Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The General Health Question Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
pollystyrene
The next time I have to do a liquid diet (see picture in Say Cheese!) someone remind me that I may want to take some stool softeners about the time I start eating food again.....dear lord. That was as bad as getting the wisdom teeth out.
p_176
netis do help reduce the infection, because the netis cause everything to drain. of course, netis work best in conjunction with the antibiotics.
culturehandy
or you could ensure to eat a lot of veggies and bran and such.
crazyoldcatlady
polly, if you're taking any pain meds (hydrocodone, etc) that can make you pretty constipated.

(p.s., i feel your pain... i have pericornitis right now... i can no longer keep postponing the extractions due to my mega-pussiness)
hellotampon
I am always sick. It's been like this for a year at least. Mostly colds, coughs, mild sinus infections, ear infections. I also had a stomach bug. I had a couple months of relief this summer (was bothered by seasonal allergies, but that was it), and now I'm back to sickness on top of sickness again. At the very beginning of this month I had a cold. Last week I had a flu-like illness that lasted 3 days- I had a fever, headache, body aches, chills, runny nose, etc. I felt better on Monday, then on Thursday I get a cold. My nose has been dripping like a faucet. My face and throat are raw from it, and I can't stop coughing for 2 minutes. It hurts and I can't sleep.

My diet is okay, aside from me having a sweet tooth. I guess I could eat better though. I drink plenty of water and tea. I could exercise more, but I do have a job that keeps me physically active. I'm not that stressed- I only work 32 hours a week, I don't have money or relationship problems, and I'm not even going to school this semester. I work in healthcare so I wash my hands constantly. I work in a nursing home so it's not like I should be bringing that much stuff home anyway- they all have chronic diseases.

I'm at my wit's end. I can't deal with being sick all the time. I live with my boyfriend and he never gets sick. And his weekend job is in retail- you'd think he would be catching more stuff than me.
pollystyrene
I suspect that there's some underlying cause (and I'm sure a more qualified bustie can give you suggestions on where to start with that) but in the meantime, I know people who've had a lot of luck with colostrum supplements. Some people take it on a daily basis, regardless of how they feel, to boost their immune system (and other benefits.) I've taken in the past; not on a daily basis, but when I feel a cold coming on, it really helps.
mumblestutter
I've been taking a beta glucan supplement. I guess it's derived from asian mushrooms & is supposed to be helpful for boosting the immune system, even when taken long term. The guy at the health food store and wiki seem to think so.

I think I might start taking it regularly as I seem to be getting sick every 4-6 weeks.
hellotampon
I've been taking airborne and a multivitamin. I really have to stop picking at my face though. I'm constantly touching my eyes and mouth- no wonder I'm always sick.
p_176
what multivitamin are you taking? possibly you need to change brands. i used to take centrum, and i was sick ALL the time. now i take GNC womens vitamins, and i feel a lot better.
hellotampon
Some sort of woman's vitamin... I think it's store brand.
humanist77
grrr, sick for the third time in less than 4 months! This is seriously not normal for me. Something has got to be wrong with my immune system. I'm not stressed more than usual, I eat fairly healthfully, I could always use more sleep, but i generally get enough. I'm so frustrated with my body! Any other ideas? I smoke pot, but moderately-not enough that i get lung irritation or anything. Can THC have adverse affects on the immune system? I can't seem to find any unbiased, reliable info on websites-it's either war-on-drugs sites saying it'll kill you, or pro-marijuana sites saying there's no link. I just wanna be healthy....
auralpoison
Has anybody here any experience with dermatographism? It's something I seem to have developed recently & it seems to be completely idiopathic (There has been no change of anything in my life. No new soaps, lotions, potions; no strange fabrics; etc.) Antihistimines aren't helping & switching to cool showers aren't either.
strongirl
Hi Auralpoison,

I suffered with an extreme case of this for about 6 months several years ago. It wasn't until years later that I realized it was triggered by MSG in Chinese food I was eating almost daily (my sig. other owned a Chinese restaurant at the time) - I didn't figure it out until another Chinese food meal at a different restaurant years later triggered the same thing. So it may be dietary, not topical. Just a thought. Also I found the only thing that helped was icing the hives and that was just temporary relief. You have my sympathy, it can really suck!

Strongirl

spot-on
Just wanted to chime in and say that we humans are funny being we can just wake up and suddenly decide to be sensitive to some products so it doesn't have to be a new product you're using. One day I just woke up allergic to nickel. No symptoms beforehand, just happened. Also just because YOU haven't changed the products, doesn't mean the manufacturers haven't. Check for new recipes/formula labels on the products sometimes they label changes sometimes they don't.

I'd wash everything in just water, and go to no product for a while if possible and reintroduce.

Yeah and Strongirl is right it could be something you ingested rather than something topical

QUOTE(auralpoison @ Nov 13 2009, 05:35 PM) *
Has anybody here any experience with dermatographism? It's something I seem to have developed recently & it seems to be completely idiopathic (There has been no change of anything in my life. No new soaps, lotions, potions; no strange fabrics; etc.) Antihistimines aren't helping & switching to cool showers aren't either.

ketto
AP, how are your stress levels? I've only had hives a few times in my life, but in April 2008 I had them every single day for almost a month. Stress seemed to be the trigger. I was just finishing my final year of university and the day after I finished my last assignment I flew to England with my brothers and hoped the hives would disappear on their own. I had them for two more weeks while I was in England and no matter what I did they appeared.

They appeared the same time of day every day (even after the time change - so they began around 3pm in Canada, but once the time changed, they began around 3pm in England) and I tried everything from eating different foods to wearing all different clothes. Alcohol made them worse, but didn't trigger them. I finally went to a chemist and explained my issue. They said it could be stress related and told me to take an antihistamine at the same time everyday until they went away. They didn't start disappearing for a few days, and I took the pills for a week or two just to be safe. Once I stopped the pills they didn't come back.
auralpoison
First my ass turns my toilet seat purple, now this.

I wash my clothes/clean my house with Dr. Bronner's Lavender castille soap/Sal Suds, sometimes augmented with vinegar or baking soda for tough stuff.

I try to stay away from pre-packaged foods, but I did buy some frozen egg noodles, canned black beans, & frozen shrimp. Everything else is fresh (Mostly. I put up an assload of local stuff from the farmer's market over the summer.) & well washed. I haven't eaten out since the end of August. The most dangerous thing I've eaten was a small bag of jalapeno Cheetos last week.

I did get some new perfume from my beloved, but it wasn't my first bottle of the perfume & it's a one-off, limited-edition, single-batch scent that never bothered me before. It's Lush, just like everything else in my bath. In fact, the only thing that seems to keep the itching at bay is a lukewarm shower with Dream Wash followed up by a slathering of Dream Cream. So I wind up smelling like a medicine chest, but I am moisturized.

I've had stress-related hives before. I had a six month period in my early twenties where I had no job & was scrambling to keep it together. I had angry red hives all over my body & my lips would swell up so I looked like a duck. Not really conducive to somebody giving me a job when my upper lip was so swollen it blocked off my nose & I was riddled with itchy bumps. This isn't like that at all. I'll have a random itch on my arm, I'll give it a light absent scratch, five minutes later I look down & there are angry red wheals.

And I'm pretty much constantly on some form of antihistimine. I'm allergic to damned near everything BUT animal dander. I've known how to be careful about my sensitive skin since I was ten, hence my surprise at this new thing. Outside of rolling myself in oats, I am at a loss.

ETA: Um, I also had the odd eyeball swelling during that stress stint. Only one at a time, though.
chachaheels
AP, if you were my patient, I would want to rule out some specific causes before just opting to treat this topically.

It sounds (from the little you mentioned here--allergies, previous incidences of swelling/skin sensitivity) that you're really sensitive to almost anything, and almost anything can bring about an immune system response. It's as if something very persistent has worn down your defenses systematically, so that you react to just about anything. I think the dermatographism you write about is another form of this--it's like an extremely localized version of an intense allergic reaction, complete with swelling, redness, heat, and pain (itch classifies as pain).

The usual allergies apply--shellfish, pets, soy, any kind of food, dust mites, mould, drug allergies (consider this specifically if you are using any kind of drug on an ongoing basis). Other things to rule out: scabies, ringworm, tinea capitis (any of the tineas, fungal infections, bacterial infections, sensitivies to amyloid proteins (amyloidosis). All of them are systemic, not just local). Here is what I would really like to rule out:

chronic renal failure, or any kind of kidney weakness (there's a lot of swelling tendency in your history, I'd want to make sure your kidneys are working well)
hypothyroidism
hyperparathyroidism
any autoimmune disease, such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, autoimmune hepatitis, fibromyalgia
diabetic neuropathy
polycythemia (too much iron in the blood, which can cause incredible itchiness in the skin that can't be relieved easily, among other things)

auralpoison
Thanks, Chacha. I'll write all that down & take it with. I already knew that I have some auto-immune issues, I really hoped this wasn't a part of that even though I figured that it was. It runs in the fam. It seems like I get a handle on one thing & another pops up to replace it.

Shit. Guess I better make an appt with my GP to see if I can't get a handle on this. My doctor at home is great, the doctor here thinks it's all in my head. Like I'm intentionally scratching too hard & giving myself the wheals. Seriously, I lightly scratched my initials into my arm as a test & they raised up all angry. I know I'm sensitive, but not that sensitive!
ketto
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Nov 18 2009, 07:40 PM) *
It seems like I get a handle on one thing & another pops up to replace it.

This is exactly how I feel.
pollystyrene
Great. I'd never heard of "dermatographism" and now you've got me paranoid about it...what's normal redness after you scratch yourself with something and when does it become dermatographism? Does it have to have bumps form? Does it have to be itchy? I'm not noticing any bumps or itchiness, but my skin does stay red for awhile after I scratch myself. I'm pretty fair-skinned, though.

And as long as I'm here, I may as well ask...I have rosacea. I tried a couple different creams and they'd work for awhile but they got expensive and after a few weeks, with one of them, I reacted to it. I saw a commercial (love that drug marketing!) for something called Oracea. It's a low-grade antibiotic (I think- doxycycline) that treats rosacea as an inflammatory condition and is supposed to reduce redness, along with the pustules (yum!) that come with rosacea. Obviously, I'm concerned about being on a low-grade antibiotic, both for mysef and I don't want to contribute to the bacterial resistance problem. Their website claims that the medicine doesn't affect bacterial resistance...is this possible? Do only certain antibiotics affect it? And what about what it could do to me, if I were to go on it long term.

I try to minimize any other causes of the condition- I use gentle, non-abrasive face products, stay out of the sun as much as possible. I try to limit spicy/acidic foods , but I don't want to completely give them up.
chachaheels
Dermatographism actually looks as though you've applied puff paint (remember that stuff? it comes out of a tube like liquid glue, but then it puffs up) to your skin. It is very localized, the skin swells and forms red wheals wherever it has been contacted or scratched. I always think of it as a sign of an already highly compromised immune system (but then, if you suffer from any kind of allergy, that's enough of a sign of that already). If you're not getting symptoms like this then you can rule out this symptom for yourself.

Using any kind of antibiotic treatment is going to have effects somewhere--either it will be a full spectrum antibiotic (and the ones for skin usually are) so you will be facing a deficit in some microflora you'll need to keep your entire digestive and reproductive system healthy. I generally have found that any anti-biotic use for skin care on an ongoing, long term basis seems to have negligible effect on the skin quality anyway.

There are some alternatives that you can use which are extremely effective (one that has to be done with a qualified practitioner to achieve the best effects, the other can be done much more generally for overall skin improvement and health improvement). If you're interested in some resources that way, I can point you to some.

AP, best of luck, hope it is something that can be rectified very soon. If you're interested in any supports using alternatives, let me know, I'd be glad to help.
Lunalu
I have the idiopathic hives, too and it's been going on since last January.
My allergist suggested I take Zyrtec everyday, and as long as I'm doing that I'm not bothered too much, but I don't want to keep taking Zyrtec everyday, and when I don't take it, the hives come back right away.
I had couple days where I didn't take zyrtec on purpose to see if it would start, and it always started...
my naturopath did a comprehensive allergy testing so IgG (?) and IgE, I might be wrong, anyway it turned out that I had sensitivity to wheat, gluten, olive/olive oil, chocolate, whey/all dairy products, banana, strawberries, almond, peanut, and cigarette and smoke itself... almost everything I was eating regularly... so I'm trying not to eat anything with these ingredients, and no matter how cautious I'm, if I'm not taking Zyrtec, the hives come back, all the time... it's really frustrating, and I'm starting to think my hives is not diet related...
my natorapath also is thinking it could be stress-related, and is suspecting I might have some cortisol imbalance (because my progesterone is also very low and i'm having unovulatory cycles every other month). anyway I've started drinking licorice tea and stopped smoking for the last 5 days! I'm anxiously waiting to see what is going to happen now...
Any suggestions? Anyone has ever experience this kind of long-term hives?

QUOTE(chachaheels @ Nov 20 2009, 04:55 PM) *
Dermatographism actually looks as though you've applied puff paint (remember that stuff? it comes out of a tube like liquid glue, but then it puffs up) to your skin. It is very localized, the skin swells and forms red wheals wherever it has been contacted or scratched. I always think of it as a sign of an already highly compromised immune system (but then, if you suffer from any kind of allergy, that's enough of a sign of that already). If you're not getting symptoms like this then you can rule out this symptom for yourself.

Using any kind of antibiotic treatment is going to have effects somewhere--either it will be a full spectrum antibiotic (and the ones for skin usually are) so you will be facing a deficit in some microflora you'll need to keep your entire digestive and reproductive system healthy. I generally have found that any anti-biotic use for skin care on an ongoing, long term basis seems to have negligible effect on the skin quality anyway.

There are some alternatives that you can use which are extremely effective (one that has to be done with a qualified practitioner to achieve the best effects, the other can be done much more generally for overall skin improvement and health improvement). If you're interested in some resources that way, I can point you to some.

AP, best of luck, hope it is something that can be rectified very soon. If you're interested in any supports using alternatives, let me know, I'd be glad to help.

chachaheels
All illness is "stress related". And all illness results from susceptibility. No exceptions.

That being said, it's good to know specifics about what you might be reacting to--so if you've been told that you have specific sensitivites, that's going to help you to keep yourself away from them because of your susceptibility to sensitivity.

Your hives may be diet related, but suppressing your body's natural healing attempts (which is to make the hives in the first place, believe it or not) is not the best thing to do. I always see great signs of hope if a prescription drug like Zyrtec ONLY works when it is used, but the body's resilience is evidenced by the fact that the actual hives do not remain suppressed when the drug is not used. Whenever I see this I know that you have enough health to actually become healthy again, without using suppressive treatments.

A lot of patients hate to hear that, but they all know it's right. Yes, the hives are a nuisance--but they are also your body's information to you about the fact that you need to work on eliminating the sensitivities and allergies, not just suppress them. Suppressing never works--it actually makes you far more sick and when we're dealing with allergies and allergic reactions (the body's "last ditch" efforts at self-defense, as all its defenses are exhausted), the only place for the illness to go is deep.

So--your naturopath sounds like he/she has access to some diagnostic tools/tests--but does he/she have any formal training in homeopathic medicine (not herbalism, not polypharmacy, but classical Homeopathy). If he/she does, he/she will have credentials from the regulatory bodies in Homeopathy--proof that they've undergone the minimum education requirements and passed the CHC exam for certification. It is definitely one way to eliminate all the sensitivities to foods and fix whatever is happening with your hormone imbalances and reproductive system--believe me, they are all interrelated. If it's done properly, Classical Homeopathy works brilliantly--but you have to look hard to make sure your practitioner is qualified and isn't just selling some combination drug mixtures to you under the guise of homeopathy. It's impossible to tell what they're doing and how you're improving or not with those things.

Even without that, ask your naturopath to put you on an elimination diet and to study the results of that carefully so as to create a supplement treatment program to help build your immune system back up. On an elimination diet, you start by eliminating all the foods that contain the items to which you are susceptible. You go for a number of weeks without them, then slowly add a food back into the diet, one at a time so that you can clearly monitor your reaction to it. No reaction--food stays. Reaction, you keep that food out of the diet.

That takes a considerable amount of time longer than homeopathy, but you will still not only benefit from the treatment by learning exactly how your body responds to exposure to different foods (or lack of exposure), you'll also regain your strength as you go. But be forewarned--that takes a lot of commitment. Stick with it, the outcome will be good.

Because it's nothing to dismiss, I always tell patients that the bottom line on EVERY allergy is not what you're allergic to, but WHO you are allergic to. Your hives started in January--that's a good clue that might give you a "never been well since" event. What changed in your life in January--including all the people you deal with, every type of relationship you've got, in your life, your work, your family, your social circle, etc. That is what's creating the susceptibility. Figure that out and you'll have a very good idea on what you need to fix in your life to become well again.
lightchested
QUOTE(sib @ Nov 22 2009, 07:29 PM) *
Any suggestions? Anyone has ever experience this kind of long-term hives?

I am from the small-chested board, but I had to respond to this.

I've had full body hives the size of nickels. I had them for months and sometimes years at a time. I also had other symptoms that I didn't know were related, but were. A major one was random ear pain that an ear/nose/throat specialist could not diagnose. He said my ears were "normal". I asked if chronic pain is normal. He admitted that it isn't, and said it was probably "allergy related". So many doctors, for so many years, blew off my symptoms as "allergy related", wrote me a script for the allergy med of the day, and charged me a fee for their knowledgeable services.

Now I have full blown MCS, can't work, and am trying to afford my naturopathic treatment, not covered by insurance, with my unemployment pittance. That, coupled with the cost of my now-necessary organic food, is crippling when added to my other "normal" expenses (car, cell phone, etc.)

If I could go back in time to when I was in hives hell, I'd do then what I'm doing now, in order to avoid being in the situation that I'm now in: I'd learn about liver function & how it relates to hives, I'd pick a method of liver cleanse that I could deal with and I'd do it every six weeks until my liver were clear, I'd stop eating sugar (to kill off the candida fungus- also related to the hives), and I'd get my food allergies treated with NAET.

I'd do it then before it was too late. Once it blows up into MCS, you become so far behind the eight ball you can barely see it.
Lunalu
QUOTE(chachaheels @ Nov 23 2009, 07:21 AM) *
Even without that, ask your naturopath to put you on an elimination diet and to study the results of that carefully so as to create a supplement treatment program to help build your immune system back up. On an elimination diet, you start by eliminating all the foods that contain the items to which you are susceptible. You go for a number of weeks without them, then slowly add a food back into the diet, one at a time so that you can clearly monitor your reaction to it. No reaction--food stays. Reaction, you keep that food out of the diet.

That takes a considerable amount of time longer than homeopathy, but you will still not only benefit from the treatment by learning exactly how your body responds to exposure to different foods (or lack of exposure), you'll also regain your strength as you go. But be forewarned--that takes a lot of commitment. Stick with it, the outcome will be good.

Because it's nothing to dismiss, I always tell patients that the bottom line on EVERY allergy is not what you're allergic to, but WHO you are allergic to. Your hives started in January--that's a good clue that might give you a "never been well since" event. What changed in your life in January--including all the people you deal with, every type of relationship you've got, in your life, your work, your family, your social circle, etc. That is what's creating the susceptibility. Figure that out and you'll have a very good idea on what you need to fix in your life to become well again.

chachaheels,

Thanks for all the information you gave. It's been in my mind to write a response to your reply, i havent had the chance.
when I started going to my naturopath (last february)she put me on a hypo-allergenic diet right away, and that excluded all the dairy, gluten / wheat products, strawberries, tomatoes, etc.. very common allergens, so I did that for like 2 months and my condition was still not improving. It was then we did the comprehensive allergy testing with 50 foods and other processed ingredient, and it turned out I had allergy to pretty much everything I was eating regularly. After the hypo-allergenic diet, I had switched to almond milk, then it turned out i had almond insensitivity, too. Not just that, but many other insensitivities, and it is really difficult to avoid some things more than others, for example after my hypo-allergenic diet, I switched to brown rice bread, even though I was not eating bread all the time, and now it turns out I have an allergic reaction to yeast as well... so anyway
What I wanted to say was that my naturopath and I talked about elimination diet many times, and it is just that we never came to a point where I felt okay to start putting these ingredient back to my diet because it has not been getting better, and this is the thing that makes me think it may not just diet related.
So I quit smoking too, it has been 2 weeks now, and I'm not taking Zyrtec for 3 nights, and I'm getting wheals and scratch markings now in the evenings.

I agree with you on that prescription meds. do not cure hives. It just suppresses my hives, that's why I need to find out the underlying cause of my hives so that can be treated. But I don't know, this is getting frustrated more and more every day.

Also, since last January, I had lots of life-events, I'm trying to finish school (I have a winter break in 10 days, we'll see how my hives will act during non-stress time) and I have been taking lots of credits and working part-time at the same time. I had major family problems with health issues, relationship/marriage issues, un/employment-lay-off, busy school schedule,etc... so 2009 has not turned out very nice for me. A lot of these things are not under my control, so maybe once I'm over this time-cycle (I'm getting my degree in March), maybe I'll be hives-free then...

Anyway, this turned into a long post. I was going to ask you if there is anything else that I should maybe look into-either further diagnostic tests? or different treatment...
I have been regularly drinking licorice root tea by the way, and I haven't noticed a change. Also, my naturopath-I don't think- she does homeopathy, I would be curious to find out how I can benefit from it, though... But like you say, it is difficult to find someone who is not just interested in charging me and my insurance, and sending me off with a list of drug mixtures.
Lunalu
QUOTE(lightchested @ Nov 28 2009, 08:16 PM) *
If I could go back in time to when I was in hives hell, I'd do then what I'm doing now, in order to avoid being in the situation that I'm now in: I'd learn about liver function & how it relates to hives, I'd pick a method of liver cleanse that I could deal with and I'd do it every six weeks until my liver were clear, I'd stop eating sugar (to kill off the candida fungus- also related to the hives), and I'd get my food allergies treated with NAET.

I'd do it then before it was too late. Once it blows up into MCS, you become so far behind the eight ball you can barely see it.

lightchested,

thanks for responding to my post, too. I think I remember I had some diagnostics done with my liver and nothing came out weird, but it might be good to check it again. I also don't have a sweet tooth, so I hardly ever use sugar, I don't drink juice, I don't use sugar in tea, I don't crave for candy / chocolate, and now I stopped the flour too, I don't eat processed food, so I don't know what else I can do to change. I will ask my naturopath about MCS and see what she might say.
chachaheels
Hi Sib,

Just to expand on what I was getting at about the mental/emotional state and its connection to disease of any kind:

you list a lot of big life changes there. Generally, I understand allergy in this way: the body has been completely drained of all of its available defenses except its last remaining ones. It has become so worn down that all the usual protective devices have been used up.

Think of a relationship in your life which mimics this exact situation: one that has demanded so much from you that it was used up all your defenses and resources. Think of a relationship that drains your strength.

It could be with a lover, with a specific friend or family member, with someone at work, with your job itself, at your school, in your classes, maybe the course itself, what you're studying. You don't have to answer anyone here, but you really have to do the work of analyzing your life this way.

There is a referral list of qualified homeopaths for North America at http://www.homeopathy-cures.com/search.html (though we've been censored on this board lately! So the links don't work. Just copy and paste it into the address bar). If you're in the UK, know that the NHS covers you for homeopathic care. I do know of a number of very good practicing homeopaths there if you're close to London or Manchester or Wales. There is also a nice little link on the homeopathy-cures site which explains the "letters" and credentials after peoples' names, that will be helpful in allowing you to choose who to see. One tip: just because the person is an MD, doesn't mean they're capable homeopaths--the best have focused their training on that medical science. Look for people who've passed the qualifying exams (CHC) and have done at least the basic 5 years of training (D. S. Hom. Med., R.S.Hom. Med., DHANP). Then contact the individual ones close to you, chat with them on the phone for a few minutes, get a feel for them. If you get the sense that they'd be a good person to work with to help you restore your health, great. If you don't, keep looking. I recommend you familiarize yourself with the basics of homeopathy so you know what to expect from your treatment, how the medicines are made, how they are meant to be used. There is a link to this kind of information on that site as well, or you could go to www.demystify.com and read Demystifying Homeopathy there.

Good luck, Sib. I know you'll get better.
sevenseconds
*takes a number to ask chacha a health question*

Dear lady, I've traveled the world looking for a doctor who thinks like you.
chachaheels
!!!!!

There are a lot of doctors out there who have similar philosophies--I am really lucky to learn from some very skillful and knowledgeable people. But the compliment is lovely, thank you.

runnergirl
Sorry, I wasn't sure what thread to post this under, so I hope this is ok.

So, I've been on the pill for a little more than 5 and a half years ( wow!). I went on it because I had horribly heavy TOM and wanted to get that and my acne under control. I've been having bad cramps and I've been thinking about it quitting it lately. I've had some on again off again depression during the last five years too, and have to wonder if it is related. I was diagnosed with depression by a Dr. took the meds for about a year, and went off of them. Moodwise I've been better, tiredness not so much....and I remember being this tired ever since I started the pill but not before.

I've been on 4 different pills. The first one and I didn't get along, I felt nauseated all the time. I had a long stint on one pill, but the last year or so I've been cramping and being really emotional around TOM. Like crazy needy, just wanting to lay around and have the bf cuddle me. So my Dr. switched me a few times. I haven't really noticed a change in that, which is a side effect I don't like.

I could get horrible cramps again, and go right back on it. But I guess I want to try and see what happens. I don't like the idea of hormones in my body anymore. Thoughts? Suggestions?

What about bc alternatives? I've been thinking about the cervical cap?
chachaheels
Runnergirl, I think coming off any hormone manipulation/replacement drug is a good thing. I know you're afraid of the possibility of cramps with each period, but that's minor. There are other things to think about first.

If you're looking for other forms of birth control, look in the archives here where people have discussed various types of birth control that they've used and what they've thought about the various options out there. For a time there was even a natural family planning birth control method thread here, where people talked about monitoring all phases of the cycle so that you could know exactly when you'd be fertile and when you'd be infertile. You could plan to use a barrier method and spermicide during fertile times to avoid becoming pregnant. It's an excellent method but you really do need to be in a relationship with someone you trust enough to respect the stages of your cycle. Done properly it's as effective as the pill and it doesn't subject you to the horrendous amounts of hormones you have to deal with on the pill. See if you can find that thread as well as all the other discussions about IUDs, barrier methods, etc. Please look into replacing the birth control method immediately, as your body will likely produce more ova every month until things balance out--but who knows how long that will take? Everyone is different. You're vulnerable to pregnancy so do take steps to protect yourself when you come off your pill for good.

As for the cramping with your periods, you could try using a biochemical tissue salt as necessary--especially if the kind of cramps you experience are the kind that always feel better when you double over, apply heat (like with a hot water bottle or a heating pad of some kind), and lie down for a while. If this is what you experience, you can pick up some Magnesium Phosphorica Biochemical Tissue salts from your local health food store in a 12x or 6x potency, and take four of these little pills dissolved in a little warm water every fifteen minutes when your cramps start. I usually tell people to take a dose every fifteen minutes until they no longer feel any cramping. I've rarely seen anyone have to take more than two doses for severe cramps.

They're not expensive, they work really quickly if your symptoms match the description above, they're pleasant tasting, and best of all, they may not only get you out of pain when you take them, they might actually stop the cramps from returning ever, during your cycle. Everyone's different, so we can't predict, but they're certainly worth a try.

Another option for cramps: a daily regime of cod liver oil capsules and oil of evening primrose capsules. Make this super easy and take six to eight Efalex omega 3 and 6 fatty acid complex capsules every day for three months--then reduce your dose to 3 or 4 capsules per day after that time. You should find this to help with hormonal rebalance after coming off the pill as well as alleviating the cramps every month.

Good luck! Oh, and the bonus of coming off the pill? Your sex drive returns. Whew.
buttercups
Does anyone on here ever get stomachaches from anxiety?? I keep getting horrible horrible stomachaches that wake me up in the middle of the night. I thought it was lactose intolerance, an allergy, a bunch of different things. Last night I had one again that woke me up and I thought I might even have food poisoning, bc these stomachaches also come with diarrhea (isn't that wonderful?). But I'm beginning to realize more and more that they happen when I'm really stressed out and start worrying and worrying myself all night until I finally fall asleep and then wake up 2 hrs later with a stomachache. If I can somehow manage to calm myself down, the terrible pain goes away. If I think about any problem I'm worrying about for a second, it comes back and hurts even more. Has anyone else ever experienced this? What can I do for it/how can I calm down? This is seriously worsening my already big sleep problem. Now I have a full day of class with about 3 hrs of sleep..any advice would be most appreciated!
pepper
Wow, Buttercups, did you figure this out, are you feeling any better? Sounds awful honey, hope you found a solution.

I am wondering if any of you know anything about tubal ligation? I've researched so I know the basics but personal experiences sometimes tell a whole nuther story...
Persiflager
Runnergirl: I've got the non-hormonal coil fitted, and it's worked very well for me. It made cramps slightly worse at first, but I felt much better emotionally.

Buttercups: How horrible! I find ginger and mint to both be good at settling my stomach, so I keep a packet of ginger sweets of peppermints by the bed. I know how hard it is to get worrying thoughts out of your head in the middle of the night; have you tried keeping a notebook by your bed and writing down all the things that are worrying you? Then you can say to yourself 'good, I've made a note of that and will deal with it in the morning'.
buttercups
Hey ladies, its been a lot better since school ended for the summer, thanks! I think its happened like one other time when I was worried about something that happened at my new job. If I can just find a way to calm myself down then the pain goes away, which is how I know its a mental/stress thing. Persi I love the idea of writing it all down so that I can just forget about it, I'm gonna try that thanks!

Pepper I don't really know anything about tubal ligation, I'll ask around though!
sageykins
Hi ladies,
I need some thoughts- I think I know what's going on but I'm not certain. Every once in a while (like maybe 2 times a year) somewhere between my period (what i'm guessing to be around the time I might be ovulating) I have this scent that I smell. I don't think I'm actually giving off a scent, it's as though it's in my sinuses... but I'm wondering if it's pheromones. As I breathe in and 'smell' my... coffee, my lunch, my home with candles- I note this underlying.. sort of musty scent. I don't understand it. And it isn't exactly musty but I don't know how else to explain it.
Does anyone else have anything similar? Or is it just me? I don't think it's bv either, I'm not dealing with those symptoms really. I'm just curious if it is hormonal or what. but why don't I notice it every month? Am I just more fertile now?
Thoughts? Opinions?
Thanks busties!
auralpoison
Um, NOT pheremones. I'd suggest maybe checking out the wiki page on phermones to get a better understanding of what they are, how they work, & the study of them in relation to human beings.

Also, I don't know if you do this already, but you may want to make note of your cycle if you "guess" it might be around the time you are ovulating. I use Monthlyinfo.com to keep track of my flow since it only takes a few seconds & I can always find it unlike my calendar.
sageykins
So... what is it? I'm pretty certain actually that I am ovulating. I track it.
auralpoison
Darlin', this is the Bust Lounge, not WebMD. I'ma a wager none of us know why your cunny smells weird sometimes. Our resident medical/holistic professional hasn't been here since January & while some folks might be able to share their experiences with musty smells coming from their nethers twice a year, I doubt you'd get much practical/useful insight as to what it might be. Support & hugs in spades, yes, but nothing practical.

Honestly, if it really bugs you, you should probably schedule an appt with your gyno. And sadly, if the BV thread is anything to go by, they probably won't be able to tell you dick about it either.
swt simplicity
QUOTE(sageykins @ Aug 31 2010, 03:58 PM) *
Hi ladies,
I need some thoughts- I think I know what's going on but I'm not certain. Every once in a while (like maybe 2 times a year) somewhere between my period (what i'm guessing to be around the time I might be ovulating) I have this scent that I smell. I don't think I'm actually giving off a scent, it's as though it's in my sinuses... but I'm wondering if it's pheromones. As I breathe in and 'smell' my... coffee, my lunch, my home with candles- I note this underlying.. sort of musty scent. I don't understand it. And it isn't exactly musty but I don't know how else to explain it.
Does anyone else have anything similar? Or is it just me? I don't think it's bv either, I'm not dealing with those symptoms really. I'm just curious if it is hormonal or what. but why don't I notice it every month? Am I just more fertile now?
Thoughts? Opinions?
Thanks busties!

Yeah, I used to experience something similar mainly because of a mild bacterial imbalance. My gynecologist said my pH was 4.5 which is considered to be normal and there were small signs of inflammation but nothing out of the ordinary. She also did smell my discharge and said that it smelled kind of sour-milkish and musty but she also said that is normal. You should probably consult with a gynecologist and get your pH checked. The vaginal pH does get higher and lower sometimes due to many reasons.

Once I began eating more prebiotic foods and taking probiotic supplements I wasn't experiencing the mustiness anymore.
sageykins
Ap- LOL! Hahaha, I'm laughing too much to answer! No, I don't think it's actually coming from my vag- It's as though its within my olofactory nerves or whatever. Hahaha....
Swt simplicity- I will up the yogurts and probiotics and see if I notice a difference.

Lol... still laughing over APs answer.
Sorry ladies. Must have shared too much. tongue.gif
pepper
My cootch is just like my boobs, different nearly every damn day. Seriously, I never know what size the girls are gonna be when I wake up in the morning and I have smelled of all kinds of strangeness down there. Celery, curry, garlic, peaches, earthy, yeasty, musty, fishy, copper tangy... I don't know if it's diet or hormones or ph or what but it's like I wake up wearing a different body every few days. It's so weird.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.