Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Been to a good concert lately? The live music thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Queen Bull
i saw the BEST local bluegrass band EVER this past saturday. im not a big bluegrass fan usually, but when played by hot twenty somethings and its AMAZING, then i just have to yield to the banjo. i cant remember the name for the life of me. ill ETA in a bit for anyone in the Northish GA area.
Christine Nectarine
QB, that sounds like fun. i've found that bluegrass is not something i want to listen to all the time, but can be a really good time live!
crazyoldcatlady
i second the live bluegrass thing. i was completely ignorant/indifferent to bluegrass, but i saw sam bush live and it rocked the house.
Queen Bull
totally true. more than me liking the music itself, i mean, it was good, but like you said CN, i dont turn on the radio wanting some bluegrass, i really liked the energy of the crowd and the band. everyone was having SO much fun. it was awesome.
thirtiesgirl
For good contemporary bluegrass, check out Jolie Holland (not an official video, but that's Jolie singing with the Chaplin pics) and the band with whom she used to perform, the Be Good Tanyas. I love them both.
sassygrrl
Saw Chris Issak last weekend. Oddly, in my old hometown. It's a very small outdoor venue. He was great. He also did a meet and greet at the end of the show. I got a t-shirt signed. Squee!! He's so damn hot wub.gif

I also saw Kathy Griffin. She was also so fucking funny.
Christine Nectarine
B-52's. At the Albright-Knox Gallery in Buffalo. We were there with Metric (the boy works for them) and I got to tag along as my birthday present! We stood backstage during their performance, and it was amazing! we had peeked at the set list before the show, and it looked all right, but they surprised us by adding "Party Out of Bounds", "Give Me Back My Man" and "Strobe Light", all from Wild Planet, which just happens to be my favourite of their albums.

to top it all off, we MET KATE PIERSON after the show, and she had a tour of the gallery with us, by the gallery director! i'm still buzzing from all this. she was so cute and sweet. there will be a smile on my face for weeks to come!
thirtiesgirl
I can't believe I forgot to post this, but I saw Nick Cave at the Warfield in SF two weekends ago with the long-distance guy. Nick was great, as usual. The new stuff really stood up well, and he played some old favorites (of mine, anyway), including Tupelo, Papa Won't Leave You Henry, the Mercy Seat, Deanna, and Red Right Hand. He forgot some of the words to the second verse on that one, which cracked me up, but that song's an oldie now, so it's bound to happen. Highlights of the show were Nick sitting down behind the piano for Into My Arms, coming back to encore with The Lyre of Orpheus (the call & response "oh mama's" were the best), Warren Ellis doing the madman's dance in his corner of the stage (particularly during We Call Upon the Author), and the long distance guy taking my hand between his two warm ones when they launched into the Ship Song. That's my idea of romance. *smitten*
angiepoo
Nick was amazing when I saw him last week in Seattle at the Showbox!
Was worried because we travelled for 15 hours to the get there but it was definitely worth it. Sadly none of my pictures turned out very well but will remember it always as being awesome!
mouse
going to go see beach house in a couple of hours EEEEEEEE!!!!!
thirtiesgirl
I am soooo jealous. I love Beach House. I can't go out tonight because I'm making a rare exception to go out tomorrow night to see My Bloody Valentine at the Santa Monica Civic Aud. Going out during the work week (particularly a busy, stressful one for me like this one) is a big no-no for me, but I'll make an exception for MBV. Who knows when we're going to see them together again?
auralpoison
OH oh oh oh! MBV! I am so jealous, Thirties! Have a great time! That's sooooo coooool!

And Beach House!

I have got to get out of this hick burg.
thirtiesgirl
The new MBV album is supposedly due out this year, too. I'm hoping they don't just play all new stuff tonight, though. I'd like to hear some old material that I know & recognize.... To Here Knows When... swoon....
mouse
well, dammit. beach house was sold out and we got there two hours early. who knew they got so popular??? but i'm not THAT bummed because TOMORROW I GET TO SEE DAVID BYRNE AND I ALREADY HAVE TICKETS WOOOOO
thirtiesgirl
That's a bummer, Mouse. And I always feel kind of sad when bands I like start getting really popular and then *everybody* knows about them. I don't know what it is, but they kind of lose a little of their specialness for me. But good for Beach House for drawing the fans.

MVB were SO FUCKING LOUD, louder than any band I've seen, I think, except maybe Curve. I don't remember MBV being so loud on their first tour of the US ('93 or '94...some time around then). But they played a smaller venue back then...the Roxy, if memory serves. They tore the roof off the Santa Monica Civic Aud, but it wasn't necessarily in a good way. I think they sacrificed a lot of nuance for the sake of noise, which didn't make me happy. ...Or maybe I'm just becoming an old lady and I can't take that damn noisy rock and roll music any more.

I will say this, though. Some of their songs stood up, even with all the noise. Towards the end of the show, they played 3 of my favorites back to back - the totally swoon-worthy To Here Knows When, Slow (one of *the* sexiest songs about oral sex, imho), and Glider. I was a happy camper. (And I'm sure you can see plenty of clips on youtube.)

Now I'm looking forward to Stereolab at the Henry Fonda at the end of this month, another band I haven't seen live in years. I'm counting on them to delight my ears with their quirky space age bachelor pad sound, rather than burn the hairs out of my cochlea.
auralpoison
Ho-lee crap, Thirties. I am so jealous. One of the first shows I saw when I moved to civilization was MBV. NOT FAIR, I WANT *MY* EARS TO BLEED! Did they play "Feed Me With Your Kiss"?
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Oct 4 2008, 09:30 AM) *
Ho-lee crap, Thirties. I am so jealous. One of the first shows I saw when I moved to civilization was MBV. NOT FAIR, I WANT *MY* EARS TO BLEED! Did they play "Feed Me With Your Kiss"?

Yes. They played it after Soon (which I mistakenly identified as Glider...since it's on the Glider ep). They didn't play anything new, but pulled from Isn't Anything, Loveless, and the You Made Me Realize ep (which was their second to last song, with that ginormous wall of feedback chord in the middle, which they kept going for at least 20 minutes). Cigarette In Your Bed from that ep was a nice respite, too, as Kevin Shields pulled out the acoustic guitar for that one. You can see pics of the show and read more about it here. And here's a new-ish pic of the band. I'm kinda glad Belinda cut her hair.

(I'm having trouble posting image links now for some reason...don't know what that's all about.)
mouse
yeah thirties my friend who i went with was really pissed that everyone knew about beach house. she kept grumbling "thanks a lot, nylon magazine, for writing about my favorite bands". hah.

david byrne was A. MAZ. ING. he and his band were all dressed in white, and there were three dancers who did silly david byrne type dances to a bunch of songs, including one where they performed while sitting in office chairs, and the backup singers and byrne himself were often part of the dances--at one point one of the dancers leapfrogged over david byrne's head WHILE HE WAS STANDING. it was amazing. he played most of the new album (which i ADORE, btw), some stuff from his & eno's earlier collaborations, & some classic talking heads pieces--including "once in a lifetime", "take me to the river" and, brilliantly, "burning down the house". he came back for four encores and seemed flabbergasted that we liked him so much. at one point he sort of laughed incredulously and said something about whatever happened to blase angelenos. he seemed like he was genuinely having a wonderful time and he and his band sounded SO GOOD. i know he's nearly sixty but the man hasn't lost ANYTHING. his voice sounded so beautiful.

i just got back from the eagle rock musical festival; caught abe vigoda and crystal antlers who i've loved for a while, and then was pleasantly surprised by a performer named emily wells--take three parts coco rosie, two parts rasputina, one part hip-hop and a pinch of andrew bird and put it all in a blender. not bad for something i just stumbled upon.
rubberdollz
Ok so I feel like a loser.... December Suicidal Tendencies is coming to Detwat and they are of course playing on a weekday! Why do bands have to do this?!?!?! I wouldn't mind going to see them with the old man but the thought of staying out late to see a band and then getting up early the next day for work is horrifying to me. I am so not a morning person which makes getting up early difficult already. Does anyone else have these problems????
thirtiesgirl
That's me all over, RD. I wake up at 5:15 to make it to work on time, so I can't go out to see shows during the week, which really sucks. It's the one reason I miss my former 9-5 job, when I didn't need to wake up so early and could go out more often during the week. On rare occasions these days, I'll make an exception to see a show on a weeknight. But it's very rare these days because, like you, I'm SO not a morning person and if I don't get at least 6 hours of sleep during the work week, I'm an absolute mess the next day.
tommynomad
I hear you. I went to see the Black Crowes in April, and had to sit at the back with cotton wadding in my ears. Still a great show, but I think I'll stick to outdoor festivals. Not that I can afford them. I'm a studenta again, so concerts are definitely out for a few years. There's always bt.etree.org, where bands that allow taping let their fans distribute the shows!
faerietails
saw of montreal last night...finally! i've been wanting to see them for years, but every time they came i was tied up with something or it sold out. it was a really awesome show. the only thing i did not appreciate was when they brought a (real) horse onstage, because it was insanely loud and the poor thing looked terrified. and of course, everyone thought it was soooooooo cool...that kind of killed my high.

but overall, they were great. they mostly played their new album (which i downloaded a few days ago, then was able to buy at the show 10 days ahead of time!) and they performed "smells like teen spirit" as their first encore song! now that was fun!

my ears are still ringing. i can't believe i forgot my earplugs last night! grr.
nezumi
I'm going to see Tegan and Sara tonight, and I'm so excited it's ridiculous. I hadn't thought I'd go, but then one of my friends called me to say her girlfriend couldn't go after all and she needed to sell the ticket to someone...and it seemed too much like fate for my whimpering bank account to keep me from saying yes hahah.
nezumi
It was so worth it - they were amazing!
mouse
ANDREW BIRD IS PLAYING TWO SHOWS IN LA AND BOTH ARE SOLD OUT AND I DON'T HAVE TICKETS WHY DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS I FREAKING CHECK HIS TOUR SCHEDULE ALL THE TIME AND HE NEVER PLAYS IN LA OH MY GOD I AM NOT GOING TO GET TICKETS AND I'M GOING TO CRY SERIOUSLY sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
Melanielouise
Last week I saw the Aliens at the Hoxton Bar... it was one of the best shows I have seen in a really long time. I got into them because I love the Beta Band and stuff that the lead singer recorded while in a mental institution called Lone Pigeon. Lone Pigeon is my favorite of all the albums... but to see the Aliens live was comparable.
Any other Alien fans like me in here?
faerietails
mouse, i totally feel your pain. his nyc shows sold out before i knew about them, and there's no way i'm getting in. i'm crushed. sad.gif

i saw manman that sunday after i saw of montreal. it was at a tiny venue in ct, and it was awesome (their nyc show was the same night as of montreal, so i had to make the hour drive out to ct).
thirtiesgirl
I'm so excoited to see Stereolab tomorrow night! I haven't seen them live in forever. I wasn't a huge fan when I saw them the first time, but I'm quite nutty for them now, so I'm looking forward to it. Tweetlings and tootlings....
thirtiesgirl
Yes, I'm posting again. I just got back from the Stereolab/Monade show and it was absolutely FANTASTIC. I have a girl crush on Letitia Sadier all over again. She is so lovely, poised, womanly, and yet she rocks out...she makes me wish I had a French accent. And she's not a tiny birdlike rocker girl either, like some I've met (Tanya Donnelly, Juliana Hatfield, Kristin Hersh, Miki & Emma Lush come to mind...). Letitia has a tall, swimmer's body with broad shoulders, curvier hips and strong limbs. It was great to see her on stage.

Her side project band, Monade, opened first. Letitia was wearing a very cute grey '60s sheath dress with white accents...unfortunately with a pair of beachy flip flops that just didn't work, as far as this clothes horse is concerned. But, hey, a girl's gotta be comfortable, and the band sounded great. Their newest cd, Monstre Cosmic, is worth a spin.

Letitia glammed it up a bit more for Stereolab, taking the stage in a royal blue silk sheath dress with black leggings and cute black mary jane flats. And Stereolab got their groove on in a major, major way. They've gotten so much more confident and powerful on stage compared to the first time I saw them live in the early '90s. They played a lot of wonderful new songs from Chemical Chords, plus some of my favorites from older albums, including French Disko (Refried Ectoplasm, Vol. 2), Ping Pong (Mars Audiac Quintet), Cybele's Reverie (Emperor Tomato Ketchup), and Double Rocker (Sound Dust - a personal favorite). I was missing tracks from Dots & Loops and Cobra & Phases Group, but the new material more than made up for it.

The worst part of the evening, though, was the second opening band, in between Monade and Stereolab. It was some absolutely awful Maroon 5/James Blunt wannabe named Richard Swift and his band, with the most annoying voice ever (and I'm not a fan of the Maroon 5's/James Blunts of this world, so that should tell you something). This guy trotted out every overused singer-songwriter cliche in the book, and his lyrics were ridiculously redundant. I could not wait for the little turd and his band to get off the stage, but unfortunately, I was surrounded by Richard Swift fans who didn't like it when I actually booed after one or two of his frightfully obvious songs. (For the record, I've never liked music that insults my intelligence, and not only did his music insult my intelligence, but he did by saying shit like "Thank you for applauding, audience," when he came on stage, addressing us as 'audience,' like we're somehow lesser beings because we're not on stage. Riiiiiiight. And then he says, "this is the second song we're going to play," before launching into song number two. I mean, I really don't need to pay money to see an asshole who can't hide his contempt for the audience.) Fortunately, I wasn't the only one booing. After yet another frightfully obvious Billy Joel/Maroon 5 ripoff, some guy in the balcony let forth a giant boo, which I was so glad to hear. Although Richard Swift was not. Fortunately, he just left it at a bitterly uttered "thanks a lot" to the audience at large, and continued on with his ear torturing set. I was so glad when he finally left the stage.
Melanielouise
QUOTE(mouse @ Oct 19 2008, 09:32 PM) *
ANDREW BIRD IS PLAYING TWO SHOWS IN LA AND BOTH ARE SOLD OUT AND I DON'T HAVE TICKETS WHY DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS I FREAKING CHECK HIS TOUR SCHEDULE ALL THE TIME AND HE NEVER PLAYS IN LA OH MY GOD I AM NOT GOING TO GET TICKETS AND I'M GOING TO CRY SERIOUSLY sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

That is not good news at all mouse, I am very sorry. I am going to see him in London on Nov. 20th you should fly over to see him tickets are still available... I guess that would be a very expensive show though sad.gif hope he tours LA again soon for your sake
crazyoldcatlady
mouse i saw him last year up in my parts. (awesome, but i didn't want to rub it in). but, what with the lack of people, let alone people with good taste in music around here, the tix weren't hard to get. if he comes around again, u got a place to crash. (andrew bird tickets, $35. West-east coast round trip flight, $500. still less than a scalper wink.gif )
mouse
yeah i've seen him before--most notably in the berklee concert hall, which is where i discovered him five years or so ago when he opened for the magnetic fields and basically had my mind blown. he is in my top three favorite musicians or bands EVER (the others being the magnetic fields/stephin merrit, and hefner/darren hayman), and he may be the only musician i can listen to on repeat and never get sick of. and of course, he plays a flabbergasting live show.

thanks for the offer, though--i will def keep that in mind. OH ALSO i'm gonna be in boston over new years....will you be nearby?
octobersky
Saw NIN last night on the fall leg of the "Lights in the Sky" tour. Wonderful, excellent, amazing show!! So glad to have seen them twice this year. I had gotten the presale so the seats were fabulous as well; just directly to the right of the stage and about five rows up. Fifth time seeing the band tongue.gif

Warning Fangirl Moment Ahead: wub.gif
The night before the concert (sunday) my friend and I went to see Quantum of Solace and coming OUT of our theatre was Trent Reznor!! I seriously almost crapped my pants. He was already accosted by a few fans so my friend and I didn't want to bother him, so I just smiled and nodded at him. OMFG is he ever hot in person!!!! Squee!!!! Seriously I have had a crush on him for the last 20 years, yes I'm pathetic I know wacko.gif Then as my friend and I were leaving the theatre we saw the rest of the band!!! Concert karma rocks biggrin.gif
.eilleen.
Well, I haven't been to a concert in awhile, but I'm making it up soon: Liza Minelli on opening night at the Palace and a week or so later, Duran Duran!

I.can't.wait.
tommynomad
Duran Duran are one of the most pleasant surprises of my concert career. I swa them open for Bowie, and they were tight as a drum, and turned this non-fan into one.

Last week I saw the penultimate stop on the Steve Earle-Alison Moorer tour. Interesting that with the election of Obama, the optimism spreads: not one anti-Bush song in the playlist. Lots of biting social commentary, but it appears the duck is now truly lame.

Oh, and Steve is an acoustic guitar GOD.
octobersky
I'm going to Duran Duran at the begining of December too Eilleen. Edit: I was going to ask you if you were in Ohio, but then when I posted I saw you are in NJ. Nevermind. I'm rather excited 'cause I've never seen them and my inner 11 year old is spazzing with glee. Yeah, I go from NIN to Duran Duran in less than a month rolleyes.gif strange, huh?

Funny enough tommynomad, I saw NIN open for Bowie, most of my musical tastes seem to rest soley on the shoulders of David Bowie. Sadly when I saw Bowie it was kinda disappointing, he was in his "will only play new music phase" so we didn't get any of the old stuff.

I'd love to see Steve Earle!
mouse
of montreal of montreal of montreal of montreal

i cannot even fully convey the costume changes, the puppets, the pantomimes, the body paint, the centaur, the shaving cream, the feathers, the fanny pack, the guns, the suicide by hanging, the animal masks, the videos, the headdresses, the foods, the falsettos, the sequins...

i've loved this band since the 90s when they were twee and lo-fi and embarrassing, and though i will admit i was dubious and disenchanted as they began to morph into the indie-disco-funkmonster they are today, i quickly came around and am thrilled to let them be whatever batshit crazy thing they decided to evolve into.

they finished up by covering franz ferdinand and exited with "smells like teen spirit" which was hilarious because 50% of the crowd weren't even born when that song came out.
tommynomad
Yesterday I saw a band of greying hippy buskers (think the Shuffle Demons in middle-age) cover Franz Ferdinand, the Killers, and Nirvana--on 10 ukuleles--awesome!
faerietails
mouse, of montreal covered franz?! jealous!! they covered a whole bunch of stuff in nyc (slts included), but franz wasn't part of it.

i saw the mcgarrigle family christmas hour at carnegie hall on wednesday. rufus was awseome, as usual, and he sang "have yourself a merry little christmas" with justin bond, who totally kicks ass. jimmy fallon was also surprisingly funny (i usually hate him). at the end came face-to-face with julian schnabel and natasha lyonne (i had a front row ticket near the exit). the julian sighting was what floored me. i love him!

saw the decemberists and manman recently, too. and rufus wainwright about 2 1/2 weeks ago (yes, in addition to the mcgarrigle thing wednesday. i'm turning into a rufus groupie). he did a solo acoustic show that was incredible.
Christine Nectarine
QUOTE(faerietails @ Dec 14 2008, 12:50 AM) *
i saw the mcgarrigle family christmas hour at carnegie hall on wednesday. rufus was awseome, as usual, and he sang "have yourself a merry little christmas" with justin bond, who totally kicks ass. jimmy fallon was also surprisingly funny (i usually hate him). at the end came face-to-face with julian schnabel and natasha lyonne (i had a front row ticket near the exit). the julian sighting was what floored me. i love him!

faerie, i had no idea there was such a thing! i would have loved to see it. was martha also involved? i saw her open for Loretta Lynn a couple years ago, and also play with Rufus, and she is amazing! i love them singing together too.
weirdie
Nine Inch Nails came to Victoria on the 5th. Absolutely amazing! Definitely the best light show I've ever seen.
thirtiesgirl
Mercury Rev are playing at the El Rey tomorrow night, but I didn't buy a ticket because it's hard for me to go out during the work week these days. But I'd really love to see them live. Plus, I have a major crush on Jonathan Donohue. Grr...dilemma.
faerietails
QUOTE(Christine Nectarine @ Dec 15 2008, 12:46 PM) *
faerie, i had no idea there was such a thing! i would have loved to see it. was martha also involved? i saw her open for Loretta Lynn a couple years ago, and also play with Rufus, and she is amazing! i love them singing together too.

yeah, that was my first time seeing martha (i love her!). it was great. i think the concert is a yearly event to raise money for their cancer fund. i tried to go last year, but it was sold out and tickets on ebay were insanely expensive. but i highly recommend it. in addition to the fact that the stage and the audience is star-studded, it's just a lot of plain fun! smile.gif
anna k
I saw Bettye LaVette and Marcia Ball, two soulful singers, perform tonight in Raleigh. Marcia is a boogie-woogie blues pianist from Louisiana, while Bettye sings soul with a blues rock sound to it. Both were just fantastic and awesome to see live.
candycane_girl
I saw Holy Fuck for free last night down at the Harbourfront. It was pretty cool however there were a lot of people there who didn't seem interested in the band. I think they just heard the music and were wondering what was going on. The crazy thing is that they actually went onstage on time. CC_boy and I were a bit late leaving my apartment so we took a cab there and they had already started playing. They played for just over an hour which was cool, although it was weird to go to a show without an opening band. I think CC_boy was right when he said that the opening band is necessary because it kind of gets you into the mood so that by the time the main band starts you're really into it.

Tonight is Broken Social Scene and I can't wait! I bet it's going to be huge!
candycane_girl
I just had to post about the awesomeness of last night's free Broken Social Scene show! I was a bit disappointed that they didn't play mine and cc_boy's song (Lover's Spit) and in fact there were a few songs I was expecting that weren't played. But it was still a great show. The best part for me was that they had Leslie Feist, Amy Millan and Emily Haines all playing with them! I saw BSS back in November and they had a different girl playing with them. It was kind of funny because Kevin Drew introduced Feist and I said to cc_boy, "Wouldn't it be awesome if all three women ended up playing this show?" And then it happened! By the time they introduced Emily Haines I was jumping up and down and screaming, I was so excited.

The only downside to the show was the assholes who decided to stand on their seats and block the view for the rest of us. A lot of people yelled at them but most of them just kept standing there. So I spent a lot of the show straining to actually see the band but damn they put on a great show! They didn't even leave the stage they were just like "Okay, this is the encore" and then they played not one but four more songs! It was a really incredible night.
candycane_girl
Just wanted to say a little something about the Yeah Yeah Yeahs show. It was awesome! The opener was great too. I was kind of amused because candycane_boy and I got there an hour late but she was just going on. Also, it was a small venue so we were really close to the stage! I can't believe how close we were to Karen O!

The whole show was spectacular. There was so much energy coming from the band and cc_boy and I were so happy, it kind of felt like those scenes from True Blood with Maryann when everyone is dancing and over the top happy. Anyway, it was great.
pollystyrene
Stargazer and I were at Lollapalooza all weekend. Tonight, we saw Jane's Addiction from the catwalk. Best concert of my life. I'll post pictures from the whole weekend tomorrow! Off to dream about Dave Navarro.....
pollystyrene
Lollapalooza pictures!
crazyoldcatlady
ahhhhh! santogold!! (ok, i know she changed it to santi- but i loved her back when!)

navarro abs?

and tool? are you TRYING to kill me?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.