Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The BUST Community Forum
The BUST Lounge > From the Top > Ladies Who Lounge
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60
culturehandy
GT, I couldn't agree with you more.

It is this lack of caring that makes me want to drop off the board. All of our legitimate concerns are clearly falling on deaf ears. If it were for us, there would be no BUST. Boards, magazine, or otherwise.

I still stand behind the idea that LL would have the only ability to delete user profiles, but as for posts, why can't we do it? If there was an abuse of power by those deleting posts, well, LL could delete that profile.

I understand that LL is busy. I really do. It's not like moderating the boards are all that she does. This is precisely why there has to be other moderators. I remember, a long time ago, on chickclick, that some users were mods, and things were really great there. Not that things are not great here, but how much longer are we gong to have to deal with a nutsy fundamentalist, mysogynist christian who posts doctored photo's of aborted fetuses and uses images of fellow busties in his avatar, nex time? It seems that every time we have to report more and more and do more and wait longer and longer until any action is taken.
faerietails2
okay, so what do we want to address with this poll? i think bunny covered most of the main points:
  • do we need mods?
  • would these mods be for the delicate topics or across the board?
  • do we want to change the minimum posts required to make a new thread?
  • (i'd like to add some ranges as another question. what are we talkin here? 20-25 posts? at least 50?)
  • get rid of avatar if user is on ignore, if possible
  • not receiving/having to approve comments from ignored user, if possible
anything else? i'm just so fucking tired of this bs, and with the fact that some of the posts are still 100% visible. and he fucking does it to silence me, that's what's so annoying. he had some other avatar, then as soon as i posted the ignore instructions for the newbies, he switched to that other fucking avatar. after that, i could be minding my own damn business, but as soon as he sees me post something, he'll post his damn bullshit anywhere i go. and i can't say one damn thing about it on the boards, or it'll just egg him on. why should any of us have to deal with that kind of crap for several days straight?!
turbojenn
You know, I find the trolls as frustrating as anyone, but I still come down on the side of no mods...I've been a part of too many online communities that self-destruct when volunteer mods take the reigns. I've managed forums professionally for a few years for my job, and found having staff manning the forum pruning to be the best management plan...to apply guidelines evenly, as well as to protect the orgs I work for from a legal liability angle. BUST has a mostly hands-off approach here, and I appreciate that, for the most part, and the ignore function works well enough for me to keep spending time here.

I do think that a poll would be interesting, though.
pepper
*confused*

why can i see those gory pics all of a sudden? what the fuck.
lilacwine13
I'm wondering the same thing, pepper. I put him on ignore twice, yet I can still see some of his posts. I have a strong stomach, but damn, "fake, photo-shopped gore" isn't my favorite photography subject.

I thought the Lounge blocked the asshat's account years ago, but maybe he got a new one, or else the block was removed when they switched over to the new boards. It needs to be blocked again, though. I'm getting sick of this shit, and while I'm not sure if mods are the answer (I really don't have an opinion about that), I do think that blocking avatars when necessary and upping the number of posts a newbie has to make before starting a thread are both good ideas.
yuefie
Why not take a few moments to correct the issues and keep your regular board members happy and here? You know, because without US, there is no BUST LOUNGE. Or the alternative is to allow this fundamentalist whackjob to continue his sick crusade and begin to lose members, some long time members, who are growing increasingly frustrated at having their pleas ignored.

Something has got to give.
bunnyb
turbo, I'd be interested in hearing more about the self-destruction of the other moderated boards so we know what we're dealing with before we change (if we can) the way the board operates. I think a poll would allow us to look at and iron out any issues or see that there is too much opposition to the idea for mods to work; in which case we look at other issues that would make the lounge a far easier place to post in.

My idea for mods is that we vote for 3-4 level-headed BUSTies with a long history of posting who would be dedicated to making the lounge troll-free. I'm thinking raisingirl, culturehandy, faerietales and kittenb, if they were amenable although that would obviously have to be up for discussion too.

Anyway, we need to see how many of us support these ideas, first of all, and the opinions of those who don't so we can consider the disadvantages. Even if it's a resounding yes, who knows whether LL will do anything? she hasn't taken on board our suggestions since the new format of the lounge and has been staunchly opposed to raising the post limit before thread starting (because posting so much herself she knows how frustrating that is). I have PM'd her but not replied, as yet; nor has she corrected the almighty mess she made by displaying steve's vile shit and now longstanding BUSTies are taking a time out from the lounge because they are so sickened by it.

So, shall we go ahead with creating a poll? I think faeritales has covered everything, unless there are any more suggestions?
culturehandy
Bunny, I think that a poll is a good idea.

sukouyant
Hi I think a poll would be a good idea too, and I'm behind giving mod powers to several posters, with a thread of their own to discuss banning and deletion issues.

Someone once posted here about how speedily busties sometimes label people as trolls when the poster is new here or comes off as abrasive. That's my only concern. I'd like to see mods concentrate only on the most obviously disruptive trolling and leave the regular moderation to bust-posters as a whole in the socratic way it's usually done. I've seen supposed trolls find their niches in the lounge before, and become beloved posters.

I have a question- I didn't ban SW soon enough so I'm still seeing photoshop abortions and boring bible quotes where they haven't been deleted. I can't seem to put him on ignore since he's no longer a user. Is there another way once he's been banned?
pollystyrene
I banned him from day one, sukouyant; it has nothing to do with when you banned him, it's that some of his posts were deleted, some weren't mad.gif and then his status was changed to guest, so he can't be ignored. LL needs to delete all of his posts for them to disappear.

I think the poll idea is good, and I think faerie's questions are good.

Re: newbies getting tagged early on as trolls: I think that everyone here knows the difference between the run-of-the-mill trolls and steve, and I think that if the right people were chosen to be mods it wouldn't be an issue. And yes, I fully admit to being someone who's pounced on a troll early on...so far, I don't think I've been wrong when calling someone out (um, kickitckickitkickit as an example?)

I don't know if you suggested it here or in another thread, culture, but I think having to approve any new threads is where I'd draw the line. If the mods were given the ability to delete posts as well as entire threads, that would be enough to get rid of any *really* offensive threads (i.e., anything started by steve)....yeah, it's annoying when a newbie starts a thread for some TV show/band/book/movie that is just superfluous, but I usually wouldn't call it offensive. There's been plenty of great threads started by established Busties spontaneously that may not have gotten started if they had to deal with the hassle of putting it through committee. Superfluous threads float to the bottom (unless it's a particularly persistent troll *cough*psychicfemme*cough*) and then they're no longer a problem....rampant, offensive, space-wasting posts/threads that attack specific people like steve's are a different story.
kittenb
I support the idea of a poll and I like the questions that you listed.

And, bunnyb, wow! Thank you so much. I feel really complimented. biggrin.gif
culturehandy
Polly, I agree. When I said approval for threads, I was just pissed that nothing was being done around here.

Le Sigh.

I wonder what the point of discussing is going to be anyway. Honestly, I don't think shit fuck all is going to come out of this.
pollystyrene
I also agree with who was suggested to be mods....if the decision passes, maybe there should be some kind of election so that everyone knows it's fair?
pixiedust
I really think there needs to be some kind of safeguards in place for our protection. Steve and others should not be able to single out specific busties and attack and stalk them the way he does. I don't understand why LL doesn't ban his IP address. I haven't posted regularly on here in over a year because of the abuse and attacks we are subject to from trolls, irl stalkers, and general board upheavals. It's just not worth it. The only reason I stick around here at all is for the great friendships I have with some Busties. The lounge just isn't a very fun place to be anymore.
culturehandy
Pixie, I can certainly agree with you about this. It's sad that you think it isn't that fun ehre anymore.

I wonder if the powers that be are reading this. and more importantly, if they really care.
mornington
I agree with the points... I can certainly agree that there should be more than one mod, but only delete the *really* obnoxious posts - as tbh, while we can deal with the odd nasty troll, it's just steve and his photoshop that gets us (and no-one should ever have to look at that. ever). That said, I'd really like to hear more from turbo, as the voice of experience is always good (maybe qspice could weigh in too?).

I'd also maybe suggest a time limit on the poll - say leave it up for two weeks (as I recon everyone at least reads the boards within that time, even if they just lurk) so it doesn't get into a long, drawn-out wrangle. Maybe two or three different polls - say "should we have mods", followed by "what powers" and then "how many/who?" once we know what we want.

and yes, could we ban his ip address? permanently?
faerietails2
I think his IP *was* banned permanently, but there are easy ways to hide/change your IP. All the more reason we need mods (and stay on top of banning his IP every time).

I agree with morn that there needs to be a time limit, but 2 weeks sounds kinda drawn out to me?

EDIT: hehe, nice title, bunny!
bunnyb
um, I went ahead and started it unsure.gif .
faerietails2
i like it. smile.gif
mornington
yay bunny, I like it!

(I know, I was late to the discussion)
candycane_girl
I don't know if anyone can answer this but why is it that after putting all of scaryworld's posts on ignore suddenly I'm seeing them again?
culturehandy
candycane, it's because his account was deleted before the posts were.
bunnyb
candycane, LL deleted his profile and then deleted his posts but not all of them. As the user no longer exists we no longer have him on ignore so we have to view his posts and there's no way to report them because he's no longer a user!
turbojenn
*pants, trying to keep up with thread*

Boy, do I miss hanging out here during the day - all this wonderful discussion going on, and I'm stuck catching up at night! *pouts*

Qspice can definitely speak to online blowups more than anyone, but I'll also say that her board is not only HUGE, but the most well-modded forum I have ever been a part of. Mods there are both level-headed, and extraordinarily equal in their application of board guidelines. So, there's your best-case scenario.

In my other experiences, on other boards, I've seen mods throw their weight around, make life difficult for members they do not enjoy interacting with, wildly erratic enforcement of board guidelines. In my own modding experience at my last job - there were a lot of hurt feelings among the active members when a volunteer mod flounced around and really exhibited hurtful and vindictive deletions of members they disliked. Hence, all volunteer mods were revoked, and I had to manage the board solo - which royally sucked. So there's that.

I'm not saying that would happen here, I think the community of long-time posters would likely hang together and keep the community as vibrant and interesting as its ever been, so I guess I'm fine with whatever unfolds....just sort of doubting that the PTB at Bust will actually DO anything. I appreciate their hands-offness on the board, but maintenance as well as evolution is needed.
pepper
i'm sorry, what? qspice has a board? what is it for? *lost*
pepper
*setting ray gun to "ignore"*

key words Sustain Us

raisingirl
Quantum has a BPAL forum.
LoveMyPugs
*sigh*

so sick of these fucking trolls. ignored

pepper
i have no idea what bpal means. what is that?
sixelacat
BPAL = Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab.
turbojenn
pepper, if you need to be introduced to bpal, you just say the word, and pm me your address. First hit is always free 'round here. Its all tes' fault that I have quite the bpal habit. wink.gif
pepper
oh, those guys. i usually just blend my own scented oils, are they really that good?
pepper
dcg123 added to the ignore list.

hey, anyone know of an effective way to treat my kitty's eye goo? or get rid of her fleas? she's only wee, 5 weeks or so, and her sister is only 8 weeks so i can't use anything super powerful but i do NOT want a house full of fleas, yikes! i posted in the kitty thread but thought i might get more hits here.

thanks!
faerietails2
pepper, you could always lather them up with baby shampoo (get around the neck first, though, or else those little monsters will be all over kitty's face). use as little water as possible and keep it on there for a good while, and it suffocates the fleas to death.
LoveMyPugs
QUOTE(pepper @ Nov 12 2007, 07:18 PM) *
dcg123 added to the ignore list.
hey, anyone know of an effective way to treat my kitty's eye goo? or get rid of her fleas? she's only wee, 5 weeks or so, and her sister is only 8 weeks so i can't use anything super powerful but i do NOT want a house full of fleas, yikes! i posted in the kitty thread but thought i might get more hits here.

thanks!

pepper - my vet always told me to wash them in dawn original dish soap (the blue stuff) when they are that young. you will be shocked at how many fleas fall off of her. it's gross. just be very, very careful not to get it in her eyes. it's very gentle. they use it on animals who have been in oil spills. also the lady who owns the bra store where i shop tells me to wash my bras in it as well because it's good at breaking down body oil. it really cleans your bras but is still gentle on the fabric. just a suggestion.
hellotampon
I can't believe the Annoying Ads thread is gone! *cries* There are so many insulting commercials on lately. I wanted to bitch and moan about a few of them!
MsYuefie
hellotampon, it's still there, it was just hidden. I bumped it for ya.
pepper
thanks pugs. i'm off to get blue dawn! they are scratching like CRAZY! poor little buggers. i don't think their flea collars are doing much for them.
i read a bit about diatomacious earth for the furniture and carpets too, hopefully i can find some of that somewhere.
sixelacat
"Diatomacious" earth will help get rid of fleas that might already be in/on your couch or carpet already, but flea eggs can live for years. To really get rid of them you would need to use flea powder, but that may be to toxic for you (I know you prefer natural products). When my cousin adopted a kitten from the litter after whence my kitties came, we literally tweezed every flea from the kitten (small kitten, so a couple dozen over a smallish space) and then bathed her and put a bit of powder on her to kill eggs. By the time she ended up in my cousin's home, she was flea-free.

The only real way to get rid of fleas permanently is to use powder on all furniture/carpet and kill all adult fleas, because if they lay even a few eggs in some remote corner of the carpet they can propegate for generations in your house.
LoveMyPugs
QUOTE(pepper @ Nov 14 2007, 09:52 AM) *
thanks pugs. i'm off to get blue dawn! they are scratching like CRAZY! poor little buggers. i don't think their flea collars are doing much for them.
i read a bit about diatomacious earth for the furniture and carpets too, hopefully i can find some of that somewhere.

I used to have a cat and I got her when she was tiny, tiny, tiny. Vet said not to use any collars or powder on her cause she was too young. He said the blue dawn was the best bet. Gross how many of those little bastards were floating in the water after the bath. Wash your kitty very well around the butt area. Vet told me the fleas flee smile.gif there and to the face when they see the blue stuff coming.

As far as the flea dirt/eggs, I just did a very thorough vacuuming, changed and washed all the sheets and blankets. Fleas were a problem until she got older and I got her on a flea medication.

I seriously don't recommend using the Hartz Flea Prevention products you can buy at your local pet shop. I've heard of too many cats getting sick and dying from them. My mom put one on her cat and immediately the cat started loosing weight, throwing up and laying around sick like all the time. Once it was removed she got better quickly. You can find websites documenting cases where it has killed people's pets. Even the lady at my local pet shop tells people not to buy them.
pollystyrene
I agree Pugs- I would never use any Hartz products on any of my animals. Waaaay too many reports of bad stuff.

freckleface7
does anyone have an objection to me starting a 'What we/I am Thankful' type thread?
(not the exact name, I'm still thinking on that) bc we have the Wish thread, and the 'I did it!' thread and so on and so on, but I'd like a place to express my gratitude for percieved good both little and big.

if there is already a thread like that please let me know?

pepper
thanks for the info six & pugs. i'll use the earth for now and powder later on if need be. i bought collars that are supposed to be for kittens but i did look up a natural EO solution that i can make and soak a collar in. my mom's looking for the blue dawn in the states, can't find it here.

freckle, someone started a thread like that on another website i visit and i love it. it's a way more touchy feely site there but i think it would be good here too.
pollystyrene
QUOTE(pepper @ Nov 15 2007, 01:04 PM) *
thanks for the info six & pugs. i'll use the earth for now and powder later on if need be. i bought collars that are supposed to be for kittens but i did look up a natural EO solution that i can make and soak a collar in. my mom's looking for the blue dawn in the states, can't find it here.

freckle, someone started a thread like that on another website i visit and i love it. it's a way more touchy feely site there but i think it would be good here too.

This is what she's looking for, right? Just want to be sure....they don't have that in Canada? Well, forget my plans to emigrate! tongue.gif

I think a Thankful thread would be good, freckle.
raisingirl
Freckle, there's already a thread in Media Whores, More Little Pieces of Happiness.
freckleface7
thank you so much raisingirl, just reading through what's already posted really lifted me up this morning;
I love this place.
pepper
me too, i never go in there. glad i checked it out, thanks for asking freckle.
candycane_girl
Does anyone know what happened to the thread about dogs and puppies? I looked for it in Friends and Family and I couldn't find it. I posted a picture of my dog in Say Cheese but I figured it would probably be better in the doggie thread.
faerietails2
I bumped it for you. smile.gif
candycane_girl
thanks!

also, when we were having the troll problem what was that picture you kept posting with the "no wire hangers!" caption?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.