Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: why can't I just stay unemployed? the job hunting hell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Working Grrls
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
geekchickknits
I know, I'm just doing my best (albeit not very well) to be a good "wife" to my roomie.....who is working two jobs. That's right, two jobs for him, none for me!

I need a job. Please Maude, I need a job, like, NOW!
candycane_girl
Ugh, I hate trying to find a job. I'm looking for something just for the summer and I've found one decent site that has stuff that's actually relevant to the program I'm in. But I feel like I never know how to make my experience sound good. For example, my last job was in a bookstore. What the heck am I supposed to say? I shelved books and pretended to be interested in Twilight. My career counselor seemed interested in the fact that I've volunteered with my hometown's pride festival. However, it was only for one day and I sold drink tickets. How do I make facilitating people's drunkeness relevant? Gah.
angie_21
did you use any software for tracking books in the store? Any kind of computer skills you used are relevant, or even ones you've learned from hobbies, as long as they are common programs. If you organized displays at the store, that's artistic and advertising skills. You also have a ton of experience with sales and customer service from the bookstore (sounds blah, but it's a skill they ask for with most admin and entry level jobs). Selling drink tickets is also working with the public and customer service. Even for one day, volunteer work shows that you are "motivated" and such. You're not exaggerating by putting these activities in a more positive light, if you were good at these things then they really are skills you should be selling on your resume.
Persiflager
I'll second that, 'people' skills are relevant to most jobs. Good examples to point out are how you dealt with any difficult customers, or any times you went out of your way to provide good service (e.g. finding good alternative books or placing special orders). When you sold drink tickets, did you have to refuse anyone drink because they looked underage or were too drunk?

Also general skills such as time management (being punctual for your shifts), working on a team (by helping out new members of staff), being proactive (if you made any suggestions about improving displays, layout etc). And any personal skills you learned, e.g. if you used to be really shy but working with customers every day made you much more confident.
angie_21
Not that my advice might be worth anything at the moment.. *sigh* it sucks, for the last 3 years, my field of work was sooo busy I could even jump between companies because they were all competing for workers. I haven't been unemployed this long since finishing undergrad. I have done pretty much everything you're supposed to, I am even connected to all the right people in all the right places, and they all keep telling me how much they want to hire me, as soon as that funding comes in, or as soon as we can get this job posting approved, or as soon as we have more clients and projects to be worked on... just sitting here, waiting by the phone...
thirtiesgirl
I work in education in Southern California, and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and find out if I'm going to get my pink slip. As are at least 5,000 other teachers and counselors in the Los Angeles Unified School District. I'm refusing to let myself think about the awful possibility yet, though.
candycane_girl
Thanks for the support, ladies. I get so depressed every time I try to look for a job. At the bookstore, I never got to the point of using the software to track inventory because I was seasonal. Any time we did special orders it was called a kiosk order. As for the drink tickets I didn't have to refuse anyone. We carded people and no one got too drunk. Blah, I hate trying to write a resume.
lananans
Candycane -- I used to work in a bookstore as well, was seasonal as well -- the kiosk orders were a pain, as was selling the membership cards. If we didn't sell 3.5% a week we got reamed out. I eventually quit after an incident involving mini-book organization. It was AWFUL.

Good luck with the job hunting:)
candycane_girl
lananans, I'm going to take a wild guess that we've worked for the same company. I hated selling the membership cards although I apparently always kept up a decent percentage. And they would give us $5 gift cards whenever we sold a lot. I think I was lucky, the managers at my store were pretty decent and just tried to be encouraging if our membership card sales were low.
angie_21
OK I have a questions for all the unemployeds out there.. what do you do to keep yourself from going insane all day? I mean, I can think of a million things I have always wanted to do if I had the free time... but they all involve spending money, which makes them impossible. I am getting very tired of cleaning, cooking, checking email, and waiting for the phone to ring. I've tackled the household paperwork/finances and gotten it mostly cleaned up. Now I am completely out of things to do to feel constructive!
lananans
candycane -- our manager would harrass us in front of customers who were paying for books to sell more cards, ask us how many cards we had, high five us if we had a lot. My percentage was usually pretty good as well, except during the Christmas rush. I'm just glad I don't work there anymore.

angie -- I don't know how you feel about exercise - but when I was unemployed for a few months in the fall I spent a lot of time walking. It's free, and the whole endorphins thing is pretty beneficial.
sassygrrl
Angie, I second what lananans says. When I get really anxious about not hearing back from a job or I'm just sick of sending resumes/cover letters, I tend to go on a walk. Sometimes it clears my head. I figure at least it gets me out of the house.

angie_21
That is a good idea. And it's finally nice outside! I had been doing workout videos indoors but I always have to shake of the feeling that I am "wasting time" when I do that. As if fruitlessly searching the same job boards over and over isn't wasting time anyways!
sassygrrl
How is everyone doing?

I'm trying to volunteer with certain non profits, but I'm still really depressed. I would just love a job. I'm sick of sending cover letters/resumes, and laying around the house when I can't find temp work.

Argh!

lilacwine13
Sassy, I know a friend who became very active in her branch of Habitat for Humanity when she was out of work, it seemed to help keep her mind off of things. It might be something to add to the resume too, depending on where you volunteer.

I took a trip in order to clear my head and to try to figure out what to do next. It ate up a good chunk of my savings but in the end, it was the best choice. I couldn't take sitting around the house for much longer and stressing out over being unemployed. I did bring along the laptop and sent out some resumes, so while it was a break from the norm, I did get some stuff done. I had a phone interview with one company while I was away, they said I was a perfect fit for the position, but then they never called me back. I was really bummed.

Unfortunately, I come back to the same circumstances as when I left--no job, no prospects and I get to start applying for jobs in my area that are not related to my field. I did visit a couple friends in my field and they gave me a few pointers on job searching, though. Now I get to spend the next few days really concentrating on this and everything else I put on hold.
mumblestutter
right now i'm employed part time. but it just isn't enough. and my hours are totally inconsistent. i never know what time of day i'm going to be working. i apply for full time jobs, when there are ads out there... but they are so few and far between. I really just want some cash now.

My project for today is fixing my printer. Hopefully i'll be able to print resumes before the day is over. tomorrow i'm going to go, freshly minted resumes in hand, and apply for every crappy food service/retail job i can find. it'll be nice to have a job that i won't feel bad about quitting. everyone's so hungry for work right now. i'm sure if there's ever a time conflict i'll be able to get someone to cover my shift.
angie_21
No luck for me. I am applying for a bunch of boring admin jobs tomorrow, and presenting my thesis research on thursday ("networking" woohoo.) And waiting for calls. Summer fieldwork jobs should be coming up soon, and I am sure I will at least get some of that! It is just a matter of waiting. with no money. I want to get back into the field so damn bad!
sassygrrl
Lilac, I was going to take a trip last weekend to clear my head as well. I may do it next weekend.

My internship basically dried up. They now only need me once a week. I'm trying to look at this as a positive opportunity. It upset me a lot b/c I thought they really needed me, and now all the office politics are getting to me.

There are a few great free spring festivals happening here over the weekend. I'm going to try to pull myself out of my funk, and out of the house.

Good luck everyone.
Chairman Miaow
Angle 21: I clean the house, I try new recipes. I do volunteer work, try out for freelance writing gigs to get work experience, and spend way too much time online. The two things I would love to do more of are exercise (I've never exercised outside of the gym before EVER but we can't afford a membership, so I am struggling with this one) and do more creative writing. It's funny how you suddenly find you have a lot of time on your hands, but can't stop living day-to-day.
angie_21
Thanks chairman. Right now I've been cleaning and cooking, and getting done a lot of tasks that would usually never get done, like filing our paperwork and organizing all our finances. I've also been able to meet my mom for coffee, things like that. For the last few weeks all my time has been taken up with handling the paperwork for a mortgage, thanks to the incompetence of a few people at the bank. I hate going to the gym - I've always worked out at home. I have some hand weights, a balance ball and a yoga mat, which is all you really need. I also have a few workout videos, but mostly I go out for a walk with someone when I want some excercise.

Today I feel like I have hit the bottom. I've been applying for jobs since before my contract ran out at the end of February. I mean, applying for at least 3 or 4 jobs every week. Not one call for even an interview. And it's not like I'm aiming too high, I can't even get a job as a waitress right now because they have too many applications. I've applied to 2 temp agencies, one that promised me work and never called, and another that straight out told me they already had too many people on their list. They were going to renew my contract where I was before (they had told me I would be able to come back at the beginning of April) but the funding got cut. I can't even get unemployment insurance because I was a student and not working regular hours, then on a contract and not paying premiums anymore. I'm starting to get really scared about being able to pay the bills. I only have another 2 months I can go on my savings.
lilacwine13
Argh, I think I'm close to hitting the bottom as well. The only place I've heard back from is a laundry position for a resort nearby. I might end up taking it because I really need the money.

I talk to people in my field and they tell me that there is nothing going on and every job opening is getting at least 100 applicants. One guy at a company I applied at said I was on their short list, they'd hire me but they have nothing going on at this time. Ditto for everywhere else I've heard from. The economy is playing a huge role in stuff not getting dug and it is making me depressed.

Right now I've been helping my parents out with their yard work, taking lots of walks, trying out new recipes and studying for the GRE with the idea that I might go to grad school next year. I'm also reading a lot and trying to get back to learning Spanish, but I keep finding new TV shows to become addicted to and of course, I spend way too much time online.
Good2go
I was a part time receptionist in a recruitment agency, of course that's just gone down the sink. Hum ho what to do, luckily I have a daughter of 18 months, who doesn't let me sit and think about the ton of pooh I'm up to my neck in financially for too long. I think I might go wind up my friends, play tricks on them, then film it, then send it off somewhere and get my own series, yes, I'll go do that yes I will. x
sassygrrl
Maybe there's a BUST bug going around? I feel the same way. July will be a year, and it's never been that long. Temp agencies have dried up, and the only thing I have is a partly paid (one day a week) internship. I'm 32, and working for free. I did hear some news that a company was fielding my resume but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I've been very depressed lately.

Right now on my off days(which are a lot) I'm cleaning the house, trying to work out, and considering graduate school next year. I don't know in what program because I can't seem to get motivated. I honestly wish I lived closer in to the city, so I could at least head to my favorite coffee shop.

I'm taking a trip next week to maybe clear my head a bit.

Chairman, where do you find your freelance gigs? I'm just curious.

angie_21
A year? Wow, I am sending positive good-luck vibes your way right now, hope you can feelk them! Road trips are a great idea, they do help to put everything in perspective!

Hopefully I have some (temporary) good luck coming my way. There are 2 possible fieldwork jobs sitting on the sidelines, I just got a call about one this afternoon! It's very short term, and it might prevent me from getting the long(er) term, possibly higher paying job later on, so it may be a tough decision. At this point though, I am smart enough to take whatever I can get, because everything keeps getting cancelled before I get a call back. A few positive summer opportunities have come up, but none of them go past September, so I will be back here soon enough if the world doesn't get better already. If only I had known to apply for school back before the deadlines.

I started looking at freelance and got very discouraged because I have no portfolio with which to attract any jobs. Darn.
geekchickknits
Put the good vibes out there ladies....this is my week.

I had a second interview today for a fantastic opportunity and they're going to bring me back for a third!

(so excited!)
sassygrrl
(((interview vibes))

Yeah, thanks for the vibes. I'm happy that I have an internship, and I do have good news about a company fielding my resume. They emailed me last week so that's a good thing. I'm just really needing a job.

((everyone))

angie_21
Yay! Summer is coming and so are the jobs. And the short-term one at least pays much better than I expected. Of course the only jobs I am even close to getting are thru contacts, not thru the job boards. This one is a guy I talked to once in February, but he worked with my former supervisor 5 years ago and that was all he needed to know about me, no resume or anything. And I got another email today that might lead to a short contract. If only these things were full-time jobs!
lilacwine13
((((good luck vibes)))))
sassygrrl
Good luck to everyone!
geekchickknits
Today I have the first interview for a job I was recommended for by a friend, and then tomorrow I have a third interview for another one!

Both are awesome opportunities, and I am so happy that after MONTHS of looking, things are actually happening!
geekchickknits
BOO-YAH! I am in demand. I got called to interview for another job! I may have interviews with three different companies tomorrow - eek! Better keep them all straight!

I hope things are going as well for the other job hunting busties out there. This has been a long slog for me, and I don't have a job yet, but good maude I'm feeling better.

(((employment vibes)))

(((good luck vibes)))
girl_logic
Congratulations geekchickknits, more power to ya!
geekchickknits
QUOTE(girl_logic @ May 7 2009, 12:59 PM) *
Congratulations geekchickknits, more power to ya!

Thanks! I'm completely exhausted from all the interviews today. I think all of them went well. I gave good interview, and I'm confident I will be offered at least one of these jobs (and in one case be called back for a third interview, then offered the job.)

((((busties))))
angie_21
QUOTE(geekchickknits @ May 7 2009, 03:05 PM) *
Thanks! I'm completely exhausted from all the interviews today. I think all of them went well. I gave good interview, and I'm confident I will be offered at least one of these jobs (and in one case be called back for a third interview, then offered the job.)
((((busties))))

That's awesome!
anna k
I felt down last night, feeling depressed about my career prospects. I graduated from college last year, and have been working part-time at a museum since then. It pays my bills, but I can't get a full-time position because I majored in English and they wanted an art history major. Throughout college, I did three internships. One was for a major publication, which was good for experience, but didn't become a job. One was for a major magazine, but I felt unchallenged and didn't like the environment. The other was for PR, which I wasn't crazy about but did fine in, and got a paid position, only to be let go a few months later because the boss wanted more experienced people to assist her. I temped in a bookstore for a month, graduated college, got my job, and then got another internship at a literary agency, and had high hopes. I read manuscripts and became a sharper editor, but I had gotten it in October of last year, just as the economy crashed. I stayed there for five months, before asking my boss about job opportunities and my career goals, and she said most places weren't hiring or were in a freeze, so it wasn't going anywhere.

Now I'm still at my job, which I'm grateful for. I wasn't interested in more unpaid internships, but applied to one for a film magazine since I'm an avid writer and know a lot about film, and ended up getting the job. So now I go there three days a week in addition to my PT job, where I write film reviews for their website and do some editorial content. It's great work that I'm enthusiatic about, and I hope it turns into something stronger.

I felt so bad last night that I'm 25, working a PT job, have had five internships in four years (three while attending college), and didn't become the success in publishing that I wanted to be. I don't want to feel like a failure, or not an adult, or as if I wasted my career and life. I truly worked towards my goals, but it didn't pan out for me, and it's disappointing. I've applied via monster.com and careerbuilder and craigslist, and it can feel hopeless to know that I'm one of thousands doing the same thing, and receiving crap emails. I'm going to try Indeed.com and Idealist.org as well, and just work as hard as I can.
angie_21
Hi Anna. I just interviewed for an internship this morning, and am pretty sure I didn't get it. I'm pretty much in the exact same boat - I'm getting jobs, they may eventually lead somewhere, but they're all part time and tempporary. I like what I'm doing, but so sick of not having any security or even knowing what I'll be doing next week, or next month, or sometimes even tomorrow! I'm 25 too, I finished school in November (almost a year ago!). I was bummed to just meet a girl in a similar field who got a full time government job literally the same month as she graduated this spring. I think I had even applied for the position.

I keep telling myself the only reason it's taking so long is because of the crash. If I had finished school half a year earlier, I know I would have got hired because I was kind of being scouted by a good company but then when everything tanked they brought out the dreaded hiring freeze. If that company hadn't worked out there were quite a few others that probably would have, but they all let people go over the winter, never mind hiring new staff! So it's contracts and part-time work for me for a little while longer, I guess.

If things are anything like this with publishing, you certainly haven't failed, I mean the fact that you've landed internships over the last while is pretty good as it is! I know how much it sucks to just hurry up and wait, but I guess it's all we can do. Don't be depressed - things will swing back up again and in the meantime at least you have a job, and you can work on proving your skills and trying to earn more responsibilities and learn new skills to help you out when there are more things opening up. I don;t know if applying for jobs on Monster is worth it, it sure hasn't worked for me! Have you looked into freelancing? I'm too chicken to give it a try.
anna k
Hi Angie. I did a get a response via Monster.com from a website that provides educational resources for teachers and students, it would be an editorial assistant job. Besides that, nothing else that would be legitimate.

I do freelancing, but have only gotten paid once for it. Mostly I write for an online publication to build my portfolio and for the love of writing. Last night I worked for about five hours transcribing an audio interview with a director for the film magazine, wanting to get it done all at once because I'll be busy this weekend with work and social stuff. It was hard but good work.

Thank you for the kind words, it's good to know that I'm not alone in this.
Jay00
QUOTE(sassygrrl @ Apr 30 2006, 11:27 PM) *
KeenKitty, would that be like an Americorps Vista? Just wondering, I just got out of an Americorps stint... it was hell.

It was was hell on earth. The funny thing is that the low pay, uneducated staff, corky volunteers, and high stress position of trying to setup a system that's been ran down to the ground didn't bother me. It was the devil of a supervisor I "served" under as an AmeriCorps Vista. A paid volunteer is ironic to me. After searching for a year, I finally found a federal job. All those myths about quitting AmeriCorps without fill out proper paperwork and being banned from getting federal employment is a myth. I'll clean houses or work at McDonald's before I ever work at AmeriCorps again.

http://theameritruth.blogspot.com/
Persiflager
Hi Jay00!

Please stop by the Newbies thread and introduce yourself.

Thanks!
angie_21
Hi guys. Hope things are getting better Anna. That's awesome about the writing! Keep it up, one of my friends just published an e-book! It took her a year, but she managed to get and editor for it and everything, despite having no training or previous publications. I am pretty jealous of her, I must say.

OK, I have a dilemma, I know I am not going to get any sympathy here, but maybe I am not the only one trying to juggle contracts and shrt-term positions while waiting for a real full-time job to turn up. I am in the middle of working on a government contract and a full time summer job, and it turns out I did actually get the intership I interviewed for last week. I have no idea why. But anyways, I am deciding whether to accept it. I will have to leave my full time job a few weeks early to start the internship (which pays far less, but will give me steady work until January.) I have a good chance at a government contract in the fall that I would have to work on evenings and weekends. and I am teaching a single course at the university starting in January, which would overlap with the last 3 weeks of the internship.

If I accept the internship, I think I might burn out pretty badly by the time its all over. But it would be awesome experience, and I met the people I would be working with in the interview and they are pretty great. It is somewhere I want to get my name recognized because it would be a good place to work. However, the government contract is even more important for those reasons, I already know they really like me there and there are some high paying jobs that may come up, oh, say 10 years from now when everyone finally retires. Another factor is that my summer job pays really well and gives me the chance to be in charge of my own projects, it's unpredictable but could extend past the end of the summer if more work comes up. If I take the internship I would be losing out on that chance. Right now though, I barely have enough work on it to keep me going!

I've already been unemployed for 4 months out of the last year, and I am so much in fear of being unemployed again this fall. The govt contract would only be for a few weeks or a month at most. And I'm only teaching one course in Jauary, which does not a full time income make, not even close. Financially, I still could get by without this internship, and keep my sanity, but obviously I really want to take it. Do you think it's possible to juggle this many commitments at once?
epinephrine
Well, I'm back in job hunting hell again. I got fired from my job today for being too slow. It's not a big deal, I really hated the job from day one and I didn't really try. I would have left if I didn't hate job hunting even more. It wasn't completely my fault, though - I really don't feel like they told me what they expected of me. I was expected to do a lot and to do it all in a certain order, but nobody ever told me anything. The first few days I was being trained the boss was out and there was nobody there who really knew what I was supposed to be doing, and everyone was telling me different things and I kind of had to just figure it out for myself. When the boss got back, he assumed I'd been properly trained and didn't fill me in on anything else. People started coming in to help me, but when I asked them if they were just coming in to help because I wasn't doing enough they all told me that wasn't the case. Seriously, I asked 3 different people on several occasions. Then I get told that I'm getting too much help and I can't do my job properly. And my boss always horribly condescending, even about the most mundane remarks. I hated him. Ugh. Whatever. Hopefully I come up with something better this time.

God, I hate looking for a job. What a fucking pain in the ass.
candycane_girl
Blahhhhh, I'm applying for 8 different work study positions around campus. That means 8 different cover letters. The worst is that some of the positions are very similar but I feel like I should still make up a different cover letter for them. I hate writing cover letters so much. I feel like I'm no good at selling myself which is ironic because I have a diploma in advertising.
anna k
I hate it too, ccgirl. I keep re-writing cover letters, but always worry that I made some mistake and will get passed over, or haven't accomplished enough tasks to sound great enough. I try to play up my strengths and interests, and play to whatever business I'm really interested in working for, but it can be frustrating and I get annoyed and hard on myself.

While I do have a job, I need one that is better-paying and if it has health benefits, great.
candycane_girl
Arghhhhh! For the one job that I really really wanted they already gave someone a conditional offer. What I don't understand is why they post the jobs before we can even fill out the work study application to see if we are eligible to work at school (they deny it if your tuition and book fees aren't high enough).
anna k
deleted.
candycane_girl
Ugh, I'm feeling like a big fat failure. Just got a rejection letter about one of the jobs I interviewed for. And the interview I had yesterday for another job didn't go so well. One of the questions was about how the feminist group could have a campaign in conjunction with the drop fees campaign. How the hell am I supposed to relate women's rights to student debt?!
sassygrrl
((ccg))) I hate weird questions on interviews.

I'm in the running for a peer/grant reviewer for Americorps. However, I still don't know if it's paid. I've been unemployed for over a year now, and I'm getting sick of volunteering. Yes, it's helping me get out of the house. I'm happy about that. I'm just sick of not working. I can't even find part-time work!! May I get vibes? I have a deadline of Sept 14th, and then I'll probably know by the end of the month.
candycane_girl
Well, in a funny twist of fate, after what having what I thought was my worst interview ever I was offered the job! They called me today and I start filling out paperwork on Tuesday!
sassygrrl
Awesome!
sassygrrl
jobbie interviewy vibes for tomorrow afternoon if anyone can give them!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.