Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: barefoot, precocious, and in the kitchen
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
candycane_girl
I think I'm going to be in charge for most of this year's Christmas dinner as my mother is out of commission. Usually we just do plain stuff like beans and mashed potatoes as side dishes but I want to liven things up. Does anyone know of any sort of exciting side dishes? Like maybe different takes on the traditional side dishes?
tesao
candy cane: this is one of the potato dishes that we use at thanksgiving. you might consider it instead of mashed potatoes - it is really really good. no leftovers! ever!

Asiago and Sage Scalloped Potatoes

2 tablespoons butter
2 medium-sized onions,
thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons)
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/4 tablespoons salt, divided
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
1 1/4 cups heavy cream

1/2 cup milk
1 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese (about 3 ounces), preferably aged (if Asiago is not readily available, you can substitute aged Parmegiano, Romano or other sharp hard cheese)
1 cup plain dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons EVOO

2 1/2 tablespoons finely shredded fresh sage
leaves, divided
2 1/2 pound potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onions and cook, stirring, until golden or approximately 8 minutes. Add garlic, bay leaves, nutmeg, 1 tablespoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper; cook for 30 seconds. Add cream and milk; bring just to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes.

In a medium bowl, toss the Asiago or Parmesan cheese with bread crumbs, olive oil, 1/2 tablespoons of sage, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.

Remove the bay leaves from the onion mixture and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons sage. In a large bowl, place the sliced potatoes; add onion mixture and toss gently. Spread 1/2 of the potato-onion mixture in a 2-quart baking dish; sprinkle 2/3 cup of the cheese bread crumbs over the top. Cover with the remaining potatoes and press firmly to pack them down. spoon the remaining liquid over the potatoes and cover with remaining cheese bread crumbs.

Bake in the middle of the oven for approximately 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden; if it browns too quickly, loosely cover the dish with foil.

Notes:

Be sure to slice the pototoes as thin or thinner than stated, otherwise they will not cook through.

Unwhipped whipping cream may be substituted for the heavy cream. Do not use sweetened or artificial whipped cream (no cool whip!)

This dish can be baked up to 5 hours ahead; let stand at room temperature. Rewarm in the oven before serving.

Makes 8 servings.

(i have other things, too, including lots of different takes on cranberry relish, gouda cheese and bacon mashed potatoes, etc etc. let me know)

candycane_girl
tes, how much asiago is involved? I didn't see it on the ingredient list.
tesao
good catch, candycane! apparently part of my ingredient list got eaten when i made that copy/paste! i also left out the bread crumbs!

it calls for 1 cup grated aged asiago. you can use any grated aged sharp cheese, preferably italian.

i've fixed the recipe in the original post now.
quantumspice
It's not really that exciting, but instead of plain old mashed potatoes, I'm doing more of a twice-baked -- mashing with sour cream, roasted garlic infused cream, roasted garlic, cheese and then piping them nicely in a cone shape, letting them rest overnight, and 15 minutes before serving time, warming them up & serve garnished with some chives!

tes, ma amie, so glad to see you posting biggrin.gif Ça va? Et Mimi?
erinjane
My mom makes this really good potato dish at the holidays. She buys a bag (or 2) or those small cubed hashbrowns, cooked them up with onions and spices, and then bakes them in the oven mixed with cheese. She doesn't have a precise recipe because they're pretty simple to make, but if you want some more details about it I can get them from her.
quietmadness
ERINJANE: Are you talking about HASHBROWN CASSEROLE?? Sounds like what your mom makes. At our house, we just call it "potato crack." Because it's so addictive!! biggrin.gif
erinjane
It's probably pretty similar. It always goes so fast at our place, everyone loves them. smile.gif
tesao
QUEUE!!!!!

cherie! ça va trés bien, et toi??? quand est-ce-que tu viens me voir???? BISES!

um, and what is this "It's not really that exciting" merde??? what is not fantastically exciting about

"mashing (potatoes) with sour cream, roasted garlic infused cream, roasted garlic, cheese and then piping them nicely in a cone shape, letting them rest overnight, and 15 minutes before serving time, warming them up & serve garnished with some chives
" pray tell?

that sounds so good my stomach is growling and my mouth is watering.

speaking of mashed taters, and since you are here, do you have the recipe for the Gouda Mashed Potatoes with Bacon and Chives that was in the thanksgiving issue of Cuisine at Home? i made them for turkey day when i was at home in november, and oh my i mash have them again! (hee)
quantumspice
Oh yes I do! Since you've seen that issue: do you remember the Duchess potatoes recipe? That's basically what I'm doing, only with roasted garlic instead of tomatoes. And maybe some Gouda tongue.gif Chives will definitely be involved, as they are the Garnish Of Choice this year (there'll be a chive and bacon garnish on the cream of corn soup, chives with the potatoes, and chives with the veg).

Oh! Instead of a tart pan, I'm just going to use our springform. They won't know the difference, and it'll still be yummy. (Read: I am way too lazy to fight traffic to get a tart pan)

In other cooking news, I made lime and lemon curd last weekend for cookies. Said cookies are gone, but I've got curd left. I'm making another batch of the coconut cookies to kill the lime curd, and theoretically, this afternoon I'm making a coconut cheesecake with lemon curd anglaise with the last of the lemon curd. (The cookies were awesome, and I couldn't believe how different they all were considering I had just made a massive amount of sugar cookie dough and then either added stuff to the dough or rolled it in stuff, and then filled them.)
tesao
why, ma'am, yes indeed i do recall that recipe! no wonder they sounded so familiar!!! wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

so, darling, will you please post the recipe for the gouda mashed taters? merci bien!!!

(didn't have time to make the citrus curd cookies, but they sound YUM. any significance to the lemon/lime theme??? what's up with him, anyway?)

quantumspice
Oh, he's gotten a huge kick out of this semester, playing tutor. Still being friendly, but not friendly (if you know what I mean), and we're both not dating other people, still.

No significance to the cookies though, I was doing a holiday cookie exchange and wanted to do as many cookies out of one dough as possible, so I ended up doing fancy drop cookies - things like coconut flake-lime curd, lemon-raspberry jam, chocolate-toffee, coffee-chocolate, pistachio-lemon curd, spice-pumpkin butter, rum iced, walnut-apple butter, blahblahblah - using Alton Brown's sugar cookie dough as a base.

Of course, it occurred to me as I was driving home today (the day after I mailed it) that, uh, mailing cookies filled with jams and fruit butters and citrus curds was maybe not the brightest of ideas. Oh well, at least she lives in Chicago, and it's sub-freezing here and there. But the ones I kept were absolutely delicious and we're down to two lemon-raspberries and a handful of the traditional jam filled ones (from more than 10 dozen cookies)

Duchess Potatoes with tomatoes
Makes 4-6 services
Total time: 40 minutes

2 lb Yukon gold or russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2" chunks
1/2 C heavy cream, warmed
1/2 stick (4 Tbs) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 egg yolks
1/2 c tomatoes, seeded and diced

Preheat oven to 450F; line a baking sheet with parchment.
Boil potatoes in a large pot of salted water until fork tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain well, then mash until smooth.
Stir in cream, butter, and yolks just to incorporate; fold in tomatoes and salt. Transfer potatoes to a pastry bag filled with a 1 1/2" star tip.
Place 4-6 mounds onto the prepared baking sheet and bake until tops are lightly browned, 15 minutes. (Potatoes may be piped, covered, and chilled up to 1 day ahead.)
Serve immediately.

Basically, what I'm doing instead is using the sour cream in place of egg yolk, flavoring the cream with roasted garlic, and adding cheese instead of tomatoes, making it more "twice-baked potato"-y than this. Piping is so much more convenient and attractive than having to refill potato skins and what not. And I'm going to garnish with chives (because I needed chives for the soup and you can't just buy one or two little chives, nooo you have to buy a metric ton) and maybe some bacon.

My Christmas dinner, if I can buy everything in the budget I have been given, is as follows:

Appetizers: Dips (goat cheese/fig/date/walnut and cream cheese/caper/tomato/red onion/lox and possibly one ranch-like one) and dippables.

Bread: Sweet rolls with homemade pumpkin butter

Soup course: A creamy corn soup, with small diced potatoes and garnished with bacon and chives

Main course: Standing rib roast (with a dijon/horseradish/rosemary smear) and a merlot reduction, the mentioned twice baked/roasted mashed potatoes, and roasted vegetables (carrots, parsnip, red onion, turnip, green beans)

Dessert: Dark chocolate tart with raspberry and white chocolate glaze

Wine: Ch Ste Michelle's merlot
candycane_girl
Thanks for the recipe Tes! I will definitely be trying it out!
quantumspice
Christmas dinner was nummy!

auralpoison
SUCCESS! This year I was permitted to cook one of the family staples of Soul food xmas & I got raves. They may ask me to do the veg again next year. Huzzah!
sarasota
i have a bunch of grapefruits left over from the holidays, and while i love to eat them plain, i dont think they will last that long... any ideas on something to make with them?
catsoup
I'm not a grapefruit fan so I'm no help.

Anyone have any good cheese or chocolate fondue recipes? I got an electric fondue pot for Christmas (strange I know, but that's my grandma for ya) and think I want to have a fondue dinner party. Just cheese and chocolate though - none of that cooking meat in oil bullshit. smile.gif
turbojenn
sara - I never get tired of eating grapefruit, but when you have excess, make juice! And then make margaritas! Works for me...

Or, and avocado and grapefruit salad with a cumin-sherry vinaigrette. YUM.
sarasota
turbojenn, could you post the recipe for the avocado and grapefruit salad with a cumin-sherry vinaigrette cause that sound SUPER yummy. do share smile.gif
tesao
grapefruit are also pretty yummy sprinkled with brown sugar (or honey) and cinnamon and grilled til they are just warm....

anyone have a good recipe for vegetarian mushroom stew??

opheliathemuse
so, I think I'm going to try going to raw food for a little while. I'm mostly vegetarian/vegan as it is, and I want to kind of have a detox. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have visions of salads and smoothies...
tesao
omuse, wish i could help, but i've never been vegan. best of luck to you!

regarding the mushroom stew recipe, i made one up, which was okay but nothing "to write home about", so i asked mr. hotbuns to look up the one that we have "at home". here it is, for the next time:

HEARTY HARVEST MUSHROOM STEW

* 5 tbls butter
* 1 tbls olive oil
* 2 bay leaves
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 1-2 large yellow onions, chopped
* 2 tbls flour
* 1 cup vegatable broth
* 1 cup tomato juice
* 2 cups peeled, quartered tomatoes
* 1 teaspon thyme
* 1.5 lbs mushrooms (cut larger ones into halves or quarters)
* 1 lb small boiling onions
* 4-6 tbls dry red wine
* 2 tbls chopped fresh parsley
* 1 cup pitted green olives

In medium sauce pan melt 1 tbls of butter with olive oil, bay leaves,
garlic and chopped onion. Saute until onions are golden.

Stir in flour and lower heat. Cook roux for several minutes stirring
constantly.

Add vegetable broth and tomato juice. Stir with whisk to remove lumps
and add tomatoes.

In large pot melt 3 tbls butter. Add thyme and mushrooms. Saute
mushrooms over high heat for several minutes, turning them over.

Add boiling onions and roux.

Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Add wine, parsley and olives and cook for 10 minutes longer.

Serve with good bread and red wine.

NB: i'm notoriously picky about my olives; i usually don't add them at all. just as yummy!
sexysandee
last night I made green enchiladas....yummy..... I make my own tomatillo sauce, the can stuff doesn't do it for me smile.gif
beautycastvixen
Great recipe. Thanks...I will have to try it

QUOTE(tesao @ Jan 8 2008, 09:31 AM) *
omuse, wish i could help, but i've never been vegan. best of luck to you!

regarding the mushroom stew recipe, i made one up, which was okay but nothing "to write home about", so i asked mr. hotbuns to look up the one that we have "at home". here it is, for the next time:

HEARTY HARVEST MUSHROOM STEW

* 5 tbls butter
* 1 tbls olive oil
* 2 bay leaves
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 1-2 large yellow onions, chopped
* 2 tbls flour
* 1 cup vegatable broth
* 1 cup tomato juice
* 2 cups peeled, quartered tomatoes
* 1 teaspon thyme
* 1.5 lbs mushrooms (cut larger ones into halves or quarters)
* 1 lb small boiling onions
* 4-6 tbls dry red wine
* 2 tbls chopped fresh parsley
* 1 cup pitted green olives

In medium sauce pan melt 1 tbls of butter with olive oil, bay leaves,
garlic and chopped onion. Saute until onions are golden.

Stir in flour and lower heat. Cook roux for several minutes stirring
constantly.

Add vegetable broth and tomato juice. Stir with whisk to remove lumps
and add tomatoes.

In large pot melt 3 tbls butter. Add thyme and mushrooms. Saute
mushrooms over high heat for several minutes, turning them over.

Add boiling onions and roux.

Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Add wine, parsley and olives and cook for 10 minutes longer.

Serve with good bread and red wine.

NB: i'm notoriously picky about my olives; i usually don't add them at all. just as yummy!

roseviolet
After hearing about it for a whole year from every cooking blog on the internet, I FINALLY got around to making No Knead Bread. Oh my goodness, it is so good! And really easy, too. I spent less than 5 minutes work on the dough. The only hard part is that it has to sit out for up to 20 hours, but that's time when most people can be sleeping and working, anyway, so I don't see it as a problem. Just whip up the dough before going to bed at night & finish it up when you get home from work the next evening.

This website has a great step-by-step tutorial. The writer wanted to show how easy it is to make this bread, so she had her 4 year old son make it. The pics are very helpful (and pretty cute, too).
http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/09/10/n...read-revisited/

tesao
obrigada, rosie v!! i'll have to give it a try this weekend!

(those pix ARE pretty cute!)

best of luck, beautycastvixen, it really is tasty stuff!

LoveMyPugs
QUOTE(quietmadness @ Dec 18 2007, 11:32 PM) *
ERINJANE: Are you talking about HASHBROWN CASSEROLE?? Sounds like what your mom makes. At our house, we just call it "potato crack." Because it's so addictive!! biggrin.gif

We make this stuff called Tator Tot Casserole at my house. It's cream of mushroom soup, a bit of onion, some sour cream and lots of cheddar cheese all mixed together. Then you toss in a big bag of tator tots. Coat them well and bake them till browned and OH...MY....GOD!!!! IT'S SO FREAKING GOOD.
sexysandee
QUOTE(LoveMyPugs @ Jan 22 2008, 12:39 PM) *
We make this stuff called Tator Tot Casserole at my house. It's cream of mushroom soup, a bit of onion, some sour cream and lots of cheddar cheese all mixed together. Then you toss in a big bag of tator tots. Coat them well and bake them till browned and OH...MY....GOD!!!! IT'S SO FREAKING GOOD.

OHHH, I am going to make that... yummy smile.gif
auralpoison
Tonight I am preparing the trailer park feast of Coca Cola ham & a sweet corn pudding. I feel like I need another side, but I can't decide what . . . any suggestions?

ETA, I think I might make blondies with vanilla ice cream & caramel for dessert . . .
sexysandee
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Jan 25 2008, 11:28 AM) *
Tonight I am preparing the trailer park feast of Coca Cola ham & a sweet corn pudding. I feel like I need another side, but I can't decide what . . . any suggestions?

ETA, I think I might make blondies with vanilla ice cream & caramel for dessert . . .

something green.... Greenbeans or a nice salad of leafy greens with tomatoes and cucumbers
auralpoison
That's what I was thinking, SS, but . . . this sounds so horrible, but the redneck has a redneck palate. He eats canned, boxed, frozen garbage (Or he makes a pot of chili & eats it for a week). I can't do canned/frozen veg just because, well, they're disgusting & I can't. I'm all about fresh, unprocessed foods (I only use the Coke in this recipe, I promise!). I thought fresh steamed green beans with toasted almonds, but I dunno. I know from experience that he won't eat a salad unless it's bathed in ranch . . . fruit to him only comes in a pie. Thankfully he's pretty open minded, so we shall see.

So I am going to make this fantastic meal which he will enjoy, but likely not really & truly taste. I'm kinda doing it for us both. Him because he had to endure my mother's attempts at cookery, me to keep up my chops & to prep for my guests next weekend.

Next weekend's Sunday brunch is looking to be eggs benny with crab & spinach.
sexysandee
I am sure he is going to love everything you make.

I have always wanted to eat eggs benedict, but I am so afraid of hollandaise sauce.

That sounds yummy though...

Goodluck
pollystyrene
Anyone have any ideas for cooking a pork loin in a crock pot? I want to make it for Valentine's Day, but I have to work tomorrow, so it will be so much easier to do it in the crock pot. I'm thinking something with garlic and rosemary-type seasoning, but all I can find recipes for are BBQ (which I already know how to do) and stuff with cranberries (yuck!) I really just need some directions so that I put enough liquid in there and it doesn't get dried out. The pork loin is just under 3 lbs and it's a 6-qt. crock pot.

Any advice?
auralpoison
Hmmmm . . . I'm making an apple/bourbon pork loin tomorrow, but I'm doing it in the oven. I do however have a recipe for a peach chutney slow cooker pork loin & also a pineapple one. Would you be interested?

ETA: I also have one that involves a bottle of dark beer & I bet you could make a Coca Cola loin! Fluid-wise, I figure you'd need about two cups.

ETA: Why you hatin' on the cranberry? I love cranberry! How do you feel about sweet taters & squash & carrots?
pollystyrene
I actually found a recipe yesterday after I posted. I went by Border's to get LeBoy's V-Day present and stopped in the cookbook section. Found a recipe for "Pork Loin with Potatoes and Rosemary" in a Betty Crocker Crock Pot cook. It was for a 3 lbs. loin in a 6-qt pot. Perfect! It's at home bubbling away as I type, smelling heavenly, I'm sure.

From memory, the recipe was a 3 lb pork loin, 1 lb. of medium red potatoes, quartered (or halved if they're the smaller potatoes); 1 cup of baby carrots; 3 T of dijon mustard; 1.5 t dried rosemary; 1 t dried thyme; 1 t salt; 1/2 t pepper; 1.5 C beef broth; 1 small onion, finely chopped.

Put the potatoes and veggies in the pot, pushing them up around the sides as much as possible. Trim the fat off the roast. Mix the mustard, herbs, salt and pepper together and slather evenly over the roast. Put the roast in the pot on top of/in the middle of the veggies. Sprinkle the onion over the roast. Pour the broth over the roast and veggies evenly. Cook on low for 8-9 hours.

There were also some directions about removing all the solids at the end and mixing some cornstarch and cold water into the juice to thicken it up for gravy.

I added a bunch of garlic powder into the mustard mixture and also used about 3/4 of a large onion instead of a small one and mixed some into the potatoes and carrots.

Mmm, tasty V-Day pork! (heh, heh, heh!)

Ooo, apple-bourbon pork sounds delish...can I have that recipe? Someone gave us some bourbon as a present and we're not big drinkers, so any recipes with bourbon would be wonderful.

Eh, I've just never liked cranberries. Y'know what I do like as a subsitute, though- dried cherries. LeBoy's aunt put them in stuffing at Thanksgiving and I thought they were cranberries, but was so pleasantly surprised to find out they were cherries.

Sweet potatoes are good; not a huge fan of squash, but I'd be willing to try it; carrots are delish.
crinoline
*ooh, ooh, I have a question!!*

So the boy got pre-cooked frozen Lobster claws for dinner tonight. How can I prepare them when I have no steamer basket, and in fact no large pot? I'm stumped.
sexysandee
I would take the meat out and make some nice lobster fritters....
faerietails2
Today I experimented and made an enchilada casserole, plus rice and black beans on the side. It actually turned out really good!

I used this sauce, but once it came to a boil I added half a tub of tofu to make it "meatier" (I'm a vegetarian). I'd cut the salt to 1/2 tsp, though, because I only used 3/4 and it was still on the salty side.

While that was cooking, I cut up some a whole bunch of corn tortillas into thick strips and stuck them in a large pan with a tiny bit of water and covered it with a lid (so that the tortillas would get soft and pliable).

Once the sauce was ready I put a layer on the bottom of the casserole dish, then tortillas, then cheese, and so on. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, and it's good to go! It's really good! I think next time I'll add some sauteed veggies, but it's really filling as is.
sexysandee
QUOTE(faerietails2 @ Feb 16 2008, 07:16 PM) *
Today I experimented and made an enchilada casserole, plus rice and black beans on the side. It actually turned out really good!

I used this sauce, but once it came to a boil I added half a tub of tofu to make it "meatier" (I'm a vegetarian). I'd cut the salt to 1/2 tsp, though, because I only used 3/4 and it was still on the salty side.

While that was cooking, I cut up some a whole bunch of corn tortillas into thick strips and stuck them in a large pan with a tiny bit of water and covered it with a lid (so that the tortillas would get soft and pliable).

Once the sauce was ready I put a layer on the bottom of the casserole dish, then tortillas, then cheese, and so on. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, and it's good to go! It's really good! I think next time I'll add some sauteed veggies, but it's really filling as is.

sounds yummy, but I think I am going to make it with Chicken.
While, I am far from a vegitarian, I find it harder and harder to eat red meat... I just don't have a taste for it.
konphusion26
daggonit, double post. I'm going to get it right ladies I promise.
konphusion26
About to try my hand at making a very simple fried rice! I've got some corn, rice, eggs, and soy sauce. LOL Yeah I have no food in the house so I'm getting creative people. Cross your fingers for me!!! HAHA My husband calls my "experiments" concoctions- but they usually turn out good!
adnarim
Yum. Simple veggie fried rice is awesome. I make that a lot. I like it with peas and broccoli, too.
opheliathemuse
In an effort to re-create this pizza: Egg, guanciale, radicchio, escarole & bagna cauda $14 from Pizzeria Mozza http://www.mozza-la.com/pizzeria/menu.cfm

I chose to be lazy and not make a pizza. So I sauteed scallions (which I believe were on the original, that or ramps or both), with bay and shallots, deglazed with white wine, wilted some frisee. Set aside and fried some prosciutto. Then set aside the crispies and deglazed the pan and mooshed the stuff around in the pan.

To prepare the ramekins, I brushed them with olive oil and put grated parm/pecorino on the bottom, a dollop of prosciutto/greens mixture, and a raw egg. Baked at 350.

It was good but the magic of the pizza was the runniness of the egg being creamy rather than stringy, and the eggs just cooked in this case and the greens overcooked. I was overtired so I never even really thought too much about it I suppose.

Next time I will saute the prosciutto first, remove the crispies, then saute the shallots and bay, then the scallions with them, possibly deglaze with a vinegar? unsure. Serve with frisee and a gently poached egg this time. Can't decide whether to wilt the frisee slightly or not. The cheese was slightly too strong on the bottom, and I think maybe not needed in this case? So perhaps just a sprinkle on top if at all.
hellotampon
I've been saving up veggie scraps and throwing them in the freezer for a while and I used them to make stock (or broth, what's the difference?). There's a lot of fennel and celery, with some potatoes, onions, and a little bit of sweet potato, butternut squash, broccoli, garlic, ginger, so I have no clue how it's going to taste.

I filled the pot with vegetables so they're barely covered with water. Is that okay, or should I have put less veggies in?
opheliathemuse
Stock: A strained liquid that results from simmering meats, fish, herbs, and vegetables in water. It is usually made by browning bones, vegetables and other ingredients before they're cooked in the liquid for hours. Used as a basis for soups or sauces.

Broth
: A flavorful, aromatic liquid made by simmering water or stock with meat or vegetables.

Generally speaking, stock has a heartier, richer flavor. This is mostly due to the bones used (broth is made with meat only and no bones). In most recipes the two can be interchanged with similar results. Fine chefs might tell you different, but for regular home cooking, the dish will be fine. However, note that broth may end up saltier than stock, so you may need to adjust your recipe accordingly.

I copied this from [url=http://www.yumsugar.com/91790]http://www.yumsugar.com/91790[/url

stock=simmered lovely meat butter (marrow) and bones and herbs
broth=simmered muscle tissue with herbs (or veg, as case may be)
culturehandy
*delurks*

Somone posted a recipe for a taco dip in here a while ago, well I made it for a potluck tonight, and had a little taste.

Wow! It's so good!!!!! Just wanted to say thanks to whomever posted it. I'd like to say Sybarite posted, but I'm not absolutely sure, and I don't have the time at the moment to go through the archives.

*relurks*
faerietails2
I made these muffins with whole wheat flour instead of white and 3/4 c. more applesauce instead of the eggs, and they were soooooo good.

Which brings me to this question that I feel dumb asking: I froze 6 of the muffins since I couldn't possibly eat them all before they went bad, so uh...how do I un-freeze them now?
catsoup
Culturehandy, can you repost the taco dip recipe? I'm a sucker for taco dip. I looked through the archives (quickly) and came up empty.

Faerietails, I'm sure there's probably a better way than this, but I usually just take the frozen baked goods out of the freezer and let them thaw overnight on the counter.
lunia666
I want to ask has anybody every heard of a dip called English dip . I know it has dried beef in it i use to work with a girl that knew how to make it .
opheliathemuse
I'm curious lunia, do you think perhaps it had creamed horseradish in it? Just a thought.

Faerietails, I generally defrost in the fridge, but that's just me. =) Don't really know whether there's a right or wrong way!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.