Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The General Health Question Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
crazyoldcatlady
there's a UTI thread HERE that discusses the finer aspects of avoiding the burn.

if you can't hop in the shower immediately after, the peeing is the best bet (stay hydrated after a sweaty romp in the sack!). over the counter women-specific (non-baby wipe) sanitary cloths may help, front to back, but soap and water is best. you may not even want to put your underwear back on right away. *especially* of it's a thong, or non-cotton panties.
summerbabe
QUOTE(crazyoldcatlady @ Dec 17 2008, 12:46 AM) *
there's a UTI thread HERE that discusses the finer aspects of avoiding the burn.

if you can't hop in the shower immediately after, the peeing is the best bet (stay hydrated after a sweaty romp in the sack!). over the counter women-specific (non-baby wipe) sanitary cloths may help, front to back, but soap and water is best. you may not even want to put your underwear back on right away. *especially* of it's a thong, or non-cotton panties.

Thanks crazyoldcatlady, that's so helpful, I'll make sure to read through the UTI thread. I do always pee both before and after sex. Good advice on not putting my underwear back on right away, as I always wear a thong and it's always still a bit wet when I put it back on and then I often wear it the rest of the day. I'll have to start carrying an extra with me, or going commando!
culturehandy
Thongs can also cause uti's. Since there isn't much in terms of material from ass to vagina, the bacteria can move more easily.
p_176
has anyone heard of oil pulling? i was googling sinus infection remedies, and up comes a lot of hits for oil pulling, which is where you swish oil in your mouth then spit it out since after swishing, it holds bacteria and such from your mouth, and it's supposed to do all this stuff.....I have not found a negative review of it so far.....
chachaheels
We talked about this in the Alternative medicine thread.

It's...what's the polite way to put this? Bullshit.

Eat your fats, that's a much healthier thing to do than gargle with them. If you must rinse your mouth out with something, use mouthwash. It will temporarily eliminate some microbes ("toxins") in your mouth but they all return very shortly. Why? Because they are absolutely vital to your health, they are not "toxins".

Same for a lot of what conventional medical people still persist in calling "toxins" in the body. We have elimination systems in place already, if they weren't working you'd know it. Unless you're ingesting poisons or taking enough of something to create an intoxication of some sort, your body's already designed to deal with it and oils you wash your mouth out with certainly won't "pull" those toxins out any more effectively. Detoxes, cleanses, high colonics, "pads" you stick to your feet that turn water black (cause they're usually filled with stuff that would change the colour of water anyway) etc. etc...all just babble. If you're really poisoned with something, your body lets you know--and when it does that, you'll want to go to the emergency room and have your stomach pumped, if it's severe; or you'll have to spend some time with vomiting and diarrhea, if it's not. If it's just a minor intoxication (like drinking enough to have a hangover) a dose of homeopathic Nux Vomica in a 30c potency will get your body to right itself in seconds flat.

p_176
i thought it was crap, 'cause i could find no medical support in favor of oil pulling, just people's anecdotes.

on another note, has anyone heard that Airborne (company) is being sued - Airborne is basically a high dose of vitamin C and some other vitamins found in a multivitamin, and it's supposed to HELP [the general] you not get sick, say, if you are somewhere like a concert where there'll be lots of people. As far as I understand, it's not supposed to ABSOLUTELY prevent sickness. But, the company is being sued by some people who took it and caught colds anyway. I'm like, if you're not taking care of yourself in general, you're still possibly going to get sick. And, even if you are taking care of yourself, you're still possiby going to set sick. Darn lawyers....
pollystyrene
Um, duh! All it does is take the edge off and maybe shorten it a bit. Basically, you can get a cold and continue to function.

People are dumb.
crinoline
Well, I'm certainly dumb at least.

Last night I took a boiling meatball gravy out of the oven (the top one that is located above my shoulders) and poured it all down my front.
So I'm scalded from my bellybutton to my knees. My father is a physician and he immediately stripped my clothes off and packed me in ice for six hours. Because of that, I have no blistering. My legs are basically sunburned but my stomach is a little more severe.
Does anyone have any burn recovery advice? My Dad just says for me to move around (so the skin doesn't stiffen), take Tylenol, and keep ice on it.
culturehandy
I think I'd listen to the dadster on this one.

(((Crin))) that sounds rather horrible.
zoya
((((crinoline)))) I dumped hot spaghetti sauce all over my hand one time, and got a hellacious burn. I can't even fathom what you must be going through, having that covering the front of your body. I concur with CH, definitely listen to your dad. If it gets really bad, you can have him get you silvadine cream, I had to put that on my hand when it blistered and the skin underneath was exposed - it helped it heal loads faster - but I'm sure if he thought it needed that, he'd give it to you. It's a pretty standard thing for bad burns.
ketto
I was going to suggest the same cream as Zoya. I've burned myself badly a couple of times and it helps it heal incredibly fast. (((crinoline))) Saving that though, I find aloe vera to be nice and soothing when I get burns.
zoya
ok, here's one for ya'll - a couple days ago, I woke up with a bunch of phlegm in my... well, upper chest. It feels like upper chest / lower throat. It's not fully in my chest, it feels like it's kinda sitting at the back of my throat, and I keep having to clear my throat or hock really hard to get pieces of it up. It's making me crazy, because I'm not sick, but it's really annoying - plus it's starting to make my throat scratchy. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting this shit out of me?
bottleblack
Zoya i get that sometimes too in the winter time. It's chest congestion, mucus coming from your lungs, and the only way to get rid of it is to, well, get rid of it by coughing it up. There is some over the counter products that work to loosen the phlegm making it easier to cough up. Usually it happens along with a cold though.
p_176
speaking of congestion, what do you do for a chronic sinus infection - that is now causing asthma symptoms.....<sigh>
p_176
never mind....went to the dr....on to Round Three with more antibiotics....
auralpoison
Have you tried the amazing neti pot, p_176? It seems weird at first, but it's the only thing that is helping me sleep at night because I get so congested. After the first time I did it, I breathed through parts of my sinuses that hadn't seen oxygen in YEARS.
p_176
yes, i've been doing saline rinses three times a day.....<sigh>
auralpoison
(((((p_176))))) Oh, you poor thing! That sucks rocks! Let's hope this time around the meds help you. ~*~*~*~*~*sinus vibes*~*~*~*~*~
mccain456
Hey, I am new to this so I guess I'll start from the beginning. About a year ago I developed kidney stones which required two surgeries. Ever since the surgeries I have developed the symptoms of a UTI every month. It comes and it goes but the weird thing about it is that all my urine test come back negative, so it is not a UTI. I am absolutely going insane. I am 24 years old and because of this condition I have to wear a pad everyday just to function each and everyday and I just want to be FIXED. So my question is has anyone ever suffered from this before? My symptoms are constant urge to urinate, with some mild lower abdominal pain. I have a co-worker who told me that this might be a really bad yeast infection. What do you think?

By the way I have another urologist appointment scheduled for the end of February, that is the earliest that I can get in, so we might end up doing exploratory surgery. unsure.gif
crazyoldcatlady
are urge to urinate and lower abdominal pain your ONLY symptoms that are like UTI? (i.e., no discolored urine, no burning) i don't know what kind of surgeries you had (lithotripsy?), or what kind of stones you had, because intervention/type can point to one diagnosis over another. i'm also assuming you're a chick.

BUT, your case sounds a lot like interstitial cystitis. Just a thought.

Good luck at your doctor's appointment.

By the way, since you're new: go to the newbies lounge and introduce yourself, sniff around some of the other threads.
p_176
thanks AP. i started doing the saline rinses more often, adn it seems to be helping more. i'm trying to not take the antibiotics.
sassy
Last night I was sitting on my couch watching a movie and I got really itchy. After a few minutes, I decided to look in the mirror to see if got bit by something and I had hives all over me. I freaked out a bit because I'm not allergic to anything that I know of, I didn't eat anything different yesterday, and I didn't use any different body products. I called my aunt, who is a nurse, and she asked me if I was stressed out because that can trigger hives too. But I'm not. I'm actually pretty relaxed because I'm on break from school. Anyway, I took some Benadryl and the hives went away but now today my face feels itchy. There aren't any hives, but my skin just feels irritated and itchy. Any ideas? Should I go to the doctor?
candycane_girl
I feel like I'm going a bit crazy. I am tired all the time and I can't stand it. I have low iron but my doctor put me on iron supplements and I have been trying to eat more iron rich foods. When I first had my blood tested my doctor said that my iron was at a 12 (I don't know what the unit of measurement is). After a few months of the supplements it went up to 44 but my doctor said the normal range is anywhere between 40 and 400. So I'm at the super low end of normal.

The thing is, I'm always tired and cold. Is it possible that I need something else? I just hate feeling so fatigued and freezing cold all the time. I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Sassy, I think if it's still bad tomorrow then definitely go to your doctor.
crazyoldcatlady
cc_g, there are several parameters that gauge your iron content and use in your blood. the "12" was probably your hemoglobin, with a normal range of 12-16 g/dL in women. The other measurements--the ones with the range of 40-400--don't really fit the ranges for other tests they would have run to check your iron situation. [There's total iron binding capacity (TIBC) that ranges from 240-450 ug/dL, or serum iron that ranges from 50-170 ug/dL in women, or hematocrit (36-44%, women).]

As far as being fatigued and cold, thyroid issues are always at the top of the list, but it can be due to other things: concomittant medical conditions, drugs (prescription or otherwise), and of course low iron or other blood component wonkiness. if your symptoms are fairly new, or if you've had them for a while and they're suddenly getting worse, perhaps you may need a proper workup.

sassy, if your hives and most of the itching is subsiding/improving, and you're responding to benadryl, it was probably some allergic irritation. something as random as sitting on the couch and having it come on innocuously is weird, though. were you doing something right before that? cleaning with chemicals? eating a new food? snorting cat fur? if it doesn't continue to improve, or if it gets worse, get a live professional opinion.
candycane_girl
I keep wondering about the thyroid thing. But when I had my blood tested my doctor said that everything else came back okay. I think that what bothers me is that it sort of comes and goes. I've never been a high energy person but sometimes I feel like I have trouble keeping up with everyone else. Like I need time to go and have a nap or something.
amazonprincess
Any tips on lowering cholesterol/thoughts on Crestor? I'm cleaning up the diet and exercising but it came back higher than before. I'm angry with the doctor because without discussing it with me she's prescribed Crestor. I've only been trying to lower it for three months and I think I can do it on my own. Not to mention my concerns about side effects. Anyway, any thoughts would be helpful.
rubberdollz
CC girl the problem with doctors tests of the thyroid is the variances. You could be at a lower end of a scale but still around a "normal" level for them when they read it so they don't see you as having a problem. Even a slight variation in your thyroid level can cause a problem. I found out I had a thyroid problem by taking my temperature at the same time every morning for a few days. My temperature would not go above 96 degrees, I was wayyyyy lower. I ended up getting on an iodine supplement and find that my energy level has gone up! I feel great and my temperature went up. It's really amazing what one little thing can do to your whole body and energy.

AP... I would not even think twice about going on a prescription. Those cholesterol lowering medications are so harmful to your body. Unfortunately I think doctors are going cholesterol lowering mad and want everyone in the world on them, it's a great industry. Keep you sick while they make money. What types of foods do you eat? What kind of oils do you cook with??? Do you like vegetable oils and eating margarine? Sugars??? Aspartame or Splenda? I'm curious as to your habits because a lot of what doctors recommend for lowering cholesterol actually do nothing for you. There is an organization called the Weston A. Price Foundation who promotes healthy eating and they tell you what is wrong with vegetable oils and various other types of bad fats. You eat fats but good healthy fats that your body needs and it also explains about "high cholesterol."
amazonprincess
Thanks for validating what I was thinking. The doc was so quick to prescribe the statin and the mere fact that she prescribed it without discussing it with me first had me ready to fire her (but I don't have another doc and need other meds). I declined it and told her I would be working on diet and exercise so she agreed to give me 3 months and if my cholesterol was lower 3 more months and so on. Which is good but of course I ultimately decide what goes in my body.

I had let my eating habits slip over the years and picked up some bad ones as well as several extra lbs. I've been researching what to eat (veggies, whole grain, olive oil and other monounsaturateds etc) and wanting to clean up my eating anyway since I feel so much better when I make the healthy choices.
rubberdollz
Well from what I've been reading about cholesterol it's not as bad as doctors make it out to be. The diet I follow (which isn't a "diet" per se) talks about cholesterol and you'll find they recommend eating good healthy fats. I've learned to cook a lot and make a lot of stuff from scratch now to help me avoid processed foods which a ton of them contain msg which is super bad for you. You may look into the website: www.westonaprice.org. It has some really great information on there about the types of healthy fats you should be eating.
ketto
I have an endocrinologist for my diabetes but I remember when I went to see her for the first time she did a full blood work up. She told me that I had very low bad cholesterol but very high good cholesterol. She said that typically at GP offices they don't test each one individually so I might appear to have high cholesterol. It's never come up since I'm 23 and a 'normal' body weight, but she always made a point of letting other doctors know if I'm ever to get my cholesterol tested. I'm wondering if it's really true that they aren't tested separately most of the time.
sybarite
edit
Persiflager
Nhs website says "Cystitis... can occur at any age...Children and men should always see their GP if they have the condition....Cystitis can also affect children. Their symptoms may include weakness, irritability, reduced appetite, vomiting, and pain when passing urine."

This BBC site is aimed at teenagers and there are quite a few comments from 14-year-olds at the bottom of the article, so I think it must be fairly common in younger girls.

BBC site says it happens 'for no good reason', NHS site lists these as the causes.
sybarite
Persiflager, those links are a great help: thanks a million.
Sweaty in Social Studies
Hello everyone,

I noticed this was a general health question thread, and I would like to know, does anyone here have any tips on treating eczema, more specifically atopic dermatitis?

Peace,
"Sweaty in Social Studies"
mumblestutter
disclaimer - i'm not a medical expert, i just have eczema. i feel like there are alot of different variables.

Like what's going on outside your body - frequent bathing/water/soap can strip away the moisture from your skin. Scented soaps/detergents/moisturizers can cause/aggrivate eczema. if you have other allergies (such as dust) keep that under control - there's supposed to be a link between eczema & allergic reactions. get a good thick moisturizer. aveeno is good. when my skin is REALLY itchy/painful/dry, i use straight up shea butter.

then there's the what you're putting into your body part. make sure you drink enough water. caffeinated beverages probabally don't help but i really enjoy em & drink em regardless. alcohol is for sure dehydrating & i SWEAR my skin is worse when i drink. make sure there's fat in your diet.

i guess i'm sort of assuming everyone would agree that water & fat help your skin retain mosture.

but in general, this stuff helps me.
culturehandy
where is said excema? In summer I get it on the top of my feet, and cannot wear any synthetic footwear, I'm usually stuck with wearing flop flops...the heat really gets to me. BUT last summer I started using tea tree oil lotion and a tee tree oil deoderant on my feet, and it worked fantastically.
hiddenpoet
my kid has eczema and we just use cortisone 10 cream for her skin, and then for her scalp we use a little baby oil and leave it in for a little while before a shampoo.
foryoursplendor
I have been working out regularly for a few months, and I've been increasingly getting numb hands/feet. They become numb sometimes after the workout, but more often they are numb for the rest of the day on and off.

I've had low blood pressure for years, and I suspect this has something to do with it. Does anyone else have low blood pressure or similar problems?
Sweaty in Social Studies
QUOTE(mumblestutter @ Feb 15 2009, 02:39 PM) *
disclaimer - i'm not a medical expert, i just have eczema. i feel like there are alot of different variables.

Like what's going on outside your body - frequent bathing/water/soap can strip away the moisture from your skin. Scented soaps/detergents/moisturizers can cause/aggrivate eczema. if you have other allergies (such as dust) keep that under control - there's supposed to be a link between eczema & allergic reactions. get a good thick moisturizer. aveeno is good. when my skin is REALLY itchy/painful/dry, i use straight up shea butter.

then there's the what you're putting into your body part. make sure you drink enough water. caffeinated beverages probabally don't help but i really enjoy em & drink em regardless. alcohol is for sure dehydrating & i SWEAR my skin is worse when i drink. make sure there's fat in your diet.

i guess i'm sort of assuming everyone would agree that water & fat help your skin retain mosture.

but in general, this stuff helps me.

I eat pretty healthy. I've went as far as going on a Macrobiotic Diet to help my skin, which did help but it was hard staying on it. And I try to drink about 6-7 glasses of water on a daily basis. My coffee intake is kept to a minimum. I drink coffee about once or twice a week. I actually do have allergies. When I was younger, I was allergic to milk and soy products and I grew out of it, currently, I have seasonal allergies, and I'm also allergic to dust. I neglect to take my Allegra, I don't think my not taking it could affect my skin, maybe it does. I use Aveeno as my daily lotion moisturizer. I don't drink or smoke.

Thanks for the advice everyone,
Sweaty in Social Studies
p_176
allergies and eczema are connected. when my allergies are under control, and my skin is hydrated, i have less eczema problems. i use a prescription strength lotion from the dr to handle the eczema as i need to.
mumblestutter
social - it sounds like your doing about what you can do. like i said though. those things *help* lessen my eczema. but i haven't ever been able to eliminate it. i've mentioned it do different physicians on 4 different occasions over the last 10 years or so. & get pretty much the same drill each time "shower less, use cooler water, try heave moisturizers" and they write me a prescription which is nice to have around does help, but smells like chemical manufacturing runoff & while it does lessen the pain it does some other weird things to my skin.

i'm pretty understated about things though - maybe a physician would have different advice were to act more emotional about it.

mostly, i just try to use moisturizers & include fat in my diet. i was raised in a household where fat was "evil" and did notice an improvement in my skin when i started including more avocados/tree nuts/olive oil/sesame oil in my diet.

in any case, good luck controlling the stuff. it can be really annoying. :/ if you stumble upon any magic bullet, i'd love to know.
rubberdollz
Have you also considered your detergent you use? I use to get eczema on the inside of my arms really bad and realized the detergent I was using was reacting to my skin. I also found this really great lotion called Key E by Carlson Laboratories, it's super thick and works great.

Also look at the soaps you use as well. Some fragrances and stuff can really affect your skin.
Sweaty in Social Studies
QUOTE(mumblestutter @ Feb 19 2009, 03:47 PM) *
social - it sounds like your doing about what you can do. like i said though. those things *help* lessen my eczema. but i haven't ever been able to eliminate it. i've mentioned it do different physicians on 4 different occasions over the last 10 years or so. & get pretty much the same drill each time "shower less, use cooler water, try heave moisturizers" and they write me a prescription which is nice to have around does help, but smells like chemical manufacturing runoff & while it does lessen the pain it does some other weird things to my skin.

i'm pretty understated about things though - maybe a physician would have different advice were to act more emotional about it.

mostly, i just try to use moisturizers & include fat in my diet. i was raised in a household where fat was "evil" and did notice an improvement in my skin when i started including more avocados/tree nuts/olive oil/sesame oil in my diet.

in any case, good luck controlling the stuff. it can be really annoying. :/ if you stumble upon any magic bullet, i'd love to know.

I've been put on Betamethasone Valerate, a really strong cortisone ointment, which was so strong, it not only cleared up my skin but thinned it out to the point of where it looks like I have stretch marks. Luckily, the stretch marks have went away. But I don't use it regularly anymore, I just use it when I need to. Overall, my skin isn't all that bad compared to how it use to be. I just wish I could eliminate the eczema entirely, which is highly unrealistic dry.gif.

Have you also considered your detergent you use? I use to get eczema on the inside of my arms really bad and realized the detergent I was using was reacting to my skin. I also found this really great lotion called Key E by Carlson Laboratories, it's super thick and works great.

Also look at the soaps you use as well. Some fragrances and stuff can really affect your skin.

I've pretty much taken all of the preventative steps when dealing with my eczema, which include switching detergents and not using harsh dyes and scented products. I use this vegan product with no harsh dyes and chemicals as a laundry detergent. It's made of saponin and soap nuts. The lotion I use is Aveeno. I may switch to something else. I always keep my eczema in mind when trying new products, knowing it can aggravate my skin. I guess what bothers me the most about my eczema is, no matter what, it will still be there. My skin is visibly better, it's healed over and it looks normal. But once in a while, a problem area will get itchy, and then it forms into a rash, which later turns into an inflamed patch, that eventually turns into a visible eczema outbreak.

My general practitioner actually recommended that I use olive oil as a moisturizer when I have an outbreak. Thoughts? I've been researching the benefits of olive oil, but I haven't came up with any solid, concrete information. Your input is very much appreciated. smile.gif

rubberdollz
Have you thought about even coconut oil even? That is supposed to be super healthy for your skin as well.

You may try that Key E lotion I recommended, my sister has horrible outbreaks of eczema on her skin and I gave her a jar of that lotion and it didn't break her out, she loves it.
Sweaty in Social Studies
QUOTE(rubberdollz @ Mar 2 2009, 08:26 PM) *
Have you thought about even coconut oil even? That is supposed to be super healthy for your skin as well.

You may try that Key E lotion I recommended, my sister has horrible outbreaks of eczema on her skin and I gave her a jar of that lotion and it didn't break her out, she loves it.

I looked at the Key E lotion you were talking about in the previous post. I noticed it contains vitamin e oil. I've actually tried using capsuled vitamin e oil on my eczema and it worked wonderfully.

I went out and bought some extra virgin olive oil the other day, and tried it out on a little inflamed patch on my hand. It's as if the E.V.O.O penetrated all three layers of my skin, and it stayed moisturized for several hours after applying it. Although, my only vice about the E.V.O.O. is it's greasy. I dabbed on a little too much and the small dab I applied turned into something that eventually covered half of my hand.The next day, I noticed that the skin on my hand looked a lot more smooth and supple. The eczema patch did heal somewhat, but not as well as using the capsuled vitamin e oil I usually apply. The capsuled vitamin e oil is thicker than the E.V.O.O, which is possibly why it healed faster. All these oils seem to have something in common. They all have healing, anti-inflammatory properties, which is probably why they make great moisturizers for eczema sufferers.

From what I experienced, I'd say I prefer vitamin e oil for spot treatment and a tad bit of olive oil as a moisturizer.

About the coconut oil ... I'll have to stop by the grocery store and purchase some. I'll give you my review on that in the future. Do you think coconut oil would be considered a scented product?
mumblestutter
Coconut oil has a distinctive smell... which the happen to use to scent things sometimes. But it's not a chemical fragrance so, it should be fine. I've never tried it as a moisturizer but I've thought about it on occasion when I get tired of using boring aveeno that smells like silly-putty. Also, I'm pretty sure I remember hearing in a conversation about cooking that there is a pretty refined version of coconut oil available that doesn't really taste like coconut in food. If you want to give it a shot as a moisturizer & just don't like the smell of it, you could seek that out (if it exists and i'm not imagining this).

You've got me thinking about experimenting with oils again! thank you. Sounds like you're having good luck. The one time I thought to use oil from a vitamin E caplet on my skin I found out quickly that the brand I bought had a fish oil base. Also. After reading about hemp oil having strong antiinflamitory properties, I bought some hemp oil. While it did make my skin feel alot better, I smelled like a pile of lawn clippings. NOT fresh mowed lawn, but old clipping that may have been rained on & then sat around for a week. Just thought I'd share so no one else has to learn these things the hard way tongue.gif
rubberdollz
Coconut oil does have a smell of well... coconuts but I don't think it is considered a scented product?

The only thing that concerns me about Aveeno is does it have mineral oil in it? If so I'm shocked that you use it since mineral oil is a natural blocker and won't allow the lotion to actually penetrate your skin properly. Most commercial lotions keep the mineral oil in them for this specific reason so be careful!

I'm glad that you checked out that Key E lotion. Unfortunately this winter has been super rough on me and I bought it for myself but when I visited my sister she showed me her legs and they were like giant red patches of red itchiness. I gave her my jar and she loved it and recommended it to friends and I never bought myself another one. Boo.

MS... sorry to hear about the experience with the hemp oil! hahaha.. hopefully it wasn't a lingering smell for you and disapated over a short amount of time.
chachaheels
Coconut oil is far better for your skin if you eat it--"treating" eczema topically only suppresses it, and this just leads to asthmatic symptoms or heightened allergies which often show up as allergic asthma. One or two teaspoons a day (you can put it in tea or have it with nut butters, or use it in recipes) will help your skin without making you sicker.

Another good approach is to use essential fatty acid supplements to give the skin what it needs so that it no longer creates the symptoms of eczema. I want to avoid repeating myself ad nauseum here (too late! I've found out) but I've posted how to use the essential oil supplements of fish oil and evening primrose oil often on the natural health threads and on the "how did my butt get so big" threads, so just check out the archives there.

If you're going to use any fatty acid supplement, whether it's the coconut oil on a daily basis taken internally or the omega 3 and 6 fatty acid supplements, make sure you use the freshest, purest forms of the fats available (extra virgin, cold pressed, expeller pressed, preferably organically grown). Most people suffer from exzema (and many, many other chronic diseases) not only because they're desperately in need of good fats, but also because most of our food contain fats that have been processed with things like hexane (a poison), or "stabilized" into trans fats, which simply can't give our bodies what they need to be healthy.
mumblestutter
I think it actually took a couple of showers for the hemp smell to go away. I don't think anyone else would have noticed the smell, but I knew it was the. The whole thing was pretty funny. OH! it's DARK green too so totally has potential to stain your skin. I'm sure that some where there's a higher grade, more purified version available but now i'm rambling.

I don't know about all kinds of aveeno, but the kind I have doesn't have mineral oil in it.

thanks for ALL of the info, EVERYONE. Definatly some new ideas to try out.
rubberdollz
Ooohhh that's some good info on the coconut oil, thanks Chacha!!! I know my sister just started cooking with it but I'll let her know to try to add it into her daily diet. She has really bad eczema and also she's a hairdresser and her hands are just tore up. They crack and bleed and she can't get them to heal, plus when her body starts going into a healing mode they itch and she can't stand it.

So here's a question. Is expeller pressed canola oil ok to eat? I buy this bread from the store, it's sprouted spelt and really yummy but some of the different variations the company offers they use expeller pressed canola oil and I've read that canola oil is not good for you. Just wondering if it's ok to eat if processed correctly.

Yeah I don't use Aveeno so I'm not sure if any of their lotions have mineral oil in them but thought I would throw that out there just in case.

Oh lord that's scary about the hemp oil... you try using it and possibly turn yourself into the Incredible Hulk or something!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.