Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The General Health Question Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
konphusion26
That is some great information Chacha! I am afraid of what is happening in my body because i know I don't get the right stuff. I hate the way those centrum multivitamins taste so I don't really take them often. Like AP, there's limited good, fresh, real food around here. But there's a McDonald's or other fast food place on every stinkin corner. There's a few stores here (the Whole Foods chain, and this other privately owned market) but their stuff costs and arm and a leg. I guess its better to pay for it and know I'm getting what I need than to pay for it later with my health.

Right now, I just don't feel healthy at all. I know my husband isn't. We've gotta seriously do something, and fast.

I really appreciate the information Chacha!! I looked up the products you listed. They aren't very expensive at all on iherb.com

You rock!
chachaheels
You guys are all too kind, it's my pleasure to share some information. GT, you know I have a million crushes on you at the moment. We should leave it at that.

AP and Konfusion, I know about neighbourhoods and areas like the ones you're in. The only reason stuff around me is so available is because I live in an area filled with very angry farmers who are never allowed to sell the good food they produce in local supermarkets.

So a lot of them went out and learned about organic certification and bioregionalism and community supported agriculture and Slow Food and everything else that's good to know. And a lot of other ones do the very best regardless--so when summer comes I stop buying stuff at the supermarket if I can, and try to stock up on local produce for winter by freezing things like fresh berries. Instead of buying the extremely cheap imported produce (it's so evil) like 99 cents per basket of strawberries from god knows where, I'll buy them from Linda and her CSA because I can drive the 10 minutes to her CSA farm and pick them myself, or I can drive to the end of my service road and get fresh veggies Sofia and her husband grew in their greenhouses. I'll pay a little more because it makes me want to start slapping people working in multi-billion dollar corporations that are hell bent on driving local farmers out of business.

When I lived in a place similar to where you are, I actually planted a garden using seeds people saved from their own gardens, or cuttings. It got me out talking to other gardeners (a good thing since I was and still am a complete mistake where growing plants of any kind is concerned, plus I was the stranger in those parts and this gave me something in common with someone!). If you have even a front porch or balcony you can grow a container garden which will give you some fresh veggies to work with, for example two tomato plants will produce enough for two people to eat during the summer, and you can move the plants indoors so that tomatoes still ripen long after the weather's become too cold. You can grow cucumber, onions, garlic, things like beets and chard, and fresh mixed salad greens if you harvest them while they're still young (you get a crop in about 10 days) and then quickly re-seed. A good way to have fresh greens all the time. The fish problem is tougher though, just because good fish is very hard to find if you're inland and there is no large demand.

Canned fish is just as good--in fact the only salmon you should be eating is the canned stuff, and you can use it to cook with (like in making things like kedgeree). Frozen fish is comparatively inexpensive, look for species that are cold water, deep water fish because they're the richest in the necessary fats. I personally love canned skipjack or yellowfin tuna packed in olive oil, it's a few cents more expensive than the kind packed in water (and I want to avoid albacore) and I eat it right out of the can--but it's also amazing for pasta dishes or just in salads with a little fresh tomato sauce, sauteed onions and fresh (or frozen if fresh aren't around) peas. Herring can be found smoked and frozen or pickled--it's good! Really--especially if you eat it Salmagundy style, with fresh sour cream and a little lemon--the sour cream magnifies the nutrient intake from the fish! Fresh fish is wonderful but to be well nourished you don't have to stick to it exclusively as canned fish is also rich in the good stuff. The tilapia you mention and the catfish--those are good species!

Also, beef is not bad food, it's actually very good for you if you can find it well raised, drug free, hormone free. If you're in beef country seek out the farmers who are trying to change the way things are done in terms of sustainable, sane farming practices and butchering practices. But I completely understand the need for variety.

Stores like Whole Foods have become questionable lately--caught selling "organic" foods from China, for example. It's a false claim; also, so much of what they sell is also packaged and processed and full of additives that are just not good, even if they're "organic" or otherwise thought of as "healthy" foods. You can do well by sourcing locally if it's at all possible, and it's always much cheaper.
je.ne.sais.pas
what could be causing pain a little to the right of my bellybutton??? i looked up the anatomy and it's the small and large intestines so is it just severe indigestion??? i end up taking tagamet and using a heating pad to at least make it tolerable. it lasts though for hours, normally this happens at night so let's say 8 hours, any ideas or advice?
deschatsrouge
I was hoping Busties could help me out. I had to go to the Er last Sunday for a kidney infection and kidney stones. I was wondering what Busties did besides pain killers to make passing a stone a little more tolerable. I have been in hell this last week.
lori
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Jul 16 2008, 11:56 AM) *
I am a dedicated neti pot user. The first time I used it, air was coursing through places that likely hadn't seen air in years. Being where I am (And where I used to live.), there is a lot of shit in the air, so unless I want to just live with sinus issues or be drugged out of my mind, the neti pot is a good choice. It feels weird at first, but it's worth it IMHO.

I love the Neti pot! smile.gif I really wish I had known about it earlier, because it helps me so much with my allergies. I have suffered countless days being miserable from allergies, and I can't believe there was such a simple solution! I've turned everyone in my family onto Neti Pots. They are awesome.
lori
Oops, double post, sorry guys. Just can't stop raving about neti pots! smile.gif
chachaheels
Je.ne.sais.pas, it could be nothing, and it could be serious--but if it's so bad you're taking a pain killer every night, go to a doctor or walk in clinic or an ER where you can have someone rule out appendicitis or anything worse. Avoid the urge to take a laxative or any other "stomach pain" relief of any kind and go and get yourself checked out ASAP. I don't want to alarm you, but if it is something like appendicitis and it isn't taken care of it can become a big problem, especially if it's self-treated.

Deschatsrouge, I can suggest a tincture I give to my patients as a means of breaking up the stones and speeding them out of the body painlessly. If you've got a good herbalist nearby or a lab/health food store that sells herbal tinctures or homeopathic mother tinctures, go and get Berberis tincture. Most herbal tinctures are taken daily, about 15 to 20 drops in water every day--do this for about a week or so and they should break up and pass without any problems. I'm sure the doctors have put you on a course of anti-biotics as well but the Berberis will help you deal with the infection as well.

good luck to you both.
candycane_girl
I want a neti pot so badly but I don't know where to find one!
lori
QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Jul 22 2008, 12:20 AM) *
I want a neti pot so badly but I don't know where to find one!

I've seen drugstores (CVS, Walgreens, etc.) carry two brands in their stores:

NeilMed: http://www.drugstore.com/qxp164302_333181_...lo_neti_pot.htm (Saw this one at Wal-mart, too)

SinuCleanse: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...44&catid=21

(You can obviously buy these directly from drugstore.com, too.)

From Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Himalayan-Institute-.../dp/B000WJIC3G/ (This is mine, and I love it!)

http://www.amazon.com/Himalayan-Institue-O.../dp/B000WJNHU4/ (Same brand, but plastic)

http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Secrets-Cera.../dp/B000OLEC6I/ (Whole Foods has this one in stores, costs more though)

You can also try your local health/vitamin/yoga/meditation shop. Good luck!

Oh yeah, you can buy special salts for it. But the cheapest solution is kosher salt from the grocery store. (I like both!)
je.ne.sais.pas
thank u chachaheels, i told boyfriend what you said and he agrees that he will take me to the ER and check into this wierd pain the next time it's real bad.
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(chachaheels @ Jul 21 2008, 11:39 AM) *
Deschatsrouge, I can suggest a tincture I give to my patients as a means of breaking up the stones and speeding them out of the body painlessly. If you've got a good herbalist nearby or a lab/health food store that sells herbal tinctures or homeopathic mother tinctures, go and get Berberis tincture. Most herbal tinctures are taken daily, about 15 to 20 drops in water every day--do this for about a week or so and they should break up and pass without any problems. I'm sure the doctors have put you on a course of anti-biotics as well but the Berberis will help you deal with the infection as well.

good luck to you both.

thanks chach
My stones are so bad that I'm going in on Monday to have them blasted I think they call it lithotripsy or something. Anywho I have two that are too big to pass. they are pea sized. I'm really scared because I've been really sick lately.

*BTW there are no herbalists in my area. I found a place that sells it on line. It's called Western Botanical Medicine. Can you tell me if you think it's reputable.
dro
QUOTE(cloverbee @ Apr 30 2006, 12:43 AM) *
can anybody recommend a good water filter???

Absolutely, Culligan Water Filters are very good. You can find a bunch of different models here: http://www.waterfilters.net/Filters/faucet...ucetsystems.htm
chachaheels
DesChats, I do think that source is a good place to get your tinctures from--their description about the processes used are good, but I've never ordered from them before so I don't know how they are business wise. If they can arrange to ship immediately and affordably, great. However, the Berberis tincture would have broken up your stones for you--if you're going to get them blasted mechanically you might still want to take the berberis to help pass the stones. When they're done mechanically there's no way of telling how they'll break up, and I have heard of incidences where the stones do occlude the urinary tract. The berberis might help with that.

Good luck, hope it's all over quickly and painlessly and you can get back to living well.
LoveMyPugs
chachaheels - please help me. my left lower eye lid is twitching off and on for the past three days. it's getting more and more frequent. everything i find online points to being tired or stressed which i am both. is there anything i can do? i gues i just have to get more sleep. i've only gotten about six hours the past three nights. i have to get up for work at 4:30 a.m. and I just can't get to bed before 10:30 p.m. can i nap in the afternoon when I get home from work for a few hours? will that mess everything up? i don't know what to do. this twtiching is awful. i feel like everyone can see it. it's so distracting.
chachaheels
It is stress and sleeplessness and being overtired.

It's also a sign to you that when you're overdoing it you will produce symptoms like this: neurological in nature!

Magnesium Phosphorica tissue salts 6x or 12x will help a lot with the nerve conduction and stop the twitchiness for you. It'll also help you with calming down, getting better sleep, and actually absorbing and using minerals like calcium and magnesium from your foods so you don't run into deficiencies, which tend to cause these kinds of symptoms.

Naps in the afternoon will not harm you, but there are some people who don't do naps in the afternoon well--they often feel "bitchy" (that's the preferred word people use to describe that state!) or irritated after the nap because it never feels like enough rest. If you're one of those people don't nap--make a point of leaving things undone and go to bed early and sleep. Take that time you would have used for a nap and remove yourself from what you're doing--run away to go read in a cafe with some nice tea or something for about an hour, then go back to what you were doing before.

If you can nap and it isn't the kind of thing that ends up making you more irritable, then do so for half an hour or so. But make a point of getting to bed at the regular time.
LoveMyPugs
chachaheels - thanks so much...i think i'm going to skip the nap and just get to bed early tonight. we recently purchased these great black out shades for our bedroom. i'll make it nice and cool and dark and i'll leave the tv off. i've tried to limit my caffeine today as well. thanks for your quick response.
LoveMyPugs
chachaheels - so i've started to nap when i get home from work. i try not to sleep more then two hours. usually it's just an hour and a half. it's helping. my eye hasn't twitched in two days. thanks so much for all your help. i have been under stress lately. read the addiction thread and you'll understand the lack of sleep. thanks, i'm glad i posted asking for your help. smile.gif
chachaheels
I'm glad you're feeling better and you're not feeling the twitchiness.

deschatsrouge
Hey Chach, the lithotripsy went well, no stuck stones. I was wondering if you make your own tinctures or if you order them. If so where do you order them from? Is it online?
chachaheels
Make my own tinctures? Hell, no. I'd need a lab, a big one; and I'd have to be a hell of a farmer (and I am not). And I use the tinctures homeopathically, when I use them. If I were set up to do that, then I'd have literally millions of dollars worth of machinery around to make those tinctures into potentized remedies in the method specified by law.

I prefer to support the best herb growers as well as the best homeopathic labs by just buying the finished product. It costs me so little! And they get to stay in business, and I keep my overhead down.

For herbal tinctures/mother tinctures, I get them from three sources here in Canada: Wise Woman Herbals, St. Francis Herb Farm and a company in Quebec called Clefs Des Champs. They're real sticklers, and they make good product. I have a pharmacy and a very good health food store I work with which keep these products in stock. When I give them to patients I just have them go to these stores and pick them up. Stocking these things in your own practice costs a lot of money! It's so much easier for me if I can find a business to retail them to my patients instead.

I'm glad the stones are no longer a problem. Did you actually try the tincture? Or just go and have the stones blown up with sound?
deschatsrouge
My appointment for lithotripsy was literally the Monday after you gave me advice. I was so chock full of stones that I didn't argue when the doc told me to go in right now. I think from now on I'm going to give my self a tincture treatment every six months or so. Hopefully that will be the last time I ever have to get lithotripsy.
chachaheels
I don't think using a medicine you may not really need is healthy, though! Using the berberis tincture when you haven't got a problem with kidney stones (or with other things it helps. such as appendicitis) can actually create some of the symptoms you use to cure or alleviate those symptoms. So you should really only use it if you're sure you have the stones.

It might be beneficial to try and see if things are okay so that stones don't continue to be produced. Did the doctor give you any idea of the mineral nature of the stones? They could be calcium. A lot of women have difficulty absorbing calcium properly and this is often a result of any number of factors, including thyroid/parathyroid insufficiency. The mineral simply gets stored in places throughout the body and it can cause things like stones or bone spurs, depending on the individual.
mornington
x-posted in the depression thread, but does anyone have any experience with ME/chronic fatigue syndrome?
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(chachaheels @ Aug 5 2008, 10:59 AM) *
I don't think using a medicine you may not really need is healthy, though! Using the berberis tincture when you haven't got a problem with kidney stones (or with other things it helps. such as appendicitis) can actually create some of the symptoms you use to cure or alleviate those symptoms. So you should really only use it if you're sure you have the stones.

It might be beneficial to try and see if things are okay so that stones don't continue to be produced. Did the doctor give you any idea of the mineral nature of the stones? They could be calcium. A lot of women have difficulty absorbing calcium properly and this is often a result of any number of factors, including thyroid/parathyroid insufficiency. The mineral simply gets stored in places throughout the body and it can cause things like stones or bone spurs, depending on the individual.

I had a stone sent in for analysis. The results haven't come back yet. When I know more I post it here.

Morn, my ma has CFS she takes 25 mg a night of seruquel. It helps her have deeper sleep.
kittenb
x-posted in the "When did my ass get so big" thread

When I take longer and faster rides on my bike (3+miles) I've been getting stomach cramps. This happens both if I've eaten before and if I haven't. Standing up and unbuttoning my pants helps almost immediatley, but what can I do to prevent them altogether?
pollystyrene
Chacha, need some help!

I've decided to stop taking The Pill. I'm currently on my "off week" so next week will be the first significant amount of time in 10 years or so that I've been off them. My body seems to know this and is throwing me a welcome back party, heh- I'm bleeding more than I have in about a year, bad cramps....certainly not as bad as I anticipate them being once I have my first non-chemically-assisted cycle, but unpleasant nonetheless.

I think I've posted about this issue before, but I seem to be allergic to myself during my period. My inner labial area gets all irritated, sore; right now I have pimple-like thing on my fourchette (I didn't even know I had a fourchette until just now- cod bless the internet!) that is extremely painful...I winced and saw flashes of light when I attempted to squeeze it a little ohmy.gif I don't know if this will go away once the pill's hormones are out of my system, but this sucks.

When I had my last period in April (I have been on Seasonale, the one where you get 4 periods a year), I had a really bad outbreak of this too and I happened to be getting my annual exam around that time. My doctor took a culture and found no evidence of yeast or anything going on. She suggested that maybe I have a very low-grade yeast infection and to try some miconazole cream. Around my prior period, back in January or so, the irritation was so bad I really thought I had a yeast infection and did a run of Monistat, which only helped a little and when I put the miconazole on, all holy hell broke out down there- I don't think I've ever hopped into a cold shower that fast to rinse it off. So, hence my reluctance to try the miconazole. Today I stopped at a health food store and got some calendula cream (not gel this time- this was a real health food store and not Whole Foods, so they had some options) and some of this stuff.

Before I break the seal, is that stuff worth it? Any thoughts on what could be causing this misery?

Also, any suggestions on making the transition into being pill-free?

Kitten, sounds like gas- maybe the sitting position combined with the pedaling motion is pushing gas to a place in your torso iit normally isn't.

ETA: One thing I am going to do is start seeing a real gynecologist...I love my doctor, but she's just a GP and I'm coming to a time in my life where I need some specialist's help.
chachaheels
Polly, that's not homeopathic medicine. It's a polypharmacy medicine. The thing about polypharmacy medicines is that there is a very small chance your symptoms may be alleviated--but it's usually not the way you want them to go away. They're not really cured, they're suppressed--and with a medicine that has been potentized. It's potentially way more harmful than just using a suppressive conventional medicine, which does wear off eventually (it's why you have to keep taking conventional meds indefinitely). Suppressed symptoms don't mean cure, they mean the body has been cut off from making that symptom because of the suppression--it's going to have to find a more vulnerable organ to manifest symptoms as a result. That's not what we want at all.

In short, polypharmacy medicines, in my experience, suck. I don't know what's doing what or how it's doing it, I can see in the list of ingredients that at least two medicines are iminical (so we never use them one after the other because they will cause aggravations) and there is an antidote in that list to at least two of the other ingredients--all common knowledge to someone who makes remedies and uses them homeopathically (so you know right there that whoever made this product knows nothing about homeopathy, and you shouldn't take a medicine made by someone who doesn't know what the heck they're doing). So what's the point? Get your money back for that product. If you want a homeopathic medicine, please consider that you cannot treat what you've got with over the counter one size fits all prescribing. Homeopathy never works that way. Please consult a qualified--you can even find board certified ones now!--homeopath to take and manage your case all the way back to health. It's a chronic condition that requires care which will involve a lot more attention than just taking a remedy.

I don't really believe what you're seeing take place is the result of yeast, anyway. It's quite common for symptoms which look like yeast to come from what they call "idiopathic" causes--unnameable, really, (meaning they just don't know) but the idiopathic causes are always what they call "hormone related" causes of the symptoms. And, Polly, your case is definitely hormone related. And, yes, while you're coming off the influence of the hormones you were taking you will find your flow to be much heavier for a while (a good, heavy, healthy flow! It's meant to eliminated accumulated hormonal waste, immune system waste, and tissue waste...it shouldn't be light). If you're suffering from cramps, try magnesium phosphoricum tissue salts in a 6x or 12x potency, as they really work well and you can take them as needed, and you can even follow the directions on the package when you're in cramp misery.

Now: to ease what you're going through, the calendula cream may help a lot here, just to soothe the area and keep the chance of infection down. Please do not squeeze these little eruptions, the skin is extremely sensitive and it may feel better with a warm bath of baking soda in water instead. I believe they'll go away on their own once all this "flushing out" is over with, but it's best to just let them be and watch them for any changes in appearance, sensation, things that aggravate them or alleviate them.

As for coming off the pill, a helpful thing you can do diet wise is to get on a balanced omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acid regime to help restore your hormone balance. I always recommend fish oil capsules (cod liver oil, wild salmon oil, krill oil...or you can get very good fish oil capsules to take on a daily basis) and capsules of oil of evening primrose. You can buy a good combination formulation if you can get a product called Efalex (essential fatty acid complex) and start with the high dose schedule until your stores are replenished. You can continue supplementing with this complex on a daily basis with fever capsules per day, just to maintain the healthy levels.
They will make a real difference in helping your hormone levels back to normal again.

Good luck, Polly
persimmon_grrrl
Hello Busties, newbies and advanced,

Does anybody know much about dysthymia - its discontents and desires?

Rather, what is is, what people experienced and how best to alleviate its dull, droning, insistent background presence everywhere, all of the time? Has anybody had dysthymia and not known it, only to be blindsided at a much later time? What if breathing feels exhausting? Is it just a matter of slowing down and paying more attention to what is going on, that word "mindfulness"?

PS: Has anybody ever felt discouraged from continuing a treatment because of doctor's cost/classism? Perhaps it's reactionary on my part to stop treatment based on both cost and being compared by the so-called healer to another client. I told her I had limited funds, and stated that was so. How can I keep my commitment to my own health even despite or beyond the troubles experienced with a "health care provider"? (Perhaps scare quotes aren't necessary/useful)
rubberdollz
QUOTE(persimmon_grrrl @ Aug 9 2008, 04:56 PM) *
PS: Has anybody ever felt discouraged from continuing a treatment because of doctor's cost/classism? Perhaps it's reactionary on my part to stop treatment based on both cost and being compared by the so-called healer to another client. I told her I had limited funds, and stated that was so. How can I keep my commitment to my own health even despite or beyond the troubles experienced with a "health care provider"? (Perhaps scare quotes aren't necessary/useful)

I can say I've felt discouraged from a doctor based on the fact that they didn't call me back with my test results. I went in for blood work and never got a call saying if anything was found. They also gave me a referral to go get some heart thing done but after I didn't get called back I said screw it and never went. I think you would keep a commitment to yourself about your health when you find someone that you respect and trust as a practitioner. That not even being only a doctor or whoever you choose to see.
rubberdollz
Oh yeah... I did end up calling the doctor a few months later to find out my test results but by that time I really didn't care what she had to say. I had already lost motivation to bother seeing her again. Now I'd trust my homeopath before bothering with a doctor again.
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(deschatsrouge @ Aug 7 2008, 05:51 AM) *
I had a stone sent in for analysis. The results haven't come back yet. When I know more I post it here.

Okay, so I got the results from my kidney stone analysis back. It turns out the are made of vegetable fiber. This totally weirded out the nurse, because this is a bizarre thing she has never seen before. I have been ordered to go back to the doc's office so they can look at me all confused, shrug, and say no one anywhere has ever seen vegetable fiber accumulate in the kidney. They will then tell me that nothing can be done about it. I will then wonder, whilst eating salads, if I am causing a problem.

Technically speaking I can no longer say I have kidney stones because stones have to be made of crystalline or mineral materials. So at this point I make kidney stone like structure made of vegetable fiber in my kidneys.
chachaheels
Well, too much vegetable fibre does in fact contribute to the creation of kidney stones (too much fibre, especially from foods like grains and fruits, complicate things because of the high sugar intake they amount to in the diet). Fibre can in fact keep the body from absorbing nutrients because fibre isn't digested, and it often just sits in the body. It can block bile production, too--and that directly leads to stone production.

But actually made of fibre? Well, I've never heard of it and I haven't seen any literature on this phenomenon, so I think I'm going to suggest that your nurse misread the test outcomes to you. Certainly calcium oxalate stones can be seen as made from the oxalates in vegetable fibre such as berries and fruits--but that's as far as I'd take that (even the cause and effect--I actually doubt these foods "cause" oxalate accumulation in the kidney at all, they probably act as a preventative). But, yes, oxalates are in fact sourced in specific vegetable fibre.

Some major causes of kidney stones: anyone prone to diabetes will be prone to producing them: not drinking enough water; eating a diet that is high in carbohydrates (high in sugars from fruits, grains, beans, etc) and low in fats (not enough fat will cause a lot of gallstone problems, including stone formation, that's for sure).

I think your doctors should not be as seemingly confused as your nurse. I'd talk to them directly.

I'm sure you can go on eating salad (but don't use a bottle dressing--they're usually full of msg (bean product!) and tons of sugar (especially if they're "low fat").
erinjane
I've been mentioning in the okayer thread that my nose was broken on Sunday. Well, now I can see that it's noticibly crooked. I have a doctors appointment but it's not until Sept 2nd. Does anyone know if I should be trying to get in sooner? I don't know if they even do anything if the swelling hasn't totally gone down yet.
lori
QUOTE(erinjane @ Aug 13 2008, 09:07 PM) *
I've been mentioning in the okayer thread that my nose was broken on Sunday. Well, now I can see that it's noticibly crooked. I have a doctors appointment but it's not until Sept 2nd. Does anyone know if I should be trying to get in sooner? I don't know if they even do anything if the swelling hasn't totally gone down yet.

Oh yikes, I'm so sorry.

I had the same thing happen to me. (Karate class gone wrong.) I eventually needed to get rhinoplasty (nose job) to get it straightened out. They didn't change the shape of my original nose, but that's what had to be done.

Guys can look cool with crooked noses, but girls don't.

I think you should try to get in before September.
erinjane
Yeah, I'm worried. I really don't want surgery but I don't know what else they can do. The receptionist said I could call and see if there were any cancellations so I think I'll try and do that in the morning and next week. The problem is my doc just got back from mat leave and is only working 1/2 time.
auralpoison
Ouch on the nose, EJ.

Has anybody here ever been approached to do a "ionic foot bath detox"? My uncle's sister just got into to town & she & my aunt are pestering me to try it. My aunt has done it several times & claims it's improved her health. I don't buy it anymore than I buy beachfront property here in lovely Kansas. I mean, it's total bullshit. A little electricity + some metal + some salt = funky looking "toxic" water. All your feet/body are contributing are dead epithelials. I am trying to be polite about declining the offer, but it's getting difficult. This lady is really SERIOUS about it & spent a good chuck of change on her machine, I could do the same thing she does with a less than $5 trip to the hardware store.
rubberdollz
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Aug 14 2008, 09:29 PM) *
Ouch on the nose, EJ.

Has anybody here ever been approached to do a "ionic foot bath detox"? My uncle's sister just got into to town & she & my aunt are pestering me to try it. My aunt has done it several times & claims it's improved her health. I don't buy it anymore than I buy beachfront property here in lovely Kansas. I mean, it's total bullshit. A little electricity + some metal + some salt = funky looking "toxic" water. All your feet/body are contributing are dead epithelials. I am trying to be polite about declining the offer, but it's getting difficult. This lady is really SERIOUS about it & spent a good chuck of change on her machine, I could do the same thing she does with a less than $5 trip to the hardware store.

Auralpoison... I can say I've had an ionic footbath a little while ago. It really wasn't a big deal. Yeah the water turned some nasty sludgy colors and looked super gross but I can't say it improved my health, but I was told that I would need to come back over and over again until the water started to turn clearer. I decided to call my homeopath and get a colonic instead of spending a ton of money on a footbath. I like the colonics a lot better because they clean your system out a lot quicker and you don't have to keep going back constantly. I did ask my homeopath about the footbath and she said they are ok for a quick little detox but don't give a real deep "cleaning."

If you aren't interested I'd just tell them that you aren't interested and don't feel that you need something like that.
pepper
they won't touch your nose until the swelling goes down and then they will likey re-break it so be prepared for a little more pain. so sorry!

the ionic foot bath thing is so cool. if someone was offering me freebies i'd be in there like a dirty shirt! why the heck not, it ain't gonna hurt you and hey, it's a foot bath. who doesn't love a foot bath? expecially if she sweetens the deal with drinks and snacks!
auralpoison
RD, I've expressed that I'm not interested. Firmly. Almost every time I see the lady she pesters me, so does my aunt. They don't want to take no for an answer no matter times they've heard it.

Maybe if she threw in a top-notch pedicure I'd be down, but I just don't feel like resting my feet in manky water for no good reason. And they're teetotalers, so no drinks.
pepper
ahh, forget it then. no drinks = no nakkie feet.
chachaheels
EJ, a dose of Arnica in a low potency, taken every few hours or so, will help bring the swelling and bruising right down so you can get in and have it fixed ASAP. Broken noses obstruct breathing in a very big and ongoing way. They may look bad, but that's not the problem--you want to breathe properly so you can think, function, sleep, and be properly.

Arnica in a 30c potency taken every 2 or 3 hours for a day or so should make you more comfortable. I don't want to suggest you take more than that, you won't need it. You will, however, after your rhinoplasty--it will help clear the swelling and bruisings up very quickly, as well as help the bones heal more quickly.

Okay, this detox stuff is NOT homeopathy. Neither, shudder, is the whole idea of a "colonic" Had to say it (not to mention that I was so freaking grateful, on reading Hahneman's Organon of Medicine, that the idea of a colonic is really only okay if someone's practically dead and needs the extreme shock of having one administered. But, ONLY then, and ONLY if it applies. So I would never, ever, ever, have to do it).

Homeopathic science fundamentally denounces the idea of needing to "detox" in any way, unless the person is "intoxicated". Poisoned, in other words--then you give a specific homeopathic medicine to help the body remove that poison, whatever it is. And that single remedy does the trick. This obsession with cleansing and detoxing is an old idea that forms the foundation of conventional medicine, the idea that there is some "materia peccans" (bad substance or thing) which creates disease in the body, and the body is just too ill-constructed and too dumb to get rid of that "bad material" on its own. Homeopathic science is all about how the body's own intelligent and individual life force is capable of healing anything in itself--it just needs the right stimulus. It does not need ionic foot baths or purges or leeches or any of that stuff to do it properly.

Sure, a nice dietary "cleanse" every once in a while--you know, drinking healthy broths and lots of water with salt and pepper and honey in it while limiting the diet to bland, light foods for a short period of time is refreshing. But "de-tox"? Unless you're pounding back daily bottles of Jack Daniels or cupboards full of pharmaceuticals whose effects we have no idea about, or drinking arsenic, there's not much you are "intoxicated" with in the first place. Rather, nothing your body isn't completely capable of clearing on its own. If it's pretty healthy.

If you had a problem anywhere in your body's ongoing and extensive capabilities of de-toxing itself, a homeopath would take your case and prescribe you an appropriate homeopathic remedy, one remedy at a time, so that your body would fix itself and the detox would take place as it should. Oh, yeah, there'd be case management involved to. Nothing "do it yourself", nothing "one size fits all", nothing "over the counter" promising to take the devil out of your soul.

You wouldn't get a colonic, you wouldn't get an ionic cleanse (I have very little patience with that stuff when I hear about what people charge others for it--and I get fucking furious when those people call themselves "homeopaths" when they simply don't even know the meaning of the word, they use it because they can prey on peoples' lack of knowledge about alternative medicine.

Caveat emptor.

Also, if people keep insisting you do something "for your health"--it's because they need the reassurance that it works for themselves, some headpatting so that they feel like they're doing the right thing. Their insistence that you do it too has very little to do with you.

rubberdollz
QUOTE(chachaheels @ Aug 15 2008, 10:28 AM) *
Okay, this detox stuff is NOT homeopathy. Neither, shudder, is the whole idea of a "colonic" Had to say it (not to mention that I was so freaking grateful, on reading Hahneman's Organon of Medicine, that the idea of a colonic is really only okay if someone's practically dead and needs the extreme shock of having one administered. But, ONLY then, and ONLY if it applies. So I would never, ever, ever, have to do it).

Homeopathic science fundamentally denounces the idea of needing to "detox" in any way, unless the person is "intoxicated". Poisoned, in other words--then you give a specific homeopathic medicine to help the body remove that poison, whatever it is. And that single remedy does the trick. This obsession with cleansing and detoxing is an old idea that forms the foundation of conventional medicine, the idea that there is some "materia peccans" (bad substance or thing) which creates disease in the body, and the body is just too ill-constructed and too dumb to get rid of that "bad material" on its own. Homeopathic science is all about how the body's own intelligent and individual life force is capable of healing anything in itself--it just needs the right stimulus. It does not need ionic foot baths or purges or leeches or any of that stuff to do it properly.

Sure, a nice dietary "cleanse" every once in a while--you know, drinking healthy broths and lots of water with salt and pepper and honey in it while limiting the diet to bland, light foods for a short period of time is refreshing. But "de-tox"? Unless you're pounding back daily bottles of Jack Daniels or cupboards full of pharmaceuticals whose effects we have no idea about, or drinking arsenic, there's not much you are "intoxicated" with in the first place. Rather, nothing your body isn't completely capable of clearing on its own. If it's pretty healthy.

If you had a problem anywhere in your body's ongoing and extensive capabilities of de-toxing itself, a homeopath would take your case and prescribe you an appropriate homeopathic remedy, one remedy at a time, so that your body would fix itself and the detox would take place as it should. Oh, yeah, there'd be case management involved to. Nothing "do it yourself", nothing "one size fits all", nothing "over the counter" promising to take the devil out of your soul.

You wouldn't get a colonic, you wouldn't get an ionic cleanse (I have very little patience with that stuff when I hear about what people charge others for it--and I get fucking furious when those people call themselves "homeopaths" when they simply don't even know the meaning of the word, they use it because they can prey on peoples' lack of knowledge about alternative medicine.

Caveat emptor.

Also, if people keep insisting you do something "for your health"--it's because they need the reassurance that it works for themselves, some headpatting so that they feel like they're doing the right thing. Their insistence that you do it too has very little to do with you.

Wow thanks for the info chacha! Cleansing has really become the word that's out there right now and I unfortunately fell prey to it. I've had a few over a few years and I always liked how I felt afterwards. When I was on birth control it used to cause yeast to grow inside. I was on medication for years because of the heartburn I felt every single day. I was miserable. Finally I read about colonics and decided to give it shot and found someone who does them in my area. I never told her about my problems but when she did the colonic she asked how I felt and I started to tell her. She told me about the yeast problem and then gave me olive leaf capsules to help fight the yeast. Unfortunately those only worked for a while until the yeast would come back. Plus I was getting sick a lot and she told me that yeast can cause those problems as well because it keeps growing and growing and honestly I wasn't changing my diet. I was eating sugar and breads.

I'm off the birth control and haven't had a problem with the yeast yet. I don't see any time now that I would go to get one done.

What about fasting or I noticed you mentioned a cleanse???? Have you heard of that "Master Cleanse." I've been thinking about doing a fast to help break this sugar craving. Any suggestions????
auralpoison
Cha, this lady has no idea what she's talking about, but she does say she is a homeopath! And I feel bad because my aunt isn't very worldly & just believes what her SIL tells her because she *sounds* professional. I bite my tongue whenever she's around because I don't want to call bullshit & start drama.

Cripes, you'd think we'd learn something from the story of John Harvey Kellogg. I hate cornflakes & I'd never let anybody shoot a gallon of yogurt up my ass in the name of health. And they'd have to turn me into an amputee to get me to stop masturbating.
chachaheels
Cornflakes (especially the ones made from nice genetically modified corn, which, these days, are all corn flakes) are slightly less nutritious than the cardboard box they come in. So, yes, do avoid them, and ask yourself how twisted a man whose whole intention in life was to stop masturbation could ever be thought of as anything other than a shill for bad product. The PT Barnum of Breakfast.

Like amputated limbs ever stopped anyone. Where there's a will...

I talked to a lady today who seemed astounded to realize that I actually went to school to learn homeopathy. My reaction was to laugh, of course: she meant well, she was really just interested, and she didn't know much of about alternative medicine, so the fact that someone would have to study it for any length of time surprised her. Thing is, it's voluntary study, if you want to use the term "homeopath", and a standard is being set, it's just being done slowly, for socio-political reasons. So, yeah, if your homeopath hasn't had the equivalent training of an MD, except in Hahnemannian homeopathy, then you're not dealing with someone who actually uses homeopathy. They might be great at what they do, but it's misleading for them to use that term.

As for your foot-cleansing nemesis, what she's doing isn't homeopathy...so why doesn't she just say she does ionic cleansing? It would help everyone become better educated.

And no means no, already.

The Master Cleanse I use is a very simple water with lemon juice, celtic sea salt, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper mixture that you drink over a number of days while eating a bland, light diet which delivers nutrients in an easy to assimilate form.

So you mix this up and you drink it throughout the day, for a number of days (usually one or two weeks, sometimes a month) and you eat a diet of poached fish or fowl, rich broths, light starches such as rices and light grains, cooked greens (steamed or wilted, served with butter and lemon) and steamed vegetables in moderation. Fresh melon and other fruit is also good but it must be limited. You refrain from drinking things such as coffee and various black teas, and alcoholic beverages for a short while. It's meant to be partly diuretic, partly stimulating, hydrating, refreshing, nourishing, and not too taxing on the body.
Once you do the cleanse for the duration, you generally need some food to kick up the bile production. The best thing to do that is a big fat well marbled steak (well, it doesn't have to be huge, the size of the palm of your hand, and about the same thickness). Or not--some people opt out of the steak eating entirely, and go for rich fish instead (shellfish or arctic char, for example).
pollystyrene
Has anyone ever been to an osteopath? I am looking for a new gynecologist and I went through my insurance company's website just to see who's in-network, and one of the doctors who came up is a DO- Doctor of Osteopathy. I did a little research, and wikipedia said they have a holistic approach, with a focus on muscles and bones. I understand it's all connected, but a gynecologist focused on muscles and bones seems like a bit of a stretch. Any thoughts?
ananke
I really liked my osteopath - fixed an ongoing skeletomuscular thing in my hip, even though it is exacebated by a permanent issue from my knee. Very little of the 'come back constantly' thing either.
chachaheels
Osteopaths are the forerunners of chiropractors; chiropractors are a little bit more about adjustments and realligning the body's skeleton, osteopaths tend to see the connection of the skeleton and muscle as a kind of alligned energy pathway in the body. Both believe that if things are out of whack then there will be illness, if not just pain. But many of both types of doctors do practice holistic forms of treatment in that they aren't just concerned with eliminating physical symptoms.

It's not an accident that so many gynecological illnesses and chronic diseases result for women in who find themselves stuck in very bad relationships fundamentally based on sex and love; or that women who feel heavily suppressed or silenced in their lives in some way develop diseases involving the thyroid gland--hashimoto's, or graves' diseases. You can decide to pretend the other realities aren't contributing factors and just "treat" the physical outcome of those factors, but that rarely makes the physical symptoms better for very long. So even though the osteopath sounds like not such a great idea, if it leads to a more holistic understanding of exactly how all kinds of factors in our lives affect our bodies, why not? Call a few up, have a quick conversation about your illness and their approach to restoring health, get a feel for the practitioners yourself. You'll be in a better position to decide with more information.
pepper
do they crackle your backle like my excellent chiro does? he's pretty freaking stellar at it and he's into holistic meddies too but i'm always willing to try something new.
chachaheels
They might crackle your backle, it depends.

Like I said, a lot of chiropractors seem to have picked up where osteopaths left off. Similar treatment method, slightly different approach perhaps.

Sometimes, chiropractic is the best thing for the predicament; most times, it can't hurt anything else you're doing.
persimmon_grrrl
Hi everyone! Happy health bustie vibes.

Unfortunately, I'm apparently not so healthy, according to recent blood results.

I'm a vegetarian with a triglycerides level in the 300s, or low 200s. Normal is way lower. Also, my D3 was really low, which means I've started taking a supplement for that. My lymphocytes, surprisingly, were also high.

I don't have any infections that I know of, and what concerns me most is the level of triglycerides in my blood. I'm otherwise healthy, and don't eat a lot of cholesterol-inducing foods. Dairy does a number on me, and I don't eat it. I also don't eat red, white, or blue meat. Sometimes, I've been known to eat sardines and salmon, but they sort of make me feel sick. So, I usually stick with the whole grains, beans and veggies. Fruits, too.

Can eating coconut oil, the kind that is first-pressed and cold pressed and alla that, raise blood serum cholesterol levels? I feel like I want to help my body, myself, with whatever is out of wack.

Lately, I've not exercised frequently, so I'm starting that again, and biked this past weekend.

But, besides DNA, what causes high triglycerides when the HDL and LDLs are othewise normal? I'm a young woman, and don't have any other major health problems. I also wonder what triglycerides are, and what causes them to be high, like what sorts of conditions pre-dispose someone to having that particular lipid level rise to an unhealthy amount.

Also, does anybody know what damage that does? Is it just arterial, cardiovascular damage?

And what can I do?

I'm supposed to meet with my doc and make an appointment, since I had two blood draws (the last one fasting), and both results were high. But, I'm just curious if anybody knows anything other than what I can get from a probably 20-minutes top talk with a doc, or from sleuthin online.

thanks a bunch,
too young to have high cholesterol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.