Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The General Health Question Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
kittenb
faerietails2 - lot of my massage clients get that kind of pain and I do to (if it is what I am thinking of.) It sounds like you might have developed a trigger point, sort of a spot in your muscle that it hyperactivated, always on. You could try to use a hot compress or rotate hot and cold compresses. A good massage with steady gentel neck work would also help. And some stretching. Turn your head so that your chin is resting over your collar bone opposite (189 degrees) the side that hurts and then stretch your you neck so that your chin gets closer to to your collar. You can use your hand as a guide but don't use it to tug your neck too far. Once you feel it stretch, you are stretched. Hold that for at least 20 seconds. If you exhale while stretching you will get more movement. Repeat two more times.
One thing that I have learned is that neck work can sometimes give a client a headache immediatly afterwards but it feels better in the long run. Good luck!
CarrieBradshaw
hi everyone -- i know this is a little off topic, but anyone ever tried StriVectin - SD for old stretch marks???? I've been thinking of trying it for some stretch marks I got during adolescense (growing into a women's body too fast, I guess smile.gif ).....thoughts???? Thanks!!! smile.gif
pepper
didn't do anything for me personally but we all have different skin.
djennma2000
Okay--here's a question, since I didn't see a "PMS" thread here...

Any of you suffer from PreMenstrual Fatigue? I mean, it comes around like CLOCKWORK!! About 5-8 days up until I start, I get almost narcoleptic--which, given that I'm a working single mom who's trying to take care of herself, her parents, AND her 7 yr old daughter AND go to Nursing school too...well, it's NOT GOOD. There's a liquid iron supplement called Floradix that I've taken when it gets REALLY bad, and it helps some, but the constipation I get from taking it makes me almost want to fight sleeping! :/

Any ideas?
candycane_girl
There isn't a PMS thread but there is Bloody Grrls which covers all things period related.
quietmadness
I don't know if it's ok to post this here, but here goes:

I've been having these "aches" (hell, it's pain, not an ache) for about a year now. I'm 41, so I haven't paid too awful much attention to it, figuring it's early arthritis, or whatever. Anyway...

About a year or so ago, I started having a significant "ache" in my left knee. Then it went away there, and moved to the RIGHT knee. Now the RIGHT knee aches all the time, every day. At night time, all the muscles around the right knee feel kind of hot, but not to the touch. The "hotness" feeling is something I'm feeling inside the muscles. It's wierd. unsure.gif

Then, if that's not enough, my ELBOWS started aching really badly too. First, it was the left one, it got better, now it's in the RIGHT one. Now the RIGHT one hurts all the time. Night and day. If I hold the right arm perfectly straight, it hurts more. If I bend it slightly, it seems to help. The pain kind of radiates up and down the arm, but again---the muscles feel hot from the inside of the arm, not to the touch. It hurts mostly around the elbow/knee joint---it's not all up and down the arm or up and down the whole leg. Oh---the pain wakes me up at night from the elbow, too. mellow.gif

I wake up with serious headaches, almost every day. Almost feels like I'm having a stroke they're so serious. I feel like a train wreck, y'all... sad.gif

Anybody got any ideas what this might be??

Thanks!
--Quiet--
quietmadness
BUMP
pollystyrene
Hmm, the only thing I can think of is maybe a pinched nerve or something, quiet. I'd definitely get it looked at, though. Have you tried taking ibuprofen in the meantime? The hotness sounds like inflammation to me.

Don't know about the headaches, but it sounds miserable.

Sounds like the kind of stuff that accupuncture might help, but it were me, I'd definitely see a doctor first.
crazyoldcatlady
quiet, have you ever had a rheumatologic work-up? the hot joints thing is concerning; the fact that they're not hot to the touch kind of moves the differential away from rheumatoid arthritis, but an immune system thing is possible, esp. in the setting of headaches. any swelling over the joints? past injury to any joints? skin changes? new medications? history of gout, osteopenia/porosis, osteoarthritis?

get examined by your doctor, see what she says (referral?), and go get some blood work (ESR, CRP, CBC for starters...)
crinoline
So the boy went to bed last night feeling icky and woke up with a fever and chills.

His fever is now 101.7, and he says he is freezing. He has a hacking cough and a mild runny nose, though no sore throat. He has a severe headache as well.
I'm in here to ask for some good old fashioned cold treatment advice. I know to push fluids, so I'm pouring water and chicken soup down his grumpy throat. Is there anything else that I should/shouldn't do for him?
crinoline
I want to add that he has a possibly unrelated rash in both armpits and along the outside of his hips, that he's had on and off for several days that we've chalked up to dry skin/allergies. The rash is a series of painless small red circles, slightly raised. It looks like hives to me, but now I'm worried that it may be connected to his flu symptoms.
fever, weakness/fatigue, joint pain, cough, but no sore throat. chills on and off
mollychan
crinoline: sorry to hear about your boy! i wish i had some genius advice, but he should get to a doctor, stat. sounds like he might need antibiotics.

and on a completely random note: does anyone here have experience with allergy shots? i've been having asthma-like reactions to... something... for over six months now and my doctors are recommending the shots as a solution. i think what's happening is a "laryngeal spasm" - so they say - and all other medications they've prescribed me haven't been working, but i'm not sure if i'm ready to commit the time and money to allergy shots.
jsmith
Question for Biology authorities:
There's something about Meiosis 1 that I just can't reconcile. You begin with one diploid mother cell, and you have DNA replication during Interphase. Skipping to Telophase 1 and cytokinesis, wouldn't you have two diploid cells? My anatomy book is saying that the end result of Meiosis 1 is two haploid cells. That doesn't sound right to me. I know in Meiosis 2 that you end up with 4 haploid cells. If you begin Meiosis 2 with two haploid cells, would you not end up with 4 cells with only a quarter of the diploid number?
Can anyone clear this up for me?
crinoline
sorry jsmith, your question made my eyes cross, lol.

Just popping in to report that I (almost literally) dragged the boy to the doctor today. After a four hour wait (student health clinic) he got a shot and now he's fine.
pollystyrene
Yeah, you may want to try posting that in the general knowledge base thread, too, jsmith.
jsmith
Okay, I'll do that.
jsmith
Wait, what forum is that thread in? I've been gone for eons.
candycane_girl
It's in Media Whores.
culturehandy
Bumped for MoodyMart.
konphusion26
Is there a phobia or irrational fear thread??
pollystyrene
Quietmadness, you out there? Did you see someone?
sexysandee
QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Feb 13 2008, 03:36 AM) *
Is there a phobia or irrational fear thread??

if you find one let me know, I need that one too
lananans
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I'm watching Stephen Colbert and Leonard Nimoy is on and he has something called the full body project:
http://www.leonardnimoyphotography.com/7body.htm

and is talking about positive body image. I think its great.
konphusion26
QUOTE(sexysandee @ Feb 14 2008, 12:25 PM) *
if you find one let me know, I need that one too

SANDEE!!! The phobia/fear thing is under the NEW OCD/Anxiety thread (in Our Bodies Our Hells). CrazyOldCatLady bumped it for me!! She's awesome.
konphusion26
Okay so for the last 24 hrs I've been experiencing this dull to sharp pulsating pain in what seems to be close to my left ovary/fallopian tube. It comes and goes, but when it comes it makes me flinch really hard. I am not sure what is going on and I dont really want to go to the doctor. Any ideas or experiences similar to this???

This ish really hurts. I have had kidney stones before, UTI's, etc. and this doesnt feel like that. I also have an issue with recurrent bv.... i'm hoping that I dont have a pelvic infection, that would SO SUCK!

ellievee
QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Feb 18 2008, 08:12 PM) *
Okay so for the last 24 hrs I've been experiencing this dull to sharp pulsating pain in what seems to be close to my left ovary/fallopian tube. It comes and goes, but when it comes it makes me flinch really hard. I am not sure what is going on and I dont really want to go to the doctor. Any ideas or experiences similar to this???

This ish really hurts. I have had kidney stones before, UTI's, etc. and this doesnt feel like that. I also have an issue with recurrent bv.... i'm hoping that I dont have a pelvic infection, that would SO SUCK!

i have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). in short, it's a condition in which there are hormonal imbalances in your body and it can cause many different symptoms. mostly, for me, anyway, irregular periods. it's kind of like every cycle, when my body was supposed to release an egg during ovulation, instead of it becoming a period, it'd become a cyst on my ovaries. sometimes they would burst, and it would feel exactly like what you're describing. chances are, you don't have this, but that's exactly what happened to me before i was treated. here's some information on it.

edit: if you're familiar with your cycle and think you might be ovulating, or close to that point, it may just be painful ovulation. it's also uncommon, but might be another explanation. info.
newo_ikkin
I have been experiencing the strangest symptoms in the past 48 hours. I started with a very sore throat that progressed to my inability to swallow early Sunday evening. I got a fever and chills and basically felt like dying all night. Took a bath after my 9 1/2 hour shift and went to bed. Fever was still there this morning but was gone by noon. I felt better until about 3 pm, when I got really congested. Fever came back during my night class, my glands aren't very big and there's no white spots on my throat.

These symptoms keep changing on me! I'm very prone to sinus infections, which is what it feels like now. But its hard to tell. My mom thinks its a viral infection, so going to the doctor won't do me any good. But if it is sinusitis I want to get on antibiotics asap. I just don't want to spend time and money if it's not necessary.

Have any of you experienced symptoms like this before? Any advice?
konphusion26
QUOTE(ellievee @ Feb 18 2008, 09:54 PM) *
i have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). in short, it's a condition in which there are hormonal imbalances in your body and it can cause many different symptoms. mostly, for me, anyway, irregular periods. it's kind of like every cycle, when my body was supposed to release an egg during ovulation, instead of it becoming a period, it'd become a cyst on my ovaries. sometimes they would burst, and it would feel exactly like what you're describing. chances are, you don't have this, but that's exactly what happened to me before i was treated. here's some information on it.

edit: if you're familiar with your cycle and think you might be ovulating, or close to that point, it may just be painful ovulation. it's also uncommon, but might be another explanation. info.

Hey ellie! Yeah I'm familiar with PCOS, a doctor once told me I had that but never found any cysts when they did the ultrasound. Go figure. LOL I never know what my cycle is doing, as i've had pretty crazy hormone problems for years now. It could be a cyst or a pelvic infection or something. I just dont want to go to the doc so they can look confused as I am and pump me full of antibiotics in hopes they'll cure whatever is going on. And then of course the antibiotics give me yeastie beasties. WOOHOOO! LOL I'm just going to try and wait this out. If the pain is still here in a few days, I guess i'll have no choice but to get checked out. I'm sincerely hoping i'm not pregnant, which I doubt.
pollystyrene
I have PCOS, too, and had the same thing, konphusion- ovarian cysts that couldn't be detected on an ultrasound. That was years before I was diagnosed. I know they were there, though. I also had sometimes painful ovulation; not always super-painful, but I could definitely at least feel it every month.

Several years later I was diagnosed with PCOS and the funny thing is that ovarian cysts aren't even always present. The name is kind of a misnomer. It's more of a hormonal-imbalance that can cause cysts, but not always. There's lots of other [fun, wonderful- ha, ha] symptoms that can occur.

Newo, I think that if I ever had an inability to swallow I'd get myself to a doctor quick. That's not something I'd mess around with.
ellievee
konphusion, that's the crazy thing about PCOS, a lot of women have it, without the cysts (so the name is deceiving!). if your hormones are all out-of-whack and you have irregular periods, you may have it. i had these problems too, going SO long without a period then POW! if you do have it, the most they can do is put you on hormonal birth control to regulate things. it works pretty well for me! even a low-dose birth-control will help regulate, if you're worried about the effects of it on your fertility (like i was). if you have cysts this time maybe, sometimes they laser-zap them (not as painful a procedure as it sounds).
regardless, good luck solving the mystery, hope you are well!
konphusion26
Its all good ladies, the pain finally stopped (praise God!). I actually felt great today, went and took care of some bizness early this morning. However, when I was about to take a shower tonight I noticed I have a damn yeast infection (I think I talked it up!!). Which is very odd to me because I have no idea where it came from. I swear its like a never ending battle with my lady parts! LOL Luckily for me, boric acid is my friend. I fill my own capsules.

Thinking about what you said about birth control... I was actually on Yaz not too long ago and it made my boobs swell and hurt - but it cleared my skin and regulated me cycle. I dont know why I stopped taking them. Probably cuz I"m a jackass when it comes to taking pills and medicine. HAHA. Oh that and I lost my job and my insurance so I couldnt go to the doc to get it refilled after I ran out.
jularee
Hi ladies! I just purchased Smartballs: http://www.sediva.com/10243.html to tighten my PC muscles. Do any of you ladies have any experience with them? Do they work? I just received my package today so I'm very excited to try them out. smile.gif
obelix2
Konphusion-- where on earth do you get your boric acid?!? I searched all around, and have resorted to buying the commercial stuff, which is expensive and has GREEN plant matter in it. Rather distressing. I've filled my own capsules before with other stuff (fenugreek - I was trying to make my armpits smell like maple syrup), and there's a place in town that sells them, but I haven't found the boric acid anywere, even online.

Jularee- I got nothing, sorry. I tried some once for a few minutes, but didn't do any exercises with them.
konphusion26
Hey obelix hunny! I actually purchased my boric acid (12 oz) and my gel caps on amazon.com; I'm an amazon junkie LOL And its pretty cheap!!! I think for both its like 9 bucks and some change -plus shipping of course. Search around the site and you may find it cheaper.

Here's the link...
obelix2
Geez, I feel like a booger-eating moron now. I swear I know how to use the Google machine, but evidence would point to the contrary. Thanks a bunch! I'm off to order myself some magic cooter powder.
lisa1
Hello,
I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place. I just noticed that inside my vagina, there is a white film-like appearance. I don't know how else to describe it other than when I look in there, it looks white inside instead of the usual pink. What's strange about it is it doesn't go away with washing or wiping, and when i touch it, I don't end up with any of it on my finger (visibly) and it doesn't seem to 'move around' like regular discharge. Its really freaking me out. i have an appointment in a few days but I'm just looking for some input/support. Thanks,
Lisa
Also, I should note I do have HSV1 but haven't ever had a symtom like this one before...and I was tested recently (pap and std) and it came back all clear - only been with one person since then and there was only a finger inside me, no sex...anyway i posted this in two other places , hopefully its nothing
konphusion26
OMG I think my husband is coming down with a really bad cold or dare I say it **gasp** the flu... YIKES. He is totally miserable and stuffy and achy and I dont have a clue what to do for him. This man never gets sick. Chacha, do you know of any home remedies for flu-like symptoms???
candycane_girl
I think I've asked about this before but has anyone experienced bad cramps after having an orgasm? It's so weird and I don't know why it happens but it's like I have a great orgasm and then afterwards it feels like horrible menstrual cramps. Should I just ask my doctor about it?
ellievee
candycanegirl, i know exactly what you're talking about! this has just recently been happening to me (not every time, only sometimes)...i'll lay down after sex and have period-like cramps, and cramps in my sides and back. i was thinking it might be just strained muscles from having sex, but we haven't been doing anything differently at all (no crazy positions, etc), and i'm not close to my time of the month. now i have an almost constant ache in my belly and sides that feels like cramps, and gets worse after orgasm, it's been there about six days... i was also wondering about going to the doctor, i think i will call soon if it doesn't stop.
candycane_girl
I don't have the constant pain though. I've been lucky the past couple of times with the cramps not being as strong but I hate the idea of having sex and then being in pain after having an orgasm.
chachaheels
Ooops! I'm late in responding.

My "home remedies" for flu are down to one thing-- a dose of Boiron's Oscillococcinum. You can buy this at any health food store in North America; if you're elsewhere and you can get to a homeopathic lab, order up a vial of Anas Barbaritae 200c. The Oscillococcinum packaging has very misleading directions for use--so disregard them. But the packages usually have three tubes of the medicine inside. I simply put a tube in my purse, or in my coat pocket--somewhere I can easily reach it if I feel flu-ish. The minute I start to feel it, I take a dose. They're tiny little pills so I just open the vial up and put all the pills under my tongue and let them dissolve.

You can use this remedy during a specific window of time, when your flu symptoms will match the symptoms of the remedy--sore throat, achiness all over the body, chilliness, weakness...basically that first point where you think to yourself, "I must be coming down with something." TAKE THE REMEDY RIGHT AT THAT POINT! Don't wait, if you can help it. If you can take it exactly at that time, you can stop the flu dead cold, complete reversal of all symptoms, within minutes.

If you wait, however, then your symptoms will become much more individualized and they'll no longer match the flu symptoms of the remedy. So, it may do some good to give you relief, but it's far less likely to. If you're seeing a homeopath for constitutional treatment, giving him or her a call to let them know you're coming down with the flu will allow them to ask you about your specific symptoms and come up with a more suitable remedy for you, which will do the trick better than the oscillococcinum at that point. But I find the Oscillo'/Anas Barbaritae 200c really does help a lot of people avoid getting sick with the flu (and gives you a far saner alternative than taking the flu shot). It's easy to find, cheap, and effective when used at the right time (again, can't stress enough that you ignore the "instructions" on the carton and use the medicine as a homeopath would instruct you to do so, instead). And kids can take it too, with no fear of side effects or anything.

If you're experiencing pain after sex often it's not really anything other than prostaglandins (it's what can cause cramps for many women when they have their periods). But I'd want to rule out endometriosis (is there pain during sex, at all, too?).
I've got a great remedy for spasmodic cramping like this if you'd like to know what it is, but I'd still advise an internal exam to rule out any chronic condition.

summerbabe
Hey Busties!

I didn't know where to post this question, hope it's not too out of place here!

I recently moved to Calgary, which seems to me to be the coldest and driest place on the entire frickin' planet. My skin is absolutely hating me, especially on my arms and legs. I always moisturize with Vaseline Cocoa Butter right out of the shower, but my skin is still so dry that it's visibly white and flaky. Since moisturizing it just seems to turn the skin into nasty flesh-coloured goo (yuck!), can anyone recommend a good way to get rid of all this dead skin? I use an exfoliating mitt in the shower, but it's not very effective. Please help me before I flake away into nothing! blink.gif
sexysandee
Summerbabe... my skin is very sensitive and usually flakes the way you are saying that your's does... the only thing that works for me are the baby aveno products... I also use this cool stick made by johnson and johnson...for baby's dry stops... other than that nothing seems to help... goodluck.

Does anyone have a cure for migrains? I had a horrible one yesterday and I had to leave work go to the doctor and get a horrible shot that made me sleep for 15 hours straight... now I am at work feeling really groggy... ugh blink.gif
swtgrl
Hi ladies I am new to this whole thing so help me out please!! I posted in the BV thread but no one ever answered sad.gif

I just have a question or two...my doctor doesn't tell me anything and i am in the process of finding a new one!

I was diagnosed with a bacterial infection and this is the first time I've had it so...

I am taking Clindesse and am on the pill. My last active pill was saturday so I started my period and my last dosage of clindesse was also on sunday evening. Will it still work? It seems like it has.

And when is it ok to have sex again? I don't want to give it to my boyfriend, if that's possible, or get it again!
starpiste
summerbabe, you've got to exfoliate the dead skin so that you can moisturize the new skin. My favorite at home exfoliator is a handful of salt mixed with some sort of oil until the consistancy is nice for you. You can use olive oil, baby oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, even bath oils work fine. Just scrub all over and then rinse and moisturize. Do it every other day and after a week or two you can go down to once a week usually.

swtgrl, as far as I know it's not recommended to have sex while the infection is active but it is very unlikely to pass it to your partner. That said if the bv becomes reoccuring most doctors will treat your partner just in case.

here's a ton of awesome info: http://www.vaginapagina.com/index.php?titl...erial_vaginosis
swtgrl
thanks starpiste! how do i know if the infection is still active though? i dont seem to have any syptoms anymore but i just want to be sure!
summerbabe
Thanks starpiste and sexysandee, both of your suggestions sound good! I like the idea of oiling up my legs, sounds pretty serious biggrin.gif
chachaheels
What you had is basically a flu. The best thing to do with flu of any kind is to just rest. Never suppress a fever (it's your body's way of getting rid of any microbial or viral component of the illness) and keep yourself away from other people, who may be susceptible to what you've got.

I can give you a series of suggestions for handling the sinus congestion (which is really just all the waste products of your body's successful efforts to create inflammatory responses to the flu virus--the absolute best thing to do would be to let this stuff drain, without using anti-biotics of any kind). I would only give you recommendations of the alternative medicine kind, however.
p_176
has anyone had issues with thyroid? last time i had mine tested, it was fine (a few years ago), yet at my office, everyone around me will be complaining that it's cold, and yet i'm sweating. what gives? any ideas? i don't have a fever and i'm not taking weird medications:-/
konphusion26
Oh my gosh, does anyone else have POLLEN allergies??????? I am miserable right now!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.