Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The BUST General Knowledge Base
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
mouse
crossposting in emperor's new clothes:

does anyone know how much attention one should pay to that "dry clean only" tag? i just scored an awesome black shift-type shirt at my favorite thrift store and it says dry clean only, but it's a very simple cut and 100% rayon. it's very prone to wrinkling but would handwashing, air drying and ironing really be so bad? it's something i would wear a lot and don't want to pay dry cleaning costs all the time...
girltrouble
i wouldn't pay too much attention to it. about 10-15 years ago they passed some regulation that allowed clothing makers to put dry clean only on much of their clothes instead of printing real instructions. i think it was a liability thing, or to save money testing, or some such, but there was a huge bump, and it's never really gone down. rayon is usually pretty safe, esp. if you are careful in the dryer. but if you're not sure, use woolite in the gentle/cold cycle and you should be fine. do be more cautious with knits however.

more info here:dry clean only?
auralpoison
Unless it's something extremely elaborate/delicate, it doesn't require drycleaning. You should be fine handwashing or machine washing in a sweater/lingerie bag.

I'm allergic to perc, it makes my eyes swell shut & gives me breathing drama, so I dryclean almost nothing. Yeah, it's bit more intensive, but I'm not very messy, so it's all good.
pollystyrene
The only things we dry clean are our wool winter coats and LeBoy's suits, which he only wears to weddings, funerals, job interviews, etc.

Oh, and we have this big comforter that LeMom gave us that's too big to even fit in a regular washing machine, even the jumbo ones at the laundromat.

One thing you might look into, if you're going to have things professionally cleaned, is wet cleaning. Dry cleaning is bad for the environment, bad for the people who work with it and actually causes a lot of wear on your clothes. Wet cleaning is much better on all counts.

A lot of people are sensitive to those chemicals, AP- if you do dry clean something, always let it air out somewhere away from your living space (like a garage or something) before wearing it or even bringing it into your house, with the plastic bag off, for a couple of days.
deschatsrouge
I ignore the dry clean only completely. I just wash in cold on the gentle cycle and air dry.
mouse
GREAT thank you ladies! i already have a few things i wash and drip-dry, and i use a lingerie bag for my fancier/pricier lingerie so i already have a routine for it to fit into! yay. thanks for the advice busties!
popelizbet
Hey there BUSTies...

Ages ago I was zendreads on this forum, so if any of you remember me, HIIIIII. It's been an interesting four years or so.

I was wondering if any of you remembered the semi-recent BUST article on how to make reusable shopping bags out of the plastic disposable kind. HELP!

Glad to be back.

~Pope Lizbet
zendreads once upon a time.
kissmeducky
QUOTE(popelizbet @ Aug 26 2008, 02:51 PM) *
Hey there BUSTies...

Ages ago I was zendreads on this forum, so if any of you remember me, HIIIIII. It's been an interesting four years or so.

I was wondering if any of you remembered the semi-recent BUST article on how to make reusable shopping bags out of the plastic disposable kind. HELP!

Glad to be back.

~Pope Lizbet
zendreads once upon a time.

Wow, what weird timing that I just read this. I wrote a blog post today (well, technically yesterday) about that which I first discovered from that Bust article. It's not as good as giving you the original article, but I'm guessing the instructions are basically the same and I put a link to a pattern for a tote bag from the plastic bag material. Here's my site: Audrey Monroe By the time you read this it should still be the most recent post. If not it shouldn't be too far down the line or you can just click on the DIY section.

Hope this is what you were looking for!
mouse
free mac antivirus programs--anyone know about em? i seem to have contracted this ridiculous thing where my browser sometimes redirects to a weird ad search site (either wsearch or road runner). i've tried resetting my browser, no dice. i've tried other browsers; it happens on them all. i even rebooted my router online, and it still happens. this is a 4 year old mac powerbook on its last legs, and i'm getting a new computer soon, but ideally i'd like to still have a laptop to use. anyone have any advice, or should i just suck it up and pay the mac geniuses $50?

also--it's really random. it doesn't always happen. but when it does, it takes over everrrrything.
girltrouble
it's on a mac? you might want to google the sites it takes you to and "mal ware" or malicious software. but that's what it sounds like. you might want to just suck it up if you try installing some things and it doesn't work. but a quick google search yielded this:

http://www.cyberanswers.org/forum/spyware-...?referrerid=379

scroll to near the bottom and there seems to be a solution. my advise when googling solutions is DON'T download anything unless you've heard it is a fix on two different sites, or one that is reputable (i.e. cnet, wired, mozilla, apple, etc.) because you could be making it worse.

i had some bad malware that took me DAYS to figure out. it was on a pc, so it was i'm sure much worse.

good luck.

gt
pepper
Fused Plastic Bag Tutorial.
gluelita
< plug >
google chrome is spiffy
< /plug >
mouse
thanks gt--i actually did find that, and i do have a SMC wireless modem (though my crotchety old computer doesn't recognize airport anymore so i use the cable wire). i did what they told me, and that was when it changed from redirecting to wsearch to redirecting to roadrunner. but it hasn't done it for the past few days, so maybe that actually did something *cross fingers*. thanks though
girltrouble
yay! glad the problem was resolved
pepper
QUOTE(popelizbet @ Aug 26 2008, 02:51 PM) *

Here's another tutorial.
vixen_within
Are there any Skype users here? Do I need to buy a Skype phone to use it?
Queen Bull
Vixen-- I use Skype occasionally, and I just use a headset. It works fine. Really, you just need an input microphone and some speakers. It doesnt have to be Skype's particular brand of goodies. smile.gif
vixen_within
It just sounds too good to be true innit?
I'm thinking of subscribing and ditching my cell. Fuck Bell Canada.
Thanks for the info Ms B
lananans
Fuck Bell Canada is right. I am almost at the end of my three-year contract, THANK GOD.

I seriously lust after an iphone but I just can't justify the expense.
crazyoldcatlady
i got neosporin on my favorite white teeshirt. i put it through the washer and dryer, but now it just looks like a grease spot. ideas on how to get it out???

and lananans, if it makes you feel any better, the iphone reception can be very picky, and in the fine contract print, they don't guarantee it will work in buildings (!)... and half the time it doesn't.
pepper
you set the stain when you heated it in the drier, sorry babe it's there for good now.

here's a site with info for next time.
persimmon_grrrl
hi knowledgeable busties!

i have a mac-related question:

i don't use a mouse, i love my track pad and that's my main mode of transportation on this computer.

however, recently (within the past five minutes or so), the following happens:

when i try to highlight text within a given application's browser (for example, firefox) to copy/paste it, the entire browser window moves. once it has met it's "limit" in terms of the desktop window, whatever i'm trying to copy will highlight. but this is getting dodgy...literally.

does anybody know what causes this and how to just have the browser stay put while i highlight text within a given browser?

i hope this makes sense...

pg
culturehandy
So, I'm looking to get a telescope, nothing too crazy, but something fun nonetheless, does anyone have any tips or a good site that can give me pointers?

I know nothing about macs.
lananans
pg -- if you go into your preferences there's something called... scroll lock or something in that area??? And it gives you the option of double clicking on a window and then you can drag it.... I dont know if that makes any sense.. I had a mac that just died a few months ago so I'm kind of out of touch. If the bf was home I could look at his mac and check...

which one do you have? I had an iBook g4 and it died. I was very sad. Now I just have a Gateway that was cheap, because for my last semester at school I just bought whatever would work.
kittenb
Can someone please explain to me what it means when something is described as "post-modern?" As in, "We will examine [fill in the blank] in the context of a post-modern world."

Thanks.
culturehandy
Kitten, I suppose that it depends on what your blank is. wiki has a fairly full lexicon of the numerous ways post modern can be used.

and here is a satirical way of post modern speak.
kittenb
Thanks, ch wub.gif . It seems to mean what I kind of thought it means.

I loved the satire piece. I may need to memorize that for school. happy.gif
sybarite
Kitten, the wikipedia entry provides a useful overview. In addition, in some arguments, postmodernity began with the oil crisis in the US in 1973.

Postmodernism can be described as reducing everything to the level of the commodity: i.e. removing the distinction between 'high' and 'low' culture and bringing everything to the same level. Irony, pastiche and kitsch became popular cultural forms within this expression of postmodernism.

There are multiple, competing and contradictory definitions/theories of postmodernism. Some define it as 'post-modernism' as in after modernism, some as postmodernism (no hyphen), i.e. an extension of modernity. Discussions around postmodernism proliferated within cultural studies in the 1980s in particular--it is now widely recognised as a cultural moment that has passed but that remains worthy of critique.

I can email you some reading suggestions if you PM me.... /nerdiness
girltrouble
oh post the links syb. i love reading p/m theory.

/nerdiness too
bunnyb
I always thought the article by Lyotard (is it called "what is post-modernism?"?) was good and accessible.
sybarite
I'd be a Jameson girl myself bunny, especially the essay in this collection.

Or if you have a week or so, David Harvey's The Condition of Postmodernity lays out the economic as well as cultural arguments; this is a breakdown of some of his args.

(too lazy to find links to actual essays: they were only in paper form when I read 'em...)

Totally check out Lyotard and Baudrillard as well though.
girltrouble
*wallows like a pig in....lipstick?* nah. but i am feeling some serious bustie crushes starting in my crooked little heart.....*swoon*

you just say baudrillard and i gets me a lady boner!

auralpoison
HELP! I'm using my mom's crappy-ass Dell pc. I downloaded updates today & now everything is for the myopic or else teeny tiny! I can't find the nice happy medium I've always had. I tried tech support, but I'm not patient enough to be condescended to by somebody that I can barely understand. The fuck am I doing wrong?!
girltrouble
is it just the browser, or is it stuff on the desktop too?
auralpoison
It was everything!

I sucked it up & lucked out with a nice agent named Shravanti. She got things back on board.
pepper
son of a BITCH! i dont' have a cell phone but just found out that my cordless phone may be killing me even faster. maude damn it all to hell!
candycane_girl
I wasn't sure if this should go in here but it's sort of a general knowledge question, that is, for people who have knowledge of pies. I was watching the premiere of Pushing Daisies last night and I was wondering what pie they are making when they put a little bit of grated cheese on top. I'd be really grateful to anyone who knows because I want to experiment with making pies.
girltrouble
i'm no pie expert, but isn't that an apple pie thing?
pollystyrene
I know it's sort of a midwestern, Wisconsin specifically, to eat apple pie with cheddar on the side.

Actually, I have seen a recipe for pie crust with shredded cheddar in the crust.....checks recipe folder in email...ah-ha! It was a winning recipe from some Chicago high school student who entered some cooking contest. I've never made it, but it looks good!

TARTE AUX POMMES

Ingredients:
Bottom Crust
2 c Sifted all-purpose flour
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs granulated sugar
2/3 c. Crisco all-vegetable shortening
1 Tbs vinegar
1 egg, plus 1 egg white
5-6 Tbs water

Filling
4/5 sliced peeled apples
2/3 c granulated sugar
1 can apricot halves, sliced
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp almond flavoring
2 Tbs brown sugar
2 Tbs cornstarch
2 Tbs water
1 Tbs butter

Top Crust
2 c graham cracker crumbs
1 c chopped pecans
3 Tbs softened butter

Garnish
1-2 Tbs sugar in the raw
Dough from bottom crust
Food coloring

Directions:
Bottom Crust
Combine flour, cheese, salt, and sugar in mixing bowl. Cut in shortening
with a pastry blender. Combine vinegar, beaten egg, and water. Add liquid
mixture to flour mixture 1 Tbs at a time until the dough pulls away from the
sides of the bowl and a ball is formed. Cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Filling
Cook sliced, peeled apples and 2/3 c. sugar in med. Saucepan until slightly
tender. Combine lightly cooked apples with apricots. Combine cinnamon,
nutmeg, salt, and brown sugar. Mix in with fruit. Add almond flavoring. Roll
out bottom crust and place in pie pan. Brush top of bottom crust with beaten
egg white. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes. Add filling. Cut
butter into cubes and spread out over filling.

Top Crust
Blend ingredients and sprinkle over filling. Top with cut outs from
remaining bottom crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 degrees F for
approximately 35 minutes.
candycane_girl
I've heard of the whole apple pie with cheese thing. For some reason though I thought that maybe it was a pear pie and yet I can't seem to find any recipes that mention cheese. And I think it wasn't cheddar, it was something else like gruyere or something.

edit, nevermind! I just googled the words pie and gruyere and apparently it was an apple pie on the show!
rubberdollz
That was on a movie... eating apple pie and there was a slice of cheese on top. I about lost my lunch watching that. Just looked nasty. Is it actually good?
pollystyrene
It is actually. It's just a little cheesy sharpness to go with the tart sweetness of the apple. Could be worse- some people do el cheapo American cheese with it, like Kraft singles. Eww.

I've always seen people eat it on the side, just breaking little bits of cheese off in between bites of pie. I don't think I'd want it all in the same bite.
starshine
I could greatly use some busty general experience/knowledge here. I'm co-facilitating a support/information group for girls in grades 9 through 12 at our local alternate school (it's for kids who don't fit in at regular public school whether due to violence, bullying, family problems, etc.). We would like to focus on topics such as self-esteem, communication skills, drug/alcohol use, healthy relationships, media, and feminism.

I would love if any busties could offer suggestions of topics they wish they had had when they were in school, as well as any activities or resources. And if you've run a group such as this, I would love to hear about it (particularly successful activities).

Thanks!
pollystyrene
Well, I was going to suggest that you check out Girls, Inc., but their website is either down or they don't exist anymore. If it's the latter, I blame George Bush.
mornington
starshine, this one deals specifically with drugs/alcohol and is aimed at teenagers. It gets a bit annoying, but the information is good. And this looked interesting. All I seem to remember from that kind of lesson (I think it might have been that they were lessons to start with) was that they talked down to us a lot, which I'm sure you won't do! Good luck, I'd love to hear how it turns out.
starshine
Thanks for the help mornington and polly, I've found some really interesting ideas. I would still be up for more however if anyone else would like to add.
treehugger
I just got a new computer (XP though) and the media player is screwy, the colors are wild, psychedelically so. What can I do to correct this? I am able to play You Tube, etc.
vixen_within
Hi Treehugger, I wish I could help but I don't have a clue.

I have an odd question - does anyone know of a good live stream kitten cam?
zoya
OK, maybe someone will be on here who knows what I should do.... I've already called the only guy I could think of that might have any idea what to do, but aside from asking if there was any smoke and telling me to call the building management company (which I've done, but no ones gotten back, it's 8:30 pm) he had no ideas or advice...

so - I turned on the heating and after awhile I realized there was a sort of plastic-y burning smell. I thought maybe something was on the heater, but I looked at all the radiators and nothing was on or touching them. I realized the lights were off in the kitchen, when I thought they'd been on, so I hit the switch and nothing. I then realized the smell seems to be coming from one of the kitchen lights - they're those type of ikea lamps that are hard wired into the ceiling, so the wire hangs down, and there's a glass shade on the end. I'm really nervous that the wiring is somehow burning up there. I've switched off the lighting and the smell seems to have settled down.

I've called the one emergency electrician number I could find, but no reply so far... does anyone know if there is anything I should do, or should absolutely not do? Should I fuck with the breakers and turn that one off (except I don't know how I would figure it out, because the lights aren't working there anyway so how do I tell if thats the breaker) it's freaking me out...
pollystyrene
Is it the first time you've turned on the heat in awhile (like more than a month)? Usually that smell occurs when the heat's been off awhile.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.