Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: barefoot, precocious, and in the kitchen
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
yuefie
Hey AP, care to share that ass kickin corn puddin' recipe?

And turbojenn, a long time ago you posted a recipe for these delicious spiced nuts. Would you happen to still have that still and if so could you post it? I lost it and would love to make it again for the upcoming holidays

For my birthday on Thursday my honey, who is a a culinary student/pantry cook, took the day off of work and is taking me on a gourmet market crawl to pick out stuff for my birthday dinner. There happens to be a farmers market that day in a very up and coming neighborhood that is sure to have all sorts of goodies we don't have at our local one. And for lunch we're stopping at this cuban bakery for cubano sandwiches and the best coconut cupcake I've ever had. I am really watching what I eat all week so I can pig out that day tongue.gif

My (for all intents and purposes) FIL gave me a load of fresh basil and tomatoes from his garden a couple of days ago so I made a fresh heirloom tomato, basil and garlic pasta that was yummay. I really haven't been cooking much lately, mainly because of the heat. We only have a wall unit AC which keeps just the living room cool and if you cook in the kitchen, even that isn't very cool anymore. I can't wait for it to cool down because I miss cooking! The last time I really threw down and cooked was for my bf's brithday at the beginning of August. I made fried chicken wings, guinness braised short ribs w/ guinness bbq sauce, collard greens w/ ham hocks, cheesy grits, bacon & garlic green beans, baked (custard style) mac 'n'cheese, & cornbread. He says it was his dream birfday meal.
deschatsrouge
My MIL had a stellar year with her garden and sent us home with a bushel of goodies. She gave us 10 pounds of tomatoes. More than Mrs. Rouge and I will ever eat, so I dry them and pack them in olive oil. A cheater version of sun dried tomatoes.
damona
oooohh... homegrown tomatoes... drool...

i had big plans for a container garden, but somehow, summer is over... oh well, next year.

so, i'm gonna be a pain here... can you wonderful people give me some ideas for foods that travel well and taste good cold? that are also gluten and dairy free? my 5yo is starting kindergarten this year, and since he has food sensitivities, it looks like i'm gonna have to send his lunch with him. i'm great at dinner and breakfast ideas, but lunch is always a bit of a stumbling block for me, and when it's something he can't heat up...

he's not terribly picky anymore, he likes sweet/spicy/whatever... i got him a bento-box type thing, so there is a little container for dip and a 1 cup covered container, a 1 cup open container, and 2 half-cup containers and a fork and spoon. this morning i sent him with a cut up cold hamburger, ketchup, applesauce, tortilla chips and carrot sticks. and a bottle of water. he ate it, so i guess it worked.... new ideas please!?!?
crinoline
I don't know how many of these are good for food sensitivities, but - some lunchbox ideas.
turbojenn
yuefie - I cannot take credit for those delicious roasted nuts - they came from our very own Tart! Anyway, toast some almonds in the oven for 15min at 350. Remove, drizzle with a bit of honey (maybe a teaspoon), stir to coat lightly, then sprinkle on garam masala and salt to taste...stir, and pop back in the oven for another 5 min. then cool on the counter. Voila!

My dad now requests that I bring some of these with me everytime we go to MI.

Damona - Here's my favorite quinoa salad - it makes a TON, keeps very well for several days, and we add some roasted chicken to it for a dinner. But a tub of this salad has gone with us on many a road trip, as I have a hard time eating on the road, too.

Hummus and veggies are always good, cubes of chicken with a greek yogurt/herb dip. Or, chicken with a spicy peanut sauce. Yum. Homeade granola bars are good too - I've gotten addicted to those - shoot me an email if you want the recipe (and if you can get the GF oats - I buy 'em online from Bob's).

Hmmm....I'll keep thinking for ya.
damona
*happy dance*

i knew turbo would come thru for me! i actually just got a couple bags of glutenfree oats, and a granola bar recipe lol, it's hotter than hell right now tho, so once it cools off i will try it.

please, by all means, keep the ideas rolling... i am terrible at lunchbox ideas!

crinoline, thanks for the link, i just skimmed over it, but i'm pretty sure that there are a few recipes there that i can adjust to be GFCF. thanks hon!
erinjane
A neighbour who was always a figure in my life, and old woman who raised my friend that lived directly across from my house, passed away this morning. Her daughter and granddaughter still live at the house and I think they would appreciate some easy to prepare meals for the next few days. Does anyone have some good ideas of something I could give them?

The grandma was such a great old Ukrainian lady who made delicious home made meals and used to walk around the block picking the mushrooms so she could cook with them. I wouldn't feel right if I didn't at least give them a pie or something.
kari
ErinJane, what about a pot pie? I know people always joke about giving casseroles, but that's really what seems to hold up the best.
pollystyrene
Or a big pot of chili or stew?
erinjane
I like the pot pie idea...my mom suggested I even just get a tray of cold cuts and stuff and send it over. Damn, I wish my mom was here. She would whip up something amazing.
crinoline
it's so sweet of you to want to offer something, erinjane. Where I come from, food is always given at times of mourning.
Pot Pie is a great idea, it heats up well and should feed a good amount of people.
Any kind of Casserole would be fine. Really anything that is easy to heat up and serve, meatballs and gravy would be simple but comforting.

If you want to give something sweet, any fruit pie (like peach or apple) would work well.

cold cuts are also a good idea, very easy and they don't have to think about it.
I'm sure whatever you decide, it will be appreciated
erinjane
Thanks for the great suggestions everyone!

I went to visit the neighbours today and there was already another neighbour visiting as well; a guy a couple of years younger than me who was another childhood friend of the granddaughter. I thought that was really sweet. People on our street who have lived here a while knew the woman fairly well so everytime I look over there's a different car in the driveway or another neighbour coming or going. It's very sweet to see.
pepper
can anyone clue me in to the trick for choosing a good olive oil? how great can it be for only $8 a bottle? there must be some way to tell aside from the labelling (which i just don't believe anymore).
thanks!
rubberdollz
Ok this might be lame but a friend of mine lost her husband last year unexpectedly. While going through the mourning and then getting everything ready for the funeral she stopped eating. She couldn't eat and when she did she would get sick from the food, so I ended up sending her one of those edible arrangements. It's fruit that is carved in the shape of flowers. She loved it! She said what was great about it was that everytime she grabbed a stick of fruit she could run around the house and eat, the only thing that sucked was her mom kept finding the sticks all over the house. It made me happy to know I could send her something that didn't upset her stomach and was convenient for her. She is one of those people that stops eating under stress.

Pepper... I know I was talking about oils in another forum and chacha replied back talking about the processing of the oil. Like the expeller pressed is a good kind to look for. I just bought a book on nutrition but I haven't gotten to the oil part of it yet, if they give anymore info I will let you know!
kittenb
rubberdollz - I think that story is lovely.

This Sunday, I bought a peck of Gala apples from a touristy farm. Sadly, they are too mushy for eating (odd as the other apples from this place were fantastic.) I do not have enough time to bake that many pies. Is there a way to freeze them? Help please.
auralpoison
I buy this olive oil. Their balsalmic is damned fine as well. I got a giftbox one year & was hooked.
octobersky
Kittenb, you could make apple crisp, easier and quicker than pie. If you store the apples in the fridge, they should hold for a decent amount of time, like a month depending on various factors. You could also try drying them.

On an entirely different note I made Good Eats chili and damn it's good. I don't particularly like chili and certainly not chili with beans, this is diffent than the stuff I grew up eating. I served it with sour cream and Monteray Jack cheese, some lettuce and chips. Tasty, tasty noms.
rubberdollz
Ooohh AP, that olive oil sounds awesome! I made the mistake and bought a Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil and I've been having a hard time using it, I just don't like the taste. I will look into this stuff though, I like the website... very chic.... hehehe.

PixiePink
Hi everyone, I just had a thought in my head when you guys talking about olive oils ( I love olive oils).. before I never knew that olive oils contains almost the same amounts of calories with regular cooking oils. So, what makes them better ( in diets) ?
oh, I checked that site AP.. fancy! smile.gif
auralpoison
That oil is just sooooo goooood. I love to mix it & a bit of the balsalmic to dip good crusty bread in.

PP, olive oil has a high content of monounsaturated fatty acids and a high content of antioxidative substances. It's a healing fat.
pollystyrene
Thanks for beating me to it, ap. Calorie count isn't everything. The type of fat matters. Same thing with avocadoes, salmon and nuts. High calorie/fat, but healthy. At least that's what I tell myself when I eat an avocado by myself in one sitting. tongue.gif

Seriously, though- you need fats to survive, whether you're dieting (yuck!) or not. May as well eat the fat that has the health benefits to go with it.
auralpoison
Mmmmm . . . three of my fave things: salmon, avocado, & nuts! Them's GOOD fats! Your body needs good fats!

I always laugh at the "lowfat" stuff at the market. A lot of times lowfat = high sugar.

I think of "diet" as a noun, not a verb.
erinjane
AP, I remember when I was 10 and had just been diagnosed with diabetes and my dieticians were always saying not to buy the low fat stuff for that exact reason. I wouldn't touch low fat stuff now anyways, but we have a lot in the house because my dad had a triple bypass in April. Quite frankly, I don't think there's anyting wrong with the way he was eating with butter and oils, but now he only eats margarine. I think the reason he had heart problems was A) stress - absolutely the most stressed out person i know AND he's a pilot (one of the most stressful jobs) cool.gif his father and grandfather both had heart attacks and died in the early 60's.

I'm so excited for our Thanksgiving next weekend. All my cousins always want my mom to do the family gatherings because she makes the best and most amazing food and she's a big whole foods advocate herself.
rubberdollz
So true about the fats! I'm just starting to get back into eating the fats. I was eating lowfat for a long time and when I started to eat more natural/organic that changed. I bought this book I kept hearing about which talks about oils and fats. What's funny is it talks about not eating vegetable oils and how those are the types that are bad for you, but olive oils and coconut oils are the way to go. Even margarines are really bad for you, so I stick to old fashioned butter. I slap that stuff on some roasted vegetables for dinner and yummy's!

What's funny is even some of the "natural" foods have like high fructose corn syrup in them? How the hell is that natural?
turbojenn
RD, what book were you reading - I just started "Good Calories, Bad Calories," and while it can be a bit science heavy, its a fascinating study of food fads vs actual science. I'm a nutritional dork, so this kind of stuff is fun for me. smile.gif

I also abhor the lowfat stuff...I can't do gluten, and have to limit my dairy, so what I do eat is good quality, organic, whole foods. And it makes my body so happy. And it helps that there is nothing more fun/relaxing for me than spending a day in the kitchen.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna make granola bars, chicken stock, and then I'm gonna make a Lamb Biryani for dinner - haven't tried that kind of thing before, so I'll let you know how it turns out. Sunday, I'll probably make chicken tortilla soup.
rubberdollz
TJ the book is called Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. She follows a diet created by a man named Weston A. Price. It's really quite interesting. A huge book that so far I've gotten to the "mineral" section of it. It really gives a rundown of good and bad and explains a lot. The recipes in it are total old school style and require attention but they make sense! You are so lucky that you enjoy cooking in the kitchen, that is one thing I'm trying to get used to but it's hard. I will say about the book I'm reading, at times I get confused with some of the words and scientific jargon.

She talks about dairy, carbs, vitamins, minerals, fats, oils, proteins and vegetables. In the back has a ton of recipes... every entree from appetizers to desserts. She even explains how to soak beans and process them correctly so you get the most nutrition from them.

They are also really into drinking raw milk if it's available, but I know around me that stuff is really far from where I live and I also don't have the money for it. It's illegal to sell here so you basically buy your share into a cow.
pollystyrene
Yeah, I avoid margarine. My favorite quote, one that someone on one of the foodie sites I go to has as their signature:

"As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists" - Joan Gussow

hellotampon
I read a little article about olive oil the other day:
http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking/cs/all...,634810,00.html
auralpoison
I love being in the kitchen. I know a lot of people don't dig it the way I do, but I love it. I love chopping & preparing. It makes me feel good when I sit down with a plate of food & I know that I *did* this. I poached chicken for salads the other day & felt really good about it. It's not fancy, it's not special, but it makes me feel good.
yuefie
I'm with you on the margarine vs. butter thing, polly.
Margarine = bleached axle grease, one molecule away from being plastic. Feh. Just no.

AP, there is something so satisfying about knowing that you prepared that delicious meal yourself.
rubberdollz
So my sister went to this farm the other day. They process their own cheese, butter, milk... etc... she bought this giant BLOCK of butter since I was telling her about margarines and stuff. She normally eats Smart Balance but never bothered to read the ingredients. So she buys this block and puts a little in a container for me to try... it was so good! I seriously could have taken a spoon and eaten it alone it was soooo good. The only thing I didn't like was it was the salted kind so I am thinking about picking up some for myself and getting the unsalted. Yummy!

I give total props to you ladies who love to be in the kitchen. I've never been a very good cook... well actually I've just never bothered to become one. Now that I'm taking more of an interest in my health and what we eat I'm trying to put myself in the kitchen more. My problem is I have squat for counter space. I really need a little island that I can wheel around.
erinjane
Mmmmm....I can't go back to eating margarine now. It tastes so artificial. I notice real butter in baking a lot now too. I'm disappointed with how many places use margarine in their icing. I love making cupcakes with real buttercream icing.
PixiePink
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Oct 4 2008, 10:28 AM) *
I love being in the kitchen. I know a lot of people don't dig it the way I do, but I love it. I love chopping & preparing. It makes me feel good when I sit down with a plate of food & I know that I *did* this. I poached chicken for salads the other day & felt really good about it. It's not fancy, it's not special, but it makes me feel good.

Me too.. I love being in the kitchen, cooking has become such a passion for me. I think the more we spend our time in the kitchen the more we would have knowledge about what we should eat and what we shouldn't...
If I had more time in a day, I would've spent it in the kitchen..lol but sometimes its a hassel to cook daily cuz of everything else we need to do; like today I don't have enough time to prepare my lunch nor order take outs. So, what I had is a hot and delicious Turkey & Cheddar Dijon sandwich from Deli Creations it's only takes 60 seconds to heat up.. I had restaurant style sandwich without have to go there.

"Mmmmm . . . three of my fave things: salmon, avocado, & nuts! Them's GOOD fats! Your body needs good fats! I always laugh at the "lowfat" stuff at the market. A lot of times lowfat = high sugar. I think of "diet" as a noun, not a verb."

I agree with you.. diet is a noun not a verb smile.gif.. I'll start to keep that in mind..
rubberdollz
So my sister ended up taking me to the store that she bought the butter from and I picked up the unsalted butter, yummy! It is so good, I slather that stuff all over my veggies. It's amazing when you think how much margarines are pushed for good cholesterol and butter is said to be a no no. What a load!

I have to go grocery shopping this weekend and I'm picking up some coconut oil to try. I keep hearing so much good stuff about it and decided to give it a shot. Anyone use coconut oil for cooking? What kind of recipes do you use it in???

This book I have has a recipe for sourdough bread. I need a mixer! Why is it always something is missing? It teaches you how to make the "starter" for the bread and then the bread itself. I plan on whipping up a few loaves and see how I do. You cooking ladies have inspired me for greatness!
erinjane
rubber, you definitely need a mixer, every kitchen does!

Over the weekend my mom served bread and butter at our thanksgiving dinner and my relatives all went nuts when she said she'd made the butter herself. She just buys cream in a carton and puts it in the mixer on a low speed for a long time. Basically, there's little more too it than that, plus you get real buttermilk from it. It tastes exactly the same as store bought stuff and it's actually cheaper to make it home than buy it.

Thanksgiving dinner was soooooo good. I always brag about my mom's pies (her pie crust is amazing!) and I brought a friend to dinner. She said it actually was the best pumpkin pie she's ever had in her life. I'm eating a leftover turkey and cranberry sauce sandwich for dinner.
auralpoison
It has been cold, wet & shitty here lately, so I made soup. My version of Italian wedding soup. I'm sure you could subsitute veg if you were so inclined. I'll leave this before I go.

1 egg
1 1/2 pounds LEAN ground beef (This can get greasy, I used buffalo. I had it with sausage once & didn't like the orange sheen on the top.)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

2 quarts chicken broth
2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
garlic to taste
8oz chopped fresh spinach (This is optional, but makes it so much better!)

1/2 pound acini di pepe/orzo pasta (I used brown rice as I haven't found a whole grain orzo. FIBER, people!)

In a large bowl, combine 1 cup cheese, Italian seasoning, egg & meat. Mix together well & form into SMALL meatballs, NO larger than 1 inch in diameter; set aside. I leave them out since meat needs to rest before cooking.

In a large pot over medium high heat, combine the chicken broth, 2 cups cheese, garlic, & spinach. Bring this to a boil & reduce heat to medium. Slowly add the meatballs, stirring gently so that they do not clump together into one uber-meatball. Cook for about 30 minutes, until beef is no longer pink & broth is slightly thickened.

Add the pasta, again stirring gently so that they do not clump, & cook for about 30 more minutes, until pasta is tender & flavors are well blended. Season to taste & serve immediately.

This is a REALLY thick soup. If you want it more watery, add another cup of stock. But I like it thick the way it is.

I really think this could go lacto veg with the addition of cannelini, carrots, cauliflower, zuc squash, broc, red/yellow peppers etc what have you & be a really satisfying fall/winter.

PixiePink re: time. I take one day a week to go shopping & run all my errands. And lo, on that day, she said chop. After I'm done running around, I come home & chop all my veg. I marinate all my meat. I get shit together, make my salad dressing, etc. That way, when I come home & don't feel like cooking because of the hassle . . . there is no hassle. I just pull out whatever ceramic contains my veg, that which contains my meat & have at it. It makes things ever so easier & I have no excuse not to eat something fresh & good. I'm like Rachel Ray, my shit just takes less than a half hour because I've already done the prep.
PixiePink
Thanks for the soup recipe AP, it's not really that cold here in Cali but soon this soup would be fit for the season and my siblings love any kinds of soup, might try this recipe for them.. smile.gif I used to go to groceries once every two weeks, I've been pilled my food and sometime they went bad; mostly stuff I bought cheese, pasta, pre-made sauce and stuff. I like those packs Deli Creations sandwich cuz it's handy and easy to store... smile.gif Thanks for the suggestions too.. I might do the preps on the weekends when I'm having my time mostly smile.gif so I'd be like Rachel Ray too.. I love her show.. smile.gif
themeiu
Rubberdollz,

I love coconut oil, it's my favorite oil in the world. I use it for everything. As far as oils go, it has a pretty mild flavor, so you can use it for almost anything. I make great homemade popcorn with it and don't add anything else. You can also use it for your skin and hair too as it's a fantastic moisturizer.

For some reason I've been baking like crazy recently. I had to use up some zucchini that was about to turn and so I made zucchini bread, and ever since then (about 2 weeks ago) I've been baking something almost every day. It's just so satisfying. My bf is pretty happy about it though which allows me to gain points for when I need them smile.gif If anyone wants a great and super easy zucchini bread ask me and I'll post it.

"I have to go grocery shopping this weekend and I'm picking up some coconut oil to try. I keep hearing so much good stuff about it and decided to give it a shot. Anyone use coconut oil for cooking? What kind of recipes do you use it in???"

auralpoison
QUOTE(PixiePink @ Oct 15 2008, 10:35 AM) *
I like those packs Deli Creations sandwich cuz it's handy and easy to store... smile.gif Thanks for the suggestions too.. I might do the preps on the weekends when I'm having my time mostly smile.gif so I'd be like Rachel Ray too.. I love her show.. smile.gif

See, I can't do that. I don't like processed packaged foods. I buy tomaters/tomato paste in a tin/tube, smoked almonds/nuts, & olives/pickles in jars, but that's about it for me. I'm a label reader & when I look at the back of one of those packages . . . it makes my stomach churn with all the sugar, corn syrup, preservatives, & hydrolized this & that. But I also have the luxury of time that most don't, so I can make everything from scratch.

Oh, & Doritos. I can't seem to give up the Doritos. I buy a little bag every time I go to the market & once things are put away, I hoover them.

In all honesty, I can't stand Rachel Ray, but I like her philosophy that a good healthy, tasty meal can be made in a half an hour.
rubberdollz
You know amazingly enough I don't eat processed foods for dinner. Even though I don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I prepare a meat... usually chicken or some kind of beef or lamb, broil that bad boy in the oven for a few minutes on each side. Broil up some veggies with oil on them and voila... DINNER IS SERVED! I will usually use salt and pepper for seasoning or I have a few recipes where you just make like a dry rub with cinnamon and a few other ingredients.

I have a nasty habit of reading the ingredients on things I purchase and it's horrible! If I don't understand the word then I don't buy it. Keeps things simple for me. I even just learned how to make my own spaghetti sauce in just a few minutes and the spaghetti I buy is made from artichoke flour. I try to keep it healthy.

Also thanks for the info on the coconut oil!!! I've heard that about the oil being good for the skin and hair also. I'm waiting for the weekend to come, I've been so freaking lazy I haven't even made up my grocery list yet!!!
auralpoison
WORD, Rubberdollz!

Today we had a simple lunch of sesame brown rice (brown rice, black sesame seeds, ginger, spring onion, lite soy, & garlic) with wilted spinach/mushrooms/garlic, & a piece of seared tuna. With my pre-prep, fifteen minutes all together. Tasty, healthy, & best of all good for us!

I don't think reading labels is nasty/horrible, I think it's crucial. I want to KNOW what I'm eating. I make most everything from scratch. It may take a few seconds to open a jar of premade spag sauce, but making it myself & steaming it takes ten minutes & tastes so much better! Romas, some garlic, onions, mushrooms, basil . . . makes the whole house smell good & tastes so fresh.

I love steaming. It retains flavor, is fast, & is a really healthy way to cook.
pepper
thanks for the links to the olive oil info. as for the bariani, i love that stuff. when i was living in san fran i found them (really THEM) at the farmer's market and not only did they have oil, they also had the most delicious, lucsious, fantabulous OLIVES! gah, they were absolutely divine. so num. but can't get it here, i am in nowhere'sville, truly. i gotta move. i spent some time in kensington market in TO this weekend and realized how much i miss FOOD!

i am a lazy bastard about baking and i made a gooey mess of apple bread the other day that was embarrasing in it's un-bake-edness. sad. why i am so adverse to following a recipe is beyond me. i know it works ok with soup but baking is a whole 'nuther story and i know better. d'oh.
rubberdollz
Oooh Pepper I hear ya on the baking too! This recipe book I got has a recipe for sourdough bread and I really want to try to make it but I'm afraid of f*ng it up royally. Plus I really need to get some bread loaf pans, I hate non-stick stuff and the book recommends stoneware. Unfortunately it also recommended pampered chef which I think the only people that can afford that shit are pampered. Way too expensive, BUT I was at the ol' Target this evening and they have stoneware loaf pans for like 7 bucks! I didn't get them but I'm super excited that they make them affordable. I'm a beginner at this cooking stuff and not ready to purchase the expensive pans.

AP, do you soak your own rice???? I've been reading about properly soaking legumes and grains and wondering if you do that and if so are you satisfied with the process??? I recently bought some raw pecans, soaked them in some salt water overnight and am now in the process of baking them to crispy-yumminess. They have instructions for quite a few other nuts and even a nice recipe for some holiday pecans which I plan on trying.
kittenb
This is the place to post recipes, right? I rarely come in here as I am a very basic cook. I know how to make a few things well, and I can follow most recipes, but for the most part I've never bothered much. However, now that my schedule is so different with school I've gotten more ambitious in the kitchen.

Today is the second time I've used my slow cooker and I had to share the recipe. It smells so good that I cannot wait to eat it.

Country Crock Apples

4-5 Cups of apples, peeled, cored, sliced
2 tbsp flour
1/3 Cup grandulated sugar
1/3 Cup raisins (I skipped this as I hate them)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2/3 Cups quick cooking or rolled oats
3 tbsp melted butter
3/4 Cup brown sugar

Put apples in the mixing bowl; toss with flour and sugar. Stirin raisins, cinnamon, & oats. Pour 1 Cup of water into the crockery. Add apple mixture. Pour melted butter over apples and then sprinkle w/brown sugar. Cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours (I love how specific slow cooker cooking isn't. rolleyes.gif )

I'll let you know how it tastes. This is a dessert to go with the spaghetti. I'd share the recipe for that but I don't really know what it is It was the first thing I learned how to cook. Basically, I grab all available spices, some past and tomatoes and ground meat and sometimes mushrooms and just go for it.
auralpoison
I do soak my own rice, RD. It's a fickle thing. It goes rancid waaaaay quicker than it's white friend. I'm a firm believer in fiber. I eats lots of veg, but I likes the rice, too. The thing about brown rice is that it's a bit chewier than white. But I like that texture. I soak two hours. And the nutrients? Off the charts compared to white. You get a much better amino acid whatchamacallit.

Is there a Cost Plus World Market near where you live, RD? I've scored some dope-ass stonewear there that would have cost me a mint with Pampered Chef or Sur La Table.

I love oven pecans! I have a big fat bag in the freezer right now that I can't wait to bust out for Thanksgiving. I give them an egg wash (Sorry vegans! I accept gifts like eggs & honey. It would be hypocritical of me as a carnivore to not do so.) & toss them with cinnammon & such. They are always the first thing gone.
hellotampon
I have a bunch of celery that's getting kind of old and rubbery. I don't have any cheesecloth, but if I boil it with some onions for a long time and then just pick it out and puree it, then add it back in, will I have a nice soup base? Or does old celery not puree well? I don't want to be left with strings in the soup.
rubberdollz
Yeah I eat veggies for dinner and oohhh... last night and tonight I made this mushroom salad. YUMMY!!! It had mushrooms, cilantro and this lemon pepper dressing which consisted of lemon juice, salt, pepper, olive oil, wine vinegar and flax oil. My husband really liked it, it has a really great fresh taste. I really don't get into the rices and stuff too much but after reading what you just said AP I may start adding them into the dinners.

Yes there are Cost Plus somewhere's!!! Thanks for the tip and I will surely check into them!!!! I actually never knew what that store sold so I never bothered to go into it, that's kind of sad huh??? I've never heard of Sur La Table but that name would probably throw me off as well, that pampered chef name is bad enough. Makes me feel like I'm a broke-ass if I don't buy from them! hehehe.

There is a holiday pecans recipe in my book... pecans, eggs, sea salt, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Haven't tried it yet but I definitely plan on it. Actually I'm kind of ticked I didn't buy all raw nuts, but I was worried I might not like how they taste so I figured I would try out the pecans first and then go for the other kinds if those turned out good. I take a nut mixture to work for when I need something to snack on.

Oh yeah and also... I just started using my coconut oil I purchased this weekend and yummy!!! It gives the chicken this nice little coconut flavor and makes it all nice and juicy. I cannot wait to cook all my other meats in it!!! I wish I had thought of it when I cooked lamb chops the other night.
sybarite
Hello top chefs... I was hoping someone might have a suggestion of what to do with courgettes/zucchini. I'm cooking them as a second vegetable tomorrow night (along with potatoes, and fillets) and was planning on grilling them, but thought I'd check in here to see if anyone had a bright idea for something more interesting....? Any thoughts welcome!
Caryn
I'm a little late for you, sorry sybarite, but I have a great zucchini side dish. It takes a little more effort than I usually put into dinner during the week, but I'll whip it up for weekend get-togethers and potlucks.

1 stick butter (plus a dab to butter the pan with)
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced (I use a press)
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
8 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/4 thick circles
2 cups shredded Monteray Jack cheese (sometimes I sub Colby Jack)
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 tsp Italian Season (Tone's makes this - I just use Oregano when I don't have it.)
salt and pepper as desired.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter 9 x 13" glass baking dish.
Melt 1/2 stick butter in large skillet on medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook 4-5 minutes. Add zucchini and cook until tender and semi-translucent, stirring frequently (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat. Stir in Italian seasoning, half the Monteray Jack, half the Parmesan, and half the breadcrumbs. Add salt and pepper at this stage if desired.

Place zucchini mixture in baking dish. Add remaining Monteray Jack cheese. Combine eggs and milk, and pour over mixture in baking dish. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Dot with remaining butter. Bake around 35 minutes, until golden brown.

This stuff smells amazing, and it's great as leftovers (if there are any left.)
mouse
oooh oh i have an idea, i don't have the actual recipe but the idea is pretty general. my mom used to make this all the time and it's so good, it's roughly a stuffed zucchini recipe but when i was little i called it zucchini pizza. take a large zuke, chop it in half and scoop out the seeds. fill the hollow with chopped up seasoned tomatoes (i imagine you could add whatever other veggies you think would work well also) (and i'm assuming the seasonings to be garlic, oregano, basil, your average "pizza" spices), top with shredded cheese, pop in a casserole dish and bake. not sure how long you would bake or how high, sorry, but maybe 350 for twenty minutes or so? wing it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.