Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The BUST General Knowledge Base
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
crazyoldcatlady
AP, it's someecards
auralpoison
Thanks, COCL.

Now, does anybody know anything about bikes? With gas prices being insane/trying to be eco-friendly & the fact that everything I need is in less than a mile . . . I need a bike. I've looked at the Walmart, but um, those bikes suck. I've been comparing cruisers online, but I don't want to buy a bike that I haven't been on. Which means I have to drive an hour to two hours to get a proper one. I know I don't want a mountain bike, they hurt my back. I'd like a recumbent, but they look so lame. And I'm not spending $900 on a bike. I'm looking at classic Schwinns right now. Any suggestions?

I've also been looking at the Forges. I like the style of them, but I am concerned that I'm going to be too tall. All the shorties think they're perfect, but I'm 5'9". I don't want to feel silly on the thing. Plus, I prefer to be more upright. I need 26"wheels, adjustable handlebars, & would prefer at least a 7 speed.

Sometimes I think about getting a Vespa, but frankly, I need the exercise.
kittenb
AP - I love the bike that I just bought. I got a Sierra Seven Schwinn (priced around $240.) They come in both 24" and 26", I think. Mine is the ladies style b/c I like the look of them better than the men's style.
I think what I have is considered a hybrid, a combo or a mountain bike and a cruiser. Pure cruisers are heavier than mountain and racing style bikes and I just don't like the style of mountain bikes and I hate the posture needed for a racer style. My bike lets me sit upright and is perfect for my knees.
I really recommend that you go to a bike dealership for your purchase, esp. if you don't know much about them (I knew nothing.) A bike salesperson can help you find the right style and fit as well as help w/any needed adjustments for your body on the bike.
Good luck!
treehugger
Computer shopping info for dummies??

I'm in the market for a new Windows based laptop

I'm just looking for some basic numbers like how much RAM, resolution, etc, for moderate speed applications. I don't do much gaming but I do dabble in digital photography.

If any more info is needed, let me know....I'm a little clueless.
treehugger
ohhhhkay.....

Eee PC?? Anybody have any experience with it?
lananans
treehugger -- I used to work in computer sales, si can offer some useful advice, I hope.

for photography programs on the computer you're going to want to have at least 2gb of RAM, preferably 3. (I would say 4 but vista 32 bit will only recognize just over 3gb).

get something that is Core 2 Dual, not Pentium D. Or if you're going with an AMD processor get what they call an X2 processor.

the rest ismore personal preference -- how much hard drive space you need, and what the screen looks like. If you're doing any games that are ram intensive you can get some higher end laptops that have dedicated RAM on their video card. make sure you're happy with the video card in your laptop when you buy it because it can't be upgraded.

the Eee PC's are good for portability, but if you want a laptop that is your main computer I would suggest getting something a bit bigger.
treehugger
Whew! Thank you, lananans...at least I have something to go on. I don't do games (scared of becoming addicted) so that's not a big issue.

Thanks again!!! wub.gif
lananans
glad to help smile.gif
hellotampon
Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced vacuum? Preferably one with a really good pet hair attachment?

I've been using an ancient Kirby one, and I love it- it works great and has a special pet hair thing that's amazing at picking up all the cat hair off the furniture.

Unfortunately I share it with my boyfriend's mother, who lives downstairs, and she's such a stupid, annoying, passive-aggressive bitch that at this point I would just like to buy my own vacuum because being this pissed off isn't worth it.

I'm actually leaving on Thursday or Friday for the rest of the summer to go work at the Cape so thankfully I won't have to see her for a while but I still want my own vacuum when I get back.
pollystyrene
I have this one, hello. It was reasonably priced ($150, or so, I think) but doesn't have a pet hair attachment. It bought it because it was the top rated upright (according to Consumer Reports) that wasn't an exorbitant amount of money. It has a very good allergy filtration system, though. Neither of my pets are excessive shedders, so I can't really say how well it does in that regard.

ETA: I take that back, it does have an attachment for pet hair, called the Power Paw. Like I said, my cat & dog don't shed much, so I think I have the Power Paw in the closet and forgot about it. I think I used it once, to vaccum the dust bunnies under the entertainment center and it worked, but was very loud. Probably because it was on a wood laminate floor, not carpet or upholstery, so there was nothing to muffle it.
hellotampon
oh my god, I think that's the vacuum my boyfriend's mom has, that "doesn't work" and is the reason we are sharing her old vacuum.

She's such a moron that she breaks everything, and even though she's got a warranty, she won't do anything about it.

It would be funny if I got the same one.
pollystyrene
I read your post in the other thread, hello- why don't you take the "broken" one and get it fixed? It may just need something simple like a new belt. That happened on mine after about a year and a half- it's really easy, I fixed it myself. You can order them right from Eureka; heck, you can probably get them at Target or someplace. You can tell you need a new one when suddenly it doesn't self-propel as much, like when you loose power steering on your car.

She sounds like a piece of work! rolleyes.gif
auralpoison
Anybody know anything about replacing air conditioner filters? I can't seem to find where it goes; I don't know this unit. It's a York.
hellotampon
I was thinking about that. Chances are, it doesn't need anything fixed. She probably just hasn't read the instructions properly! So I'm going to do that first.
girltrouble
tree would be the person to ask. she'd know more than anyone else
konphusion26
Previously posted elsewhere:

I just spilled red drink all over my computer desk, and some of it spilled off onto the carpet. D'OH!!!!! Any good tips on how to get that stain out???? I got as much of it out as i could. It's still a light red spot there. HEPPPP!!! There's one in my living room that my husband made months ago (much bigger!). Stain removers are not working, and the carpet is light gray in color so it shows up quite well. Any suggestions?

I think I got as much out as will come out. So probably pretty much stuck with red stains on my carpet. I need to get them professionally cleaned anyway so maybe they can get them out.
mouse
i am crossposting in other pertinent threads but i have a question--i'm looking into buying cloth pads, just as a backup for the divacup or overnight, and there seem to be a few to choose from. does anyone have experience with a specific maker that they loved? any suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks!
treehugger
Just saw this post, AP.

What kind of a/c?

If it's a window unit the filter should slide in behind the front panel, sometimes the panel flips out, sometimes it'll slide into a slot.

If it's a central air unit, the filter would actually be in your furnace. If you have no furnace, (you either live in a warm area, or you have a boiler) the filter would be located in your air handler.

Another thing on an a/c, it's a good idea to clean the "condensor". That's on the outside part with the fan (if it's a central air). Disconnect power and spray it down with a garden hose till the water runs clear. You may need to remove the cover to get that thorough a cleaning. If you take the cover off and it looks like christmas tree tinsel, be careful not to use too strong a water spray, because you don't want to dent the fins in and cause reduced air flow.

Hope this helps.
auralpoison
See, I can't find it! The one panel that opens up has no place for a filter to fit, but I know it goes in there somewhere because the guy brought the dirty one upstairs. I can't seem to find a slot for it anywhere.
treehugger
hmmm....did you see the old filter? Was it that flexible foam stuff,(like a really super thin cheap sponge) or was it a thin plastic screen-ish thing? Sometimes they're just kind of held in by the panel itself. I wish I could see the a/c.

What's the model of the a/c?
auralpoison
HA! I did it! There wasn't a hatch or anything to be opened, there was just a small gap in the side & that's where it went. HUZZAH! I am only kinda retarded!
girltrouble
huzzah?

vas ist der "huzzah?"

...is that like shazam?

waves at bustie butt buddie #1
auralpoison
*AP backs into room shaking her rump looking for some booty company*

"Huzzah is an English interjection of joy or approbation. According to the Oxford English Dictionary it is 'apparently a mere exclamation' without any particular derivation. Whatever its origins, it has seen occasional literary use since at least the time of Shakespeare."
treehugger
Yay!!! I'm glad you found it! Woo HOO!!! smile.gif
humanist77
So I've actually been riding my bike almost everyday this summer, and I'm getting really tired of carrying it up and down three flights of stairs. It's fairly heavy and I want to get a new one that's lighter. A coworker suggested that I go to a police auction to find one-he said his friend got a $1200 bike for $225! The auctions are held every month, and it sounds like a good idea, but I've never done a live auction, and I have no idea how they work. I'm not a very aggressive person, and the idea of having to decide in a split second whether I want to spend more just gives me anxiety. Any tips? Thanks!
deschatsrouge
Go with a budget. Most folks go beforehand to scope out the goods, which is a good idea. Pick out the bikes you want to bid on and decide how much you want to pay for them and when the bidding commences you will know your stopping point. It's good to have more than one bike in mind, because you may not win. Definitely have a number one two and three choice.
sybarite
Mouse, sorry, I've no idea.

Okay, stupid computer question #865: does anyone know of a Word application (or one by anyone else) which will scan a document for certain words, like a spellcheck? I need to change every single instance I've used a particular word, so scanning for it across my 65,000+ word thesis would make things easier...

Cheers, in advance!
pherber
QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Jul 10 2008, 06:18 PM) *
Previously posted elsewhere:

I just spilled red drink all over my computer desk, and some of it spilled off onto the carpet. D'OH!!!!! Any good tips on how to get that stain out???? I got as much of it out as i could. It's still a light red spot there. HEPPPP!!! There's one in my living room that my husband made months ago (much bigger!). Stain removers are not working, and the carpet is light gray in color so it shows up quite well. Any suggestions?

I think I got as much out as will come out. So probably pretty much stuck with red stains on my carpet. I need to get them professionally cleaned anyway so maybe they can get them out.

There's an old hausfrau trick, that prevents stains on carpets:
Immediately after spilling something, pour salt on stain, the salt will absorb the colour pigments from red wine, fruit juices, etc. make sure to use plenty, so the stain is completely covered in a thick layer of salt. After 15 min the mess is dry and can be hoovered- and voila no stain!

On older stains this might help: some washing powder mixed with water rubbed in with a brush, then soak the mess up with an old towel. Always rub towards center of stain, or it'll get bigger.
geekchickknits
QUOTE(sybarite @ Jul 19 2008, 10:36 AM) *
Okay, stupid computer question #865: does anyone know of a Word application (or one by anyone else) which will scan a document for certain words, like a spellcheck? I need to change every single instance I've used a particular word, so scanning for it across my 65,000+ word thesis would make things easier...

Cheers, in advance!

If you're using word, you can go to Edit, look for Find. Find will bring up a window with different tabs, one of which is Replace. You can type in the word or combination of words that you are looking for and what you want to replace them with and then click find next. It will jump to the first instance of what you're looking for. You can then click the Replace button to correct it.

Hope this helps!
sybarite
Thanks geekchickknits! I figured it would be something basic I just hadn't picked up on blink.gif Much appreciated!
crazyoldcatlady
is it possible to save photos from flickr as image files on your harddrive? or do they not let you do that?
candycane_girl
cocl, can't you just right-click them and save them?
Gypsymoth
My cat walked across my keyboard and it changed the display somehow so that my computer screen looks like a photo negative. Does anyone know how I can get the colors back to normal? I have a MAC, by the way.
crazyoldcatlady
i tried right-clicking, and it acts like its gonna save, but then when i go to open the file, there's no image. sad.gif
girltrouble
you can try click>drag>drop on your desk top. often that will save the pic to your computer catlady.

ok wierd longshot for all you literary busties: i'm looking for one of my old fav authors, but i can't remember his exact info.

his name is either alistair or walker or both, he is scottish and often uses word patterns on the pages of his books, he has a book that is his take on frankenstein that has two of these words:poor creature unfortunate monster" although i can't recall which.

help!
bunnyb
Alasdair Gray, Poor Things. Without a doubt in my mind.
girltrouble
omg..... bunny *gives her a huge, huge, huge, huge hug!* i have been trying to remember that for years. i was trying to figure it out on google for 2 hours last night. hmph. i'm asking busties first next time. y'all are the smartest evah! i lurves me big braineded busties! (and they all are!)

you don't know how happy you've made me, bunny. really. i'm so happy i'm shaking. thankyouthankyouthankyou!

do you know what that writing style is called, and can you recommend other books like that? i can only think of breakfast of champions...
freckleface7
does anyone know anything about the Religion of Islam?
my new Sister In Law is Islam(ic?) ( as well as my brother is converting & they are moving to her native country) & I have been wracking my brain for some sort of personal 'welcome to the family/sister to sister' gift for her and kept thinking jewlery and finally came up with something Celtic as it would very much relate to Our family's lineage (of which she has now become a part of, esp if they have kids) but am pretty sure the Celtic Cross (symbol of western Christianity) would be an obvious No Go for an Islamic Woman .. what about the Knot however?
that is a spiritual symbol yes, but not as Blatantly so.

any ideas or knowledge or suggestions, please, pm me or answer back bc it's very important to me to get this right.

culturehandy
Okay, so my audio isn't working on my laptop and it says no audo device is installed.

Uhhh, WTF? Any ideas what's going on and how I can fix it?
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(freckleface7 @ Aug 2 2008, 05:38 PM) *
does anyone know anything about the Religion of Islam?
my new Sister In Law is Islam(ic?) ( as well as my brother is converting & they are moving to her native country) & I have been wracking my brain for some sort of personal 'welcome to the family/sister to sister' gift for her and kept thinking jewlery and finally came up with something Celtic as it would very much relate to Our family's lineage (of which she has now become a part of, esp if they have kids) but am pretty sure the Celtic Cross (symbol of western Christianity) would be an obvious No Go for an Islamic Woman .. what about the Knot however?
that is a spiritual symbol yes, but not as Blatantly so.

any ideas or knowledge or suggestions, please, pm me or answer back bc it's very important to me to get this right.

I foundhttp://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=s...ing_id=13920178" target="_blank"> this </a> on etsy.

I have found many a nice thoughtful and appropriate gift on etsy. The print I found by searching Islam.
bunnyb
girltrouble, you're very welcome smile.gif. I love being able to connect or reconnect somebody with a great book or writer. As for the writing style... I can't think. I haven't read Breakfast of Champions but from what I know of it and having read Poor Things do you mean the writing style of a book within a book or the illustrations both Gray and Vonnegut include? I'm not sure what either of those literary effects are called, or even if they have a name... as for other examples, I'll have a think about it but off the top of my head I would suggest Nabokov's Pale Fire.
persimmon_grrrl
culturehandy: oh no! i'm a big fan of unplugging/replugging electronic devices to get them working again.

but in this case it could be an issue other than a bad connection...i wish i could be of more help!

hello all general knowledge busties:

does anybody:
1) recommend getting antivirus for a MAC; and
2) which do you recommend; and
3) are any of them free, like AVG antivirus for windows?

i heart avg and free antivirus software that *works*,
pg
girltrouble
dunno. both of my friends who run macs use minimal anti virus since most of bugs etc are for pcs. but i'll ask em.
bunnyb
I have a Mac and don't have antivirus because there's minimal need.

gt, my friend met Alasdair Gray at a wedding last week! She had a photo taken with him and he signed her copy of Lanark, which she just happened to have with her... He was as pissed as a fart though and whereas charming may not be the right description, cheery certainly would.
missladyj
Does anyone know the artist or the title of the song that is in the target commercial with the two roommates who are dancing and setting up their dorm room? I love the song. I also love how the commercial makes dorm rooms look really , really big. Thanks
girltrouble
wow bunny that is sooooo cool. although, i have to admit, i hate meeting people i admire. i much prefer meeting people i loathe, so they can confirm all my name calling suspicions of them.

as for the commercial ladyj i can probably find out, there is a great little secret website where you can find out the name of any music on a commercial: http://adtunes.com/forums

if it's not there then post the question, and someone will post the answer for you.
zoya
persimmon_girl - I was advised by the geniuses at the genius bar at the Apple store (I love saying that - how fun would it be to tell people when they ask what you do, "I'm a genius!"... anyway, I digress) that to install an anti-virus on OSX would not only be counterproductive, but could actually put things in places on the hard drive that could actually mess up the OS. OSX already has built in security - Apple is constantly sending software updates which usually include security updates (I have my computer set to auto download software updates once a month, and almost always there is a security update so I assume they are adding definitions for new issues that could arise once a month or so) that pretty much takes the place of any anti virus anyway

mornington
Freckle -
well... religious icons are haraam, but intricate artwork isn't, so a portrait wouldn't be appropriate. Scripture is pretty central in most art, or the hand of fatima. Does your sil-to-be wear the hijab? There are some gorgeous hijab pins on etsy if she does. How strict a muslim is she? If she is *really* (jelahibir and gloves, no photos, prays five times daily) strict, crosses may not be appropriate as it is considered haraam to own symbols of other faiths, but I don't think there would be a problem with celtic-influenced designs, but check with your brother. Could you ask your brother?
persimmon_grrrl
QUOTE(zoya @ Aug 16 2008, 02:12 PM) *
persimmon_girl - I was advised by the geniuses at the genius bar at the Apple store (I love saying that - how fun would it be to tell people when they ask what you do, "I'm a genius!"... anyway, I digress) that to install an anti-virus on OSX would not only be counterproductive, but could actually put things in places on the hard drive that could actually mess up the OS. OSX already has built in security - Apple is constantly sending software updates which usually include security updates (I have my computer set to auto download software updates once a month, and almost always there is a security update so I assume they are adding definitions for new issues that could arise once a month or so) that pretty much takes the place of any anti virus anyway

zoya - word. thanks for the reassurance on something i already felt "a hunch" about. i actually don't think most macs require any sort of antivirus software, since they're built (not to spill).

i feel reassured. the reason i was wondering if i should bother is because i'll be starting some pretty heavy video editing, and i want my computer to be safe and my files, too.
missladyj
thanks GT I will check it out
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.