Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: barefoot, precocious, and in the kitchen
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
lorewolf
How do you make a Guiness chocolate cake?

And have you tried the Ben & Jerry's Black & Tan? It's actually quite yummy!
damona
i made a yummy roast chicken and veggies dinner last night.. the chicken was so tender you didn't even need a knife to cut it! tasty tasty.

we get $447 a month for food and use all of it and sometimes more.
raisingirl
Lorewolf, there's a recipe for that cake in the archives; search for "Guinness" and you should find it.

Ms Goofball, sounds like you have nice friends!
sixelacat
OMG, I just grilled some haddock with cumin, flaked it up and made fish tacos with pico de gallo and black beans and corn all mixed together and it was SO good!
pollystyrene
Mmm, that sounds good, sixelacat! I need to expand my fish repertoire a little more- I competently make tilapia, salmon and shrimp.

I'm making chorizo & artichoke heart quesadillas on Thursday- by that time my chorizo should be thawed.

I'm also thawing a boneless turkey breast...I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it- any ideas? I was thinking of breaking out the crockpot for it, but I can't find any recipes for that.
treehugger
Speaking of fish, the boy and I made blackened catfish last night. But the (storebought) blackening spice was way too salty. I told him I'd try to find a good homemade recipe for the spice mix with less salt. I'd like to make a BUNCH. Does anybody have a recipe?
turbojenn
treehugger - for all my spice needs, I go to The Spice House. I am lucky enough to go to the shop, but their mail order is excellent too, and I've never found any of their blends to be too salty - and they're extremely fresh!
sixelacat
treehugger-on turbojenn's link there's a search engine for recipes, and they have a recipe for grilled catfish seasoning blend....
quantumspice
i've been ordering from penzey's since visiting their twin cities stores.
karianne
When I got married in October, someone gave us a box of Penzey's spices. It was the nicest gift evah.

turbojenn
qspice...interestingly enough - Penzeys and Spice House are the same family!! I think Penzey's is the father of the folks that run the spice house. Both have excellent products.

Alton Brown did a big segment on one of his shows in the Spice House....very fun!
raisingirl
I like the glass jars that Penzeys sells.

I have brownies* baking in the oven at this very moment for no reason at all other than it's F-r-i-d-a-y! I'm so lame. No, actually, I'm going to bring some to my grandma's and to my cousin's house.

And after the brownies are done, I'm going to keep the oven on, turn it up a bit, and cook some ass-paragus.

No one else is excited about blueberries? I have a blueberry soup that I've started to make every year. I took it from some cookbook I've long since forgotten about (probably from the library). So easy and so yum.

::waves hi to Loli::

*MaRaisin's legendary recipe, only I've reduced the quantities of butter and sugar to see if it makes a difference. I'm betting it doesn't make one iota of a difference.
treehugger
Ya know, we have a Penzey's here. I really have no excuse, I should go stop. Especially since it *can* be on my way home depending on the route I take. I should check it out for some blackening spice.

I've gotten some really good blackening spice in New Orleans, at the french market, but I forgot to pick some up this time. And me living in Yankeeville Wisconsin, it's pretty limited. I'll check out Penzeys.

By the way, Excellent key lime pie: 20 key limes, squeeze to make about 1/2 cup of juice, one can 14 ounce? sweetened condensed milk, and 3 egg yolks. Blend together and bake in a graham cracker crust(I cheated and used a premade one) at 350 for 15 minutes. Let it stand for 15 minutes before chilling.

OMG it's so good.

And it's so easy I made it for myself for comfort food WHILE I had the flu! Yummmm....
pepper
steamed baby carrots with honey, butter and tamari
red, gold and purple baby potatoes smashed with salt, butter and dill
organic spiced guiness buffalo sausages with alfredo sauce.
and a glass of red wine.
just because it't friday.
erinjane
Mmm...I love coming in here and reading what everyone ate. I'm getting more into cooking a lot more this year. I guess I actually do take after my mother, just took a while to emerge.

I love cooking with fresh veggies. I'm a veggie snob and refuse to buy a bag of frozen broccoli when it takes me 15minutes tops to chop it and throw it in boiling water. Last night I made an awesome stirfry full of all sorts of deliciousness and practically nothing unhealthy.

Keep the fresh veggie recipes coming!
pepper
dinner last night with friends in from out of town:

huge salad with miso vinagrette, yum!
quinoa salad (quinoa with sauteed celery and red onion, sprinkled with parsley and seasoned with lemon, butter and tamari)
sauteed portobello mushrooms, leek, red pepper and asparagus (butter and tamari, my favourites it seems)
baked pork kebabs marinated in tomato and herbs.
Lots of red and white wine.

so nice.

tonight i went to a middle eastern potluck, gah i am So stuffed!
lorewolf
Forgive me Precocious-BUSTies, for I have sinned...
Friday night, I made the heaviest cream sauce spaghetti evar! It had garlic, heavy whipping cream, asparigus, yellow bell peppers, lime juice, cream cheese, mizithra cheese, proscuitto ham, zucchini, white pepper, salt, and fresh basil and dill. The strongest flavors were the dill and mizithra. Ooh, it was comatoliscious! We'll never work those calories off, though. I'm afraid the fat from that one will be encoded into our genes and passed on to the next generation!

Oh yeah, and thanks for all the advice about making a Mexican-esque pizza! My attempt didn't go so well because my wife got the news that she was turned down for a job she was really putting a lot into acquiring. The news came right before I started cooking, and I basically had to cook, eat with her, and then go to sleep right away due to how early I had to wake up and how late we got home. She was totally distraught and feeling rejected while I was cooking, so I didn't put a ton of effort into the meal so that I could be more there for her during that time. She really didn't care what that meal tasted like anyway. She was just bummed.

Happily, though, she was accepted for an even better job that she had less hope for originally. She's really happy, and I'm totally proud of her, and I'll just have to take another stab at Mexicanish flat-baked cuisine.
quantumspice
for the record! i am such a slacker that i still haven't broken the cooking cherry in my apartment, unless reheating leftovers counts. but in my defense, i didn't find the box with the pots and pans until last night. (somehow, it ended up in the bedroom, despite being marked as 'kitchen')

...which means, of course, the dishwasher broke. oy. i guess i'm going to have to go run and get a stopper after work.

unrelated: my favorite thing to do with my leftover chipotle (or chile, depending on what i've got on hand) refried beans and chorizo. mmmmm. that, plus tomatoes, red onion, peppers (chile or just plain bells) and colby jack make for a deeeeeeeelish 'za. and i could eat sooooo much of it. seriously.
quietmadness
A little off the "food" thread subject, but:

I bought a new set of TODD ENGLISH cookware!

Heavy, non-stick, and oh-my-bogs-I'm-lovin-it-good!

I still have a set of heavy stainless, too.

I'm officially in love--just thought I'd throw that in the bustie precocious basket!
karianne
Lorewolf, I am positively drooling over that pasta dish. O.M.G.

Mr K & I grilled out some steak & portobellos last night & made a salad with them. Pretty tasty. We used celery, Kirby cukes, red onion, feta, & some romaine.

I am going to get creative with recipes this week, in effort to save some money at the grocery store.
pollystyrene
We're having leftover chorizo tonight, too! We had the first sausage on Saturday night, with chorizo and artichoke heart quesadillas. I had to make the second sausage, so tonight we're going to put scrambled eggs, chorizo and some chihuahua cheese in a tortilla- yum!

Tomorrow we're having Moroccan skirt steak with yogurt sauce.
turbojenn
all this yummy food in here....Lore, good maude, that pasta sounds *killer!*

And Todd English cookware - HOT!

And chorizo all around!

I was too mopey to cook tonight, so we got take out sushi...shouldn't have spent the money, but sometimes on a monday, you just need a little pick-me-up din din.
sixelacat
Lorewolf, my cholesterol went up just reading your post!

Super jealous of the Todd English cookware. I just can't seem to give up my cast iron, though. I bought a nice set of stainless steel a couple of years ago and still mostly use the cast iron (it's just cured so nicely I feel emotionally invested in it....)

No motivation to actually cook any meals today. I've just been munching on edamame all day long....
turbojenn
six, if I had nice, well seasoned cast iron, I wouldn't give it up either!!! My brother-in-law and I fought furiously over my MILs 40 year seasoned cookware after she passed. I lost. boo. But I'm working on a good pan of my own, and nothing heats like cast iron. Good stuff.

I'm working through a vat of chicken salad that I made this weekend for easy lunches this week - I marinated and grilled up a bunch of chicken thighs, then I toss it with fresh peas, sliced red onion, thinly sliced celery, apples, red pepper, pea pods, and then dress it with a simple vinaigrette, and throw it on top of a pile of lettuce...it takes some time to make, but its tasty, healthy, and I can just grab it from the fridge in the morning.
lorewolf
*blush*

Mmmm! I could use easy lunches this week! chicken salad with apples? Sounds great! Gonna try that, TurboJenn! :-)

Last night, I took my first try at chicken cordon bleu. I hammered out a couple of chicken breast halves with a rolling pin. Then, I made mix of finely sliced asparigus, proscuitto ham, garlic, and muenster combined into a mug I microwaved for 10 seconds with butter, salt, and lime juice. I sprinkled salt on the chicken, then smoothed on the mixture and rolled them up. Then, I sprinkled them with flour, rubbed butter on them, and then sprinkled them with crumbs from a stale and stiff baugette that I took a cheese grater to.

It was yummy, but I still think I'm missing out on something. Well, I only used muenster cheese because I somehow mistook it for Swiss in the store. Chicken cordon bleu often comes with a white sauce on it, too, but I thought it sounded like overkill. Maybe there's a bitter vegetable or spice that I'm missing in it, though. That's what my tastebuds tell me, anyway.

Oh, and I'm going to try your chorizo/refried pizza idea, QuantumSpice! Maybe I'll do a bullseye pattern of that in the middle and some kind of mole' chicken around the rim.
sixelacat
Sounds like it just needs the bleu cheese bite, lorewolf. That might be just me, though. The only time I ever have bleu cheese, stilton, and the like is when I'm PMSing really hard and get weird cravings (I'm sure you know what that's like lol).

Have you ever tried chicken kiev? I have a really nice recipe for it that's not all greasy/icky like a lot tend to be. Let me know if anyone wants the recipe....

Also just rediscovered an old favorite snack: cream cheese on a wheat crisp topped with jalepeno jelly. Yum!
yuefie
oh man, sixela that is one of my favorite snacks from my teenage years. YUM. I love jalapeno jelly, so great with cream cheese.

Pepperoncini peppers are really good with cream cheese too. I was at a party once where one of the hors d'voeurs were peices of hard salame spread with cream cheese and rolled around a peppercini, secured with a toothpick. That tray went the fastest too.

sixelacat
Yay, I'm not the only one who likes pepperoncini + cream cheese! There's a pizza place near my apt that will make me cream cheese/pepperoncini pizzas. I'm afraid to move away.....so good....
quantumspice
i am popping that new kitchen cherry today! it's the stressful day - i worked 10 hrs today. not including the time i was at lunch. ick.

so, chicken and mushroom marsala with pasta, butter lettuce and spinach salad (too tired to do more), garlic bread, and (purchased) cannoli for dessert!

the leftovers will be lunch tomorrow. mm, mm, good.
turbojenn
ok, I am officially jealous of your dinner qspice! For being tired, that all sounds damned ambitious to me!

Me, spaghetti. that's it. that's all. But there will be strawberry & hot fudge sundaes for dessert. I'll be looking forward to that at least.
turbojenn
damned double taco!
quantumspice
it sounds ambitious, but you know what? most of it isn't exactly hard work. my chicken and mushroom marsala recipe involves no chopping, slicing, or dicing (at least... not when one buys pre-sliced 'shrooms). it's just a little brine, cook, and sauce-making... the salad is a simple lettuce one from a pre-mixed bag... the pasta of course just requires boiling water... and the garlic bread is the only one that's actually work with melting and slathering and garlicking and broiling.

it's yummy, somewhat fast, and doesn't exactly take alot of effort on my part!
lorewolf
SixelaCat, bleu cheese sounds PERFECT for it! Well, except that my wife hates the stuff, but I think that's a perfect flavor to complete the chicken cordon bleu. Mmmmm... bleu chese & chicken sounds awesome!

So how do you do Chicken Kiev?

And Quantum, how did you do that marsala? I've never been satisfied with my attempts at marsala.
quantumspice
i use cooking for engineer's chicken and mushroom marsala. if i've got them, i like to use a mix of baby bellas, shiitake, and buttons for the mushrooms. i also usually double the mushrooms coz i love them. and quarter them instead of slice.

it's different from the roux and stock version, but i like the silkiness the cream gives.
pollystyrene
We ended up making the Moroccan Skirt Steak with Yogurt tonight. It was sooooo good. And there's leftovers for tomorrow!

Here's the recipe if you're interested:

Skirt Steak with Moroccan Spice Rub and Yogurt Sauce
Serves 4

1 1/4 pounds skirt steak, cut into 6-inch lengths
3 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons Moroccan Spice Rub (see below)
3/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt (we used Greek yogurt)
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, smashed
1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapeños
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 large pita breads, for serving (I used onion flatbread)

Romaine lettuce leaves, for serving

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat grill. Rub the steaks all over with 3 tablespoons of the spice rub and let stand for 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, scallions, garlic, jalapeños and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of the spice rub. Stir in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

3. Brush the steaks lightly with olive oil and grill over high heat, turning occasionally, for 7 to 8 minutes for medium-rare meat. Brush the pitas with olive oil and grill until lightly toasted, about 30 seconds. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steaks across the grain. Transfer the steaks to a platter and serve with the toasted pita, yogurt sauce and lettuce leaves.

Moroccan Spice Rub
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground fennel (I'm not a fennel fan, so instead I added extra garlic powder and some chopped mint to the part I put in the yogurt sauce)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
sixelacat
Chicken Kiev

Herb Butter:
8 T unsalted butter, soft
1 T minced shallot
1 T minced fresh parsley
½ t minced fresh tarragon
1 T juice from 1 lemon
salt and fresh ground pepper (always to taste, of course)

Mix together thoroughly, form into 3" square on plastic wrap, wrap tightly and refrigerate until firm (an hour or so)

Chicken:
4-5 slices white bread, food processed into crumbs (about 3 ½ C)
2 T vegetable oil
4 boneless, skinless breasts, tenderloins removed
1 C all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, beaten
1 t Dijon mustard

Put oven rack in lower/middle position and preheat to 300 degrees. Salt/pepper crumbs, mix with vegetable oil until evenly coated, then spread onto cookie sheet. Toast crumbs in oven (takes about 25 min), stir a couple of times during. Should get 2 ½ C crumbs.

Starting on the thinnest side, butterfly breast by slicing lengthwise almost in half. Open breast up to create a single, flat cutlet. With cutlet between sheets of plastic wrap, pound (starting at center) to 1/4" thickness. Pound outer perimeter to 1/8" thickness. *That's the important bit to get them to not be all leaky*
Unwrap butter and cut into 4 rectangular pieces. Place breast cut side up on counter, season both sides with salt/pepper. Place butter piece near tapered end of cutlet and roll up end to cover completely. Fold in sides and continue rolling to form cylinder (kind of like you would a burrito), pressing on seam to seal. Refrigerate uncovered for about an hour, to allow edges to seal up.
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place flour, eggs, and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes. Season flour and bread crumbs with a bit of salt/pepper. Whisk mustard into eggs. Dredge chicken breast in flour (shake off excess), roll in egg mix (let excess drip off), and roll in bread crumbs, pressing very gently so crumbs stick.
Place on wire rack set over rimmed baking sheet. Bake 40-45 minutes (insta-read therm. inserted into chicken middle from the top of roll should read 160 degrees). Let rest for 5 min. on rack before serving.

If you’re going to freeze them, wrap them in wax paper then place them in a freezer bag. When you want to cook them pop them into a 350 degree oven straight from the freezer and cook for about an hour (definitely use thermometer if you have one)
quietmadness
Ohhhh....DAYUM!

Y'all's food sounds SOOO good--I'm thinkin' a makin' some-uh-that chicken salad Turbojenn was talkin' about...

That steak & mushrooms sounds awesome, too--and the chicken kiev--well, I'd clean a house for some of that!

*lurks off to plan menus*
quantumspice
right now, i'm braising some cross cut beef shanks in red wine, tomatoes, onions, and carrots ... it smells sooo good right now! i'll be startin' the mashed potatoes soon.

the marsala made for an excellent lunch today, and i think that this, leftover, will make for an excellent lunch tomorrow.

tomorrow? don't know what that will be. the options are something involving chicken thighs, ground chuck, pork chops, or a slab of beef... the moroccan skirt steak sounds divine, though!
treehugger
Does anybody have a recipe for a good gazpacho? I just love it during the summertime. One summer I lucked out by just sort of combining the best aspects of like three different recipes...but I can't seem to replicate it. ??
lorewolf
That happens to me, too, TreeHugger. I'm always 50% or so just winging it. Sometimes I buy and prepare, and then forget to add ingredients.

Thanks for the recipes, though! :-) I wish I had this whole thread printed out to browse through.
zora
I'm looking for the Rosie's Bakery recipe for Chocolate Orgasms. Anyone have it that's willing to post it here?
raisingirl
Hmmmm... I'm near a Rosie's, yet I never ever go in there. I've always associated Rosie's with having overly sweet desserts (yes, IMO such a thing is possible and I am a dessert fiend) and I'm not sure where that idea comes from. Zora, after your LJ entry, I got to thinking about it. Maybe I'll look in the window next time. I've not tried this recipe. Come back and report to us if you do try it.

Chocolate Orgasms

4 ounces Unsweetened chocolate
8 tablespoons Unsalted butter, room temp
1 1/4 cups Plus 1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
3 large Eggs, room temp
3/4 cup All-purpose flour
1/2 cup Plus 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts

Frosting
1 1/2 ounces Unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup Evaporated milk
1/3 cup Sugar

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease an 8-inch square pan with butter or vegetable oil. Melt the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler placed over simmering water. Cool the mixture for 5 minutes.

Place the sugar in a medium-size mixing bowl and pour in the chocolate mixture. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, mix until blended, about 25 seconds. Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the vanilla. With the mixer on medium-low speed, add the eggs one at a time, blending after each addition until the yolk is broken and dispersed, about 10 seconds. Scrape the bowl after the last egg and blend until velvety, about 15 more seconds.

Add the flour on low speed and mix for 20 seconds; finish the mixing by hand, being certain to mix in any flour at the bottom of the bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup of the nuts. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and sprinkle the remaining 2 Tbsp of nuts over the top.

Bake the brownies on the center oven rack until a thin crust forms on top and a tester inserted in the center comes out with a moist crumb, about 35 minutes. (The center of the brownies should never quite rise to the height of the edges.)

Remove pan from oven and place on a rack to cool for 1 hour.

FROSTING: To prepare the frosting, melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler placed over simmering water. Pour the evaporated milk into an electric blender and add the sugar and the melted chocolate. Blend the frosting on medium-low speed until it thickens, about 50 seconds (the sound of the machine will change when this process occurs.)

Using a frosting spatula, spread the frosting evenly over the surface of the cooled brownies and allow them to sit for 1 hour before cutting. Makes 36 small brownies.

FROM: Rosie's Bakery All-Butter Fresh Cream Sugar-Packed No-Holds-Barred Baking Book by Judy Rosenberg.
quantumspice
aAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

i love chocolate orgasms!! so does tes!! :P

it's a great base brownie recipe, and i've made it about 1000 times in the years since i first got the recipe. one of my favorite ways to have it involves turning it into a one-layer schwarzwälder kirschtorte.
raisingirl
Oh my gawd, is that an X-rated salt and pepper shaker, Quantum? Hubba hubba!
quantumspice
hahahaha indeed it is!! my old roommate thought that since i had no s&p shaker set for the table... i needed an x-rated one. don't you love the little sequin nipples?

i'm not entirely sure what the logic was, because i wouldn't have a pepper shaker on the table anyway ... i've got a pepper mill - two, actually, because i have a nice wooden one for the table, and an ugly stainless one for the kitchen... easy cleanup & can be tossed in the dw whenever it's empty! and she KNEW about the pepper mills because i had them when we lived together!

btw, that little piece of heaven was soooooo good. it was a great conclusion to an awesome meal. ooh, i remember that meal QUITE fondly! i served a spiced pork tenderloin with a beaujolais cherry sauce, garlic green beans with fennel, mashed potatoes, salad, crusty bread, looooooooooots of tasty drinks (mulled apple cider with rum and butterscotch schnapps, beaugolais, muscato), those brownies....
battygurl
My sister works at a farmer's market and she brought me back some free oyster mushrooms. Any idea what they'd be good in? I'm vegetarian, btw, but not vegan (still eat cheese, sour cream, and butter).

ETA: I just found a couple of recipes online for breaded mushrooms. The basic idea is that you saute them in oil and coat in bread crumbs, adding spices if desired. has anyone ever done this? Do you think oyster mushrooms would work?
quantumspice
with green beanspasta, in stir fry, cream of mushroom casserole (or for that matter, cream of mushroom soup), as part of a mushroom risotto, frittata, with chicken marasala (er, i guess since you don't eat chicken, you could just make it mushroom marsala and use a mix of mushrooms instead), etc
erinjane
rainsingirl, i'm giving that recipe a try. The brownies just came out of the oven but I won't have a chance to taste 'em till tomorrow. However, they smell divine.
berenguela
treehugger --- this is how I make gazpacho:

I rip up a thick piece of nice bread (staleish is fine) and put it in a food processor and pour about 2 tbs of red wine vinegar and 2 tbs of oil on it to let it soak in. I also put salt and pepper on it and I throw in a garlic clove. Then I process the bejeesus out of it.

Next I add about 1/2 a cucumber, 1/2 a green pepper, and half a medium onion. I process that mess up with the bread, but leave the vegetables chopped in tiny pieces, not a pureed mush.

I pour all of that into a bowl, pour a can of tomato juice over it (last time I used Campbell's), chill it and then it is done. Very easy and yummy.
doodlebug
Does anyone know how long potato salad (homemade, with eggs and mayonnaise) generally lasts in the fridge?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.