Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The BUST General Knowledge Base
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
girltrouble
so i know there is some way of programming your browser to search other websites from the adress window. does anyone know how to do it? i remember it has something to do with typing in the word
:TEST:
in the search window or some such, but i can't remember.

help, busties, haaaaalp!

ETA: it's probably too late, but someone forever ago asked how to de-shrink a wool sweater that had shrunk in the washer. according to the handy, but somewhat dubious book, urawaza:do everything better, secret everyday tips and tricks from japan,
one should make a mixture of hair conditioner and water, then submerge the sweater in it for a half an hour. seems something in the conditioner, amodimetheicone, does the trick.
dolor
CandyCane Girl,

If you can get a hold of the Cambridge Companion of Habermas, (ed Stephen White) the second essay is a contrast between JH and Adorno, in regard to their ethics. Then at 276-82, you have Habermas in contrast to Kant, again in regard to their ethics. Not as useful for you as a contrast between Adorno and Kant, but it should help you triangulate.

These are 3 massive Germanic heavy-weights, so I wonder what your prof has in mind...? I assume that the topic is focused upon whatever particular readings you were assigned. (And Kant is not concerned with "the culture industry"!)

Good luck!
candycane_girl
Thanks dolor. We're just supposed to say whether or not Habermas' public sphere or Kant's public reason are relevant to Adorno.

I'm getting frustrated. I'm trying to write about how low and high culture are forced together (as Adorno says) and I can't even think of an example. I'm supposed to summarize the five main points of his article and I feel like I'm all over the place.
dolor
Well, that first citation covers Habermas' public sphere (in regard to Adorno) and the latter pertains to Kant's public reason.

But I don't know anything about Adorno's notions of public reason. He's better know for the degradations of mass culture.

As example of how high and low culture are forced together:
PBS,
modern remakes of Shakespeare (like that Romeo & Juliet movies that was set in Miami gang world.) Of course, Shakespeare was already high and low when he put his plays together.

Have you determined what the 5 main points are? If not, ask around.
starpiste
coming out of the woodwork to see if anyone can do some tiny (2 words) but specific latin translating for me?
girltrouble
i have a friend who took latin in highschool what are the words?
starpiste
1. pattern (like a sewing or knitting pattern), or directions, instructions, to get that meaning. The primary singluar version.
2. Stitches (like stitches you sew) would like the full version, singluar and plural ending.

Thanks so much if you can get those. I'm not finding anything online and my dictionary is boxed up in storage.
girltrouble
no problem. i sent the email. i don't know how long it will take him to get back to me, since he's dodgy with the emails. but as soon as i get something i'll relay it...
crazyoldcatlady
i need to rip and burn a dvd. what program(s) do ya'll use?

zoya
I use handbrake. that said, the last time I ripped a DVD was about 2 years ago, so there are probably other, maybe better programs out there.... sorry, I suppose that wasn't much help!!
bunnyb
I use Toast (well, rarely do I need to but it's what's installed) although it's Mac only.
vixen_within
hi everyone,
I'm looking to build my website and the search is on for the right web designer. I'm having the horrors over choosing the wrong person. What are some good questions to ask a prospective designer to ensure the right skills and the right match?
sybarite
I'm the most amateur of web designers but I used to review them and my office hired a company to do ours... I would suggest being very clear about what exactly you want your website to do or communicate. Are the aesthetics especially important to you or is the main point to get information across? Will you be updating it or will they?

Once you know what you want your website to do your initial consultation/conversation will be that much more productive. Any decent designer should have solid examples of their work available: I would browse those. A good designer should also be aware of how to raise your site profile on google and show you how to track traffic.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious: it's been a while since I've been involved in the process. Good luck!
vixen_within
Thanks Sybarite, this is just the kind of information I need. It isn't obvious to me at all!
kittenb
There used to be a thread here called, "I have to clean all of this?!" all about housekeeping. I wish it was still around. I need some advice and tips ladies. I cannot stay on top of laundry. It is a family trait. There is always a big pile waiting to be done and no matter what I do, I never seem to get to the bottom of.
Is there anyone who actually has an organized system of laundry that keeps things from getting out of control? What is it? Please share. Thanks.
girl_logic
How many people's laundry are we talking about here Kitten?
Perhaps you could start with separate bags for colours, whites, delicates and dry-cleaning.
kittenb
At this moment, just mine. As of next week, there will be two of us. I am afraid of what might happen, frankly. I am not as messy as him but he keeps up w/his laundry better. I actually enjoy doing laundry, I just always seem to have too much of it to do.
Persiflager
Umm, sounds like laundry should be one of his chores biggrin.gif

I do laundry on a Monday evening (as that's the night I'm usually in) - machine goes on while I'm cooking dinner then I hang the clothes after I've eaten. Sheets and towels get done on a weekend morning - I get up, throw them in the machine, head back to bed with breakfast then chuck them up/out to dry before I head out for the day.

Sorry, this is from a UK perpective - do you have to go downstairs to a laundry room?This website has a good list of tips.

I second the tips on having separate bags for colours, whites, delicates and dry-cleaning (so you sort as you go), establishing a routine and having all your products etc ready in a caddy.
kittenb
Thank you very much! Someone actually found the old housekeeping thread so I am going to move my response over there. smile.gif
pollystyrene
I used to get a catalog when I lived with my parents for a chocolate shop, I think out of L.A, and I'm trying to remember the name....I think it started with a B- Burgot's? Something like that. I think they made chocolate "mice" though....anyone know the name?
girl_logic
Bissinger's?
pollystyrene
Nope, but I found them! They're not based in L.A.; the company is called L.A. Burdick, but they're based out of New Hampshire. Cute little chocolate mice and penguins (it's the penguins I'm actually looking for).
raisingirl
Burdick's has a cafe in Harvard square and it is LEGENDARY......... cool.gif
kittenb
I WAAAAAAAAANT a chocolate PENGUUUUUIIIIINNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pollystyrene
laugh.gif , kitten!

Does anyone have a memory foam mattress topper? I want a queen size one and I'm finding them from $150-$550....I don't want to spend more than $150-$175 or so (I guess I'd go up to $200 if it made a difference), but I don't know if those are even worth buying.

Any recommendations?
auralpoison
Does anybody out there have any rec's for ice cream makers? I'm wanting a 1-2qt model. I'm leaning towards a Cuisinart, but I just don't know.
candycane_girl
Does anyone know how to do a screen cap on a Mac?
girltrouble
candy you can find downloads that will do caps for you. i use copernicus. you can find it here it's extremely easy to use. wink.gif
pollystyrene
You should have an app on your mac called Grab (Finder --> Applications --> Utilities --> Grab) that will do captures. It's really easy to use. Comes with OS X.
zoya
CC girl - or you can do ctrl (or "apple" depending on which model mac you have) + shift + 3

that will take a screenshot. if you turn up your volume, you should hear a click like a camera when you hold all three keys down at the same time. The screenshot will save to your desktop automatically.
candycane_girl
Aha! I knew there was some key combination that would do it. A friend told me years ago but I just couldn't remember what it was. Thanks!

I think it should be noted that my interest in screen caps comes solely from the post about the "STFU, Parents" site in the CBC thread.
raisingirl
This question could go in a number of threads, so I'm gonna ask it here: Do any of you use a heart rate monitor that DOESN'T have a chest strap? I have an old heart rate monitor (Polar), but the chest strap isn't working too well (I think it got stretched out from too much use). I want to buy a new HRM, but wanted to hear some firsthand stories of what's good/bad, and if you'd even recommend one that doesn't come with a chest strap. Has the technology gotten better so that the chest straps are now outdated? Help. Gracias.
Persiflager
Question for any cycling Busties:

Yesterday, I retrieved my old bike from my parent's garage where it's been peacefully snoozing for about 15 years. I washed it with soap and water to remove the worst of the dirt, put a bit of oil on the chain etc, and left the rust on the frame to deal with another time.

I then brought it back to my place and left it out in the rain all night! Dammit, it wasn't raining when I got home, and I was planning to go out and buy a cover today.

What should I do to remove rust and protect my bike against further damage? Sadly, it will have to live outside for the foreseeable future.

Thanks very much!
girl_logic
I have a related question Persiflager - I'm going to deal my rust by painting over it with glossy rust paint - My question is, if I spray spray paint into a container and apply it to the bike with a fine brush, will it still look as good? Or does that kind of paint dry too fast for that?

treehugger
You can buy rust converters. It changes rust into a glossy black coating, and it will prevent further rusting. It's meant to be used as a primer-so you'd paint over it. I've used it and it works well. I can't remember the brand but I found it near the rust-oleum spray paints. Maybe it was made by them?

We stock it (rust converter) at work.

girl-logic, I don't think you'll have luck doing that. It dries pretty fast, and it's not formulated to self-level, so you'll get brush marks and streakiness. Why don't you want to spray it on?
Persiflager
Thanks treehugger!
girl_logic
Hi treehugger!
It's because there are a lot of details I don't want to spray over and I also don't have a large airy area where I could spray freely without worrying about spray all over other things. Maybe there's a rust paint in a can that could work if I apply it in really thin layers..I'm not sure.
treehugger
Yes, you can get rust paint in a can. It sort of smells fishy though, I think it has fish oil in it or something! Anyway, it's oil based, so you'll want turpentine or paint thinner to clean your brush afterwards. Rustoleum isn't a bad brand.
edie52
Persiflager, before you try the paint I would try taking some steel wool to the rust- especially on the chrome parts. It'll take off the newer, superficial rust and shine it up.
Persiflager
Cool, thanks edie! I think most of it is quite superficial. I'm waiting for a sunny day now so that I can spend some quality time out in the garden with the bike and make it all pretty!
Ireie
Okay, so I may totally be in the wrong place for this, but I am looking for some help regarding reading material for my 8 year old daughter. I was in the kid's section looking for some simple chapter books for her and wanted something with a good female heroine. I looking for something that isn't about princesses or stereotypical girly. I'd appreciate any suggestions or even a point in a good direction. Her reading level is about that of the Magic Tree House books, which seem to be a favorite so far.
pollystyrene
I bumped up the moms of older kids thread for you Ierie- you'll probably get some good suggestions there.

BTW, have you tried any of the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary? Charlotte's Web. Anne of Green Gables is probably a little old for her- maybe if you read it to her?
Ireie
What's the name on the thread and where can I find it? She has one Ramona book that I think fell victim to the car. I know my Mom has Ann of Green Gables so I can borrow that to read with her.

Thanks!

QUOTE(pollystyrene @ May 28 2009, 07:01 PM) *
I bumped up the moms of older kids thread for you Ierie- you'll probably get some good suggestions there.

BTW, have you tried any of the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary? Charlotte's Web. Anne of Green Gables is probably a little old for her- maybe if you read it to her?

pollystyrene
Oh, sorry, meant to link to it, here.
pollystyrene
This was a postcard on PostSecret this week; didn't someone here have a link to some website with photographs of labias, specifically to show how different they all are? I want to send the link to Frank in reply to this postcard, but I don't want to do a search for "labias"- cod only knows what I'd find.
treehugger
Was it this website, polly?
missladyj
Ireie,
I would suggest a Wrinkle IN Time by Madeline L'Engel, The Black Stalllion series by Walter Farley ( no female lead) , Harriet the Spy ( I don't remember the author) Shelia the Great. that's all I can think of for now.
pollystyrene
Cross-posting in the home decorating thread:

Does anyone know if/where I can download a template to hang photos like this? I want to buy the frames myself but want something to help me hang them in that sort of clean square. I don't have $350 to spend on it, so if I can just get a template that would be great. And it doesn't have to be 10 frames or that layout.
stargazer
Polly, this article seemed helpful for creating your own template. My suggest would be to trace the outline of the frames you want to hang up in an arrangement. You will want to also identify where the nail or whatever you use will go. That bit always seems to get me. I can measure the frame accurately, but, I always forget about measuring where the hook on the frame is. Good luck!
roseviolet
Polly, I saw your question over on the House of the Gods thread first, so I put my suggestion over there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.