Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: why can't I just stay unemployed? the job hunting hell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Working Grrls
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
anna k
Good luck sassygrrl!!!
sassygrrl
I have second interview tomorrow!
It was a phone interview, and I forgot to ask them many questions. However, I must have done well.
It's with Americorps, but thru a school for a development assistant job. I'd be working with the development director.
I also got a part-time job for a peer/grant reviewer position as well.

I hope I get the job. I need to get the heck out of the house. It's not a lot of money, but I'd get an educational reward at the end of the year.

sassygrrl
I have second interview tomorrow!
It was a phone interview, and I forgot to ask them many questions. However, I must have done well.
It's with Americorps, but thru a school for a development assistant job. I'd be working with the development director.
I also got a part-time job for a peer/grant reviewer position as well.

I hope I get the job. I need to get the heck out of the house. It's not a lot of money, but I'd get an educational reward at the end of the year.

sassygrrl
Dude... I don't get the point of another interview (that lasted only 8 minutes) where a different woman asks the exact same questions as the woman yesterday. WTF????I hope I did well. I did ask her questions which I think freaked her out a little. But they were pertaining to the job. It wasn't the best day for interview considering today we have to put doggy in hospital.

Ergh.
sassygrrl
Crap, I killed the thread?
sassygrrl
Fuck. Didn't get the job.
anna k
((((sassygrrl))) I'm sorry.

I had a job interview yesterday for a temp position with a major book publisher. I felt really confident, and felt professional and relaxed during the interview, but now I'm worried that I didn't make enough eye contact. I did while speaking, but would sometimes look down to gather my thoughts while speaking, and I'm nervous that it ruined my chances. They really liked my resume and background and enthusiasm, but I'm feeling like I did something wrong and wouldn't get it. And even though it's a temp job, it pays a lot more than my current job and would give me more access into the industry I want to be in, plus I'd get health benefits from the temp agency, but I would hate to be unemployed afterwards and feel like I screwed myself.
strgtgrlwrkpos
anna k: sounds like it went well overall. Don't stress over every detail, it's done now and you'll know soon enough. I stress over every detail too and know it's hard not to do, but try not to smile.gif
sassygrrl
annak, I second strgtrlwkpos. It seemed you did well, now comes the waiting... which I always feel is the worst part.

I'm over feeling sad. I just seemed to get really excited over a job that didn't happen. The fact is is that I need money. I don't want to keep relaying on Mcgeek for $. Yet, I don't want to go back to a shitty Mcjob either. Ergh!!!
strgtgrlwrkpos
sassygrrl: have you applied to any other jobs? I really do wish I could just stay unemployed...
anna k
I got a call back for a second interview. The agency hasn't set up the interview yet, so I don't know when it is. I'm nervous and excited, and hoping that if I get it, I can work the temp job and do my part-time job on the weekends, since I've been there for nearly two years.

(((sassy)))) searching for good jobs and trying to get them is really frustrating and annoying.
sassygrrl
QUOTE(anna k @ Oct 2 2009, 03:08 AM) *
I got a call back for a second interview. The agency hasn't set up the interview yet, so I don't know when it is. I'm nervous and excited, and hoping that if I get it, I can work the temp job and do my part-time job on the weekends, since I've been there for nearly two years.

(((sassy)))) searching for good jobs and trying to get them is really frustrating and annoying.

Hey everyone, I've been searching for jobs. But no so luck yet.I'm looking for part time work right now.
kari
Good luck sassygirl! Any new leads?

Anna, did you have the second interview yet?

I'm currently employed, but thought I'd pop in here b/c I am looking for a new job. And I hate it. I know I'm fortunate to be employed, I'm very thankful about that. It's just that job hunting makes one feel so inadequate. Ugh.

My main problem is finding appropriate job leads. Right now I work for an agency that's kind of isolated. I don't really come into contact with people from other organizations, so it's hard to network. Which is what I know I need to be doing. I do have 2 informational interviews set up for this month though. One is a person a friend of mine introduced me to, and the other is someone I encountered at a conference. I called her, she was very nice & willing to meet with me. I am hoping they can give me some advice.

blink.gif

faerietails
((sassy)) I know how it is. I looked for part time work around here for months with no lead.

I got 2 calls Friday that completely blew my mind. 1 was a job offer for a part time tutoring position at a local college. The other was for a job interview for a full time position in that same school's library. I think there's a pretty good chance I can get it. And if I do? It'll be my first full time job ever.

I taught at a college up in NY last year, but it was adjunct work, and though I loved it, I still had to work 2 other jobs too just to pay my bills and rent (which is why I kind of disappeared off the face of the lounge). I got my MA two years ago, and my BA 4 years ago, but I've never been able to find a full time job. I sent out hundreds of resumes, but I'd either get ignored, or they'd call and say I was overqualified (for stuff like secretary work). It's insanity. So hopefully, I can get this job. If not, I am so so screwed.

In the meantime, I've since moved back home and now reside on my parents' couch. I hate living this way.
kari
~~~~~vibes for faerie!~~~~~~ That's very exciting! I will be crossing my fingers for you. When do you interview for the FT job?

I had the first informational interview yesterday. It went well, got lots of information. Trying to keep my confidence up right now.
strgtgrlwrkpos
anna k: that's great! Hope they go well.

sassygrrl: I'm applying to all types of stuff too. It is so dire! sad.gif Wish I could just find a job much easier instead of putting all this effort in.. Even after the effort I don't know how it's going to be. The economy is so tough right now.

faerietails: congrats! Hope it goes well.

kari: do you rely on networking a lot? What industry is it in?

Btw has this forum been streamlined lately?? Returned after a long absence and it looks that way. Also I def have posted in the past but I guess those posts have been wiped with the streamlining..
kari
welcome back, strgt! Yes, they did do some work on the site. It's been a while back. I think it is better than it used to be.

As far as networking - I feel like in the past I haven't used it enough. I am convinced that's the best way to find positions though. I'm trying to switch from legislative/policy analysis to HR.
angie_21
Hey everyone, I'm popping in to say hi. I was here last spring while unemployed for 2 months and looking for work. So far only contracts have come up, but they've been fun, at least!

What happened with your interviews Anna? Kari, I agree networking is huge. If I didn't know people in my field, I wouldn't have have worked a single hour in the last year. Only one of my contracts came through "official" channels (sending in a resume through Young Canada Works for an internship), but even with that job, I knew about it through a friend who used to work there and she gave me the inside story. The rest of my contracts came from sending a few emails letting my friends and professors know I was looking for work, and then people would call me up out of the blue saying, "X told me you're pretty good, want to do this work for us?"

Faerie, I've also never had a full-time job with benefits. I know it sucks not having that security, but you know, I am thankful for having that much more control over my time and not feeling like I'm trapped into doing the exact same job my whole life.

*good luck vibes to everyone* I know you are all so smart and capable, you will find something!

I've been successfully employed since mid-April, but January is the end of my current contract, and so far no luck applying for anything new. I'll be working 1/3 hours at 1/2 my current rate of pay teaching a sessional class from January-April, and then I don't know what. I think I'll have to waitress to supplement the teaching income, if I can even get a job doing that! No one is hiring in alberta right now, the government and all the major employers have had a hiring freeze since last winter. Last year I applied at a temp agency, and they said I was awesome and should get at least a few hours a week... never got a single call.
anna k
The second interview went great last week! The guy liked my background, and saw that I had written for Venus, and said he really liked that magazine (brownie points!) I noted how working with the different departments gives more room for cross-training, and he agreed. I got on nicely with him, and since there are three positions available, it feels better than if there were only one. I'm waiting this week to hear back from the agency, but I really want this job.

I'm also doing some freelance work as a film writer, and tomorrow am interviewing a director of a new indie film. I got all the press info from the PR firm, and will read it all and write up questions, but I'm nervous, since I haven't seen the film (I wasn't able to go to the advance screening). I love doing this work, meeting people, and feeling more in a small circle, plus happy that people like my writing and send me more work to do. It's great for networking and building connections with people.

Kari, I think what you're doing is so brave and new and exciting, and I wish you a lot of good vibes in looking for better opportunities in HR.

Angie, I've never had a full-time job with benefits, either. That would be a dream.
anna k
I didn't get the job. I'm pretty dissapointed about it, because it would have been great for career advancement and money and would have helped me out so much. I'm doing a lot of creative work, but a lot of it is unpaid or low-paying, and I had felt so confident with these interviews, like I would get on well there. I was told by the agency that they went with other candidates, it's hard not to second-guess myself when I felt like I did so well. I will try to move on and not be so hard on myself, but it's hard.
strgtgrlwrkpos
(((((anna k))))) You really have to be resilient in this market. Been checking out in HR advice and it seems even when you are the perfect fit for the role it's still difficult. The people who got the job you were going for probably had a Phd and had 10 yrs experience or smthng.

kari: Yes, I'm hearing more and more networking is the thing to do. Recruitment consultants aren't helping me at all at moment!! hope the transition goes well for you, best wishes w it.

angie_21: seems you're doing better than some of us. smile.gif At least you're tided through the Xmas period which is a dead time for getting a new job in my experience

angie_21
anna_k, don't get discouraged! The same thing happened to me all last year, over and over. It's just that things are soooo competitive right now. The advice I've always read is to always keep trying, because if you look great in an interview, you never know what they might keep you in mind for.

I don't know where I will be going after this. I heard my boss last week talking to someone about how hard they were looking for funding for the future with no success.. so there goes my chace at any more internships there! The Alberta government has cut off all contract positions indefinitely, which had been my previous niche. Must start school applications...
kari
((((anna k)))) I know how badly that stings. Hang in there. I agree w/ Angie. If you made a good impression (which I am sure you did!) you never know when something else might turn up with them. I know people who interviewed, didn't get the job, but then later got a call from the company about a different job.

Job hunting blows. That is all.
kari
Applied for a job. Will let you know what (if anything dry.gif ) happens.
sassygrrl
Me too. Cross parts.
Still researching school though.
sassygrrl
Sorry, Bust was being whack.

Me too. Cross parts.
Still researching school though.
kari
Fingers crossed for you too sassy!!!
sassygrrl
Thanks kari! For some reason I'm seeing a lot of jobs that are outside the perimeter. Rats!

How is everyone doing?
kari
Outside the perimeter geographically, Sassy? Or skill set- wise?

I had a good informational meeting yesterday. The person said they will help me revamp my resume for the field & will also introduce me to other contacts. woo!
anna k
That's great, Kari! Good luck!

I get fed up with trying to find good work, just sending out resumes and cover letters, no matter how great I make it, it feels like it doesn't get seen amongst tons of other applicants. I've had decent interviews for jobs, but haven't lucked into anything great. It can feel very disappointing and scary to think that I can't get my dream work. I have my PT job, and freelance writing, but I want a serious career in publishing, even though the industry is being changed up a lot now. I try to comfort myself by knowing that tons of people in publishing have been laid off now, but it still worries me to not have my dream career going, and I've been trying hard for it.
sassygrrl
Kari, how did it go? There are a ton of jobs outside the perimeter. I don't drive so it's difficult.
I'm not even finding part time work. I'm considering seasonal work and temp jobs just to get some money.
anna k
(((sassygrrrl) I hope you can find some decent temp or seasonal work soon.

I re-wrote a cover letter for an editorial job, after a buddy showed me what I had written wrong in previous editorial letters. I hate re-writing letters and feeling like I keep making these dumbass faux pas even if I look at cover letter tips to write one better.

I may have an interview for a well-paying receptionist job, I heard about it through a family contact. It sounds very promising, I hope that my resume pasts muster and that I get an interview.
kari
Anna, Ugh, I know. I feel like all my resumes & letters just disappear & nobody ever sees them. It stinks. BUT! I think you're right - now is one of the worst times ever to be a job hunter. I try to remind myself of that fact.

I think your family friend contact is the ticket. Gotta have a way to stand out & knowing someone is the best way to do that.

I just revised my resume yesterday and sent it to the informational interview person. She wrote me back & said she'll take a look at anything that could be improved & that she could send it to some of her colleagues next week. SUPER SWEET!

Sassy - I just did an interview yesterday for PT seasonal employment. I hope I get it. If you are considering doing it, you should act fast b/c I think they are all beginning the interviews & hiring right now.
anna k
Well, I had contacted that family friend again about that interview, but she never heard back from them, so I think they just passed on my resume. It was just a receptionist job, but would have paid more than my current job.

I wrote follow-up emails today on some jobs I applied for two weeks ago, and got a response from one, telling me they were still going through resumes. I also have a couple of contacts at a film museum where I'd like to work, and wrote one email to one person last week, and wrote one today to another person today. I also wrote an acquaintance of mine who is a book editor about if there were editorial opportunities at her publisher, and to keep me in mind if anything comes up.

I hate doing all this self-promoting and hustling. I'm also going to a film screening for a small indie film this week to write about it and possibly interview the director, and just sent off some questions to a director for a small film I saw last week and am going to write about. I also have to get business cards made.
sassygrrl
I applied for a UPS pt job today, as well as this really cool indie bookstore about 20 minutes from home. I have no idea on either job. I also signed up for some freelancing sites as well. I just need some part time work for Christmas.

I'm also following up on some jobs a few weeks ago, but I think people are just drowning in everyone's cover letters and resumes. I hate that the disappear though!

Good luck everyone!

sassygrrl
FUCK. Didn't get the book seller job.... sad.gif
kari
(((sassy))) I'm sorry to hear about the book store job. sad.gif

((anna)) Ugh. Frustrating. I think it is wonderful that you are doing so much writing! This will definitely help you in the future. Keep it up!
coffeebean
(((sassy))) Sorry to hear about the job. I know that it would have helped in many domains of your life right now.

(((anna))) Good for you for still getting out there and doing what you love - even if it does involve the self-promoting part that can be annoying and frustrating.
spot-on
So, I requalified as a personal trainer/fitness instructor and can't find a job sad.gif I applied at macys to work over the holidays and they contacted me yesterday left a message saying I can work on the jewelery counter in the evenings. I don't want evenings! Urgh. I talked it over with the man last night and he said not to take it, instead concentrate on what I want to do longterm and aim for that instead. I need to sit down and make a plan and maybe branch out on my own with personal training for the new year. That gives me 4 weeks to make a business plan, print ads, get business cards done etc. I also want to study more. Sitting down last night and just talking it over with my man really helped, he's inspired me NOT to settle for anything less than my passion (fitness). So I'm not.
sassygrrl
QUOTE(spot-on @ Dec 2 2009, 03:56 PM) *
So, I requalified as a personal trainer/fitness instructor and can't find a job sad.gif I applied at macys to work over the holidays and they contacted me yesterday left a message saying I can work on the jewelery counter in the evenings. I don't want evenings! Urgh. I talked it over with the man last night and he said not to take it, instead concentrate on what I want to do longterm and aim for that instead. I need to sit down and make a plan and maybe branch out on my own with personal training for the new year. That gives me 4 weeks to make a business plan, print ads, get business cards done etc. I also want to study more. Sitting down last night and just talking it over with my man really helped, he's inspired me NOT to settle for anything less than my passion (fitness). So I'm not.

Spot-on, good for talking with your man. I did that too the other night. Mcgeek told me to just keep focusing on the library jobs (as spare as they are right now) and something I enjoyed. I also forgot that I'm planning a wedding, and should probably focus more on that right now. I just miss having money. I heard back from a few of the jobs I applied for, and it was all rejection letters. I hate that!!

anna k
((((sassy)))))

I did get a response from someone at the film museum, but they're not hiring. They said to check back in a few months since they are planning to expand their facility, and there may be opportunities. It sounds promising, but I still want to keep in touch with them.

I also applied for a job that looked great, an assistant to the director of a film organization. It felt perfect for me, and I really want it.

Spot-on, I'm glad your husband supports you so much, and doesn't want to to just settle for anything, you have a lot of talent and intelligence and personality.

I ordered business cards on Monday, marketing myself as a "freelance film critic." The cards are nice, and since I've been going to more screenings lately, it'll be a lot of help with networking.

The book editor said she would keep me in mind, and also to contact human resources at her job. I will do that, and can use her name as a referral, so it feels more personal.
spot-on
thanks Sassy & Anna, really happy with the decision and feel like it's the right one so that always helps.

Anna, that job sounds perfect for you! Fingers and everything crossed for you.

I need to make a business plan, decide on a name for the business then get some cards done and get a website up. So much to do. It's like starting over!
sassygrrl
QUOTE(spot-on @ Dec 3 2009, 05:26 AM) *
thanks Sassy & Anna, really happy with the decision and feel like it's the right one so that always helps.

Anna, that job sounds perfect for you! Fingers and everything crossed for you.

I need to make a business plan, decide on a name for the business then get some cards done and get a website up. So much to do. It's like starting over!

Spot-on, so good for you!

I found a really good circulation clerk at a local collge, but it would be 2 hours away. It sucks I don't drive. I'm still debating about applying. I wouldn't need a MLS, and that would be a plus.

Anna, parts crossed!

girl_logic
Hi, I got this in my email and thought some might be interested around here - I shrank it so as not to take up all the space. If anyone wants the original, PM me your email addy I'll forward it to you:

A Job Opening! At Bitch!

Job Title: Art Director

Job Purpose:
The Art Director is responsible for creating and maintaining a cohesive look and feel for the Bitch Media brand, which includes the magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture, as well as a growing series of multimedia projects and programs. The ideal candidate is an innovative designer with an interest in pop culture and the desire to work with a nonprofit multimedia organization that values good design and a sense of wit. The Art Director reports to Bitch Media’s Executive Director.

Job Responsibilities:

* Design and lay out each issue of Bitch magazine and guide it through the prepress process.
* Design and lay out all development materials (fundraising appeals, event posters, annual reports, interoffice forms, etc.)
* Collaborate closely with editorial/creative director in the development of art concepts for each issue of the magazine.
* Acquire all art for magazine from freelance illustrators and photographers, and work with photographers on creating and executing magazine covers.
* Design all advertising and sponsorship materials
* Design all graphics for merchandise
* Oversee the overall look and feel of the Bitch media website
* Archive all digital graphic files
* Oversee design interns and volunteers
* Attend weekly staff meeting (Tuesdays) and content meeting (Wednesdays)

Minimum Qualifications:
The Art Director should have at least a BA in graphic design or similar field (art, architecture, etc...), or the equivalent experience. Candidates will also have excellent verbal communication and collaboration skills, and a strong eye for/attention to detail. Experience with multiple-page document design, prepress, and two- and four-color printing is critical.

Design Skills:
Candidates for the position will have demonstrated skill in typography, magazine layout, two-color design, illustration and cover concepting, basic photography, and an understanding of editorial/design relationship.

Software:
Candidates should be fluent in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop (Mac platform). Bonus points for being skilled in (or at least on familiar terms with) HTML, CSS, and Drupal.

General Skills:
We’re looking for someone who’s very organized, highly motivated, able to see the big picture of a unified graphic identity, good at managing others, and able to work and communicate well with editors as well as other employees who will be ‘commissioning’ design work for the organization.

Preferred, but not required:
A connection to feminism and a love of pop culture help immensely. (These are obviously broad concepts and can mean different things to different people, but a general interest in and concern about women in pop culture and society in general makes for a person who will care about the organization and its programs and content all the more.) And a sense of humor and good writing skills are both highly prized.

Schedule:
Part-time. 20-30 hours/week, plus quarterly full-time production hours (right before release of issue to the printer).

To Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and at least five samples of work, in hard copy, to:

Bitch Media
Attn: Executive Director
4930 NE 29th Avenue
Portland, OR 97211

Application packets must be postmarked by February 1, 2010.
PLEASE NOTE: Electronically submitted applications will not be reviewed.

**NO E-MAILS, PHONE CALLS OR DROP-INS PLEASE**

enfermera
i've officially decided i need to move on from my job. like, badly. so, of course, all the job openings i was seeing six months ago, when i was just toying with the idea, are gone. and frankly, i've heard some rumors that the changes coming with the health care reform (i'm a nurse) are going to make us even more regulated and penalized for every facial twitch or whatever makes admin nervous, and i'm wondering if i should start looking into moving on all together. i have a hard time with bureaucratic bullshit. so, i guess i'm just asking for vibes, or prayers, or both, whatever your style is. SOMEDAY i have to find a job i actually like, right?
kittenb
I just made my first-ever unemployment claim. I don't know if I qualify as my last job was a temp assignment but I figured there was no harm in trying. I can't imagine what it would be like to have no income coming in. School's over so I have no financial aid. I don't know what to expect. My job search is sloooooooow. No one is even returning my calls. Sigh, fingers crossed that this will all turn around soon.
pollystyrene
Mmm, spammy.

Reported!
kittenb
Amusingly, I get a call for an interview the day before I got my first unemployment payment. I'm interviewing for a counseling/case management postion working with people who are transitioning back into the world after being in prison. I don't know much about the position other than that but it seems really interesting. A friend who used to volunteer where I worked really seems to have promoted me to her boss. Yay for that! biggrin.gif
DistrictLady
I was (f)unemployed for 8 months so I feel you.
I tried to glamorize it and told myself that being caught up on Ellen and wearing PJs for days on end was actually fun.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone on here. I was so relieved when I finally got a job. and a job I love at that! I'm doing some work for Sunglass Hut and they have this fab new opportunity that might just be up someone's alley here. They're basically looking for a full-time fashion blogger to cover events and shows.
The perks that come with the job are seriously amazing - an apartment in NYC, monthly clothes budget, the chance to travel all over the world, and $100K.
I know it's not for everyone and I have my qualms with the fashion industry but if it's right for you, by all means APPLY!
Good luck
girltrouble
so... if i'm not mistaken i'm coming up on 2 years unemployed.

it's fucking weird.

i've been working for free half that time, but two f'ing years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.