ride at an amusement park working with 17 year olds. I'm not putting down those jobs but clearly when he went to teacher's college he had hoped for something else. I think eventually my friends will find jobs but it looks like a big struggle.

I am looking at this from an outsider's perspective because I have been unemployed for almost 4 years now due to severe illness (I'm 27). So I've seen my friends go out and get their MAs, BAs etc and work their butts off to find jobs but mostly they're all struggling a lot to find something other than min. wage jobs. I have also noticed that it seems like MA=the new BA. Anyway, when I get better I'll finish my BA (I had 2 credits left when I got seriously ill a few years back and haven't been able to return to finish my degree) and I am totally aware that having a BA is no guarantee of getting a job but it seems like for a lot of things now you need a BA at the absolute minimum. Now you need a BA to get jobs ten years ago you needed a high school diploma to get.

What sort of concerns me is that I will be almost 30 (I hope I'm better by 30!) when I start looking for a job and I have NO job experience at all. I have spent all of my 20s sick and as a result I have no job experience, no retail experience. I really missed out on all that. When I was well enough I was in university working on my degree and when I wasn't well enough I wasn't able to do work or go to school. Yikes so at this point I have a blank resume.

I am not even at the point of having to really think about these things yet because I am still working to regain my health and I'm still very sick. But this thread got me thinking about it!

What do you do when you're in a situation like mine? When you apply for jobs I think they ask you what you've been doing for the last X number of years. I guess you can say you've been sick right?
faerietails2
I know, I have that "I have a master's degree. How is this my life?" conversation of disbelief with myself on a daily basis. I might as well have stuck with my fuckin' high school diploma and become a secretary back home. rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I'm done with the job search until January. I'm flying home for 3 weeks to visit my family in the middle of December, so I don't see the point of applying anywhere anymore until the end of next month. Meanwhile, my student loan repayments kick in next month and I'm totally fucked. I'm gonna defer them, but it sucks to accumulate interest in the meantime.

((oceangirl)) Good luck. Illness is definitely a valid reason for not having work experience, and you have most of your school under your belt, so it's not like you have nothing to show for it.
octobersky
QUOTE(faerietails2 @ Nov 29 2007, 09:12 PM) *
I know, I have that "I have a master's degree. How is this my life?" conversation of disbelief with myself on a daily basis. I might as well have stuck with my fuckin' high school diploma and become a secretary back home. rolleyes.gif

Yeah that's my conversation too, except sub two undergraduate degrees and 6 years experience in training and development. So yeah apparently that qualifies me to work as a barista! Yeah and I'm 35 - it's kinda embarrasing when I have to wait on people I went to high school with make assumptions about my life. They have no idea that I've gained two degrees, travelled and generally enjoyed my twenties while they were getting married/divorced and popping out crotchfruit. It's like because I don't have a shiny ring on my finger, crotchfruit or a prestigious job I'm a failure.

I have a psychology and teaching degree and I can't find jobs in either field. I even tried to get on the sub teaching list, but according to the bitchy woman at the county edu office "the sub list is full." So I can't even supplement my 25 hours a week at giant coffee conglomeration with substitute teaching. It really worries me 'cause when it comes time to apply for teaching jobs in the spring - there's a whole year I haven't gained any experience - it really doesn't look good and the fact that the "sub list was full" isn't going to cut it.

Oceangirl - you have a VERY valid reason for not gaining work experience. When you go back to finish your degree, perhaps you could volunteer (as people said below) to help gain experience and contacts in your field.
konphusion26
deleted
sassy
konphusion26: I totally understand where you're coming from! My manager (whom knows I am looking for a full-time position in my field) tells me to apply for everything. When I reply, "But I don't have the experience required for this job..." she says, "It's good practice, though." Um...yeah. I can't even get interviews for jobs I am qualified for, so why should I waste my time applying for jobs I have no chance of ever getting.
faerietails2
Okay, here's my apply-for-a-job-you're-not-qualified-for horror story:

Over the summer I just decided, fuck it, I'll apply for these jobs anyway. This ad comes along, and I meet all the qualifications except for one pesky detail: must speak Spanish. Anyway, I ended up getting an interview (it was for a latino non-profit activist/community organizer position).

So I get there, and it's a whole group of women conducting the interview in this tiny office. I sit down...and one of the women starts blabbering away. In Spanish. I'm Chicana, I look Chicana, and I grew up 5 miles from the Mexican border, so I understand most of what she's saying, but I can't actually speak Spanish for shit if my life depended on it. I thought if I *did* get the job, it wouldn't be that hard to brush up and re-learn whatever shitty Spanish I knew to hold a passable conversation.

Anyway, after introducing everyone and talking about the position for a while (in Spanish), she finally gets to a question, at which point I had to fess up and tell her that I knew what she was saying, but couldn't respond in Spanish. One of the older women there doesn't speak any English whatsoever, so the rest of that excruciating interview was back and forth translations.

I wanted to die. I actually considered just standing up and walking out the door. And then I tried to make a lame joke out of it when they asked "what are your weaknesses?" I was like..."um, I could brush up on my Spanish..."

That was soooooooo mortifying. I think it's hilarious now, but at the time I just wanted to die! laugh.gif
go_kayte
Hey Busties!!
It's been a loooong time since I posted. I thought this would be the appropriate thread for my return since I quit my job yesterday. A risky move but I think necessary. I was doing glorified telemarketing ('telephone sales") in an all-male annoying work environment where I was being micromanaged constantly by my coworkers who thought I couldn't figure things out myself, also berated and insulted by customers all day. I quit just as they were reducing my pay to minimum wage salaried - no overtime since I never worked less than 45 hours a week. Against commission but I wasn't close to breaking base. It was shitty. My mom thinks I'm crazy. I think everything's ok though. I don't have any savings (since it turned out I wasn't making enough to support myself and my boyfriend here in the first place) but I increased my credit line quite a bit. I had a job interview this week that I think went well, and I have another one next week. I also applied to several graduate schools. Still, I do feel like I just swan-dived off a cliff.
So anyway, this is going to be interesting. If I don't hear anything from the jobs I applied for in about 2 weeks we're gonna move to Chicago, where it is more expensive to live but there are way more engineering jobs for me. I really would like to actually work in my field where it's possible to make money (or so I've heard).
Anyway, Hi Busties!!!
Moonpieluv
Oh my lawrd, am I happy that this thread exists and that there are other people out there feeling, cursing, weeping, obsessing, feeling smelly (it's like why even take a freaking shower? only to get back into my jammies)....in the weird, humilating, rollercoaster world of jobhunting.

I concur with others how family and friends not really understanding how frustrating this all is... the "you'll find something soon, you will. Why don't you get out of the house and walk around or something? or put your christmas tree up... or something?" Cause you know I don't have the damn money to do anything including driving around using up gas that's $3 a gallon.

When they call me to check up on my poor broke arse, I really don't have much to report other than job related issues. sigh.

My interview hell was a guy who told me to come in the day before Thanksgiving at 1:30p.m. for a non-specified interview, meaning I didn't know what the hell position I was interviewing for... And I must say, I wasn't quite sure about the entertainment co. in the first place..Not sure where I would fit in other than marketing perhaps.. anything where I could write things. So I thought maybe I would just fit in somewhere.
COme to find out, they aren't actually hiring, that this was merely an informational interview, that they will keep my resume on file if something were to come up, and that I should start at the VERY VERY bottom on the street level as a contract worker basically working for crumbs and kissing ass in the meantime. I NEED $$$$ people! I don't have time to start at the f-ing bottom right now! I need to pay rent! I think this guy was being entertained by the fact that I wasn't really prepared to interview with this company.. that I don't know much about the industry...so he slammed me for his own pleasure or something.

WE HAVE GOT TO START SOMEWHERE! why is it that companies don't realize that we are going to have a varied work history? Why won't they just throw you bone and take a chance with you? That it's natural to not have it all figured out in your 20's...

I'm knocking myself cause I didn't go straight into some entry level job at some blah blah office straight outta college. I was exploring things before I got it together and buckled down for graduate school.

I haven't even been able to get a job as a customer service rep for a cable company and I have YEARS of customer service skills.
An enviromental consulting company (do I know anything about environmental consulting---NOOO!) needs writing samples and my transcripts before they'll even grant me an interview as a technical writer/office administrator. I do understand, but going to the trouble of getting my transcripts for a job I probably won't land anyways, even though they clearly stated they wanted a person who majored in English.

I think I will spiral hard if a temp agency doesn't even respond. I've since simplified my resume to a more concise, reader friendly, level (it was too verbose before), had others look at it and help edit it who had resume writing classes in the past, and redid my cover letter to include bullet points. So I swear, I better get SOMETHING soon.
Meanwhile, I've got dandelions and cupcakes coming out of coochie I'm so happy.
not.
SORRY SO LONG! Sigh... I feel better... for now.
konphusion26
Quite a gutsy move my friend! I'd be freaking out right now. But no job is worth your dignity or self respect. I applaud you for walking away from that environment. I do wish you the best in finding something soon. It's certainly not easy...

QUOTE(go_kayte @ Dec 1 2007, 08:39 AM) *
Hey Busties!!
It's been a loooong time since I posted. I thought this would be the appropriate thread for my return since I quit my job yesterday. A risky move but I think necessary. I was doing glorified telemarketing ('telephone sales") in an all-male annoying work environment where I was being micromanaged constantly by my coworkers who thought I couldn't figure things out myself, also berated and insulted by customers all day. I quit just as they were reducing my pay to minimum wage salaried - no overtime since I never worked less than 45 hours a week. Against commission but I wasn't close to breaking base. It was shitty. My mom thinks I'm crazy. I think everything's ok though. I don't have any savings (since it turned out I wasn't making enough to support myself and my boyfriend here in the first place) but I increased my credit line quite a bit. I had a job interview this week that I think went well, and I have another one next week. I also applied to several graduate schools. Still, I do feel like I just swan-dived off a cliff.
So anyway, this is going to be interesting. If I don't hear anything from the jobs I applied for in about 2 weeks we're gonna move to Chicago, where it is more expensive to live but there are way more engineering jobs for me. I really would like to actually work in my field where it's possible to make money (or so I've heard).
Anyway, Hi Busties!!!

konphusion26
QUOTE(Moonpieluv @ Dec 1 2007, 03:37 PM) *
Meanwhile, I've got dandelions and cupcakes coming out of coochie I'm so happy.
not.
SORRY SO LONG! Sigh... I feel better... for now.

Girllllfriend... I am over here almost choked on my food when I read this part!!!!! LMAO That is hilarious. Try to keep your head up sweetie! And get your laugh on. Its definitely helping me get through this.
Muffy
oceangirl, Explaining your illness at an interview but your defintly going to need something to put on your resume to get that interview. Since you have yet to finish going to school there is still a chance to gain experience by getting an internship... or even volunteering in your community at a nonprofit or something. good luck

I lost my second job in September, which unfortunately was in the arts, my field. My current employment pays $7.40 an hour, there are days when I wonder what's the point of even going there and working my ass off when I can't afford to pay off bills, move out on my own, and don't know how I'm going to buy x-mas gifts. I'm basically working just to pay bills. the other day I overdrew on my account! And because I'm on part time unemployment I'm supposed to keep track of every job I apply to in case the RI department of labor and training decides to 'check up' on me and make sure I'm actually looking for full-time work. I've applied to a half a dozen different jobs, I have to apply to at least 3 a week and I've had like three interviews since September. one job was to work at an f'n coffee shop, i want to know how someone with at least 10 years waitress experience isn't qualified to pour coffee???! they never called and I can only imagine this is the reason I also work in retail so I have customer service experience. I honestly didn't give a shit about working in a coffee shop I just need more income. I'm just frustrated and annoyed at my situation. I really wanted to be able to go grad next fall, now it looks like if I'm lucky I can go to the community college because there's no way I can even dream of applying to grad school.
Moonpieluv
Okay.. So I have some good news, I hope! I finally got a call from M.A.C. to come in a fill out an application for a full time position tomorrow. HURRAY!

I had inquired about the job a month ago, and they didn't have any openings. But now they do.

I have a history with them, so I don't have to endure training, etc. I can pick up some decent money while I search for a job that possibly pays more or has more to do with what I want to study in grad. school.

See, I'm also new to this city, so at least, this way... I'm getting out of the house and meeting people.

I hope all goes smoothly tomorrow!

Good luck to all. This isn't the end of the job hunt for me, just a way to at least pay my bills.

And Muffy, I feel your pain. I worry about grad. school. I was so f-in frustrated that that cable company didn't seem to think I could pick up a phone. it can be so degrading no matter how many people tell you not to take it so personally. sheesh.
Moonpieluv
sigh... well. I have to go in for a formal interview and conduct an application interview.... and my qualifications on my resume far exceed having to do such a thing... but I guess that's protocol.

So nothing is set in stone. I just need some dough. please please. Living in a new city without a job thoroughly sucks.
If this doesn't work out, I'm going to borders or something.

Oh, and.....

Has anyone had to submit a copy of their transcripts to a job prospect? Are they wanting an official copy or just a copy? Why do they require such a thing when you graduated 6 yrs ago?

I'm not putting too much into this environmental consulting co. cause I think ultimatley I'll be Bored out of my skull. But....
konphusion26
deleted
go_kayte
Best wishes to all the unemployed Busties!! I'm going to Chicago tomorrow to talk to a few grad schools and see if I can sneak in for spring semester. I have some pretty stellar letters of recommendation so hopefully I can, but I also know how slowly everyone moves in academics. Last week I interviewed for a job in Madison and they're calling me Thursday or Friday with the decision. I'm not freaking, but when I think of how much trouble and expense moving is it kind of freaks me out. One thing that made me feel good was that one of my customers (one I had worked quite a bit with) from the job I just quit emailed me when he found out I had left, offering to help me with my job search and he gave me a few leads I will check out. I realize now more than ever that networking is practically the best thing you can do to get work. I'm going to contact some of my professors and previous employers for job leads as well - probably way more likely to get work that way than through monster. Honestly what I really want is to go to grad school and get a PhD but if I can't get a buttload of financial aid or a great assistantship I don't see how it's gonna happen.
Good luck everyone!
sassy
I have an interview next week for a paid internship in my field (public relations.) While I wish I could find a full-time job, this internship is better than my current job. 32+ hours a week at $9 an hour. I hope I get it so I can have another 3-4 months for job hunting.
sassygrrl
((Sassy))

Gokayate, good luck on grad school.

I'm still looking for a full time job. I went on an interview Monday, and they made me take one of those weird personality tests(it was a receptionist paying $16 an hour). I got a call from the temp agency saying I failed. That's so odd. Makes me feel really depressed. Working retail is okay, but I've got to find something more than 12 hours a week! I can't live on it.

((everybody))

Muffy
sassygrrl, you failed the personality test? that's an awful thing for them to say! I once went to a graphic design job interview where they gave me not only a personality test but an IQ test too! that was odd.

Mooniepieluv, good luck with the job!

I've been so depressed about my situation as of late I realized I hadn't washed my hair in a few days. I can't wash my naturally curly hair every day because it dries out, its usually every other day, but we're talking it was like four days without being washed! someone here had mentioned not bother to shower and suddenly I realized how not showering could've happened. At least curly hair takes awhile to actually look dirty. I washed my hair, by the way, maybe clean hair will get me a job?
faerietails2
Muffy, don't feel bad. I don't think I've washed my hair in 3-4 days either. I totally understand the not showering thing. It's like...what's the point? (that, plus my apartment is freaking cold and getting wet is really unpleasant.) I don't go anywhere because I don't have the money to do anything cool. This whole joblessness thing is a very lonely, depressing existence. I'm like a freaking hermit, except I do go volunteer witht he humane society every morning, so the only "people" I ever talk to are cats. UGH! It's ridiculous. I'm going home for 3 weeks starting next sunday, so I'll be very happy to see my dog and my old friends and my baby nephew...and other humans in general.

Stinky girls unite! tongue.gif
faerietails2
ignoring now...
anna k
I signed up with Manpower, and heard back from a receptionist job I applied to through Craigslist, though I can't remember what kind of business it is for. I need more money and to stay occupied and develop new relationships with people.
Moonpieluv
I still haven't gotten a call for the formal interview... So I called this morning to check in by saying.."i have plans to out of town this weekend, so I wanted make sure you didn't have our interview scheduled" kinda approach. The girl I spoke with said she would leave a message... she's really nice.. and I would like to hang out with her regardless of the job... but I just got a weird sensation that maybe I wasn't going to get a call for the interview in the first place.

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND. I'm so thoroughly qualified for the position. My portfolio must have been impressive cause upon meeting another manager, she mentioned she had heard about my fab portfolio, etc. etc.

It' s the waiting that just kills me.

And another job replied stating when would be a good time for an interview... and I replied back, of course. But then NOTHING! WTF!!!!!!

I haven't washed my hair in 4 days...and i live in my jammies. The only bath I've really had has been a "old maid's bath".
Hmmmm.... am I going to end up an old maid? (sniff)

Good luck everyone!!!! It's a lonely, humilating existence...and stinky at times.... But at least we have each other, right?
go_kayte
I did get into grad school, at Depaul in Chicago. But the problem is I won't be eligible for an assistantship for 2 quarters. So I'd need to get a job until then, and to get an apartment in Chicago I'll need a cosigner and my parents pretty much said they're tired of having to cosign for me... sigh... And moving is expensive. I'm already maxed out on credit. Grr! I'm looking around my apartment for things I can sell that I won't miss too much so I can get some moving money together.
I did find a cool apartment in chicago though! I hope I can afford to move into it.

I hate those personality tests. What a waste of time. I don't understand what they think they can find out from those that they can't find out just by asking me or my references.

Stinky is one thing but at least you're not losing your hair like me... I am getting worried about it now, it is really thinning out around my part in front. My boyfriend said you couldn't notice it but my stylist made a huge deal about it. Which does not make me feel very confident.

Stay strong girls!!
konphusion26
deleted
faerietails2
I spent all of yesterday in bed (except for Project Runway hour, which I spent in the living room). Not good. I never used to sleep during the day. Now it's just like...whatever.

I, too, have given up on applying until after the holidays. I'm just counting the days until Sunday when I get to fly home and visit my family for three weeks. I miss my dog.
anna k
I went for two job interviews this week. One was for a part-time receptionist in a financial group, answering phones and connecting people like a telephone operator. I was told I'd receive a call later that day if they were interested, and I didn't get a call back.

Then today I went for a job interview as a part-time personal assistant to a social worker, organizing her schedule and reminding her of things as well as doing stuff like walking her dogs and picking up her laundry. It didn't sound too exciting, but I went for the interview anyway.
Moonpieluv
well, I start a temp-to-hire job tomorrow for an environmental corp.
I truly don't know how I feel about it. I'm glad I finally got a job, I stood my ground with salary requirements, and it is something that will ultimately look better on my resume and could lead to better jobs, etc.

I just can't feel like THIS IS IT! I'm dubious because i felt like HOW i got the job was unprofessional and dubious. They offered me the position, I accepted with a verbal contract of salary. THEN they wanted to re-open negotiations to try to pay me less. They claimed that because I made so much less at my last job, which was non-profit fyi... and was able to survive in a city with a higher standard of living.... that they can't justify paying me what I wanted.
Needless to say, I was SOOO pissed. But held my ground or I would walk.

Guess they are so desperate that they finally accepted and Voila!
And although, I'll finally have a schedule, income, insurance, etc.
I still can't help but feel a sense of foreboding. The staffing service keeps telling me how demanding this job is... how blunt and demanding the boss is.... and he is a slight cock-ass, too.

I just need this money so bad that I guess I'll deal while I try to find a stable, permanent position. I can always leave, so that's the upside.

The other job still hasn't called to follow up after our meet-and-great TWO weeks ago! She told me she would call. and well, there you have it. How do these people sleep at night treating people so horribly?
go_kayte
Moonpieluv, Good for you for standing your ground!!!! That is hard to do, so you should be proud, even if it's not a dream job at least it's something.

Today my bf said I smell like pickles...ew...guess it's time I washed my jammies smile.gif
I guess I better move over to the academia thread since I'm definitely going to grad school starting in just a few weeks. Good luck to all the unemployed busties!
sassy
I've had two job interviews this week and I have one for next Tuesday. If I don't get one of these jobs, I'm going to scream!!
knorl05
ugh.
i'm not even hunting.
i'm simply thinking about what i want to do next.
i've dont it all. literally. anything you could do without a degree, i've done it. twenty employers over the last ten years or so, which makes it that much harder for me to find a 'legitimate' job.
i think by now my only options are to become a writer, work for myself, or go back to school if i want to make real money and be happy. i'm so tired of going back to the service industry because its the most predictable way to make a somewhat steady/ok income.
so now i feel stuck.
any busties able to empathize or offer some sort of feedback..? that would be divine!
sassy
I feel your pain! I had four job interviews a couple of weeks ago and I didn't get any of them!! I thought I did good on my interviews...and I was qualified for each job. I must be competing with a lot of other people, or I just don't have the right connections to get a job these days.

I have two interviews coming up in the next week so hopefully I get one. I'm going to be unemployed soon so I'm really starting to get stressed out about this.

knorlo: A lot of girls on here have degrees, including master's degrees, and still can't find a job! Education isn't always a guarantee, although I guess it helps. Good luck, girl.
stellargirl9
I've been unemployed for 6 months now and I have to say getting laid off was the greatest thing to happen to me. It gave me the push I needed to leave a crappy job full of toxic people (I was a paralegal at a law firm). I know I will have to start job hunting soon and I am completely dreading it. I just want to make sure this time around I get something I don't absolutely detest like I did my last job.
konphusion26
deleted
octobersky
Still no real job for me! Yep graduated in June, nothing for me.

I'm supposed to start a long term sub job teaching senior English, which is fine and dandy - but the pay STINKS and zero benefits - no health insurance or pay in to state teacher retirement. I'm hoping it will help fill out my resume, but bleh.

Good luck in the new year finding jobs Busties!!!
anna k
I got a job! I'm going to be working full-time at Shakespeare & Co., working the spring textbook rush. I'm glad to get some money and have a job post-college.
konphusion26
Congrats AnnaK!
loridk
How's this for a stupid situation: I got hired at a web design firm. The boss was impressed with my work, ect and hired me on the spot. Now I wait for him to call me in. And wait. It's been almost a month. He even got back to me and confirmed that I still have the job but they are just waiting for the flood of work to come in that they have to get done. So I wait. And wait.
sassy
loridk: That's really crappy of them! They don't sound very professional...
knorl05
sweetness anna k!!! congratulations, that's awesome. wink.gif keep us posted how it goes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.