Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: barefoot, precocious, and in the kitchen
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
auralpoison
Yeah, I pretty much got all that down from roasting other things. And I usually go for medium rare.

I don't think I'm gonna go Greek. I usually do lamb marinated in yogurt, mint & oregano. I think I'm going to do a dry herb rub instead & marinate in olive oil, lemon juice, & a nice dry merlot. Probably overnight. I want it to be tender. Plus I enjoy sneaking booze on my family.

I'm concerned about the cooking, though. It's gonna be 5-7lbs, bone out. There seem to be two main ways of doing it, twenty minutes roasting at 450, then turn it down to 325 for the rest or doing the whole thing slowly. I think if I do it the first way it shouldn't take more than an hour & a half. I do need to find a good oven safe meat thermometer, though. I don't want to have to keep opening the oven to check core temp.
rubberdollz
AP, I just checked my ol' cookbook and looks like there are a few recipes in there. One is just for a basic leg of lamb, there is another recipe variation under it with an apricot sauce or another recipe for stuffed leg of lamb. If any of those sound interesting let me know and I will post for ya.

I made the basic leg of lamb recipe and yummy! I really enjoyed it but I'm not sure what you are looking for?
auralpoison
My family isn't too experimental & this will be something they've never had, so I think the basic would be fine. Please post if you have the time, RD. I appreciate you guys' help!
rubberdollz
Ok here is the basic recipe:

1 leg of lamb
3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons digon-type mustard (smooth or grainy)
1 onion, peeled and sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled
several sprigs fresh thyme, rosemary and tarragon
meat thermometer
12 potatoes
1/2 cup dry white wine or vermouth
3-4 cups beef or lamb stock
sea salt

Place garlic and onion in a roasting pan. Set the leg of lamb, fat side up, on a rack in the pan. Melt butter with mustard, mix thoroughly and brush on the lamb. Place sprigs of herbs on top and insert the meat thermometer. Set in an oven preheated to 450 degrees and reduce heat immediately to 350 degrees. Cook until the thermometer registers rare or medium rare, about 15 minutes per pound. One-half hour before the roast finishes, strew the potatoes around the roast on the rack.

Remove the roast, set on a heated platter and keep warm in the oven while finishing the potatoes and making the sauce. Remove the rack. Cut potatoes in half and place cut side down in the drippings. Bake another 15 minutes or so until the potatoes are soft. Transfer them to the heated platter. Pour wine and stock into the pan and bring to a rapid boil, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape up any accumulated juices. Boil until the sauce reduces to about 1 cup, skimming occasionally. Season to taste.

(here's the variation if you want to try it)
Using scissors, snip 1/2 cup dried apricots into strips (it calls for unsulphured apricots but I didn't know how hard it is to find those???). Soak in 1/2 cup red wine for several hours. Add this to the sauce, omitting white wine.

So there you go. I typed the recipe word for word from the book. If you are interested in the stuffed rack of lamb let me know. The stuffing uses pecans, spinach, mint, garlic, orange rind, thyme and cinnamon. I know you said you wanted the basics though but if that sounds good let me know and I'll post up that recipe for ya!
treehugger
Okay....I asked this question a year ago in the "party like a rockstar" thread, and since nobody's posted any response since then, I thought I'd post it here this time around.

I'm having my annual New Years Day party...a "hair of the dog" party with bloody marys, mimosas, brunchy food...what I have planned so far:

A pitcher of basic bloody marys, (which will be replenished as needed) with additional fixings and trimmings that people can add to their liking....
Horseradish
Tabasco Sauce
Celery Salt
Lemon Pepper to rim glasses
Lemon and lime wedges
Garlic, blue cheese, and jalapeno stuffed olives
Dill Pickle Spears
Cooked cocktail shrimp
Celery

...that's it for the bloody mary stuff. Then, three or so bottles of champagne, a big pitcher of orange juice, my breakfast casserole (sausage, egg, cheese, veggies), some artichoke dip with pita chips....

and I'm looking for suggestions on the rest...something warm I can have in a crockpot...meatballs or whatever...and other things that might be missing...

Input??? I'm expecting fifteen to twenty people, and it's an open house kind of thing so there will be people drifting in and out all day.
pollystyrene
I think you were on hiatus when a booze thread was created. I bumped it for you.

I don't think I've ever had a bloody mary, so I'm of no help....oh, wait, there is one thing that I know typically goes in a bloody mary that's not on your list- worcestershire sauce!
treehugger
Oh...no, I'm actually looking for food accompaniments...party foods. smile.gif I'll definitely add the Worcestershire sauce to the fixings list though!
pollystyrene
Ahhhh, sorry. My SIL makes a couple of good party foods- for her crock pot meatballs, she makes the sauce out of Heinz Chili Sauce and grape jelly; the other thing she makes is these onion puff things. You get a loaf of dark rye (pumpernickel) toast (the little mini-loaf), a couple of onions, some mayonnaise and shredded Parmesan cheese. Slice the onion into wide slices and put a ring or two on each slice of toast. Mix a cup of mayo and a cup of shredded Parmesan and put a dollop onto each slice, sort of in the center of the onion rings. Put them in the oven at 350 for 8-10 minutes, until the mayo/cheese gets golden brown.

I'm pretty sure that's the recipe. I'll double check.
auralpoison
I made my lamb. It was perfectly medium rare. And you know what they did? THEY STUCK IT INTO THE MICROWAVE UNTIL IT WAS WELL DONE. Philistines.
roseviolet
What the hell?!?! Clearly those people don't deserve lamb, AP. What a terrible shame.
rubberdollz
AACK!!! AP that is a tragedy! Talk about sucking all of the vitamins and yumminess out of lamb! You should have thrown the microwave out after that. Merry motherfucking Xmas.
konphusion26
I just wanted to share this dinner combination I tried tonight with my new slow cooker. It was delicioso!! It was creamy chicken and rice with marinated/oven-roasted veggies on the side.

Creamy Chicken and Rice (via this Crock Pot Recipes site )

Ingredients:
Ingredients
1 8¼-oz pkg. wild rice and mushroom dinner mix
1 lb chicken breast (I used skinless chicken thighs)
1 14½-oz can chicken broth
1 12-oz can evap. milk
½ c. water
2 Tbs butter, melted
2 Tbs onion, chopped

Directions:
Directions
Mix all ingredients in slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low 5-6 hours or High for 3-4 Hrs.

Oven roasted veggies:

Preheat oven to 325 or 350 degrees - depending on your oven
1 bag of frozen broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower mix (partially thawed) and in med./large bowl
1 Pkg of McCormick® Grill Mates® Zesty Herb Marinade

Pour dry mix into quart size zip-lock bag
Add 4 tbsp of oil (canola or olive oil)
Add 1 tbsp of white vinegar
Add 2 tbsp of water
Squeeze the bag till all ingredients are mixed well.
Pour mixture over veggies and stir vigorously to coat veggies
Line baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray
Arrange veggies flat in the pan and bake until fork-tender (or as tender as you like)

***ENJOY! We sure did. ***

treehugger
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Dec 25 2008, 06:46 PM) *
Ahhhh, sorry. My SIL makes a couple of good party foods- for her crock pot meatballs, she makes the sauce out of Heinz Chili Sauce and grape jelly; the other thing she makes is these onion puff things. You get a loaf of dark rye (pumpernickel) toast (the little mini-loaf), a couple of onions, some mayonnaise and shredded Parmesan cheese. Slice the onion into wide slices and put a ring or two on each slice of toast. Mix a cup of mayo and a cup of shredded Parmesan and put a dollop onto each slice, sort of in the center of the onion rings. Put them in the oven at 350 for 8-10 minutes, until the mayo/cheese gets golden brown.

I'm pretty sure that's the recipe. I'll double check.

Polly, thanks for the recipes! They were an amazing hit...especially the meatballs. smile.gif
raisingirl
For the fromage fanciers: I really like havarti with dill and Leiden (sp?) with cumin. Do you recommend any other cheeses I should try with stuff in them? (ideally not fruit, but I could be swayed)
bunnyb
I'm a cheese fiend but give me a simple garlic roule and I'm happy. I did have the most delicious cranberry roule at Christmastime and wish I could buy it all year round.

I need to post a gorgeous recipe of my aunt's for fried haloumi with lime and capers, mmmm.
bunnyb
Sorry for the double-post but I thought I would share the delicious recipe I mentioned below.

Fried Halloumi Cheese with Lime and Caper Vinaigrette

I pack halloumi cheese
2 tablespoons wee-seasoned flour
2 tablespoons olive oil

For the dressing:

juice and zest of 1 lime
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 heaped tablespoon capers, drained
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 heaped teaspoon grain mustard
1 heaped tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly milled black pepper

Pat dry the cheese with kitchen paper
slice into eight slices (including the ends)
Now prepare the dressing mixing all the ingredients together in a small mixing-bowl

When you are ready to serve the halloumi
Heat the oil in a frying -pan over a medium heat, when the oil is really hot press each slice of cheese into the seasoned flour to coat on both sides, then add them to the hot pan as they are done - they take 1 minute on each side to cook, so by the time the last one's in it will almost be time to turn the first one over. They need to be a good golden colour on each side.
Serve them straight away on warmed plates with the dressing poured over.
This is good served with lightly toasted pitta bread or Greek bread with toasted sesame seeds.
raisingirl
Mmm. I want to go to Greece, Bunny. Now, a roule: do you mean that as a generic term for the technique or is that an actual cheese? Puzzled...
bunnyb
hmmm, raisin, I think both, in name and the fact that it's rolled.

Checked cheese.com and it's le roule (with an accent on the "e" but not sure how to add here.)

"Le Roule is a traditional table cheese used for baking and spreading. Le Roule with its distinctive green swirl of herbs and garlic were first introduced in the middle of 1980s by Fromagerie Triballat. There are several exotic combinations of this cheese- salmon and dill, chives and strawberry. Its has melt-in-the-mouth and creamery texture and is made from cow's milk."
pollystyrene
There's a cheese.com? Yum.

I don't think I've ever had halloumi, but it sounds really good. And even though I'm not a fan of capers, that sounds really yummy.

Here's one of my favorite cheeses. It's a mixture of cow, sheep and a little goat. I'm thinking of driving up to their factory, once the weather is better. It's about 4 hours away from me. Actually, I'd pass through Madison, on the way back, tree- maybe we can get together! You're welcome for the recipes!
bunnyb
I'm a cheese fiend. I love so many varieties of cheese. I am particularly fond of halloumi, but it is interesting - if it's not cooked properly it has a rubbery consistency and taste but when it's done well it tastes fabulous.

Speaking of Greece: I love feta in a Greek Salad with olives (kalamata), red onion and cucumber.
zoya
de-lurks

I too am a cheese fiend and I think the best cheese on the planet is Ubriaco. Italian hard cow's milk cheese, soaked in red wine, then covered in grape leaves and aged 6-10 months. it's seriously the most orgasmic thing I've ever eaten. Not exaggerating.

re-lurks

raisingirl
Thanks, Bunny. I shall investigate next time I'm at the store!

Zoya, I will eat just about ANYTHING covered in grape leaves. *drool*
pollystyrene
QUOTE(zoya @ Jan 14 2009, 09:45 PM) *
de-lurks

I too am a cheese fiend and I think the best cheese on the planet is Ubriaco. Italian hard cow's milk cheese, soaked in red wine, then covered in grape leaves and aged 6-10 months. it's seriously the most orgasmic thing I've ever eaten. Not exaggerating.

re-lurks

Wow, that sounds amazing. I wonder if I can find it around here. Chicago is surprisingly lacking in cheese shops. I think it's in rebellion to our dairy-crazed neighbors to the north. There are a few places to get hard-to-find cheeses, but this one sounds rarer than most.

ETA: I assume you eat the grape leaves?
raisingirl
Polly, there's a cheese shop over here that has its own cheese cave, I think it may have been the first of its kind in the country when it first opened.
yuefie
Raisin, I know that Trader Joe's carries several varieties of cheese with "stuff" in them. I like their English style cheddar with carmelized onions. They also have a spring onion and sage derby layered cheese, as well as a Morrocan spiced cheddar and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head.
pollystyrene
I posted on the local foodie message board. Ubriaco was mentioned in a thread several years ago on there, so I just bumped the thread and asked if anyone had seen it lately.

ETA: I can attest to the deliciousness of that carmelized onion cheddar. Amazing. Haven't tried the others, but now I'll look for them @ TJ's!
bunnyb
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Jan 20 2009, 03:22 AM) *
Wow, that sounds amazing. I wonder if I can find it around here. Chicago is surprisingly lacking in cheese shops. I think it's in rebellion to our dairy-crazed neighbors to the north. There are a few places to get hard-to-find cheeses, but this one sounds rarer than most.

ETA: I assume you eat the grape leaves?

We had it at the weekend (bought from gourmet food market) and I can testify that it's delicious. I'll definitely be picking some up myself the next time I visit the market.
Photos are on facebook and it's the cheese on the left, next to the sausage, cut in chunky strips.

I don't recall the grape leaves... zoya, was that the hardened red skin?

I also have to say that anything infused with truffles is amazing, like the sausage we bought and the balsamic syrup. Mmmm.
yuefie
Oh yeah, I forgot that I also saw Truffled cheese at TJ's. They also have several varieties of fruit and white silton.

I'm a sucker for Cotswold Double Gloucester, but I love chive and cheese or really any sort of onion-y cheese.
raisingirl
I still haven't gone cheese shopping, but I have to say I wish I didn't discover how good crostini tastes dipped in hummos. It's that crunch + creaminess. Why couldn't I have stuck with the carrots and celery?

This post was brought to you by the letter C.
rubberdollz
I have this odd addiction to goat cheese. The other day I was at Whole Foods and found a goat's milk sharp cheddar cheese... raw. I gave it a try and I'm hooked. I could eat this stuff by the chunk full!!! Yummy! Cheese....... *drool*
chachaheels
Ubriaco--drunk cheese! Yay! I've only ever seen it red (stained from the wine soaking, but leafless) and I've always thought it was another one of those seasonal cheeses.

I can understand a cheese addiction, there is nothing odd about that. It's such a great food, and there are endless varieties of it too. You can have a new addiction every day of your life and very likely never taste the same type twice. All addictions should have that kind of hedge against boredom.
girltrouble
*delurks*mmmmm cheese....

my ex used to order some from some place on line and i swear, i have never loved cheese so much... i might have to go to the hole in the wall deli near me (i love that i can walk to an italian deli in my chinatown hood).

i found the best thai hot/garlic chili sauce! i used to love the rooster brand but this new stuff has the phenominal taste initially then it fades to this mellow hot... very nice. i might have to order some pho to eat it with....yum yum!

*relurks*
bunnyb
I have some Arran cheddar with cranberries and raspberries that I'm going to eat this weekend...

I am also desperately craving a bagel with buttered spinach and feta, mmmm.
zoya
hi all -

yea, the sort of purply-red rind on Ubriaco is from the wine - they just age it wrapped in grape leaves, they take them off the cheese when they remove it from the wine. So it just looks like regular cheese. I've had other "drunk" cheeses - there's an american company that does a cheddar - but they're not like ubriaco - they just kinda soak them in red wine - not actually age it for the better part of a year.

it's pretty expensive in the US, and kinda hard to find, even in season - I used to special order it from Whole Foods or sometimes a local cheese shop and it was like $18 / lb. I'd just get like 1/2 lb as a treat a couple times a year. SOOO worth it, though.

ETA - oh yeah, we went truffle crazy- sausage with truffles in it, balsamic syrup infused with truffles, we almost got Olive oil infused with truffles.. and didn't we taste something else with truffles? We had this vegan mushroom pate, also, which was divine.
pollystyrene
That sounds delish, zoya. The local foodie message board didn't have any answers (Ubriaco was mentioned in a thread about roquefort that hadn't active since 2005, and I resurrected it to ask about Ubriaco- no one answered my question, just a couple more posts about roquefort. Thanks, that's helpful.) so maybe I'll talk to someone at Whole Foods. LeBoy's brother gave us a gift card for WF, so maybe we'll use some of it on that.
sexysandee
I love cheese. In Texas we have Central Markets and they have an awesome cheese section. I love it because I can get a tiny piece and they even let me taste it before I buy it. I am going to have to try all the cheeses that you speak of... yummy
candycane_girl
Mmmmm, cheese! Speaking of cheese, I've been wanting to make my bf a romantic Valentine's day dinner (yeah, I know, it's mushy but I don't care) and I've been leaning towards gnocchi with maybe a gorgonzola cream sauce. Does this sound like a good idea? Should I try another type of cream sauce? Also is there any way that I could work shrimp into the recipe or is that too much?

On another note, I live super close to an amazing little cheese shop that's even been written about in the Globe and Mail. I can't wait to go in there and get some ingredients for my dish.
treehugger
QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Jan 26 2009, 03:22 PM) *
Mmmmm, cheese! Speaking of cheese, I've been wanting to make my bf a romantic Valentine's day dinner (yeah, I know, it's mushy but I don't care) and I've been leaning towards gnocchi with maybe a gorgonzola cream sauce. Does this sound like a good idea? Should I try another type of cream sauce? Also is there any way that I could work shrimp into the recipe or is that too much?

On another note, I live super close to an amazing little cheese shop that's even been written about in the Globe and Mail. I can't wait to go in there and get some ingredients for my dish.

I want to suggest a really amazing, indulgent, and I think romantic sauce if you truly have access to rare cheeses...it calls for Bel Paese cheese, which is a nice subtle one, it's italian. The sauce includes saffron (the most expensive spice in the world, but you only need a very small amount) and I've used shrimp or even LOBSTER with this sauce...it'll be a more subtle sauce than one made with gorgonzola though.

it's actually incredibly simple too. It's intended for pasta bowties, but I think gnocchi would work too.

1/2 pound dry farfalle pasta (I'm adding this to give you an idea of how much gnocchi you'd need)
2 Tbsp butter
a few threads of saffron (scant 1/4 tsp), crumbled
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 ounces grated Bel Paese cheese

In a saucepan large enough to hold the cooked pasta (gnocchi), melt the butter. Add the threads of saffron and cook them for a minute. Using the back of a spoon, push the saffron threads againsst the side of the pot to crush them a bit. Add the cream. Heat the sauce on low heat. Do not boil.

When the pasta (gnocchi) is done, drain it and add it to the saucepan. Add the grated cheese. Toss until the cheese melts. Serve immediately.

(When I add shrimp or lobster pieces, I add it right before the cheese)

(If you can't find Bel Paese cheese, freshly grated parmesan will work, although it will be a drier and sharper sauce. The bel paese cheese makes a creamy, subtle sauce which allows the saffron to predominate. I much prefer the bel paese)
pollystyrene
Ooo, and it's a cow cheese, tree. That sounds yummy.
bunnyb
It sounds amazing. I think it would go nicely with some poached salmon too.
candycane_girl
That sounds pretty interesting, tree. I haven't made any final decisions on what I want to make but I definitely want to try experimenting a bit more in the kitchen. I feel like I never know what to cook and I end up eating junk like pizza pops.
pollystyrene
We have a $50 gift card to Whole Foods that I was thinking of using for V-Day dinner. Anyone who shops there have any suggestions of what's good? Probably some sort of tasty organic, grass-fed meat, right?
bunnyb
polly, the boy and I visited the only Whole Foods in the UK when we first moved to London and bought the most amazing, organic steaks. Mmmm.
auralpoison
I had a very serious relationship with my WF fish guy. The butcher was good, but . . . fish guy was a godsend. He let me smell everything & if I called ahead, he'd pull choice fish for me. WF simpatico. I so would have sucked his dick when he saved me a bag of *really* fresh mussels. Perfect with Pernod, onions, & garlic.

One of my fave things about WF is heirloom tomaters. You can make such a simple, delicious, healthy salad out of them. Such robust flavours with such firm, delightful flesh. Maters are the perfect fruit. They were called love apples for a reason!
rubberdollz
Pollystrene... I've been shopping at WF for quite some time and when I used to buy meat from them I must say that I never got a bad cut. They are very tasty, fresh and because there are no hormones or anything it is an amazing meat taste. I've bought lamb from them and mmmm......

Although I can't say that I've had sucking dick kind of service such as AP has described, I've been quite happy with them. hahaha....

I'd say the best thing to do if you are looking for something pre-made, check out their online site. Or go in there with a plan and check out recipes online to get an idea of what you might like to make.
treehugger
I believe my aunt gets whole stuffed salmon from WF...At least I'm fairly sure that's where she gets it...she serves it for thanksgiving and it is delicious. (yes, my aunt bucks tradition...one of the reasons I love her!)
bunnyb
Stuffed salmon sounds good. All of their meat and fish looks tasty.

polly, I'm not sure if you have other plans for dessert but WF (here, at least) have delicious tarts in their bakery. I had a custard tart with seasonal fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries) and the boy had a chocolate and strawberry one; both tasted amazing.
yuefie
Polly, we just bought some "Spencer Rib Eye" steaks from WF last week and they were killer. I made a rub and let the steaks sit for 48 hours before searing them in a cast iron skillet and finishing in the oven. After they came out I added some stuff to make a quick pan sauce and served it with mashed yukon gold taters and garlicky green beans. The steaks were SO good, tender and very tasty.

Tree, that sauce sounds decadent and perfect for a date dinner or for V-day.
rubberdollz
I just bought 2 cornish game hens, roasted them in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours. Afterwards I mixed some wine, chicken broth and grapes for the sauce and added a little arrowroot to thicken. Dinner is served... well tomorrow night that is!

I bought these little cheesecake bites from WF a few weeks back for a treat. My husband and I loved them! They were really good, especially the chocolate swirly one. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a little whole cheesecake for a valentines treat or his birthday treat the week after? I'm thinking about making a valentines dinner instead of going out into the crowds, except he gets off work at 8pm that night. hmmmm.... I'm thinking about making a steak but not quite sure how I'm going to prepare it just yet....
bunnyb
Some more cheese-related talk: we had dinner at my aunt's at the weekend and on the cheese board was a tasty black pepper boursin. I couldn't have this a lot as the pepper is strong but it was a nice cheese.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.