Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The General Health Question Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
ladymiss
VanillaXtraDry: I just recently went to the doctor to get my own identical symptom checked out. Mr. GP said it was a pimple - located in the same spot - between my labia & thigh, kinda on the front butt - anywho, no pain - no more than one. I do have a pimple on my back butt, but I'm definitely sure that one's a pimple. The front one is different though, I thought maybe it was a skin flap or a mole. But it's red. Did the doc have anything to say about yours? Mine's still just a raised pustule like a red pimple, but soft and rolls under the skin to touch. It's not blotchy or itchy.

konphusion: I totally have seasonal allergies. Try Flonaise or Nasonex if you've got that crappy mucus running down the back of your throat. I thought I'd just developed this crazy cold that didn't go away for a year. They did tests on me & discovered it was a terrible allergy to the new environment I was living in. Moved from the wet west coast to the prairies you see. Had a B12 & Iron deficiency too. Now I take a nose spray in the Spring & Fall, & Womens 1 A Day Vitamin pill thing & everything seems to be under control smile.gif
thenewrussia
QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Apr 11 2008, 05:50 PM) *
Oh my gosh, does anyone else have POLLEN allergies??????? I am miserable right now!

I have really bad allergies too! My throat and my tongue are really itchy, anyone have any suggestions?
GirlFilth
I was diagnosed BPD type 1 on April 3rd and am taking lamictal and abilify. My hair feels like it's falling out, I keep wondering if I have BV due to meds. I would have posted this in Bipolar thread, but felt more comfortable posting it here. Also my scalp is constantly itchy and my eyes are either real watery or as dry as dust. I currently take a liquid multi vitamin, gingkoba for the short term mem loss, fishoil omega 3 and 6. I also get extreme anxiety, bleh.

So other than scrubbing down and going to my annual next week for an iud, is there any suggestions anyone has? Please! biggrin.gif

& thank you of course.

PS- I am a smoker trying to quit and a coffee addict. I don't drink alcohol as of now nor partake in drug usage as that was part of my mental breakdown thing.
konphusion26
QUOTE(thenewrussia @ Apr 16 2008, 02:36 PM) *
I have really bad allergies too! My throat and my tongue are really itchy, anyone have any suggestions?

Hey there, i've been taking either otc Zyrtec (the generic version) or the generic of claritin and they work pretty good. if yours are really severe, you should probably get a prescription. I am trying to avoid doing that with the over the counter stuff. See if one of those may help you.
obelix2
My heels have gotten so dry that they're splitting open. Usually this doesn't happen until the middle of the summer, when I've spent a few day hiking in Chacos. But I've been wearing socks and shoes for eight months! Grumble, grumble. I'll just go ahead and superglue it shut like I usually do. I know, I know, it's toxic. But my foot is split open - I'm limping. Does anybody else have a good way to deal with this? Within a few months, I'll have two or three of these splits on each foot.
deepthinker
QUOTE(obelix2 @ Apr 24 2008, 12:18 AM) *
My heels have gotten so dry that they're splitting open. Usually this doesn't happen until the middle of the summer, when I've spent a few day hiking in Chacos. But I've been wearing socks and shoes for eight months! Grumble, grumble. I'll just go ahead and superglue it shut like I usually do. I know, I know, it's toxic. But my foot is split open - I'm limping. Does anybody else have a good way to deal with this? Within a few months, I'll have two or three of these splits on each foot.

What sort of shoes are you wearing when you walk? Maybe you need a switch?
pollystyrene
I have a friend who's prone to cracked heels and she's had to get them treated with acid when she gets a pedicure before. She said it's really painful, but when they get that bad, it's all that works.

I've never let mine get that bad- I use a Swedish foot file every now and then in the shower. You've got to do it after you've been in the shower for a little while and your feet have absorbed some water and are softened. I do it about once a month and that keeps it down.
chachaheels
Obelix there are creams formulated with lanolin that help heal the cracks in the heels. Part of the problem is that the cracks are a form of extreme dryness from exposure to the elements; but it's also partly related to fungal growth on the skin.

Soaking your feet in a tub of warm, slightly sudsy water with white vinegar and salt added to make the solution is a good way of preparing the skin on the heels for foot filing (you can use a pumice stone or one of those flat foot "files" to just slough off this skin when you've let your feet soak for a number of minutes. Try not to be too aggressive the first time with this--it'll irritate cracked skin even more if you try and get all the hard skin off the first time). Immediately afterwards, dry your feet off very, very carefully and completely, and apply one of those lanolin rich creams to the affected areas. Cover your feet with clean cotton socks and sleep with the socks on. If you do this every day for a few days, you'll slough off all the really hard skin and the lanolin cream will help your skin to heal properly. The vinegar in the water will help to kill off the surface fungal growth plus it helps to soften up the skin so it can be sloughed off more easily. You have to do this little by little, over the course of a few days. But sooner rather than later (in about two weeks or so) your heels will be smooth and free of splits and calouses. Then you can do this once a week to keep them healthy.

There are other creams on the market to help with this--there is a brand that comes from Germany called Gehwohl which makes some really nice products for footcare, including creams that will help keep the fungal growth down and creams that are made specifically for cracked heels. Another brand name you can find in most drug stores is Zim's Crack Cream; but generally any significantly rich cream with lanolin will do the trick if you apply it liberally and repeatedly.

Glueing the cracked heels shut only causes unglued parts to tear open--you're probably in pain now from the cracks because they can become infected (this is the big worry with foot care for diabetics--infections we think of as inconsequential really throw diabetics into a physical spin, enough to endanger their lives in some cases...but the bright side of this is that you can now treat the cracked skin more easily).
obelix2
Thanks for all the answers, everybody! I've been wearing cotton socks and Danskos, or cotton socks and athletic shoes. Almost nothing else. I really hope it's not the Danskos! I don't own any other work shoes.

I'm always hesitant to mess with my callouses - I'm quite proud of them. I can walk barefoot on gravel! But I suppose that's not such a big deal now that I'm not, um, twelve. It makes sense that cutting them down a bit would make the skin more supple.

I'll definitely get myself some foot cream. It is so dry here that I cover the rest of my body with lotion daily, so my feet should be getting some of that love too.
dusty
I used to be proud of my callouses, which came from being barefoot and the cottage in the summer. Until a GP told me that if I didn't do something about them, she would.
CarrieBradshaw
Does anyone else get extremely ITCHY when the weather starts to get warm?!?!?!? I find I get readly itchy on my lower cheeks (on either side of my chin) and my shins!!! It's the WORST. My face turns into this rough, kind of bumpy area and my shins just have little bumps where I scratched! I try to lotion up a lot with Eucerin, but it doesn't really seem to help.... Anyone else have this or have suggestions??
p_176
without going into detail,i have a sick family member. the situation is stressing the other family members ,including me. i feel like the stress and anger my other family members are going through is being taken out on me, which makes me feel taken for granted and not want to help out as much as i can. how can i best deal with this problem?
AsparagusBerry
QUOTE(CarrieBradshaw @ Apr 28 2008, 05:22 AM) *
Does anyone else get extremely ITCHY when the weather starts to get warm?!?!?!? I find I get readly itchy on my lower cheeks (on either side of my chin) and my shins!!! It's the WORST. My face turns into this rough, kind of bumpy area and my shins just have little bumps where I scratched! I try to lotion up a lot with Eucerin, but it doesn't really seem to help.... Anyone else have this or have suggestions??

My sister had something similar when she was younger, it sounds like it could be one of couple of things...

The first being yeast bumps, they appear in hot weather, the solution to this is to pop one or two in each area, even though it will hurt like a mofo, and probably bleed because they are not like pimples, popping one will kind of activate your immune system, sending antibodies to that area.

The second, you might have a mild allergy to the sun, either way, you should probably go see a dermatologist, she can give you medication if its an allergy and diagnose exactly whats going on.
Lady Selena
You know it sounds kinda like blocked sweat gland, or prickly heat.. Here is a website that might be of interest...
http://www.innatehealth.com/miliaria.htm
AsparagusBerry
ok...I have a rather embarrassing question...I was wondering if this has happened to anyone before, or if anyone knows what it is... every once in a while, I will develop a large, painful zit-like thing on my outer labia, its filled with pus and is about 1/4 in or more in diameter, and is kinda hard in the center. I have been tested for STD's, so its not herpes or anything...plus this is different.

I mostly get them about a week or two after I shave down there, but I don't think they are ingrown hairs...I have pretty much stopped shaving, and haven't gotten one since then, but it has only happened twice in the last two years anyway.

does anyone know what these things are? zits? boils? ingrown hairs?

Man...if they only knew the things that we have to go through...
deschatsrouge
I get those too. I don't get them that offen, I get them every three monthes or so. Sometimes I go for long stretches without them. I pop them usually, if I can't I must convince Mrs. Rouge to do it for me. Sometimes the goo that comes out of them smells like cheese sometimes it doesn't. I don't get them just on my labia, but farther back too.
chachaheels
If you've ruled out all other potential, worse-case scenario possibilities for those bumps, it's quite likely that they are either some kind of fungal growth being expressed from the body (which would explain the smell you describe) or there is some thing that is making its way into the skin--something irritating, and very small, such as a paper fibre (from the use of tampons or toilet paper, for example). Perhaps you have a sensitivity to these materials which get under your skin--naturally a healthy body would push them out by forming a cyst or boil or even an abscess or fistula around them to keep them contained and separate from the delicate tissue there, until you could extract it and remove it for good.

Human bodies are infinitely fascinating and often simultaneously repulsive, but there you have it. If these things recur, try:
-ensuring all the fabrics used in this area are clean--clean towels (wash them after you use them, every time, so that you are never at risk of becoming infected or re-infected with fungal growth)
-choose all natural material tampons, such as 100% unbleached cotton/no rayon content tampons. Or consider using a keeper or Diva Cup, or fabric menstrual pads
-wear breathable materials in the area of your crotch, such as cotton or silk. Avoid lycra blends, avoid nylons or acetates or polyesters here. They can create irritation and the conditions for fungal growth to flourish.
-If you're shaving or waxing, these can just be ingrown hairs, or they can be mild infections from the materials you're using. Clean razors or shavers have to be used in this area, every time. Waxing naturally encourages ingrown hair, by it's nature: maybe another form of hair removal might be more suitable.
pepper
i prefer the diva cup as it can be disinfected by boiling.
i have permanent bumps right at the hairline on my outer labia, probably an irritated reaction to shaving and waxing right there (which i don't do anymore because, well, now it just shows my lovely little bumps).
if you are going to pop them may i recommend applying a hot, damp cloth to the area for a spell first and then opening up the pore with a sterile needle before squeezing. if you can insert the needle directly into the pore opening it will be very easy for any puss to come out and will reduce tissue trauma from pressing too hard on the flesh. you can use this technique on white heads on the face as well (i read it in some doctor written book).
the cheesy smell reminds me of the goo that collects around body piercings, it's our version of oyster pearl mucus to cover a foreign object. this to me seconds what chacha says about it being particles from toiletry products or fabric.

take care!
LustfullyPink
Has anyone ever used Norethisterone as a method of delaying their period for a few days? I'm going on holiday soon, and am not on birth control so this seems like the best option for me, as I don't want to get eaten by a shark. Did you have any adverse affects? How much did it cost? Thank you all so much smile.gif
likeanyother
LP – I know not of what you speak, sorry.

I’m posting cuz I just got a letter in the mail saying my last pap smear was abnormal. “Atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance.” It said that since this is my first abnormal one I shouldn’t worry, but I do have to go in for a second pap smear in 6 months. I’m trying not to freak out but I can’t help but be a little worried, and I don’t want to have to wait 6 months to find out what the hell is going on! Has anyone dealt with this before?
chachaheels
Yes.

Abnormal Pap smears with results identical to yours are very, very common. If you have a regular Pap test, you will encounter this result at some point, I think (that's how common they can be). That's why you're told to come back in six months for a new test--the results could be indicative of nothing more than something which isn't at all clear as a result of the test itself. Most often, the second test usually results in "normal".

It's best not to worry. But do make an appointment to have that second test done in six months, so you can rule out any abnormality.
geekchickknits
QUOTE(chachaheels @ Jun 3 2008, 02:55 PM) *
Yes.

Abnormal Pap smears with results identical to yours are very, very common. If you have a regular Pap test, you will encounter this result at some point, I think (that's how common they can be). That's why you're told to come back in six months for a new test--the results could be indicative of nothing more than something which isn't at all clear as a result of the test itself. Most often, the second test usually results in "normal".

It's best not to worry. But do make an appointment to have that second test done in six months, so you can rule out any abnormality.

likeanyother, most of the time, this is the case. If they aren't sending you in for a colposcopy (where they stick a camera up there and take a close look at your cervix) it's probably nothing to worry about - you may have only been a little irritated on the day.

When this happened to me, I was sent for a coloposcopy. I was told the abnormal cells were HPV (human pampilloma virus), and I would need a LEEP to remove the cells, but they also took a biopsy for testing. It ended up being vagisitis, and I basically had to do a treatment very similar to that of a yeast infection for 10-14 days.

If you want to ask me anymore about it, you can pm me.
neverending
Does anyone know how to use the Nuvaring so that you only have 4 periods a year?
vegdumpling
QUOTE(neverending @ Jun 3 2008, 11:20 PM) *
Does anyone know how to use the Nuvaring so that you only have 4 periods a year?

the 4 periods a year thing is done by not giving you a break from the hormones except those four times a year, so since the nuvaring is like regular pill hormones i suppose that you could just not take a week off and simply switch rings every 4 weeks. i'm pretty sure that would work but i'd ask the doc if they thought it'd be a problem first. you'd probably end up with spotting for at least the first few months, too.

i'm using the nuvaring, i like it but for some reason my sister thinks it's the grossest thing in the world. i guess she has vagina issues.
konphusion26
I don't know if I would try that without consulting a doctor first. The Nuvaring is designed so that you DO have a period after 3 weeks of having it in. My doc said leave it in 4 wks maximum. That sounds kinda iffy, neverending. I would really do some serious research on that before trying it. I'm just paranoid when it comes to these hormonal contraceptives. Sounds like it could mess ya up if you're not careful hun. But what do I know? I just started using it a month ago, on my 2nd month.
geekchickknits
From what I've read in the literature, you would put in a new ring after 4 weeks instead of taking the week off. To be honest though, I'm a big fan of regular menstruation. Also.....IMHO......this is a conversation for the birth control thread.....
p_176
my doc was advising me to use the nuvaring for 4 weeks, then put in a new one, so i would never get my period - the goal was to not let the hormones drop so i would not have PMS. (i've opted not to use the birth control pill because my breasts don't agree with it). i have not done extensive research into issues from not having a period, but i guess since it's not having a period because of the pill, then when you stop the pill, you have a period. depending on your reasons for taking the pill, it could work - no lethargy, no emotional roller coaster from hormone changes, no pregnancy...it apparently keeps the hormones at a stable consistent level, so there should be no danger....but again, i'm not an expert, and i have a different period schedule from most people.
likeanyother
Just wanted to jump in to quickly say thank you for the responses re: abnormal pap smear. I appreciate it and I feel quite a bit better now, thanks!
pqhaattte
i have a question regarding something that was mentioned in bust this past issue, but i don't have my copy on-hand and i can't seem to do a search through the forum (grrr). sorry if this has been answered/hashed over before...

i don't know if it's just psychosomatic from reading the tiny blurb about it in bust, but i've suddenly noticed tiny holes on the inside crotch of my undies, basically where all the ooze that comes out of my coochie snorcher hits. i'm worried it may be an STI, although i'm not sure what it would be (don't have any noticeable discharge...).

anyone have any plausible ideas?
geekchickknits
QUOTE(pqhaattte @ Jun 4 2008, 12:48 PM) *
i've suddenly noticed tiny holes on the inside crotch of my undies, basically where all the ooze that comes out of my coochie snorcher hits. i'm worried it may be an STI, although i'm not sure what it would be (don't have any noticeable discharge...).

anyone have any plausible ideas?

From my understanding, there are two possibilities - mice, and carpet beetle/moth larvae. They are attracted to the proteins in the discharge.

I know, gross. Not much you can do.
crazyoldcatlady
likeanyother: i just wanted to add that ASCUS, the diagnosis in your case, is nothing to worry about at this point. i've been spending my days looking at a slew of actual pap's, and the call to put a cell in that category really has no hard criteria and is a bit subjective; i.e. an ASCUS cell to one pathologist may be on the "upper end of normal" for another. A cell can look funny for a variety of reasons, including acute inflammation or normal flora changes (did they happen to mention either in your report?), trauma, previous direct topical therapy, or, you know, the beginning of dysplasia or a higher grade lesion.

ASCUS is basically saying, "well, this one cell/clump of cells doesn't look like the others; we don't know why yet, but we want you follow up to rule out the worst-case-scenario."

Did they order any reflex HPV testing?
neverending
Thanks for the responses, I think i'm going to try the 4 periods a year thing with the Nuvaring.
culturehandy
Bumped for Sound of Vision.
Sound Of Vision
Nipple issues

Hello ladies, I was at the plastic surgeon's practice yesterday and I was diagnosed with inverted nipples (I knew that before, it was obvious, but officially now.)
That's no big thing, lots of women have it and there are no many complications with operations. But he told me that this kind of operation can cut some of my peripheral milk ducts, and that I might have problems in pregnancy and with breast feeding. He said it's not often but it is a possibility.

I have 2 options: to operate it now with this possibility or after I give birth and I'm sure I don't want to have any more kids (it's funny how he thinks that breast feeding is condition to having a baby - like you can't have it without breast feeding!! And, oh, how am I supposed to breast feed like this, with practically no nipples?! But ok, he's older man, and good in operations so I'll ignore that.)

The thing is, it's bothering me. I don't like how my breasts look like and I'm ashamed of showing them naked. They look like there's something wrong with them and kind of unnatural. Not how breasts should look like. (prolly mass media doing it's work, but still, it's body I live with every day, especially 'female parts') If I wait until I give birth to as many babies I want (the question is will I have them at all) I will be older and this is bothering me *NOW*.

So what I'm asking you is, do you know someone (or some of you even) who had this operation? And possibly had a baby later? Were there any problems, complications with breasts/-feeding? If periphery ducts were cut can milk still go through other ducts? I'm not even sure I want to have babies one day and not sure will I breast-feed them (it's not priority to me and right now I can't really say it's important to me).

I'll google informations but I'd love real life stories. My operation should be scheduled in autumn, so I must make decision.

Thanks for all info you give me!
pherber
I had inverted nipples as a teenager, actually until I was in my twenties.
The thing is, I guess you are very young, that inverted nipples usually disappear by themselves. Mine did almost overnight.

It is NOT a disease, so you don't really get diagnosed.
The doctor is clearly an asshole, who will also "diagnose" small breasts, big noses, etc.

If you have issues with body image, a PLASTIC surgeon is not the first person to ask, because they have zero interest, in making you feel better about yourself!!!

I'd go and see a gynecologist for more reasonable advice.

Good luck, and don't worry too much! smile.gif
Sound Of Vision
I'm 21 (soon 22) and I know it's not a disease, I knew since I was teenager. I did research about it long time ago but never asked any doctor anything. And doctor now said it himself, that it's nothing serious. I'm not trying to solve my insecurities by doing plastic operation.

This annoys me so much and I feel like my body isn't normal. I know it is, but it's just...unnatural.
neverending
QUOTE(Sound Of Vision @ Jun 5 2008, 05:25 PM) *
I'm 21 (soon 22) and I know it's not a disease, I knew since I was teenager. I did research about it long time ago but never asked any doctor anything. And doctor now said it himself, that it's nothing serious. I'm not trying to solve my insecurities by doing plastic operation.

This annoys me so much and I feel like my body isn't normal. I know it is, but it's just...unnatural.

I've never heard of inverted nipples. I had to google in order to see what you were talking about. This condition does not seem to be to bad but I understand wanting normal looking nipples. I say do the surgery if it makes you feel better.
konphusion26
QUOTE(neverending @ Jun 5 2008, 03:43 PM) *
I've never heard of inverted nipples. I had to google in order to see what you were talking about. This condition does not seem to be to bad but I understand wanting normal looking nipples. I say do the surgery if it makes you feel better.

Wow, I've never heard of that either. But when I looked it up, they showed an illustration of normal, flat, and inverted nips. I'd have to say mine are flat. Very flat, never realized it till i saw that illustration. That is wild.... how did I go my entire life not knowing the correct term for how my nipples look?? Crazy. I guess now that I think back - i've never really seen any like mine ever.

Anyway, SOV if you decide to opt for surgery please do some research and find out all the risks. Good luck deary.
pherber
Yesterday, I was in a real rush, because I had to be off for work, so my reply was a bit short and snappy.

Dear SOV, I did in no way mean to imply, that you're dumb, or uneducated on the subject! smile.gif

I understand, that this makes you feel weird, because I felt the same way, when I was your age.

The thing I would consider is, that plastic surgery really isn't neccessary, because in most cases the inverted nipples will "pop out" eventually.
Also, if you have hang-ups about guys seeing you naked, I want to assure you, that no guy I was with thought that my nipples were weird.

I also think it's cool, that you posted here!
Sadly, a lot of newbies feel discouraged from ever posting again, when they've started a new thread, and have been told, that this is not the lounge style, no matter how polite it's been said.
So please stick around, the bust vibe will work miracles on your crushed confidence. smile.gif

Sound Of Vision
QUOTE(pherber @ Jun 6 2008, 03:53 AM) *
Yesterday, I was in a real rush, because I had to be off for work, so my reply was a bit short and snappy.

Dear SOV, I did in no way mean to imply, that you're dumb, or uneducated on the subject! smile.gif

I understand, that this makes you feel weird, because I felt the same way, when I was your age.

The thing I would consider is, that plastic surgery really isn't neccessary, because in most cases the inverted nipples will "pop out" eventually.
Also, if you have hang-ups about guys seeing you naked, I want to assure you, that no guy I was with thought that my nipples were weird.

I also think it's cool, that you posted here!
Sadly, a lot of newbies feel discouraged from ever posting again, when they've started a new thread, and have been told, that this is not the lounge style, no matter how polite it's been said.
So please stick around, the bust vibe will work miracles on your crushed confidence. smile.gif

Hey smile.gif

I didn't think you were implying anything of the sort. Just, I asked about it in one female health livejournal community and some of the girls/women there practically judged me for not being happy with my body as it is, naturally giv; for wanting to cut perfectly healthy nipples and some just focused on breastfeeding and how is that going to affect it etc. (and piercing discussion) which really surprised me...

This is not really the same as crooked nose...my sexuality is in question.

Actually, I found out after I posted this question that my nipples aren't inverted, they are flat, but I don't think there's a term for flat ones in my language, so the doc said they are inverted.

Few people suggested piercing nipples but not sure will it work for flat ones. My nipples can't pop out because they are not shaped, they didn't develop. There's nothing to come out when it's cold, when I'm aroused or when I pinch them. sad.gif

(And I've got lots of time spent on boards to be discouraged by one mistake. tongue.gif I know how annoyed moderators and veteran posters can be when newbies come and make a mess. (I'm mod too on other forum tongue.gif))

QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Jun 5 2008, 11:53 PM) *
Wow, I've never heard of that either. But when I looked it up, they showed an illustration of normal, flat, and inverted nips. I'd have to say mine are flat. Very flat, never realized it till i saw that illustration. That is wild.... how did I go my entire life not knowing the correct term for how my nipples look?? Crazy. I guess now that I think back - i've never really seen any like mine ever.

Anyway, SOV if you decide to opt for surgery please do some research and find out all the risks. Good luck deary.

Yeah some women told me that too. They weren't aware of their breasts being (a bit) different. The thing is, I was, even since my puberty started I felt there's something 'wrong'. I've been very self-conscious about it. I wish I didn't know either...it would be much easier. smile.gif

I am searching all the info I can, that's why I posted here, I know there are cool ladies here. wink.gif
konphusion26
I tried a swig of soy milk on Friday for the first time (it was yummy!). I'd heard it was delicious and healthy alternative to dairy milk. But there's one lil problem. It made my throat itch and swell within minutes. It kinda threw me for a loop because I wasn't expecting that reaction at all. It was very scary. Anybody else had this problem?? I have severe tree pollen allergies and what's known as Oral allergy syndrome (can't eat fresh fruit without having aforementioned allergic reactions).
neverending
QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Jun 5 2008, 10:53 PM) *

Wait a minute! There's a such thing as flat nipples? Let me check this out!
tankgirl
kon: there are a lot of people allergic to soy. That's probably what it is. I have the same thing with apples. I can eat them, but if I bite into one raw my mouth feels a little ichy. Try rice milk if you want that same healthy type drink. They are very similar.
chachaheels
Soy's a legume--like peanuts; it's one of the most common allergens on the planet. What you've experienced, kon, sounds exactly like an allergy so chances are really good most or all legumes will affect you. Legume allergies can be really severe, too--lots of kids die from exposure to peanuts or soy, so now that you've experienced any kind of sensitivity to it you really have to be careful.

Unless soy's been fermented (as it is in Tofu, or in Miso or Tempeh), it should never be eaten; most of the soy grown to make fake meat/cheese foods or soy milk is genetically modified (even if it claims to be "organic" on the package). It's been heavily promoted as "healthy", but the truth is it's a great food to avoid like the plague--unless you can get the real stuff like properly made fermented soy foods listed above (and if you've got an allergy, it's something you should avoid completely).

Soy gets put into quite a lot of foods even though labels won't always be honest about it as an ingredient. One of the most commonly doctored foods containing soy is orange juice, for example (and it is not required to be listed as an ingredient on the label); it's in a lot of foods like chocolate, spreads, salad dressings, processed and prepared foods (almost across the board). It's often listed as "lecithin" or "hydrolyzed protein" or "vegetable oil" on labels, among other names.
konphusion26
Wow, thats interesting. Funny you would mention peanuts, I can eat as much of those as I want with no problem. I didn't realize how common soy allergies were. Well, put it this way, with all my other allergies soy was something I never thought I'd have to worry about. But wow! Thank you for the info ladies. Kinda scary that soy is in so much stuff, Chacha. I've never realized it! In orange juice???? That is weird!
chachaheels
I know, sometimes the biochemical compounds in a particular legume plant will affect someone more than another type of legume--but all allergies are serious. If you're reacting to your environment with an allergic reaction, then it's a sign that your body's immune strategies and system have been depleted (allergic reactions--swelling, redness, pain, heat or "calor, rubor, dolor, tumor"--are the "last ditch effort" of the immune system, signifying that all your body's other safeguards are no longer effective). When things are that depleted, inflammations like the kind you get in allergies can easily become life-threatening. So it's best to avoid the risk of being exposed, even to things which might create an allergic reaction.

People who are sensitive to peanuts avoid legumes, I've found. They also avoid other nuts. Unless you undergo treatment to restore your health, the sensitivities and allergies will not likely go away on their own (and the risks are just too high to take a chance with these foods).

There are effects on the body that are not "allergic", per se--but peanuts, soy, vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts are known to be goitrogenic (they will have an effect on the thyroid gland and will often contribute to thyroid dysfunctions of all kinds, not just "goitres"). Traditionally, these foods have always been carefully lactofermented before being consumed, or they were avoided outright in order to ensure that they wouldn't create illnesses. Tofu and miso are examples of ancient traditions of lactofermentation applied to soy to make it an edible food (it's been made this way for over 800 years in the orient, and soy has always been served with meat and fish as well as dark leafed veggies--it has never been used as a substitute for animal protein in those traditions). With the exception of the fermented forms of these foods, most of us don't do this with these foods.

If you're not sensitive to peanuts in terms of allergy, soaking them in water and whey before eating them or grinding them up for use as a spread can make them safe--or eat other nuts instead; pulses like lentils, peas, etc always benefit from being soaked in water and whey (plus, you actually use the nutrients in them if they're soaked/fermented).

here are some articles (and the studies they're based on) about soy foods, their additives, etc.
http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/dirty-secrets.html (soy as an unlisted ingredient)
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/soy_milkcheese.html (processed soy's compounds, additives, etc)
kittenb
There is a hand-sized spot on my butt today that is totally numb. What could be causing that? Been that way all day.
neverending
How much water weight can a peson lose on water pills? And how much can a person retain (water)? thanks
edie52
Kittenb, my feet have been numb for days, and it was also briefly in my hands and face, so I have looked into it a bunch and I saw a doctor today. She wants me to see a neurologist, and have blood tests. The 3 big things they want to check are Lyme disease, MS, and B12 deficiency. It could also be another virus or just some freak nerve thing. Pretty scary though. I'm rooting for the B12 deficiency.

Since yours is only in one spot I wouldn't worry too much, probably just a nerve injury. Have you had any back issues or other symptoms? If it spreads or doesn't go away in a few days then maybe see a doctor.
kittenb
Still the same spot and still numb. I noticed that it happened on the same day that I started to have pain in my feet from my bone spurs. I have a podiatrist on Thursday. I'll mention it then. I always have tight and sore hips. The numbness is new.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.