Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The BUST General Knowledge Base
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
jami
Zoya - thank you!!! it sounds simiple enough, yet sounds like it will work!! I'll check the manual to see what I have to do. Don't understand the why, but if it works, I son't care...
~jami~
billybonka
Jami, look in your Netgear manual for "encryption". If your network is unencrypted, then anyone who can pick up the wireless signal can share your bandwidth. There is some setup involved on each computer that will be using the wireless connection, but it's a one time deal. Just be sure to use a password that won't be guessed by someone else!
jami
Billy.... thanks, will do! I'm getting better at passwords! thanks to all for the help
~jami~
zora
How does one convert from a GIF to a JPEG in Photoshop?
billybonka
Zora, you should be able to open the GIF, then use the Save As command to save it as a JPEG. I routinely use that way to convert BMPs to JPEGs.
zora
Rad, thanks.
falljackets
going to crosspost this in the barefoot thread, but thought i'd give it a shot here too:

i have some tilapia filets in the freezer that i'd forgotten about. it's been in there since april, wrapped in plastic and then in butcher's paper. it's been at the back of my freezer all this time. think it might still be safe to eat? i'm not sure of the shelf life of fish, as it usually doesn't last that long here...

thanks in advance!
pepper
freezer life is about three months. with fish i wouldn't take a chance but i'm a neurotic thrower-awayer!
treehugger
If the freezer is self-defrosting the food will get freezer-burned faster than it would if it were a "deep freeze", where you have to defrost it periodically...the fans and stuff really wreak havoc on the foods. Six months is the standard rule of thumb for lean fish, which I think your tilapia would be. Fatty fish such as tuna, salmon, or mackerel, are three months.
sixelacat
With your tilapia the easiest way to tell if it's still good would be to just thaw it and see. If it's got white spots after it's thawed pitch it, it'll taste nasty. Also give the thawed fish a sniff. If it smells like the freezer or overly fishy, it's got to go! A lot will depend on how fresh it was when you first froze it, and if it had been frozen/thawed before you got it (if it had already been frozen/thawed once-if say the grocer got it in frozen and thawed it to place it in their "fresh" display-it'll be mush when you cook it *shudder*). I've had some bad (restaurant!) experiences with re-thawed fish, and there's few things nastier.

Okay, now I'm just grossing myself out thinking about it. Yours is probably fine, FJ, you live MUCH closer to the sea than those of us in land-locked Midwestern states. There's a reason we eat so much beef!
raisingirl
White spots on fish? *shudder*
treehugger
Are there any Hotmail users here? Are any of yous having major issues accessing it for the past couple weeks?

I'm thinking of switching.....or is it just me?
walkingbitch
QUOTE(treehugger @ Sep 27 2007, 02:49 PM) *
Are there any Hotmail users here? Are any of yous having major issues accessing it for the past couple weeks?

I'm thinking of switching.....or is it just me?

need a gmail invite? i love that shit. and i have 4 other accounts that dump into it as well.
pollystyrene
Funny you should mention it, treehugger- both prophecy_grrl and I have been having issues with Hotmail the past couple weeks as well. For her, I think she's not receiving messages and messages she's sending aren't being received (I could be wrong about that) and for me, it's the fact that they switched my settings over to the "New and Improved!!" Windows Live version, even though I've set it to be the "classic" version....I emailed them over a week ago, they said due to the high volume of help requests, they'd be with my ASAP. Haven't heard form them since. Lucky for me, humanist had a gmail account and she sent me an invite. I'm still getting used to it, but it's a great improvement.

Now I'm just working on transferring all me emails and contacts over to gmail, which is complicated by the fact that I'm in a Mac-only household. But I think it will be worth the wait.
treehugger
well...I did it, I signed up for gmail. What's the invite thing? I can't figure out how to import my contacts though...it says to paste the list into a spreadsheet program...I don't have one. What to do?????
falljackets
hmm, no help on the gmail/hotmail issues. i just use yahoo...

but i did want to report back on the tilapia. i did the "thaw and smell test" and it was fine. i broiled it up last night and ate it with a side of basil parmesan couscous (i was watching top chef and got inspired) and some spinach sauteed with pine nuts. it was YUM. thanks for the assistance. i'm proud to say that i did not die of consumption. smile.gif
pollystyrene
The invite thing is that if you just go in and sign up for a gmail account, they make you provide a bunch of personal info. If you get an "invite" from someone who already has one, you don't- you just register your address and that's it. At least that's what I heard. I got an invite, so I don't really know what they ask for when you don't have one.

As for the importing of contacts and past emails, I'm still working on that. If I have to transfer my contacts by hand, I could. I only have 43 people in there, so it would suck, but not be impossible. It's the 1500 emails I've accumulated in the past 7 years of this address that I really don't want to screw up.
sixelacat
I have hotmail and Gmail. I've had the hotmail for, god, 10 years at least, so I did the address import when I started my first Gmail account a year or two ago. I don't know if you're on a Mac or PC, but Open Office is an excellent free suite of programs that mirror Microsoft Office. I used their version of Excel to create the csv file I needed to import my contacts. Really, I love Open Office and use it for everything, it saved my life as a student when I couldn't afford expensive Microsoft programs.

I've only had one issue with hotmail recently, when I tried to access my inbox it told me the server was down and to try later, but the message was worded like it had been having a lot of problems, probably with more than one server. That was yesterday, and it was back up today so far business as usual.

FJ, that couscous sounds yummy!
jami
http://mail.google.com
you don't even to have an invite anymore.
and they don't ask personal info. about the worst of it is asking for an alternate email address (to send a forgotten password to)
I've had gmail for awhile now, and I really like it. I do wish they would have FOLDERS for filing email. but they don't. that's my only gripe.
and so far the only spam has been from supposedly banks asking for my acct info. they do a really good job on spam.
jami
treehugger...
look on the left side. in the column it has 'contacts'. under your contacts is 'add contacts'
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer....amp;answer=8301
this tells how to import contacts.
hope this helps. to tell you the truth, I couldn't figure it out, and I just gave up on it. but now maybe I'll give it a go again...

northpole
QUOTE(sixelacat @ Sep 28 2007, 12:30 PM) *
I don't know if you're on a Mac or PC, but Open Office is an excellent free suite of programs that mirror Microsoft Office. I used their version of Excel to create the csv file I needed to import my contacts. Really, I love Open Office and use it for everything, it saved my life as a student when I couldn't afford expensive Microsoft programs.

I second sixel's vote for OpenOffice. As the name implies, it's open source, relatively small for the power it packs, is easy on system resources, and customisable if you're a programmer.

And it's FREE!! And interacts fine with Microshit products.

I, too, hate the "new and improved" Hotmail, but then again, I only use that account for signing up for message boards and the like; it's not my main email address.
treehugger
QUOTE(northpole @ Sep 29 2007, 03:12 PM) *
I second sixel's vote for OpenOffice. As the name implies, it's open source, relatively small for the power it packs, is easy on system resources, and customisable if you're a programmer.

And it's FREE!! And interacts fine with Microshit products.

I, too, hate the "new and improved" Hotmail, but then again, I only use that account for signing up for message boards and the like; it's not my main email address.

Thanks! Using Open Office, I was able to import 150 contacts! Now, if I could figure out who some of them are... wink.gif

I appreciate the guidance.
girltrouble
QUOTE(walkingbitch @ Sep 27 2007, 12:26 PM) *
need a gmail invite? i love that shit. and i have 4 other accounts that dump into it as well.

4? damn i've got like 21. that ish is like crack. i even have an account set up for any spam/emails i know i'll never want. "poop@gmail.com"
bunnyb
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best thread in which to ask but I am looking for knowledge...

I already have my thinking cap on for Christmas time and I'm going to make mix CDs for some people but want it to be all really cool/funky/outside the box Christmas songs instead of some of the over-played, nauseating Christmas songs you hear in shops from October onwards.

So far I have potentials from the Barenaked Ladies Christmas album, The Dandy Warhol's version of Little Drummer Boy, Tenacious D's Things I Want (featuring Sum 41), Rooney's Merry Christmas Everybody, Smashing Pumpkin's Christmastime, No Doubt's Oi to the World and the Dave Matthews Band Christmas Song and considering one of the Chrismukkah songs from South Park. They don't all have to be upbeat and I'm thinking of Joni Mitchell's River, Tori Amos' Winter, Sarah McLachlan's song from Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas or something from Wintersong, Fiona Apple's version of Frosty the Snowman and something from Jewel's Christmas Album Joy. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I want these mixes to be pretty unique as well as a rockin' good listen so any help would be much appreciated (hey, I may even send you a copy!)

eta: I'll probably add Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah too (as I said, it doesn't have to be upbeat!)
lananans
What about Merry Christmas Baby by U2? I'm not sure if that's overplayed or not, but its one of my favourites and I know that most people don't know about it. I'm a Christmas nut myself, so I'm taking note of these songs you mention, and I will definitely download them, haha. Christmas season begins in November for me! (I know, I'm crazy)
zora
Fairy Tale of New York!
treehugger
a few years back, I don't know, five or six, a friend sent me a copy of a song called "feliz navidad" by a Denmark group called Daze. It's quite techno/electronic. (I'm so old I don't even know the proper term.) I thought it was a pretty cool x-mas song and not traditional at all.

I can't find it on itunes though.
sybarite
'Christmas Wrapping' by the Waitresses. An 80s classic.

The Jewel album is good; I think there's also several Christmas carols sung by Dolly Parton with some other big country singers...
falljackets
bunny, check out los straitjackets christmas album. they are sort of surf guitar rock. think dick dale meets mariachi. i love their versions of sleigh ride and marshmallow world.

also, the squirrel nut zippers has a christmas album, as well as an extra track on their album "sold out". for your more liberal minded recipients, "santa claus is smokin' reefer" is cute. but they also do a jazzed up, rockabilly version of sleigh ride, among other favorites.

lilacwine13
Reverend Horton Heat has an album of Christmas tunes, and Low did a cover of "Little Drummer Boy" that's bound to be floating around somewhere. I want to suggest Cheech & Chong's "Santa Claus and His Old Lady," but that might be overplayed (or at least it gets played a lot on the radio stations here).

I've got a question regarding computers and disks. Sorry if this sounds stupid, but is there any way to retrieve information off of a floppy disk if the drive is saying it isn't formatted? I'm trying to get a few documents off of one and all the computers I've tried won't read it. Should I just give up hope and retype the documents, or is there a means to get them off and save them to a hard drive?
grrrlyouwant
is anyone else running the latest version of itunes on a windows xp system? the playback is all shitty and jerky, and if the google results are anything to go by, this is a common problem. all the solutions and advice i could find are for macs though; the few windows fixes i have found, which usually involved turning something off or downloading a codec, haven't done jack shit. help! i want to be able to watch the tv i downloaded without wanting to throw my laptop at the wall, seeing as i actually payed good money for it and all. *le sigh* this never would have happened if torrentspy hadn't stopped allowing u.s. users.
northpole
QUOTE(grrrlyouwant @ Oct 7 2007, 10:28 PM) *
is anyone else running the latest version of itunes on a windows xp system? the playback is all shitty and jerky, and if the google results are anything to go by, this is a common problem. all the solutions and advice i could find are for macs though; the few windows fixes i have found, which usually involved turning something off or downloading a codec, haven't done jack shit. help! i want to be able to watch the tv i downloaded without wanting to throw my laptop at the wall, seeing as i actually payed good money for it and all. *le sigh* this never would have happened if torrentspy hadn't stopped allowing u.s. users.

Sorry grrrl, I don't have any suggestions with regard to your iTunes question as I don't use/subscribe to iTunes, but I was rather shocked to hear that Torrentspy is blocked for you! I'm in Canada and can still access torrentspy as well as others, but Demonoid has been blocked because I'm in Canada mad.gif

Have you tried other torrent sites, or even joox.net? Or if you'd like, drop me a PM and maybe we can work something out.
shinyx3
hello knowledge base. i am working with a small company and i find myself needing to build a web site. i am a mac user but i nowhere near use my mac to it's full potential. (i sorta just fumble around it) so i am looking for program or software or internet site recommendations for a do it yourself website for mac.
bunnyb
shiny, I've heard that Dreamweaver is a good web programme but I'm not sure if it's mac compatible... I use a mac myself but have no experience of designing a website; although the boy has so I'll ask him what he uses.

Thanks for the Christmas mix suggestions; I've started compiling it although still have a few tracks to listen to and obtain.
pepper
hang on bunny, you should have some more music within the next two weeks. some of it is really great too, you might want to use a track or two. happy.gif

i know nothing about web sites. i know next to nothing about cmoputers! sorry.
bunnyb
Definitely, I can't wait!

I have ages yet, no rush ... I'm just excited.
kittenb
Does anyone here use the Yahoo Music Jukebox? I have been putting some of my CDs on the computer but I cannot make them play. Any advice? I am pretty sure it is a simple solution, like I am not hitting the right button, but I don't know what it is. In the upper right hand of the screen, it says Now Playing, but it doesn't seem to be.
grrrlyouwant
QUOTE(northpole @ Oct 7 2007, 09:40 PM) *
Sorry grrrl, I don't have any suggestions with regard to your iTunes question as I don't use/subscribe to iTunes, but I was rather shocked to hear that Torrentspy is blocked for you! I'm in Canada and can still access torrentspy as well as others, but Demonoid has been blocked because I'm in Canada mad.gif

Have you tried other torrent sites, or even joox.net? Or if you'd like, drop me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

all right, still no solution, and this only confirms my suspicion that despite the geek cred raised by clever marketing, all things apple are teh suck and should be avoided. torrentspy's what i used because it was the most reliable and familiar, and damn, i miss it. torrent reacter, sumo torrent, none of them have the consistency that torrentspy does/did. but thanks for the demonoid tip! i got the shows that were fucking up on itunes, and then some. i know you said you don't have access to the site anymore, but do you have access to an invite code? apparently i need it if i want to access any torrents that have been up for more than 24 hours. pm me!
raisingirl
Bunny, Tori Amos does a really sad/tragic rendition of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. It's a B-side of hers and I'm pretty sure she recorded it around the time she had one of her miscarriages. SO SAD. But really beautiful. Not sure if that's the vibe you're going for.

She also does a cover of Little Drummer Boy, I'm not sure where to find that as it was recorded much earlier in her career.

/Toriness
bunnyb
I must try to find those, raisin! I love her song Winter, though, and definitely including that.

I'm surprised you haven't read any Neil Gaiman yet to see what he does with the character based on Tori but I'd recommend him anyway.
treehugger
Just thought of this one...if your friends are peaceniks, there's one by John Lennon..."happy christmas". Or maybe it's already been mentioned.
bunnyb
I love Lennon's "Happy Christmas (War is Over)" but still undecided whether to add it to mix. You see, it's one of the ones that is overplayed here (so is The Waitresses song and Shakin' Stevens and many others) but it IS a classic...
treehugger
Ohhh...that's so funny because it's not overplayed here in hippie heaven! Weird.
treehugger
Didn't have to say it twice... smile.gif
bunnyb
I think the fact that it is a John Lennon song alone makes people play it a lot here.
alis1nner
(cross-posted to What Bands Are You Listening To, Mix Tape Swaperoo, and A Day to Remember)

Hello! So my question to you all concerns wedding music. I need help coming up with fast and slow songs that would be appropriate for a lesbian wedding - i.e., no "Cause I'm your lady...and you are my man". The invitees will be very mixed, from our crazy friends to relatives for whom this will certainly be their first gay wedding, so we want a good mix of music that will appeal to everyone - some classics, some things you wouldn't expect. Here's our list so far (it's short...we're having a tough time!!) Feel free to stray out of the genres represented here...we like everything!
Dance Songs (Slow)
Beatles – Something
Joan Osborne – Make You Feel My Love
Del McClinton – Sea of Love
Flamingoes – I Only Have Eyes For You
Dance Songs (Fast)
Abba – Dancing Queen
Blondie – Heart of Glass
Joan Osborne – How Sweet it Is
Stevie Wonder – Signed Sealed Delivered I'm Yours
Other Cute Songs
Aqualung – Brighter than Sunshine
Queen – You're My Best Friend

I would love to hear your suggestions!!!
treehugger
oooh...where to start?

First of all, have you checked into the "women's music" genre? Cris Williamson has some good stuff, it's a bit dated, but totally non heterocentric. You could also look at kd lang, melissa etheridge, etc.

Um...I'd love it if you'd consider Iko Iko for a just kind of bouncy song...the coconut song by Harry Nillson "she put the lime in the coconut, she drink the bowl up" that song would also be a fun song.

Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper is pretty gender neutral.

"you make me feel like a natural woman" by aretha franklin would be AWESOME.

oohhh...patsy cline's "I fall to pieces" has no gender references, either. And it's totally a classic love song.
alis1nner
Wow, these are great! I had thought of KD Lang and Melissa Etheridge, although I'll have to look through lyrics to make sure the songs I like are happy love songs, not "you two-timed me" or "we were never meant to be" songs! I've never heard of Cris Williamson - I'll see if the library has anything by her.

Iko Iko and the coconut song are fun!! We're actually going to have a bunch of Deadheads there mixed in, so I'm sure they'll appreciate their version of Aiko Aiko...I should probably figure out a good slow GD song too.

Time After Time, Natural Woman, and I Fall to Pieces - SOOO going on the list.

Thank you!!!
grrrlyouwant
i have a shitload of duplicate files on my laptop (which has two hard drives) and two external hard drives. i move stuff back and forth, dump things in random folders when i'm doing hurried clean-ups, and in short, organizing these things is a damn mess. is there any kind of program out there that will go through all my files and show where i have duplicates so i can more easily consolidate them?
treehugger
oooh...I just had another brainstorm for fun lesbian wedding music. Wasn't there a group called "blur" that did a song called "girls and boys" that'd be pretty hilarious?

Didn't it go something like "girls who like girls who do boys who do girls like they're boys who do girls like they're boys...oh i sure wish i'm what you really liked!....blah blah..."

Or something like that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.