Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The General Health Question Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
cloverbee
jsmith, could be the hormones or your diet. stress usually doesn't make someone shed THAT bad.
quietmadness
Hey, Y'all! smile.gif

I love reading this thread. Y'all really seem to know what's up. Maybe someone here has an answer to this one:

Does anyone have any ideas on EDEMA? What causes it, and any home cures?

I've been swelling really badly for about a year and a half now. Mostly my left foot/lower leg, but lately it's been more spread out and even my hands/arms feel swollen in the morning.

I've cut down on the sodium, and I've been put on Lasix 1xdaily. It doesn't really help a lot, although it does make me pee like a mule for about 5 hours!

If anyone knows anything, I'd be eternally grateful!

Thanks!
chachaheels
Edema's usually a symptom of something chronic and deep--a result of something, rather than just an acute symptom that arises on it's own (unless it's the "side" effect of a drug).

It can be anything from a reaction to something taken by prescription (particulary if that drug affects the heart, kidneys or liver, has an effect on the water/salt balance in the body...any number of reasons) to something very serious, like the result of something like charcot's disease (the swelling takes place as a result of severe tissue damage taking place inside the body). Sometimes it's gout (which can be treated easily enough) and sometimes it's an indicator of diseases like diabetes...so it pays to figure out what's bringing the symptom up. Then there may be ways of alleviating what's taking place so that the swelling subsides and things return to normal--but it would be tragic to just treat the swelling and ignore its cause.

This is something I would urge you to thoroughly check out with a complete physical and other diagnostic tests. It's far better to determine what's causing the swelling than to just take a diuretic to get rid of the excess liquid that's accumulating, as that just gets rid of the symptom; the real problem's still there.
cloverbee
chacha, maybe you can help me figure out what to do about my hip. about three months ago I suppose I injured it riding a bike that was too small for me. It would ache hours after exercize. I kept exercizing on it anyway for a few months until it eventually got worse. Now I can't even walk a short distance. If I do, it doesn't hurt when I'm actually walking but a few hours later it starts aching and doesn't stop for a couple of days. So I'm taking tons of MSM and I just bought some glucosamine w/ chondroitan. I was on Ibuprofin which did wonders for the pain but hurt my sensitive bladder. Now my other hip is starting to hurt from favoring the other one. Do I just have bad hips or will this ever go away and do I just need to lay off it for a few weeks or what? I went to see a doc who said to just take a few days break b/w exercize and I did that but it didn't help. anyway, maybe you have some advice? much appreciated.
chachaheels
Cloverbee it sounds like you just need to see a good chiropractor for an adjustment. Riding that too small bike forced you to position yourself unnaturally to use it, and you've probably slightly misaligned your joints. Everything else is pushed off kilter when that happens, (as you've noticed with the compensation pains you're having). MSM won't help here, as it's not a joint problem so much as an "out of joint" problem; pain killers will suppress you feeling the discomfort, but it won't do anything to correct your misalignment.

Do you know of a good chiropractor where you are? Know of any friends who've seen chiropractors? It's good to have someone who's satisfied with their chiropractic doctor recommend one to you. The initial adjustment might be all you need to set things right (though, in my experience the pain can get a little worse before it gets better again). Anyway, I did something very similar with my hip bone a couple of years ago and I got absolutely no relief until it was repositioned via adjustment. Then everything felt better just hours afterwards.

Every case is different, but yours sounds pretty cut and dry--so I think it would work very well for you.
cloverbee
thanks, chacha. I will look into it tomorrow and i will let you know.
anarch
Chachaheels,

how effective is homeopathy for athlete's foot? I've been self-treating for over a year (alternating OTC creams, essential oils like tea tree, tagetes and oregano, and a bleach & water solution; very clean diet; changing socks 2x/day and washing them with bleach) and still can't get rid of it. Everything I've tried sets it back for a few days but then it just gets more aggressive. I'm even thinking about getting an oral antifungal from the doctor, even after reading about the potential side effects.

If homeopathy is effective for this, what questions do you recommend asking of a new naturopath / homeopath? Besides schooling, # of years in practice, etc, which are covered in their websites.

I'd have asked in the "alternative health" thread, but it seems to have disappeared.
pepper
oh, ugh. my boy has the WORST case of foot fungus. i'm curious to hear what you have to say to this too chacha.
his feet are full of teeny little holes. No Joke. Holes. it's so freaky.
i told him to soak in teatree oil every night but i think he needs something stronger. apparently it's been like this for Years. he has an amazing constitution so i'm surprised that Anything can live on his body but there it is.
he says it started when he was working in a machinist shop for hours and hours at a time, on his feet in sweaty, nasty boots. that's a few years ago now and still, deep pock marky holes in his soles. weird.
anarch
hi Pepper! *waves*

I just read about how to find older threads in the Community Forum. So I found the alternative health thread and pasted my fungus post in there.
chachaheels
It's effective for any disease, even the ones without a name (what the conventional meds call "disorders" or syndromes--code for "a bunch of symptoms that seem to occur together"). It just has to be done right, and you have to understand that athlete's foot is just one symptom, and it's not a separate ailment or disease from everything else that is taking place in the patient.

So treatment is exactly the same as it would be for any other illness or collection of symptoms--highly individualized, and non-suppressive. Give the patient the remedy and the patient's body will cure itself. You don't do any topical treatments other than make the necessary changes in lifestyle which will remove what we call "obstacles to cure" (in other words: replace all towels and linens which have touched the feet--or at least disinfect those items with washings using bleach; make sure the feet can breathe in proper footwear and socks; inform the patient about habits which won't encourage further fungal growth).

Athlete's foot indicates a fungal infection in the body--it is rarely confined to just the surface of the skin, there is usually something going on in the body which makes you susceptible to fungal growths of all kinds. So just removing the symptoms of athlete's foot with something topical just ends up driving the fungal infections deeper into the body. You don't want to do that.

Now, what to ask a homeopath:

1. Find out if they actually practice Classical or Hahnemannian homeopathy. That means they only use one single remedy at a time, give as little as possible of the remedy as needed, and work with you on an ongoing basis to manage your case--like it's supposed to be done. If they don't use classical homeopathy, either keep looking for a homeopath who does or do not allow that practitioner to use any combination of potentized drugs labelled "homeopathy" on you. They don't work and are very likely dangerous, and there is no way to effectively manage any case where more than one remedy has been used on the patient at one time.

Accreditations for classically trained homeopaths:
D. S. Hom. Med.
D. Hom.
R. S. Hom. (North America or UK)

Accreditations for Naturopaths who have been classically trained in Homeopathy:
D. H. A. N. P.
or some will feature their ND accreditation followed with the letters above.

2. Ask where they studied. There are good schools in the US, Canada, UK, India, Greece, Iran...really all over the world. The basic training in homeopathy involves both medical sciences training (same as what is taught in conventional medical schools) plus schooling in homeopathic medicine and philosophy, and training in materia medica (the "pharmacy" part, including chemistry, of how remedies are made, how they work in the body, how they can be properly used). Finally, supervised clinic work: most of us get at least 2 years.
There are regulatory bodies in homoepathy: in the US and North America, you can contact the North American Society of Homeopaths at NASH; in Canada, Canadian Society of Homeopaths for more information about good schools, members, codes of ethical conduct and practice, etc.

If you're not satisfied with the answers you get, then keep looking, or if you're interested in working with a Naturopath, then ask them to restrict their practices with you to their specialty modality (NDs are given a little bit of training in a variety of different modalities--but most schools insist that you choose a specialty and focus your learning there. Let your ND use that treatment method if it's what he/she knows best).

Best thing to do if you're interested in homeopathic treatment is to make yourself aware of what to expect as a patient: what's involved, how the remedies are made, chosen for you, and how they will "work", what's required of you as a patient in order for you to get the most out of working with your homeopath. Here's a brief introduction and all you need to know going in: Dr. Jacob Mirman's introduction to homeopathy. Click on the link "The book online" and read it through--it's short and thorough.
anarch
Hi Chachaheels,

Your answer is thorough and extremely helpful. I'll get on interviewing homeopaths/naturopaths right away. Thanks for your time!
_octinoxate
Okay, here's a question for you all:

In the past week, I've had a mild off-and-on pain in my lower legs. The pain feels like it's in the tibia. It's dull, and not intense. It started in the left leg and a few days later switched to the right leg. I noticed it more when I layed down to go to bed at night, but maybe that's simply because I had less on my mind and had a chance to notice it.

And in case it's relevant, I've also been dealing with joint pain.

Any ideas on this one?
kittenb
It possibly switched legs b/c you started favoring the painful side. It could be that you pulled a muscle. Have you tried icing it? DOes it help?
_octinoxate
Hm. I don't know much about pulling muscles, but doesn't that happen when you're active? Because of my joint trouble, I haven't done anything but sit, lay down, or scoot around in a wheelchair for months... but thanks for the input/suggestion.
chachaheels
Octi, have you ever experienced "growing pains", what they used to call the bone pains some kids get at night in their long bones (tibia, femur) after being extremely active? They can be sharp or dull, depending. I always associate them with calcium and phosphorus (chemical the elements, not necessarily the nutrient supplements).

That may be what you're experiencing. Have you ever had these before?
_octinoxate
Hi chacha. Yes, I've definitely had growing pains before, when I was about 13, and also sometimes the first night that I arrive in a new travel destination. So, this might be growing pains again, even though I'm fully grown and also not active at all?

Also, sorry that this is off-topic, folks, but I wanted to ask you, chacha, how you're doing and how your kitty is doing. Better, I hope...
chachaheels
Octi--if these pains aren't really new, and they check out to be "just growing pains" like you used to have, it could be that you need a tissue salt, Calcarea Phosphorica 6x or 12x, so that they stop happening. I'm not sure if actual growing takes place with "growing pains", even in children who get them. I do know they often accompany increased exertion of some kind (one of my patients, who's 11 now, used to get them every time she did a lot of jumping up and down--and she loves dance, so that was something she suffered after practically every lesson). The Calc Phos salts really helped whenever they started up...it might be something to look into, because whatever else the pains indicate they are telling you you need those minerals on a cellular level.

My kitty had a rough number of weeks in late summer, and I tried every kind of remedy I thought would work. He just kept getting worse and worse and then better and better every time we dosed him with a remedy that seemed appropriate, but would only "get him through a bad time" for a while. Finally, while my in-laws were visiting (a time that always stresses him out), I "got" the best remedy for him--suddenly I was able to really see what he was experiencing symptom-wise that was important. I gave him 2 doses of that...and ever since, he's been completely fine. No more kidney stones, no more recurrent bladder infections, no lack of appetite, no lack of energy, no more extremely painful urination. The other day, he did something he hasn't done for almost 2 months: he caught a mouse! We used to hate cleaning up after he went on what M.ChaCha and I call "his killing sprees", but I've never been happier to see something that indicated he was back to his old self again, messy and horrific as that could sometimes be.

So, he's eating well (loves everything we give him, too, and he's usually a prima donna!), he's got tons of energy now and he's begun to play and run again, and he has no problem using his litter box again as he has no pain when he needs to pee anymore. He is happy, his coat's shiny again and he's no longer in pain.

So I think he's gonna be around a while longer. And I am so, so grateful for that! And thank you so much for asking after him.
_octinoxate
Yay!! I'm so happy to hear about your kitty cat! I knew he was in good hands smile.gif Oh, how good!

Hm, thanks for the rec about the salts... is that connected somehow to the tissue salt that you recommended for joint pain/inflammation?
chachaheels
Thank you so much for asking, from my kitty (who is out prowling the grounds even though it isn't even light out yet)...you are very kind, Octi!

Yes, the tissue salt I recommended below is one of the twelve I wanted to look into for your pain--but we haven't had a chance to discuss that further, so I never did choose ones specific to what you were suffering earlier. This one in particular does work well for the "growing" pains you seem to be experiencing--they're handy and safe enough to keep around to take whenever the pains arise, too. So you can feel like you've got something you can use if things get rough, as well as take them daily to deal with the defiency they need to address.

I wrote a bit about tissue salts on one of these other health threads (now I can't remember which, but I'll go back and look and post the location here)--how easy they are to use, especially if you can invest a few bucks (usually under $10) to get a handy Tissue Salt handbook that will detail what each salt addresses, and how to choose the ones you need based on symptoms. Biochemical tissue salts, also called Scheussler Tissue Salts, are really wonderful medicines that work on both the nutritional level as well as the energetic level. They are inexpensive, easy to take, highly effective, and easy to find--great for adults, kids, and pets. I don't know why people bother trying to self-treat with homeopathic remedies (which really demand precision in their selection, even for acute problems and first aid care) when you can get great results safely with Tissue Salts. And you only have to choose between 12 of them, not 3000!
jsmith
Tonight I noticed little, unraised red dots on my legs that my grandmother (an rn) called 'petechiae'. Have any of you had this? Apparently they're caused by some underlying issue, I just can't imagine what it can be with me.
pollystyrene
Here's what i found on it, jsmith. Looks like there's a lot of things, everything from allergies to leukemia, that can cause it.
jsmith
Geez, I just have to have these wierd things happen that so many different things could be the culprit. First my hair is shedding like mad for whatever reason, now I've got these red dots. Thanks for the link, Polly. I guess I'd better go see a doc.
faerietails
Okay someone help me.

First off, I know my eating habits are BAD and I know that has something to do with this, but I don't think that's all there is to this.

Anyway, I've always thought I had IBS or something because I can never shit and for as long as I could remember I've always had horrible gas. It doesn't even smell, I just have a whole bunch of it. And seriously, I can eat half a pizza (I told you my eating habits are horrible), in addition to all other meals in a day, and I won't poop for like 3 days. That's actually my typical time frame for pooping: every 3 days or so.

So this week I didn't poop for like 4 days, and then I did, and then it was another 2 days (today) until I had another bm. I thought I had to go again a while ago, and instead when I wiped myself I just had blood. This has happened before, though not in a long time, and I honestly think it's just because the poo was so massive the other day and hurt like hell to push out. (sorry for the overdose on info).

I've taken fiber pills before, but they give me even more gas. And I don't like taking laxatives because I'm really not down with having diarrhea 24/7. So I don't know what to do. Any recommendations?
chachaheels
It sounds like you have hemorrhoids, faerietales (though I'm just going on the bleeding symptom you mentioned. Hemorrhoids can protrude or be "blind", occuring on the inside of the anus rather than outside); probably because of the constipation you've had for a long time. I don't really think diet has a lot to do with how often BMs take place so much, but the gas and lack of action you're experiencing just point to the fact that you're not digesting your food very well.

I wouldn't recommend laxatives, but you might want to try a couple of other things:

-digestive enzymes after every meal (which will cut down on the gas and actually help you break down your foods a little better)
-drink more water if you're taking in less than 64 ounces per day
-probiotics from live culture yogurt, raw milk sources like raw milk cheese, or from capsules you take daily
-adding some magnesium citrate into your diet . It's most effective if you take a form that dissolves in water. You only need a small amount, like 2 oz a day. Too much calcium/too little absorption of calcium/not enough calcium can cause the kind of constipation you have--which often happens because there isn't a proper ratio of calcium to magnesium in the body.

You don't really say much about your diet and what it is you're actually eating/not eating, so no real recommendations there. I just think your condition isn't all that related to what you're eating--more to what's going on/not going on with your digestion.

If the bleeding continues, however, you will have to go and find out what's causing it. It can be totally inoccuous, as you suspect (constipation is really taxing on the delicate tissue), but it can also signify other things which are more serious. It's best to rule out those possible serious illnesses.
faerietails
*sigh* Okay, the blood was just a one time thing yesterday. That's good, I hope.

Thanks for the info chacha! I'll defintiely try some of that. Where would I be able to find digesive enzymes and probiotic capsules?
chachaheels
It is good that it's looking like a rare symptom for you, but you should keep an eye on it. If it does persist, you really should see a doc about it, just to rule out the serious illnesses.

You can find digestive enzymes and probiotic capsules at a well stocked health food store, or a pharmacy that also carries good quality supplements (the kind that doctors will prescribe to their patients). Try to find a probiotic capsule with acidophilus and bifidus organisms, at least 12 billion live organisms. It should also have fructo-oligo-saccharides in the mix. This is what's called a "prebiotic", which allows the human micro flora to actually stay and become part of the intestinal tract. And that's what you want.

I looked up a brand that's very high quality here, and is available throughout North America. The probiotic is called Genestra HMF and you can buy this in powder or capsule form--they come in different strengths, I think the regular strength is just fine for your needs. If you do want to start with a more intense formulation and then move down to a less intense one, try the HMF Forte first and follow it with an HMF when you need to replace your bottle.

Genestra also makes a complete digestive enzyme called Bromelain Papain Plus in the states; Digest Plus in Canada. If you can't find the Genestra brand, look for a formulation that contains these enzymes:
Bromelain from a Pineapple source
Papain from Papaya
Betaine Hydrochloride (similar to your own stomach acid)
Glutamic Acid
Protease activity, Amylase activity and Lipase activity. (to break down proteins, starches, and fats)

Some really good enzyme combinations contain pancreatic enzymes in concentration as well--look for those especially (I know the Genestra brand has them for certain).

Good luck with them, let me know how it goes.

Just out of curiosity, have you been diagnosed with IBS-C?
little_idiot
So ever since I switched to Mircette, I've been having this weird pain with my periods. It started last night, and when I put a tampon in, it HURT. I had to take it out shortly after because the tampon was actually causing pain/discomfort. I've never had this happen before the Mircette, and I don't know what's causing it. Also I'm really constipated, which I think may be related to the pain. The Mircette is supposed to help you have shorter, lighter periods and I think it's finally starting to do that (3 months later) but it's very unpredictable--it'll be very light for a while and then like gush, then be light again. This doesn't seem normal, and it's REALLY inconvenient because even regular tampons feel uncomfortable--maybe because the flow is sometimes very light? I just don't know what's going on... Sorry for the details, but does anyone have any ideas/advice?
chachaheels
Sounds like your typical birth control pill side effect. You should tell your doctor and discontinue use of your current prescription. If you're still interested in taking the BCP, you and your doctor should try to find one which is not so disruptive to you.
_octinoxate
Hi everyone. So, I got some bloodwork done about a month ago to screen for various things, and in the process found out that I actually have high cholesterol. I thought it was weird to have it so young (and so vegetarian and good-eating!), but there's a family history so maybe it isn't so unusual after all. Anyway, my understanding is that to control cholesterol, I mostly need to cut down on saturated fat & cholesterol, and do cardio exercise (not possible now, but believe me, I'll do it as soon as I can). I also read that garlic is good for this. Anything else I can do?

Also, the bloodwork was non-fasting. I understand that there are fasting and non-fasting cholesterol levels... what's the deal here? Could it seem higher than it really is because it was non-fasting, or what?
chachaheels
Yes it does make a difference if you test while you fast; also, blood cholesterol levels go up and down out of physical need. High cholesterol levels, especially of LDLs, indicates that the body is trying to produce cholesterol to effect repair.

The latest long-term, indepth research on cholesterol completely overturns the outdated, Ancel Keys based (but totally misinterpreted, as Ancel Keys has been saying very clearly that his research has been abused) research on whether or not cholesterol is good or bad. In fact, the only thing that brings LDL down in many studies is an increase in saturated fat in the diet (so in fact, the vegetarian low fat diet and high cholesterol phenomenon is to be expected, and is actually quite commonly found).

Here's one article, very extensive, on the Benefits of High Cholesterol;
And here's another doctor's view of the conventially held cholesterol beliefs held against data, Ask The Doctor by Tim Cowan M.D.

There is a lot of information on this site on cholesterol, mainly because so many of the organizations board members are scientists who've conducted research on lipids for several decades (all of it independent). I hope you find it useful and reassuring, Octinoxate.
erinjane
Did they test for both the good cholesteral and the bad, or just cholesteral overall?

At my endo dr. a couple of years ago they did the full bloodwork for me and she told me that I had high good cholesteral so that if anyone else did a bloodtest on me they would probably only test for cholesteral overall and it would come out high, but really I don't have a problem. (did that make sense?)
_octinoxate
That does make sense, erin. I should check that out and find out what exactly they tested me for.

Chacha, thanks a lot for the info. On the one hand it is reassuring and does make sense, but on the other... it just fucking confuses me! In general, I find that a lot of your advice/perspective flies in the face of everything I've always heard/read, from sources I find credible, so I end up not knowing what to believe. I can think of very good reasons for taking either side. You know?
chachaheels
I know, Octi. But if you read the second article by Tim Cowan, he basically uses the conventional methods and numbers and actually shows you their relevance in their full context--which leaves you with basically what Erinjane suggests.

I know you don't have easy access to this stuff, but so much of what is practiced in light of the cholesterol issue just does not jibe with the research that's being conducted, and has been conducted, ever since Ancel Keys came up with the whole theory of Cholesterol and heart disease back in the late 50's. Even then, He never came to the conclusions that many doctors treat as gospel today, so for me, I operate on that data (heck, when the scientist you trace the theory back to says, "I never concluded that!", I have to wonder). I see your cholesterol levels at this point as a very good thing--given you've suffered an injury (it is evidence that the body is making an effort to heal itself, especially at the joints, since cholesterol does play a very big role in fighting inflammation and infection).

But I understand your fear about it, and the confusion. I just can't comment as though I go along with the cholesterol theory as it is practiced. To me it isn't medically or scientifically sound, so I try to present what I know and how I come to know it. At the least, what I want to do is give someone the possibility of approaching any problem with another option, that's all. I don't mean to confuse anyone--but some people find it helpful to know there is another view out there.
pepper
"when the scientist you trace the theory back to says, "I never concluded that!", I have to wonder"

chacha, the scientist whose work the "eat right for your type" book is based on called that book "gross extrapolation". it's amazing what people will do with a smidgen of good sounding research.

didja get my pm?
chachaheels
Yes, I did, pepper! Thanks...I was hoping I could email you an answer. I don't know if you've posted your email on your profile, but if you haven't I've posted mine. Oh, heck, I'll send you my email using the PM! Silly me.

I don't know that book "gross extrapolation", but I do know of D'Adamo's book, and I'm not in total agreement with it (mostly because much of the vegetation he says didn't exist millennia ago seems to exist when archeologists and paleantologists research it) and also all the blood types are about the same age. But people do seem to use his method and do well on it.
pepper
i meant the book 'eating right for your type'. the scientist said it was gross extrapolation. i'm a confusing girl! i'll email you.
chachaheels
Oh! Okay, yes, but a gross extrapolation of what? D'Adamo's not a scientist, he's an ND. He practices in Toronto.
pepper
oh my goodness, i am so botching this.
the book is based on some scientific research. the scientist whose research it is called the book gross extrapolation. did that make better sense?
chachaheels
You're not botching it. I get what you're saying. I just don't know which scientist it is who claims to have come up with the original idea.

The difference between that scientist and Ancel Keys is that it's Ancel Keys who's been saying (for what amounts to about 50 years now, and more often now that so much research contradicts the current medical beliefs about cholesterol and heart disease that is supposedly based on his original research) that he never wrote those conclusions or promoted them.

Trouble is, he never clarified himself either--and he let people come up with statin drugs, he let doctors tell patients to eat low fat foods and margarines, and as people became sicker and not healthier on a theory he promoted, he never spoke up. Or maybe he did (as he seems to be now), but he wasn't really heard since so many new treatment drugs and surgeries were on the market to treat the condition he described, and the market is huge.

In contrast, a lot of people think D'Adamo's book has been really helpful for them (not so much for the losing weight bit, which lots have done; but for actually forcing them back into eating unprocessed foods, fresh foods, foods they consciously decide to eat, etc. etc.). So the original proponent of the idea hasn't been responsible for the unprecedent growth of chronic disease just because D'Adamo extrapolated on his thoughts; but I don't think you could say the same thing about Keys' work.
persimmon_grrrl
hello all in the general health thread.

i have a question: are there any tips people have for shifting teeth/bruxism? i haven't had my wisdom teeth removed, and also wear a night guard to stop the wear on my teeth.

but, i can see and feel that my teeth are shifting (they hurt), and that my bite seems off.

i have been to dentists, and they either suggest: take out your wisdom teeth; don't take them out, and do relaxation exercises.

i live in a bad situation right now, and have a lot of stressors in my life, granted, unfortunately.

i'm wondering if people found ways to help mitigate tooth pain. spending $80-$100 on a dentist appointment for stopgap measures seems excessive, but necessary.

i've done jaw, neck, face, and shoulder relaxation exercises (not consistently). i'm not sure what to do. i wish i had more resources, more money, more health insurance. i've never had problems with my teeth, until a pretty traumatic thing happened, and then my bruxism became pretty bad. sometimes i run, sometimes i go to drop-in yoga, but very infrequently. i'm just worried about my teeth, and i'm young.

thanks for listenin'!

pg
chachaheels
It sounds like your wisdom teeth may be impacted. Has your dentist taken any xrays to figure out if this is happening?

It could also be a result of the traumatic thing you experienced--that's pretty common, illnesses or changes in the body that aren't healthy resulting from a traumatic incident. It's also not uncommon for stress to make bruxism more likely to take place, even a much more aggressive bruxism. It might help if you talked to your dentist about the trauma, as he/she may be able to offer some suggestions besides "relaxation" exercises.

Everything depends, as you do need to find out if there are any physiological changes taking place that could be making you feel so painful. Sometimes the only way to do that involves an exam.

For what it's worth, a lot of people say they've had relief from physical trauma (like jaw pain resulting from a car accident, or post surgical pain after wisdom tooth surgery) by seeing a chiropractor who gently realligns the bones in the body.

Most importantly: is there any way you can change any of the "bad situation" you're living in? Even if it means you make a temporary change now (just to get yourself out of it) and plan for a much more suitable situation to follow?
persimmon_grrrl
hi cch,

thanks for the reply. yes, my wisdom teeth are impacted. i have been looking steadily for work (interviews, applying), and looking for housing for the past three months. housing being predicated on jobs, i'm stuck on both fronts.

i don't have much money right now, and i am hoping to get a job that i will like, and also one that pays enough so that i can get dental procedures done.

i recently began seeing a counselor. as for dentists, i have been going to various ones, all men, and i feel more comfortable with women. i have written/stated my concerns, but my letter went unanswered, and they just continue calling, asking when i'll schedule the next appointment.

my trauma is not physical.

i know i need to leave, but it's really becoming quite difficult. every day i wake up, trying to make change, and every day, it feels harder. in the meantime, i am applying for jobs, telling everyone i know i need a job, and trying to keep myself calm and focused in the process.

do you know when is too old for wisdom teeth removal? unfortunately, i was away in college, then in another country, and was not able to get my teeth removed while insured under the people who had custody of me. i feel very angry about this, and have asked for help, and realize it's not worth my stress, and being played with emotionally. they seem to get a sick pleasure from it. there's no socially eye-brow raising reason to help me.

in the meantime, i read alice walker poems, like, "expect nothing. live frugally on surprise." it is not organic, how i'm feeling, but contextual. what else can i do. i am doing everything i know how.
chachaheels
I know you are (((((persimmon))))))). I can see that from your post. It does sound very, very difficult.

I don't think there is any "time limit" on when your impacted teeth can come out. I had to take mine out very early (I think I was 17 or so) because they were impacted and they were creating havoc. If my dentition were actually normal (it wasn't at all), I'd simply have just let them come out and there would have been no problem whatsoever with them, maybe just a little pain that comes from teething. Some people actually experience their growth early; others much later than what's considered the usual time. When they're impacted, they're growing and they force change on the jaw. That makes for a lot of pain because there are physical reallignments taking place which are, to say the least, unnatural.

I'd still recommend chiropractic--but, even better is cranial-sacral massage. That also helps deal with emotional stuff too. I asked about physical trauma as a cause because it's clear there are physical changes taking place in your jaw and in your temporal-mandibular joints. But I do know emotional trauma is just as much a factor as physical in all cases of illness or pain. In any case, the cranial-sacral massage may really make a huge difference.

Most practitioners in alternative health will try to accomodate you as a patient even if you have financial difficulty--it's something they should be open to discussing with you, so never be afraid to ask. As for dentists, consider it a good thing that the ones you've approached so far are not responding. You don't want to hire those dentists. Keep looking around. If you are in an area with a dental/medical school nearby, don't hesitate to see if they offer care via clinical practicum for their students. Students are always supervised by instructors with experience, and you may be able to get care for a fraction of the price. I can almost bet that part of the problem is physical in that the teeth are moving things around--but I also know you can't disregard that emotional aspect you called trauma. It's really important to deal with that once and for all, because I think it's the reason you've become susceptible to the physical changes and pain.

It's hard to stay positive--but imagine yourself looking for the perfect job, which will find you if you stay positive about it, and keep telling people you are looking. If the ones you're applying for don't work out, they weren't the jobs for you, so don't let those get you down and try to have faith that a perfect one for you will come up soon. Keep telling yourself the right job will surface, and keep imagining the type of job you'd really love to have. You tend to attract these things to yourself if you keep imagining them as yours, expecting them to become yours...and people usually go out of their way to help you find them too. So it really pays not to get discouraged.

I'm not sure Alice Walker was giving advice in that poem, so much as expressing a kind of emotional miserliness! Expect the very best for your efforts; let yourself enjoy the gifts of surprise whenever and wherever you encounter it. Try not to be impatient with yourself--you're working hard and trying your best, that is all activity to your credit. It might help to look into the suggestions above just as a means of taking your mind away from the idea that things can't be done in the meantime.

_octinoxate
(((persimmon))) It sounds like you're having a hard time with a lot of things, your teeth maybe being the least of it all. I wish I could say/do something to help, but I'm coming up empty-handed. It's hard to think of ways to deal with it under those financial constraints. The only thing that does come to mind is that even though sleep is a mysterious thing, I do believe that to some small extent we can (sometimes) control what we do in our sleep... I say that just because I've had experiences such as willing myself to dream/remember the dream (which never normally happens), and it has worked. Also, like you, I do teeth grinding in my sleep, and lately I've tried this strategy of reminding myself as I'm dozing off to keep my jaw slightly open in my sleep, and I notice I've been waking up in the morning with my jaw open! (Though who's to know if I'm like that all night...) Anyway, I guess it couldn't hurt to try, right?

Like chacha, I have never heard of any "time limit" on getting impacted teeth out. The only thing I have heard is that while sooner is better (to avoid further complications, infections, etc.), the adage "better late than never" also applies.

I originally came in here to talk about some other dental issues, but honestly, I'd feel lame having my freak out about my issues when persimmon has more serious stuff to contend with. Good luck with everything.
pollystyrene
Is there a dentistry school near you that you can go to, persimmon? They'll do procedures for less $ than a regular dentist. Downside- student who won't have as much experience, but they are supervised by professionals, so it's highly unlikely that anything will go wrong.

auralpoison
Why can't I find a good orthopedic surgeon that I like? Why are surgeons assholes? You're not god just because you went to medical school, bub! I've been hobbling around for nearly a week trying to find somebody good that doesn't speak to me like I'm a retarded twelve year old. At this point I want to go to a barber, have him lop it off & carve myself a new foot out of wood. I think I'd look quite dashing with a cane...
crazyoldcatlady
yeah, surgeons are assholes. it's not necessarily the medical school that does it to them, but the residency. the whole heirarchy is practically militarized, and the hostile atmopshere + lack of sleep/long hours + high stress/life-or-death scenarios turns the potential assholes into full-fledged.

i only go to women physicians.

(hey i know some men are great, and some women suck as physicians, but on the whole, why take your car to a mechanic who's never owned one? know what i mean?)
erinjane
I just wish I could find a good GP.
_octinoxate
Erin, have you tried a nurse practitioner instead? You might find it to be a whole different experience.
erinjane
Hmm...might be an idea. I just switched to a new doctor who is alright so far, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Heh, I wish I could go back to my pediatrician, he was awesome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.