Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The General Health Question Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
doodlebug
Does anyone know anything about progesterone supplements? As in, unusual side effects? Because my hair has started falling out, and I don't know why - the only changes in what I'm putting in my body have been the progesterone supplements. (I suppose it could have been caused by being sick and having surgery, but that was in February, and this hair loss has just starting becoming really noticeable in the last couple of weeks.)

It is totally vain, I'm sure, but I will NOT lose my hair.

The gyno is supposed to call me back this afternoon, and I will also ask him then. And he'd better not treat it like it's nothing. If I were a guy losing my hair, and freaking out, any male doc would be overly-empathetic.
chachaheels
laurenann, do you have a low grade fever?

Your symptoms do sound suspicious. And, lately, mono has been circulating among young adults in university at an alarming rate (very strange how many students come down with this disease in their first or second year).

I would go immediately to a doctor to have this diagnosed--and to make sure of what, exactly, is going on. Then, I would rest like mad and follow the doc's orders to stay away from others who might contract the disease until I was finished with it. (Actually I would call my homeopath, tell him my symptoms, tell him the aetiology, and take the remedy he would prescribe for me exactly as instructed. Either way, find out for sure, then rest until it's treated and follow the doctor's orders).

Doodle, it depends on what your progesterone supplements are made of (synthetic, or natural, or dioscorea derived). You could even be experiencing the alopecia as a result of the progesterone's presence in your system, but not entirely as a direct effect of the hormone on the body. If you're supplementing, you're putting millions of times more progesterone than your body would ever make in a cycle (or a lifetime, for that matter) so it is bound to cause the amounts of any or all other hormones in your body to either increase or decrease in response. Loss of hair (especially if it is like a thinning, or if it comes in spots) usually results from too much testosterone, for example. This is usually accompanied by an increased sex drive and hair growth on parts of the body where you don't want it (between thighs, on abdomen, on neck, chin, upper lip, or under arms). It could be that other hormones will increase in amount to try and rebalance the effect of the flood of progesterone in your body.

My books say (quoting pharmaceutical literature) that no "known" side effects from natural progesterone have been recorded: however, my homeopathic proving books list about 2 pages in fine print of the various effects of progesterone derived from plants such as wild yam. I haven't seen any specific mention of hair loss in the proving notes--but the symptoms you describe sound like another hormone is the cause. Not a direct effect, but an indirect one instead.

This is purely speculative because I don't know anything at all about your situation--but it may just apply. You should really have your doctor give you a saliva test to figure out exactly what's going on in your case (it tests for several hormone amounts and is more accurate than a blood test).
doodlebug
Thanks for the response, chacha...I was wondering about the synthetic vs. natural issue. Anyway, my gyno is supposed to call after 5 today, so I intend to ask him what's up, and I'll ask about the saliva test.

I am honestly not sure I need to be on progesterone. It's supposed to be for heavy periods, but I'm really not sure I meet the criteria. My periods are (were) 7-8 days, but my whole cycle is 5 weeks, not 4, and I've never been someone who soaked through pads or anything. Now, on the progesterone, I barely get any bleeding at all. It's more like spotting. I could do my entire period with pantyliners.

More stuff to ask him about....*le sigh* I have a desktop full of post-it notes with things I need to remember to ask...
doodlebug
Ok, well, I just spoke with the gyno, and I get to go off the progesterone. YAY! The reason, however, is so that my hormones can go back to doing their normal thing, so that I can be tested for polycystic ovarian syndrome, and have all my hormones tested, and my thyroid...all in about 2 months. The hair thing...I'm not sure, I'm kind of confused about it, but he seems to be convinced it's caused by cycling hormones, which we'll know more about when my hormones are tested, and that my hair will likely grow back. It better! I will not be able to cope with male-patterned baldness!

Also, I don't have uterine cancer. YAY!
erinjane
So I have a new one. I went to the doctor about the dizziness and he said it looked like a virus. It seems to be getting better now, although he wants to test me for anemia.

But now I have a new one, which I completely forgot to ask the doctor about. In the middle of my back, and in almost the same area but on my stomach, all these little spots have shown up. On my tummy they're about the size of small buttons and slightly darker than my skin tone, and when i shower they turn red and a little raised, and a few of them go up in a diagonal line. On my back there's one that's larger, about the size of a quarter and the same smaller sized ones that are on my tummy. They aren't raised, they just look like a bunch of discoloured spots that have suddenly appeared in the last two months.

I have zero ideas on this one.
cstars124
Doodle, I have heard about hair falling out due to hormonal stuff, so it might be realted to that and not male-patterned baldness. But more importantly...Yay for not having uterine cancer!

I also have a question, and I thought we had a thread for this at one point, I just don't remember what it was called, but I recently quit smoking. Recent as in today. And usually I smoke about 4-5 cigarettes a day, IF that and today, I only allowed myself one in the morning and that was it. And I'm having horrible headaches, which I'm assuming is normal and just part of the withdrawl process. However, I also just FEEL awful like I wanna crawl out of my skin. Is that normal? I can't even describe how I feel, it's like being depressed all over again. Does that make sense?
chachaheels
cstars, your symptoms are typical of withdrawal. Granted, you weren't taking in much to begin with (comparatively--many people smoke much, much more!). In any case, it does take a good 3 or 4 solid days to clear the chemical residues from nicotine out of the body. Expect a great deal of emotional upheaval and physical discomfort during that time....and be kind to yourself. You may want to avoid stressful situations and situations which would encourage you to pick up and start smoking again until this phase passes.

If I were quitting smoking all over again, I would take a very low dose of a homeopathic remedy called Nux Vomica, in possibly a 6c or 9c potency (they come in vials that you can pick up at most health food stores). It will help a great deal with the physical pains, digestive problems you may encounter, and the irritation, anger, and depression you might feel during this time, if you take 3 of the tiny globules any time you feel really stressed out or physically pained.

Good luck!

Doodle, good news about the uterine cancer--and great news about getting off the progesterone. It's a hormone I usually associate with couples who are trying to treat infertility, so I was wondering why you were given that treatment; and, as I said, natural or unnatural--they all cause a world of nasty symptoms to appear, many of which could alter your health forever. Anyway, if your cycles are normally 5 weeks long and you bleed for 7 days, there's really nothing wrong with that, as every woman has her cycle and there is no one "perfect" or "healthy" length for bleeding or cycles. If you're seeing drastic changes in your cycle all of a sudden, I'd be concerned and want to check to make sure all is well--but otherwise, I wouldn't think there was anything to fix.

doodlebug
cstars, when I quit smoking, I had a few headaches, but YES especially to the feeling of wanting to crawl out of your skin. Ugh. And it is depressing - nicotine boosts your seratonin, so without it...plop. You will probably sleep a lot, or you should. I remember feeling so on edge and so "outside" myself at the same time. The first three weeks is the worst - if you can make it that far, you stand a good chance. It might not be as bad for you, since you didn't smoke as much as I did. (I was at about 35 - 40 cigs a day.)

My "trick" (aside from the patch) was getting TONS of sleep (I'd come home from work, eat dinner, crawl into bed, and not get up till morning), drinking ice water, and eating candy. The real sugary candy, like the stuff you buy from the bins at the 7-Eleven. And black licorice. The boost from the sugar will help with your seratonin levels for awhile. (Though you have to quit the sugar eventually, too! Don't worry, it's nowhere near as hard as nicotine.)

EJ, I am as bewildered as you...?

ETA: hi chacha! Apparently the progesterone was mainly to stabilize me for and after the D&C, but he did mention a drug for lowering insulin...metformin, I think? That he might want to try me on after the testing, if it turns out to be PCOS. But yeah, on the phone today, he did keep referring back to my "heavy" periods, and even suggested surgery, even though I said a couple of times that I didn't think my periods were heavy. I think he must have been looking at his notes. (This is one of the reasons I hate talking on the phone instead of in person.) Anyway. So far, he's been fairly open to my thoughts, and also hasn't been pushy about me resisting some of his suggestions. I am worried that he might be a bit surgery-happy, but I'm pretty stubborn. So we'll see where this all goes. Thanks for your input!
emzee
Erinjane, are they raised at all or just against the skin? Are they itchy or flaky?
I had some patched of irritation one summer behind my knees and elbows. It was irritation from perspiration and I remember it being treated with a steroid cream. Mine were not too red, but were flat against my skin, often itchy. Have you been exercising a lot lately and perhaps wearing a shirt that is tight fitting/ not letting the perspiration evaporate?
juls
Erinjane/Emzee, it sounds like may have had ringworms. They're annoying, but can be slowly cleared with antifungal cream.
culturehandy
If they are itchy it could be impetigo. It's a rather nasty little skin infection, but it can be cleared up with cream. I had mine on the back of my knees. It got all scabby and pretty gross actually
chachaheels
Erinjane, if you do an image search on ringworm on Google (warning! Looks like a skin atlas when the images come up, and skin images can be horrific) you will see a number of ringworm lesions. They can be varied in appearance but they are usually round, with raised edges, about the size of a quarter for most people. They can appear anywhere. And there is no "worm" associated with it. It's a fungal infection.

Search for impetigo and you can find both bullous and non-bullous examples. It's quite a different skin affliction, caused by a bacterial infection (often staphylococcous infections).

These photos are awful and shocking so don't look if that can bother you. I've put the suggestion here so that Erin Jane can go and rule out or confirm that what she has might be either of the two skin symptoms.

That being said, it's impossible, and foolish, to try and figure out what they are without seeing them.

Is there any pain associated with it? Itchiness? Do the marks change their size or appearance (I know you mentioned they get redder after a shower--do you shower with colder or hotter water?); do they change their location? What do they do to the surrounding skin texture? Is there any exudate from the spots (watery, or whitish liquid, or a liquid that looks like honey?)
How long have they been there?

All good things to note, as a trip to the doctor is in order to rule out anything serious. From here, with the little information given, it seems like a case of eczema (especially since they change appearance after being exposed to water)...but they should still be looked at.
erinjane
I do plan to ask the doctor, but they aren't bothering me at all so I"m in no rush. I don't think it's ringworm, impetigo, or eczema though. I would post a picture but the ones on my back are easier to see and I can't take a picture of my back. I'm not surprised they get redder after a shower because I take extremely hot showers.

They're not raised, they're not itchy or dry, they're very small, and really they just look like discoloured tiny spots. The ones on my back look like tiny dots of tanned skin. The ones on my tummy are much lighter though, you can't really see them unless you know you're looking for them. They've been around probably 8 weeks, but haven't changed location, and no new ones have shown up in the last few weeks. I actually wouldn't have noticed them except for the fact I was checking out my tattoo in the mirror. Weird.

But they aren't bugging me so I'll just leave it alone until the next time I go to the doctor.
lapis
Help! My elbow itches. I have had eczema and the air quality is quite bad here, so I am wondering if it is some kind of allergic thing. It's not scaly yet, just read and bumpy and driving me mildly insane. Cortisone is out. Any suggestions?
culturehandy
Lapis, in my experience with eczema, which I used to get on my feet (which was horrible!), was to avoid synthetic materials, allow your skin to breath. I always used creams, I know that keeping it sweat free, and try using bath oatmeal, live aveno, or just plain old oatmeal when you have a bath.

chachaheels
Those are all good suggestions (and oatmeal baths are very soothing).

A Calendula cream would be a very gentle way of helping the skin heal, soothing any "burning" or itchiness, and keeping the area clean so that infection won't be a problem if the skin cracks. Another good idea is to use really pure coconut oil on the affected area (use the food grade kind--extra virgin, cold process, expeller pressed) and also eat a bit of it every day to support the body from the inside as well--it's got all kinds of really important fatty acids that will help the skin heal from the inside out.
kittenb
This looks like the best place for this question. My gyne has placed me on the South Beach diet to give me a carb/sugar fast. All of the sugar in my body has been turning into yeast and has made me sick and uncomfortable for awhile. I am on my second day of following the rules strictly but I started severly limiting myself with sugar 4 days ago (had to do some grocery shopping first before I could go all the way. All I had in my house was pasta and bread. blink.gif ) Yesterday, I noticed that my face is breaking out. I rarely get zits anymore and having five at one time is almost unheard of. Could this be another sign of my body "detoxing?" Thanks.
chachaheels
I think the idea of "detoxing" is irrelevant, because it's something your body does every damn minute of every damn hour of every damn day(and frankly the word is overused now, and it implies that our bodies are so inefficient they can't eliminate wastes properly--which is total BS...but when you are shocking the system in the way that you would when eliminating sugar the skin will actually begin functioning well. So you will see some skin symptoms come up as it does its job as an organ.

Which means you will have blemishes/acne/bumps/rashes for a short while on your skin. As the body becomes healthier, symptoms which used to manifest in the internal organs actually move out to organs located closer to the surface. The skin is the body's largest organ, but it is also the body's least vulnerable organ; so now you know that it's dealing with a lot of the stressors you aren't able to see taking place internally, on organs which are much deeper and more vulnerable. When symptoms appear on the skin you should know you're in a much healthier place--the skin's job is to create the symptom and deal with the disturbance (whatever that is--infection, irritation, whatever). That clears up rather quickly, and then the skin begins deal with stressors so effectively you won't get any of the symptoms you're having now. So the best thing to do is let the skin do it's job and avoid suppressing the skin symptoms in any way possible.

The skin can be helped in this job, however--drinking a lot of water (helps if you add a bit of lemon) will encourage eliminating wastes more quickly; using the Oil Cleansing method really seems to help people get past this part of their dietary change. It's also really important to make sure you are supplementing with nutrients you won't be able to get from your diet--such as potassium to help the kidneys deal with a higher protein load; essential fatty acids (omega 3's and 6's, preferably from fish oil/cod liver oil and oil of evening primrose, respectively), and sufficiently bioavailable B vitamins to replace these nutrients in the diet (since grains are restricted). You would usually get all of these necessities in foods that contain a lot of what you're trying to avoid (fruits, starchy vegetables, and grain products) so do be sure to supplement well.
kittenb
While I write this, I am drinking my lemon juice spiked water. It does seem to help.
You are right about the overuse of the word "detox." I am using it in casual conversation with most people because when I say "diet" first instead they always ask how much weight I am trying to use. And then my sugar deprived self wants to hit them.
Thank you for the information on the skin stuff. I am just taking care of it like normal so I won't make any changes. They do look worse today so your response really helps. What you wrote reminded me of what we learned in massage school that the body heals from the inside out. It just never occured to me that the inside ickiness would end up being "pushed" out. But I am glad it is a sign of progress.
candycane_girl
Okay, this might be kind of a silly question but I'm going to be moving to Toronto and I don't even know how to go about finding a new family doctor. Are there even any available? It seems like hardly any doctors actually take new patients anymore but I hate clinics.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
erinjane
Cities seem to usually have a 'find-a-doctor' hotline. I know winnipeg has one. Ah, found one on a quick google search. It's a start at least.

Find a Doctor
416-967-2626
http://www.cpso.on.ca
A service offered by The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, Find a Doctor, provides you with the names of Ontario physicians who are accepting new patients.
emzee
I was recently prescribed Diflucan, an anti-fungal, for my yeast infection. Is there anything that I should do (mostly diet-wise) to ward off side effects? For example: eat more yogurt while you're taking antibiotics...
chachaheels
Diflucan's an anti-fungal, it's not an anti-biotic. So it won't do you much good to eat yogurt to counteract any of its effects.

That being said, if you're prone to yeast infections, adding foods that are lactofermented and using acidophilus/bifidus and other live culture pro and pre-biotics will help you eliminate the yeast (the diflucan is rarely effective with this, but it can give some people temporary relief). You can find the most effective types of these supplements at a health food store or holistic dispensary (a pharmacy that also specializes in practitioner-driven supplements, used by alternative practitioners to treat diseases in their patients).

Some brands to look for: Genestra/Seroyal--they make several pro-and pre-biotics formulations that you can take every day to restore the proper balance in the body. They have a line called "HMF" which is one of the best formulations of live cultures on the market, simply because they feature live culture Human Microflora in a perfect balance. The "forte" preparations in their line have very high culture counts -- always above 12 billion per dose. When you are dealing with systemic disease like yeast and fungus, these high counts make a vast difference in your recovery.

Jarrow also makes a very high potency probiotic that can be carried (doesn't require constant refrigeration). Their product isn't based on human micro flora but does have very good strains of probiotic cultures, again, in very high counts.

Some foods that you can add to your diet to help maintain a restored microflora balance are: kombucha and kvass--these are lactofermented drinks you can buy or make which help make your immune system response to yeast far more powerful; lactofermented foods such as pickles and sauerkraut (the real stuff, that you buy from a fridge in the grocery store) and if you have access to them, raw milk/cream/butter and cheeses. Yogurt is fine, but most of it on the market has been overpasteurized and then shot full of "cultures" in very small amounts...there are exceptions, and the best kind of yogurt for health is the organic, full fat kind, unflavoured and unsweetened; kefir, which is similar to yogurt, is also another food you might like to try.

Boric acid suppositories are far more effective at relieving the yeast infections for so many women (far more effective than the diflucan or nystatin-type drugs given to women).
emzee
Yep. I knew that anti-fungals aren't the same as antibiotics, but i just put in the yogurt example so that you knew what I was talking about.
You answered my question perfectly. I was looking for diet changes to help out too. Thanks chachaheels!
I'll look into boric acid. Do they come in "vitamin" form or are they usually prescription?
chachaheels
Sorry about that emzee! Didn't mean to sound condescending. Anti-fungals don't kill off microbes, but they do eliminate fungals and yeasts temporarily, no matter whether or not they're beneficial (and many are).

Hence the need for good yeasts to go back on in!

Boric acid comes in suppositories--they're sold without a prescription here (anyplace that has a compounding lab) but you may have to ask your doctor for them. Some compounding pharmacies keep them in stock as do some health food stores and you can just order them up or buy them from their stock.
emlikesart
Gals, I need help!!! I think I have a boil on my outer labia...it started out about 2 weeks ago as a very tiny lump, which I thought was a pimple or something. I left it alone to go away on its own. But now it is bigger, and hurts like hell. It is about the size of a very small grape (bigger than a b-b, but smaller than a regular grape). It's right at the top of my right labia....WHAT SHOULD I DO???

Since it has been there for a while now, I am considering calling the doc, but should I do anything in the mean time? Hot compress??

Thanks in advance for any advice!
chachaheels
It would be good if you could have someone examine it, so that you know what it is (or, maybe you have some idea? An ingrown hair? An abscess?). You want to rule out the possibility that it is any kind of sexually transmitted disease, for one thing. Call your doctor and make sure it's a simple little boil, to be safe.

If it is an abscess, Silica Tissue Salts can get it to open and clear very quickly, and then heal up again, with a minimum of pain and fuss (and it's a better way of clearing things out than just having it lanced).
emlikesart
Thanks, ChaCha. I've made an appointment with the gyno to rule out anything weird. Hurts like the dickens though...
chachaheels
That's good, em. Always good to be safe.
ChiqsRUs
QUOTE(msgoofball @ May 4 2006, 11:40 AM) *
my ankles are swollen from standing so much cuz of my career(hair stylist). anyone have any suggestions to help reduce the swelling...? i did ice last nite and it didn't seem to help..felt good though.

If general foot and ankle swelling is a problem and your feet are your career I suggest
A) putting them up
cool.gif a spa pedicure once a week. It sounds ever so vain and strange but those ladies work magic, take care of your feet, rub your feet and ankles, soak them, remove dead skin and let you sleep in the chair.....half an hour later you might just have magic worked on those tootsies!!!
pollystyrene
Does anyone know of some kind of soothing balm-like substance I can put on my vaginal area when it's irritated? I discovered a painful zit right at the opening this morning and it's been really itchy and raw all day. For now I'm just going to do vaseline, because it's the only thing I can think of (I'm sure that's horrible for me for some reason, but it's better than scratching all night.)....if it's something homemade, I can do it.....right now, it's just so raw and painful.
chachaheels
Does the vaseline (as in, petroleum jelly I assume) help?
If it does, you may want to just continue using it. It's not the purest thing available, but petroleum has been used to treat skin eruptions and itchiness (as in eczema and psoriasis) for a long time. It may just cause the pimple to form a white head, though; and you'll have to keep yourself from wanting to squeeze it open because it will get infected.

Other options: tea tree oil applied topically to ease the itch and to keep the area disinfected; a calendula cream in a base that doesn't include petroleum (like a glycerin/rosewater base) used only till the pimple clears; or topical applications of essential oil of lavender to soothe the area.

You are 100% certain that it's a pimple, though, and nothing else?
pollystyrene
It did help, actually. I wasn't itchy for the first part of the day, until it wore off, from wiping and just oozing out. I guess I'd like something that will help it heal a little more....yeah, pretty sure it's a pimple. I haven't looked at it (it's about as deep as it could be without being internal, so who knows if I'd actually see it. I'll try not to pop it. If it doesn't go away in the next couple of days I'll look into some of those other options. I really want something like a ChapStick (lip balm) for down there. I wonder if the yogurt treatment you use for yeast infections would help. It just gets so miserable.

Can I get that calendula cream at a health food store? Maybe Whole Foods?

Grr, something else I was going to say and now I can't remember.....I think it's affecting my memory rolleyes.gif
chachaheels
Yes, you can get the calendula cream at Whole Foods--the ones up here stock some homeopathic remedies and the labs which make those also make the calendula creams, so I don't know if the same ones are available there. When I was in the States recently one lab, Hyland's, gave me a sample of Calendula cream which isn't sold up here in Canada. It's in an olive oil/soy lecithin/glycerine base, and it has lavender oil in it as well. It's called Hyland's Skin Therapy Calendula cream--you might want to see if Whole Foods carries that one in a store near you (or go to www.hylands.com and order directly). Personally my favourites (and most effective) come from Helios labs in the UK or UNDA in Belgium. Whole Foods may carry those!

Salt water baths are also good at easing itchiness, and salt water is a natural healer. You could pour a bath an add a cup of course salt to the tub--nothing else--and just soak for a few minutes.

If you're suffering from this itchiness regularly, then it might be something like a yeast infection (you don't have to have discharge, it's not the only symptom or sign), or signs that things are unbalanced hormonally somewhere (either in the sex organs, or as a result of glandular dysfunction anywhere in the body). There might also be other reasons--infections, STDs, any number of causes. It really would be good to find out exactly what is going on, particularly if this persists. Then you can take the proper steps to fix the problem (and that's better than just a cream you apply topically, indefinitely).

Hope this is helpful to you!
pollystyrene
Thanks! I pass a Whole Foods on the way home so I'll be stopping there today.

I remembered what I was going to say- I occasionally do have itching/rawness, and at one time I tried Vagisil, but it's so annoying because rather than soothing, it just makes you numb. Horrible feeling.

Anyway, I've had one yeast infection in all my life (sorry, you chronic yeastie girls- don't throw things!) and when I've had this problem before, I tried a yeast infection treatment and it didn't really help. The one thing I've noticed is that it seems like around my period, I get itchy, raw, and dry. My theory is that my pH changes and I irritate myself. This doesn't happen with every cycle and it doesn't usually happen in between, but I think it showed up this time because of this pimple thing- I think I irritated myself when I was poking around.
erinjane
My niece developed a rash on her face yesterday, and today it's gotten worse and spread to her shoulder. Her pediatrician is out of town and the replacement is booked up till Tuesday. We're going to try and take her to the walk in tomorrow, but does anyone know what this might be?

Her daycare thought it was maybe impetigo, but it doesn't really like that. First it looked like hives but not so much anymore, they're a little redder now, but not oozing and they don't really seem to be itchy.

(I feel like I'm in here all the time with health questions) tongue.gif
chachaheels
It's hard to tell without in person examination, (though the pictures are good) but it looks like eczema or psoriaisis from here--though it could be something else. On quick glance, given the location (sure it isn't happening anywhere else?) that is what it seems like.

I'd want to know:

Does it hurt/itch/burn?
Does it flake and ooze (or did it?) or is it dry? If it oozed, what colour/texture was the liquid?
Does the skin feel hot where the "rash" appears?
Has there been recent use of an anti-biotic or vaccine? If so, and in either case, for what? If the rash follows a vaccination, what vaccine or vaccines were given?
Is there any evidence of asthma in the case?
Are there any accompanying symptoms (fever, irritability, sensitivity of the skin, sensitivity to various foods, change in appetite)

If it is psoriasis or eczema, it's a very common thing in children, and it should be left alone (skin should be kept clean and dry) and you can start adding various nutrients in the diet to improve overall skin health and development. The worst thing to do is to suppress the skin symptoms in any way (say, with the use of steroid creams). The rash will go away, but you will find that new symptoms, more serious symptoms, will develop--usually in the lungs (which are usually diagnosed as "allergic asthma"). Also, steroid creams will make the skin thinner, prone to breaking and infection.

A visit to the walk-in clinic should include some tests to ensure that the skin symptoms aren't arising from things like scabies (there is a tell-tale location of that kind of rash--usually in creases of body such as underarms, the bend in the knees, spaces between fingers and toes, etc) or molloscum contagiosum, or various types of herpetic rashes ("sixth" disease or even shingles--I'd be on the look out for that one if the child has just had a chicken pox vaccine). There are all kinds of contagious rashes to rule out too.

********************************************************************************
Polly, if you're noticing that this flares up around your period, it could still be a yeast infection (they are systemic, not just local--meaning just because you don't get the discharge vaginally doesn't mean you are not infected with yeast in the body) which flares up when hormones vary; or, it can be related to hormone imbalances and be separate from yeast. I wouldn't rule yeast out at all yet (and can you tell I'm going to encourage you to go and check it out further?)
erinjane
Thanks for the quick reply, chacha. I really hope we can get her in somewhere tomorrow, just because it seems to be spreading somewhat.

She said it itches, but she only said that after we started making a fuss of them (she's only 4), so I don't really think they itch much. So far they just seem dry, not oozing, no liquid, and it doesn't feel hot there. No medications or vaccines recently, and no one else at her daycare has any signs of it, last we heard. She does have mild asthma, but she's not having current problems with it. No other symptoms.

I was the one who noticed it yesterday on her face. First we thought it was a rash from the sunscreen, but now it's spread. However, it could still be a rash from that. I always just feel bad when she has something wrong with her. Kids shouldn't be allowed to get sick when they're only 4.
pollystyrene
I will, chacha- I'm in between insurance right now, having just started a new job last week. For the past few years, I've been seeing a GP for my yearly exam, and I love her, but it's not the same as going to a gynecologist. In the next few years I want to wean myself off the BCP if possible (I have PCOS, so they do more than just prevent pregnancy.) so I plan on seeing a real gynecologist and figuring out what the hell's going on with my girl parts. As soon as I get insurance again.

Oh, I stopped at Whole Foods and they didn't have the Hyland's but they had this stuff. I haven't put it on yet- I'll let you know how it goes.

And good luck, erinjane, on figuring out that rash- I'm itchy just lookin' at it!
chachaheels
Hi Again!

Polly, the Boiron stuff is fine. It's a gel though--which can be irritating on the skin (and one reason I always look for a cream base). As long as the gel doesn't dry or irritate you should do well with that.

If you're on the pill, and you have PCOS, then, yes, it's very possible whatever is happening, yeast or not, is hormone related (if not induced). A gyno/endocrinologist would be the ideal person to seek out for conventional treatment, which usually focuses around using different hormones for treatment.

But there are lots and lots of effective ways to treat this disease (and I'm going to say cure, too, because you can cure it) using alternatives. If and when you need some information on that, just ask--I'll send you a variety of resources to help you learn about the different methods you can use. Then you can decide which is best for you, and find a good practitioner to manage your case back to health.

ErinJane--it could be a skin sensitivity to the sunscreen product OR the product combined with sun exposure...
And I know what you mean about kids and getting sick, you never want to see them suffer. But kids do (and actually have to) get all kinds of skin ailments as part of the natural development of the skin itself, and so many of them just need a bit of soothing with a very mild emollient cream and some time--no other treatment. If it really isn't causing her a lot of grief, then it may just go quickly (and, if it is the cream, come back whenever it's applied again). But I'm sure you'll be able to figure out what it is.
pollystyrene
I was a little put off by the gel thing, too, but they didn't have any cream based ones....this morning, I am happy to report that it's about 90% better. It's still a little itchy, but the pimple's gone down and the skin feels like it's healing.

My BGP recommended her former gyno, who practices at a progressive holistic women's clinic. She stopped going there because they no longer accepted her insurance, but she says she's very good. As soon as my insurance kicks in, I'll find out if she's on the network. Funny thing is, I discovered that she's a patient at my cousin's dental office where I now work!
thingsarenice
Has anyone here ever sold her eggs? I've been thinking about it and was curious as to others' experiences with it.
candycane_girl
I was wondering if you wonderful ladies could give me some info. I'm taking a pill and one of the possible side effects that was listed was vaginitis. Lucky me, I've been experiencing that side effect. Anyway, I've been looking up vaginitis on the internet and it hasn't been too helpful. It's not a full on yeast infection but it's tender and painful and slightly itchy. I've heard that eating yogurt can help but then I also read somewhere that a cure is to douche with yogurt but I've always heard that douching is bad. I'm so confused. Help please!
chachaheels
CCG, what's the pill? It's probably a better idea to just use probiotics.
Mazhanka
Dear Ladies
Just have a little problem.. I had a brake from the pill for a month and my period is almost two weeks late now.. Is it normal? And not mentionining spots and breast increase.. I've done pregnancy test twice and everything seems to be fine, but the period is not coming.. Scared.. sad.gif
erinjane
candycane, I always use yogurt (plain with active bacterial cultures). I've actually never heard anyone call it a douche, because it's not really a douche, you're not trying to clean out your vagina. I have diabetes so I use one of my needles and break off the need part, suck up some yogurt with the plunger and insert it into my vagina before I go to bed, then it stays inside all night. I've never eased OTC yeast infection medication, but from my understanding, this is the same way some of them work (putting it in and leaving it in).
candycane_girl
It's called Minocin. It's for my acne and it's working but this is the side effect. I went to my doctor today because I just couldn't take it anymore. He told me to cut down on the dosage and then he prescribed me a cream and a package of yeast infection medicine.

I swear, if men had vaginas they wouldn't approve medications like this!
ourcrazycatlady
My sister has used plain old vinegar for a yeast infection. She heard about it on her mommy board. I thought you might want to dilute it? She said she used it in the tub. I would do more research before ever trying it, but it's cheap and readily available in most homes. smile.gif

BTW, I know somebody's daughter must eat a yogurt a day or she gets an infection. I notice taking acidopholis (sp?) supplements help ward off (not cure) if I suspect I have something.

Sorry this post is sorta all over the place.
LustfullyPink
Okay, so, my question is pretty embarassing, and slightly disgusting, But I've got to know if there's something wrong with me.

This morning, I got out of the shower, looked down to admire my shaving job and saw something that on first glance I thought was a tampon string. I was like "Oh shit, I left a tampon in for two weeks?!" then I looked back and saw it was a string of mucousy type stuff about three inches long just hanging from my vagina. I had oral sex the night before, and my smell has been a bit stronger than usual recently, but nothing yeasty or fishy. Does anyone know what could be going on?
hellotampon
That's normal and not disgusting at all. Pay attention from now on after you go pee. Sometimes you'll see a string hanging down. It's just cervical fluid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.